JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 3 months later...

When I read the Holy Bible, I see it as a book of history of Israel people.  Of course, it reveals the relationship and prophecies of God concerning his chosen people, but it is not a book for us to imagine and make up spiritual implication unto our lives.

By stopping at Joshua 3:1 and not reading the next three verses, we may miss out the connection and understanding the reason for the Israelites to stop at the bank of the Jordan River before crossing.

This is the crossing of an entire nation that biblical scholars have estimated about 600,000 fighters and the total can be up to 2.5 million people, including women and children.  For that reason, they have to stop at the bank, allowing the people to recover after the march from Shittim, prepare themselves and be ready for the next stage.  Under the governance of Joshua, the Israelites were not a disorganised people as we have seen his preparation in the first chapter.

Jos 1:10  Then Joshua commanded the officers of the people, saying,

Jos 1:11  Pass through the host, and command the people, saying, Prepare you victuals; for within three days ye shall pass over this Jordan, to go in to possess the land, which the LORD your God giveth you to possess it.

Now, if we want to make a reflection about breaking our old way of life to follow God, we should understand that is a repentance; this means a painful process.  We should first admit that our current way of life is wrong, before we can make a resolution to abide to God’s commandments and his law.

We should recall here that no one can claim to have faith in God and not abiding to his commandments and laws.

Jos 1:8  This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

Abiding to God’s commandments and his laws is an absolute condition that God has expected from the Israelites, so it is the same for the gentiles who are grafted into the rootstock of Israel.

Rom 11:17  And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;

God’s blessings and protection are not given to the Israelites when they break his laws, so it would be the same for the gentiles who want to be accepted into God’s people.

1Ki 14:15  For the LORD shall smite Israel, as a reed is shaken in the water, and he shall root up Israel out of this good land, which he gave to their fathers, and shall scatter them beyond the river, because they have made their groves, provoking the LORD to anger.

The story of Ruth is a perfect example of a gentile who was integrated into God’s people.

Rth 4:11  And all the people that were in the gate, and the elders, said, We are witnesses. The LORD make the woman that is come into thine house like Rachel and like Leah, which two did build the house of Israel: and do thou worthily in Ephratah, and be famous in Bethlehem:

Therefore, the question that we should ask ourselves when we want to follow the God of Israel is: “Do I really want to accept his commandments and his laws as my own rules of life?  That is the only preparation we should make ourselves ready.

I have not thought about this passage before, in this way.

I think I'm at a crossroads in my life at the moment.  It's very much like coming to an end of self -that's how it feels. So it's a time where I have to put all my trust in God Jesus my savior. I have been making some dumb decisions in my life lately, which has contributed to the way I feel now.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—
Ephesians 2:8 NIV
http://bible.com/111/eph.2.8.NIV

Q1. (Joshua 3:1) Why do the Israelites have to break camp at Shittim before the day they cross Jordan?

The time needed for Israel to be in Shittim must have been coming to an end, it was there they conquered the Ammonite kings Og and Sihon that great fear spread to those living in the land the LORD promised to give to them, it was there they heard Moses recite the law that they were instructed to meditate on, words by which "faith" and that of obedience comes from, now it was time for them to come together as a united people and prepare to cross over.

I believe it must have been the spirit of wisdom that Joshua had all the people, which included the wives, their children, their livestock, and all of their possessions prepare ahead of time, thereby they could rise early in the morning and set out from Acacia Grove to the Jordan; it was no small task having all the people walk the walk that will take them closer to their destination, a place where they would have time to prepare, a time for the officers to go through the camp with instructions, and a time for the people to sanctify themselves, a time to quiet themselves before the LORD, for the LORD was going to do wonders among them.

Q. In what ways is your life settled into a routine that keeps you from fully following God's leading?

We all have routines and schedules we must follow, it is important we put God first in order that He goes before us.

Q. What do you need to do to make yourself ready?

I believe it is important I meditate on God’s laws to do them, it is important I walk the walk and not talk the walk, it is important I sanctify myself before God, a quieting time needed in order to hear and to prepare myself for the wonders that God has planned for my life.

Q1. (Joshua 3:1) Why do the Israelites have to break camp at Shittim before the day they cross Jordan? In what ways is your life settled into a routine that keeps you from fully following God's leading? What do you need to do to make yourself ready?

