JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Interpreting the 70 Weeks

• 2 months later...

(Daniel 9:24-27) Why do you think there are so many interpretations of Daniel’s vision of the Seventy Sevens? What is your interpretation of the various key parts of the vision? 

There are four major interpretations of the Seventy Sevens:

1. Literal time periods with Antiochus Epiphanes as the end-point
2. Symbolic time periods with the first century AD as the end-point
3. Literal time periods with Christ's Second Coming as the end-point
4.  Symbolic time periods with Christ's Second Coming as the end-point

Why? It is because we are looking back into the past and trying to decipher the events that happened and what each writer (or God) actually meant. Each "interpreter" would see things from his/her perspective and which is largely shaped by their upbringing, experience, education and intellectual capability. From this point of view, there is no right or wrong. God (and history) will be our judge.

Generally, I am agreeable with the following:

Numbers. Our interpretation of the numbers and years do not fit. While the difference due to precision is only one issue, I believe there is a missing piece that has not been discovered (or revealed to us) yet.

Anointed One. I believe that "the anointed one" in both verses 25 and 26 refers to Jesus the Messiah.

Antichrist. I believe that the antichrist has not revealed himself yet.

The End. It is also clear to me that this refers to judgment by the Ancient of Days and his Christ, the Son of Man, when Christ returns, the believers are raised, and the final judgment takes place.

There are so many interpretations of 9:24 because the LORD chose not to reveal every single piece of the puzzle and we try to fill in the gaps for what we can't clearly see. We come at it from differing human perspectives, experiences, knowledge, spiritual maturity, faith. What we all should be mindful of is that not one of us knows completely or for certain the minute details of what the LORD is going to do or how He will do it, and He has determined that those details are not for us to know.

I do believe it's clear that Gabriel's explanation of this vision is directly linked to the Jews and Jerusalem, so all understanding must begin there and center on them. For me at this point, here are my "interpretations" of the varied key parts of the prophecy of 70 sets of 7 years.

1)Among the widely varied interpretations among trusted Bible scholars/teachers, there are those who do believe the numbers of a literal 70 sets of 7 years are completely possible in the time line. I am no scholared expert and can only rely on what the Spirit shows me as I seek His wisdom in my efforts to study just Scripture for the most part, but I lean in that direction. I will continue to evaluate any change in that understanding and seek the Spirit's guidance. To me, this detail of numbers is very interesting but not crucial.  It's all going to happen according to God's will, so we just need to stay ready.

As an aside here, I came across an interesting article with a line of thought to consider that I've never seen before. It discusses calculation of the 70 weeks on the basis of a Jewish ”Sabbatical Week” solar-based calender that's founded on the year's agricultural cycles, not the cycles of the moon (which would quickly fall out of alignment with the seasons and requires the addition of calendar days to keep up). The intriguing premise here is that this calendar does not factor in Jubilee years, which followed every set of seven 7-year cycles (49 yrs.) but were never reckoned in the count of years (49 years + 1 Jubilee = 50 yrs). The author proposes that the “missing” uncounted Jubilee years (that were consecrated for celebration and rest from work) perhaps help explain seeming “discrepancies” or difficulties in the time line. Just a bit of food for thought to add to the discussion! (I make no endorsement of this website and disagree with some of its positions.) The online address is http://www.answersinrevelation.org/chronology/70weeks.pdf

2)The only Anointed One who can truly fulfill the purposes and work of the “70 weeks” is Christ Jesus.

3)The “prince who is to come” (ESV) is the antichrist, the future “man of lawlessness” who will ultimately be responsible for the abomination of desolation. He will cause indescribable suffering and persecution of the Jews that will affect the entire world. This warning about him is echoed by Jesus, Paul, and John.

4)This time of unparalleled intense oppression is the Great Tribulation, the 70th and final set of seven years for the Jews that has yet to be fulfilled. I think that the absence of any real clue or mention of the Church during this time of persecution here in Daniel or in the Revelation is meaningful. It is definitely a puzzle with pieces missing, but honestly, the more I study, the more firmly I think the Church will be raptured before the Great Tribulation begins. There are numerous unanswered questions and “problems” either way. But for all we don't know for certain, there is one thing I am positive of, a specific promise that I can't get away from.

