JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Being 'Conscious of God'

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (2:18-20) How does being an employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace? Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer? Why or why not? How do you usually react to prolonged, unfair treatment at your work?

I don't believe a Christian can be a complainer. If we look at our Example "Jesus", He did nothing. He could've, but He didn't, and He brought honor to God. Because they knew that because of how He acted, they had crucified an innocent man. If He can submit and endure all that for me....then I can certainly endure willingly anything the world can dish out. I am proud to be called His. And if I was being a jerk I wouldn't want the world to know I was a Christian. It is denying Him and I won't do that. I pray I won't ever do that anyway.

How do I react to unfair treatment at work? First of all, I pray for certain individuals and situations and I pray for myself. I try to remember that ALL things work for the good for those who love God. So, no matter what is going on, I can endure it. I trust my God and I know my life is in His hands. He loves me and will protect me if it gets too bad.

Love y'all,

Patsy in Idaho

I believe "reaction" is out of place and likely to be detrimental to the situation. We need to take carefully considered, prayerful action in defence of the victim of injustice.

It is possible for a conscientious Christian to stand with a victim against injustice. :angry: Be angry, and do not sin.

If the injustice is against me and I think I can deliver the boss a more advantageous scenario, I will. Otherwise I remain quiet or get another job. <_<

If the injustice is against another employee and I think it necessary, I'll go in to bat for them, and if necessary take it to a higher level, negotiating a better outcome all around. :D

Q3. (2:18-20) How does being an employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace? Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer? Why or why not? How do you usually react to prolonged, unfair treatment at your work?

I think being an employee conscious of God allows us to see injustice and pray over it. We are to be aware of it but not participate in it as Matthew 10:16 tells us to be shrewd as snakes and innocent as doves. I don't think a Christian should be a complainer, however I do think a Chirstian can complain, at times, if after prayer the person feels moved by the Spirit to make a complaint. If an injustice is taking place and a complaint to the party being unjust or to a superior will result in that action being brought to light or discontinued, then I think the complaint is warranted. I have not seen prolonged, unfair treatment where I work for which I am greatly thankful.

We have to consider the extent of the injustice and decide whether our action or inaction would be most effective. Certainly, Christians have "complained" about injustice and have been effective in bringing about change. Wilberforce complained and slavery was outlawed in England. Christ was certainly confrontational on occasion. Martin Luther King, Jr. brought the concerns of African-Americans to the attention of the rest of the country and produced signifcant change.

I believe the Bible gives us excellent conflict negotiation models. If there is a conflict or injustice I think it is in the book of Matthew, we are told to go one on one with the person you believe has caused the injustice, if that doesn't work bring another individual with you to help solve the problem, then if both of those attempts fail bring it to the whole church. This model has worked for me at home and at work. I am also thankful that my workplace/coworkers are rarely confrontational or unjust.

I am amazed at all of the other answers and realize I have so much to learn. I have been a Christian for many years, but still need to grow, and with His help I pray I will.

God Bless!

The God conscious employee does the job the job he/she was hired to do, and give the best effort. As long as we are employed we owe it to our employer, ourselves and our God to do the best work we are capable of. This can be a real test of our faith when confronted with injustice, profanity, sexual inuendo and etc.. This is also true in the world outside of the work place. Our job is to present ourselves as as a true Christian and imitate the way we believe Jesus would handle the work place. God is glorified by us when we are wronged for no reason, and we resist the temptation to lash out in anger. This also means not gossiping about others, and constantly complaining about our jobs and the jobs of others. Besides making it impossible for us to do our best work, we detract from Gods glory by acting petty, and jealous at work.

I have a tendancy to holler when someone steps on my foot. I must learn to do a much better job of remembering that I am just passing through, and ask God to still my heart, and leave it to Him to be the judge! Praying to God for guidence and leaving myself open so the Holy Spirit can move through me will be my response to injustice at work. If I can only learn...

When we see injustice it is our right to address it and try and do what we can to change the situation. As a Christian I cannot be a complainer. I can state my views but a complaining spirit goes against a God-centered life (Numbers 11:1; 14:27; Phil 2:14-15).

If I knew the situation was not going to change and I had done everything I could to make it better then I found another job. I do not believe that God wants for us to continue to work in an abusive situation.

