JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Fear vs. Courage

Q3. (Joshua 1:6-8) What kinds of things might Joshua be tempted to fear if he were to allow himself to dwell on his anxieties? What does it mean to “be strong and very courageous”? What is the distinction between weakness and strength in Joshua’s situation? What is the relationship between fear and faith? Can you be courageous and still be fearful?

• 3 months later...

On 6/10/2016 at 12:39 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Joshua 1:6-8) What kinds of things might Joshua be tempted to fear if he were to allow himself to dwell on his anxieties? What does it mean to “be strong and very courageous”? What is the distinction between weakness and strength in Joshua’s situation? What is the relationship between fear and faith? Can you be courageous and still be fearful?

3 a. Joshua 1:6-8) What kinds of things might Joshua be tempted to fear if he were to allow himself to dwell on his anxieties?

Joshua was in his 70's....did he fear his body giving out before the battle to conquer the land was complete? Did he fear defeat from the enemy? Did he fear his army would not trust his leadership in the heat of battle, and turn and run? Did he fear battle and bloodshed and losing loved ones? Did he fear being crushed by the responsibility given him or letting God down? Did he fear God might not show up as He never failed to do with Moses? Did he fear being killed in battle and leaving the people without leadership?

3b. What does it mean to be strong and very courageous? 

To be strong and very courageous means: Do what you've been given to do, even while afraid...trusting in God to bring completion and victory. Or in my case, it's put on my big girl panties and stop being a wimp, because the God of the Universe is on my side and never loses a battle! He makes us more than conquerors!

3c. What is the distinction between weakness and strength in Joshua's situation?

Joshua's weakness will be overcome by faith in God's promised presence and strength as he obeys the command of God.

3d. What is the relationship between fear and faith?

They are polar opposites. Although fear is a God given emotion meant to enable us to escape danger or to move us to right wrongs or move in obedience to Him,  the devil attacks and mocks us to try to derail or stop us from doing what God calls us to try to nullify our faith and belief in God. The Lord quickened these verses to me when I was new in the Lord, and emphasized "do not be dismayed" so I looked up its meaning:
"To disable with alarm, depress the sprits of, or courage of. It is to appall, horrify, daunt, and means to unnerve and arrest in action...it implies loss of power to proceed because one is balked by terror or great perplexity. It implies an overwhelming paralyzing dread or terror and impotence when one is confronted by that which confounds yet which one is unable to altar."  (It's the loud roar of our enemy hoping we don't remember that he has only the power we allow him to have, and that he is "toothless, declawed" and impotent and entirely defeated by the Blood of Jesus)

Faith is believing in what God says, regardless of what the circumstances tell us is "reality" and then acting on His word.

3e. Can you be courageous and still be fearful?

Yes, courage isn't the absence of fear, it's moving forward and trusting God with the outcome in spite of the fear. Having no fear is fearlessness....not courage;  or another way of saying that is "Doing it while afraid."

(Joshua 1:6-8) What kinds of things might Joshua be tempted to fear if he were to allow himself to dwell on his anxieties? What does it mean to “be strong and very courageous”? What is the distinction between weakness and strength in Joshua’s situation? What is the relationship between fear and faith? Can you be courageous and still be fearful?

Joshua might be tempted to fear if he was allowed himself to dwell on his anxieties that people won't approve, fear that he'll fail, fear that he'll make a fool out of himself, fear that he wasn't strong enough, fear that God will let him down.

To be strong and very courageous mean to have faith in the promises of God.  That when problems come God will be there to help you.

Weakness and strength in Joshua's situation is that he may be fearful but he draws strength because he knows that God will be with him.

Fear is a human emotion that will come in life situations.  Faith is believing that God will do what he says he will do to help you overcome those life situations. 

You can be courageous and still be fearful.

Joshua will be tempted not to go into battle to take over the lands God told him to. He will feel that he will fail the mission. Faith is believing the promise so much that we are strong and courageous when the problem come. They are opposites, fear is lack of faith and no strength (weak). Faith is strength and courageous.

We should be very much fearful if we disobey God’s commandments and do away with his law.  We can see that our society is degrading and going into damnation.  We are experiencing the consequences of not respecting God’s law.

