JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Great Physician

• 2 months later...

Q4. (Luke 4:23) How does Jesus as the Great Physician resonate with our broken world? What does it mean to you that Jesus is your Great Physician and Healer?

THIS HAS TO BE THE GREATEST QUESTION OF ALL TIME! Today, in our world, many are confused as they seek a means of restoration to declining health, skills, and other areas of deteriorations that are a part of the process of life.  Many, proclaiming to the the ULTIMATE PHYSICIAN, are hanging out shingles and offering solutions.  They are shouting the solutions and WHISPERING the SIDE EFFECTS.  While there are some God provided solutions to ease the decline that comes with aging; only Jesus can heal.  The broken world will continue to put their trust in what man says and they will continue to get what only man can give, BROKEN PROMISES.  Only the promises of God will prevail and He has given us examples all through the Bible what He can and will do at all stages of life.  From protecting babies to raising the dead. All He ask is that we READ, TRUST & BELIEVE.  Stay tuned.

Q4. (Luke 4:23) How does Jesus as the Great Physician resonate with our broken world? What does it mean to you that Jesus is your Great Physician and Healer?

My Answer: For the world to accept Jesus as the Great Physician and Healer would mean to believe He is the Son of God. Unbelievers receive no comfort from this since they deny His Sovereignty. To us, His followers, it is a great comfort to lean on Jesus to heal all areas of our lives, spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically.

When Jesus has touched them, they believe.  If  they don't believe, then it sounds silly to them.

He has healed me by taking away my sins & shame, healed me emotionally, spiritually & physically--preparing me to live the life His has for me.

Q4 (Luke 4:23) How does Jesus as the Great Physician resonate with our broken world?

​Broken world...a great choice of words! I seldom meet anyone who is not hurting, wounded or broken in some way...some unspoken but visible due to the actions which can speak louder than words. The "sick" are looking for the doctor who can cure their disease or angst. We have the privilege of introducing others to the Great Physician which gives hope to the broken in body, soul and spirit. ( I was told this is the reason for the gazillion self help books available....because everyone is looking for some kind of healing) We know the One Who can TRULY heal!

Based on Q3,( about a winsome way of sharing Christ):  offering to pray with or for someone introduces them to the Great Physician and is medicine for their soul! It gives Him an entre into their life. It demonstrates our compassion and understanding ....of one being healed to reach out to another in need of healing. In all the years of asking to be allowed to pray, I've only been told "No thank you" one time.

What does it mean to you that Jesus is your Great Physician and Healer

​Yesterday I rode to the Celebration of Life for a dear friend who passed away from a cruel death to cancer. The driver was the counselor I had introduced to my Christian friend who had a number of abortions before she met Jesus. The counselor led her through a year of Bible Study geared to the restoration and healing of those who have had abortions and who suffer guilt and trauma and often, illness as a result of hiding their secret shame. As we drove she spoke of the post traumatic stress which my friend suffered in her childhood which affected her subsequent actions. As I listened, I realized Post Traumatic Stress is what counselors would call the violence, beatings, death threats, verbal abuse, lack of love or affection to which I was subjected....and I marveled at the miracle of healing and restoration the Great Physician has accomplished in my own life....it's breathtaking when I look back and see what He has done!

During the service, it was said "If you're here and you're older and on fire for the Lord, it is evidence that the Great Physician has been at work in your life because no one escapes pain and trauma while growing up."  Again, I gave thanks for His work to restore and heal me, and that He continues to do.

​He has wrought miraculous physical healings in my children, and in my own body. He has healed depression, panic attacks, suicidal thoughts and nightmares through His love and His Word and His people. He led me to a Christian 12-step program where I learned that I am not alone in childhood traumas and where my life was changed dramatically and where I experienced the love of Christ through His people.  He is still healing fears which linger, but " Being confident of this that He Who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus"  Phil.1:6

Q4. (Luke 4:23) 

How does Jesus as the Great Physician resonate with our broken world? 

What does it mean to you that Jesus is your Great Physician and Healer?

In our broken world Jesus is often used as a last resort to physically heal people.

In desperation they might turn to Him.

But to believers He is the Great Physician who heals not only physically but emotionally, mentally, and spiritually as well.

The bottom line is that sin is our great illness, and we are in dire need of a Physician.

It is the disease of the soul, and the remedy is the precious blood of Christ, the Spirit of Christ, and the Word of Christ. 

