JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Doing a Good Job for Employers

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (2:18) If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job? In what sense do we dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

If we submit to our employers and show them respect, God is pleased with us. In the same way, if we do not submit to our employers and show them respect, we are bringing dishonor to our God. If we are going to be called by His name, and follow Him, we must act like it. We can't act like the people of the world, because that makes us the same as them and no different at all. We need to have our employers look at us like we are definitely a different breed, and they are pleased. This brings honor to God.

Love y'all,

Patsy in Idaho

We are made in the image of God. "God looked at everything that He had made, and behold it was very good."

Everything we do should be excellent as a glory to our Creator, in whose image we are made.

To do less is to honour a lower deity (namely self or the rebellious spirit) People are very aware of God (Romans 1"20) even though they "protest too much", and quick to rebuke us (our God) for a poor performance. Nobody is going to take any notice of a half-baked witness, unless it is to mock us (and our God). We need total integrity all the time.

Q2. (2:18) If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job? In what sense do we dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

God expect us to work as if we're working for Him. "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as if working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 2:23 NIV We submit to our employers and respect them as God commands yet we work as if for the Lord and that has to be our full effort. If we don't give our full effort we are being disobedient to God and not showing our love for Him.

If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is it saying about God's expectation that we do a good job? In what sense do we dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

A Christian should do above and beyond in his or her job. With out questionm our conduct on the job should be higher, as a 'calling' not a job. If you have sought the Lord for your work/career, then it is a vocation not merely employment. I was taught as a young man to, "work as unto God and not to man". Regardless of circumstances or pressures or complaints on our job, we can see that our work is to be dedicated to Jesus. If your employer knows of your Christian teaching and beliefs and you fall short of normal employer expectations it certainly brings dishonor to Jesus. Christians should be the best, most conscientious employees and employers. You should be known by your actions.

All that we do we should do it as though we are doing it unto the Lord. We honor God by doing a good Job. God expects this from us and when we don't we are disobedient, and it displeases Him. We honor God even in our work. Others are always watching, especially when we profess to be christian.

God does not want us to be lazy. If we are doing a good job over small matters, God will put us over lager ones. So let us all as servants of God honor him by giving our full effforts to our jobs.

We are charged to approach all tasks required of us with nothing less than the best effort we can muster. By evading responsibility and doing shoddy work, we are seen as being less than we are supposed to be. As God's children we must give our best effort in ALL we do so that we are seen to be worthy of the title -Christian.

Our mission to spread the Good News to those who need it can easily be compromised if we are seen as sloppy, negligent employees. By failing in this mission, we bring dishonor to God.

Jesus told us' " If anyone asks you to walk with him one mile, walk with him two miles. If he asks for your coat give him your cloak also". He also told us ," The laborer is worthy of his hire". Placeing these concepts in perspective we are to look at our employers, not as advesaries; but, as one who both makes demands on us and as well makes provision for us to meet the needs of our families. The employee who is a second mile employee need not fear the employer or look on him with fear. In living up to our obligations, or surpassing that which is expected of us, we become light in the marketplace. Our witness is sure to please God

As Christians we are to be people of integrity. We are to reflect God's glory in the workplace. We have an opportunity to testify by our labors that we are honest and upright people. Our work enables us to care for our own needs, and also, for those in need. Serving God while we are with other Christians is one thing, but to display to the world in a secular setting a christian testimony is all important.

We show respect when we follow the directives of our jobs. If we do not submit and respect our employers, we dishonor God, for He has told us to "submit to authority". And doing as good a job as we can is a part of this submission.

Again, when we disobey Him in our daily contacts with others, we are showing contempt of His Laws by not being obedient to His word in our relationships with others. As a matter of fact, in all our relationships, when we do not behave in the manner that God has directed--loving others and serving, rather than demanding love and service of others--we give a false impression of what a Christian is, or should be! When we then say we are Christians, or have bumper stickers or crosses declaring that we are, then we besmirch His name. What a horrible thought! :o

If Christians say that they respect God but fail to do likewise to their employers, then what does it reflect upon their lives? Thus, our submission to our employers should reflect our submission to God. I believe God wants us to work for our employer as if God Himself is the employer. If that is the case, then any sign of lack of commitment in line of duty will indeed dishonour God!

We should want to do a good job out of our love for God because He sees us. What we do and how we act reflects on us or if we were of another philosophy it would reflect on that one. People shouldn't judge a philosophy by the abuse of it but they do and to silence the critics of our God we should behave with integrity and respect. There is something about character involved here that you want to do a good job. God's people should be of good character.

I struggle in every area but as Susannah Wesley put it "Perfection is God's attribute sincerity is mine". It is God who will finish the good work He started in us but we should desire when we see areas where improvement is needed to labor earnestly for our good and God's glory.

God Bless

Jen

The kingdom of God, all the spiritual realm, and all of God's creation is orderly. There is much mention of an hierarchy of power in the heavenlies. Jesus commends the centurion of Mt. 8:5-10 that he understands and submits to the authority structure. When we are submitted in our proper place with the appropriate attitude toward those whom honour is due we keep ourselves under God's protection and give no place to the devil to bring accusation. Romans 13:7

As His children, God expects us to be on our best behaviour, whether on the job, in the home, in church, or anywhere else. We honor God when we give our employer an honest day's work and treat him or her with respect. Can our boss trust us to do our best even when he or she is not around?

If Jesus Christ was our supervisor, would our work ethics be any different? No matter what our job is or who we work for, the One we ultimately want to please is our Heavenly Father; and being submissive and respectful to our employer is a small part of pleasing God with our behaviour.

We dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs because our supervisor and fellow workers get mixed signals about how a Christian should behave. We should show responsibility and integrity on the job, and this will let others know that you can trust a Christian to take their work seriously and get the job done.

Submission....Humility........Servanthood........We respresent the Christ, as we are called Christians. We work for the Lord......Always do more than is required. Work unto the Lord. Work is good for us. It keeps us busy, it is not about the wages.It is about being a good servant. We work unto the Lord. We are not to be lazy people. We are to earn our right to eat. Work and labor unto the Lord.

If we are to submit to our employers and respect them, what is that saying about God's expectation that we do a good job? In what sense do we dishonor God when we don't give our full effort to our jobs?

"WHATEVER YOU DO IN WORD OR DEED, DO AS UNTO THE LORD!" is the command of scripture. In truth, we do not work for our employers, but the Lord through our employers. a saying that is often convicting is the one that states, "we play to an audience of one." Regardless of whether we are working on our jobs, serving in our communities, living at home, shopping, driving, walking, WHATEVER WE DO, we are to do it as if we are doing it for Christ. With our whole heart, at the utmost level of excellence, as if Christ, Himself, were the one watching over us...For in truth...isn't He?

"It is one thing to know

that my relationship to God is secure.

I know this because Jesus is my Savior and Lord.

It is quite another to accept my assignment

in God's world as His son and servant,

to love the world He created,

and to truly and joyfully live for and love and serve

my brothers and sisters in the human family.

This power, this life, all that I need

to live a joyful, effective,abundant life,

is within me.

It has been granted.

I need only to accept it,

and to live and act as if it is so--

whether I feel it or not.

Only then I discover

love and joy and meaning, and purpose

and begin to infect others about me

with contagion of God's life and Spirit.

God help me,

and His sons and daughters

throughout the world,

to rise up and live! "

We must be aware of our employers and must obey the rules. We dishonor God by not obeying God's Commandments and disobeying the laws of the land.