JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Rahab's House

• 3 months later...

The spies were sent to gather the information about the strength and weakness of Jericho city.  It is natural that they had entered in a prostitute’s lodge because that is the only safe place for foreigners to come and go without being noticed by the local people.

God is the controller of everything (Proverbs 16:4; 9), so I do believe He has directed those men into the house of Rahab, a woman who believed and fear the God of Israel (Joshua 2:9).

Pro 16:4  The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

Pro 16:9  A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.

Jos 2:9  And she said unto the men, I know that the LORD hath given you the land, and that your terror is fallen upon us, and that all the inhabitants of the land faint because of you

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:41 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Joshua 2:1) What were the spies sent to learn? Why do you think they sought to lodge in a prostitute’s house? Do you think God sent them there?

Q1. What were the spies sent to learn?

Joshua sent them to spy out the land....size of the army, fortifications, population, places where his army might find advantage, even the will of the people to engage in a fight.

Why do you think they sought to lodge in a prostitute's house?

Probably because it might prove better cover for them than a place of lodging....visiting men were apt to seek out a prostitute. (in archeological digs they've discovered foot prints carved into street stones from the wharves to the houses of known prostitutes to lead visitors right to their doors! Like bent twigs on trails or arrows drawn on walls to mark paths) Prostitutes were known to make arrangements and secret meetings between clients, so they may have thought they'd uncover answers to Joshua's questions without actually sneaking around inside Jericho knowing they'd be recognized as spies.

Do you think God sent them there?

I do. God knows the future...and "All things serve God even the entire Universe" (Ps.119:91) Which includes the devil and ALL things. Before the foundation of the world was formed He knew this mission, and He had promised victory. They may not have realized they were being led, and though there were no footprints carved in stone, as in port cities, He directed their path, which was for them as well as for Rahab and her family who were "marked" by the Lord to be spared, and for her to be one of the several female "links" in the lineage of Jesus! She had all of the information they were seeking....the people had already heard the Lord had dried up the Red Sea and what had been done to Sihon and Og, the two kings of Amorites, and they were terrified!

We too can depend upon His guidance as He promises in Isaiah 30:21: "And your ears will hear a word behind you, saying "This is the way, walk in it: when you turn to the right hand and when you turn to the left."  He leads us now by His indwelling Holy Spirit.

. Q1 (Joshua 2:1) What were the spies sent to learn? Why do you think they sought to lodge in a prostitute’s house? Do you think God sent them there?

The spies were sent for tactical reasons. The invasion of the land was immanent so Joshua problem sent the spies to spot strengths and weaknesses of the land in which he was going invade. So it would be more easy for the men to remain in cognito if they were to stay with a prostitute, where comings an goings were probably the norm. It seems that God had prepared Rahab for the visit (v 9) It seems that God had prepared her heart for the visit. She was able to tell the men all they needed to know. This would have been encouraging news for Joshua.

Q 1. What were the spies sent to learn? I believe the spies were sent to learn Jericho's strengths and weaknesses. The spies were seeking any openings around this city that they  could possibly get their men through; any hedges that had openings.

Why do you think they sought to lodge in a prostitute's house?   The prostitute's (Rahab's) house, which was her place of business,  I'm sure was bustling and busy  with many men of Jericho, as well as, men from other parts of the region.  Lot's of talking and bragging going on among these men. This was an excellent atmosphere to extract information. 

Do you think God sent them there?  Yes, I do. God had seen Rahab's heart and her faith in Him the God of the Israelites. She had already heard of their God and determined in her heart that He was God and not the gods of people of Jericho. 

Q1. (Joshua 2:1) What were the spies sent to learn?

The spies were sent to secretly go and view the land in general, including the great city of Jericho, land which the LORD God promised to give to them.

Q2. Why do you think they sought to lodge in a prostitute's house?

The spirit of wisdom was upon Joshua is why I believe it was "wisdom" that brought the spies to Rahabs house, there they found a woman of full of "faith" in Israel's God, a woman who stood "STRONG" against the Kings men who insisted Rahab bring out the men who came to spy out the country, a woman of great "COURAGE" as Rahab deliberately lead the Kings men astray, thereby providing protection for the spies. 

Rahab was a Canaanite, a Gentile who did not have God's laws to meditate on day and night, she did not have a light before her path, what she did have was "FAITH."  Rahab heard how "Yahweh" dried up the water of the Red sea for Israel, when they came out of Egypt; and what was done to the two kings of the Amorites and Og, whom the LORD destroyed, Rahabs "heart" melted as she came to understand the LORD their God, He is God in heaven above, and in the earth beneath.

Edited by Delivered

Q1. (Joshua 2:1) What were the spies sent to learn?

In our modern vernacular, they were sent to "case the joint." They were to find out how prepared the people of Jericho were in the face of the impending invasion and to get the lay of the land.