Q4. (Luke 4:23) How does Jesus as the Great Physician resonate with our broken world? What does it mean to you that Jesus is your Great Physician and Healer?

Our world is broken and we need a physician to heal.  But who can do that.  There is one and one only.  He is Jesus Christ sent by God to heal us and make us whole.

Thank you Father for sending us your Only Begotten Son Jesus to heal us.  Thank you for sending your Holy Spirit to guide us everyday to live lives that are healed and holy as we await our time to go home to be with You.  Thank you Jesus for being our Great Physician and Healer, our Savior and Lord.  When You heal You heal completely.

God Bless

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Jesus is the Great Physician even in our world full of grief due to sickeness and affuiction. Only when we turn to Him shall we be healled spurtually and physically.

Jesus as the Great Physician does not resonate with the broken world of today. Jesus is mostly rejected by the governments of the world today they reject him as a healer.

To me Jesus is the Great Healer for those that believe and have faith in him as the Son of God our redeemer. He came to reconcile us back to our Heavenly Father and to have eternal life with them. He has healed us of the curse of death and brought eternal life to our soul.    

[resonate: to continue to produce a loud, clear, deep sound for a long time; to continue to produce a loud, clear, deep sound for a long time; to produce something that is personally meaningful or important to someone. Also a sound or vibration produced in one object that is caused by the sound or vibration produced in another.]

In a world overwhelmed and cursed by sin, we, as believers in Christ Jesus have His revealed will in His Word to guide us through life. (Genesis 3:17 & Romans 5:12)

When something is alive, it moves, there are 'vibrations', there is a vitality, energy, even power. And this is true of His Word more than anything else on this planet.
To 'resonate' or have 'resonance' is to not only produce a loud, clear, deep sound for a long time, but  to cause other's to produce the same sound.

His Word, when rightly divided (2 Timothy 2:15) produces that vitality, that energy and power that effects everyone. To some it draws (John 6:44-45) and others it is that "stone of stumbling" that was mentioned in a previous lesson (Isaiah 8:14)

The world as a whole is in a rejecting mode more and more every day. But no matter what the rest of the world is doing or which way it is choosing to go, we are called to be "ambassadors" for Christ.
The Apostle Paul wrote (2 Corinthians 5:20), "Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though GOD were pleading through us; we implore you on Christ's behalf, be reconciled to GOD."
And in Ephesians 6, Paul continues with that idea of being an ambassador when he said that not only did he gird himself with the whole armor of GOD (vs 10), praying always in the Spirit for all his fellow believers, the saints, but praying for himself (vs 19-20) "that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak."

In Mark 2 & Luke 5 Jesus equates sin with sickness and Himself as a physician. But the healing that He was most concerned with was the spiritual kind. That some were healed of diseases and physical problems sometimes was the result of His compassion. (Matthew 14:14; Mark 1:41; Luke 10:33)
But in truth, these events were to show Christ's authority on earth as the Messiah, for the most part to the Jews.

The truth is, He did not heal everyone who needed it.
For instance, in John 5 we can read about the pool of Bethesda where "a great multitude of sick people, blind, lame, paralyzed, waiting for the moving of the water. For an angel went down at a certain time into the pool and stirred up the water; then whoever stepped in first, after the stirring of the water, was made well of whatever disease he had."

Keeping in mind that Jesus never did anything arbitrarily and He wasn't there at the pool by accident, we see that He spoke to only one man, "a certain man" the Scripture says, a man who had been infirm for thirty eight years. A particular man, not just one of the many who were there because we must know that Jesus never does anything without a reason.
What was so special about this man?
Since Jesus knows the thoughts of every man, He knew how the man would respond. Jesus didn't tell someone to pick the man up and put him into the pool, nor did He do it Himself, He just said, "Rise, take up your bed and walk."
And he "took up his bed and walked"

Later, when the man was in temple, Jesus spoke to him saying, "See, you have been made well. Sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon you."
While the rest of the Scriptures don't give any detail, we do know that the man told other Jews that Jesus had made him well, and it is quite possible that there were some who believed that Jesus was the Messiah because of what they heard about Him as it had been foretold of. Isaiah 53

There are some who believe that it is a lack of faith and belief that keeps a person from being healed.
These notions are based on misused and misquoted Scripture, used out of context, and sadly when healing doesn't come, in essence, it becomes some sort of measuring stick for faith. And certainly, to one who believes sincerely that their own faith is strong, it can cause that person to begin to doubt GOD!!!