God told Moses have Israelites to break camp at Shittim before crossing Jordan river and when crossed they will settle in the Promised Land they should drive out the wicked inhabitants and destroy their idols. Paul encourages us to live as Christians in the same manner: throwing away our old way of living and moving ahead into our new life of obedience to God and faith in Jesus Christ. Like the Israelites moving into the Promised Land, we can destroy the wickedness in our lives, or we can settle down and live with it. To move in and possess the new life, we must drive out the sinful thoughts and practices to make room for the new.

On 6/10/2016 at 3:45 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Joshua 3:1) Why do the Israelites have to break camp at Shittim before the day they cross Jordan? In what ways is your life settled into a routine that keeps you from fully following God’s leading? What do you need to do to make yourself ready?

It is interesting to consider this short relocation.I like ducminhs resonate that the sheer number of people necessitated a short move.  However, complacency could have also played a large part.  When preparing for warfare there is a staging process and each stage heightens your awareness and mindset for engagement

I too have gotten complacent in my relationship with God,  Life is good. However I can't just settle for a comfortable life here- I must always prepare for my homecoming so every day I should be focused on His will

Q1. (Joshua 3:1) Why do the Israelites have to break camp at Shittim before the day they cross Jordan? In what ways is your life settled into a routine that keeps you from fully following God's leading? What do you need to do to make yourself ready?

Israelites took a break and camped at Shittim before crossing over to Jordan as were told to  Moses by God, after long journey of 40 years before entering the promised land they took rest as they have to fight wars to conquer these places, they planned to counter the enemy by studying their strengths and weaknesses, and also taking instructions from God to move ahead to conquer without defeat.

In our daily life when we reach the important milestones or junctions there God wants us to pause or stop and have a word with him so that he will guide us, you discuss with God your plan or God will reveal his plan to you so that you can conquer greater heights both physically and spiritually.

I need to have faith in God, when I read the scriptures like in Joshua my faith gets strengthened in the great works of God which can be fulfilled in me also if I follow His Word and live according to it without deviating to the left nor to right, and finally I need His grace to be with me in what ever I do according to His will.  

On 6/10/2016 at 3:45 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Joshua 3:1) Why do the Israelites have to break camp at Shittim before the day they cross Jordan? In what ways is your life settled into a routine that keeps you from fully following God’s leading? What do you need to do to make yourself ready?

They were taken out of complacency and moved to a position where they would be able to resume the journey to possess the promised land.

Comfortable routine. Confirm what I think I am hearing and that it is his leading.

The Israelites had settled in and got to use to camp life in Shittim. They was carrying on their routine duties as if Shittim was their home. The Israelites seem to have forgotten the promise land. I try to follow God's leading everyday because I will always make mistakes.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:45 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Joshua 3:1) Why do the Israelites have to break camp at Shittim before the day they cross Jordan?

It could be that in being worn out from the long journey, and grieving the death of Moses, and now new leadership in Joshua, it was to break their pattern of long tiresome stays in each place they camped and the apathy which followed.  I imagine they settled in to the sameness and boredom of not much happening at each place,  so they were not sharp and emotionally ready for battle. To settle in for 3 days then a quick order to "pay attention...we're at a critical point now,"  the commanding officers went throughout the camp saying "When you see the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God being borne by the Levites, set our from where you are and follow it.  It was a "prepare to prepare" and stay alert and ready to move order.

In what ways is your life settled into a routine that keeps you from fully following God’s leading?

We've  definitely settled into a routine, after waiting 20 years in this location, yet knowing that we are going to be moving. However for us it is not to enter battle, it's to rest from 40 years of battling many kinds of enemies and hardship in the wilderness, with a "carrot of promise" always dangling in front of us saying "this is temporary and when the time is right I'll give the order to "move". That promise and others have kept me being alert, always watching for His leading and to be ready, and yet to carry on here as if we are here permanently.

What do you need to do to be ready?

I am ready. Our family is ready. We're looking forward to what He has promised will be a "quick work"...almost head swimmingly quick when He's ready. He will not have to "clip our roots", as He did the Israelites at Shittim.

Q1. (Joshua 3:1) 
Why do the Israelites have to break camp at Shittim before the day they cross Jordan? 
In what ways is your life settled into a routine that keeps you from fully following God's leading? 
What do you need to do to make yourself ready? 

The Israelites had a lot of preparations to do before entering enemy territory.
Besides the army that had to be prepared, there was their families and their possessions that had to be moved.
I feel that for my age, nearly 80, I have settled into a certain comfort zone, but yet I feel positive about it.
I have been blessed in having this close relationship with my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ; acknowledging Him in everything I do.
At the same time, being retired, I’m so grateful to have the time available for Bible studies. 
The Lord is truly gracious and good.