In 2Thessalonians 2:6-7, Paul wrote of the “mystery of lawlessness” which is already at work in the world, but under a restraining influence. That barrier to the full-blown height of sin is identified as a “he” who will continue to restrain it “until he is out of the way”. Once the lone suppressing influence is removed, the man of lawlessness is revealed (vs.7-8). I believe this “he” is the Holy Spirit, the only force on earth that could hold back the spirit of lawlessness. Prior to the revealing of antichrist and his rise to domination, the Spirit will withdraw in order for unbridled evil to be brought to fullness in preparation for its utter destruction. So one of two things will have to happen, as I see it. Either the Spirit leaves the Body of Christ here on earth or the Body of Christ leaves this earth with the Spirit. In a Word given specifically to His Body of believers, Jesus promised and guaranteed that the Comforter is set on us as a seal and will never leave us (John 14:16; 2Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 1:13-14). I can only conclude that when the Spirit goes, the Church goes with Him.

5)There is a defined and definite end that's been decreed to be poured out on the antichrist who ruthlessly persecutes the Jews and desolates the temple of the LORD. The 70th week will complete and end Daniel's prophetic vision and usher in the millennial reign of Christ. God will fulfill His promise to deliver His people!

These are my understandings, which I have peace about but am not going to argue over. I continue to examine other opinions and seek God's help in discernment of what I am to know. Regardless of differences, I know we're all called to be watchful and united, remain true to the gospel and spiritually prepared, stay strong and courageous in faith, and humbly intercede for others as we await the revealing of God's final manifestation of redemption.

Q3. (Daniel 9:24-27) Why do you think there are so many interpretations of Daniel's vision of the Seventy Sevens? THERE ARE AS MANY INTERPRETATIONS AS THERE ARE PEOPLE WITH ACCESS TO THE DATA.  If we are alive, we have bodies and opinions are like bodies, we all have one.

What is your interpretation of the various key parts of the vision? GOD IS RESERVING THE FINAL INTERPRETATION FOR HIMSELF.  Like the late bus in Jamaica, it will be interpreted when it is delivered.  Stay tuned. 

There are so many interpretations because God has not revealed the true interpretation to us yet.  He has, however given us signs.

I tend toward the pre-wrath rapture of the church and the interpretations that follow.  Last year I read a great book which gave me a new understanding of those times and saw how scriptures throughout the Bible on the last times make sense.  The book is "The Pre-Wrath Rapture of the Church" by Marvin Rosenthal.

(Daniel 9:24-27) Why do you think there are so many interpretations of Daniel’s vision of the Seventy Sevens? What is your interpretation of the various key parts of the vision? ​

There are so many interpretations because of so many people thinking and not relying on God to reveal to them the mysteries.  In my opinion God has not chosen to reveal the entire vision to anyone too.  Some out of curiosity or to gain fame make their own calculations. 

While I am not able to interpret too, the very fact that the end of this wicked world is coming and Jesus is coming back encourages me to live everyday with joy and expectation. 

Q3. (Daniel 9:24-27) Why do you think there are so many interpretations of Daniel's vision of the Seventy Sevens? What is your interpretation of the various key parts of the vision?

Some of this is not set in stone and there will be differing thoughts on the matter.  I cannot help and wonder if God is looking down on us and maybe laughing at how set in stone we are at something that is not set in stone.  Also I believe He gave in us the desire to search the scriptures and to explore the mysteries.  It is rather exciting.

I believe in the pretrib rapture of the church, however all though I never knew the timing I never thought I would see what is going on today.  It is  distressing to see the terrible suffering, the straying away from the faith among other things.  God's timing is perfect and He wants no one to perish.  So we are in the end just to trust in Him who is faithful and just.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Remember "What a mighty God we serve, heaven and earth adore Him, angels bow before Him, what a mighty God we serve."

Q3. (Daniel 9:24-27) Why do you think there are so many interpretations of Daniel's vision of the Seventy Sevens? What is your interpretation of the various key parts of the vision?

Everyone comes from a different perspective and we each see things a little different because of our upbringing and how we look at the world.  For example,, some see the world getting better toward the end and others see the world getting worse.  I have learned over the years to not have a knee-jerk reaction when I hear something I disagree with, but rather slow down my reaction to listen to the person's perspective and evaluate it according to Scripture.  I have been blessed by learning from others that have both refined my thinking and have reaffirmed my viewpoints on things.  But in most interactions, I have build bridges instead of walls with those I don't necessarily agree with in the non-essentials.  We have often found common ground and we have found that we agree on much more than we disagree about.

