JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Rock, Stone, Foundation

• 2 months later...

Q2. (1 Peter 2:4-8) In what way are these rock images of Christ attractive to our world? In what way do they repel people? Why? In what ways do you see Jesus as a Rock, Stone, and Foundation in your own life? 

THE WORLD IN ALL OF ITS PRIDE, SEEKS ATTENTION, POWER, & CONTROL.  It is all of these things that are already taken and are being offered if we would only believe, trust, and obey.  This repels those who seek their own power, for they want to grant what is already occupied.  As a result, they stumble.  I SEE JESUS/GOD as the foundation of everything.  Proverbs 3:5-6 says it best.  Trust in the Lord with all of your heart, lean NOT on your own understanding, ACKNOWLEDGE HIM in all of your ways and HE WILL DIRECT YOUR PATH.  FOCUS ON THESE THINGS...THIS IS THE ROCK!

Q2. (1 Peter 2:4-8) In what way are these rock images of Christ attractive to our world? In what way do they repel people? Why?

My Answer:  As our Spiritual Rock he is our strength, our might, our sustaining fortress in the midst of conflict. As Stumbling Stone Jesus' divinity and absolute authority highlight the reasons people avoid real discipleship; they are too enamored with their own will to surrender to his will. As Crushing Stone, Jesus is the one who will come as conquering King to usher in the Kingdom of God -- and to destroy with violence all the worldly competitors to his supremacy. As Foundation he is the only one on which we can build a life that will endure. As Cornerstone or Capstone, he is the one who holds our lives together and crowns them with glory.

In what ways do you see Jesus as a Rock, Stone, and Foundation in your own life?

My Answer: One of my poodles recently ruptured a disc in his back. Part of his healing process is to crate him at all times other than to carry him outside to go to the bathroom. My dog is very unhappy with this treatment. He cries most of the time he is constrained in the crate. I see this experience as a parallel to my relationship with Jesus. While the crate time for my dog was motivated by my love for him and what was best for him, my dog perceived it as punishment, causing him to be very dissatisfied. As my Rock, Stone and Foundation, Jesus is the Master, Who causes me to stumble when I am headed down a path that is destructive and outside of His will. He also keeps me anchored when life seems out of control. In this way, Jesus as the Rock is a source of great comfort and refuge. That same Rock loves me too much to allow me to wander off, without "crushing" my disobedience. 

They are attractive because they speak of great power.

They are rejected by some who miss out on the salvation Jesus offers.  If you don't believe, you reject.

He's the strength in my life, I can count on Him.  He is precious to me.  On Him the building is built--the universal church.

He's the foundation I build my life on.                    

Q2 (1 Peter 2:4-8) In what way are these rock images of Christ attractive to our world?

​ The Rock image is one of strength, a sure place to stand, or to shelter under or to be upheld, as the Insurance Company's image of the massive rock of Gibraltar represents protection and security in an unsafe world, filled with quicksand and shifting sand.

In what way do they repel people? Why?​​

To the proud and self sufficient, the rock can represent a goal to climb for more power or advantage, a weapon to crush the opposition, an obstacle to get out of the way of their progress or program.

​Our world seems to be on a path where absolutes are disgusting and to be rejected. Rocks and Stones suggest the solid, the concrete, and the world is all about ​undoing the absolutes in life, the truth of the Bible, moral guidelines of right and wrong, to the extent that the names associated with sin and immorality have been changed to reflect the rebellion, and anarchy of today. (Murder is now "offing someone" or taking someone "out". Stealing is "lifting" and many other names. Fornication is "hooking up"...and so on. Just "what is done is acceptable."

In what ways do you see Jesus as a Rock, Stone, and foundation in your own life? 

​After starting life as I did, abused, terrified with death threats and brutal beatings from both parents, and inconsistency in the extreme, Jesus is my Rock, my steadfast, secure place which has no shadow of turning, is never inconsistent, the foundation which is immovable, no matter what is going on in me or around me. He is the cornerstone, and anchor which holds me fast, my champion and protector in life. He has a hedge, as it were, made up of stones, around me, with a door He opens and no man can shut. He is my fortress where I can and do run into and hide when life is threatening or too painful.

​I love that this life journey, or race as the Apostle Paul called it is preparation for us as we become "living stones" in His eternal temple as His lovely bride. 

Q2. (1 Peter 2:4-8) 

In what way are these rock images of Christ attractive to our world? 

In what way do they repel people? 