When injustice is done to others, we need to stand by their side--not in complaining, but if possible bringing it to the attention of those in authority in a way to help produce a solution--that will ultimately help the them bring about a better result for all concerned. When it is unjust action against ourselves, we should not complain nor react negatively. We have a tendency to feel abused when others treat us unkindly, but often we are overreacting to something that was not intended to be unkind. It was only thoughtlessness. We need to pray for the perpetrator and ask for guidance from the Lord--as we should in any circumstance.

Only once was I in that situation. Brought before the supervisor, I stated my case calmly and refused to react to the negative, untrue retorts of the accuser.

We must not be "whiners" because that is non-productive, and reflects negatively on our Lord. But, if there is a God-sanctioned way to bring about a better world, such as dcalbreath mentioned, we pray for guidance and speak up.

When there is obvious injustice in the workplace, a Christian should take a stand and discuss the matter with the supervisor, but only after much prayer and thought as to how to approach the situation. We need to exhibit a forgiving spirit, but also gently point out that the injustice needs to be worked out; and, if possible, offer a solution.

We should never react in a hostile manner, because that can only lead to more hostility on both sides.

A conscientious Christian should not be a "complainer" in the sense of constantly running down the job situation; but if a time comes when we do need to make our feelings known about any injustice at the workplace, we should not hesitate.

It's been some time since I have been in the workplace, but I would certainly pray about the unfair treatment. If it happened to me, I would ask to discuss it with the one responsible to see exactly why this was happening; and if it should continue, then I would probably look for another job. If it happened to one of my co-workers, I would let them know I was praying for their situation (and ask if they would like for me to pray with them) and offer to do anything that I could that might be of help.

Just keep in mind -- God is well aware of the situation, and He will be pleased with our good example. Who knows? It might even cause someone to realize their need of a loving, personal Saviour in their life! :)

There are two considerations to look at when we consider this question. 1) if the injustice is directed toward us and 2) if the injustice is directed toward others.

In the first place, we are admonished to bear the injustice and commit our cause to God. Romans 12:19 "Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but [rather] give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance [is] mine; I will repay, saith the Lord." If we are to avenge ourselves we hinder God from working in our situation. Instead we are instructed not to resist evil Matthew 5:39 "But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." and to pray for and forgive those who do us dirt. In so doing we release the hand of God. As others see your comportment under provocation they will soon realize that you are not fighting back, but that they are fighting against God, who is froward toward those who are froward. It's not about winning here, it's about the souls of men. Our submission to God in this is to them an evident token of their perdition and will serve to bring glory to God.

If the injustice is directed toward others it is important that we remain steadfast in righteousness and not be carried away with the mob. There may be consequences for us in standing resolutely for the right which we should be prepared to bear. We can't be running into every conflict and addressing every injustice, but whatever comes within the sphere of our mandate, we cannot turn a blind eye.

The phrasing of the question lends itself to a negative slant, sort of like saying is it OK for a Christian to be a whiner? Obviously not. The habitual complainer is unhappy about a lot more than just his job and the injustices he perceives. Phil. 4:11-13 , 19 tells us that our contentment and source of wellbeing is not what we possess or our circumstances, its Jesus. We should ask God why we are unhappy and repent, allowing HIm to meet our needs. Psalm 42:5 Perhaps we should realize that nothing comes into our lives but that God will use it for the good of those who are the called according to His purpose. Really, we're kind of missionaries at our jobs and need to act the part. We don't have to be door-mats, situations can be addressed with a soft answer and in wisdom which God gives to those who ask.

The question how I personally react to prolonged unfair treatment at work. I am slowly learning to cast my cares upon Him, not to fight back vindicating myself or defending myself. I am learning that whatever is happening to me at this time serves only to benefit and strengthen me even though the trial may be grievious. I am also learning that I'm not the only one. It seems that God has each one of us exactly where He wants us for a reason. We are in the crucible and He is working the image of Jesus in us. As the heat turns up the dross bubbles to the top. I realize that I can't jump ship when the waters get rough, He's there with me and the joy I receive when I get to the other side more than compensates for the grief endured.