The harder question for me is, what is my interpretation?   I am still sorting all this out and, admittedly, I do not have a mind that is very good at sorting out end times puzzles.  It is for this reason, in part, that I am participating in this class, to deepen my understanding of Daniel.  However, saying this, I would tend to go along with our teacher.  

Numbers. I do think we need to understand this issues, like numbers like the ones who wrote these things down.  I believe God can be precise in numbers, but I also think that there are symbolic numbers that estimate events.  However, I am continually amazed when events prophetically work out pretty close to the time predicted. 

Anointed One. I would agree that it seems the Anointed One refers to Jesus.  

Antichrist. John in his letter talks about many antichrists who come into the world.  However, I believe that Jesus and Paul spoke of one specific antichrist who will come in the end.

Tribulation and Final Half-Week. Dr Ralph said, "The Final Week of Daniel's Seventy Weeks seems to refer to the same period of Great Tribulation that we see in Jesus' teaching on the Last Days (Matthew 24) and Paul's exposition on the Man of Lawlessness (2 Thessalonians 2).  I would agree with this statement. However, I am cautious about interpreting Scripture from a purely Western viewpoint of events.  I have heard people interpret the Great Tribulation as when it will happen in the West.  However, when we take into account that there is intense persecution in other parts of the world already happening right now, how does that fit into the prophecy?  My concern is that we have too narrow of an interpretation that focuses only on "us" in the West.

The End. I would also agree with this interpretation.  Dr Ralph says, "It is also clear to me that "the end that is decreed" (12:27) refers to judgment by the Ancient of Days and his Christ, the Son of Man (7:9-14, 26-27), when Christ returns, the believers are raised, and the final judgment takes place.

Someone once told me that when we get to heaven, it will be interesting to understand God's truth in a fuller, richer way and then we will see how we all had Truth, but none of us got it completely right.  With that idea in mind, I am not and probably will not be dogmatic on interpretations unless they are clearly Biblical.  If there are puzzle pieces missing, that can definitely affect our understanding and interpretation. This study has been helpful for me.  

Why do you think there are so many interpretations of Daniel's vision of the Seventy Sevens?

I  believe that there are so many interpretations of Daniel's vision of the Seventy Sevens because not all of the pieces seem to click together. For instance:

1. Numbers - All of Daniel'snumbers don't seem to come out precisely.

2. Anointed One. I believe that "the anointed one" in both verses 25 and 26 refers to Jesus the Messiah, not to an anointed high priest.

3. The Antichrist has not arrived yet. He will be a ruler of the people who will arrive in the future.

4. Tribulation and Final Half-Week. This possibly referrs to the final week of Daniel's Seventy Weeks and seems to refer to the same period of the Great Tribulation that we see in Jesus' teaching on the Last Days and Paul's exposition on the Man of Lawlessness. "In the middle of the 'seven'" the persecution seems to be the greatest. This seems to conform to the three-and-one-half year time frame that we see elsewhere in Daniel and in Revelation.

What is my interpretation of the various key parts of the vision?

There are so many differentions of these interpretations about the various key parts of Daniel's vision that it is actually hard to put the correct pieces all together.

My interpretations about the various parts of Daniel's vision are:

1. Daniel's numbers do not come out correctly or precise.

2. Anointed One. I believe that "the anointed one" in both verses 25 and 26 refers to Jesus the Messiah, not to an anointed high priest.

3. Antichrist. The Anti-Christ is not here yet, but he will arrive in the future to rule over the people until Jesus returns in his glory to raise up his people.

4. Tribulation and Final Half-Week. The Final Week of Daniel's Seventy Weeks seems to refer to the same period of Great Tribulation that we see in Jesus' teaching on the Last Days and Paul's exposition on the Man of Lawlessness. "In the middle of the 'seven'" the persecution seems to be the greatest.

5. The End. It is also clear to me that "the end that is decreed" refers to judgment by the Ancient of Days and his Christ, the Son of Man, when Christ returns, the believers are raised, and the final judgment takes place. "Oh Happy Day" :)

Q3. (Daniel 9:24-27) Why do you think there are so many interpretations of Daniel’s vision of the Seventy Sevens? What is your interpretation of the various key parts of the vision?

