JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. To Seek and Save

• 2 months later...

Q2. How are we disciples to assist in Jesus' mission to seek and to save the lost? What is the love-balance between seeking to save our friends and having to back off because they feel we are trying to pressure them?

ONE CONSISTENT ACTON IS BETTER THAN A MILLION WORDS.  PEOPLE RESPECT AND RESPOND TO WHAT YOU DO, NOT WHAT YOU SAY.

NO PRESSURE NEEDED; people are attracted to a joyful spirit.  When they ask why I am so joyful, they have stepped into my zone, I've got the joy, joy, joy, down in my heart.  Some ask for more, some don't.  Either way, I win.

Q2. How are we disciples to assist in Jesus' mission to seek and to save the lost?

​We are His hands, feet, and voice to share with others. But it's His Spirit Who will save them, and Who will lead us to the lost. We are to be His eyes, "watchful and ready to give a word in due season" as He leads us in our neighborhood, grocery store, family, gym, work, even at church!

What is the love-balance between seeking to save our friends and having to back off because they feel we are trying to pressure them?

I​ learned early on that I can't "save" anyone, this is the Holy Spirit's work. I'm to "listen" to cues from Him as I share....sometimes it's only His Name, another time it's my testimony or scripture which will encourage. I'm aware that sometimes I plant a seed, other times I water by answering questions and so on, and occasionally He uses me to lead someone to salvation, but never to pressure anyone. He's the gentle shepherd Who leads....the false "shepherd" drives and pressures.

It's been said "There are 5 gospels. The first four are seldom read. We are the fifth!"​

Our mission is to go! and share the gospel. We are not responsible for the results--the Holy Spirit is.

We need to live out the gospel in our daily lives, share with others in a loving way so they may desire to have what we have!

As important living out the gospel in our daily lives is, it is not enough.  How can they hear unless someone tells them?

Q2. How are we disciples to assist in Jesus' mission to seek and to save the lost?

We are called to be His hands and feet, to witness to the love of Jesus Christ. Sometimes the Holy Spirit leads us to use words other times we are led to witness through our actions and still other times we are led to live our lives consistently with and for Him, demonstrating to those God has given us the privilege to influence that we walk the talk.

What is the love-balance between seeking to save our friends and having to back off because they feel we are trying to pressure them?

When my actions are motivated by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, I move forward boldly. The results are in God's control, not mine.

Q2. How are we disciples to assist in Jesus’ mission to seek and to save the lost? What is the love-balance between seeking to save our friends and having to back off because they feel we are trying to pressure them?

As disciples we assist in Jesus’ mission to seek and to save the lost by sharing the good news as evangelist.   Because we love our family members and friends we are constrained to share the gospel with them to save them regardless of them wanting us to back off.

How are we disciples to assist in Jesus’ mission to seek and to save the lost? What is the love-balance between seeking to save our friends and having to back off because they feel we are trying to pressure them?        

When we turn our lives over to the Lord, Matt 28:19 tells us to go! We evangelize because the heart of our Savior is to seek and to save the lost.  We must continue seeking to save our friends regardless.  Sometimes we just have to take a different approach.  I have found that my friends and family would hate to see be coming because I was always trying to tell them about Jesus.  I decided to take a different approach and just let the opportunity present itself and casually insert something about the Lord.  But never give up!  God did not give up on me!

Q2. How are we disciples to assist in Jesus’ mission to seek and to save the lost? What is the love-balance between seeking to save our friends and having to back off because they feel we are trying to pressure them?

We have been commissioned to make disciples. It requires work, getting out of our comfort like Jesus did. We plant, we water God causes the seed to grow, so it is not in our place to pressure but to love unconditionally like Christ does.

Q2. 

Q. How are we disciples to assist in Jesus' mission to seek and to save the lost?

A. Jesus gave us the Great Commission to go and preach the Gospel. We thus have the responsibility to preach the Gospel to members of families, neighbourhood, places of our work/ businesses and even to go to the uttermost part of the earth.

We can do so particularly by our conduct among unsaved who would see our light and be drawn to us 

Q. What is the love-balance between seeking to save our friends and having to back off because they feel we are trying to pressure them?

A. I think we should continue to love those we are preaching to without giving up but by praying for them when they resist us. I think we should not actually back off.

