JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. One Like a Son of Man

Pastor Ralph

• 1 month later...

Daniel's prophecy revealed the divine nature of the “one like a son of man”. This One would majestically come to earth with the clouds of heaven. He has access to everlasting God, the Ancient of Days, on the throne of heaven. He is given dominion, glory, and sovereignty that no one on earth can resist or deny. There is no one anywhere who is greater, mightier, or more glorious. All people of all nations and languages will ultimately serve Him with reverent awe. No other is worthy of the world's adoration and praise. His dominance and reign is everlasting, never to be given to another earthly ruler. His universal kingdom will never be destroyed because it's not of this world – it is spiritual. His power is matchless and His sovereignty is unquestionable. In all of this, we see the righteous, moral, powerful, sovereign, and eternal nature of God Himself.

I think it was no accident and nothing of chance that Daniel was given this title “one like a son of man” for the prophecy. As Jesus grew up studying the Scriptures throughout childhood and as His understanding of His identity and purpose fully developed and clarified into manhood, He knew Daniel's prophetic description was a name that distinctly revealed His identity as Messiah. It seems to be one of the more obscure names, as Daniel's usage is the only one in Old Testament Scripture that defines “son of man” as Yahweh's divine Messiah. But that link is clear.  And it was quite clear to Jesus, who chose and used it exclusively as His title of identity to the Jewish world.

Q1 (Daniel 7:13-14) What attributes does the "one like a son of man" have in Daniel's prophecy?

​He appeared on the clouds of Heaven, and had the appearance of the son of man (not an angel). His appearance was supernatural and He was presented to the Ancient of Days (God the Father)

​ He was revealed to Daniel as prophetic in nature and who would have eternal Impact and unending power and authority.

In what ways does this personage possess divine elements?

There was given to Him (He did not have to fight for it nor claim it..it was rightfully His) dominion and glory and kingdom. All peoples, nations, and languages should serve Him.

​His dominion is an everlasting dominion which shall not pass away and never be destroyed.

​He was equal to the Father, known by the Father but now in the appearance of a Man.

What authority does he have?

​He has ALL authority over ALL...eternally.

How do we know that Jesus identified himself with this Son of Man in Daniel?

​This is the title by which Jesus identified and introduced Himself while on earth.

Resembles a man, comes on clouds of heaven, approaches the Ancient of Days.

Would have to have been divine to approach the Ancient of Days--God 

He rec'd authority, glory & power, all persons worshiped Him, has an everlasting kingdom.

In Matthew he said that in the future they'd see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of God.

Q1. (Daniel 7:13-14) What attributes does the "one like a son of man" have in Daniel's prophecy? In what ways does this personage possess divine elements? What authority does he have? How do we know that Jesus identified himself with this Son of Man in Daniel?

He resembles a man

​He comes with the clouds of heaven

​He approaches the Ancient of Days

Is worshipped by people of all nations and languages

Possesses an everlasting kingdom

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q1. (Daniel 7:13-14)

Q. What attributes does the "one like a son of man" have in Daniel's prophecy?

A. He looks like a man, come from heaven, has authority and is worshipped by people of all nations.

Q. In what ways does this personage possess divine elements?

A. He was a messiah sent from heaven, thus he was not just an ordinary man.

Q. What authority does he have?

A. He has authority over all creation

Q. How do we know that Jesus identified himself with this Son of Man in Daniel?

A. This is reflected from his answer to the question of the High Priest at his trial when asked to say if he was the Christ, the son of God he answered thus: 'Yes, it is as you say,' Jesus replied. 'But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.'" (Matthew 26:63-64)

Q1. (Daniel 7:13-14) What attributes does the "one like a son of man" have in Daniel's prophecy?

My Answer: coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence.  He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all nations and peoples of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.

My Answer: came with the clouds of heaven, able to approach the Ancient of Days and be led into His presence, given authority, glory and sovereign power, all nations worship Him, His dominion is everlasting, His kingdom is indestructible.

My Answer: the same authority as God

My Answer: "The high priest said to him, 'I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.' 