• I think there are so many interpretations of Daniel’s vision of the Seventy Sevens because of everyone’s different paradigms.  Everyone wants to have the correct answer. 
  • 1)[DISCLAIMERMY INTERPRETATION ONLY BASED ON [MY] UNDERSTANDING]There are seventy weeks determined relative to a redemption from another sort of captivity, which shall commence with the going forth of the edict to restore and rebuild Jerusalem, and shall terminate with the death of Messiah the Prince, and the total abolition of the Jewish sacrifices. [verse 25]) The above seventy weeks, or four hundred and ninety years, are divided, in verse 25, into three distinct periods, to each of which particular events are assigned. The three periods are:— Seven weeks or 7 weeks x 7, = forty-nine years, sixty-two weeks or 62 weeks x 7, = four hundred and thirty-four years, and one week, or 1 week x 7 = seven years. [49 years + 434 years + 7 years = 490 years] [verse 26]  3) It appears in my opinion a timeline discussing the rebuilding of the wall in Jerusalem until the birth of Jesus.  It then discusses a period after the birth of Christ [62 weeks x 7 = 434 years] where his people would be cut off [verse 26 cont.] For 1 week [during Passover when Jesus became the Passover Lamb this is when the redemption for God’s people occurs [verse 27].  We have been set free, our King Priest is now Jesus.  The last week was the Lord's life climaxing in the tearing of the veil of the temple. There is no more Levitical Priesthood, no more animal sacrifices, no more tithing, no need to go to the temple [Gods spirit does not dwell in temples made with man’s hands Acts 7:48, Acts 17:24], we can go to God through His SON for the things we need, etc.  We still must honor and observe the Biblical feasts; however, we have no albatross around our necks related to the temple.  I believe that this time is behind us and now we have to follow Christ our Passover Lamb and King Priest after the order of Melchizedek. 

Q3. (Daniel 9:24-27) Why do you think there are so many interpretations of Daniel's vision of the Seventy Sevens?

This prophesy, that is the era between the restoration of Jerusalem and the emergence of the Messiah, has been subject to a diversity of different interpretations because, some presume that the “seven” is a period of seven years while other conclude that the “sevens” is an integer multiple of seven years.

Preterism, associated with the Catholic Church, interprets each prophetic book in terms of its immediate historical context, which identifies the “going forth of the word to restore and build Jerusalem” (Dan 9:25) as having occurred when Artaxerxes issued a proclamation to restore and rebuild Jerusalem.

Then there is the Futurism which interprets prophecies as relating future events in a literal context. To them, the 70th week of Daniel will occur at some point in the future, culminating in seven years of Tribulation and the appearance of the Antichrist.

There still many other interpretations the traditional and Newton’s interpretations just to name a few.

What is your interpretation of the various key parts of the vision?

My line of understanding leads me to comprehend Daniel’s symbolic prophecy in a way which is basically understood by all. However from what is said and written, I think all of us must be aware that the literature we have before us may be written, read and in the language of the Jews, which is Hebrew has been understood differently by many . I understand that this passage is an evidence to prove the divine inspiration of the Holy Bible, where God ties himself to a definite timeline of the events to take place.

Daniel was a man who studied scripture. In his study of Jeremiah, he realized that the end of the predicted seventy years of Babylonian captivity was drawing to a close, and recognizing the fact that the predicted time of deliverance was near, he, began to pray. Now, it must be made known that prayer is not merely a means to put in your requests to God, but it’s also an exercise through which we get involved in God’s plans. This desire to get involved in God’s work is reflected in Daniel’s prayer.

I think Daniel 9:4~19 is one of most profound prayers found in the Bible. This is searching model prayer with a penetrating prayer of confession, of praise, and of course ending with a solemn petition to God. To read this verses as our prayer will be a powerful experience for all of us concerned for the good of our people – all people – our nation. Like us who, most of the time are interrupted by negative forces while in prayer, Daniel too, did not finish his prayer, but for positive reasons as written in Daniels 9:20~23, by the angel Gabriel, precisely the point of our discussion, Daniel 9:24~27.

The general idea in the message to Daniel was the following tasks in a given timeframe specified by the angel Gabriel.

1. restrict the transgression/rebellion - 2. seal up their sins - 3. make atonement for their iniquity

4. bring them into a state of everlasting righteousness - 5. seal up vision and prophecy - 6. anoint the most Holy place

Though the above commands came from God, it must be remembered, though not of any particular importance, that the permission to return to restore the Temple and the Holy City, had to come from the Gentile king. (God must have caused the king to do this). And let’s not misconstrue that this as just the return of the Jewish captives back to the land of Israel, but to return to rebuild the Temple and Holy City.

