JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Lord Jesus

• 1 month later...

Q4. Why is the title “Lord Jesus” such an exalted one. What does it tell us about Jesus’ divinity?

The title of "Lord Jesus" is an exalted one because to Jesus' followers it means, at the very least, that He is "master, superior," above all others, to be served, worshiped and adored as the Holy One of God.

Q4 Why is the title "Lord Jesus" such an exalted one?  What does it tell us about Jesus' divinity?

​There is only One Lord, designating Jesus as God, high and lifted up, King of Kings and Lord of lords. Nations, kings, kingdoms, are all in the palm of His hands and His authority is over all creation! He is eternal, and will reign supreme and Sovereign forever and ever.

Why is the title “Lord Jesus” such an exalted one. What does it tell us about Jesus’ divinity?     

The title "Lord Jesus" is such an exalted one because Jesus is God Himself!!  He is "master, superior," above all others, to be served, worshiped and adored as the Holy One of God.

Q4. Why is the title "Lord Jesus" such an exalted one. What does it tell us about Jesus' divinity?

​Lord comes from the Greek kyrios which means "owner, one who is in charge by virtue of possession", then anyone in a position of authority, lord master.  So the title Lord Jesus means He is the owner of all, He has all power, He is in charge of all, He has the power to save us from our sins.

Only God can save us from our sins so it tells us of His divinity. Our words cannot do justice even a little to who Jesus is.  There is something heartfelt about this so that it cannot be communicated fully in words, but only in heart talk with our God.  I believe for all eternity we will have "heart talk with Jesus" and those of us who have studied now will be filled with an awesome awareness of what we have studied and unable to put into mere words.

God Bless!

Jen 

Numbers 6:24-26

Q4. Why is the title “Lord Jesus” such an exalted one. What does it tell us about Jesus’ divinity?

The title Lord Jesus is such an exalted one because it signifies that Jesus is in a position of authority. 

It also tells us Jesus divinity is in God himself.

Q4. 

Why is the title "Lord Jesus" such an exalted One? 

What does it tell us about Jesus' divinity? 

The name Lord, being none other than Jehovah (Yahweh), declares His Deity. 

After His resurrection and ascension, He became the Lord of history, the Lord of the church, and our Lord as believers.

As believers we submit to His Lordship, and crown Him as supreme ruler over our lives.

The name Jesus belongs to His humanity and the way of salvation through His redeeming Sacrifice.

All this indicates that He is the Exalted One.

All of which reminds me of these words:

There is a name I love to hear,

I love to sing its worth;

It sounds like music in mine ear,

The sweetest name on earth.

Oh, how I love Jesus,

Oh, how I love Jesus,

Oh, how I love Jesus,

Because He first loved me!

Amen.

Q4. Why is the title "Lord Jesus" such an exalted one. What does it tell us about Jesus' divinity?

My Answer: to extend the title of "Lord" to Jesus means, at the very least, "master, superior," but is usually intended to refer to Jesus as divine. The characteristic Christian statement of faith is, "Jesus is Lord"

Q4. Why is the title "Lord Jesus" such an exalted one? What does it   tell us about Jesus' divinity?

1. Thus, to extend the title of "Lord" to Jesus means, at the very least, "master, superior,"

but is usually intended to refer to Jesus as divine. The characteristic Christian statement of faith is,

"Jesus is Lord" (1 Corinthians 12:3).

1. Thus,the title,"Lord Jesus Christ"contains a powerful and  comprehensive statement about who Jesus is! He is God himself!  Let's consider some of the combinations used with "Lord."

​Lord comes from the Greek kyrios which means "owner, one who is in charge by virtue of possession", then anyone in a position of authority, lord master.  So the title Lord Jesus means He is the owner of all, He has all power, He is in charge of all, He has the power to save us from our sins.

Only God can save us from our sins so it tells us of His divinity. Our words cannot do justice even a little to who Jesus is.  There is something heartfelt about this so that it cannot be communicated fully in words, but only in heart talk with our God.  I believe for all eternity we will have "heart talk with Jesus" and those of us who have studied now will be filled with an awesome awareness of what we have studied and unable to put into mere words

Q4. Why is the title "Lord Jesus" such an exalted one. What does it tell us about Jesus' divinity?

In the NT, according to Strong's Concordance, the word "Lord", is used 711 x's in 657 verses.  

But as I read through those verses, I found at least 5 different Greek words translated as "Lord/lord."

'kyrios' can be translated Lord - capital L; lord - lower case l; it can be used as master, sir or Sir. It can mean "he to whom a person or things belong" as in master or lord; It can mean authority, as in the Roman emperor; and it is a title of honor give with great respect and reverence by servants to their master; but best of all it is a title given to GOD the Messiah. (Romans 6:11)

From 'kyrios' comes 'kyrieuo' which is most frequently used in the sense of having dominion such as in Romans 6:9, 7:1 and 2 Corinthians 1:24.

In Mark 10:51, it is the Greek word 'rhabbouni' that is translated "Lord" (KJV).

Though he was a beggar on the outskirts of Jericho, Bartimaeus had been paying attention and even though blind, he recognized Christ as the Messiah, calling out to Him, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me."  

When Jesus asked him what He could do for him, he didn't ask for wealth or fame, he said, "Rabboni (NKJV), that I may receive my sight." And Jesus told him "Go your way; your faith has made you well." (vs 52)

In Luke 2:29; Acts 4:24; 2 Peter 2:1 and Revelation 6:10, 'despotas' is translated "Lord."

