JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Name and Mission

To help you internalize and apply what you’re learning from this study, I’ve included several Discussion Questions in each lesson. These are designed to help you think about and ponder the most important points. Don’t skip these. It’s best to write them out. You can post your answers – and read what others have written – by going to the online forum by clicking on the URL below each question. (Before you can post your answer the first time, you’ll need to register. You can find instructions at

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/instructions.htm

Q1. How is the meaning of Jesus’ name linked to his mission? What is his mission? How did he fulfill this mission? How did he fulfill his mission in your life?

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the meaning of Jesus’ name linked to his mission? What is his mission? How did he fulfill this mission? How did he fulfill his mission in your life?          

Jesus name means "Yahweh Saves" and Jesus mission was to save the world from their sins.  Jesus fulfilled this mission by dying on the cross.  He fulfilled his mission in my life when I repented, believed that Jesus died for my sins and that God raised him from the dead. "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature; old things are passed away; behold all things are become new" (II Cor. 5:17)

Q1.

Q.How is the meaning of Jesus' name linked to his mission?

A. The meaning of Jesus is Saviour. His ministry is thus the salvation of his people (and the world at large) from their sin.

Q. What is his mission? How did he fulfill this mission?

A. His mission as I said is salvation of souls which He did by His sacrificial death on the cross all mankind. I am a privileged beneficiary of this mission because I have received him as my Saviour and Lord in/ of my life.

The name “Jesus” was specifically and individually given to both Mary and Joseph for this child. “Yahweh saves” was the name that linked Jesus to the prophecies of the Old Testament that revealed the promise of God's Anointed One who would come for the salvation of His people. It identified this baby as the One who had now come to fulfill that mission of delivering His people from sin and its consequences. Jesus completed that mission by taking sin upon Himself and putting it to death as He died on the cross at age 33.

Jesus has saved me from the power and penalty of sin! His redemption and forgiveness have been applied to my life through my faith in Him as my resurrected Lord and Savior (Romans 10:9-10). In the day-to-day of my live, this is being worked out as I learn to resist and overcome sin by the power of His Spirit in me. In the eternal sense, I will never have to face the wrath and judgment of God because Jesus is my Salvation!

Jesus' Hebrew name is a compound word which means "Yahweh Saves." His destiny was to save. Jesus' mission was to save His people from sin. He fulfilled His mission by destroying the power of sin through His resurrection from the dead and Ascension into heaven. Jesus has given me the hope of eternal life with Him, not some day in the future, but right now! My eternal life with Him has already begun because He lives inside me and guides me through His Holy Spirit every day. He has washed me clean from my past, present and future sins, making me worthy to be in the presence of Almighty God.

Q1. How is the meaning of Jesus' name linked to his mission? Jesus' Hebrew name is a compound word which means "Yahweh Saves

What is his mission? Save His people from our sins

How did he fulfill this mission? Died for our sins; took our place

How did he fulfill his mission in your life? Gave me a reason to believe, live, and share--an anchor for life

Jesus means Yahweh saves. He came into this world to save mankind from sin. His purpose was not political. He didn't come to fulfill a natural purpose such as over throwing a government. However, He came to reconcile us back to the Father. Our eternal future was in jeapardy without Jesus coming into this world to save us.

Furthermore, the Lord came into my life at a critical time. I didn't know that I was lost until he revealed my need for him after the dearh of my fiancé. I'm grateful to God for sending himself in the form of man whose name is Jesus. I'm thankful for being reconciled and taught by Him.

Jesus' name means Yahweh saves. Jesus came to save us/me from sin. He fulfilled His mission when He died on the cross and rose the 3rd day breaking the bondage of death so we could have life. He personally fulfilled His mission in my life by welcoming me when I repented and realized I could not save myself. I am saved by His grace and mercy and I now have eternal life.

Jesus, going by His name came to seek and save that which was lost. We were dead in sins and trespassed and there annual sacrifices of bulls and rams could not pay for all our sins. Our sins could only be covered (atoned) in that dispensation. Jesus came and paid the price once and for all. He fulfilled all the requirements. He humbled Himself, took the form of man having left His throne just to bring us back on track.

