JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Power in Jesus' Name

Q4. How did Jesus’ disciples use his name when they healed and cast out demons? Do we have this kind of authority, or was it only for the apostles themselves? In what way does speaking or acting in Jesus’ name demonstrate the concept of power of attorney? Why are we sometimes afraid to speak or act in Jesus’ name? How might hearing his voice about a particular matter alleviate that fear?

• 5 weeks later...

They used His name with the authority of Jesus.

We also have this authority.

Power of attorney--we act in Jesus' name & power.  He has given us that "power of attorney."

When we're afraid to act or speak in Jesus' name, it shows a lack of faith and that we might not really believe it.

It becomes a faith-builder.

Q4. How did Jesus' disciples use His Name when they healed and cast out demons?

​They prayed with boldness knowing that they had His authority to do so. They had learned that on their own they could do nothing....they knew the demons ​would not obey them apart from the authority of Jesus.

Do we have this kind of authority, or was it only for the apostles themselves?

​Yes, absolutely! However, I've discovered that our enemy works overtime to keep us from understanding that we do have Jesus' authority, and to keep us from using it so they can continue to do what they do here on earth.

In what way does speaking or acting in Jesus' name demonstrate the concept of power of attorney?

In the same way that an attorney can go to court  with our consent to act on our behalf, just as though we were standing before the judge.

Why are we sometimes afraid to speak or act in Jesus' name?

I can only speak for myself...and It was because of ignorance and insecurity. After I read "The Authority of the believer" by MacMillan It finally made sense! Just as a traffic cop can stand in an intersection with huge trucks and cars zooming around him, when he raises

his hand they stop! He has no physical power to stop anyone, but his badge represents the government's delegated authority to direct traffic. Jesus' Name is our "Badge", and demons have to obey Him.

How might hearing his voice about a particular matter alleviate that fear?

For me, that book was His voice...it's taken right from scripture, and is what I needed to understand His delegated authority so that I can use it without fear.

When we speak and claim any truth from the Word in the name of Jesus, the full force of His power and authority are brought into the circumstance to be applied as He chooses. He chose to make application of that power and authority through the disciples for healing and casting out demons as they prayed and acted “in His name”. They spoke as authorized representatives of His power and authority, which are undiminished today.  He can still use His might and sovereignty as He chooses for His glory.

Speaking or acting in Jesus' name does demonstrate the concept of power of attorney, as one is given the legal authority to act in the stead of another according to how that person would speak or take action. Of course, believers do this according to the leading and power of the Spirit. Another analogy could be that of an American ambassador to a foreign nation, who speaks according to the goals, values, and rights of the U.S. government and citizens. When baptized by the living presence of the Spirit, we are endowed with the legal right and responsibility to speak and act as Jesus would if He was physically here, according to His nature, character, and goals.

We are sometimes afraid to fulfill this role in the world for different reasons. The main root for any of those reasons is fear that is greater than faith. It is listening to the voices in our own heads rather than the voice of Jesus. When we choose to wait on His voice and act on it, He is faithful to give calmness, peace, confidence, and boldness for the task.

Q4. How did Jesus' disciples use his name when they healed and cast out demons? Do we have this kind of authority, or was it only for the apostles themselves? In what way does speaking or acting in Jesus' name demonstrate the concept of power of attorney? Why are we sometimes afraid to speak or act in Jesus' name? How might hearing his voice about a particular matter alleviate that fear?

They spoke and acted like Jesus Christ in His place with authority. We have the same authority the apostles had at that time. It demonstrates the concept of power of attorney by using Jesus name He has given His name for us to act in behalf of His kingdom. Sometimes we fear that what we pray for don't align with God's will for us. Other times we fear that we will fail. It will alleviate that fear knowing that Jesus is with us.

Q4. How did Jesus' disciples use his name when they healed and cast out demons? Do we have this kind of authority, or was it only for the apostles themselves? In what way does speaking or acting in Jesus' name demonstrate the concept of power of attorney? Why are we sometimes afraid to speak or act in Jesus' name? How might hearing his voice about a particular matter alleviate that fear?

There is power in the name of Jesus! It's true that every believer has authority to cast out evil spirits, but it's also necessary to understand the importance of using the name of Jesus when driving out unclean spirits. Mark 16:17, "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues."

