JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 3 months later...
On 6/10/2016 at 12:40 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Joshua 1:8) What does it mean to meditate on the Word? What is the difference between Christian meditation and Eastern meditation? How does God work through his Word to renew our minds?

Q4a: What does it mean to meditate on the Word?

It means to read it, ponder what it means and what it's saying to me at this moment in my life and whatever I'm facing. It means to "chew on it"....think about it and allow the Lord to enlighten what He is saying. It can mean to memorize it, and to become familiar with His word. It means to allow the Holy Spirit entrance to our thinking so we think His thoughts.

4b: What is the difference between Christian meditation and Easter meditation? 

Christian meditation is focused on the Word of God allowing Holy Spirit to quicken the meaning to us, whereas Eastern meditation is focused on cultish or non Christian writings,  unknown gods or even on self or achieving "nothingness".

4c.How does God work through His Word to renew our minds?

As we read and meditate on God's word it becomes more and more a part of our thinking. It replaces lies and unbelief with His truth.  It replaces darkness with His light. It replaces teaching we learned from family or in school which is not in alignment with God's Word. It clarifies confusion between right and wrong. It replaces ignorance or "darkness" with wisdom and insight for living. It reveals Who He is and Whose I am...and Who I am in Christ...not who I was told I am by others.

Meditating on the Word means to think about or ponder on what God's Word is actually saying to you. The difference between Christian meditation and Eastern meditation is we study and think on God's Word. Eastern meditation consist on getting on your knees and mumble some words. When we meditate on God's Word more and more, the more we get to know God. Our secular world thinking is transformed by the renewing of our mind.

The Eastern meditation that is largely promoted among Christian churches is the art of the Enlightened Angel (or Lucifer).  This is an old flattery that Adam and Eve were convinced and felt from grace.

Genesis 3: 4-5

4  And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

5  For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

The meaning of the word “meditate” in the Holy Bible is:

H1897 - הָגָה  (hâgâh - haw-gaw')

To murmur (in pleasure or anger); by implication to ponder: - imagine, meditate, mourn, mutter, roar, X sore, speak, study, talk, utter.

Christians practice meditation the word of God by studying and putting into practice God’s commandments and his law.  The Almighty God of Christians is the living God, his Spirit truly lives with every Christian when they live by his word through all aspects of life.  That is the difference between followers of Christ and the pagan world.

Christian’s life is active full of energy, joyful and vivid as it is describe in the following verses:

Psalm 19: 7-14

7  The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

8  The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.

9  The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.

10  More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

11  Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.

12  Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.

13  Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

14  Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Christians do not go into a dark room or a cave to meditate.  They are the bearer of the Word of God, his commandments and his law.  It is by living and abiding to God’s word that Christians make the difference and be the light of the world.

Matthew 5: 14-16

14  Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15  Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

(Joshua 1:8) What does it mean to meditate on the Word? What is the difference between Christian meditation and Eastern meditation? How does God work through his Word to renew our minds?

1)  To meditate on the Word mean to think about, mull over, ponder.  You read and think and try to understand. Asking the questions What? Why? Where? Who? helps to get an understanding. 

2)  The Eastern meditation assumes a lotus position and hum.  They also erase all thoughts from their mind and try to merge their thoughts with the Great Beyond.  Christian meditation is simply think about what you have read and ponder over it.

3)  The more we meditate on God's Word, the more we begin to understand God and the way he thinks. And the more we leave the mindset of our secular world-view, we are "transformed by the renewing of our mind" (Romans 12:2). With this renewal of the mind comes faith, a confidence in God. 

On 6/10/2016 at 0:40 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Joshua 1:8) What does it mean to meditate on the Word? What is the difference between Christian meditation and Eastern meditation? How does God work through his Word to renew our minds?

To meditate on the Word means to give attention to God's Word by seeking full understanding and revelation of what is being said so that our mind is renewed by it.  The difference between Christian meditation and Eastern meditation is our seeking God's revelation of Himself through His word so that we become like Him. God work through his Word to renew our minds by giving us revelation into His mind. 

On 6/10/2016 at 0:40 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

My understanding is that to meditate on the Word is that you think on it--over and over, you allow it to fill your thoughts.  The difference between Christian and Eastern is that in Eastern my understanding is that the goal is to empty your mind of all.  Christian meditation is the opposite, we want to be filled with His Word and Christ by the working of His Spirit.  His Spirit and wisdom come as we think over and over His words, they renew our mind.

