JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Beloved

• 1 month later...

The reason is love. Jesus was willing to die for the atonement of our sin and the Father was willing to send His Beloved Son to do that because of their immeasurable love for humanity, the crown of all creation. It was for love of the Bride of Christ who would be assembled fromwith all who would believe in Him for salvation and relationship. To our minds, as human parents, giving an only child who is innocent to die in the place of the guilty an unfathomable concept that makes NO sense! The very idea of giving my child to die for someone else runs contrary to all that God placed in my nature and my heart as a mother. But the Kingdom of God is “upside down” to the world's understanding. And what great and pure love the Father has for us to do such a thing in order to bring us into the glory He created us for. I think of these words from this profound song by Stuart Townend.

How deep the Father's love for us, How vast beyond all measure,

That He should give His only Son to make a wretch His treasure.

How great the pain of searing loss, The Father turns His face away

As wounds which mar the Chosen One bring many sons to glory.

Q2. (Mark 1:10-11; Ephesians 1:6) If Jesus is the Father’s Beloved, how can the Father send him to die? How does that make sense, given what we know of paren-tal love? What does that say about God’s love for us?

As the Father's Beloved Son, The Father sent the dearest to him, there is no match for the sacrifice that needed to be made; so Father God sent Jesus to be Redeemer of mankind. In the minds and emotions of human parents this sacrifice will be exteremly hard to do, but God the Father love His creation too much to see them lost for eternity. 

Q2. (Mark 1:10-11; Ephesians 1:6) If Jesus is the Father's Beloved, how can the Father send him to die?

My Answer: Jesus is the Father's Beloved and as His Beloved He is the Only One whose life can be an exchange for us, also the Father's Beloved. God's laws require a pure and perfect sacrifice in atonement for sin. No one on earth could fulfill that requirement so God sent His precious and only Son to suffer and die to cover our sin with the blood of Jesus Christ. Because of Jesus sacrifice, and defeating the power of sin through His resurrection, we are worthy to spend eternity with God.

How does that make sense, given what we know of parental love?

My Answer: God is our Father too. He loves us so much that He sent a part of Himself to die in our place, so that we would not be separated from Him forever. That is the very definition of parental love...providing the best for our children, even at a cost to ourselves, so that our children can have a bright future. 

What does that say about God's love for us?

My Answer: Wow! God made the ultimate sacrifice through Jesus' death, a time when God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit were separated as Jesus descended into hell. As a parent, I know how it feels to be separated from my children and grandchildren. Not only would the Godhead have felt that type of separation but they would also feel the kind of separation one might experience when losing a limb. God knows everything and in spite of His knowing how unworthy I am in my own strength, He loves me enough not only to send His Son to die in my place but to allow my body to be a temple for Him, a place of constant connection with the Almighty God! 

Q2. (Mark 1;10-11; Eph l:5) If Jesus is the Father's Beloved, how can the Father send him to die?

​John 3:16 tells us the answer: "For God so greatly loved and prized the world that He even gave up His only begotten unique Son, so that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life." " He foreordained us, destined us, planned in love for us, to be adopted as His own children through Jesus Christ because it pleased Him and was His kind intent so that we might be to the praise of His glory which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved (Son)"  Mark 1:5,6)

​He knew that Adam would rebel before he formed the foundation of the world due to the gift of free will. Jesus' death was not an after thought.  In the Father's  foreknowledge, this was always His plan, because He is a God of redemption. His choices were to scrap the whole plan of creation, or to create another race without the gift of free will. But those would be robots not children. Love was his motivation. And we are the object of His great love.

​Abraham walking up the mountain with his beloved Son Isaac carrying the wood on his back which would burn him as a sacrifice unto God, is a type or picture of this plan which would finally be fulfilled at the Cross of Calvary. Abraham obeyed because he believed his son would be restored to him alive, raised from the dead. God the Father sent Jesus, knowing He would be restored to Him alive, raised from the dead after laying down His life as the sacrificial offering...His death a ransom for many. The kernel of wheat falling into the ground, producing a huge crop, to the praise of His glory, rather than to exist alone. 

