JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Refiner and Purifier

• 3 months later...

Q4. (Malachi 3:2-3; 1 Corinthians 3:13-15). How does Jesus purify and refine his church? How does he purify and refine us? On the Day that fire will test your deeds, will you have anything that remains, besides your salvation?

REFINING THE CHURCH:  "Cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless." (Ephesians 5:25b-27)

He refines us through affliction, marriage, and children.  All designed to take our minds off of ourselves for others.

If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames." (1 Corinthians 3:13-15)

Q4. (Malachi 3:2-3; 1 Corinthians 3:13-15). How does Jesus purify and refine his church? How does he purify and refine us? On the Day that fire will test your deeds, will you have anything that remains, besides your salvation?

REFINING THE CHURCH:  "Cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless." (Ephesians 5:25b-27)

He refines us through affliction, marriage, and children.  All designed to take our minds off of ourselves for others.

If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames." (1 Corinthians 3:13-15)

Q4.(Malachi 3:2-3; 1 Corin. 3:13-15) How does Jesus purity and refine his church?

​In some ways like He purifies individuals, with testing and trials, and often through persecution. The Church grows and prospers under persecution. Motives of leaders become purified and character grows. The Word going forth in power purifies and strengthens His church.

How does he purify and refine us?

​He refines us through the fiery trials and testing which shape our character and mold us into His image. Those things that cause us to choose His will and purposes above our own. Being a wife and mother has taught me to think of others needs before my own, and to sacrifice for others well being...and to do so cheerfully without resentment. He's used WAITING to refine me and to train me in patience. Hardship has built perseverance. Going without and suffering losses has helped me to be compassionate and generous when others have needs. None of it pleasant, but all of it beneficial.

On the Day that fire will test your deeds, will you have anything that remains, besides your salvation?

45 years ago when I read the verses that refer to our deeds being tested, I prayed:" Lord, I don't want to come to you ashamed of how I've lived my life and with empty "hands", but rather with "sheaves of wheat" of fruitfulness to lay at your feet. I give you permission to do whatever you need to do in my life to assure that I will have much that remains when tested with fire, and little that burns up as chaff. I want my life to be fruitful and my deeds to count for Your kingdom."

Over the years He has tested, retested, and tried me with afflictions of various kinds and lengths. We've suffered catastrophic losses. Once I said, Lord it feels like I'm being ground to powder in your mortar and pestle. What is going to be left of me? I heard a tender voice say "Me".   So all of that to say, the trials have resulted in less of me and more of Him. I know the things I've done in my own strength will burn up, but the things I've allowed Him to do through me will last.....The Holy Spirit birthed and empowered works will remain. I'm counting on much to remain because of His faithfulness in answer to my prayer.

How does Jesus purify and refine his church?

Through his Holy Spirit and his word.

How does he purify and refine us?

The same way.

On the Day that fire will test your deeds, will you have anything that remains, besides your salvation? 

I hope so!

My Answer: 2 But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner’s fire or a launderer’s soap. 3 He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the Lord will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness,

Jesus holds church leaders to a higher standard and purifies them accordingly. He holds us to a high standard as well and will challenge us to prune us, to remove distractions that keep us from bearing fruit for Him.

3 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

Jesus says if the fruit of our labors survives, we will receive a reward. Otherwise we will be saved but only as one escaping a fire.

In the process of refining metals, the raw metal is heated with fire until it melts. The impurities separate from it and rise to the surface. They are skimmed off, leaving the pure metal. Without this heating and melting, there could be no purifying. As the impurities are skimmed off the top, the reflection of the worker appears in the clear, pure surface. As we are purified by God, his reflection in our life will become more and more clear to those around us. God says that the Levites (Israel’s leaders) should be especially open to his purification process in their lives. The strong soap was alkali used to whiten cloth, also used here as a symbol of the purifying process.

Two ways to destroy a building are to tamper with the foundation and to build with inferior materials. The church must be built on Christ, not on any other person or principle. Christ will evaluate each minister’s contribution to the life of the church, and judgment day will reveal the sincerity of each person’s work. God will determine whether or not a person has been faithful to Jesus’ instructions. Good work will be rewarded; unfaithful or inferior work will be discounted. “The builders themselves will be saved, but like someone escaping through a wall of flames” means that unfaithful workers will be saved, but only by the skin of their teeth. All their accomplishments will count for nothing.

(Malachi 3:2-3; 1 Corinthians 3:13-15). How does Jesus purify and refine his church? How does he purify and refine us? On the Day that fire will test your deeds, will you have anything that remains, besides your salvation?