In Jude 1:4 as well, but in that verse the word "Lord" is used twice and translated from two different Greek words, "deny the only (despotas) Lord GOD" and "our (kyrios) Lord Jesus Christ."

What comes to mind in the use of "despotas" is the word "despot" which in modern vernacular is defined as 'a ruler who has total power, often using the power in cruel ways'. (Merriam-Webster)

But that was not the meaning in Jude. On the contrary, in his warning to the "sanctified by GOD the Father" he told of "ungodly men" who had crept into their midst and were turning the grace of our GOD into lewdness (offensive, obscene & vulgar) and speaking of the Lord as a "despotas" he spoke of Him as the One Who had absolute authority on the earth, (Revelation 6:10) Who could punish those who harmed His redeemed, those He had bought and paid for!

In James 2:1 it is two Greek words: "My brethren, do not hold the faith of our Lord (kyrios - Lord & Master) Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory (doxa), with partiality."

To speak of the divinity of Jesus Christ is to know that He is more than just a Rabbi, Avenger or Owner of all those He bought and paid for!

In John 12:27-36, Jesus tells those around Him of His impending death and heard Him say, "Now My soul is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father, save Me from this hour? But for this purpose I came to this hour. Father, glorify Your Name."

And a voice from heaven replied: "I have both glorified it and will glorify it again." Some heard only thunder, other heard an angel speak!

John, quoting the OT, he tells us that although Jesus had done so many signs before them, they did not believe in Him which is the fulfillment of what Isaiah had prophesied.

(Isaiah 53:1) "Who has believed our report? And to whom has the arm of the Lord (Yehovah) been revealed?"

And again he quotes Isaiah 6:10, speaking of the glory of the Lord, the glory and the splendor that surrounds Yehovah God that is blinding (Acts 22:11); able to inspire fear (Luke 2:9); but also hope (Titus 2:13), the supernatural power and glory that was seen as a pillar of fire and of cloud (Exodus 14:24) that is IN Christ Jesus the LORD. Colossians 2:8-10

The entire bible speaks to us of His divinity!

According to the notes, the term adoni was used from the pre-Christian era, by the Jews to pronounce the name of God. This was because they were fearful of misusing the name of God, Yahweh (Deuteronomy 6:11). So when the bible was transliterated from Hebrew into Greek, Kyrous was often used when referring to the name of God himself.

• 2 weeks later...

The exalted one Jesus, high and holy God came down to our level to save us because it is impossible for us to go up to his level to save ourselves. We marvel that God, through his Son, Jesus, lived among us in human form to reveal his eternal purposes to us.

In doing so, God was reaching out to us in love. God wants us to reach out to him in return in order to know him and to love him with all our heart. Not only marvel at his power but take time to get to know him more.

Christ is equal to God because he is God. Though God, Christ is God,He became a man in order to fulfill God’s plan of salvation for all people. Christ did not just have the appearance of being a man—he actually became human to identify with our sins. Christ voluntarily laid aside his divine rights and privileges out of love for his Father. Christ died on the cross for our sins so we wouldn’t have to face eternal death.God glorified Christ because of his obedience; (8) God raised Christ to his original position at the Father’s right hand, Him God the Father Son and Holy Spirit are one thus Divinity where he will reign forever as our Lord and Judge.

• 2 years later...

Q4. Why is the title "Lord Jesus" such an exalted one? What does it tell us about Jesus' divinity? 

The title “Lord Jesus” is an exalted one because it means that He is the Master. He is superior to all created beings. He is the Lord of our lives as Christians. It means He is God himself. He is equal with God. He is the one who is in charge and has supreme authority over all things.

It tells us that He is supreme and on equal standing with God. Because he and God are one. He has the same authority as God Himself. All power is given unto Him and all heaven and earth will be under Him or bow down to Him.

It is such an exalted one because of the fact that He is God Himself! He is God incarnate or God in the flesh. That says a lot about Jesus. It states the very fact that Jesus is equal with God and should be exalted in all areas of a person’s life. It tells us that His Divinity was a complete and total thing. There was no area left untouched by it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:27 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. The title of "Lord" to Jesus means, at the very least, "master, superior," but is usually intended to refer to Jesus as divine. The characteristic Christian statement of faith is, "Jesus is Lord" (1 Corinthians 12:3). 

b. The title, "Lord Jesus Christ" contains a powerful and comprehensive statement about who Jesus is! He is God himself! 

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Q4. Why is the title “Lord Jesus” such an exalted one?

ANSWER: The title “Lord Jesus” is such an exalted one because Jesus went to the lowest depths. To exalt means to raise to the highest of heights. To exalt God is to raise God to the highest place in our lives. To give Him first place in every thought in our mind, every word spoken, and every deed done.  It means that ALL authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Jesus (Matthew 28:18b). There is nothing that is outside of Jesus’ authority. The title “lord” is similar to “master.” Thus, when the Scriptures declare that Jesus is Lord, they are saying that He is the Master over absolutely everything in heaven, on earth, and under the earth. There is nothing outside of the rule and authority of Jesus the Christ. Jesus is reigning as Lord over all of creation until the last of His enemies are put under His feet. Then all of creation will affirm with bowed knee that Jesus is Lord to the glory of God the Father (Philippians 2:10-11). There are not many truths, if any, that are more important than this.

What does it tell us about Jesus’ divinity?

ANSWER: There can be no doubt that the terminology that Jesus is Lord in the Bible is used to convey His authority. There can also be no doubt that this authority transcends all human authority because it also boldly declares the divinity of Christ. As the divine, eternal King, Jesus is Lord of all.