JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Lamb of God

• 2 months later...

Q2 (John 1:29) Why is Jesus referred to as the Lamb of God?

The Hebrews and all believers in God prior to Mt. Sinai, lived under Grace. When Moses had come down from the mountain to report to the people what God had told him regarding the covenant God was calling them to, they pridefully responded "All that the Lord has spoken we are well able to do"  (Ex 19:8) When Moses reported their words to God, the Law was instituted to show "mankind" that we are fallen and are not able to be holy in our own strength of will or "want to". The law required that blood was to be shed to atone for the sin of each individual in order to restore fellowship with God, which was a temporary "fix" until the next transgression of the law occurred and another lamb's blood was required on the altar.

In the fullness of time, Jesus, God's only Son, came as had been prophesied from the beginning in Gen.3:15, to shed His Holy sinless blood for the sin of all mankind....for as many as will say "Yes!" to His gracious gift of forgiveness for all sin, past, present and future, and to eternal life with Him. He became once and for all time, the Sacrificial Lamb, so that no other sacrifice need ever be offered.  He declared "It Is Finished!!!" before He gave up His spirit on the Cross. 

​We are free in Him and because of His sacrifice there is no need to perform or "work" for our salvation, or to "keep it" nor to try to "earn" favor with God....We are now His beloved children. As the worship song says" His blood ran red, my sins washed white, HE DID IT ALL FOR US!

To what degree does he take away our sins?

​To the "enth" degree. He "will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea" and remember them no more. (Micah 7:19) He has the ability to not only forgive our sins but to forget them as well. Corrie Ten Boom said about the Micah verse, and He places a "NO FISHING" sign there.

How does he come to represent you - as your sacrifice for sin?

​He came to me by His Holy Spirit, chasing me down, and wooing me with His love, and offered me His lovely, unspeakably amazing gift, and I said "Yes!" to Him. My baptism was symbolic of dying with Him and coming up out of the water, of being forgiven, washed spotlessly clean, and raised to Eternal Life to live forever in fellowship with Him both now, and eternally. Now when "the accuser of the brethren" points his "finger of accusation" against me, he is forced to look at the perfect lamb slain for my sins, rather than at my imperfection.

​I love this poem! How I praise Him! This is just how He came to me:

FANFARE

Quietly
He called me
Humanly speaking
it was no extravaganza;
earth scarcely noticed
yet I've been told
that beyond the galaxies
a fanfare broke out
when I said 'Yes' to Him
and took His Name.

"...there is joy in the presence of the

​angels of God over one sinner that

​repents." Luke 15:10

-Nancy Spiegelberg- c1970

Q2. (John 1:29) Why is Jesus referred to as the Lamb of God? To what degree does he take away our sins? How does he come to represent you -- as your sacrifice for sin?

Animal sacrifice was the way God accepted payment for  sin until the final Lamb came, holy and sinless, once and for all, Jesus the Lamb of God paid the price for us through His death on the cross.  He was sent by God and His work on the cross was enough to pay the price for every sin in the world.  "His work was so complete, they'll never be remembered more I worship at His feet."  As I put my faith in Him, acknowledge Him as my Lord and Savior His substitutionary  death on the cross for my sins is accepted by the Father.  Jesus takes my sin and gives me His righteousness.  "Amazing love how can it be that thou my God shouldst die for me."

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q2. (John 1:29) Why is Jesus referred to as the Lamb of God?

My Answer: He is God's perfect atoning sacrifice, a perfect Lamb.

My Answer: He takes away ALL our sins.

How does he come to represent you -- as your sacrifice for sin?

My Answer: He intercedes for me with the Father. His atoning blood covers my sin so that God the Father does not even see my sin. I am cleansed by His blood and made worthy to live in God's presence.