'Yes, it is as you say,' Jesus replied. 'But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.'" (Matthew 26:63-64)

He resembles a man and comes on the clouds of heaven. He approaches God and receives authority, glory and power. People worships Him all over the world in many languages and possess an everlasting kingdom. Jesus pre-existent in heaven before He came to earth as the Messiah. Jesus has authority, glory and power over the entire world and everything in it. Jesus identified Himself on earth as the Son of Man.

Q1. (Daniel 7:13-14) What attributes does the "one like a son of man" have in Daniel's prophecy?

The Prophet Daniel was chosen by GOD and during his lifetime gave many prophecies. Some have already been fulfilled, others are still in the future.

As a prophet, Daniel did exactly what had been spoken to Moses, he received prophecy through dreams and visions and he was 100% accurate.

Daniel, as one of the prophets considered  to be a "lesser" prophet, sees, in his night vision, One "like" the Son of Man, One in the likeness of a man yet given the privilege of being brought near to the "Ancient of Days", GOD the Father, by the angels who are around GOD's throne, serving Him day and night. Then He is given dominion, that is, sovereignty. He is given glory, which by what is clearly stated in Isaiah 42:8, "I Am the LORD, that is My Name; And My glory I will not give to another;" But as GOD the Son, the glory is His.

The Son of Man is also given a kingdom where all the peoples and nations of all languages would serve Him, forever, from everlasting, a dominion that will never end. And Who would be given such authority and power, other than GOD the Son?  

The Book of Daniel is thought to have been written during the persecutions of Israel. And the chapters detailing the prophecies would have been read in the synagogues, so clearly they would have been familiar to the Jews at the time of Jesus.

And of all Jews, Jesus Himself would have known all the Scriptures of all the Law and the Prophets, just as those who would have heard them read in the synagogue as was the custom of the Jews. Acts 13:15 & 27; Acts 24:14; Acts 28:23; Romans 3:21

Also, from the records of Moses in Genesis 3:15, to the Scriptures that speak of the Messiah as being the One who will come to disarm the principalities and powers, triumphing over them in Colossians 2:15; through all the OT, through David in 1 Chronicles 17:12-13; and Psalm 16:8-11; through messianic prophecies in Isaiah: Isaiah 7:14; Isaiah 53:10-12; even through prophecies given by the other "lesser" prophets like Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Micah 5:2, Zechariah 9:9-10 and even Haggai 2:6-9, though not mentioned exactly, the phrase "Son of Man" would have been identified with messianic prophecies and would have been familiar to the Jews of Jesus' day.

However, they might not have connected the phrase to Jesus because the Messiah they were all expecting would be a powerful worldly king, one who would come and destroy all of Israel's enemies. As Jesus spoke of loving enemies and of meekness, He did not fit into their idea of Messiah.

Scripture tells us that the "world" did not know Him, even His own did not receive Him (John 1:10-11; even the rulers, the priests, the scribes, governors, none of those in power "knew" him. His identity was revealed only to those He chose. Even to His own disciples. 1 Corinthians 2: 8 & 14

There are many thoughts on why Jesus seemed to want secrecy regarding Who He was, and while they seem quite sensible, I offer this reason as well:

In Matthew 12:15-21, Jesus having just healed a "great multitude" warns them not to make Him known "that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, (Isaiah 42:1-4) saying: "Behold! My servant whom I have chosen, My Beloved in whom My soul is well pleased! I will put My Spirit upon Him, and He will declare justice to the Gentiles. He will not quarrel nor cry out, Nor will anyone hear His voice in the streets. A bruised reed He will not break, and a smoking flax He will not quench, til He sends forth justice to victory; And In His Name Gentiles will trust."

That gives me a mental picture of someone tiptoeing along trying not to bring attention to Himself, as He is walking in humility, not as one who is trying to keep a secret.

But Jesus certainly knew Who He was! And when He referred to Himself as the Son of Man, He was indeed stating for all to hear, that He was indeed the Messiah. I suspect however, He knew few would recognize His words!