There is nothing in this world that can give us true peace and joy, if we are not submitting ourselves to God.  God’s law is our protection in this world.

God’s law and commandments tell us what is right and what is wrong in this life. They act as a compass and a guide for us so that we can know how to live and act rightly in this life. God has given his law and commandments for our own good and for our own protection, for without them, we would just keep falling into one pit after another.

Matthew 19:

16  And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17  And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

“Be strong and courageous” by itself is an empty encouragement.  We should read the next verse of Joshua 1 to discover the truth.  The power that keeps Joshua strong and fearless is:

Jos 1:7  Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.

Christian churches are leading their followers astray by preaching that God’s commandments and his law are only for Israel children, so they can just profess their faith in the name of Christ and can go on their own way of life.

LOVE is not salvation by itself.  Christians are being deceived by adhering into the falsehood of “loving one another” and boasting themselves in charitable works.

The Christian churches are using LOVE as a reason to convince followers that they must accept all pagan religions through the ecumenical campaign to promote UNITY and PEACE in the world.  The next step of promoting love is the acceptance of the LGBTI minority group and their rights of marriage.

Truly, Christian faith can only be secured and strong if Christians fear God.  To fear God is obeying and observing his commandments and his law.  Therefore the sensible Christians would keep God’s commandments and his law, because they are the “oil of the lamp” that can guide them through the darkness of this world.

Pro 6:23  For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life

Edited by ducminh
Added 1 line at the end of the text.

On 6/10/2016 at 0:39 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Joshua, I expect would have easily feared failure and a sense of adequacy.  Moses failed to enter the promised land as did Aaron.  Joshua had a huge responsibility to lead more than a million people through many obstacles of faith as well as relational, mental and physical.  

To be strong means to take inventory of your assets and put them forward in the situation at hand; to be courageous means to take the next step forward when facing fears.  

Joshua, in order to be strong, would have required remembering what God had done, what He had promised then trusting and obeying the commands given.  Mostly Joshua needed His presence--relational strength.  Fear comes when we lack faith in God.  Fear can also serve as a sign that we need to restock our faith...return to what God has said and done, return to Him for help and strength.  

Until we have perfect faith, possibly not until we see Him face to face, we will likely have fears.  There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. 1 John 4:18 We must continue to return to Him to gain strength and take that next step--exercise courage to overcome fears.

On 6/10/2016 at 0:39 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The kinds of things that Joshua might be tempted to fear if he were to allow himself to dwell on his anxieties are fear of being overthrown by the people, fear of the armies of the surrounding nations to enslave them,  fear of not being like Moses, etc.  To “be strong and very courageous” means to cast away fear and fully trust that in God's providence you will be successful in all that you do. The distinction between weakness and strength in Joshua’s situation is trusting in self versus trusting in God. The relationship between fear and faith is unbelief.  You cannot be courageous and still be fearful.  Being fearful strips away courage little by little until you are so fearful that you don't even try.

Fear. Perhaps Joshua might have have feared failure. This was a big undertaking. Joshua was going to put the people at risk by taking them over the Jordan. It would have

Q3. (Joshua 1:6-8) What kinds of things might Joshua be tempted to fear if he were to allow himself to dwell on his anxieties?

Much is made of how Joshua, having been Moses' aide, would have been encouraged by Moses' faith and leadership example. But there's another side to all that. Joshua would have also seen Moses' frustrations, fears, his overwhelming responsibilities that at times looked like they would crush him, the rebellions (they are plural) of the Israelites, and many other things. As the time approached for Joshua to take over, all that would've been on his mind all the time. Whenever we attempt to push forward, in come the fears to make us doubt we'll succeed.

At times when I suffer serious depression and anxiety, I wake up in the morning feeling fine . . then like an onrushing express train, all the worries and problems seem to race into my mind and that sets the tone for another miserable day. It's like a waterfall filling a coffee cup. Instantly full. So I start my day by praying to God to help me through all that. I need to focus on positive things and on God's promises. I'd imagine that Joshua had to do exactly that. Constantly reminding himself of God's promises to him.

What does it mean to “be strong and very courageous”?