Jesus makes it clear that we are to cast out the spirits using His name. Now if we look into the early church, we see Paul using Jesus' name to drive an evil spirit out of a woman:

Acts 16:18, "And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour."

It's true that every believer has authority to cast out evil spirits.

The disciples even found somebody who was not a disciple,he was using Jesus' name to cast out evil spirits:

Mark 9:38-39, "And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbade him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me."

Jesus Christ has given us Christians the right and authority to use his name. This means that Christians have been given the power of attorney. Legally, power of attorney is the authority to act in another person's behalf, at their request. It is authorization given by one person (Jesus) permitting another (Christians) to take action on his (Jesus Christ's) behalf.

The name of Jesus Christ is not a magic word. The power is not even in saying words, but in understanding and believing all that the name of Jesus Christ signifies. His name represents all of His finished work on the cross, fulfilling God's plan of redemption and salvation, victory over sin, death, and over the devil's entire realm. When the name of Jesus Christ is invoked, it carries all of the power and distinction God gave to it. God raised Jesus from the dead, elevated Him to His right hand, and gave Jesus a name above "every name that is named, not only in this age but also in that which is to come."

Sometimes afraid to speak or act in Jesus' name because of unbelief and little faith. "These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God." (1 John 5:13.

The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe Proverbs 18:10. Hearing his voice about a particular matter alleviate all fear.

Q4. How did Jesus' disciples use his name when they healed and cast out demons?

My Answer: They baptized in Jesus' name, they fully believed in and called upon the name of Jesus to cast out demons and to heal people, physically and spiritually. They had no doubts about the power of Jesus' name and His authority as the Son of God.

My Answer: Yes, I and all believers in the Savior, Jesus Christ, have this kind of authority.

In what way does speaking or acting in Jesus' name demonstrate the concept of power of attorney?

My Answer: Just as a POA gives one the legal authority to act for and as another person, Jesus has given us the power of His name so we can act for and as Him, to be Jesus with skin on to others.

Why are we sometimes afraid to speak or act in Jesus' name? Fear of ridicule, fear of pushing others away because we may be viewed as holier than thou and truthfully that little bit of doubt that Jesus will answer.

How might hearing his voice about a particular matter alleviate that fear? I would know without a doubt that I was hearing His call on my life correctly and that I was acting as He would have me act, in accordance with His will.

Q4. How did Jesus’ disciples use his name when they healed and cast out demons? Do we have this kind of authority, or was it only for the apostles themselves? In what way does speaking or acting in Jesus’ name demonstrate the concept of power of attorney? Why are we sometimes afraid to speak or act in Jesus’ name? How might hearing his voice about a particular matter alleviate that fear?

The disciples use the name of Jesus with the authority that He gave them, so that they can head the sick and cast out demons.  We also have been given this authority to heal the sick and cast out demons.  When we speak or act in Jesus' name we demonstrate that we have accepted the "power of attorney" that He has bestowed upon us and we walk in that authority.  Sometimes because we do not fully believe in the gift that Jesus has given to us us can work through us  we act in fear.  I am sure that if we were to hear His voice speaking to us directly on the matter the confidence and faith would spring forth and we would not be afraid to speak or act in Jesus' Name.

Q4.

Q. How did Jesus' disciples use his name when they healed and cast out demons?

A. They would either speak with authority and faith in Jesus to the sick person as Peter commanded the cripple in Act  3:6 to rise up and walk or lay hands on the sick.

Q. Do we have this kind of authority, or was it only for the apostles themselves?

A. Yes we have authority because Jesus authority is for those (including us) who believe in Him:

"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover". (Mark 16:17-18 KJV)

Q. In what way does speaking or acting in Jesus' name demonstrate the concept of power of attorney?

A. As in the passage above, Jesus Christ gave us His authority and power to perform the miracles He did on His behalf and we can confidently heal the sick as He would do.

Q. Why are we sometimes afraid to speak or act in Jesus' name? How might hearing his voice about a particular matter alleviate that fear?

A. Doubt and fear of failure is the most probable reason why we hesitate to speak or act in the name of Jesus. We need to ask Him to increase our faith as the  disciples also did so that we can be bold enough to declare his works.

Q4. 

How did Jesus' disciples use His name when they healed and cast out demons? 

How might hearing His voice about a particular matter alleviate that fear?

They spoke and acted with the authority of Jesus.