It tells us that we are His treasure and that we are worth His immeasurable sacrifice which was ..."His purpose and plan, His merciful intention" and, that we were made God's heritage, and joint heirs of Jesus His Son. (Eph 1) Paul calls this "the Mystery" His secret. How can we ever thank Him enough for His great love! And how tragic that so many will choose to reject this beautiful gift of eternal life with their creator and the lover of their souls.

His justice demanded it.  There was no other way to save us--we are all sinners.  He loves us that much!!

His job of parenting us, goes far beyond food, water, clothing..  It goes all the way to our salvation!  We, as parents, are limited and often make mistakes in our parenting, but He doesn't!!

We are not worthy!!  But He gives us the eternal life and salvation we do not deserve.  Jesus died for us--no other act of love measures up to that!!

(Mark 1:10-11; Ephesians 1:6) If Jesus is the Father’s Beloved, how can the Father send him to die? How does that make sense, given what we know of paren-tal love? What does that say about God’s love for us?    

The Father sent Jesus to die because "God so love the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" Jn 3:16.  We are the Father's children.  A parent show unconditional love for their children.  It shows that our Father loves each and every one of us.    

Q2. (Mark 1:10-11; Ephesians 1:6) If Jesus is the Father's Beloved, how can the Father send him to die? How does that make sense, given what we know of parental love? What does that say about God's love for us?

John 3:16  For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

2 Peter 3:9b  not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

"Amazing love how can it be that thou my God shouldst die for me".

If we expect God to make sense to us we are going to have a long wait.  We are limited in sight, love, knowledge, wisdom etc. It seems the only thing that there are no limits to is the evil we can do.  God is not limited in love, power, knowledge.  He is all knowing, righteous, just , holy and a God of love.  All we can do is worship Him and ask that He bring glory to His name through us and souls for Him.  It is His to do  and ours to obey.  

God Bless!

Jen

Jude 24,25

Q2. (Mark 1:10-11; Ephesians 1:6)

Q. If Jesus is the Father's Beloved, how can the Father send him to die?

A. Because only through His beloved son could He save the world. Besides, His son would rise again after the death on the cross. Only as God could die and rise again. And without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin permanently. Recall the blood of animals could not atone for sin permanently.

Q. How does that make sense, given what we know of parental love?

A. Humanly speaking that would not make sense because the things of the Spirit are foolish to the perishing fleshy worldly mind.

Q.  What does that say about God's love for us?

A. Go’s love is unimaginably true.

The Father put His Spirit in The Son. God the Son came to earth as a man with God's Spirit within Him. The Son loved the Father as the Father loved the Son. It makes sense to me be a use the Son was also God therefore part of the Godhead. No human could have done what Jesus did. God the Father love us so much that God the Son came in down and born in fresh to die for us. There is no greater love than the love of God.

If Jesus is the Father's Beloved, how can the Father send him to die?

Just because God is love. We can't explain it.

It doesn't any sense.  :D 

This says much more than We can understand.

Q2. (Mark 1:10-11; Ephesians 1:6) If Jesus is the Father's Beloved,                                                how can the Father send him to die? How does that make sense,                                                                                                                             given what we know of parental love? What does that say about                                                   God's love for us?

1. John 3:16 states: For God so loved the world, that he gave his                                                               only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not                                                       perish, but have everlasting life.

2."Behold, my servant whom I have chosen,
my beloved with whom my soul is well pleased." (Matthew 12:18)                                                                           

God was pleased with Jesus and knew nobody could do what he desired except Jesus. God had a special relationship with Jesus.                                                                    The word "beloved" or "whom I love" is agapētos, "pertaining to                                                one who is in a very special relationship with another, only, only beloved."

3. He loved us so much that he gave his only son for us.                                                

Q2. (Mark 1:10-11; Ephesians 1:6) If Jesus is the Father's Beloved, how can the Father send him to die? How does that make sense, given what we know of parental love? What does that say about God's love for us?

To ask "how can the Father send Him to die?" is the same as asking why did He have to die?

In the NT, the word 'wonder" is used only 5 times (KJV) using only 3 Greek words.

There is:  

thambos - to be amazed;

thaumazo - to admire, to marvel;

semeion - a wonder, sign, toke or miracle.

But in our modern English, to wonder is to speculate, to question and try to re-think a specific issue.

If our "wondering" is to be amazed, made immovable in admiration of GOD's plan for our salvation, then that wondering is O.K.