Christians have to always be conscious of God. If we are, this will affect the way we act in every area of our lives. We frown upon injustice in the workplace but we want our behavior based on those standards set forth by God. We have to submit not only to those bosses that are good but those that are harsh. We are to submit as long as it does not conflict with what pleases God.

Complaining does not please God. I have learned that complaining does not help the situation and sometime makes it worse.

Even in the midst of prolonged unfair treatment we have to follow the example of Christ and stand up for what is right. We might have to stand alone but God will work it out for good. Ask yourself, what would Jesus do?

We have to live the life of Christ and in doing so, other will see our good works and follow the example set forth by us. Always be careful how we walk before our unsaved neighbors.

How does being and employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the work place?Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer? Why or why not? How do you usually react to prolonged, unfair treatment at your work?

We should not look the other way or bury our heads in the sand, but each incident needs to be weighed and prayed before actions. Many times what seems to be an injustice, turns out to be a co workers 'version' of what took place. Get all the facts, seek God, then act. Shouldn't be a "complainer", but should tell the truth, I mean be open and honest. To be a whiney, complainer is not bringing glory to God. Do your job or move on.

Find a job you like and will and can do well. Your work is a testimony. I have prayed about; it I have endured it; I have grown spiritually, God has used situations to cause me to be stronger, more patient; more compassionate.....ultimately I started my own business so I could do things in a Christ like fashion. That was 25 years ago. Thank you, Jesus!!

If I saw injustice in my work place, I hope I would be willing to stick my neck out and try to get the injustice corrected. God wants fairness in all situations. However, we are to be submissive to those in authority.

2. I don't think a sincere Christian will want to complain.

3. Because we are so full of gratitude for all God has done for us and is still doing for us.

4. If I was being treated unfairly, I would pray about the situation. I would hope that God would bring about change in me or change in the situation.

I am currently experiencing some such injustice. My boss predetermined before hand, that in order to meet an overall yearly performance rating quota, he gave me a bad rating unsubstantiated my actual performance last year. His rationale was my company yearly results were less than acceptable and some were selected to receive this rating in order to save money on bonuses.

As a christian, I did not complain. However I did determine the proper manner to start a dialogue to discuss this injustice. I spoke to my boss's boss, to no avail but at least I got some of the truth on the table.

I prayed over this situation and this point God is telling me to stay and work your hardest to prove my boss and others weong concerning their assessment of me. After 17 years working for this company, it is difficult to accept this rating and not feel like a failure as a employee and by extension that I failed God.

Any thoughts on this situation?

How does being an employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace? Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer? Why or why not? How do you usually react to prolonged, unfair treatment at your work?

If we react to injustice at the workplace it should 1) never damage our Christian witness, 2) be an act of genuine love and/or concern, 3) not be self-seeking, and 4) always done with the utmost respect for those in authority.

We should not be "complainers", constanstantly seen as negative to the plans and objectives of the department. if that is the case, we need to look very carefully at our lives, and the current position we serve in. it could be time to move on to another position or place of employment, or could be time for some "house cleaning: of the soul. God wants us to be salt and light, not spoiled milk and dreariness.

I try to speak up in the face of the treatment, but always out of respect. if it does not go anywhere it may again be time to move on to another place of employment. I am cogniscent of my Christian witness and do all I can to protect the integrity of it. yes, sometimes I have gone to seek forgiveness when I have blown it, but that provides another opportunity to show th Christlike life, and the grace and forgiveness of our Lord to those around us...another opportunity to be submissive and obedient to those God has placed over us.

Being conscious of God keeps me from reacting wrongfully to injustice. It causes me to pray about the situation and then act accordingly. I cannot be a complainer because I stand for Christ. My co-workers know that I'm a christian and I need to be a living example of that.

If we have conscience toward God and endure grief the suffering is wrong. For if we are buffeted for our faults we should take it patiently. But if we do well in our workplace and still suffer because we do well, we should also take it patiently because this is what God wants.

But I will be the first to admit that it is hard and hurtful when as an employee have to endure and suffer cruel treatment when doing a good job in the workplace. Alot of times it is fear that causes employers to treat employees badly. There's been many times that a project was developed but I seen where it could be improved to greatly help the company and I would submit my suggestions (as we were told to do) but after the submission life in the workplace was very difficult but the funny thing about it was the suggestions were used but the credit went to the one who developed the project. That was fine because I knew that God knew who and where the ideas came from. That was all the credit and recognition that I needed.

