JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. God's Promise

• 3 months later...
On 6/10/2016 at 12:38 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Joshua 1:5b) Why is God’s promise to be always with Joshua so important to him? Why is this promise so important to you in your present situation? If God is with you, what limitations do you have?

Q2 a, Joshua had seen Moses' weakness and frailty shored up by the Lord's Presence and power as the only means of leading the unruly and rebellious Israelites for 40 years. I believe Joshua recognized that he had weakness and frailty as well, and that success was only possible and contingent upon God's abiding and guiding nearness.

b. Without this promise I would succumb to fears which crippled me emotionally for many years. Early in my walk with Jesus, He gave me this promise, and also Ps 46:10: "Be still and know that I AM God."  When I was asked to lead a Bible Study group in the early years, this promise told me that He would lead the group through me, and though I thought I would have to pull to the side of the road feeling like I would throw up from the fear on my way to the church, His promise got me there  every week, and the fear diminished as I saw how faithfully He showed up in every situation, and gave me courage and wisdom. Later when I was asked to lead the leaders, I was able to step into that role because I knew He wouldn't abandon me. Several years later when I was asked to write a block of the lessons for the next year I was terrified at the responsibility, but I accepted the task because of His promise....and when I was stymied at times, He would nudge me awake at night and I'd "hear" "This is the direction I want you to go on this lesson". Or "Ask this question" about a difficult to understand passage of scripture. I felt silly when praised at the end of the year, because I knew He had written the lessons while I was just the scribe with the pen. 

So in my present situation with family members fighting cancer, and a brother who has died twice but revived and still in hospital after 3 and a half months, a son living with us who has lost everything but his cat (which has been dying from liver issues for a year but keeps on going) and who are both sleeping on our living room floor in our small apartment while becoming stable. My husband is 77 years old  who still works several days a week at a physically demanding job so we can afford groceries. I'm worn out from the years of struggle, trials and waiting for all that He has promised but on Whom I rely for strength just about every moment of every day. He's my joy and my hope! He never leaves! He can't...He lives in me...He won't because he can't lie!

c. What limitations do I have? I'm limited in just about every area of my life: age, finances, resources, and skills. but I've  learned from past experience with His faithfulness, that "I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me." So though limitations abound, I have no excuses to give up, or to fear, or to believe the lie that "I can't because....." He is more than enough!

God's promise to always be with Joshua is important to him because it is a promise of God's help.  Also, it is a promise to encourage Joshua.

This promise is important to me because I know that whatever I attempt to do God will be with me and nothing is impossible.

Q2. (Joshua 1:5b) Why is God's promise to be always with Joshua so important to him? Q2. (Joshua 1:5b)  Why is this promise so important to you in your present situation? If God is with you, what limitations do you have?

Joshua had the spirit of wisdom upon him, he saw through the eyes of faith a land of hills and valleys, a place where they may drink water of the rain of heaven, a land which the LORD their God cares for, a land where the eyes of the LORD are always upon it from the beginning of the year even unto the end of the year, Joshua's dependence on God included an important key for him to succeed, he was to live entirely to the LORD and it was upon His grace alone that God's "Promise" shall come to pass.

It is important the believer understand why we see the word "IF" in God's Word, and why it often goes hand in hand with God's grace and with His many promises, for it is in that knowledge that we come to understand how important it is we have circumcised hearts that hearken us unto God's commandments to love the LORD God, and to serve him with all of our hearts and with all of our soul, that we also may stand on God's promise to always be with us, that we will have the rain in due season, we will have the first rain and the latter rain, for it is in that "PROMISE" that Joshua was able to succeed.

It must have been immensely important for Joshua to know that God was with him.  Without the mighty hand and miraculous events by God he would not have defeated his enemies.  Even when the requests seemed impossible, like to ask that the sun stand still, he knew the Lord was with him.  He was able to be courageous and confident because he knew the Lord went before him, and the victory was already his.  Even when we fail, just like the Israelites failed, He does not forsake us.  

Israel had just come out of 40 years wandering in the wilderness and 400 years of slavery  in Egypt before that . They had absolutely no experience in battle  , no combat  training . They had been  totally dependent upon God to this point ,and had  seen God's provision in the wilderness , his miracles and power in delivering them out of Egypt and through the Red Sea , so to know  that God would be with them gave them confidence and assurance that He would give them the land just as He promised .  

Faith in God and His promises is not a Leap in the dark or wishful thinking , I hope it works out . I hope God comes through . It is not just jumping up in the air and hope that you land on your feet . God leads us  step by step . We read of God's faithfulness in the wilderness for example , how he led His people and protected them and provided for them . Our faith in God grows also  through experience as He brings circumstances into our lives to test and strengthen our Faith so that we believe more and more in Him . 

