JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Heir of All Things

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Hebrews 1:2; Romans 8:17; 1 Corinthians 3:22) In what sense is Jesus "Heir of All Things"? What does it imply that we are co-heirs with him? In what sense do we possess all things?

IT ALL STARTS AND ENDS WITH GOD; Jesus is God's instrument to enable us to join Him in being the ultimate heir.

We need only to overcome to ensure our inheritance.

.Jesus has all authority, and all things and peoples belong to him. In the great messianic Psalm 2, the psalmist writes:

And since you and I are spiritual sons, we too are "heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ" (Romans 8:17). In that sense, all things are ours (1 Corinthians 3:22).

This inheritance will be granted at the Last Day. "He who overcomes will inherit all this,

and I will be his God and he will be my son." (Revelation 21:7)

Q3 (Hebrews 1:2, Romans 8:17, 1 cor. 3:22) In what sense is Jesus "Heir of All Things"?

​The heir is always the first born son...The Father appointed Jesus Heir and lawful Owner of all things by Whom and through Whom He created all things.

What does it imply that we are co-heirs with him?

​By faith, we are His children and share His inheritance with Him. (We are co-equal in sharing, not getting the lesser inheritance of second and third born children as is done here on earth) All that is His is ours. We are seated right now in Heaven at His right hand.

In what sense do we possess all things?

​As His sons/daughters we also share His suffering, if we are to share His glory.....the glory that is about to be revealed to us and in us and for us and conferred on us! Rom 8:18  We possess it now by faith.

​All that He inherits we share as well.....and WE are His inheritance, chosen by the Father and given to the Son before the foundation of the world was formed. (John 17:11b)   

(Hebrews 1:2; Romans 8:17; 1 Corinthians 3:22) In what sense is Jesus “Heir of All Things”? What does it imply that we are co-heirs with him? In what sense do we possess all things?     

Jesus is "Heir of All Things" because God gave Jesus all authority, and all things and peoples belong to him. We are co-heirs with him imply that because we are his spiritual sons and daughters all things are our as well and will be granted to us on the Last Day. 

Q3. (Hebrews 1:2; Romans 8:17; 1 Corinthians 3:22) In what sense is Jesus "Heir of All Things"?

My Answer: 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe.

He is God. Everything belongs to Him.

My Answer: 17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

Jesus is God, The King of kings. As His children, we are heirs in the glory of God.

My Answer: 22 whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas[a] or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours.

Jesus blesses all who follow Him with the resources they need to successfully accomplish His plans for them. Jesus has no constraints because He owns it all.

Q3. (Hebrews 1:2; Romans 8:17; 1 Corinthians 3:22) In what sense is Jesus "Heir of All Things"? What does it imply that we are co-heirs with him? In what sense do we possess all things?

Not only is Jesus the exact representation of God, but he is God himself—the very God who spoke in Old Testament times. He is eternal; he worked with the Father in creating the world. He is the full revelation of God. We can have no clearer view of God than by looking at Christ. Jesus Christ is the complete expression of God in a human body.

God had revealed himself by speaking through his Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus is the fulfillment and culmination of God’s revelation through the centuries. When we know him, we have all we need to be saved from our sin and to have a perfect relationship with Him.

Paul uses adoption to illustrate the believer’s new relationship with God. In those years adopted person lost all rights in his old family and gained all the rights of a legitimate child in his new family. He became a full heir to his new father’s estate. Today, when a person becomes a Christian, he or she gains all the privileges and responsibilities of a child in God’s family. One of these outstanding privileges is being led by the Spirit. We may not always feel as though we belong to God, but the Holy Spirit is our witness. His inward presence reminds us of who we are and encourages us with God’s love.

We are no longer like “cowering and fearful slaves”; instead, we are the Master’s children. What a privilege! Because we are God’s children, we share in great treasures as co-heirs. God has already given us his best gifts: his Son, forgiveness, and eternal life; and he encourages us to ask him for whatever we need.