Yes, as believers we have this same authority.

Jesus has given us the power of attorney to act on His behalf. 

I am afraid of being ridiculed and therefore I am most cautious to speak or act in Jesus’ name, especially when it comes to healing.

It reminds me of the false preachers/healers we see on so-called Christian TV. 

Where all these healings have been staged – giving our faith a bad name.

Hearing His voice would of course alleviate this fear.  

The disciples used the authority of his name-as the notes put it: " To act in one's name, means that disciples spoke and acted like Jesus, in his place and with his authority" Jesus prayed for all believers (John 17:20-26). He gave all believers his authority just as The Father had given him authority (Matt 28:18-20). It is like power of attorney in that the person appointed acts in the best interest of, and advocates for another, when the other cannot speak or act for themselves. Therefore followers of Jesus act on behalf of and for him, as he has given them the authority to do so. The difference between the power of attorney example, and the believer representing Jesus is that he promises to be with his believers and is in his believers-he is present with them (Matt 28:20).

There has been one time in my life where God seemed to lead me to become friends to a down, lonely and bereaved man-life had dealt him a severe blow (several of them actually). This man became a believer, God used other christian people also, who witnessed to him. He has since died and I miss him very much. I am normally timid, but God gave me a kind of compassion for this man.

How did Jesus’ disciples use his name when they healed and cast out demons? Do we have this kind of authority, or was it only for the apostles themselves? In what way does speaking or acting in Jesus’ name demonstrate the concept of power of attorney? Why are we sometimes afraid to speak or act in Jesus’ name? How might hearing his voice about a particular matter alleviate that fear?   

The disciples spoke and acted like Jesus, in his place and with his authority.  Yes, we have this kind of authority.  Concept of power of attorney is a written authorization to represent or act on another's behalf in private affairs.  Jesus has given us authority to act on his behalf.  We are sometimes afraid to act or speak in Jesus' name because of ridicule, sometimes it may even be lack of faith.  To me, hearing his voice will be confirmation and would erase fear. 

Q4.

How did Jesus' disciples use His name when they healed and cast out demons?

They did cast out demons working through the name of Jesus, by the authority of Jesus' name.

Yes. we do still have this authority.

Jesus said that if we call on His Name He will answer. He left us His name therefore giving us the permission to use it for the glory of His name.

Fear .... that is the only reason. Fear of ridicule, rejection, being labelled, being cast out, being victimized. Which is actually very silly of us as the only approval we should crave is our heavenly Father's.

Sometimes we also do not believe, truly believe that we have the authority. We tend to think that this was the bibles era that this was for and not for us.

Another fear is of not being answered, what if what you ask for is not within God's will as it is perhaps the time for that person to move on. God knows their circumstances way better than you could ever know it. Then if that person, say dies, you lose a soul for Christ as the family decides that God does not really care.

I can witness to the power of Jesus' name. I have experienced it personally but I am very careful to pray for specific things, I would rather ask for God to bless that person in the name of Jesus with what He wills for that person.

How might hearing His voice about a particular matter alleviate that fear?

There would be no fear.

1. in His authority

2. Yes

3. Same as current POA

4.Small faith or unbelief

5.boosts confidence because it comes from the Lord Himself.  This world is scary make no doubt about that and we need the Lord to stand.  

God bless

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q4. How did Jesus' disciples use his name when they healed and cast out demons?

In Matthew 10 (also Mark 3 & Luke 9) we can read of Christ's appointment of the 12 disciples. Scripture tells us that He gave them "power" and "authority" (dunames & exousia) over unclean spirits, demons, sickness and disease, and He sent the disciples out.

But I have not found in all the Scripture any verse that mentions "how" the disciples cast out demons. That they were directed to do so is evident, and one instance that stands out is their failure to be able to do so. (Matthew 17:14-20 & Mark 9:28-29)

Was it because the demons did not recognize that the disciples had the same power and authority that Christ Jesus Himself had as the "Son of GOD", the "Holy One of GOD?" (Matthew 8:29; Mark 1:34; Luke 4:34)

It is suggested by Mark 9:38 & Luke 9:49 that His Name was indeed used because when the disciples told Jesus they had forbidden one they had seen casting out demons "in His Name", Jesus told them not to forbid anyone from using His Name as He said that anyone who is not against us, is on our side.