Q2. (John 1:29)

Q. Why is Jesus referred to as the Lamb of God?

A. Because He is the One that was sacrificed on the cross for remission of our sin

Q. To what degree does he take away our sins?

A. He washed away our sin totally.

Q. How does he come to represent you -- as your sacrifice for sin?

A. He died for my sin and I do not have to make animal sacrifice for my sin

Why is Jesus referred to as the Lamb of God? To what degree does he take away our sins? How does he come to represent you – as your sacrifice for sin? 

Jesus is referred to as the Lamb of God because He was sacrificed his life for us to take away the sins of the world.  Lambs was used for sacrifices to obtain forgiveness for sin.  

He is the only one, Holy and Righteous Son of God, that is perfect and great enough to actually atone for sin and, at the same time, represent and substitute for all in this atonement

The Lamb of God represents me, as my sacrifice for sin, because he died for my sins and now sits on the right hand of the Father interceding on my behalf.

Q2. (John 1:29) Why is Jesus referred to as the Lamb of God? To what degree does he take away our sins? How does he come to represent you – as your sacrifice for sin?

Jesus is referred to as the Lamb of God because He alone is the perfect Sacrifice, holy and righteous, "a lamb without blemish or defect" suitable to die for the sin of the world.

Jesus takes away our sins completely. He represents me as redeemer who sacrificially died to take away my sins and reconciled be back to God.  Thank you Jesus!.

Jesus was the sacrifice made for our sins.

He took our sins away once and for all forever.

He represented me when He died on the cross and paid the price for my many sins.  I accepted His gift of salvation and want to live for Him.

Q2. (John 1:29) 

Why is Jesus referred to as the Lamb of God? 

To what degree does He take away our sins? 

How does He come to represent you - as your sacrifice for sin?

The lamb was a sacrificial animal among the Jews, and God had taught them to slay a lamb and to sprinkle its blood as a sacrifice. 

The lamb was killed as a substitute and its blood shed so that sins might be forgiven. 

However, the blood of the lambs slain during the OT period did not put away sin. 

God was pointing towards our Lord Jesus, the Lamb of God, who would actually take away sin. 

Jesus would take away all our sins – past, present, and future.

The death of Christ was great enough in value to pay for the sins of the whole world, but only those sinners who receive the Lord Jesus as Saviour are forgiven.

As a sinner saved by grace I responded in faith and repentance knowing that in being regenerated by the Holy Spirit all my sins have been forgiven. 

Q2. (John 1:29) Why is Jesus referred to as the Lamb of God? To what degree does he take away our sins? How does he come to represent you – as your sacrifice for sin?

Jesus is referred to as the Lamb of God because Jesus is the Holy and Righteous Son of God, the Only One who was perfect enough to actually atone for sin. God through his love for mankind provided his only Son to reconcile us back to the Father.

The degree that Jesus takes away our sins is once and for all.

Jesus comes to represent me by being the atoning sacrifice for my sins. He has redeemed me and paid with his life and thus ransomed me from eternal banishment from God.   

He is without sin. A newly born lamb is without blemish. Christ was born without blemish and took on our sins. He is the only one who could take away our sins. Christ took away our sins once for all. He is my Lord and Savior. He died for a poor sinner like myself. I use to say when I first got saved, Christ looked down over 2,000 years ago and saw a poor sinner like me and knew I was going to need Him to die for me.

Q2. (John 1:29) Why is Jesus referred to as the Lamb of God?

To what degree does he take away our sins? How does he come 

to represent you -- as your sacrifice for sin?

1. Closely related to the theme of Christ's righteousness and

holiness is Jesus, the perfect Sacrifice, Jesus the Lamb of 

God, "a lamb without blemish or defect" (1 Peter 1:19).

John the Baptist indicates that Jesus is the Lamb of God in 

some sacrificial sense, since lambs were commonly used by the

Jews for sacrifices to obtain forgiveness for sin.

2. If anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our 

defense -- Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for
our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world."

(1 John 2:1-2)

3. "On that day a fountain will be opened to the house of David and the

inhabitants of Jerusalem, to cleanse them from sin and impurity." 