There is a price for being identified with Jesus. Along with the great treasures, Paul mentions the suffering that Christians must face. What kinds of suffering are we to endure? For first- century believers, there was economic and social persecution, and some even faced death. We, too, must pay a price for following Jesus. In many parts of today’s world, Christians face pressures just as severe as those faced by Christ’s first followers. Even in countries where Christianity is tolerated or encouraged, Christians must not become complacent. To live as Jesus did—serving others, giving up one’s rights, resisting pressures to conform to the world—always exacts a price. Nothing we suffer, however, can compare to the great price that Jesus paid to save us.

Q3. (Hebrews 1:2; Romans 8:17; 1 Corinthians 3:22) 

In what sense is Jesus "Heir of All Things"? 

What does it imply that we are co-heirs with Him? 

Through His Son, God made the universes.

In Colossians 1:16 we read: “For by Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him and for Him.” This is also confirmed in Hebrews 1:2: “but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.”

We recognise the majesty of the Son of God, who was present at creation and is the sovereign Lord of all created things. 

God appointed Jesus heir of all things, this we know from John 16:15, that “all that belongs to the Father is mine.”

Here, Heir as applied to Christ means that as the Son of God, He is the possessor or Lord of all things – it all belongs to Him.

Without Christ we are nothing, but as, believers, we share in His resurrection, and we share in His inheritance. 

Therefore, as believers, we become co-heirs with our Lord Jesus. 

This inheritance includes all that we will enjoy in heaven for eternity - it will be incorruptible (will never corrode, or decay), undefiled (will always be in perfect condition) and unfading (will last for eternity). Christ alone has the ultimate power, dominion, possession, and authority. And to think that He will share this with all who belong to Him! 

He is the Son of the Lord God and is the Prince that has claim to all His Father the King owns.

We are adopted sons of God by reason of our new birth and thus are joint heirs with Jesus Christ. We thus also own all that belong to God and His Son Jesus Christ.

Jesus has all power and everything belongs to Him.  He is firstborn over all creation and is heir of all.  

It implies that as co-heirs He will share all with us but He will always be firstborn.  We are adopted sons and daughters who are treated as real sons and daughters.  We are so blessed.

He who overcomes will inherit all this, 

and I will be his God and he will be my son." (Revelation 21:7). 

God bless!

Jen

Romans 15:13

Q3. (Hebrews 1:2; Romans 8:17; 1 Corinthians 3:22) In what sense 

is Jesus "Heir of All Things"? What does it imply that we are co-heirs

with him? In what sense do we possess all things?

1. Another title of the glorified, risen Christ is Heir. At the 

beginning of Hebrews he is called "Heir of all things" (Hebrews 1:2).

Jesus has all authority, and all things and peoples belong to him.

2. And since you and I are spiritual sons, we too are "heirs of God

and co-heirs with Christ" (Romans 8:17).

3. And since you and I are spiritual sons, we too are "heirs of God and 

co-heirs with Christ" (Romans 8:17). In that sense, all things are ours 

(1 Corinthians 3:22). This inheritance will be granted at the Last Day.

Q3. (Hebrews 1:2; Romans 8:17; 1 Corinthians 3:22) In what sense is Jesus “Heir of All Things”? What does it imply that we are co-heirs with him? In what sense do we possess all things?

Jesus is "heir of all things", because he was the creator of all things. Being Gods Son he is heir to the Father and we are co-heirs with Christ.

Christ is heir of God the Father, thus we are co-heirs because we belong to Christ.

because we belong to Christ and he has been given possession of all things by God, we are possessors of all things through Christ, we are his possession.     

Through His Son, God made the universes.
In Colossians 1:16 we read: “For by Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him and for Him.” This is also confirmed in Hebrews 1:2: “but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.”
We recognise the majesty of the Son of God, who was present at creation and is the sovereign Lord of all created things. 
God appointed Jesus heir of all things, this we know from John 16:15, that “all that belongs to the Father is mine.”
Here, Heir as applied to Christ means that as the Son of God, He is the possessor or Lord of all things – it all belongs to Him.
Without Christ we are nothing, but as, believers, we share in His resurrection, and we share in His inheritance. 
Therefore, as believers, we become co-heirs with our Lord Jesus. 