In my experience, I get discouraged and back off when there is resistance to what I am preaching. This is rather due to my own selfish ego of feeling rejected.

Q2. How are we disciples to assist in Jesus' mission to seek

and to save the lost? What is the love-balance between seeking 

to save our friends and having to back off because they feel we

are trying to pressure them?

1. We should evangelize and have a heart to seek ways to help the

lost get savedWe should never stop witnessing and evangelizing,

but purpose in our hearts to do better at drawing the unsaved.

Wshould actively seek those in need and offer them rescue.

1. We should be lead by God when we witness and not hover over

anyone. That can draw friends away and bug them. We must be sure

to live the life of Christ.

How are we disciples to assist in Jesus’ mission to seek and to save the lost? What is the love-balance between seeking to save our friends and having to back off because they feel we are trying to pressure them? 

We are to be tools and instruments in His Holy hand. We are to follow His promptings and be obedient to His guidance. I have tried so many times to do this on my own power and have fallen way short everytime. Now I wait on Him.

Once again the holy Spirit should be our guide. We cannot save anyone with our words. That is the job of the Holy Spirit. You can but plant a seed. I your friends or family ask you to please tone it down or to stop talking to them, then respect their wishes and leave them in Gods' hands.

Q2. How are we disciples to assist in Jesus' mission to seek and to save the lost? What is the love-balance between seeking to save our friends and having to back off because they feel we are trying to pressure them?

First by our  lifestyles.  As disciples of Christ we are to live holy and righteous lives by the power of the Holy Spirit.  Second do not quench the Spirit.  Thirdly study to show yourself approved.  Fourth be ready to give an answer in season and out for the hope that is within you.

God Bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Being Christ disciples we are to try and help save the lost. This is our job, because Christ has loved us and saved us, we should always share his love with others.

When we witness to others and they they feel we are pressuring them, we should back off for the time being. We never know when the Holy Spirit will convict them and the Spirit will again direct us to witness to them. 

There are various ways to assist in Jesus' mission to seek and save the lost. Some literally go out to “shake the bushes” in actively seeking people lost in darkness, going to places where the down-and-out are. Some offer ministries that attract those people to come to them with aid services. Some support such endeavors with prayer and finances. Some teach the Word and counsel others. And most important to all of us is to be the most authentic image of Christ we can be in living out ordinary life. As others around us see the good, bad, and ugly of a follower's life, there are opportunities to witness – often with times to tell of Jesus' redemptive grace in our lives, and many times without saying a thing. For them, to experience the love of Christ through the hands and feet of others is also a powerful testimony.  The most critical thing we all can do is to pray for the lost, not just in general, but also specifically and individually.

I question anyone being saved by being brow-beaten with God's Word, because Jesus doesn't redeem people by coercion. He reaches out to us before we know to ask, but we each must come to the moment of realization and acceptance for ourselves. So, as disciples concerned with seeking and saving the lost, we must understand our responsibility. We're to be that salt and light of truth, but we are only called to plant the seeds and nurture them with consistent love and faithfulness to that truth. I vividly recall a testimony from a young woman who came to speak at one of our youth meetings many years ago. She was drawn to Christ and redeemed from a homosexual lifestyle through the ministry of an older couple who began to invite her into their home and show love rather than condemnation in the opportunities they created to become part of her life and tell her the truth. No pressure, just consistent truth spoken with love in maintaining conversation, sometimes gently probing with questions. Sometimes I've had to back off, and mainly pray.  While staying true, we must seek discernment from the Spirit on what to say when, and how to say it. The saving is His work, not ours.

Q2. 

How are we disciples to assist in Jesus' mission to seek and to save the lost? 

Before a person can come to Jesus for salvation they must be aware of the fact that they have sinned (Rom 3:23), that the penalty for their sin is death (Rom 6:23), and that Jesus died to pay the penalty for those sins (Rom 5:8). By making people aware of these three basic facts we can assist our Lord in seeking and saving the lost. So, the Gospel must be heard, and explained. 

However, understanding and agreeing that these facts are true, is not enough for a person to be saved. There must be a response from the person to repent and trust our Lord Jesus Christ for their salvation.

But at least we have made the person aware of their need and they can then respond personally to Jesus’ invitation: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30. 

Then, of course, there is the promise of forgiveness and eternal life: "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16.