In John 5:25-27, Jesus said, "Most assuredly I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of GOD; and those who hear will live. For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself, and has given Him authority to execute judgement also, because He is the Son of Man."

This verse certainly makes the connection between the Son of GOD and the Son of Man undeniable.

Since the first use of the phrase "Son of Man" as a Messianic title was Daniel 7:13. It is obvious that in Matthew 8:20 when Jesus referred to Himself as the "Son of Man" He was using the phrase in the same manner as had Daniel, speaking of the Messiah.

The “one like a son of man” that is in Daniel’s prophecy has the attributes of someone that resembles a man, comes from heaven, approaches the Ancient of Days, a figure that represents God, Receives authority, glory, and sovereign power, worshipped by the people and possesses an everlasting kingdom.

The divine elements is that he is representing God. He has authority over all the people. We know that Jesus identified himself with this Son of Man in Daniel because Jesus had all these attributes.

What attributes does the “one like a son of man” have in Daniel’s prophecy?

In what ways does this personage possess divine elements? What authority does he have? How do we know that Jesus identified himself with this Son of Man in Daniel?    

• Resembles a man.
  • Comes on the clouds of heaven, perhaps denoting his heavenly origin.
  • Approaches the Ancient of Days, a figure obviously representing God.
  • Receives authority, glory, and sovereign power.
  • Is worshipped by people of all nations and languages.
  • Possesses an everlasting kingdom.

He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him.  When questioned by the high priest, Jesus answered yes to the question was he 'Christ, the Son of God.'

I think that Daniel used the term Son of Man to explain to his readers that He looked like a man where all the others in his vision was heavenly entities because he says "one like a".

"Coming with the clouds of heaven" would indicate that He is from heavenly origin as mentioned.

He "approached the Ancient of Days"(God). In my understanding no-one can approach God so this will indicate that He is special, favoured.

As mentioned above He is special, divine so He can approach God.

He has all authority, glory and sovereign power over everyone on earth

He mentions that title at different times Himself. He does refer to Himself as the Son of Man.

Having His origin in Heavens, He comes amongst us, as Son of Man in His own terms, obviously
referring to Daniel's prophecy and to His human nature which He retains, and Son of God from
eternity. We wait eagerly for His coming to us again to take us to be with Him in His heavenly
 realm. He is one with the Father, the Ancient of Days. Having accomplished all He was sent by His Father to do, particularly to suffer and die on the cross for us, He was given all authority over
all the powers of heaven and earth and as St Paul tells us, He was given the name that is above
every name, that is JESUS IS LORD!   

Q1. (Daniel 7:13-14) What attributes does the “one like a son of man” have in Daniel’s prophecy? In what ways does this personage possess divine elements? What authority does he have? How do we know that Jesus identified himself with this Son of Man in Daniel?

According to the notes the "son of man:

Resembles a man

Probably has a heavenly origin, representing God

Has authority, glory and sovereign power

Is worshiped by all peoples

and possesses an everlasting kingdom.

The son of man therefore possessed divine qualities and attributes. According to the notes, Jesus used this title 65 times in the gospels, in the third person. Further it was clear that from Jesus exchange with the high priest, at Jesus trial, he saw himself as the "son of man" as referred to by Daniel (Matt 26:63-64).

Q1. (Daniel 7:13-14) What attributes does the “one like a son of man” have in Daniel’s prophecy? In what ways does this personage possess divine elements? What authority does he have? How do we know that Jesus identified himself with this Son of Man in Daniel?

Daniel 7:13-14, in Daniel's vision he saw "one that looks like the son of man coming with the clouds of glory". This of course appears to be a man like figure in heaven, a person born of mankind.

The personage posses divine elements, because he was coming to earth in the clouds of heavenly glory.

The authority ha has is that he approaches the Ancient of Days, receiving authority, is worshiped and posses an ever lasting Kingdom.

Jesus identified himself as the "Son of Man" because use of this title indicates Jesus claimed to be a preexistence heavenly kind of Messiah who has appeared unexpectedly as a man among men.