Q4. (Joshua 1:8) 
What does it mean to meditate on the Word? 
What is the difference between Christian meditation and Eastern meditation? 
How does God work through His Word to renew our minds? 

Meditation on the Word is a vital part of a healthy, growing relationship with God, and it involves devoting ourselves to the study of God’s Word. 
Remembering that this is not any ordinary book but the very message of God to His people.
If we want to hear His message, then we must dig deep into Scripture; it is also a means of getting to know the Lord better. 
As faithful stewards of this wonderful gift, we must make it an integral part of our lives, and submit to His will. 
We must allow the Word of God to renew our minds and thereby change our lives as we grow in faith and courage. 
As we spend time actively listening to the Lord, He will share His plans for our life. 
As we apply what we have heard, meditation will become more and more instinctive for us. 
Then, we will find that we hear His voice regularly, and find out that God has a special message for us. 
It is only when we take the time to hear what our Heavenly Father is saying that we enjoy the richness of our relationship with Him. 
It is a reverent act of worship. We read: “I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds (Psalm 77:12).”
“I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word (Psalm 119:15-16).”
Christian meditation focuses on our Lord and His Word, whereas Eastern meditation focuses on a “higher form of consciousness” as a way to discover a secret inner divinity.

Q4. (Joshua 1:8) 
What does it mean to meditate on the Word? 
How does God work through His Word to renew our minds? 

In my limited understanding, "Eastern meditation" is a collective term that embraces a variety of techniques including breathing, physical exercises and murmurings to both empty and open the mind and ultimately control the mind. The exercises are said to have many health benefits to mind, body and spirit leading to oneness with the universe. This universe appears to be ill defined and not fully understood.

I suppose  practitioners of eastern meditation  may be considered similar to Christian practitioners  who are yet to fully understand the triune Godhead of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. One may also be tempted to suggest that meditation on the word of God is supposed to produce the similar healthful benefits to mind, body and spirit with speaking in tongues likened to murmurings. And while we totally  agree about the healthful benefits on  Christian meditation, it is so much more.  Christian meditation on the word or in Joshua's case, the Law is to produce knowledge and understanding of God. This initial step builds a closeness with God/Christ which in turn gains the in dwelling of the Holy Spirit and wisdom. The meditation is also geared to  transforming the life of the Christian bringing them closer and closer to the Holiness of God. 

Eastern meditation empties and opens the mind. As nature abhors a vacuum the practitioner is running the risk of occupation by unknown forces that can unwittingly gain control. The eastern meditation also seems to suggest that the successful adherent/practitioner becomes  like unto god. We know what happened to the being in the bible who did the same.  Meditation on God's word leads to life transformation Holy Spirit  and oneness with God as stated by Christ.

Blessing's to All here.

O.K. when we meditate on the Word of God, we are going over in our own mind what He is saying to us, actually repeating His thoughts. We ask ourselves as we ponder o er certain scriptures to get a better understanding of what is being spoken to us. 

The difference between the Eastern and Christian meditation is the thought process, of how they position themselves to receive and ponder over God's Word. 

When God works through His Word to renew our mi d through transformation, He will have a particular scripture speak out at you, that will bring about clarity when one sits and chew on that Word. But, this comes with consistency in His Word. Romans 10:17 as Dr. Ralph brought out in the lesson "Faith comes by hearing the message..." And that's done through the Word of Christ.

Sharing the words of the late Father Henri Nouwen: "Through meditation we can let the words of Jesus descend from our minds into our hearts and create there a dwelling place for the Spirit. Whatever we do and wherever we go, let us stay close to the words of Jesus. They are words of eternal life."  I find that setting aside time each did to first read then just spend quiet time digesting what I read and at times put the words into context of what is happening around me.  when I had a garden found that was a wonderful time to not only meditate but for short prayers also.

1.To meditate on God's word is like a cow chewing its cud:D . meditate on God' word is to  Study , Understand , memorize, apply .

2. Eastern meditation is emptying your mind of all thoughts and creating a oneness with nothing and chanting ohmmm. Christian meditation is emptying your mind of all thoughts and filling it with the word of God and study , understand , memorize it and apply it .