When it comes to seeking the correct balance in telling our friends about the Gospel, I feel that I may back off too soon. Perhaps I can be a bit more assertive. So, prayer is important in evangelism.

But I also feel that unless God works in a person’s heart, there will be no response, no matter how hard we try.

Jesus Himself said: "No-one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.” John 6:44. 

In order to assist Jesus we witness and evangelize to others. We are to witness and evangelize to our friends as we do everyone else, the Holy Spirit does the change. We don't need to keep pressuring them, all we need to do is plant the seed.

There is a man I have spoken to a few times at a local flea mkt. He makes beautifully lettered Christian signs with bible verses.
I had asked him if he would like to have on his table a supply of Christian tracts and booklets and he said he would. So yesterday I took him a selection of small booklets including some copies of John's gospel.
As we talked, he told me that he would love to learn to witness to strangers but always finds himself at a loss.
I told him that to anyone who would say that same thing.....I would say, PRACTICE!!
One on one evangelism is not the easiest thing to do and it does require practice.
As I told him, you don't have to be a "theologian" but you do have to be dedicated; having a degree in ministry isn't necessary, but being diligent is!

I told him to think like a boy scout and be prepared.

In Luke 19:10 Jesus said that He, the Son of Man had come to "seek and to save that which is lost."
But today, we really don't have to go very far to "seek" out those who are lost. They are all around us!

For the man at the flea mkt., he has in essence, a store-front church. There will be those who stop who are already born-again. There will be those who are as yet undecided, and there will be those who are mockers and doubters.
Those who are born-again are safe! But all the others are lost and indeed on their way to hell.
And if they have stopped, it is because there is something stirring within them.

I think sometimes about the pool of Bethesda (John 5), where "at a certain time" the waters were "stirred" or "troubled" as the KJV says, and as I think about that pool of roiling water, I think of how troubled and agitated are the hearts of those who are lost. While they walk in a false sense of security or calmness, there is within them a troubled soul in need of their Redeemer.

Years ago when I realized that I had a "talent" (some call it an annoyance!) to talk to strangers at the drop of a hat, I asked the LORD to use it for His glory.
Now, I talk to everyone I meet. I find something to spark a conversation, sometimes just out of the air I begin talking to them.
And within a few words, their eternal destination generally becomes apparent.

If they are born-again we praise the LORD for a few minutes together and I go on my way. But if I find that they are lost, I offer to give them a roadmap.

I carry 2 bibles with me. One is my own witnessing bible. In it I have seven verses from Romans 3:23 to Revelation 3:20 marked.
The second bible is brand new with the same verses marked. Just a like a road map, they lead the reader into GOD's Word where salvation awaits.

It is by and through His Word, and His Word alone that a person can be "led" to Christ.
It is His Word that is "quick", that is, it is ALIVE, it is POWERFUL, sharper than a two-edged sword!
And faith comes "by hearing" and as the person reads aloud the verses in the "map" they are led to Him and as their faith is established, when they reach the last verse, if His Spirit is at work in the heart of that person, then just as it was for Zacchaeus, salvation comes!

We are to sow the seed of His Word everywhere we go, and water the seeds sown by others before us, always trusting that GOD Himself will give the increase. 1 Corinthians 3:5-8

I have known many people, some family and some who had always been dear friends, with whom I have become a estranged.
They chose to cling to their unbelief and though my witness to them was in love, humble and kind, they now are distant.
My love for them has never ceased, even as I will meet the LORD face to face. But just as He said to His disciples, of whom we are, those closest to us will be offended by what we say and how we act and live. Matthew 13:53-58 ; Mark 6:1-6 ; John 4:44

When the offense comes, and it will and does, we are to "shake the dust from our feet" and go on. Matthew 10:14 ; Mark 6:11 ; Luke 9:5
Those we hold dear, we place in His hands!

As we are responsible to GOD for our obedience, we are to open our mouths "boldly" always remembering that we are His ambassadors. Ephesians 6:19-20
Remembering too, what the Apostle Paul wrote to Timothy, "be diligent to present yourself approved of GOD, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."  &  "All Scripture is given by inspiration of GOD, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of GOD may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."  2 Timothy 2:15  & 2 Timothy 3:16-17

So with those who are closest to us, yet the farthest away, we must live our lives before GOD, keeping our focus on Him.
Knowing that though it may appear that we were not successful in sowing the seeds of salvation into those we love the most, He, Who is the One who loves them more than we do is the LORD of the harvest.