Q1. (Daniel 7:13-14) 

What attributes does the "one like a son of man" have in Daniel's prophecy? 

What authority does He have? 

How do we know that Jesus identified Himself with this Son of Man in Daniel?

In Daniel’s prophecy we read about God crowning Jesus King, and given Him all power and glory, so that all people of every nation and race would serve Him. 

He will rule forever, and His kingdom is eternal, never to be destroyed.

Only a divine being given all that authority can possess all these attributes.

In Matthew 26:63-64 we read that Jesus identified Himself with the Son of Man in Daniel, which is the way Daniel had seen the coming Redeemer. 

We also read in Matthew 24:30, about a sign will appear in the sky, and there will be the Son of Man. 

All nations on earth will weep when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Son of Man is also the name that Jesus used most often to refer to Himself. 

Referring to Himself as a person of exceptional authority and power.

He made it clear that He was not acting on His own, but under the authority of God the Father.  

The attributes of  the “one like a son of man” in Daniel’s prophecy are human likeness because He resembles a man, He;s not earthly because his origin is heaven, He has authority as He approaches the throne of God, God has given to Him authority, glory and sovereign power, He is worshiped by people of all nations and He has an everlasting kingdom. His attributes designates or demonstrates His divinity as He has ALL authority and power in heaven and in earth.  Jesus, in answering the high priest, used the phrase, "Son of Man" as Daniel did when he answered,  " In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven." 

Q1. (Daniel 7:13-14) What attributes does the "one like a son of man" have

in Daniel's prophecy? In what ways does this personage possess divine elements?

What authority does he have? How do we know that Jesus identified himself with 

this Son of Man in Daniel?

1. Resembles a man.Comes on the clouds of heaven, perhaps denoting his heavenly origin.

Approaches the Ancient of Days, a figure obviously representing God.

2. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away,

and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed." (Daniel 7:13-14)

3. Jesus receives authority, glory, and sovereign power.

4. Yes, it is as you say,' Jesus replied. 'But I say to all of you: In the

future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One

and coming on the clouds of heaven.'" (Matthew 26:63-64)

Daniel 7:13-14) What attributes does the "one like a son of man" have in Daniel's prophecy? In what ways does this personage possess divine elements? What authority does he have? How do we know that Jesus identified himself with this Son of Man in Daniel?

Resembles a man.

Comes on the clouds of heaven, perhaps denoting his heavenly origin.

Approaches the Ancient of Days, a figure obviously representing God.

Receives authority, glory, and sovereign power.

Is worshipped by people of all nations and languages.

Possesses an everlasting kingdom.

Has glory and sovereign power and He possesses an everlasting kingdom

He has sovereign power!

He comes on the clouds of heaven.

Q1. (Daniel 7:13-14) What attributes does the "one like a son of man" have in Daniel's prophecy? In what ways does this personage possess divine elements? What authority does he have? How do we know that Jesus identified himself with this Son of Man in Daniel?

The son of Man was Jesus’ favorite designation of himself. The title was known to himself. It is a designation of the prophet in Daniel and also in Ezekiel, of that prophet.  It appears in the latter more than ninety times as a designation for the prophet, attributed to the Lord or to the angel.

This one “who looked like a man” is the Messiah. Jesus used this verse to refer to himself. The son of man meant by Daniel was a powerful figure from heaven who would establish an eternal Kingdom that would encompass all peoples Jesus Christ. Daniel predicted and wrote of the son of man ‘coming on the clouds of heaven’, taking world-wide authority and establishing a kingdom that would never end. In Daniel’s dream vision also saw God’s everlasting, indestructible Kingdom arriving and conquering all.

When He lived here, Jesus is the son of man with Heaven at his command and has the power over any force here on earth, but the force he would never have been able to get true worship without people.

Resembles a man, comes on clouds of heaven, approaches the Ancient of Days.

Would have to have been divine to approach the Ancient of Days--God 

He rec'd authority, glory & power, all persons worshiped Him, has an everlasting kingdom.