James 1:2-4 (NASB)

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various [a]trials,knowing that the testing of your faith produces [b]endurance. And let[c]endurance have its perfect [d]result, so that you may be [e]perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

1 Peter 1:6-7 (NASB)

In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various [a]trials, so that the[b]proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which [c]is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

If God is with us ( and as believers in Jesus as Lord and Saviour , He abides in us through the indwelling Holy Spirit) , then as long as we are following and obeying Him we have no limitations .

Blessing's to All.

I believe it's important to Joshua (as with us) because of the great responsibility of leading such a multitude of people can be overwhelming in any stance. Knowing g or having the assurance that God will Always be there Never leaving or Forsaking him or us gives that encouragement and umph we need at to.es, and so often don't not get. Joshua sat under a great man "Moses" and saw all and maybe was wondering "Can I fill his shoes, leading these people". He is on hi own and the promise from God builds and lifts him to the strength he needs to go forth. It is important to me, because when ever I am low on fuel and the promise gives me strength \o/ and it lifts me up. His Words through the Bible, this lesson, people, you all, Dr. Ralph, a devotional, a prompt or whisper can make All the difference in what you're going through. It has that umph to lift you and give you a rested assurance and peace. 

It's important to Joshua because God made a promise Be would never leave him or forsake him.  I got to have God with me at all time because I came make it through things in life without Him. If God is with me I have no limitation.

God's promise to always be Joshua is important because Joshua and the Israelites had come through and seen so much.  Joshua had been with Moses and seen how Moses commanded.  God made him a promise even when Joshua felt the burden was heavy God told him he would never leave him or forsake him.  He did not do either.  Joshua put his faith in God and God kept his promise.   This is important to me in my situation because I walk by faith.  I believe in God. I keep my eyes on him. He never promised me a day without pain but he promised me if I believed in him I would have eternal life.   If God is with me as long as I walk with my Lord I have no limitations.

It is true that God does not change and does not compromise his covenant with the children of Israel.  The statement “I will never leave you nor forsake you” should not be a reason for us to think that God’s love is unconditional.

We must remember that God has punished the children of Israel numerous times, even allowing the destruction of the temple of Jerusalem.

Due to the disobedience of the children of Israel, God has let his curse on them to be fulfilled and scattered them to all nations in the world, where they must suffer greatly until the End Time.

Deuteronomy 28: 15-68

15  But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:

16  Cursed shalt thou be in the city, and cursed shalt thou be in the field.

17  Cursed shall be thy basket and thy store.

18  Cursed shall be the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy land, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep.

19  Cursed shalt thou be when thou comest in, and cursed shalt thou be when thou goest out.

20  The LORD shall send upon thee cursing, vexation, and rebuke, in all that thou settest thine hand unto for to do, until thou be destroyed, and until thou perish quickly; because of the wickedness of thy doings, whereby thou hast forsaken me.

47  Because thou servedst not the LORD thy God with joyfulness, and with gladness of heart, for the abundance of all things;

48  Therefore shalt thou serve thine enemies which the LORD shall send against thee, in hunger, and in thirst, and in nakedness, and in want of all things: and he shall put a yoke of iron upon thy neck, until he have destroyed thee.

58  If thou wilt not observe to do all the words of this law that are written in this book, that thou mayest fear this glorious and fearful name, THE LORD THY GOD;

59  Then the LORD will make thy plagues wonderful, and the plagues of thy seed, even great plagues, and of long continuance, and sore sicknesses, and of long continuance.

61  Also every sickness, and every plague, which is not written in the book of this law, them will the LORD bring upon thee, until thou be destroyed.

62  And ye shall be left few in number, whereas ye were as the stars of heaven for multitude; because thou wouldest not obey the voice of the LORD thy God.

63  And it shall come to pass, that as the LORD rejoiced over you to do you good, and to multiply you; so the LORD will rejoice over you to destroy you, and to bring you to nought; and ye shall be plucked from off the land whither thou goest to possess it.

64  And the LORD shall scatter thee among all people, from the one end of the earth even unto the other; and there thou shalt serve other gods, which neither thou nor thy fathers have known, even wood and stone.

68  And the LORD shall bring thee into Egypt again with ships, by the way whereof I spake unto thee, Thou shalt see it no more again: and there ye shall be sold unto your enemies for bondmen and bondwomen, and no man shall buy you.

Paul has warned us the Christian gentiles, “the grafted wild olive branches”:

Romans 11: 17-21

17  And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;

18  Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.

19  Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.