So even though Scripture does not explicitly say that the disciples used His Name to cast out demons, it is most probable, elsewise they would not have reacted as they did to what they had witnessed.

Whether or not that power and authority was to be part of every believer's life has always been the cause for major debate.

The gospels and the Book of Acts all have accounts of unclean spirits and demons being cast out. But whether casting them out was anything more than a display of the power and authority that Christ had over all things, as His ministry was worked through the hands of His disciples, can be argued for a life time and still not have a solid answer.

With no particular Scripture to support any opinion more than another, we all must wait until His return and ask Him!!

It is clear however, that if we read beyond the gospels & Acts, we will find that nothing is written about unclean spirits and demons except that we are NOT to give the devil an opportunity (Ephesians 4:27, we are to put on the "full armor of GOD" (Ephesians 6:10-12), we are to submit ourselves to GOD and resist the devil (James 4:7), because His Word is clear and in 1 Peter 5:8 we are warned so we will be "vigilant", watching out for our "adversary the devil who is going about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour."

After the final chapter of Acts the word "demon" is only found in seven verses, from Romans to Revelation. And "unclean/foul spirit" if found only twice in Revelation. And none of these verses suggests or mentions believers casting out demons.

One thing is sure, the devil and his minions recognized Jesus as the Christ, as the Son of GOD and they "trembled" (James 2:19)!!

Notice that the demons never addressed Jesus as the son of Joseph or Mary!! (Mark 6:3)

Speaking to an attorney shows that most POA's are limited, if not by the individual giving the POA (the grantor) but by laws and statutes of the jurisdiction. That's the legal concept.

There is one camp that believes there are apostles today and all believers have all the powers that are mentioned in the gospels. The other camp believes there are no modern day apostles and some of the powers that were given by Jesus to His apostles, were limited to the early church.

In order for a POA to be in force today, it would need to be an "enduring" or unlimited POA. However, because there is NO POA that continues after the grantor (the one authorizing the POA) has died, the idea to me is this: while the apostles lived, they continued walking in a far greater realm of power and authority than is in the world today. 

During the days of the early church, it was necessary for the disciples, those men chosen to be apostles, to be "endued", that is clothed with His power and authority to display it for the purpose of expanding the faith.

Those men were chosen specifically for that time.

Today we have the bible, GOD's Word, Genesis to Revelation, complete, inerrant and as it says in Hebrews 4:12, the Word of GOD is "living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is the discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." (look in Revelation 1 & 2 to see Who holds the two-edged sword!!)

I say without hesitation that His Word can deliver anyone from demonic oppression, even demonic possession. But they must submit themselves to GOD.

I am not saying that there isn't demonic activity today. A glance at the news is all it takes to make one aware of the evil in the world.

But I myself have never met anyone who was possessed by a demon. I have encountered people who were being harassed, troubled and oppressed by unclean spirits and demons, but for me to say that they were possessed, well, I just wouldn't go there.

A quick bible search of the words demon and unclean spirits gives us vital information about the nature of those evil beings.  

They believe in GOD, that GOD is One (James 2); they know that Jesus is not just a man (Mark 1Mark 3); they recognize His authority (Luke 8); they know their time is limited and they know their future is certain (Matthew 8); and they tremble in His presence (James 2).

Considering all that is shown to be true about demons, I would say the majority of people, including myself do not have sufficient faith or bible knowledge to come against a demon.

And too, we must remember though the devil can't read our mind he can use whatever acquired knowledge of us that he has to hurt us. Remember, he or one of his demons has seen us in our darkest moments of sin!!

Jesus faced the devil with His Word and His totally sinless life. We may have some of His Word hidden in our hearts (Psalm 119:11) but we are still sinners and you can be sure, like the itinerant Jews and the sons of Sceva (Acts 19:13-16) we might find ourselves naked and wounded!

Perhaps we fear to speak or act in Jesus Name because we fear of acting in error.

GOD knows every thought, searches even the secrets of our hearts and minds (Psalm 44:21 & Revelation 2:23) but we don't know every thought that He has, for His thoughts are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9)

I feel certain that I am not the only one who has held back at a moment when an inner urge was strong, to do something that was totally out of character. And I believe it was the fear of being presumptuous.

We all, as faithful followers of Christ was to do His will, but none us want to do something that turns out to be wrong. So, consequently, we have a tendency to hold back.