Why is Jesus referred to as the Lamb of God? 

The lamb was the item that was sacrificed, therefore this is indicative that Jesus was the Lamb that God was going to use to pay for our sins. 

To what degree does He take away our sins? 

He takes our sin away completely when we come to Him. There are no terms and conditions. The gift is free and available to all.

How does He come to represent you - as your sacrifice for sin?

Jesus was sacrificed for the sin of the whole world till the end. He came to open the door forever, for those who want to be with Him.

The perfect spotless Lamb who saved me and all believers,

fully, on the cross was and is the very Son of God. That He

should come into our world, live and die as a human being to

save us is so amazing. The salvation which He won for us is

not confined to this earth but is proclaimed throughout the

heavens to the powers that rule in the heavenly places.

The lamb was a sacrificial animal among the Jews, and God had taught them to slay a lamb and to sprinkle its blood as a sacrifice. 
The lamb was killed as a substitute and its blood shed so that sins might be forgiven. 
However, the blood of the lambs slain during the OT period did not put away sin. 
God was pointing towards our Lord Jesus, the Lamb of God, who would actually take away sin. 
The death of Christ was great enough in value to pay for the sins of the whole world, but only those sinners who receive the Lord Jesus as Saviour are forgiven.

As a sinner saved by grace I responded in faith and repentance knowing that in being regenerated by the Holy Spirit all my sins have been forgiven

As a sinner saved by grace I responded in faith and repentance knowing that in being regenerated by the Holy Spirit all my sins have been forgiven

Q2. (John 1:29) Why is Jesus referred to as the Lamb of God?

How does he come to represent you -- as your sacrifice for sin?

In Matthew 26:28, Jesus said, "For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins."

Zacharias, at the birth of his son John, was filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesied, "Blessed is the LORD GOD of Israel, For He has visited and redeemed His people,........and you, child, will be called the prophet of the Highest; For you will go before the face of the LORD to prepare His ways, to give knowledge of salvation to His people by the remission of their sins, through the tender mercy of our GOD, with which the Dayspring from on high has visited us"......."So the child (John the Baptist) grew and became strong in spirit and was in the deserts till the day of his manifestation to Israel." (Luke 1:67-80)

The redemption of His people has always been GOD's plan.

From the moment Adam and Eve were driven from the garden of Eden (Genesis 3:24), even as He cursed the serpent (vs 14-15), telling it that He would use the Seed of the woman (note that He did not say 'man and woman'), that is Christ, to bruise it's head, to crush it, to exact His justice upon it, by His mercy and grace He was providing a covering for them, which was the first blood sacrifice (Genesis 3:21).

Until the New Covenant with Christ Jesus as the Perfect Sacrifice (Leviticus 22:21), because there is a penalty for sin, that is death, there were countless sacrificial lambs laid on altars as temporary "fixes" for the sins of the people (Exodus 29:38-39), because "not even the first covenant was dedicated without blood." Hebrews 9:18

We see the first glimpse of "Himself" as the Lamb in a place called 'Moriah' (chosen by Jehovah) (Genesis 22)

In Isaiah 52 beginning in vs 13 and continuing through all of Isaiah 53, the prophet testifies to us of the coming Messiah, the Perfect Lamb, the "lamb without blemish and without spot." 1 Peter 1:17-21

And in Hebrews 9:22, "And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission (of sins)." (Leviticus 17:11)

When I finally agreed with GOD that I was a sinner in need of the Salvation only He could provide, He Who is faithful and just, forgave me of my sins and cleansed me from ALL unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)

My position IN Him is guaranteed by His blood, that very Precious blood that He carried into the Holy of Holies

My walk with Him is clumsy and I know that each day I grieve His Holy Spirit by the things I say and do. But I cast it all at His feet as I walk, keeping my mind set on Him, endeavoring to walk in humility with a repentant heart, not to assure my "continuing" salvation, for that is eternal, but to keep my relationship with Him sweet.

