JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Jesus' Lordship

• 1 month later...

We don't obey Jesus our Lord immediately and follow His teachings when "Lord" is only a title to us, even a title we heartily agree with mentally, instead of the identity of His Person to us. I often have to pray like the desperate father who brought his demon-possessed son to Jesus after the disciples had unsuccessfully tried to cast the demon out. His plea to Jesus was, “If you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.” When Jesus responded that all things are possible for one who believes, the man cried out “I believe; help my unbelief!” (Mark 9:24) He realized his faith in coming to Jesus had been based on the excitement of emotion and a mental faith based on what others had told him about Jesus. But that wasn't enough, and the man understood he must have his own personal faith of the heart.

We need to ask the Spirit for discernment of our faith. Is it intellectual agreement that has no roots and won't hold up in crisis? Or is it truth and active trust that's planted and rooted deeply in our hearts? That kind of faith is what motivates us to follow Jesus' teachings and obey Him immediately.

Q5. (Luke 9:59-62; 6:46) Is Jesus our Lord if we don’t obey him immediately? Is he our Lord if we don’t follow his teachings? What areas of your life do you need to surrender to his Lordship?

Jesus is our Lord even when we do not obey Him immediately. The Father's purpose in sending Jesus to the cross was for the redemption of mankind.  Man has a sin nature and does not always do right. So there are times when we do not act immediately when God speak to us. When we come to an understanding of who Jesus is and the teachings of Christ is made known to us, if we deliberately chose not to follow His teachings then we remove our self from under His Lordship; no longer one of His sheep.  Jesus said, ""Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?" (Luke 6:46). 

Lord, in areas of my life, where I do not obey immediately and surrender to your teachings; please bring it to my awareness so that I may repent.  Thank you Lord!

Q5. (Luke:9:59-62, 6:46) Is Jesus our Lord if we don't obey him immediately?

​He is Savior to many who have said "yes" to His invitation to salvation and eternal life. But is Lord only to those who have surrendered the will to His Lordship. 

Is he our Lord if we don't follow his teachings?

​Scripture exhorts us to lay down our will and to walk according to the Spirit, rather than to continue to walk in the flesh. I think there is a progression as we grow in

​Him, as we learn to trust and to love Him. Each surrender can feel like a death...which of course it is, so a battle ensues: My will or His will?

​Patterson in his book "Why is it taking me so long to get better?" describes this process as like in war time when the U.S. Marines would begin to lay siege to a captive island,  would wire back to the ship "The island is secure", where in fact they had only secured a toe hold on the beach, but were confident in their ability to take the entire island in time,"  Likewise, our salvation is secure when we say "Yes!", but there is a whole lot of territory yet to be surrendered to the Lordship of Christ, and many "bloody" battles before we yield completely to Him.

What areas of your life do you need to surrender to his lordship?

l​ still struggle with the issue of timing....a 38 year wait for one promise, which involves the will of another individual who is as stubborn as is possible to be. Every day is like walking with gravel in my shoes, so I must surrender to His timing and ask for His help to be patient and kind and loving for as long as it takes! The promise He gave me sounded like it would be a quick work, back in the day...but He works IN ME, as I wait and walk out each difficult day.

No, we're not acting in a way that shows He has Lordship in our lives.

Absolutely not!!

We need to pray each day to obey swiftly, confess & repent from sins, stay in His Word.  He'll reveal those places we need to be aware of in order to truly make Him our Lord.

If Jesus is our Lord we are to obey Him immediately, there should be no thought about it. If we don't obey Him, He is not our Lord. I fall short in some areas of my life and I take it Jesus because He is the only one that can make me strong physically and mentally.

(Luke 9:59-62; 6:46) Is Jesus our Lord if we don’t obey him immediately? Is he our Lord if we don’t follow his teachings? What areas of your life do you need to surrender to his Lordship?          

No, Jesus is not our Lord if we don't obey him and follow his teachings.  Jesus wants total dedication, not what we pick and chose to follow.  Sometimes I allow my busy life to overtake following him.  I try to work my schedule around my church activities, but sometimes there is a conflict and I choose my schedule over the church events.  I need to improve on that.

Q5. (Luke 9:59-62; 6:46) Is Jesus our Lord if we don’t obey him immediately?

Yes, I do think He is still our Lord even if we do not obey Him immediately.

Is he our Lord if we don’t follow his teachings?

No. Definitely not. Our aim is to become more like Jesus and how can we do that if we do not follow what He has taught us?