Even well seasoned Christians can't operate at 100% all the time.

No matter how strong our faith, how deep our understanding is of His Word, we are still just human, just flesh, and subject to the frailties of that flesh.

That is why good bible study habits are essential. We need to be diligent.

I have never heard GOD's audible voice, though I have felt urgings that could only be explained in the spirit.

Many times they were like whispers way down deep in my inner most being. In reality, that description fails to truly describe what I perceived as a whisper.

But I learned long ago the HARD WAY to measure everything that I believe I hear regardless of how audible, against His Word. His Word is the final authority. (2 Timothy 3:16)

This of course includes anything I might read that is not Scripture.

His Word goes beyond anything that enters my heart or mind.

That is why it is so important, more than important, absolutely vital to our life in Christ, that we feed our spirits generously on His Word every day. We feed our bodies, we need to feed our spirits!

If my spirit is denied His Word, if I haven't hidden His Word in my heart (Psalm 119:11), if I have failed to study and show myself to be approved and acceptable (2 Timothy 2:15), then my spirit will not be paying attention when His Spirit raises a tiny red flag that warns me to stop, to back up.

I am ashamed to say, I have ignored, even totally missed many red flags in my life time. But each day I purpose myself to do more spiritual eating from His Word and less of the other kind.

I love His Word. I love each and every word. I love the way it sounds in my ear when I read it aloud, when I listen to the audible bible as I read along, that's like spiritual stereo.

I love the way His Word makes me feel, how it revives me, brings peace deep into my being, makes me feel clean and new.

And I trust His Word far more than I trust anything that I might "hear" in my head.

I always think of a line from "The Christmas Carol."

When confronted by Marley's ghost, Scrooge said any little thing might effect the "senses." The apparition could be "a slight disorder of the stomach", a bit of "undigested beef" or a "fragment of underdone potato."

And I know that sounds silly, but the human senses are easily led astray.

His Word tells us to "test every spirit." (1 John 4)

When it comes to "hearing" what we think is His voice, it is a wise thing to do. And any book that isn't entitled "The Bible" cannot be held as inerrant. Only His Word is perfect, all other written material is subject to human flesh, to error, both accidental and intentional.

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of GOD." Romans 12:2

Q4.

How did Jesus' disciples use his name when they healed and cast out demons?

“And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues;” (Mark 16:17) The apostles were empowered by Jesus do carry out healing and casting out evil spirits. In the early church, we’ve read in the Acts of the Apostles that the disciple Paul drove an evil spirit out of a woman, drawing upon the name of Jesus. Healing the sick was another area in which Jesus’ name was employed.

Do we have this kind of authority, or was it only for the apostles themselves

However we must not only acknowledge that only the disciples were empowered to heal and cast out demons in Jesus’ name but Jesus has given the power to every believer who appreciates the importance of Jesus’ name in order to do the same healing and casting out of the devil in the name of Jesus, the healer.

In these end times living up to and believing in Jesus’ name is very much still a meaningful concept, a perception which means that every Christians has the power of attorney conferred upon them.

There are those who are not able to comprehend fear, because of their insecurity in Christian beliefs. And I believe these are the ones who take the name of Jesus as a talisman of sorts to have control in situations where casting out a demon is the main aim. This act can produce negative effects. And it is to these people that Paul says “….., be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.” (Eph 6:10~11)

Jesus’s disciples casted out demons using his name. I don’t know if we have that kind of authority but I suppose we do. I just haven’t seen it done but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been done. We can ask for anything in Jesus’ name and it will be given to us as long as it is his in will. So by using Jesus’ name that shows that we have power of attorney.

I suppose that we are sometimes afraid to speak or act in Jesus’ name because we are afraid of being ridiculed. Hearing his voice about a particular matter would alleviate all that fear.

In Luke 9 we read that the disciples were unable to heal a child who was demon possessed. It does not say that they did it in the name of Jesus, but it came to mind that they did not have enough faith. Although there is power in the name of Jesus, its not some kind of magic word that we can use. The power is from the Holy spirit and when we pray in the name of Jesus we must believe that He is able to do what we ask or proclaim. After Jesus was resurrected and went to heaven the apostles prayed in the name of Jesus and many people were healed. We have the same power that raises Jesus from the dead living in us but we do not walk in that truth and that is why we do not have the same power. It was not lost when the disciples died, we just dont walk with Jesus in the faith that they did.