3. " Study to show yourself approved unto God . A workman that needeth not be ashamed , rightly dividing the word of truth. " 2 Timothy 2:15                     .    "All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine , for reproof , for correction , for instruction in righteousness . That the man of God may be perfect , thoroughly furnished unto all good works ." 2 Timothy 3:16-17                                                                                                                                             " Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against Thee, ". Psalm 119:19

We pray and ask God for godly wisdom , knowledge and understanding of his word and as we meditate and study the word of God  , the Holy Spirit helps us to replace negative ungodly thoughts with the word of God.  

Q4. (Joshua 1:8) What does it mean to meditate on the Word?
To meditate on God's "LAW" day and night means to take time to ponder on its meaning, read it often, speak it out loud for what we speak comes from the heart, thereby we will not forget His teachings, for in them we will be like a tree planted by the rivers of water that brings forth good fruit, God’s Law is a light before our path on how to love God, let us meditate on what the “Son of God” spoke to us, “He that has my commandments, and KEEPS them, it is he who loves me:  and he that loves me is loved of my Father.”

These are perks for those who believe and love God.

Q5. What is the difference between Christian meditation and Eastern meditation, and how does God work through his Word to renew our minds?
Eastern meditation calls one to empty their mind and to quiet oneself to the forces around them; Christian meditation is the opposite, it calls us to fill our minds with the Words of God, for God's Word when applied are a "POWERFUL" and life changing source of renewing the mind that we may prove what is good and acceptable, and the perfect will of God.

To meditate on the Word is to ponder and with the help of the Holy Spirit pointing at the God's intent for you to see. 

Christian meditation is different from Eastern meditation because in Christian meditation, we ponder on the word, recall the nature of our God and reason out the God's purpose. On the other hand Eastern meditation has to do with imagination that leads to abstract travels and the likes.

God work through his Word to renew our minds because His Words serves as a plumb line and weighing scale which helps our mind to conform.

Q4. (Joshua 1:8) What does it mean to meditate on the Word?

To meditate in the word of God means to read it slowly over and over again, think about it, memorize it, imagine it and live it. Meditating in the word of God creates the presence of our Lord God around us.

The difference between Christian meditation and Eastern meditation is that Christian meditation is over the word of God, creating a connection to the creator who is Almighty and able to communicate with you through the Holy Spirit, for guidance and direction while Eastern meditation is usually emtying oneself, through quietness, slow breathing, concentration in order to connect to a power that is most often unknown or actually emptiness.

How does God work through his Word to renew our minds? The word of God is life and is living, therefore the word can renew our minds because it is active. John 1:1-4 says ' In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2The same was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4In him was life; and the life was the light of men (www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/John-1-1/)

To meditate on the Word mean to study the Bible not just to read it.  Commit  it to memory, actually think about what you have read.

The difference between Christian mediation and Eastern meditation is that Christian mediation is a filling up of God's Holy Word and meditating on it.  The Eastern meditation is and empting.

God works through his Word  to renew our minds to fill us with his love and his joy. He shows us while we study and meditate how much he loves us and cares for us and each step is exciting.

Q4. (Joshua 1:8) What does it mean to meditate on the Word? 

What is the difference between Christian meditation and 

Eastern meditation? How does God work through his Word 

to renew our minds?

1. To meditate means to think about, mull over, ponder. 

2. Christian meditation involves having the text and a list 

of questions: What? Why? Where? Who? And so you read, 

thinkmull over, ponder, and try to understand what is already 

there. Christian meditation opens the mind to the purposes of 

God by reflection upon Scripture, simply resting in his presence, 

and dwelling with him in the goodness of his creation.

**Eastern meditation is erasing all thoughts from our mind and 

trying to merge our thoughts with the Great beyond? 

Eastern meditation, on the other hand, attempts to empty the mind.

There is an escaping from the miserable wheel of existence. There 

is no God to be attached to or to hear from.

3. God gives us through the renewal of the mind faith, and 

confidence in himGod helps us the more we meditate on his 

Word, so that we can begin to understand him and the way he thinks.

"Faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard 

through the word of Christ." (Romans 10:17)

Joshua was commanded to be strong and very courageous and being careful to obey all the Law of Moses. This command is based on God's power through His Word. This is a stronger exhortation, indicating that greater strength of character would be required to obey meditate on God's Word, faithfully and fully than to win military battles! The emphasis in these verses is clearly on a written body of truth.