What areas of your life do you need to surrender to his Lordship? 

My will, everything else is His.         

Q5. (Luke 9:59-62; 6:46) 

Is Jesus our Lord if we don't obey Him immediately? 

Is He our Lord if we don't follow His teachings? 

What areas of your life do you need to surrender to His Lordship?

I think of what Jesus said in John 14:15: "If you love me, you will obey what I command”.

One of the ways we can express our love to our Lord is by obeying His commands. 

These are the instructions given us in the Gospels, as well as the rest of the NT.

By not obeying or following His teachings we are alienating ourselves from Him and displaying an attitude of rebellion and disobedience. 

I try to surrender all to my Saviour; as well as acknowledging Him in everything I do.

It is difficult and one stumbles every now and then. 

Q5. (Luke 9:59-62; 6:46)

Q. Is Jesus our Lord if we don't obey him immediately?

A.  No.

Q. Is he our Lord if we don't follow his teachings?

A. No

Q. What areas of your life do you need to surrender to his Lordship?

A. Area of total and prompt obedience

Q5. (Luke 9:59-62; 6:46) Is Jesus our Lord if we don't obey him immediately? Is he our Lord if we don't follow his teachings? What areas of your life do you need to surrender to his Lordship?

My Answer: When I think of what my reaction would be to a command from an earthly king (lord), I am ashamed to admit that I don't always treat Jesus as the King (Lord) of my life. Because of His mercy and grace, He is my Lord even when I ignore Him or disobey Him. That is sin and He has already cleansed me of my past, present and future sins. I am constantly in need of surrendering my worries about the future to his Lordship. He walks with me and comforts me when I come to my senses and seek His guidance, His peace, His will.

Q5. (Luke 9:59-62; 6:46) Is Jesus our Lord if we don't obey him  immediately? Is he our Lord if we don't follow his teachings?  What areas of your  life do you need to surrender to his Lordship?

1. No! Jesus said to him, 'No one who puts his hand to the plow  and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.'" (Luke 9:59-62)

If Jesus is our Lord, then we shouldn't hesitate to obey immediately.

1. Jesus said: "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?"

(Luke 6:46)  Rather than just mouth the word, we must do what he 

says. He is Lord God of all. He is also the Lord who has absolute authority over us, his disciples.

3. Knowing what to say when helping others by making sure I am  listening to him.

Q5. (Luke 9:59-62; 6:46) Is Jesus our Lord if we don't obey him immediately? Is he our Lord if we don't follow his teachings? What areas of your life do you need to surrender to his Lordship?

First of all, His 'Lordship' isn't dependent on anyone's obedience! He is LORD of all.

In Acts 10 the Apostle Paul uses the word "all" over a dozen times, and in each instance it means exactly what it says: each, every, any, ALL, the whole, everyone, all things (the same all things as in Romans 8:28), everything, and even collectively, some of all types.'

Whether a person is born-again or not, Jesus Christ is still LORD of all. Not being recognized or praised as the LORD of a person's life, doesn't make Him any less LORD of all.

C. S. Lewis once said, “A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.”

And no one can diminish His Lordship by refusing to acknowledge it!

In Matthew 21 we can read the parable that Jesus told of the man with two sons. Keeping in mind that a 'parable' is an illustration of a biblical truth that is portrayed figuratively, we can see what He thought about those who "say" they will obey but don't as opposed to those who at first resist obeying, but in the end, they submit.

For the most part, Jesus was speaking to the chief priests and the elders who were questioning His authority as He had just ridden into Jerusalem on a colt (Zechariah 9:9); had been welcomed by "multitudes" crying, "Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is He Who comes in the Name of the LORD! Hosanna to the Highest!" (Psalms 118:26)

After driving the money changers out of the temple, He healed those who were brought to Him, the lame and the blind; He cursed a fig tree for having leaves but no fruit (was that Israel? Could it be me?) then is confronted by the priests and elders demanding to know "by what authority are You doing these things? And who gave You this authority?" (Matthew 21:23)

He agreed to answer but first they would need to answer a question....(vs 24-27) but they couldn't answer!

Then He begins the parable, and since His previous words were to the priests and the elders, it is obvious that He was still speaking to them, and in reference to them!

Two sons are told to go work in the vineyard. One says he will but doesn't, the other refuses but in a while, regretted his resistance, and went to work.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I am fairly certain that I could be compared to the second son. I suspect most people feel the same.