Why? 

In what ways do you see Jesus as a Rock, Stone, and Foundation in your own life? 

The images of rock, stone, and foundation depict solidness; something which is strong and stable and dependable. 

It is for this reason alone that these images might be attractive to our world.

They do not associate Jesus with these images at all, in fact the world hates Jesus.

We can talk about God but at the mention of Jesus most people become uncomfortable. 

In our world today, people not only reject Christ, but they stumble over Him. 

He is a stumbling stone and a rock that makes them fall. 

The world prefers their sins to having Jesus as Saviour, since He exposes their evil deeds. 

Also, they stumble because of their disobedience to the Word.

We remember Jesus said that if you love me you will do as I command. 

By disobeying the Word of God, we reject Jesus, who is God’s gift of grace to save us from our sins.

To every one of us, Jesus will be either the chief cornerstone, the Lord of our lives, or He will be a stumbling stone.

We must make a choice, we cannot remain neutral, because to ignore Him is to reject Him. 

Q2. (1 Peter 2:4-8) In what way are these rock images of Christ attractive to our world? In what way do they repel people? Why? In what ways do you see Jesus as a Rock, Stone, and Foundation in your own life?

People like the rock images especially when they can apply those images to themselves in the realm of power and strength.  It is very self gratifying.

When it applies to Christ and they have to acknowledge Christ and not themselves as a sure foundation they are repelled because of the baseness of their character and arrogance.

Jesus is my solid Rock, to who I go because He is immovable, strong, solid and He never changes. He is righteous and just.  He is the foundation of my faith because He my Hope, He is solid ground, He can never be moved. "My hope is build on nothing less than Jesus blood and righteousness, I dare not trust the sweetest frame, But wholly lean on Jesus name.  On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand, all other ground is sinking sand."

God bless

Jen

Psalm 62:2

Q2. (1 Peter 2:4-8) In what way are these rock images of Christ attractive to our world? In what way do they repel people? Why? In what ways do you see Jesus as a Rock, Stone, and Foundation in your own life?

In Isaiah 8, the prophet spoke of the Messiah as a "sanctuary" but at the same time a "stone of stumbling and a rock of offense", and in Isaiah 28, again the Messiah is likened to a stone, as the prophet writes: "Behold, I lay in Zion a stone for a foundation, a tried stone, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation."

The Jews of that time, with their traditions of the temples and synagogues would have understood the simile of enduring strength to a stone.

So when Peter, quoting from Isaiah said, "Behold, I lay in Zion a chief cornerstone, elect, precious, And he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame" those to whom he wrote, they understood it was Christ Jesus, the "chief cornerstone"; that it was He Who was elect and precious.

Today, only to those who have put their faith in Christ Jesus, believing Him to be chosen by GOD and precious, find Him to be "attractive."

For unbelievers, as Peter said, "to those who are disobedient" as the chief priests and Pharisees were as they rejected Him, even though He was and is the "chief cornerstone" of our faith. He is a "stone of stumbling" to those who would attempt to attain righteousness by works (the Law). (Hebrews 9:31-33)

The world is trying to blot out His Name and His glory by proclaiming their own righteousness.

Down through the centuries, just as the Scriptures foretell us, there will be those who are offended by Him, by His Word, but there will also be those who believe in Him, receiving Him as Savior and LORD.

As I compare the condition of my former life to my life now as a born-again believer, saved by His grace and mercy, I know that as Peter said of those who believed that He is the precious cornerstone.

He said they were a "chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people", and I know that I have been called out of a dreadful darkness into His marvelous light (vs 9)

His gospel gave me life, dignity, value and most importantly, purpose. Without Him I would have been just a wanderer, going from one extreme to another. 

In Christ the solid Rock I stand. That's Gospel.....good news that I have someone I can trust,
who is the foundation my faith, not just as a wise man, but God Himself who even gave His life
for me.  More and more this world rejects this Rock....they want a world where anything goes,
A world where rich corporations can dominate and misuse the resources that are needed for
communities to live securely. They are repelled by the Rock because of their own self-interests,
but what wonderful achievements can be made by living according to His word and power. 

It shows Christ as our strength, might and our sustaining fortress in th midst of trouble. People become to caught up with their own will and won't give up their own will to follow Christ will for their lives. Christ is my strength in every area of my life. I don't have the strength to stand on my own in a troubled world we live in.