But an objective and careful study of His Word makes it obvious that such a convictions about healing are in error.

I have walked in fairly good health all my life. I have experienced accidents and incidents that seem to me should have resulted in serious injury, yet they did not.
Injuries that I have experienced, healed quickly with little or no after effects.
Yet through all of that for me, I have buried my parents, both dying of disease, and two husbands, both who died earlier than what I considered to be "a good old age"

But too, I have seen people healed. So I know He still heals but it is always at His time, as He chooses, according to His will.

Our greatest concern today, must be the same as it is for Him, it is sin.
While in my heart I look for His appearing with love and hope, praying "even so, come LORD Jesus", I tremble knowing that when He comes, so many will be lost forever.

And that knowledge should be the impetus that moves us always to be His witness.

1. "[Jesus] said, 'Those who are well have no

need of a physician, but those who are sick.'" 

(Matthew 9:12; Mark 2:17; Luke 5:31)

1. Jesus is the one who can make me whole;

Physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually. He

is my healer.He is the one I can count on for sure.

Jesus referred to himself as a "physician" or "doctor" in the sense of "spiritual healer" and in the sense of "physical healer." 
As a Spiritual healer, Jesus reminded people that "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. He says I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

Jesus referred to himself as a "physician" or "doctor," in the sense of "spiritual healer" and once in the sense of "physical healer." As Spiritual Healer:  Jesus reminded them that "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." (Mark 2 17)
Jesus’ role as "physician" and healer was so essential to His mission that he cannot be understood apart from it. Jesus gave a remarkable attention to healing. He was a physician, a healer whose time was consumed with encounters with people who were sick, blind, lame, deaf, leprous, paralyzed or mentally ill.

It is important to note that the healing power from Jesus went beyond curing broken bones and ailing bodies. Sickness--and, therefore, healing--is not simply a biological or physical phenomenon. It touches every level of our existence as a human being: physical, emotional, social, spiritual.

Jesus’ touch did more than send healing power into sick bodies. This physical contact also cut through barriers of isolation and was a sign of Jesus’ compassion and solidarity with suffering people. When a leper approached Jesus asking to be healed, Jesus first touched him--an action that meant ritual impurity that time. 

In our broken world Jesus is often used as a last resort to physically heal people.
In desperation they might turn to Him.
But to believers He is the Great Physician who heals not only physically but emotionally, mentally, and spiritually as well.
The bottom line is that sin is our great illness, and we are in dire need of a Physician.

It is the disease of the soul, and the remedy is the precious blood of Christ, the Spirit of Christ, and the Word of Christ

Jesus as the Great Physician resonates with our broken world because, He is the only one able to heal us physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually; making us whole in spirit and body.

In this broken world Jesus is the only answer for healing every kind of brokenness.  I am blessed and thankful that whenever I need a healer Jesus has already seen my brokenness and given me physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually healing.  Through Him I am made whole.  Thank you Jesus!.

• 2 years later...

It resonates with our broken world because there are so many people looking for a remedy and a solution to their sin. They can rest in knowing that Jesus is the Great Physician who can truly heal them and give them the rest and healing that they truly need. For they are looking in all the wrong places for it. Once they choose to look to Jesus for what they need; they will never look back again. Their brokenness will be healed and their sin will be wiped cleaned. All because of Jesus. It means to me that I cry out to Him when I am sick and trust in Him for healing whether here on earth in this life or in heaven in eternity that is faithful to do it. 

In our broken world today people will be more willing to consider Him as a Great Physician than as a Savior or Lord. Because they are looking for someone or something to heal their broken spirits and wounded souls. They need someone to comfort them when they are going through hard times or someone to heal their body or soul.

To me it means that He can heal my body of illnesses or diseases if He chooses to and He can heal my spirit and soul when I am wounded by others. He can do it all for He conquered death, hell and the grave.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:37 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Luke 4:23) How does Jesus as the Great Physician resonate with our broken world? In order for our broken world to be healed, we would need a righteous army of justice warriors to put away the wicked once and for all. A great physician cannot fix the damage in our current world because the damage is not in the injured, but in the mindset of wicked people that refuse to stop attacking the innocent.