This inheritance includes all that we will enjoy in heaven for eternity - it will be incorruptible (will never corrode, or decay), undefiled (will always be in perfect condition) and unfading (will last for eternity). Christ alone has the ultimate power, dominion, possession, and authority. And to think that He will share this with all who belong to Him!

In what sense is Jesus “Heir of All Things”? What does it imply that we are co-heirs with him? In what sense do we possess all things?          

All things were created by and through Him. Absolutely everything belongs to Him. Jesus said that we are His brothers and sisters. This makes us co-heirs with Jesus. We possess all things in the sense that everything belongs to God and we are His children. Praise the Lord for His grace. 

In what sense is Jesus "Heir of All Things"?

Deuteronomy 6:4 reads, "Hear, O Israel: The LORD (Jehovah) our GOD (Elohiym), the LORD is one!"

And in Ephesians 4 the Apostle Paul said, "There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one LORD, one faith, one baptism; one GOD and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all."

Hebrews 1 tells us that not only is Christ Jesus "Heir of all things" (vs 2), He is the "brightness of His glory and the express image of His person" as He upholds "all things by the word of His power" (vs 3) but He is "the first born into the world" (vs 6).

Throughout all of Scripture, even in Psalm 89 we can read of the rights of the "first born."

I believe one of the most difficult biblical truths to understand is one that, until we arrive in heaven, we will not fully comprehend.

That truth is that Christ Jesus is not only GOD but as the Son of GOD He was manifest in human form, and He still resides in His own, those who believe on Him, as the Holy Spirit of GOD.

As children of GOD, that is, those who believe on Christ Jesus as Savior and LORD, we have an inheritance from GOD through Christ as 'joint heirs" (Romans 8:17)

As GOD the Father's "first born," Christ Jesus is His heir. And by "the Spirit of adoption" we can call out to GOD the Father, "Abba Father" which is to say we are His children and of Him, He and His Name is most sacred.

And calling on Him in that way is a privilege given to those who are "led by the Spirit of GOD" and those who are "joint heirs with Christ."

Many people have been beneficiaries of a will made by a family member or even a close friend.

But none of us can be the "testator" (the person making the will) and a beneficiary at the same time.

Yet Christ Jesus did just that.

As Creator of all things (Ephesians 3:9 ; Colossians 1:16 ; Revelation 4:11) He is not only the Most High (Luke 1:35) , Who by His own power would bring to earth the One born called "the Son of GOD" but He is the "Son of GOD," GOD Himself manifest in the flesh. (1 Timothy 3:16)

For us mere mortals to fully comprehend the enormity of that truth is not possible. For it is by faith, not by understanding that we are led by the Spirit of GOD, receiving from Him a witness in our own human spirit that we are "the children of GOD."

And as His children, we are "heirs of GOD and joint heirs with Christ" which speaks more of a relationship between His children and Himself than it does of tangible things.

It is my conviction that as a heir and joint heir with Christ Jesus, all that He has is mine. But since in reality as He walked on the earth owning nothing, I don't believe that the inheritance is as much material things as it is spiritual things.

Generally speaking, even the poorest among believers have more stuff than they truly need yet we are all live in spiritual poverty.

What we possess in Him is the abundance that we all should be seeking. It comes not from what we do or how we act, and isn't evidenced but what we own or how much we have, but comes as a result of our relationship with Him.

Paul said it best in Philippians 4:11-13, "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content. I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me."

Q3. (Hebrews 1:2; Romans 8:17; 1 Corinthians 3:22) In what sense is Jesus “Heir of All Things”? What does it imply that we are co-heirs with him? In what sense do we possess all things?

Jesus as the Son of God is “Heir of All Things.”  We as adopted into the family of God are co-heirs with him. God promised everything to the Son as an inheritance and because we are co-heirs we also possess all things.

Jesus is the “Heir of All Things” because he was the first to be resurrected. So if we follow Jesus and know that He is the only way to heaven, then we will also be heirs with him. We possess all things because Jesus possessed all thing and we are co-heirs with Christ

• 2 years later...

Jesus is an heir of all things because God has given Him all authority over the earth and over every created being that dwells on it. All are to submit to His authority and rule because He is God’s Son and heir. He has all the power and He is in control of everything.