God said that to succeed Joshua must (1) be strong and courageous because the task ahead would not be easy, (2) obey God’s law, and (3) constantly read and study the Book of the Law—God’s Word. To be successful, we need to read God’s words and it will renew our minds. When you do that we may not succeed by the world’s standards, but you will be a success in God’s eyes.

On 9/18/2016 at 10:49 PM, JanMary said:

Q4a: It means to read it, ponder what it means and what it's saying to me at this moment in my life and whatever I'm facing. It means to "chew on it"....think about it and allow the Lord to enlighten what He is saying. It can mean to memorize it, and to become familiar with His word. It means to allow the Holy Spirit entrance to our thinking so we think His thoughts.

4b: Christian meditation is focused on the Word of God whereas Eastern meditation is focused on cultish or non Christian writings, or unknown gods or even on self or achieving "nothingness".

4c. As we read and meditate on God's word it becomes more and more a part of our thinking. It replaces lies and unbelief with His truth.  It replaces darkness with His light. It replaces teaching we learned from family or in school which is not in alignment with God's Word. It clarifies confusion between right and wrong. It replaces ignorance or "darkness" with wisdom and insight for living. It reveals Who He is and Whose I am...and Who I am in Christ...not who I was told I am by others.

To meditate on God's word means to ponder, think about and consider his word.

Christians meditate in God's word by pondering, studying and considering his word gives us wisdom and helps us understand who God is. Eastern meditation wants us to assume a lotus position and clear our minds of all thoughts, so we can merge with the great beyond of nature, universe etc.

God's work through his word helps us to renew our minds, getting the old world of things out and his will in our heart and minds. 

On 6/10/2016 at 2:40 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

To meditate on God's word means to ponder, think about and consider his word.

Christians meditate in God's word by pondering, studying and considering his word gives us wisdom and helps us understand who God is. Eastern meditation wants us to assume a lotus position and clear our minds of all thoughts, so we can merge with the great beyond of nature, universe etc.

God's work through his word helps us to renew our minds, getting the old world of things out and his will in our heart and minds

To meditate on means to think about it and give it time and attention rather than oh, I read Chapter 2 good enough.  We have to strive to gain the lesson and knowledge God's provided for us in His word.  To me this means getting up early and studying God's word, thinking of how He's directing me and having that relationship with Him.

I'm not sure about all Eastern meditation, but the ones where you are just trying to empty your thoughts and clear you mind for Nirvana are very different from Christian.  As Christians, we are called to set an example, to study to think about everything we do and how it effects our and others relationship with God.  God didn't give us instruction, direction and examples in the Bible just to read.  He gave us them to apply and have growth, to encourage us, to strengthen us and to give us faith our relationships.

God gave us the Bible with all the instruction and examples we need.  He WANTS that relationship with us, that is why he made man in the first place.  We can never fully fathom God and His work, we simply are not capable of it, however, God promises to always be there and give us what we need. Mind you we want a lot, but as far as needs---I find when I'm struggling to find direction or reassurance on my movement to make--while studying, listening to music or hearing a sermon, I get my direction or reaffirmation from God.  God tells us "seek and you shall find."

• 2 weeks later...

Mediating on God's word means reading and considering it as it applies to your life. It is letting God teach you and transform you.  The difference between Christian meditation and Eastern is that Eastern is about emptying your mind. Christian thought is about filling your mind with God's truth and changing our thinking to God's thinking.  God teaches us from the Scripture and we change our way of thinking to God's way of thinking.  

“Meditate therein day and night”: To read with thoughtfulness, to linger over God’s Word. 

Obedience begins with a relentless quest to know and take to heart God’s Word. 

Our entire lives are to be guided by the Word of God. We are to hide the Words of the law in our hearts so that we would never forget them.  It becomes part of our being. Then we will prosper and have great success.

To meditate is to think carefully about something, in this case is to seek to understand what the writer wanted you to grasp and the application of the knowledge in your life. Whilst in Eastern meditation you empty your thoughts, in Christian meditation you seek to understand the mind of God and apply his instructions to your life.

In meditating we take God’s thoughts and his mind thereby throwing away what we held as true and righteous before. In so doing we get changed to God’s way of thinking. If we do this repeatedly then it becomes part of us. Our minds gets transformed and renewed.