We are His precious possession. The Bible describes this redemptive plan in Isaiah 53:10     But it was the Lord’s good plan to crush him
and cause him grief.
Yet when his life is made an offering for sin,
he will have many descendants.
He will enjoy a long life,
and the Lord’s good plan will prosper in his hands.

It is a wonderful privilege that Jesus accomplished His mission on earth and delegated authority to us to occupy till He comes. May He find faith on earth when He comes. Amen.

Q1 How is the meaning of Jesus' name linked to his mission?

​His name is the descriptor for His purpose: To save people from their sins.

What is His mission?

​His mission  was to be born as a human being in order to die as the sinless sacrifice acceptable to the Father to atone for the sins of mankind, and to ​restore those who receive His gift, to relationship with the Father. Included in His work on the cross, was defeating the power of Satan, so that believers can now choose whether to sin or not, by yielding to His Holy Spirit as we walk through each day. His death removed the generational curses spoken of in Jeremiah  where the sins of the father's would be visited on his children to the 3rd and 4th generation; (The father's have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth will be set on edge.") Jesus' final act on the cross was to taste the "sour wine" and cry "It is Finished!" (John 19:30). His mission also included bearing our griefs, sicknesses, weaknesses, distresses, and carrying our sorrows and pains of punishment, and wounding for our transgressions, guilt, iniquities and with His stripes we are healed and made whole. He also bequeathed His authority over evil spirits, to His children so that we are not defenseless. (Ephesians 6...His armor)

How did He fulfill this mission?

Jesus walked on earth in total obedience to His Father's will, in every aspect of His life, even unto death on the cross. He demonstrated to us that we are to walk in submission to His Holy Spirit, in the same way that He walked, setting us free from striving to obey the Old Covenant laws which He alone was capable of fulfilling, so that we are free to be Holy Spirit led, and to enjoy life apart from fear and dread of trying to  follow man made religious rules.

How did He fulfill His mission in your life?

​He hunted me down when I wasn't looking for Him, and loved me into His kingdom and the sweetest fellowship and love I've ever known. He

washed me white as snow and continues to fulfill His mission of setting me free from bondages laid on me in childhood, and to heal brokenness, wounds, and  remove guilt and shame for past sin. (There is now no condemnation in Christ Jesus (Romans 8) He continues to reveal the wonder of living in Grace, and the joy of His love to me and the ability to love others.

Jesus = "Yahweh saves"

To save all the people from their sins

He took the punishment we deserved.  The wages of sin is death.

He offered the gift of salvation.  I agreed with Him that I was a sinner, repented and became part of God's family!

Q1. How is the meaning of Jesus’ name linked to his mission? What is his mission? How did he fulfill this mission? How did he fulfill his mission in your life?

The angel instructed both Mary and Joseph to name their baby "Jesus" . In addition, to Joseph, the angel explained that Jesus "... will save his people from their sins" (Matt 1:21).

According to the notes, the name Jesus, is from a Hebrew name, a compound word which means "Yahweh saves." This was a common understanding of the Jewish people that the messiah would come to save them, however he did not come to save them from their oppressors -the Romans, Jesus came to save them from their sin.

Jesus fulfilled his mission by dying on the cross (Romans 5:8, 1 John 5:11,12). He fulfilled his mission in my life by knocking on the door of my life, revealing himself to me.

Jesus means Yahweh saves and His mission is to save us from our sins and glorify God.  He fully submitted Himself to God and suffered death on the cross as payment for us of the penalty of death for sin.  

When I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior I received the free gift of eternal life with God starting the moment I received Jesus as Lord and Savior.

God bless!

Jen

John 3:16

Jesus's name means Yahweh saves. The only way Jesus could save us from our sin was to become human himself. He came into this world as a baby and experience the same temptation that we all face every day, yet, he never sinned. He came to show us the way and showed us the great love that the Father have for us. Then he paid for our sins on the cross so that we can be children of the living God, we can stand before God as free man, washed in His blood. He became my Savior when I surrender my life to Him and accept the price that He paid for me.  

Jesus saves us rrom our sins and the name save means so much more.  Jesus saves means that he saves us from sin and protects us and keeps us safe and heals us and restores us.  He truly is the Savior of the world.