I didn't want to become a Christian! I remember a boy in about 3rd grade who carried his bible to school every day. Even in the 50's, he was ridiculed and bullied because he called himself a Christian. I did not want to be like him.

I think my entrance into His kingdom was made kicking and screaming.....

Like the second son, I kept saying NO, refusing to bend my knee, but somewhere in my heart something had snagged me, and unlike the fish that I catch and then release, He did not release me!

The Righteous Brother's hit song, "You're My Soul and Inspiration" is lovely, and I remember slow dancing with a boy at a cotillion, but now the LORD is IN my soul and is my Inspiration each day that I live!

No one can say for certain what may happen in the lives of those who initially reject Jesus Christ. While some may eventually recant as I did, some will not.

But it is obvious that Jesus was diagramming with the symbolism of the fig tree and the parable that all of the "religion" of Israel was just an outward show. There was no fruit, no repentance, no true obedience.

Our surrender, my surrender is an everyday work that must be done. When I chose to submit, to surrender to Him, I gave Him my life, for whatever purpose He chooses.

Each day I wake and make again the commitment to continue submitting and continue in surrender.

I am thankful for His Word as it works in me to do His good pleasure; thankful for the spiritual blessings which are in Christ; thankful that He called me by adoption into His family; thankful that I have been accepted into the beloved of GOD; thankful that I have been redeemed, that my sins are forgiven; that He has given me wisdom, both human and divine; He has given me 'prudence' (defined as knowledge and a holy love of the will of GOD), through which He has shown us the mystery of His will. Ephesians 1:3-9

It is not human nature to be submissive, certainly isn't mine.

And that means we must humble ourselves, I must humble myself so that His will rules and reigns in my life.

That might be easy for some, but it has never been for me. I struggle with it every day.

I was always the one who wanted to be the captain of her own ship!

But now I don't call Him my 'co-pilot', NO, I call Him my Pilot, my Co-Pilot and my Navigator! 

Q5. (Luke 9:59-62; 6:46) Is Jesus our Lord if we don’t obey him immediately? Is he our Lord if we don’t follow his teachings? What areas of your life do you need to surrender to his Lordship?

Yes I agree, with the 'member' from Florida. He is my Lord, because I belong to him, I have been bought at a price (1 Corinthians 6:20). In a one sense, he is not my Lord if I do not obey him. In another sense however, I do not obey without question all the time, because I am a sinner, but he is still my Lord. It is like, in a legal sense, I am married to my wife. However sometimes-although I love her very much, I probably fail her at times and do not treat her as I should. But the fact remains, she is still my wife- I love her and respect her and have never been unfaithful to her. I am still a sinner.

There is a cost to following Jesus, and each of us must be ready to serve, even when it requires sacrifice. We should not delay in following Christ and give excuses. Jesus was saying that true discipleship requires instant action. Jesus did not teach people to forsake responsibilities to family, but he often gave commands to people in light of their real motives.

What does Jesus want from us? Total dedication, not halfhearted commitment. We can’t pick and choose among Jesus’ ideas and follow him selectively; we have to accept the cross along with the crown, judgment as well as mercy. We must count the cost and be willing to abandon everything else that has given us security. With our focus on Jesus, we should allow nothing to distract us from the manner of living that he calls good and true.
I surrender my whole self, my family, my extended family my job, I just give myself to Him to rule my life.

• 2 years later...

I have to say that in all truth Jesus is not our Lord if we do not obey Him immediately.  And He is not our Lord if we do not follow His teachings. He is only Lord in name and not in our hearts. We have not fully given Him every part of us.

I need to surrender my finances to Him and trust Him to help me get rid of my debt. I need to give over my time to Him and use it more wisely than I have been. I need to give over my past hurts and grievances and put them behind me. I need to release my fears and doubts about my future and trust Him more.

I would say because we must be willig to do what He says no matter what the cost is. No because then we are making a mockery out of Him and the cross. My food addiction and shopping addiction I am constantly submitting to it since they are constant struggle for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:28 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q5. (Luke 9:59-62; 6:46) Is Jesus our Lord if we don’t obey him immediately? He is my Lord because I believe in him. We can't always obey everything he asks but that doesn't mean we love him any less.  

Is he our Lord if we don’t follow his teachings? If you don't follow any of his teachings, maybe he's not your Lord and savior. 