Why do you think they sought to lodge in a prostitute’s house?

Such lodging  would be more discrete than staying at an inn. Folks would be used to looking the other way when they saw men entering the home of a prostitute.
Also a prostitute would have an accurate idea of the mood of the city. Sure enough, the text reveals that to be the case.

I definitely think God sent them there. We should marvel at God's advance planning here. This woman, Rahab, would soon marry Salmon who would father Boaz who would marry another woman of faith from another people outside the Jewish line, Ruth who also converted to worshipping the One true God. Boaz would father Obed, who would father Jesse, the father of King David. While God was delivering Israel from the Egyptians and setting them up in their eventual earthly homeland, He was already making His plans for their, and the whole world's ultimate Salvation.

On 6/10/2016 at 3:41 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Joshua 2:1) What were the spies sent to learn? Why do you think they sought to lodge in a prostitute’s house? Do you think God sent them there?

Joshua and his men were sent to size up the enemy and the battlefield.But wait.... why would they have to size up the enemy of God gave them this land?  I  think it was easier to save Rhab by giving her fair warning then it was to try to find her and her kin in the middle of a battle. Rahab said "I know this land was given to you.." which tells me she was in conversation with or praying to God.  

Rahab inn/brothel was a place where  strangers would not be suspect.

The spies were sent out to probe Jerico and the surrounding area - the lay of the land, the placement of the roads, the size and might of the army and the cities fortification.

The prostitutes house offered secrecy and overnight lodging.  It's access was on the outer wall for easy escape.  It was a strategic location.

i do believe God sent them there for His divine purpose, as Rahab is often mentioned for her faith and is part of the lineage of Jesus.

1.  The spies were sent to learn about the layout of the land, to learn the easiest, best way  possible to claim the land promised Israel.  To see what opposition Joshua’s army would face.

2. The prostitute’s house was a good cover.  It provided less scrutiny for the men who were strangers.   Her house was a place where outsiders would visit.   The spies being strangers would have been under the radar if they had taken lodging anywhere else.

3. Yes, God definitely sent them there.   It was all a part of God’s plan, the route to conquering the land.

On 6/10/2016 at 3:41 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The spies were sent to probe Jericho and the surrounding area to gather intelligence concerning the topography and roads of the surrounding, also to ascertain the weaknesses in the city's defenses that could be exploited in the campaign to take the city.   I believe they lodge with the prostitute to be inconspicuous.  Being there they would blend in with the clients of the house.  I have no doubt that their going to this house was of God.  He knew that Rahab would be in the ancestry of King David and the Messiah, Jesus Christ. It was Providence. 

Joshua sent his men to Jericho so they could check out the surrounding area, as well as the city's weaknesses. They stayed there because the prostitute house would have been the last place they would've looked. Yes, I believe God did sent them there so it can uncover faith in the heart of the prostitute.

Q1. (Joshua 2:1) 
What were the spies sent to learn? 
Why do you think they sought to lodge in a prostitute's house? 

The two spies were sent secretly in preparation for the invasion of the Promised Land, and specifically the capture of Jericho. 
Before attacking Jericho, they needed to learn information about its gates, fortified towers, military force, the morale of the people, and the surrounding territory. 
By sending spies, I don’t think there was any lack of faith on Joshua’s part, but rather it was a matter of military strategy. 
They sought lodging and entering the house of a prostitute because it would not have raised much suspicion. 
Also, being on the wall did not require venturing too far into the city. At the same time the situation of the house against the town wall allowed for easier escape. 
God in His infinite wisdom must have sent them there. 
The Lord so guided the course of the two spies that they found in Rahab the very person who was most suitable for their purpose.
It was through her trust in the power of the God of Israel that she hid them at great risk to herself. 
The end result was a successful mission and the safe return of the spies. All in God’s plan. 

(Joshua 2:1) What were the spies sent to learn? Why do you think they sought to lodge in a prostitute’s house? Do you think God sent them there?
1)  The spies were sent to look over the land.  They were to learn about the surrounding area intelligence concerning the topography and roads of the surrounding, as well as weaknesses in the city's defenses that could be exploited in the campaign to take the city.Rather, it had to do

2)  Lodging in the home of a prostitute was the best way not to be discovered.  Due to the nature of their business, it would not be unusual to have strangers in the home and they would be very discrete.

3)  Yes, I do think God sent them there.  Even a prostitute can be used by God. 

On 6/10/2016 at 2:41 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The spies were sent out to do reconnaissance of the town of Jericho.

They sought to lay over at the prostitutes house because this is were the spies would most likely not go to.

God probably sent them to the prostitutes house because she was fearful of the Israelite's and their God. Their renown had proceeded them and she probably had faith that the God of Israel would spare her and her family if she co-operated with them.        