20  Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

21  For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

Christ was first sent to preach the Good News to the lost children of Israel, not to the gentiles.

Mat 15:24  But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

He initially instructed his disciples not to preach to the gentiles:

Mat 10:5  These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:

Mat 10:6  But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

The purpose for the Good News to be preached to the gentiles is to bring back the children of Israel to God.  That is the reason for Christ to send Paul to preach the Good News to the gentiles.

Romans 11: 1-16

1  I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

2  God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,

3  Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.

4  But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.

5  Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

11  I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.

12  Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?

13  For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:

14  If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.

15  For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?

16  For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.

Therefore, we the gentile Christians, should not boast about our faith in Christ while doing away with God’s commandments and his law.

God is LOVE, but He is also JUSTICE, and only by obedience and observance of God’s commandments and his law that anyone can express his true love to God, and be worthy of the sacrifice of redemption that Christ has given to those who believe in Him.

Psa 89:14  Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before thy face.

Psa 119:142  Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy law is the truth.

Mal 2:5  My covenant was with him of life and peace; and I gave them to him for the fear wherewith he feared me, and was afraid before my name.

Mal 2:6  The law of truth was in his mouth, and iniquity was not found in his lips: he walked with me in peace and equity, and did turn many away from iniquity.

Psa 119:97  MEM. O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.

Psa 119:113  SAMECH. I hate vain thoughts: but thy law do I love.

Psa 119:163  I hate and abhor lying: but thy law do I love.

Psa 119:165  Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

Rom 13:8  Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

Gal 5:14  For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Mat 5:17  Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Joshua was faithful in striving to keep the Law, and in trusting in God. As a consequence he won great victories, conquering the enemies in the land. Joshua means ‘deliverer’ or ‘saviour’. He typified Christ, who with the church (the people believing in the Word of God), will constitute the Great Deliverer who is the only way for the children of Israel and the gentiles to come back to the Father, and to build the Kingdom of Heaven on earth.

For conclusion, it is not right for Christian churches to do away God’s commandments and his law, because how can one show his obedience to God and doing his will in this life.  We can only expect God to keep his promise of forgiveness of sin through Christ, if we also respect his commandments and his law.

On 6/10/2016 at 0:38 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Joshua 1:5b) Why is God’s promise to be always with Joshua so important to him? Why is this promise so important to you in your present situation? If God is with you, what limitations do you have?

The affirmation of His presence must have given Joshua assurance, that as God had been with Moses, He would be with him. Like us, Joshua was--man...it is not good for man to be alone.  We are made this way.  Leadership in particular, but everyone, in general, needs God's presence.  When we recognize ourselves for who we are--dependent creatures, we are in need of help, partnership and the resources of the Creator.  Right now I am in desperate need of wisdom and guidance for my work as well as my family.  This help, I need from HIs presence.  Also to accomplish the mission of reaching my world is impossible without Him being with me. But "with Him" all things are possible.

On 6/10/2016 at 0:38 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

God’s promise to be always with Joshua was so important to him because it boosted his confidence that in this new position as lead of so many people, the God who was with them and brought them from Egypt to the present is still with them and they continued the journey.

For me and every other Believer this promise is very important in every situation.  Knowing that God is with us takes away the feeling that you have to depend on yourself, "the arm of flesh" and leaves you always in doubt of being successful.  Knowing that God is with you, your limitations is begins where you do not trust Him to be Sovereign God.

Q2. (Joshua 1:5b) 
Why is God's promise to be always with Joshua so important to him? 
Why is this promise so important to you in your present situation? 
If God is with you, what limitations do you have? 

Joshua knew he faced a massive and dangerous task, but he also knew that it was God’s command that had to be obeyed.
God never gives impossible commands. Just the fact that He commands it is proof that He will make it possible. 
Without God’s promise of help it would have been a daunting task. 
He must have felt tremendous encouragement in knowing that the Lord will never leave him nor forsake him. 
What a promise! A promise of Divine presence, protection, and blessing throughout his life!
It is the same with us. What peace and comfort we receive knowing our Heavenly Father is always near and that He will never abandon us. 
He will be there with us through thick and thin; through all our trials and temptations. 
What joy to know His unfailing faithfulness and feel His love. 
Having God on our side, there can be no limitations.
He is infinite and sovereign. Perfect and all powerful in every way. 
Nothing whatsoever takes place apart from His plan and His rule.