Jesus is my Rock, Stone and Foundation meaning He is the one who sustain my life and protect me

The images of Christ as a rock is attractive to us today because for Christians he holds us together, he is our solid foundation for our faith.

The images of Christ as a corner stone repels many people today because they don't want to live like a Christian. Their friends are not Christians and they want to be popular with them.

Jesus is a rock in my life because he keeps me from going astray in my moral character. As a foundation because ha has provided for my redemption. as a stone in my life, by placing me in a grounded Christian Church, where preaching is the word of God! 

Q2. (1 Peter 2:4-8) In what way are these rock images of Christ attractive to our 

world? In what way do they repel people? Why? In what ways do you see Jesus as 

a Rock, Stone, and Foundation in your own life?

1. "The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, 
    My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; 
    My shield and the horn of my salvation, 
    my stronghold." (2 Samuel 22:2 = Psalm 18:2) 
  2. "Therefore I tell you that the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and

given to a people who will produce its fruit. 44 He who falls on this stone will

be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed.'" (Matthew 21:42-44)  

1. Due to people rejecting the rock. Peter, speaking to the rulers and elders (the "builders") boldly

declares Jesus to be this one whom they rejected.

"He is 'the stone you builders rejected, 
which has become the capstone.'" (Acts 4:11)

1. RockAs our Spiritual Rock he is our strength, our might, our sustaining fortress

in the midst of conflict. As Stumbling Stone Jesus' divinity and absolute authority 

highlight the reasons people avoid real discipleship; they are too enamored with their

own will to surrender to his will. 

StoneAs Crushing Stone, Jesus is the one who will 

come as conquering King to usher in the Kingdom of God -- and to destroy with violence 

all the worldly competitors to his supremacy. 

FoundationAs Foundation he is the only one on which we can build a life that will

endure. 

One of the characteristic all children share is that they want to grow up is to be like big brother or sister or like their parents. When we are born again, we become spiritual newborn babies. If we are healthy, we will yearn to grow. How sad it is that some people never grow up.

The need for milk is a natural instinct for a baby, and it signals the desire for nourishment that will lead to growth. Once we see our need for God’s Word and begin to find nourishment in Christ, our spiritual appetite will increase, and we will start to mature He becomes our rock, Stone, and Foundation. For no man can lay a foundation other than the one laid by Jesus (1 Corinthians 3 : 11)We become strong and have the desire for God’s Word.

The images of rock, stone, and foundation depict solidness; something which is strong and stable and dependable. 
It is for this reason alone that these images might be attractive to our world.
They do not associate Jesus with these images at all, in fact the world hates Jesus.
We can talk about God but at the mention of Jesus most people become uncomfortable. 
In our world today, people not only reject Christ, but they stumble over Him. 
He is a stumbling stone and a rock that makes them fall. 
The world prefers their sins to having Jesus as Saviour, since He exposes their evil deeds. 
Also, they stumble because of their disobedience to the Word.
We remember Jesus said that if you love me you will do as I command. 
By disobeying the Word of God, we reject Jesus, who is God’s gift of grace to save us from our sins.
To every one of us, Jesus will be either the chief cornerstone, the Lord of our lives, or He will be a stumbling stone.

We must make a choice, we cannot remain neutral, because to ignore Him is to reject Him.

The ways the rock images of Christ are attractive to our world is, Christians are like living stones being built into a spiritual house(the church) to be a holy priesthood.

The way the rock images of Christ repels people is, they resent His divinity and absolute authority.

The reason why is, they are too enamored with their own will to surrender to God's will.

The ways I see Jesus as a Rock, Stone, and Foundation in my life are, He keeps me grounded in the faith. He is a sustaining fortress in the midst of conflict.

I depend on His strength to help me make it through my Christian walk.

These rock images of Christ are attractive to our world because the world loves the strong and rock depicts strength that is not easily broken.  The "rock images" repel people because it calls men into obedience to the commandments of God.  They are repelled because they refuse righteousness. In my life Jesus is the firm irremovable strength of the powerful eternal word which has laid a foundation for me  to live by and to live upon.  He is my choice of Savior, Deliverer,Friend, Master, Lord and God.

The way that these rock images of Christ attractive to our world is it shows that we have a firm foundation and that there is nothing in this world that can destroy it. They may repel people because it does require us to follow Jesus and put our will to the aside our will and follow Jesus’ will. Jesus is a Rock, Stone, and a Foundation in my life because I can always count on him especially when things get really rough. But I can also count on him when things are really going great.