What areas of your life do you need to surrender to his Lordship?  I need to surrender my fear of entering the Kingdom of God. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:28 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.  Jesus is Lord over all.  He may not be Lord in us if we don't obey immediately, but He loves us, is patient and kind and is working in us. Being human we are drawn to things of this world and self but we are to renew our minds with the Word of God, spend more time in His presence hearing from Him and what He wants for us to do, being led by His Spirit in us.

b.  We need to know the Word, believe it, trust Him and follow His teachings and leadings.

c.  Surrender and really believe and trust in what He accomplished at Calvary included wholeness for my body also.

• 2 years later...

Why don't we obey immediately? Because we're sinful humans, saved and in the process of sanctification. We'll never reach perfection.

He remains my Lord in spite of my relapses into sin. I believe my salvation is secure and not contingent on my behavior or thoughts.

I have many areas in which I need to surrender. I've been praying for several things for many years with no tangible change in circumstance. One of the things I must surrender, then, is  doubt that God will actually answer my prayers. So far, objectively, He has not -- should I continue to hope and pray, or assume that His 'non-answer' is His way of saying "NO." Do I surrender these prayers/desires/hopes or keep praying? Is surrender obedience or is it a sign of spiritual weakness and impatience?

• 7 months later...

Q5. (Luke 9:59-62; 6:46) Is Jesus our Lord if we don’t obey Him immediately?

ANSWER: YES, if we don’t obey Jesus immediately, He is still our Lord. God wants us to obey His commands fully. We can’t pick and choose, making one lists of the instructions we’ll follow and another of those we won’t. Partial obedience is disobedience. He expects us to obey His commands right away, and He expects us to obey them fully. Obeying Him immediately will keep our heart tender so that we'll always be able to hear Him. He simply wants to protect us and to provide for us because He loves us.

Psalm 119:60 says, “I will hasten and not delay to obey your commands.” (NIV)

a). Immediate obedience NEVER COSTS. It ALWAYS PAYS.

b). Immediate obedience to the leading of the Holy Spirit is a sign of    

spiritual maturity.

c). Immediate obedience in order to avoid pending judgment. 

d). Immediate obedience is the key to supernatural protection and

provision for us, our families and our Nation. 

If we love God, we will obey Him. We won’t be perfect in our obedience, but our desire is to submit to the Lord and display good works. When we love God and obey Him, we naturally have love for one another. Obedience to God’s commands will make us light and salt in a dark and tasteless world (see Matthew 5:13-16).

Obedience is NOT an option because…:

1. it is at the very foundation of the Christian life
  2. It is the true test of professing Christ (6:46)
  3. it is the foundation that will withstand the tests of time and eternity (6:47-48)
  4. those who do not obey Christ face sudden and final destruction (6:49)

By obeying in all things, even the mundane, we are showing God that we are willing and able to obey whatever He asks of us. Obedience to God is not only a way to worship Him, but a way to get closer to Him, prepare for whatever He leads us to and grow as a person. What we can do to make sure that our house is built on the rock of obedience to Christ.

• First, you must come to Jesus. This implies a personal, one-to-one relationship between Jesus and you.
  • Second, you must hear Jesus’ words. This implies growing in your knowledge and understanding of His teaching as revealed in the Bible.
  • Third, Jesus says that you must act upon His words. This implies soul-searching obedience, down to our very thoughts, motives, and attitudes. It means continually examining ourselves in light of Scripture.

Is He our Lord if we don’t follow His teachings?

ANSWER: NO you can’t be a Christian and not follow Jesus’ teachings. It’s impossible. It’s like saying you are a believer who doesn’t believe. It is important to follow the teachings of Jesus. Jesus said a true follower of His is one who holds to His teachings. Within Jesus Christ's teachings we find the plan for our happiness, our redemption, and our salvation, a divine blueprint that includes faith in Christ, repentance, baptism, keeping God's commandments, receiving the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.

What areas of your life do you need to surrender to His Lordship?

ANSWER: Surrendering to God is showing complete faith in Him and belief in His promises. I must surrender everything. Surrender is literally giving up all  control. Surrendering control is a daily, moment-by-moment choice. Like every discipline in life, I must learn to surrender and give it to God. The enemy seeks every new day to cloud our mind with worries, doubts, and fears. The devil wants there to be no room left for God in our lives. Surrendering to God becomes a lifestyle of daily giving it all to Him. In order to maintain continual abiding fellowship with the Lord, I need to yield my independence and acknowledge His Lordship over these three areas of my life.

My undefined Soul (I am). Self awareness “the internal me”

My undefined Body (I do). World awareness “the external me”

My undefined Possessions (I have). What I own “Security”