Now, let me discuss Daniel 9:22~23.- “He instructed me and said to me, “Daniel, I have now come to give you insight and understanding. As soon as you began to pray, a word went out, which I have come to tell you, for you are highly esteemed. Therefore, consider the word and understand the vision.” The two catchphrases of the angel, that is, to “consider the word and understand,” establishes that the fact that it was of very high importance that Daniel paid attention and understood the word about to be given to him.

This exhortation of Gabriel is recapitulated by Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew 24:15 – “So when you see standing in the holy place ‘the abomination that causes desolation, spoken of through the prophet Daniel—let the reader understand.” I believe someone identified it as “the backbone of prophecy” because everything else must correspond within the outlines of this prophetic revelation.

This is my interpretation on the six tasks, that’s found in the 4 verses of Daniel 9:24~27.

“Seventy ‘sevens’ are decreed for your people and your holy city to finish transgression, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the Most Holy Place. “Know and understand this: From the time the word goes out to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until the Anointed One, the ruler, comes, there will be seven ‘sevens,’ and sixty-two ‘sevens.’ It will be rebuilt with streets and a trench, but in times of trouble. After the sixty-two ‘sevens,’ the Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed. He will confirm a covenant with many for one ‘seven.’ In the middle of the ‘seven’ he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And at the temple he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him.”

As can be noticed, there a number of things to be considered and taken note of from these verses. Firstly the time line declared by Gabriel, “Seventy sevens”. We’ve informed in our study of the book of Daniel that a week is made up of seven days, and “a week of years” equals to seven years. Therefore, equating this principle with “Seventy sevens” would give us a total of 490 years. (49 years + 434 years + 7 years yet to come)

Then, we have the “address” – Gabriel states, “your people and your holy city” – Daniel’s people are the nation of Israel. Next we have the limits of this prophecy involving both the people of Israel and the city of Jerusalem which implies that if the Jews are not in Jerusalem this prophecy would not be operative. Then comes the six tasks, which I’ll discuss next, in my opinion divided into 2 groups of 3 in each. The 1st three involves the dilemma of sinfulness with the goal of redemption. The next three would be the institution of everlasting righteousness which is the establishment of the Kingdom, we pray for in ”Our Lord’s prayer” found in Matt 5:10.

Then comes the sealing up of the prophecy, which literally means fulfillment of the prophecy and there would not be a need new prophesies for the future. And finally, the anointing of the Most Holy Place, which I believe is Jesus himself, because He himself has said “…destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” John 2:19, identifying Himself as the Temple and refers to his eventual death and resurrection. He was never anointed as the Holy one of Israel – never accepted – was only despised and condemned to death, death on the cross.

Q3. (Daniel 9:24-27) Why do you think there are so many interpretations of Daniel's vision of the Seventy Sevens?

This prophesy, that is the era between the restoration of Jerusalem and the emergence of the Messiah, has been subject to a diversity of different interpretations because, some presume that the “seven” is a period of seven years while other conclude that the “sevens” is an integer multiple of seven years.

Preterism, associated with the Catholic Church, interprets each prophetic book in terms of its immediate historical context, which identifies the “going forth of the word to restore and build Jerusalem” (Dan 9:25) as having occurred when Artaxerxes issued a proclamation to restore and rebuild Jerusalem.

Then there is the Futurism which interprets prophecies as relating future events in a literal context. To them, the 70th week of Daniel will occur at some point in the future, culminating in seven years of Tribulation and the appearance of the Antichrist.

There still many other interpretations the traditional and Newton’s interpretations just to name a few.

My line of understanding leads me to comprehend Daniel’s symbolic prophecy in a way which is basically understood by all. However from what is said and written, I think all of us must be aware that the literature we have before us may be written, read and in the language of the Jews, which is Hebrew has been understood differently by many . I understand that this passage is an evidence to prove the divine inspiration of the Holy Bible, where God ties himself to a definite timeline of the events to take place.

Daniel was a man who studied scripture. In his study of Jeremiah, he realized that the end of the predicted seventy years of Babylonian captivity was drawing to a close, and recognizing the fact that the predicted time of deliverance was near, he, began to pray. Now, it must be made known that prayer is not merely a means to put in your requests to God, but it’s also an exercise through which we get involved in God’s plans. This desire to get involved in God’s work is reflected in Daniel’s prayer.