• 2 weeks later...

Our world is a place of constant change and shifting, a place of insecurity and questions, a place where everything is disposable  - with “new and improved” around every corner. We long for something dependable, substantial, and enduring. We respect strength and power. The rock images of Christ would be attractive and appealing to our world in their sense of solidity, reliability, and permanence. But what a paradox that it is those very things that also repel people. We have a restless and prideful nature that wants things our own way when we want it and how we want it. We want to be in control and determine our path. A firm set of absolutes is an obstacle to that nature, and we resist.

What do these absolutes mean in my own life?

• Jesus is the durable, immovable, powerful Rock that is the “raw material” that God uses as our fortress and place of protection (Psalm 18:2). In Him, I find salvation and the sovereign strength that provides a place of refuge and the crushing defeat of any enemy, including those in my own heart.

• Jesus is the Stone that was cut and polished by the Father through great suffering to be set in place as the precious chosen cornerstone of the Kingdom of God that defines the parameters and perfectly squares up the structure. My life is one of the living stones He has set in place to build that Kingdom. He is polishing and refining me to destroy my unholy and rebellious nature. Father also set Jesus as the capstone that locks and holds the entire Kingdom together. I must completely trust that Jesus is the key to my forgiveness of sin and acceptance as God's child, and He has locked down and guaranteed my entry into His Kingdom.

• And Jesus is the Foundation upon which the Christian life is built. My works and service must be built on Jesus, never on my own plans, desires, strengths, or efforts. Nothing of self will survive the final testing that will reveal “what sort of work each one has done”; only what is built on Him as the Foundation will endure and be rewarded (1Corinthians 3:13-14).

• 2 years later...

It speaks of a sure foundation for them and how they won’t be put to shame if they trust in it. It speaks of how that foundation is a stone in Zion that has been laid and it’s a cornerstone. However the things that repel them would be the fact they need to believe in this stone in order to trust in it and not to be put to shame. The fact that they would stumble over the stone would also repel them as well. It repels people because they refuse to believe in Christ and His message of truth. They would rather steer their own life instead of let Jesus do it. I see Jesus as my Rock when the winds of life and storms of life hit me hard and I can no longer handle them and when I need Him; He is always there for me. When life is rocky and uncertain He is my cornerstone to rely on. He is my foundation of truth to trust in as well when satan tempts and tests me. 

I believe that people in our world would think of rocks as something valuable or precious. Something that is worth a lot and they would think of a foundation as something that a house needs to be grounded on so it doesn't collapse. But they would not like to hear anything about a rock crushing or making them fall. They do not want someone like Jesus to be their leader or to be the foundation of their lives or beliefs.

When I think of Jesus I think of Him as someone who is dependable and unmoving like a Rock. I think of Him as someone who is the Stone, at the center of my life. One who I can trust and rely on no matter what. He is the most important part of my faith and walk. 

He is the foundation that I build on and nothing else will take His place. Without Him I would not get into heaven.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:36 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (1 Peter 2:4-8) In what way are these rock images of Christ attractive to our world? In what way do they repel people? Why? There are dichotomies here in which the reference to "rock" can bee seen as a symbol of refuge while the other can be seen as weapon. How you feel about these ideas would depend on whether you're a believer or a non-believer.

In what ways do you see Jesus as a Rock, Stone, and Foundation in your own life? I sometimes  see Jesus as a refuge for salvation and a weapon for destruction. He did seek to destroy one of the temples because it was not functioning as a house of worship. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:36 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.  Jesus, our Rock represents strength, unmovable, unshakeable , powerful, hiding place and protection, things humanity wants. 

b. and c. These images repel people because of their pride, they are independent, don't need a savior, they can do for themselves.  They will not humble themselves, cry out and fall upon This Rock for mercy and forgiveness. 

c.  Jesus is my Rock, as He is my Lord and Savior, the Strength of my life, Provider, Protector, Healer, Deliverer, Friend that sticks closer than a brother, His Spirit lives in me, my body is the Temple of the Holy Ghost and so much more He is to me.  He is the Stone that others have rejected and He is a Sure Foundation.  

• 1 year later...

The images attract to our world because we need order and we need a righteous king to rule. So as the Conquering King coming reassures us that the old order of things which are not best will past away and the righteous King will rule. Wickedness will be dealt with. As Spiritual Rock he is there with us in everything we go through. Jesus sustains us and strengthen us so we can succeed.