We are co-heirs with him because we are spiritual heirs in the kingdom of God. We have power through the Holy Spirit like He does. We have everlasting life because we accepted Jesus as our Savior and Lord. One day we will reign with Him and be given our own rulership if we stay faithful to Him. We are seated with Him in heavenly places now and one day we will be in heaven where He is. One day we will have bodies just like His because we are co-heirs with Him.  We will be able to see God fully as He does for we will have glorified bodies. This is part of our inheritance with Him.

We possess all thing because we are overcomers and children of God and heirs or brothers and sisters of Christ. We possess all the spiritual blessings that Paul talked about. Eternal life, justification, sanctification, glorification once we get to heaven, peace, joy, redemption, and forgiveness of sins. All is ours because of Christ.

The world was given to Jesus by the Heavenly Father in its entirety. God committed the actual work of creation to Jesus. Christ is the Creator of time. He is executor of the divine will one day He will reinforce its closure. The Biblical idea of heir implies possession in part here and now, with the promise of complete possession and enjoyment in the future. We are all part of God’s purpose for the church.  `

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:43 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. b. c..  The Father has made Him Heir of all things, meaning everything the Father has the Son has.  That means us too  - And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.  In that sense, all things are ours (1 Corinthians 3:22). Because we are in Christ and Christ is in God , we are co-heirs with Christ  And since you and I are spiritual sons, we too are "heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ" (Romans 8:17).Our inheritance will be granted at the Last Day.

• 2 years later...

Jesus’ co-divinity with God makes Him both the creator and sustainer of everything that exists, including humans. I don’t know how evil fits into this.

Though Jesus is the same as God, we are not the same as Jesus. We can strive for His likeness but no more. Yes, in spite of our lesser status, we are co-heirs with Him. He has “shared” His inheritance with us.

So, in this sense, because He has shared His inheritance with us, we, like Him, possess all things in a contingent way – our inheritance is contingent on His desire and willingness to give or share.

• 7 months later...

Q3. (Hebrews 1:2; Romans 8:17; 1 Corinthians 3:22) In what sense is Jesus "Heir of All Things”?

ANSWER: Jesus is the heir of all things, and that all things includes you, but to get you he had to pay for your sins. And on the cross he did. As the Son of God, (the King of kings and Lord of lords), Jesus is the heir of all that God possesses. Everything that exists will find its true meaning only when it comes under the final control of Christ.

What does it imply that we are co-heirs with Him?

ANSWER: According to Peter, Jesus inheritance “can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for us.” What this means for us, as followers of Christ, we are adopted into God’s family as His children, and we are “co-heirs with Christ” (Romans 8:17). As co-heirs with Christ, we are set to inherit all that Christ inherits, namely, salvation from sin and eternal life with Him.

3 Reasons Why We Are an Heir of God.

1. We Are an Heir of God Because We Are a Child of God.
  2. We Are an Heir Because We Are Redeemed From the Curse.
  3. We Are an Heir Because We Are a Joint Heir With Jesus.

When we accepted Jesus as our Savior and Lord, we joined God’s family. We  became one of His children, and we received the same rights and privileges that Jesus has. Romans 8:17 refers to us as a joint heir with Jesus.

ANSWER: The sense in which we posses all things is, all things belong to those who belong to Christ. And our inheritance is: The world. The earth and all that is in it. The nations. Everything is yours because you are Christ’s:

1. Christ’s body,
  2. Christ’s bride,
  3. Christ’s subject,
  4. Christ’s sibling, and
  5. Christ’s fellow-heir.

And why does belonging to Christ make all things yours?

1. Because Christ is God’s. “You are Christ’s and Christ is God’s.” Christ is God’s Son. Christ is God’s Word (John 1:1).
  2. Christ is God’s image (2 Corinthians 4:4).
  3. Christ is God’s Beloved (Matthew 17:5).
  4. Christ is God’s radiance (Hebrews 1:3).
  5. Christ is God’s essence (Hebrews 1:3).
  6. Christ is God’s heir (Hebrews 1:2).

All the Father is, or can be, or can do for a creature, He is and does for you because you are Christ’s.