I think Daniel 9:4~19 is one of most profound prayers found in the Bible. This is searching model prayer with a penetrating prayer of confession, of praise, and of course ending with a solemn petition to God. To read this verses as our prayer will be a powerful experience for all of us concerned for the good of our people – all people – our nation. Like us who, most of the time are interrupted by negative forces while in prayer, Daniel too, did not finish his prayer, but for positive reasons as written in Daniels 9:20~23, by the angel Gabriel, precisely the point of our discussion, Daniel 9:24~27.

The general idea in the message to Daniel was the following tasks in a given timeframe specified by the angel Gabriel.

1. restrict the transgression/rebellion  -  2. seal up their sins - 3. make atonement for their iniquity

4. bring them into a state of everlasting righteousness  -  5. seal up vision and prophecy - 6. anoint the most Holy place

Though the above commands came from God, it must be remembered, though not of any particular importance, that the permission to return to restore the Temple and the Holy City, had to come from the Gentile king. (God must have caused the king to do this). And let’s not misconstrue that this as just the return of the Jewish captives back to the land of Israel, but to return to rebuild the Temple and Holy City.

Now, let me discuss Daniel 9:22~23.- “He instructed me and said to me, “Daniel, I have now come to give you insight and understanding. As soon as you began to pray, a word went out, which I have come to tell you, for you are highly esteemed. Therefore, consider the word and understand the vision.” The two catchphrases of the angel, that is, to “consider the word and understand,” establishes that the fact that it was of very high importance that Daniel paid attention and understood the word about to be given to him.

This exhortation of Gabriel is recapitulated by Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew 24:15 – “So when you see standing in the holy place ‘the abomination that causes desolation, spoken of through the prophet Daniel—let the reader understand.” I believe someone identified it as “the backbone of prophecy” because everything else must correspond within the outlines of this prophetic revelation.

This is my interpretation on the six tasks, that’s found in the 4 verses of Daniel 9:24~27.

“Seventy ‘sevens’ are decreed for your people and your holy city to finish transgression, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the Most Holy Place. “Know and understand this: From the time the word goes out to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until the Anointed One,  the ruler, comes, there will be seven ‘sevens,’ and sixty-two ‘sevens.’ It will be rebuilt with streets and a trench, but in times of trouble. After the sixty-two ‘sevens,’ the Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed. He will confirm a covenant with many for one ‘seven.’ In the middle of the ‘seven’ he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And at the temple he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him.”

As can be noticed, there a number of things to be considered and taken note of from these verses. Firstly the time line declared by Gabriel, “Seventy sevens”. We’ve informed in our study of the book of Daniel that a week is made up of seven days, and “a week of years” equals to seven years. Therefore, equating this principle with “Seventy sevens” would give us a total of 490 years. (49 years + 434 years + 7 years yet to come)

Then, we have the “address” – Gabriel states, your people and your holy city – Daniel’s people are the nation of Israel. Next we have the limits of this prophecy involving both the people of Israel and the city of Jerusalem which implies that if the Jews are not in Jerusalem this prophecy would not be operative. Then comes the six tasks, which I’ll discuss next, in my opinion divided into 2 groups of 3 in each. The 1st three involves the dilemma of sinfulness with the goal of redemption. The next three would be the institution of everlasting righteousness which is the  establishment of the Kingdom, we pray for in ”Our Lord’s prayer” found in Matt 5:10.

Then comes the sealing up of the prophecy, which literally means fulfillment of the prophecy and there would not be a need new prophesies for the future. And finally, the anointing of the Most Holy Place, which I believe is Jesus himself, because He himself has said “…..destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” John 2:19, referring to his eventual death and resurrection. He was never anointed as the Holy one of Israel – never accepted – was only despised and condemned to death, death on the cross.

Q3. (Daniel 9:24-27)

Q. Why do you think there are so many interpretations of Daniel's vision of the Seventy Sevens?

A. May be due to the complex nature of the dream. We need to pray more for God to give us His Spirit and power of revelation and discernment.

Q. What is your interpretation of the various key parts of the vision?

A. I am not sure I have any different from what Pastor Ralph has put forward.

Q3 (Daniel 9:24-27) Why do you think there are so many interpretations of Daniel's vision of the Seventy Sevens?

I think it is due to the fact that many prophecies deal with different time periods within the same prophecy. It's like when we stand at a high vantage point and look at mountain ranges in the distance.