That word from God Himself means to be strong in HIS strength and let our faith give us courage. Self-confidence is no confidence if it's not based on a reliance on God's provision. If we take the stance of: It's OK God, I got this . . we're setting ourselves up to fail. In my job as a professional musician, it's not enough to just be a good guitarist. For a gig to be successful people need to show up to attend the gig; they have to like my music; I have to get on well with everyone; any number of circumstances have to happen for the night to be seen as a success. The only thing I have any control over is being a good guitarist. I've done my practice. Even then, I depend on God to help me remember the words, chords, solos, starts and finishes, etc. Every other condition is dependent on God's provision. Therefore I cover myself in prayer on the way to every single show I play. 

Joshua's situation is like that but magnified a thousand-fold. Of course we see in the Bible that God gave Joshua His Spirit, without which he couldn't possibly succeed.God doesn't give you a job to do without equipping you to do it.

What is the distinction between weakness and strength in Joshua’s situation?

In Joshua's situation, weakness is the natural human condition without the help of Almighty God. Strength is found in reliance on God's empowering Spirit. "Not by might or by power, but by My Spirit" says the LORD. Zechariah 4:6.

What is the relationship between fear and faith?

In my case, the greater the fear, the greater the need for faith! No doubt Joshua felt the same way.

Can you be courageous and still be fearful?

Courage is NOT the absence of fear, but the ability to continue to press on despite fear.

Q3. (Joshua 1:6-8) 
What kinds of things might Joshua be tempted to fear if he were to allow himself to dwell on his anxieties? 
What does it mean to "be strong and very courageous"? 
What is the distinction between weakness and strength in Joshua's situation? 

Joshua was no doubt unsettled by the prospects of facing strong hostile armies – military actions that would surely involve significant risk. 
There was also the question of crossing the Jordan River while it was in flood; it was a time when the river, being a rapid river, overflowed its banks (Joshua 3:15). 
If this was not daunting enough, he was told to lead his people. They were an obstinate people – grumbling about food, water, safety, and rules. 
Questioning Moses’ leadership, threatening to stone him, and even rebelling against God Himself. 
So, leading the Israelites out of the wilderness would be a massive task with great responsibility.
He was, however, a man of great faith and courage, determined to obey God no matter what. 
Any uncertainty was replaced by boldness and purpose. He placed his faith in God, the One who had never let the people down. 
Joshua fully expected the Lord to be true to His word again and deliver them to the Promised Land.
He would encounter giants and fortified cities, but God’s presence would make all the difference.
Joshua probably had times when he felt weak, inadequate, and frightened. 
But God knew all about his feelings of personal weakness and fear and told Joshua three times - Be strong and courageous. 
God also urged him not to be afraid or discouraged. 
Joshua’s courage was based upon years of seeing God’s faithfulness and upon His Word. 
In the end it was the assurances of God – God’s promise, God’s power, and God’s presence that give him the strength to be victorious. 
The Lord pledged that He would be with the Israelites in the new land, never leaving or forsaking them. 
God promised to take care of the enemy before the Israelites arrived. 
They still faced battles, but He assured them of victory if they had faith and obeyed Him. 
When we put our trust or faith in our own resources or the abilities of someone else rather than in God, then we expose ourselves to all sorts of fears or anxieties. 
In doing so, we are governed by fear rather than faith. 
Yes, we can be courageous and still be fearful. It is only when we trust our Lord with all our heart and lean not on our own understanding that faith replaces fear. 
He has not given us a spirit of fear. Instead, He intends for us to live with His power, His love, and His self-control.
Like Joshua, we face daily obstacles that seem to push our faith to the breaking point. 
And yet, it is in the throes of adversity that God perfects our faith (James 1:2-4). 
When we refuse to follow Him into risky situations, the results can be devastating to our spiritual growth. 
We must remember, that through Jesus, our spiritual battle has already been won. 
Our redemption has been eternally secured, our place in God’s family permanently established, and our heavenly inheritance guaranteed.