They were sent to scout the layout of the land and towns, to see the enemy forces, to report back what they were up against.

It was on the outside wall of the city.  God had a plan and they were following it.  It was not conspicuous for men to be going in and out of a prostitute's house.  God had already worked on Rehab's heart and prepared her for her immediate role in his will for the Israelites and ultimately to give lineage to David and Jesus.

God knows all and has His plan and His will will be done.  Just think of the people God's used to make some of the biggest and most important impacts in His plan, if God can take a prostitute, a virgin, a carpenter, a tax collector, a Christian killer etc. and do all He had them do for His kingdom--imagine what He can do with us!

The spies were sent look over the land, as to military forces, strategies, guarded posts and the like. I believe that while they were there on investigation, a place was needed to stay (much like when we travel long distances today, we stay at a motel/hotel...) while they were there. Yes, I believe God sent then that He would get the Glory in terms of saving a family, turning one from sin and His plan to use one (sinner) in His efforts to show who He is.

Joshua send the spies secretly? He knew, he would be attacking a heavily fortified city using conventional warfare tactics. He needed strategic information about the city for the upcoming battle. But he also knew that this might draw criticism from the other leaders. After all, the last time spies were sent, the report they brought back caused disastrous problems. While he did not want to move ahead without information, he also did not want to cause the people to stumble and question his wisdom and ability to lead the nation.

Why the spies stopped at the house of Rahab, a prostitute?

(1) It was a good place to gather information and have no questions asked in return.

(2) Rahab’s house was in an ideal location for a quick escape because it was built into the city wall.

(3) God directed the spies to Rahab’s house because he knew her heart was open to him and that she would be instrumental in the Israelite victory over Jericho. God uses people with simple faith to accomplish his great purposes, no matter what kind of past they have had or how insignificant they seem to be. Rahab didn’t allow her past to keep her from the new role God had for her

Q1. (Joshua 2:1) What were the spies sent to learn? Why do you think they sought to lodge in a prostitute’s house? Do you think God sent them there?

They were sent to Jericho to spy out the land and the people and get an idea what they were up against.  They were looking for any intelligence that would be an advantage to them and to know what they were up against.  As Dr. Wilson suggested it was for anonymity and for easy escape that they took refuge in a prostitutes house.  Did God send them there?  Providentially, God knew the heart of Rahab was different from the rest of Jericho.  God provided opportunity and salvation for Rahb, as well as working out someone to help the spies escape.  

“Rehab” is not promised deliverance, simply because of  her efforts on behalf of the spies, but on the basis of her faith . Neither her harlotry nor her lying is approved of.

In His gracious providence, God had prepared her heart to receive both the messengers and their God. Though she acted out of her old habits in hiding and delivering the spies, her newly found faith was being tested at the risk of her life.

God’s further grace toward Rahab may be seen in her subsequent marriage to Salmon, through whom was born Boaz, Ruth’s husband, so that she  became an ancestress of David, and hence of Christ Himself.

It shows how God’s sovereign grace is sufficient for the vilest of sinners.

This demonstrates that God’s grace and forgiveness is extended to all, and is not limited by nationality or by the nature of a person’s sins .

I know that this is not answering the question but that is what inspired me about the whole incident.

What were the spies sent to learn? Why do you think they sought to lodge in a prostitute's house? Do you think God sent them there?

The city of Jericho, for information [ weakness and strength etc] that would help in the invasion to conquer the city.

The reason makes more sense to me is that Rahab's house was on the wall where escape could be easy

I think God of grace lead them there. More so, the trip was been guided by God Himself so he would have led them there as part of His plan to lead the Israelites into the promised land.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1) The spies were sent out to get (a) man's view of how (difficult) conquering the ' promised land' especially Jericho probably to show Joshua why he needs to depend on the Lord. The report of the spies on the psychological status of the people I would say is similar to the Midianites interpretation of dream prior to Gideon's triumph over them Ju 7:14,15. like Gideon this would improve Joshua's faith in God. The providence of God is such that the spies will be identified and though their hearts were "melted", Jericho could make themselves believe that they could endure a long siege . And Yes I think it was God's instruction that they scout the land.

It would not be uncommon for men to go to the house of a prostitute ( cult or otherwise) even if they were strangers. The men could also have considered that it would been the least possible way of avoiding suspicion .The Bible does not say either that it was Rahab who recognize them and approached them to put her plan into effect to save herself and her family, which could well have been the case.

• 9 months later...
On 9/30/2016 at 1:36 AM, lighthouse2014 said:

I think the spies were sent there to learn how things operate in the land so that they could easily take it. I think it is interesting that they sought refuge in the likely candidate's house. This tells me that this was definitely orchestrated by God. She would be the one to house men yet she was also the one who had a fear and reverence for God that ended up saving her family. In our eyes, the unlikely candidates are actually the ones God is pursuing.