But if our wondering is actually speculating and questioning whether GOD might have used a different way other than sending Christ Jesus to die for us, to pay the penalty for our sin, then we are on the verge of thinking GOD made a mistake, did a terrible thing.

Killed His own Son! Jesus didn't have to die, maybe there was another way!

And the first verse that comes to my mind is: 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 (I love how JB Phillips reads) "The very weapons we use are not those of human warfare but powerful in GOD’s warfare for the destruction of the enemy’s strongholds. Our battle is to bring down every deceptive fantasy and every imposing defense that men erect against the true knowledge of GOD. We even fight to capture every thought until it acknowledges the authority of Christ."

If our thoughts are questioning GOD's wisdom and His plan for us, then those thoughts must be captured and brought into submission to the obedience of Christ and His Word. For He and the Word are one. (John 1:1-4)

Trouble is, if we think there might have been another way, a better way, a way not taking the road to Golgatha, then we are venturing into thinking beyond our understanding of GOD Himself.

Isaiah 55:8, "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways" says the LORD."

1 Corinthians 10:4 tells us that Christ is the Rock, He is the Rock of our salvation. (Psalm 95:1)

And Deuteronomy 32:4 tells us, "He is the Rock, His work is perfect; For all His ways are justice, a GOD of truth and without injustice; Righteous and upright is He."

Romans 3:23, "all have sinned and fall short of the glory (that's His dignity & honor) of GOD"

Romans 6:23, "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of GOD is eternal life in Christ Jesus our LORD."

And the most important fact that we must agree on is found in 2 Corinthians 5:21, "For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of GOD IN Him."

How can that make sense? What does it say about GOD's love for us?

It makes perfect sense, but not to the carnal mind, a mind that is either still in the world and is lingering on the cusp of the world.

2 Corinthians 5:18-19, "Now all things are of GOD, Who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, that is, that GOD was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to hem, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation."

The "all things" that the Apostle Paul is referring to are the "new" things from the previous verse (vs 17), "Therefore, if anyone is IN Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold (see), all things have become new."

GOD's love for us is expressed in many ways, but of the gospel of Jesus Christ, it is the sweetest!

In 1 Corinthians 15, the Apostle Paul tells us that Christ died for our sins "according to the Scriptures", was buried and rose again on third day "according to the Scriptures."

That's the gospel and we are saved by faith in the gospel.

So without His crucifixion, burial and resurrection, there would be no salvation, or as Paul says, "if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins!!" (vs 17

"Worthy is the Lamb Who was slain".... Revelation 5:12

"Alleluia! Salvation and glory and honor and power belong to the LORD (our Messiah) our GOD!"... Revelation 19:1

Q2. (Mark 1:10-11; Ephesians 1:6) If Jesus is the Father’s Beloved, how can the Father send him to die? How does that make sense, given what we know of paren-tal love? What does that say about God’s love for us?

Both Old Testament and New Testament both clearly teach that there is no forgiveness of sins with out the shedding of blood. God through his agape love for us provided his son, Jesus his agaptos son whom he loves, to provide the means by which our redemption comes.  

God the Father sent his only son, whom he loves, to be a redeemer for us that we could be reconciled back to the Father. As Abraham was to sacrifice his son for the Lord because of his faith and love, so God the Father provided his own sacrifice for we sinners.

John 3:16, "for God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" 

Q2. (Mark 1:10-11; Ephesians 1:6) 

If Jesus is the Father's Beloved, how can the Father send Him to die? 

This gives us an idea of the magnitude of our Heavenly Father’s love for us.

The Father loves the Son so much, yet He sends the Son to die for our sins. 

This is true love.

We cannot even attempt to measure or imagine the love of God for His own sinless Son Jesus Christ. 

In our world, surely such a Father will not permit such a Son to suffer – never mind to die. 

Yet He "spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all."

“He who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all - how will He not also, along with Him, graciously give us all things? (Romans 8:32).

His love to His sinful children made Him willing to sacrifice His sinless Son.

“In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering. (Hebrews 2:10)”

The Father’s sacrifice in allowing Christ to suffer and die must only be because: "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16).