What does it mean to you that Jesus is your Great Physician and Healer?  I don't know that Jesus is my personal physician and healer; I'm still suffering from back pains and  stiffness from arthritis.  

In theory it's nice to know that we have a God who functions in this role but before we can heal the injured we need to first guarantee that the attacks will not continue. We need justice warriors to first stop the attackers and then create a pathway for the physician to come in and heal.   

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:37 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.  The world is broken by sin.  Jesus is the Great Physician and the remedy, but not all come to Him.  Some people trust Him for salvation only but do not know that at Calvary He provided the grace for healing of the whole man - spirit, soul (mind, will and emotions)and body (every part).  Salvation for the soul, healing for the body, and His Holy Spirit to live in us that brings peace, comfort, teaching, helping, life, quickening, revelation.  It is all entered into by faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ.  

b.  Jesus is my Great Physician and Healer and I could trust Him and believe on Him for healing, delivering, saving.   I need look nowhere else for help, I can run to Him.   He loves me with an everlasting love and continues to draw me to Himself, He hears and answers prayer and He will never leave or forsake me.   The greatest miracle of all is the new birth.  He is my Father, Husband, Friend, My Great Physician, Savior, Healer, Deliverer and the supplier of all my needs and gives me eternal life. 

• 1 year later...

Because our world needs to be healed. We need healing in different ways. The world needs to be cleansed spiritually.

What it means to me is I receive healing physically for the issues that I have in my body. Which I have receive healing in my body through Jesus from health issues. Jesus is Awesome! Jesus is My Great Physician. But not only that he has dealt with me spiritually and cleansed me of my sins. Jesus heals me of any emotional issues. He makes my heart clean and helps keep my thoughts clean.

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Q4. (Luke 4:23) How does Jesus as the Great Physician resonate with our broken world?

ANSWER: Jesus as the Great Physician resonates with our broken world because, He is the only one able to heal us physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. We can freely declare that Jesus our Great Physician heals all manner of sicknesses and diseases. Matthew 8:17, “… Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.” Isaiah 53:5, “… And with his stripes we are healed.” As the great Physician, Jesus gives us an analysis of the moral condition of humanity and its results. One of the more powerful attributes of Jesus is that of the Great Physician. He came to this world to heal humanity and all four Gospels record Jesus’ healings as a significant part of His ministry. He created us in His image with a body, mind, and spirit, and each aspect can need healing. Jesus is the same healer today that He was over 2000 years ago, and will be forever.

Jesus comes when you call Him. His diagnosis is always accurate. He can cleanse every wound and heal every sickness. He won't force His medicine on you; He waits for you to admit your needs first. And the amazing thing is the He already paid the bill for your care on Calvary's cross. The Great Physician administers the medicine of His Word to your ailing soul. He can save the unbeliever, heal a broken heart and restore a fractured relationship. Whatever your need, ask Jesus for His healing touch.

What does it mean to you that Jesus is your Great Physician and Healer?

ANSWER: What it means to us that Jesus is our Great Physician and Healer is He came to cure the sick and poor in spirit and to heal our souls and restore our relationship with God. This is GOOD NEWS in a world where there’s great sicknesses, plagues, viruses, and untimely deaths. We can look to Jesus in faith, and receive needful healing! Healing is one of the finished work of Jesus on the Cross, as well as our salvation.

A great portion of Christ’s time was dedicated to healing the sick. He healed a variety of ailments including blindness, paralysis, physical limitations, leprosy, and many other illnesses. Christ’s work of restoration didn’t end with His ascension, but continues to this day. Christ was our healer when He walked among us, continues to be our healer now, and will remain our healer until He returns.

HEALING AND HEALTH IS GOD’S WILL: … The will of God is to extricate the body, soul, and spirit of man from sin and effects or penalty of sin, which are disease and death. IT IS ALWAYS HIS WILL TO HEAL those who will obey Him, believe Him, and act boldly on His Word of promise.

3 WAYS JESUS HEALS US …

a). SPIRITUAL HEALING;

b). MENTALLY/EMOTIONAL HEALING; and

c). HEALING PHYSICALLY.

JESUS IS OUR HEALER! HE IS THE GREATEST PHYSICIAN! HE IS ABLE TO HELP US AS WE PRAY IN FAITH! WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!

We WERE HEALED, ARE HEALED, AND SHALL BE HEALED! This is true FOREVER AND EVER!