I am so thankful for this study because it is bringing me back to Jesus.  We can go to church and do all the right things but not know Jesus and trust Him to be our Savior.  I spent a lot of money going to the best Christian conferences and buying the best teachings, but in the end, I had a dream where God showed me that I was totally lost.  He told me that He was going to show me the directions.  He then said, 'I am the way.'   Paul feared that the church would be deceived in the same way Eve was - in leaving the simplicity of Christ.  Jesus is the Savior of the world.' 

According to Shakespeare, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

But with our Savior, His Name is EVERYTHING.

In Ephesians 1:15-22, Paul tells us that it is by & through the "exceeding greatness of His power" that "the GOD of our LORD Jesus Christ" will enlighten the eyes of our understanding & give us the spirit of wisdom & revelation in the knowledge of Him.

He finishes those wonderful verses by saying of Christ, that when GOD raised from Him from the dead, He was seated at GOD's right hand in heaven, "far above all principality & power & might & dominion, AND EVERY NAME THAT IS NAMED, NOT ONLY IN THIS AGE BUT ALSO IN THAT WHICH IS TO COME."

Again in Philippians 2, Paul tells us that though He took the form of a man, even humbling Himself to a death on the cross, "GOD also has highly exalted Him & given Him the Name which is above every name, that at the Name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, & those on earth, & those under the earth, & that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of GOD the Father."

So to me, His Name is truly everything. By faith in His Name my eternity is secure.

I must add a comment about the suggested exercises.

Imagery is part of the human imagination, deeply rooted in our psyche, to form a mental image of GOD or Christ is treading on dangerous ground.

The second Commandment is quite specific about making "graven" images. Doing that is an abomination to GOD.

Of course, a graven image, that is, one that is sculpted or even painted with a fixed face, expression & physical attributes, is a lot different than a brief mental image.

But the truth is, our minds are quick to lock on to what is pleasing to our mental "eye."

Our GOD Who sits on the throne is "Spirit" (John 4:24), & our Savior Christ Jesus Who stands ever before Him, interceding on our behalf does not have a physical countenance as we do.

In Revelation 1, John is given the revelation of Jesus Christ.

In that marvelous book, John describes what he is shown in the spirit.

When he heard Jesus identify Himself as the "Alpha & the Omega, the First & the Last", he turned to see "the voice that spoke" to him. What he saw is beyond our limited minds to visualize & well should be.

John said, "I saw seven golden lampstands & in the midst of the seven lampstands One like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet & girded about the chest with a golden band. His head & hair were like white wool, as white as snow & His eyes like a flame of fire; His feet were like fine brass, as refined in a furnace & His voice as the sound of many waters; He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword & His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength. And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, "Do not be afraid; I am the First & the Last. I am He Who lives, & was dead, & behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades & of Death." (Rev. 1:12-18)

It is my most humble opinion it is beyond our ability to understand or describe what GOD or Jesus Christ looks like. And any attempt to form a mental image of them is wrong. I believe that it is tempting the flesh into occultism.

When we were children, the Bible stories often portrayed Jesus as a mild looking man, slender, with kind eyes. But in truth, John's description is far more realistic.

Some may say it is healthy to visualize GOD or Jesus Christ in prayer, but personally I believe it is a very slippery slope.

In 1 Corinthians 13:11-12, the Apostle Paul wrote: "when I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known."

Matthew Henry: "Such is the difference between earth & heaven. What narrow views, what confused & indistinct notions of things, have children, in comparison of grown men!"

When I was a little girl my favorite aunt gave me a very small framed "portrait" of Jesus. In that frame was the face of a human man that was in no way what He looks like. For quite a few years, though the framed picture was long gone, that image stuck in my mind.

It wasn't until I was truly born-again & I read John's words in Revelation that I was freed from that childish notion of what my Savior looked like.

To use an imagined image of Jesus Christ or of GOD to communicate in prayer is not taught in Scripture. Jesus Himself taught us to pray in Matt. 6:9-15.

And if we look at Philippians 2, verse 5, Paul said, "Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus."

I can't imagine that Jesus Christ had to visualize His Father as He prayed, and if He did, He did not give us instructions to do the same!

Our prayers are to be in faith, not fiction, not an imagined image. Faith comes by hearing the Word of GOD (Romans 10:17)

And in Paul's 2nd letter to Timothy (2 Tim. 3:16-17) he tells us that "all Scripture is given by inspiration of GOD, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of GOD may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."