We can consider this question at a human level as indeed it comes to us that way in Jn 3:16
and indeed as Jesus came to us, lived, worked, taught, died and saved us as a true man.
But there is a deeper meaning in the realms of the higher places beyond our understanding
where God reigns. Yet He deigns to come down to us and to our level because He loves us so
much, to heal the sin that besets us.  

This is the epitome of love. There is no greater love than when a man lays down his life for his friend's (John 15:13). The scripture also says that God's love was so great for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us (Romans 5:8). In addition ..."For God so loved the world that he gave his only son... (John 3:16)-in context, God sent the son into the world not to condemn the world but that the world would be saved through him (John 3:17).

It does not make sense that that God sent his son to be cursed for us because of our sin when his son did not sin-he knew no sin (Galatians 3:13, 2 Corinthians 5:22).

This gives us an idea of the magnitude of our Heavenly Father’s love for us.

The Father loves the Son so much, yet He sends the Son to die for our sins. 

This is true love.

We cannot even attempt to measure or imagine the love of God for His own sinless Son Jesus Christ. 

In our world, surely such a Father will not permit such a Son to suffer – never mind to die.

Yet He "spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all."

“He who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all - how will He not also, along with Him, graciously give us all things? (Romans 8:32).

His love to His sinful children made Him willing to sacrifice His sinless Son.

“In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering. (Hebrews 2:10)”

The Father’s sacrifice in allowing Christ to suffer and die must only be because: "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16).

• 2 weeks later...

The Spirit descended like a dove on Jesus, and the voice from heaven proclaimed the Father’s approval of Jesus as his divine Son. The fact that Jesus is God’s divine Son informs everything that we read about Jesus in the Gospels. Here we see all three members of the Trinity together—God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

God’s “unchanging plan” is another way of saying that salvation is God’s work and not our own doing. In his infinite love, God has adopted us as his own children. Through Jesus’ sacrifice, he has brought us into his family and made us heirs along with Jesus (Romans 8:17). In Roman law, adopted children had the same rights and privileges as biological children, even if they had been slaves. Paul uses this term to show how strong our relationship to God is.We have entered into this loving relationship with God through Jesus Christ because He loves us

• 2 weeks later...

God loved us so much that He was willing to send His Son to suffer and die a brutal death on a cross to save us from eternal punishment in hell.

This doesn't make sense to our natural minds because no parent I know would willingly sacrifice their child for anyone, let alone the whole world.

The only exception was when God told Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac. Abraham was willing to obey God because he believed God's promise that he would have many descendants. 

What this says about God's love for us is, He was willing to pay the ultimate price, the death of His Son, to ransom us from Satan's dark domain.

• 2 years later...

I believe that God sent Him to die because it was the only way for man to be saved. The one who died had to be perfect and without sin just like the offerings the Jews had Jesus was the only one who could do it, He was perfect and without sin and guileless as well as being divine. Only He could die and go to hell; defeat Satan, death, hell and the grave and rise again. 

In human standards it does not make sense because no human parent would do that . We would rather die than let one of our own suffer and die. 

This says that God’s love for us was so great that He did not even spare His own Son. He loved us enough to let Him die for us. It states that God’s greatest desire is for us to be saved and be with Him. He loves us deeply and longs for us to love and know Him as well.

From what the Bible states God’s love is nothing like a human parent’s love at all. He chose to give up His only Son because He loved us so much that He didn’t want to be separated from us anymore. He chose to do it out of love and that love was so strong that nothing but the death of Jesus, His Son would suffice the atonement of sin for our sins. It tells us that God’s love for us is great and deep. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:25 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Mark 1:10-11; Ephesians 1:6) If Jesus is the Father’s Beloved, how can the Father send him to die?  It was the ultimate sacrifice that the Father offered to save humanity. It shows that the love of Most High God for us His creations was worth the sacrifice of the most valuable thing in his possession: His only Son. 

How does that make sense, given what we know of paren-tal love? As a human, it doesn't make sense. But viewed in a wider perspective, God is Almighty, and he had the ability to bring his Son from the dead so essentially, he knew that it was a small price for the suffering He asked Jesus to endure, in order to save us, His other children, from the doom of sin. I would not do it personally because I don't want to see anybody in pain and suffering, but I think God has the ultimate picture in that He could see that His Son's suffering would return a longterm  outcome of salvation for humanity. As humans, we can't see beyond what is present.

What does that say about God’s love for us? See above.