Jesus will purify and refine his church thru the Holy Spirit.  Jesus will turn up the heat in our lives. This means that we may go thru some difficult times, day-to-day struggles, if you will.  He is cleaning up the impurities in our life that cause us from having a relationship with him. I hope that I will have more than salvation. 

Q4. (Malachi 3:2-3; 1 Corinthians 3:13-15). 

How does Jesus purify and refine His church? 

How does He purify and refine us? 

Jesus purifies and refines His church by sanctifying it – that is setting it apart.

This process of sanctification is one of moral and spiritual preparation.

The lives of the believers are cleansed as they hear the Word of Christ and obey these Words. 

The church is purified and refined in a similar way as believers; being bathed, not with literal water, but with the cleansing agent of the Word of God.

Just as the blood of Christ cleanses once for all from the guilt and penalty of sin, so the word of God cleanses continually from the defilement and pollution of sin. 

All my deeds will be like filthy rags. I will only have, by the love, grace, and mercy of my Saviour Jesus Christ, my salvation. 

Jesus separates the purify from the un-purified. First Corinthians 3:13-15 States, "His work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames."

Through His Word and the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 5:25b-27) (Luke 3:16)

Through many personal tribulations and afflictions.

We need to pray for each other in this and that we will remain faithful to Him until the end by loving Him over life itself. There is still a lot of work to be done in me but God will perfect that which He started.  My work is to love Him with all my heart, strength, and mind.  I can only do this through the strength of the Holy Spirit so I must remain open to the work of the Holy Spirit.  I must pray for God's help to do that.  It all leads back to God so that it begins with Him and ends with Him.  The Alpha and Omega.

God Bless!
Jen
Jude 20
But you beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, looking unto the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

Through His Word and His Spirit in us. He accomplished the work of our redemption and purification by the shedding of His blood on the cross for us.

Yes, my crowns of righteousness achieved by and through His own righteousness

Through His Word and His Spirit in us. He accomplished the work of our redemption and purification by the shedding of His blood on the cross for us.

Yes, my crowns of righteousness achieved by and through His own righteousness

Jesus will refine and purify his Church by cleaning it as if by laundry soap, by fire as silver is purified. Each person will be purified as if by fire to see if his works survive or not.

I can only pray and hope that when the Lord tests my deeds as by fire, that I will have some that survive the tests if not, then only will I be saved by my salvation in him.   

Jesus purifies and refines His church by sanctifying it – that is setting it apart.

This process of sanctification is one of moral and spiritual preparation.

The lives of the believers are cleansed as they hear the Word of Christ and obey these Words. 

The church is purified and refined in a similar way as believers; being bathed, not with literal water, but with the cleansing agent of the Word of God.

Just as the blood of Christ cleanses once for all from the guilt and penalty of sin, so the word of God cleanses continually from the defilement and pollution of sin. 

All my deeds will be like filthy rags. I will only have, by the love, grace, and mercy of my Saviour Jesus Christ, my salvation.

Jesus purify His church with His Word and His Spirit, and us He purifies by putting us in the fire (trials and tribulations). I do not think you will have anything left, lets face it, even our best actions is like filthy rags before God. Only the price Jesus paid on the cross will allow us to see heaven.

Some years ago I watched a man melt chunks of lead in order to pour the molten metal into a mold to make ballasts for model sailboats. As he added small chunks of lead to the pot, he would ladle from the surface bits of material, the dross, the impurities that would have effected the quality of the ballast significantly.

There was always a large quantity of such material.

In our lives we have dross as well. And our LORD has been given full authority to decide what needs to be scraped away and what does not. (John 5:22)
As each believer is a part of His church and His bride, as we are purified so is His church.
Just as He appeared to James and John (Mark 9) when He was "transfigured", as His clothing became so radiantly white "such as no launderer on earth can whiten them," His church, His bride will be equally without blemish or spot!

When we are born-again, we are "justified," by Him, that is, we are placed into the position of holiness, we are "set free from sin" (Romans 6) yet we will still sin.
If that were not true, the Apostle Paul would not have explained what must be done in order to walk with Him. In Colossians 3, he says, "your life is hidden with Christ in GOD" then he tells us we are to "put to death" in our minds and bodies those things that bring GOD's wrath, things like fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, covetousness, idolatry, anger wrath, malice blasphemy, filthy language and lying. And as we endeavor to do that we are to renew ourselves "according to the image of Him who created Him."