My final thought on visualization is this: to visualize Jesus as a baby in His mother's arms, as a carpenter, or even as one sitting on a hillside preaching to a throng of people, is not what we should be doing. We are to believe IN Him, in His Word by faith, that is, not by "seeing" or making a mental image of Him, for as Peter said in 1 Peter 1:8-9, "Whom having NOT seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith, the salvation of your souls."

Visualization brings with it the danger of entertaining what must be called "extra-scriptural", that is beyond the accepted Canon of Scripture. And we are warned in 1 Timothy 4 of the danger of "giving heed to deceiving spirits" & having contact or dialog with an visualized image could well be an open door!

If our salvation is by faith alone in Christ alone, then the answers to our prayers, if they are prayed in faith & according to His will, will be answered & our fellowship with Him is assured. We don't need a mental image for that assurance.

Q1. How is the meaning of Jesus' name linked to his mission? What is his mission? How did he fulfill this mission? How did he fulfill his mission in your life?

Jesus name in Hebrew means Yahweh saves, deliver, give victory, help. His mission was to save his people from sin by destroying the power of sin. Being born the Savior of His people, Jesus Christ lived among His people as a human. He was fully man and fully God. Jesus fulfill this mission by dying on the cross to save us for on damnation. Jesus fulfill His mission in my life, by coming into my life and saving me from the sinful life I was living.

Q1. How is the meaning of Jesus’ name linked to his mission?

What's in a name?  In Hebrew/Judaism thought a name means everything; the prayers and wishes of parents and sometimes God's plans for this  life.  For our Lord His names were given as a guide to His mission. 

What is his mission? 

Our Lord's misison is massive and encompasses all of time and space.  It is to redeem and provide salvation for all of His creation .. including all of mankind. It also includes guiding and building us up in faith and works, though the Holy Spirit whom He sent. Finally it will include the overturning of all evil and the renewal and restoration of all things. 

How did he fulfill this mission?

He began the fulfillment at the cross of Calvary by giving His life as a sacifice to satisfy the demands of our Holy God that sin must be atomed and paid for as illustrated by the long line of animal sacrifices and laws given to Moses and others.

How did he fulfill his mission in your life?

His mission in my life is a work in progress .... It began at  a Billy Graham crusade meeting in 1959.  Not really understanding what the meeting was all about, I volunteered for the choir of 2000 voices.  WOW. It was so exciting and George Bev Shea wa singing with us. After hearing the message of salvation I went forward and began my journey with Jesus. He has been patiently shaping and moulding me (as the potter does) ..  a leaky clay vessel needing His help, forgiveness and fresh filling and inspiration  every day.  He has used me to serve on mission fields and coninues to use me through writing children's books and leading study groups etc. I look forward to His 'well done good servant' when I enter His eternal Kingdom one day.  His missin in my life will be completed. Not perfect but complete : )  PTL.

How is Jesus' name linked to His mission?

Jesus' name meant that He had come to save us from our sins. His salvation was not about military might but about spiritual wholeness

How did He fulfil His mission?

Jesus completed His mission through His sacrificial death on the cross where He cancelled all our sins; His rising from death confirmed that His mission had been accomplished.

How did He fulfil His mission in my life?

I was a wreck, a churchgoer who slipped and fell, and Jesus picked me up and cleaned off, forgave my debt; and He has continued to work on me, drawing me ever closer to Him. He has been using me in ministry, little old me; and He has made me realise that I must decrease so that He can increase and continue His work in Him. All praise to Him, my Saviour!

Q1.

How is the meaning of Jesus' name linked to his mission?

What is his mission?

We know that the different names of God as mentioned in the Bible are an authoritative testimony of His great power, glory and majesty. Through the Bible we come to know that God employs names to signify and individual’s role and the name’s purpose in God’s plan. It’s no different with the name of Jesus or Yeshua as mentioned the shorter form of Joshua or Yehoshua. It means God is Salvation – God Saves – God our deliverer etc. – God’s purpose is always reflected in the names of persons to which it is assigned to.