Jesus Himself said to turn the other cheek. That is as far as your physical realm is concerned. Injustice is always present in our workplaces. As Christian workers we are supposed to face everything as Christ would like us to do. It is an indirect way of testimony. Christian way of life in everyday circumstances definitely affects people the positive way.

Our Master Himself suffered for the unjust. When that kind of supreme sacrifice is before us, how can we dare to complain of petty cirumstances in our daily life.

Prolonged unfair treatment affects the mind and turns us aggressive and desperate. But if we think of

Christ constantly and His unfair death on the cross, perhaps the present treatment meted to us will pale before that. But we are humans and it is difficult not to react in some way to prolonged mistreatment. :angry:

:D We must try to be a pleasant worker with a posive attitude. compassionate to others and an encourager and deligent as well. We can not be a complainer in such situations because that would involve third person or persons( gossip). But in unavoidable circumstances, a one to one, unemotional, level headed, to the point interaction with the perpetuator of the injustice, can in some cases might yield good results. However we must ask for the holy spirit guidance to be able to carry that converstion with descretion avoiding any accusations.

In difficult circumstances we must try to move out of that that particular postion or situation. :o

How does being an employee "conscious of God" affect the way we act and react to injustice in the workplace? Can a conscientious Christian be a complainer? Why or why not? How do you usually react to prolonged, unfair treatment at your work?

As Christians we are to act like christians wherever we are. The workplace is no different than anywhere else. Biblical principles apply at work and we must always be mindful of who we are and our testimony before the world. We are not to be "complainers", but we are to have wisdom as to what to do in different situations. There is no pat answer to apply to all problems but we are always to ask of God for His wisdom for such matters. How we discuss matters with the employer is important as we can hurt many by the consequences.

I deal with prolonged unfair treatment by first giving myself to prayer about the matter. If required, by discussing the problem with the employer without a lot of finger pointing or as little condemning as possible. If God has given me a solution, I offer that as a suggestion.

I will give a life experience to this question.>I myself worked in a Production Plant."Every thing goes if you know what I mean.I lived there for 8 to 10 hours a day and overtime on Saturdays.It was a lot of pressure to get things done.My manager was harsh,but I had to respect him for the position he held.

Getting people moving,wasent easy.If I sounded off,raising my voice to an employee"I was in the wrong.I still had to get the job done,be the peace maker,iron out the problems and get the production line going.I had to pray a lot to keep my cool.I am a Christian and I had to show people respect before thet would respect me.I put up with a lot of unfair treatment,but I had to be the one to react in a Godly manner."Let my light shine".With a lot of prayer during the day and treating people with love and kindness,I would get through my day.At time I would even get the chance to witness to a few unsaved employees.God would open that door for me.I would even slip a scripture into an envelope and send it to the "Big Boss",the top man.

Somedays I would go to my car on my break,cry a little ,pray a little.When I would open my Bible,believe it or not God would give me a word,build me up.I would go back inside refreshed,and go on with what I needed to do.When my day was finished I know I could leave with peace knowing I did the best I could in treating people in a right manner. "Can Christians be a complainer,Yes they can,but it doesent get you any futher complaining about everything.I learned not to complain,and just took my problems to God.It worked better for me in the long run.Amen

By being conscious of God in my workplace, I think it makes it easier to act or react to injustice .

I think because of my relationship to God the question often arises what would Jesus do if he were here. In my class room we always began the day with the Lord's Prayer (It was a public school that I taught in and the idea was never questioned.) If I felt someone was being treated unfairly I tried to see both sides of the problem before making a judgment. Complaining doesn't always bring results. I think you have to know your facts before trying to state a case. In my 35 years of being in the classroom I never really had to suffer or react to prolonged unfair treatment. Putting myself in someone else's shoes often helped me understand the problem better. Support and concern for the individual is important. Just knowing that we are there is a big lift for our neighbour. Remember Jesus had to stand up to riducile and harsh treatment, but never did he let His love for us waver. We have to try and pass that love on to those who receive injustice in our communities as well.