When Jesus disciples healed someone or cast out demons, they merely commanded the healing and said " in Jesus name" whether to be healed or casting out demons.

All believers in Christ Jesus have the authority to use his name in their prayers as he commanded. This was not just for the apostles or the church at that time.

Speaking in Jesus name gives us the power of attorney concept. We believe in him and we are his representatives.

We may at times be afraid to speak or pray in Jesus name because we ar not sure what his will is or we are afraid the power of his name may or may not be of affect for our situation.

Hearing the Lord's voice in our heart would confirm the fact that we were acting and praying according to his will.  

The miracles they did were in Jesus name which reflects back on Him. We can also pray in Jesus name by the Holy Spirit and God moves. When we pray in Jesus name we are asking on His behave for something to happen in the spiritual realm . Sometimes if we are afraid it is probably because we haven't spent enough time with Him in the Word or prayer, therefore we don't have the faith to believe He will answer.

Q3  What does it mean when you pray "in Jesus' name"? Do you use the

phrase "in Jesus' name" as you pray? Why or why not? How does praying 

"in Jesus' name" limit what we will pray for? 

1. To believe in Jesus' name means to believe in Jesus' himself.

2. To speak one's name over something or someone, or to name it, was to 

exercise power and ownership over it.  Prayer in Jesus' name is similar to prayer

that must be in accordance with God's will (John 15:7; 1 John 5:14-15).

3. prayer is about seeking him and his will with the intent of seeing his will come

to pass in our livesSeek him, find the will of God, and then pray it boldly before

the Father, in the name of Jesus.

Q4How did Jesus' disciples use his name when they healed and cast out         

demons came to save his people from their sins? Do we have this kind 

of authority, or was it only for the apostles themselves? In what way does speaking 

or acting in Jesus' name demonstrate the concept of power of attorney? Why are we 

sometimes afraid to speak or act in Jesus' name? How might hearing his voice about

a particular matter alleviate that fear?

1. To act in one's name, means that disciples spoke and acted like Jesus, in his place and

with his authority.

2.  Yes, we do.

3.  Jesus has given us his name to act on behalf of his kingdom. Jesus gives his servants 

power to heal and cast out demons in his name (Mark 9:37, 39; 16:17)  

4. Lack of faith causes fear.

5. When we learn to know his voice, we will alleviate fear.We will believe it.  

The disciples were given authority by Jesus to use His name in prayers to cast out demons and to heal the sick. This was only goinr to be possible if the disciples believe  totally in Jesus.

Yes.We have this authority.Acting in Jesus name demostrates that we are christlike and speaking on His behalf.

We are sometime afraid to act in Jesus name because of our disbelief. The devil will instill fear in us that God will not answer us.

To alleviate this fear, we need to always listen to the silent voice of the Holy spirit and trusting totally on  Jesus for all our solutions

JESUS disciples used His name when they healedand casted out demons as they spoke and acted in His place and authority.

Yes believers have the same authority as the apostles I am always encouraged when reading John 17:20-23 knowing my strength and help is coming from the Master.

The power of attorney is given to all disciples by Jesusforwhen we praying His name we are acting on behalf of His kingdom

Sometimes we are afraid to speak or act in Jesus' name because of rejection from others, peer pressure, threats from others, ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, lack of faith and trust and lifestyles that do not reflect the true teachings of the bible.

Hearing the voice of JESUS can alleviate fear testing out faith and obedience to follow Him no matter what.

• 9 months later...

Jesus' disciples commands healing by the authority given to them in the name and power of Jesus. 

Yes, we do have this authority today.

The Holy Spirit within us demonstrate the concept of power or authority as we speak in Jesus' name. 

Sometimes we are afraid to speak in Jesus' name because of lack of boldness in our spiritual life.

Because we believe and trust Jesus, hearing his voice helps to alleviate that fear.

• 1 year later...

They did so in authority and with prayer. They also did it as Christians and nto ot unbelievers. 

Yes we do and we must be willing to use it as believers. 

It comes through when we are used by the Holy Spirit and we do what the Spirit tells us to do. When we choose to speak in Jesus' name in any area that is in need of it. 

We are sometimes afraid of the retaliation we will get from speaking on His behalf. 

It will cause us to be brave and do the will of Him who sent us to do His will.