I was my dad's daughter, and nothing I could have ever done would have caused him to disown me. But there were times after some particular "antic", I would have to go to him to apologize so that our "relationship" was restored.

And the same holds true with our relationship with Him.

When we sin, when we do something stupid, thoughtless or unkind, we need to immediately turn to Him with true repentance, seeing what we have done or said, not tinted with the worlds view, but as He sees it, as sin, all the while confident that He is ever before the Father as our Mediator. 1 Timothy 2:5

"But Christ came as High Priest of the good things to come, with the greater and more perfect tabernacle not made with hands, that is, not of this creation. Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption. For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh, how much more shall the blood of Christ, Who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to GOD, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living GOD?" Hebrews 9:11-14 

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (John 1:29) Why is Jesus referred to as the Lamb of God? To what degree does he take away our sins? How does he come to represent you -- as your sacrifice for sin?

During the time of children of Israel, every morning and evening, a lamb was sacrificed in the Temple for the sins of the people in Exodus. Isaiah prophesied that the Messiah, God’s servant, would be led to the slaughter like a lamb. To pay the penalty for sin, a life had to be given—and God chose to provide the sacrifice himself. The sins of the world were removed when Jesus died as the perfect sacrifice. This is the way our sins are forgiven (1 Corinthians 5:7). The “sin of the world” means everyone’s sin, the sin of each individual. Jesus paid the price of your sin by his death. You can receive forgiveness by confessing your sin to him and asking for his forgiveness.

Jesus is referred to as the Lamb of God because, He would become the sacrifice for our sins.

The degree that Jesus takes away are sin is, completely. Animal sacrifices could only cover up one's sin. That's why they to be repeated continually.

Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was once and for all. When we accept Jesus as Savior we are completely forgiven of all our past, present, and future sin.

Jesus came to represent me as my sacrifice for sin when I admitted I was a sinner and accepted His blood sacrifice on the cross for the forgiveness of my sins.

• 2 years later...

He is referred to as the Lamb of God because He is the only one who can truly atone for the world’s sins completely and still wipe the slate clean by rising from the dead to have victory over death. Complete victory over sin. He is my Savior!

Q2. (John 1:29) Why is Jesus referred to as the Lamb of God? To what degree does he take away our sins? How does he come to represent you -- as your sacrifice for sin?

Jesus is referred as the Lamb of God because He is the one who was sacrificed for our sins. He was the only one who was perfect and great enough to pay for the sins of the whole world. Because He was the only Son of God and was sinless and holy.

And he takes away our sins forever and He does not need to do it over and over. When He died on the cross He paid the full price for all humanity.

Jesus died on the cross for my sins that I did in the past, present and future. He is my atonement and ransom. He died once for all and my sins are washed away by His blood.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:30 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (John 1:29) Why is Jesus referred to as the Lamb of God? To what degree does he take away our sins? The Lamb of God is the sacrificial lamb to atone for the sin of man. 

How does he come to represent you – as your sacrifice for sin? I don't know if he represents me in anyway but because I'm the daughter of Man, I have many faults and sins. I would assume if Jesus gave his life for the people, I would be included in that. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:30 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. In the Old Testament, I recall that the Israelites, when they brought animals to sacrifice to the Lord they were to be a lamb with out spot. wrinkle or blemish, not a deformed animal and nothing could be wrong with them.  They had to be perfect or they would not accept them. Jesus is the Lamb of God.  Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: (1 Peter 18-19)

b. Nor did He enter heaven to offer Himself again and again, as the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own. Otherwise, Christ would have had to suffer repeatedly since the foundation of the world. But now He has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of Himself. Just as man is appointed to die once, and after that to face judgment, so also Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many; and He will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who eagerly await Him. (Heb. 9:25-28)  As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. (Ps. 103:12) 

c. For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: (1Peter 3:18)  
I was the unjust, Christ represented me on Calvary. When He died, I died to sin. Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. (1Peter 2:24)