Q3. (Joshua 1:6-8) What kinds of things might Joshua be tempted to fear if he were to allow himself to dwell on his anxieties?
I believe Joshua would have been filled with great anxiety if he did not have strong "faith" in his God, the God of Israel, instead of anxiety, excitement was in the heart of Joshua for he knew the faithful and living God and he believed He would give this land to His people, Joshua reasoned, if the Lord delights in us, then He will bring us into the land. (I have to wonder if what Joshua feared the most was the contentious and negative attitude of the others, for it was an attack on God, the giver of the land)

Q4. What does it mean to "be strong and very courageous"?
Be strong and very courageous is God's encouraging words for Joshua to continue on in faith believing, the word "strong" means to "fasten upon" - as long as Joshua stays fastened upon his God, he will be strong and very courageous.

Q5. What is the distinction between weakness and strength in Joshua's situation?
A distinction between weakness and strength was illustrated when 10 spies came back with a evil report saying, they are much "stronger" than we are, we are like grasshoppers in their sight, there is no way for us to stand up against such a people; what the report described was the weak spiritual state of these men, their report was void of faith and it spread fear to the people who also were lacking in faith. (It is important we surround ourselves with people of same mind)
Strength was seen when Caleb and Joshua gave a good report, a report full of faith in the living and faithful God they serve, faith reporting that their God is all powerful and He would give it to the people only if they not rebel against the LORD nor fear the people of the land.

Q6. What is the relationship between fear and faith?

Fear is a basic human emotion that equips us with survival instincts necessary for us to respond when we sense danger or feel unsafe, there are many issues in the world and in our lives that can bring great “FEAR” to our hearts and the worst thing we can do is to pretend they are not there, the spies were correct in reporting that the people of the land were mighty and strong, however, because their report was void of faith, void of things hoped for, what they saw plagued them with defeat and great fear.  

It is most important we become grounded in the word for “FAITH” comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Q. Can you be courageous and still be fearful?
If we are lacking in courage it might be because we do not “Fear the LORD God” and observe to do all He commands, His laws are not a yoke for they are written on the heart, this is how we delight ourselves in the Lord our awesome and fearful God.

Blessing's to all here,

I believe Joshua would have been overwhelmed with such a great responsibility and the thought of filling the shoes of such a great man as Moses. There would've been doubt, fear, street, depression and the fact that Moses was gone would've been enough to be shaking in his sandals.

To 'Be strong and courageous' means to be confident in your decisions within your own mind, to keep moving forward "No Matter What" because God gives us the promise, and He always follows up with instructions or commands of what we ate to do. So, with that we are to 'Walk in Faith knowi g we have the Victory.

The distinction I would say is in understanding and recognizing whatvlies in you. I am reminds of Paul in 2nd Corinthians 12:9 where our strength comes from the LORD when we are weak or in our weaknesses. Joshua knew and had seen both in his walk with Moses and the LORD.

The relationship between fear and faith, is unbelief, doubt, confidence and faith. In order to stand on Faith we need to First Address Issues That Hinder us to move forward in confidence. 

Hmmm. To be courageous is to be determined in one's decision, where fear brings doubts. So, I will say 'no'. The only Fear we are to have is of the LORD.

On 6/11/2016 at 1:09 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

The fears Joshua might be tempted I think are foremost all these 40 years they are wandering and tired and all are eagerly waiting to occupy the promised land, Now he is a new leader everybody should follow his command and should not rebel, secondly these people are very disobedient to God and his commands itself, weather they will follow his commands at the right time.

Being a leader now and more so God has chosen him he is **** sure that what ever God says if he does the victory will be his, even though at 70 years he may not physically strong but spiritually he is very strong because he can smell victory in the Gods promise fulfillment  to their forefathers is so close, that is giving him the courage that is Gods promises cannot go wrong.

In Joshua's case the weakness is trusting his fellow men and making them obey his commands weather they do or not and moreover he himself is one of the oldest among them, His main strength is that he knows God is with him and When God is with who can defeat him, with this he got courage to move ahead by encouraging to march ahead with  young Israeli  worriers.

The fear of lord is the base for  possessing all the blessing, here the fear and faith are going hand in hand that is Joshua's faith in God that when we believe and trust Him he will do miracles in our life. The courage here comes from the faith that our Lord never fails those who believe in him and have faith in Him, and fearfulness of the following the lords commands in our lives.

Joshua if left on his own would have probably feared rejection by his fellow countrymen, he might have feared to fail, he might have seen the task of fighting the occupants of the promised land a difficult if not impossible task.