It is by and through His Word that we do this! (Hebrews 4:12)

And it is by and through His Word that we all can build on the foundation of "gold, silver and precious stones" rather than "wood, hay and stubble."
When we received His Word as the ultimate truth, and we propagate that truth, depending on His Holy Spirit to guide us, those things we build will stand the test.
Everything we do should be held up in the light of His Word.

But if we substitute other things for the foundation; fantasies, words of men, traditions, the value of what we have built will be shown by the refiner's fire.

In Isaiah 2:17 the prophet said, "The loftiness of man shall be bowed down, and the haughtiness of men shall be brought low; The LORD alone will be exalted in that day."

Many things that we do and say throughout our lives are frivolous and often hurtful. The fact that we have all been guilty of such things doesn't make it any less sinful.
When we depart from His Word (Philippians 4:8-9) and instead of thinking and saying those things that are "of good report," those things that are "praiseworthy," and when we forget that everything we do should be for His glory, we are on a very slippery slope!

In John 14, Jesus said, "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments."

And just before He was crucified, our Savior prayed the most wonderful of prayers to our Heavenly Father.
John records His words for us in John 17
Of all the prayers that have ever been prayed, it is vital to understand that His prayers were heard and answered in our lives just as Christ Jesus prayed for us, as He said, "I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word" (vs 20) and He finished His prayer with these words, "And I have declared to them Your Name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them."

No one can be certain that everything they have done will remain on the Day of The LORD.
But not knowing should not keep us from trying.
Not with our own strength but His, for He said that He has given us all things that pertain to life and to godliness. 2 Peter 1:2-3
And always remembering that as the Apostle Paul said to the believers in Thessalonica (1 Thessalonians 2) we too have "received the Word of GOD," welcoming it not just as "the words of men, but as it is in truth, the Word of GOD" which works in us (Hebrews 4:12) who believe in Him. 

Jesus purifies and refines his church by the washing with water through the word of God.

Jesus purifies and refines us through the baptism with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

On the Day that fire will test our deeds; I pray that by the grace of God I will not have anything that remains, besides my salvation.

Jesus purifies and refines his church by the way that we believe in Him. If a person doesn’t believe in the gospel then they will probably leave or not come at all. He purifies and refines us by the troubles that we sometimes go through. If we believe in him, we can give our troubles to Him and let Him carry them for us. On the Day that fire tests our deeds the only thing that will remain will be our salvation. We do deeds because we love Jesus and it has nothing to do with salvation.

• 2 years later...

Jesus purifies and refines his church through trials or afflictions; sometimes through persecutions. He does this so that we will put Him first in our lives and go to Him for help instead of trying to rely on ourselves or others.  He refines us personally through causing us to have to care for others before ourselves like family or other people we know. He does this so that it drives out any impurities we might have or hidden sins. Like selfishness, pride, jealousy, anger, hatred and strife. He wants his church to be pure and holy and unblemished. He wants his church to have a passionate love for Him first and then others. He does this to get rid of any fears we might have so we trust him implicitly.

I think there are some things that will stand the test of fire and some that might not. Right now, He is causing me to think over my actions and see where I am getting with them. I want to use my talents for Him again but first I must give over my addiction. I want to have something to show for my life here.

Through various trials, sufferings and temptations that we go through. Learning to serve others rather than self.It is also through God taking away things that have become idols to us as well. Yes I will.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:44 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.  Jesus purifies and refines his church through the preaching and the teaching of the Word of God. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. (John 15:3-4)

b.  He purifies and refines us by the hearing of the Word of God and the working of the Holy Spirit in our lives.

c.  I subject myself to the mercy and grace of God and the my deeds are not just wood, hay or stubble but that my work would be of value and pleasing to God. That my works would not be the works of the flesh but lead by the Spirit of God.

• 1 year later...

Through various trials the church goes through and tests. He does this in our own lives. The things we go through help builds our faith in him and trust in him alone. It helps make us better people. It helps prepare us for his return. Jesus wants us to have clean hearts and be clean vessels to be used for service. Jesus wants us to live holy lives and he purifys us and refines us so we can live and be that way.

On that great day I hope that I won't. It starts right here where I am at in this life. So I will need to judge my own self and make sure that I am following The Lord and doing things for the right reasons. It is not always about the quantity because each of us have different calls and amounts of work to accomplish according to what God gives us. But, the quality of work is what matters. We can do alot of things and it ends up amounting to not much of anything but what matters most is the quality. We want to finish with an A plus in the end.