Q1. (Joshua 3:1) Why do the Israelites have to break

camp at Shittim before the day they cross Jordan? In

what ways is your life settled into a routine that keeps

you from fully following God's leading? What do you need

to do to make yourself ready?

1.They had been there for months, perhaps years, and were too

accustomed to sedentary camp life.

2.I sometimes get to busy and say I am going to study and

do not.Sometimes I get to tired.

3.I need to put my study time in a place where it can come

before any thing else.

On 6/10/2016 at 2:45 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The Israelites had to break camp because they had perhaps became to comfortable or complacent where they were at. They need to be ready to move again because Joshua is going to lead them into the promised land.

Being settled here I have become to comfortable in my surroundings and every day responsibilities. But it appears as usual the Lord keeps things kind of stirred up so we don't get too comfortable and for our need to depend on him.

To make myself ready to move for the Lord I must keep myself in prayer and always ready for his guidance.    

Q1. (Joshua 3:1) Why do the Israelites have to break camp at Shittim before the day they cross Jordan? In what ways is your life settled into a routine that keeps you from fully following God’s leading? What do you need to do to make yourself ready?

They needed to commit to the pilgrimage status and rely on God to lead them.  It is too easy to get comfortable and not want to move forward.  When you get comfortable, you are relying more on yourself and less on God. 

It is easy for me, as a Christian, to settle into a comfortable place.  I need to stay active and try new things to keep my reliance on God fresh. When I trust in Him more than myself, more is accomplished. 

They had become too settled.  They needed to get back into position to attack & take cities for the Lord.

I think we must reevaluate our lives and what we do daily to see if we're putting God first in everything.  Get rid of things that rob us of our time with/for the Lord.

Q1. (Joshua 3:1) Why do the Israelites have to break camp at Shittim before the day they cross Jordan? In what ways is your life settled into a routine that keeps you from fully following God's leading? What do you need to do to make yourself ready?

To regain the momentum towards moving to take over the promised land after staying in one place- Shittim for a long time.

When we get used to rigidly following church routine activities merely to fulfill righteousness and miss God's call for a different directive.

Pray and listen to God's call to move elsewhere or to do something else.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that the move from Shittim has everything to do with the crossing of the Jordan which verse 4:10 described as hurried. Whatever "natural" (read; miraculous or vice-versa) event God had arranged was not going to last for long and yes timing was of the essence. So the the people had to be sprightly and in position.

We need to be in constant communication with God and let Him know ( not that he doesn't) our plans so that He can show us through delays and diversions what he approves and what he disapproves. I mean if we have plans to go north and His plan is for us to go south, we must be able to recognize that  His choice for us. Unlike  King David who was suppose to be at war when he met Bathsheba; if he was at war he would probably never meet her.

• 2 years later...

God is preparing the people to enter the land that is promised to them. They are ordered to leave by God to take possession of the promise land. They were only suppose to camp there until God gave the order for them to leave. Perhaps it is was a rest stop to help recovery from the long journey and to prepare themselves for what was to come. God had a plan and their obedience was vital to that plan. They were learning how to obey and trust in God for all things and learning to expect God to supply all there needs.

• 3 years later...

Q1. (Joshua 3:1)

Why do the Israelites have to break camp at Shittim before the day they cross Jordan?

In what ways is your life settled into a routine that keeps you from fully following God's leading?

What do you need to do to make yourself ready?

The Israelites had been at Shittim for quite a while. It was necessary for them to come out of their 'comfort zones' (possibly not a comfort zone but a place they had gotten settled in a bit) and get ready for the next part of their journey. The first step was to prepare provisions for the next step of their journey and then they moved the short distance to the bank of Jordan River. From there it was possible to see the next obstacle which was in their way before entering the Promised Land and taking possession of it. There again they stopped for 3 days before packing up camp again. It was necessary to stop after that walk. There were hundreds of people and lots of livestock, and it all took time, even though they were well organized. 

I need to be ready at all times, should it be that God wants me to go elsewhere. For now I feel I am at the right place but am reaching a crossroad. May God's will be done and may I be ready and willing to follow His guidance.

• 1 year later...

Q: Why do the Israelites have to break camp at Shittim before the day they cross Jordan?

A: It was so that they get out off complacency and move to a position where they would be able to resume the journey to the promised land and be better prepared emotionally and otherwise.

Q2: what ways is your life settled into a routine that keeps you from fully following God's leading?

A: I've developed a habit of missing my daily prayer life.

Q3:What do you need to do to make yourself ready

A:I need to go back to a place of consistency.