What does it mean to “be strong and very courageous”? 

To be strong and very courageous in this context mean to have complete Faith in the finished work of our Lord Almighty. When the Lord speaks it is done for he is not a man who would change his words.

What is the distinction between weakness and strength in Joshua’s situation?

Weakness in this dispensation would mean the inability to act as commanded by God and strength would be to stand up to the full complete command and do the job requested with absolute boldness.

The relationship here is that fear is a dangerous element that can destroy even the strongest man and faith on the other hand is a powerful element that empowers every man. When you have faith in the Almighty God, you do not fear anything.

Yes, this is very true that one can be courageous but still fearful. There are situations that people do something possing as if they were very courageous and later confess that they had some fear or doubt in them.

Joshua's new job was to lead more than 2 million people into the promised land. A land they had to conquer first.  The people were a mighty people by the spies accounts and much bigger than they were.  They terrain was different than they were used to.  Joshua had faith in God.  God was with them.  Being strong and courageous to me means COMPLETE faith, no doubts what so ever!

I believe one can be afraid.  But, as long as the fear is taken to God in prayer.  All things should be taken to God in prayer.  Ask in his name for courage and strength to see you through the difficult time.  The courage to stand up to what you need to fight the fear and the strength to go on..

One can be courageous and still be fearful.  It keeps you cautious.  But walk in faith with God.

Joshua would have feared the height and strength of the people in the land and also their fighting weapons. To be strong and courageous is not to fear at all and don't look at your own weaknesses.  In Joshua's situation strength always overcome fear. If you are fearful you won't be courageous,  only faith gives courage.

Q3. (Joshua 1:6-8) What kinds of things might Joshua be tempted 

to fear if he were to allow himself to dwell on his anxieties? What does

it mean to "be strong and very courageous"? What is the distinction 

between weakness and strength in Joshua's situation? What is the 

relationship between fear and faith? Can you be courageous and still 

be fearful?

1. He wil have fear of people, fear that people won't approve, fear that 

you'll fail, fear that you'll make a fool out of yourself, fear that you 

aren't strong enough, fear that God will let you down. 

2. It is believing that God will do what he says he will do. Not wavering, 

pondering, or thinking through unbelief regarding the promise of God, 

but having strength and being fully persuaded that God has power to do 

hat he had promised. Having enough faith to believe that we are strong and courageous when   problems comeFaith requires courage and strength 

only when we exercise courage and strength, do we maintain our 

belief in any real way.

3. Joshua has worked alongside Moses, and has been on the mountain with 

God, but Joshua still needs encouragement and exhortation. 

He need encouragement to believe that all will be well and that God will 

never leave him or forsake him. We must put our faith in God to

be strong and courageous otherwise we will have fear of people and other 

things. Joshua had to realize he could use his weakness to 

become strong by insisting that he could do it even though it seemed like he 

could not. He had to encourage himself and push forward. 

4. Fear is doubt and faith is belief. Fear is the opposite of faith. Fear 

puts a limt on you and faith gives you strength to go on and do

what is needed. 

5. No, because being courageous is not having fear. It is strong faith. 

Faith requires courage and strength because only when we exercise 

courage and strength, do we maintain our belief in any real way. If at 

the first problem we cave in and give up, we don't have faith, we have 

unbelief.

Q3. (Joshua 1:6-8) What kinds of things might Joshua be tempted to fear if he were to allow himself to dwell on his anxieties? What does it mean to "be strong and very courageous"? What is the distinction between weakness and strength in Joshua's situation? What is the relationship between fear and faith? Can you be courageous and still be fearful?

God's promises are intended to free us to follow the Lord.

Be careful to obey the Law My servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go". Neither discouragement nor fear were to influence Joshua to hesitate or to disobey if Joshua would live in close relationship to the Lord, being responsive and obedient to Him, victory was assured. The leader must be a person who follows. A person strong enough and courageous enough to follow God.

On 6/10/2016 at 2:39 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The things that Joshua may fear if his faith is not strong enough are that the people will not approve of him, that he may fail in his duties as leader and that God will let him down.

To be strong and courageous means that with God's help we will not fail in our abilities to fulfill his will for us.