They appear to be right next to each other, but when viewed up close or from the air, they are miles and miles apart. So the mistake is assuming  that everything has already transpired (from our vantage point of looking back at history) or that it all has to do with the future.​​​ I see both past, present and future events.

I​ believe there was a partial fulfillment in Antiochus Epiphanes day, then a further fulfillment of Jesus birth, death and Resurrection, and then there will be the last and final fulfillment in the last days. I believe we are in the sliver of time before the rapture of the Church, after which the anti-Christ will reign for a season and will duplicate the desecration of the temple ( which is to be built during the tribulation) as did Antiochus Epiphanes with the sacrifice of a pig.  (The anti-Christ will stop allowing the sacrifices to be made, declaring himself to be "god", after desecrating the newly built temple.)

Q3. (Daniel 9:24-27) Why do you think there are so many interpretations of Daniel’s vision of the Seventy Sevens? What is your interpretation of the various key parts of the vision?

There are many interpretations to the vision because there are many minds with their own understanding of the vision.  We must respect each other for their opinion while giving our own.  Even though the Spirit of God illumines our understanding it is still filtered through our own personal lens.  It is that understanding we share with others.  My interpretation of the various key parts of the vision is as follows:

In verse we find the key parts to the vision, it reads

"Seventy 'sevens' are decreed for your people and your holy city to finish transgression, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up the vision and prophecy and to anoint the most holy."

We can find in Jesus the fulfillment of the six tasks found in verse 24:        

1)   “to finish transgression,“ Jesus came to bring an end to man’s sinning. His teachings were to lead man to live a righteous life.

2)   “to put an end to sin,” Jesus came to destroy the work of the devil. To cut down the devil’s influence on man.  His example

after baptism is for us to know that we too can live above the devil’s temptation.

3)   “to atone for wickedness,” Jesus came to “atone for” the sins of man.  Our forgiveness is in His atonement.

4)   “to bring in everlasting righteousness,”  The everlasting righteousness is in our justification, as children of God.  We are

justified not because of anything we did but because Jesus’ death on the cross bought our cleansing from the unrighteousness

of sin. 

5)   “to seal up the vision and prophecy,”  the law and its sacrifices were only a "shadow" of the perfect and permanent sacrifice

to come.  Jesus came, fulfilling prophecy, and brought the final and perfect sacrifice for man’s justification.  Heb. 10:5-7

(“That is why, when Christ came into the world, he said to God, “You did not want animal sacrifices or sin offerings. But

you have given me a body to offer. You were not pleased with burnt offerings or other offerings for sin. Then I said, ‘Look, I

have come to do your will, O God - as is written about me in the Scriptures.’”)

6)   to anoint the most holy," Jesus, the Most Holy, was anointed from birth and is indeed the Messiah; Savior of the world.

Perhaps it is because of pride that some passages of scripture are dogmatically interpreted, when there is no conclusive evidence that a scripture could be interpreted in such a way. Perhaps it is because of ignorance, or lack of knowledge about how scripture should be interpreted.

For convenience I would use the following headings, borrowed from one of the other contributors in answering the question.

Numbers. I find myself confused over all the differing points of view regarding the timing. I am however impressed that Christ's death is close to the prophesied period of time from the declaration of the rebuild of Jerusalem.

Anointed One. I believe that "the anointed one" refers to Christ the Messiah. I wonder though that the reference to the anointed place-or anointed one, in verse 24 may be a reference to a new temple.

Antichrist. The anti-christ has not been revealed yet and is a future event, although through history there have been many "type"s of anti-christs.

The End. And yes, I believe that-as in the notes, "the end" refers to judgement by God-the Ancient of Days and Christ, the Son of Man, when he returns, the believers are raised, and the final judgement takes place.

Q3. (Daniel 9:24-27) 

Why do you think there are so many interpretations of Daniel's vision of the Seventy Sevens? 