Q 2. Why is God's promise to be always with Joshua so important to him? Joshua had the opportunity to watch God using Moses to lead the Children of Israel during  their   exodus out of Egypt, the miracles that God blessed Israel through Moses during their forty years in the desert, up until Moses' death. Joshua was a first hand witness of God's faithfulness to Moses' and the Children of Israel. God's promise to Joshua to always be with him was complete reassurance that the Israelites would be sucessfull in taking the land that God promised to his forefather Abraham, as well as Moses. Joshua had always been a courageous warrior, but With God's promise, Joshua knew that he and the Israelites would be divinely protected.  

Why is this promise so important to you in your present situation? The promise that God made to Joshua is a promise that I can believe God for myself. When I look back over my life and the trials and tribulations that I have endured (most of which were due to my own disobedience), I recognized that God was with through all of it. I am so grateful for His faithfulness and loyalty. I am thankful for His mercy, His grace, and His great Love for me. 

If God is with you, what limitatons do you have?  The only limitations that I would have would be the ones that I put on myself by not going out to take back what the enemy has stolen.  I must make the active move by faith. Afterall,  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Q2. (Joshua 1:5b) Why is God's promise to be always with Joshua 

so important to him? Why is this promise so important to you in 

your present situation? If God is with you, what limitations do you have?

1.  God meant it to encourage Joshua on the day that his leadership 

began in earnest. He wanted Joshua to know that he would never be 

alone when doing his will. It also lets Joshua know regardless of what 

the situation is or how he feels God will always be there. He can

always trust God.

2. It is strength to me, it lets me know that I am not alone and that 

God sees everything. He will help me in whatever the situation is.

3. None as long as I am doing his will.

God told Joshua after the death of Moses to get ready to lead the Isrealites across the River Jordan. He further on Joshua to be strong and courageous and not to be discouraged. He also said he will be with Joshua as he was with Moses as encouraging statements. God obviously knew Joshua more and knew that He had to provide Joshua assurance that He the Lord was with him. He wanted Joshua to assume the position given to him without fear of anyone. It is said if God be for us who can be against us? No one.

In my case it gives me complete assurance and strength in knowing that the Lord my God is with me and therefore there is absolutely no reason for panic or fear for My Lord is the Mighty God in battle.

Since God is with me in the positive sense, I do not have any limitations for I can do all things through Him that strengthens me. Now looking at it from the worldly view, we realize that our ego, our own will, will make us suffer simply because we have to exercise patience and wait on the Lord's time for everything.

Q2. (Joshua 1:5b) Why is God's promise to be always with Joshua so important to him? Why is this promise so important to you in your present situation? If God is with you, what limitations do you have?

Leadership demands more than character and experience. The chapter of the book Joshua's name makes it clear that the leader's relationship with God is crucial. Joshua had basic spiritual resources that are ours as well. He used the divine resources would make the difference between victory and defeat. The promise helps me move forward without fear.

With God everything is possible

On 6/10/2016 at 2:38 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

To strengthen Joshua's faith, God has promised to always be with him. This is why God's promise is so important to him, he must lead the Hebrew's into the promised land.

In my present situation it is helpful and encouraging to know that God's spirit is always present with me.

If God is with me, then there are no limitations to me as long as I remain steadfast in my faith and remain obedient to him.  

On 6/10/2016 at 2:38 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Joshua is fearful and new to having all the responsibility on his shoulders.  Following God has not always made him popular among people and it's sometimes very hard to follow God and go against the crowd.

As I struggle to keep my focus on God and his will, it is SO easy to let other things sneak in and they inadvertently take priority over my time with God and His word.  We are so busy and it never seems to slow down and being that way it gets way too easy to go without getting to events and times that we need have to keep us in God's presence and His will.  I know as a very opinionated and firm in my convictions person, I still do better and keep better focus when accountable to a third party, who can help keep my focused as I do the million tasks/duties a single mom of two has, not too mention household and outside immediate household things.

If God is for us, our limitation is ourselves and our faith.  God is consistent, reliable and always equips us with what we need.  The issue is I'm human and get easily sidetracked.  We can't begin to fathom all that God is, but we question his plan and abilities when we doubt ability to have us work in His plan.  God wants us fulfilled and in a relationship with him.  We just doubt and have fear, but God already knows.

God's promise to be always with Joshua is important to him because of the magnitude of the task before him.

And he knew that with only with God's presence and help he will be successful

This promise is also very important to us today, because only with God's presence and help we can live

victorious Christian lives.

If God is with me, there are no limitations to what I can achieve.

Q2 This is a promise to Joshua that each one of us should consider as a life verse.  It is so comforting to know and claim God's promise that he will never depart from us.  We are admonished to be strong (resolute in acting as we know we should) and courageous when facing those situations where our human spirit cowers over our perceived consequences.   

Edited by Grandpa Wally
Still getting used to this format. It should get easier.