In Joshua's situation the distinction between weakness and strength is that in his human wisdom he will fail his duties, but with God's promise to be with him he is strengthened to go forward.

The difference between fear and faith is that in fear we are afraid of failing and making fools of ourselves. With faith we know God is with us and he will help us in our time of troubles.

It may be possible to be courageous and fearful at the same time, because having fear of what lies ahead of us things that can physically hurt us and having the courage to go on in faith proves that in our faith in God, regardless of the out come, we go forward to what ever he has commanded us to do.   

Doubt and anxieties is Satan at work at his best.  Joshua would've missed the promise land, the capabilities God gave him as a leader, doubt keeps us from having faith and trust in God and through God all things are possible in His will, but outside of it we struggle, fail and lose our relationship with God.  God knows Satan wants us to fail and we are weak and incapable to go to bat on our own.  Thus, why he came as Jesus to go through the struggles we face and be the sacrifice we could never be.  Being strong and courageous is facing our limitations and doubts but not allowing to stop us from God's plan and the relationship we are to have with him.

Fear is Satan and Faith is God.  We can't serve two Gods, we must constantly choose to do the will of God and strive to build our relationship with Him.  God's the only one who can conquer the world and death.  Satan uses our fears to limit us, but God says we can do all things through Him, who strengths us (Philippians 4:13).

Yes, we will always have obstacles and have doubts and be scared.  We are human, however knowing that we can overcome and do miraculous things through God inside us--we are courageous despite our own limitations---we are limited, God is not!

• 2 weeks later...

The giants in the promised land and the rebellious Israelites

To remain strong in faith that God is with and will fight with and for him for success even when faced with challenges

Fear is the absence of faith

No

Joshua might fear all the things that kept them from entering the promised land before such as the giants in the land or the strength of the cities or armies or even the people who might rebel again and refuse to go in.  He could fear himself as not adequate of a leader. How could he do something Moses couldn't even do?  He could fear changing the status quo.  They had got used to living in the wilderness.  Maybe they would be comfortable here and not want to risk their lives. Joshua could fear the enemy, but he could also fear the people he was leading. They had a reputation of being stubborn and stiff-necked and rebellious, afterall.

Being strong and courageous is trusting in God when you know God's will for your life and people oppose  it.  To stand firm in your faith takes strength,not in horses or chariots, but in your character and resolve to trust and follow God no matter what.  It is doing the right thing because it is the right thing.  It may not be the popular thing, but it is the right thing.  Persecuted Christians show strength and courage when they stand for Jesus no matter what.

The distinction between weakness and strength would be to not trust God's provision and God's victory.  Weakness would be giving in to fear or opinion polls or public pressure or anything contrary to faith in God to do what God asks you to do.  Fear would be going with the flow of pleasing people and not stirring up the pot.  It would be "playing it safe."  You can be courageous in the midst of fear.  Courage is not absent of fear, courage is acting in spite of your fear and doing what needs to be done. I have often been scared to death going into situations that knew not what to do or say. But I give it to God and trusted Him.  My fear actually heightened my sensitivity to hear and follow the leading of the Spirit when I didn't know what to do.

Joshua's confidence was not in his own ability, but in God's ability.

That should apply in my life as well. If it does then I can  have true faith, and live without fear. 

In Joshua 1:8 it clearly says: Their entire lives were to be guided by the law of God. They were to hide the Words of the law in their hearts so they would never forget them. The law had to become part of their very beings. They will prosper and have great success if they keep this law of God.

Only by reading the bible prayerfully and applying what it says can we ever hope to come close.

Joshua had a lot of things that he could fear and they will cause him anxiety such as the people he was leading, the strength of the inhabitants of the land, that is was old and not strong enough to lead the army, not knowing the opponent well, etc. To be strong and courageous means despite knowing all the dangers and risks and possible consequences of one’s action, one pursues that which is necessary to bring about the change with confidence and inner strength. Weakness in Joshua’s situation is not believing God and strength is taking God at his word. Fear increases when one does not believe. It’s possible to be courageous whilst fearful, but faith in God will give you strength to pursue.

The responsibilities would be overwhelming.

His weakness was covered by God's strength.

Faith is trust.  Fear is not trusting.

Yes the fear may still be there, but the motivator is the trust (faith) in the Lord.