The angel revealed the mission of Jesus, “…….She will give birth to a Son and you are to give Him the name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins." (Matt 1:21) The hopeless situation humanity was in without Jesus is really appalling and the death penalty awaiting man was unimaginable. But then, as Paul wrote, “When we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die…But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Rom 5:6-8)

With the intervention of Jesus in my life, God has a need for me and is using me for His purpose. I am not dead – I am not waiting for the death penalty because Jesus has already paid the ultimate price with His life bringing salvation and a relationship with God as God’s child.

Q1.

How is the meaning of Jesus' name linked to his mission?

What is his mission?

We know that the different names of God as mentioned in the Bible are an authoritative testimony of His great power, glory and majesty. Through the Bible we come to know that God employs names to signify an individual’s role and the name’s purpose in God’s plan. It’s no different with the name of Jesus or Yeshua or as mentioned the shorter form of Joshua or Yehoshua. It means God is Salvation – God Saves – God our deliverer etc. – God’s purpose is always reflected in the names of the persons to which it is assigned to.

The angel of the Lord revealed the mission of Jesus, “She will give birth to a Son and you are to give Him the name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins." (Matt 1:21) The hopeless situation humanity was in without Jesus was really appalling and the death penalty awaiting man was unimaginable. But then, as Paul wrote, “When we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die…But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Rom 5:6-8)

With the intervention of Jesus in my life, God has a need for me and is using me for His purpose. I am not dead – I am not waiting for the death penalty because Jesus has already paid the ultimate price with His life bringing salvation and a relationship with God as God’s child.

Q1. 

How is the meaning of Jesus' name linked to His mission? 

What is His mission? 

How did He fulfil this mission? 

How did He fulfil His mission in your life?

Jesus’ name derives from the Hebrew “Joshua”, meaning “Yahweh saves” or “salvation is from Yahweh” (Matt 1:21). 

So His name is linked to His mission; His mission being to save us from sin. 

On our own we cannot save ourselves from sin and its consequences. 

No matter how hard we try or how good we are, no way can we eliminate the sinful nature present in all of us. 

Only Jesus can do that. He fulfilled His mission, to save us, by coming down to earth and dying on the Cross. 

God’s righteousness demands punishment for sin, so God in His infinite wisdom sent His Only Son to die and pay the penalty for our sin.

By His sacrifice, Jesus’ own righteousness is imputed to us, and because Jesus has paid the price for our sins, they are all removed and justice is fully satisfied.

We have been given heavenly citizenship, been justified and sanctified to spend eternity with our gracious Saviour. 

Jesus did not have to save us, but His sacrifice shows His infinite love, grace, and mercy towards us. 

I put my faith in Jesus as my Saviour, and He fulfilled His mission in my life by creating in me a new creation that is living in union with Him. 

Slowly, day by day, my old habits are chipped away and I become more and more like my Saviour. 

Jesus also demonstrated His divinity by His Resurrection, and because of His Resurrection, we know that He conquered death.

This means that I too, will be raised from the dead to spend eternity with Him. 

Q1. How is the meaning of Jesus' name linked to his mission?

What is his mission?

We know that the different names of God as mentioned in the Bible are an authoritative testimony of His great power, glory and majesty. Through the Bible we come to know that God employs names to signify an individual’s role and purpose in God’s plan. It’s no different with the name of Jesus or Yeshua or as mentioned the shorter form of Joshua or Yehoshua. It means God is Salvation – God Saves – God our deliverer etc. – God’s purpose is always reflected in the names of persons to which it is assigned to.

The Angel of the Lord in foretelling the advent of the birth of Jesus revealed the mission of Jesus, “She will give birth to a Son and you are to give Him the name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins." (Matt 1:21) The hopeless situation humanity was in without Jesus was really appalling and the death penalty awaiting man was unimaginable. But then again, as Paul wrote, “When we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die…But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Rom 5:6-8).

With the intervention of Jesus in my life God has a need for me and is using me for His purpose. I am not dead – I am not waiting for the death penalty because Jesus has already paid the ultimate price with His life bringing salvation and a relationship with God as God’s child.

Jesus's name I understand to be is Yahweh saves. His mission was to come and reconcile us with God so that we can be saved from our sins and eternal damnation, death everlasting.

This reconciliation I think encompasses everything. He taught, He healed and He came to set an example for us.

He saved me, and I love Him for it.