This passage of Scripture is open to so many interpretations, either literal or symbolic. On top of this there is the decision about who the Anointed One is. The Anointed One is our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. I find the following interpretation surprisingly accurate as far as my limited knowledge is concerned. In Nehemiah 2:4-5 we read that King Artaxerxes gave Nehemiah permission to rebuild Jerusalem. The king’s decree fulfilled the word of the Lord to Daniel (Dan 9:25). This decree was issued on the 4th March, 444 BC. Now the 69 weeks is equal to 483 (69x7) prophetic years. But Daniel’s message uses a 360-day prophetic year and not the 365 ½ -day solar year. If we now calculated the 483 x (360/365.5) we get 476 calendar years. Extending this from 5th March, 444 BC we get 30 March, 33 AD. The 69th week concluded on Monday 30th March 33 AD with the triumphant entry of our Lord into Jerusalem. Four days later on Friday 3rd April 33 AD Jesus Christ was ‘cut off’ (crucified). After the 69th week the Antichrist will come to destroy the city and the sanctuary (Dan 9:26). Finally, the antichrist will make a 7-year covenant, but will break it after 31/2 years (Dan 9:27). The time-span is the 70th week of the 70-week prophecy, which is still to come. It will all end with the fulfilment of the six listed objectives (Dan 9:24), and the destruction of the antichrist. To me the figures seem to add up. 

There are so many interpretations of Daniel's visions of the seventy sevens is because no one fully knows how to extrapolate the count in years and weeks in relation to the vision. Everyone of course has his own ideas. Theologians have studied for years and researched the vision, all with different results. I believe the answer as told to Daniel by the angel, to seal it up, so it is.

I basically have no interpretation of Daniel's vision, but key parts do conform that the day will come that the Lord will conquer all nations, defeat Satan and we will see him face to face as he is. He will judge the wicked and reward the righteous. With faith and hope this day will not be much further away. 

1. Literal time periods with Antiochus Epiphanes as the end-point

2. Symbolic time periods with the first century AD as the end-point

3. Literal time periods with Christ's Second Coming as the end-point

4. Symbolic time periods with Christ's Second Coming as the end-point

My interpretation is that throughout the centuries of time every person gave their views as to what Daniels meant. Daniel could be wrong I don't know in interpreting the seventy sevens vision. I do believe God would let us know all truth on that coming day.

1. People look at things different and understand different. Some do not understand, but interpret what they know or feel is right.

2. The antichrist will come and try to deceive as many as possible. The will come and the end that is establilshed (12:27) refers to judgment by the Ancient of Days and his Christ, the Son of Man (7:9-14, 26-27), when Christ returns, the believers are raised, and the final judgment takes place.

The interpretations are several ways. 1. God has punished His own people. Sin is an ongoing problem. 2. God will forgive and restore His people. Salvation is always possible. 3. More problems remain for His people (believing Jews and Gentiles). 4. Messiah is coming, but He will be a suffering servant (cf. Isa. 53), a wounded shepherd (cf. Zech. 12-13) 5. God will judge those who attack His people.

There are three negative and three positive in the interpretation: 1. the negative: a. “finish the transgression” b. “make an end of sin” c. “make atonement for iniquity” 2. the positive: a. “bring in everlasting righteousness” b. “seal up the vision of the prophecy” c. “anoint the Most Holy”

There are many interpretations to this prophecy because of the perspective you have when reading it.

I feel Jesus fulfilled part of this in his first coming. I tend to feel that the numbers are precise, especially when reading about the last week. We are given in other passages, referring to the end of days or the day of the Lord, the time period as three and a half years, forty two months and 1260 days. This would support the 360 day prophetic year. I believe as these things come to pass we I'll find understanding.

Jesus fulfilled many prophecies exactly in his first coming which makes me believe he will do the same in his second coming.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that there are so many interpretations of Daniel’s vision of Seventy Seven is because we are trying to predict the end of this world as we know it.  When they miss the end date then they go back and try again and move all the numbers around again. I don’t have an interpretation of the various parts of the vision because I know what will be or has been will occur or has already occurred and there is nothing I can do about it except to believe in my Lord Jesus Christ and be ready for the end of the world and Jesus’ return when it comes.

There are symbolic and literal interpretations that people read and there are many types of thoughts .because ,one may not have waited on the Holy Spirit to reveal the Fact in His own Time ,

There are difference in lunar months ,years etc as far as days are concerned and there have been very fierce men of antichrist spirit that has cause destruction ,,People have to be patient and lean on understnding them ,just like the humble seeker in Daniel 

I believe in a 7 year tribulation period as of now which would be obliterated by the second coming at mid week 3.5 years ,I am still looking into it ,,esp the time line ,

Today ,eschatology is vast and sound doctrine is reached by earnest fellowship with Bible teachers and a wait t and watch atitude and keep oneself pure ,in Him ,