In Matthew he said that in the future they'd see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of God

• 2 weeks later...

The attributes that "one like a son of man" has in Daniel's prophecy are 1] resembles a man, 2] has a heavenly origin, 3] represents God, 4] receives authority, 5] is worshipped, and 6] possession of an everlasting kingdom.

The way this personage possesses divine elements is, He was given authority, glory, and sovereign power.

He has the authority to have all peoples, nations, and every language worship Him because His kingdom will be everlasting.

We know that Jesus identified Himself with this Son of Man in Daniel because, when the high priest asked Him if He was the Christ, Jesus replied that He was and in the future you would see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven.

• 2 years later...

The Son of Man was given authority, glory and sovereign power. Even in this pre-existent state the Son of Man had the appearance of a human being, hence his description in Daniel. He was given dominion over everything and everyone.

We have to understand that these visions Daniel was having were terrifying and difficult to comprehend. Daniel had these visions hundreds of years before Jesus was born. There was no teaching in those days of the Trinitarian Godhead. In Daniel's day people only worshipped and feared God as their deity. The idea of God existing as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit was completely foreign to  everyone on Earth. Daniel's vision of a Son of Man (again this was Daniel's way of describing someone almost indescribable) was a completely new revelation from God. Now for the first time we see that there is another in Heaven with authority to rule over everything. For whatever reason, God has chosen to bring about His Kingdom according to a Divine timetable. Firstly God chose a man, Abraham, to father a nation that would be called God's chosen people. Then, after centuries of captivity in an earthly kingdom, God chose a man, Moses, to lead His people out of captivity into the Promised Land. Then, after centuries of confusion God chose a man, David, to become the king after God's own heart, to rule His people. Then, after centuries of His people going astray and being conquered by an earthly kingdom, God sent a man, the Son of Man, to usher in a new and everlasting Kingdom. But there again, God had a timetable. His Kingdom is advancing slowly, giving everyone on Earth time to hear the Gospel of Christ and respond to it.

I understand all this to mean that the powers aligned against God by Satan after his fall have power, granted under God's sovereign control and also subject to His timetable, to rule this world for a definite number of years. For whatever reason, God has made things happen in this way, rather than just obliterate all opposition to His dominion. Through His Son, Jesus the Messiah, God will conquer all His enemies and bring about the fruition of His Kingdom with Jesus being the Conqueror in the final battle.

Now I know I've just summed up the whole Bible here, but that's the big picture. We have Jesus introduced in Old Testament prophecy and given flesh in the New Testament Gospels. While He was on Earth Jesus used the title first given Him by the prophet Daniel, which is fitting if you think of it in that way.

• 2 weeks later...

The Son of Man that the prophet Daniel speaks of resembled a man. He comes on the clouds of heaven, meaning that heaven is where He came from. He approaches the Ancient of Days a person representing God Himself. He receives authority, power, and glory from God Himself. He is worshipped by all people and creation. He has an eternal kingdom.

This  personage has power and like God was not created like humans are but was in existence before the world began. He is given a place next to God Himself on the throne. He has power over all creation like God does. All creation and mankind is under His authority like God.

Jesus has supreme authority because He comes from God. God will eventually put all things under His feet. All humanity and creation will bow down to Him and worship Him. For He is equal with the Father.

Jesus stated in Matthew 26: 63-64 that everyone would see the Son Of Man sitting at God’s right hand and coming on the clouds of heaven. Here he uses the text from Daniel to talk about Himself and it refers to when He comes back.

The Son of Man will resemble a man.  He comes on the clouds of heaven, perhaps denoting his heavenly origin.
Approaches the Ancient of Days, a figure obviously representing God.
Receives authority, glory, and sovereign power.
Is worshipped by people of all nations and languages.
Possesses an everlasting kingdom. 
Jesus spoke of himself as the Son of Man many times in the Bible. He referenced it several times as He spoke of Himself. He said that you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God. Referencing Himself at the time about sitting next to God. The sanhedrin were incensed at the very idea of someone being equal with God.