To be like that boy scout, we study His Word, prayerfully, seeking the guidance of His Holy Spirit as we live out our Christian faith each day, asking Him to give us opportunities to share His gospel, considering it a privilege to be a worker for Christ.
Always praying that other workers will come to those we love and not be turned away!

Before a person  comes to Jesus for salvation he must be aware of the fact that he has sinned (Rom 3:23), that the penalty for his sin is death (Rom 6:23), and that Jesus died to pay the penalty for those sins (Rom 5:8). By making people aware of these three basic facts we can assist our Lord in seeking and saving the lost. So, the Gospel must be heard, and explained. 

However, understanding and agreeing that these facts are true, is not enough for a person to be saved. There must be a response from the person to repent and trust our Lord Jesus Christ for their salvation.

But at least we have made the person aware of their need and they can then respond personally to Jesus’ invitation: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30.

Then, of course, there is the promise of forgiveness and eternal life: "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16.

When it comes to seeking the correct balance in telling our friends about the Gospel, I feel that I may back off too soon. Perhaps I can be a bit more assertive. So, prayer is important in evangelism.

But I also feel that unless God works in a person’s heart, there will be no response, no matter how hard we try.

Jesus Himself said: "No-one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.” John 6:44

From the hundreds of people who followed him from place to place, Jesus chose 12 to be his apostles. Apostle means “messenger or authorized representative.” He did not choose these 12 to be his associates and companions because of their faith; their faith often faltered.

Like Jesus, didn’t choose them because of their talent and ability; no one stood out with unusual ability. The disciples represented a wide range of backgrounds and life experiences, but apparently they had no more leadership potential than those who were not chosen. The one characteristic they all shared was their willingness to obey Jesus. After Jesus’ ascension, they were filled with the Holy Spirit and empowered to carry out special roles in the growth of the early church. We should not disqualify ourselves or back off from servicing Christ, being a good disciple is simply a matter of following Jesus with a willing heart. To bring people to Christ thus our commission.

• 2 weeks later...

We are disciples and we are to assist Jesus’ mission to seek and save the lost by evangelizing them whenever we have a chance. We should talk to them about Jesus when the conversation could lead up talking about Jesus. They need to know that we are Christian and have their best interest in mind.

• 2 years later...

Matthew 28:18-20 clearly states our misson

18 Jesus approached and, [a]breaking the silence, said to them, All authority (all power of rule) in heaven and on earth has been given to Me.

19 Go then and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them [b]into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

20 Teaching them to observe everything that I have commanded you, and behold, I am with you [c]all the days ([d]perpetually, uniformly, and on every occasion), to the [very] close and consummation of the age. [e]Amen (so let it be). Amplified Classic Edition 

Jesus commanded the apostles to go and make disciples everwhere they went and baptizing them and teaching them everything that they learned from Him. The love balance is doing it when the Holy Spirit leads you to do it only and learning to talk about it only then. You need to back off when you sense resistance with your friend and there is no progress at all. 

I believe that we are to testify to others about what He has done in our lives. Tell them how He has not only saved us but helped us through tight spots. We are to show it in our actions when we are with others. They need to see a change in us as well and not just talk. You need to walk the walk not just talk the talk.

I believe that once your friends and family tell you to back off or shut up that you just let them see your life and wait for an opportunity to explain why you are living the way you do. Why you react differently when you are harassed or threatened. It will do no good to preach to them about what they are doing wrong. It will only get them mad.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:33 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. How are we disciples to assist in Jesus’ mission to seek and to save the lost? I don't really consider myself a disciple so perhaps this question doesn't apply to me. I am a believer and a follower of the Word of God, and all that glory that comes from His child. I never had any intention of evangelizing other than inviting friends and colleagues to join me in worship services, and in Bible studies. I want to listen for God's Voice so I can pursue my life in the way that honors Him so he can be proud of me. I hope doing this will naturally allow my neighbors to join me in worshipping God Almighty.

What is the love-balance between seeking to save our friends and having to back off because they feel we are trying to pressure them? I don't know and I wouldn't do it if I was asked. Finding God is a organic life-altering event, and pushing people is not going to help them see God any faster.