JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Devoted to the Lord

Q4. (Joshua 6:27) The slaughter of all the people in Jericho is difficult for us to understand. Why do you think God ordered it? In what sense are you “devoted to the Lord” (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). Metaphorically, how does this relate to Jesus’ teaching to deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow him, and Paul’s teaching on the crucified life? (Luke 9:23; Romans 6:6; Galatians 2:20).

• 3 months later...

If we believe that the Almighty God of Israel is the Creator of all and the giver of life, then we have no right to make any judgement on his order to Israelites to exterminate the people in Jericho and other inhabitants in the Promise Land.

Paul has told us about God’s authority:

Romans 9:

20  Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

21  Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

22  What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

23  And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

24  Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

The first time that God has wiped out the entire earth was the great flood (Genesis 6:9-9:17). Did he spare any innocent children? Or He chose to save only eight people of Noah’s family?  What was the reason for God to destroy all living creatures of the earth?

Genesis 6:

5  And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

6  And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

7  And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

Why did God choose to save Noah and his family?

Gen 6:8  But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

Gen 6:9  These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

For the same reasons God had instructed the Israelites to exterminated the people in the Promised Land, and He was very clear in His instructions with a penalty if any Israelite took the opportunity to plunder or covet for themselves the good of Jericho:

Jos 6:18  And ye, in any wise keep yourselves from the accursed thing, lest ye make yourselves accursed, when ye take of the accursed thing, and make the camp of Israel a curse, and trouble it.

We can see the consequence in the Joshua 7:

Jos 7:15  And it shall be, that he that is taken with the accursed thing shall be burnt with fire, he and all that he hath: because he hath transgressed the covenant of the LORD, and because he hath wrought folly in Israel.

How about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah?  And that is not all, God has promised to destroy the earth with fire (Luke 17:29-30) and make a new one (Revelation 21:1).

God’s LOVE and TRUTH are defined by His JUSTICE.

Psa 89:14  Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before thy face.

How can we show our devotion to God? Here are the instructions:

Joh 14:15  If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Joh 14:21  He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

1Jn 2:3  And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1Jn 2:4  He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1Jn 2:5  But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

1Jn 2:6  He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

In regards of the verses 1 Corinthians 6:19-20,

1Co 6:19  What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

1Co 6:20  For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

We cannot devote our lives (body and spirit) to God if we are not walking with Him.

If we walk with God, we can trust in Him to provide everything that we need for the journey.

Luk 9:3  And he said unto them, Take nothing for your journey, neither staves, nor scrip, neither bread, neither money; neither have two coats apiece.

If we want to walk with God, we must repent from our old ways of life.

Rom 6:6  Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

To be crucified with Christ means to shred away our old ways of life, so we can walk with Him. (Living by the faith of the Son of God is to have the same faith as the Son of God)

Gal 2:20  I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

What does it mean “To walk with God”?

Psalms 1:

1  Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

Psa 1:2  But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

What is the faith of the Son of God?  Jesus has declared it:

Joh 6:38  For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

And for us, to have the same faith of the Son of God is:

Mat 7:21  Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Joshua was the precursor of Christ; he was chosen to do God’s will too:

Jos 1:7  Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.

Q4. (Joshua 6:27) The slaughter of all the people in Jericho is difficult for us to understand. Why do you think God ordered it? In what sense are you "devoted to the Lord" (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). Metaphorically, how does this relate to Jesus' teaching to deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow him, and Paul's teaching on the crucified life? (Luke 9:23; Romans 6:6; Galatians 2:20).

God demand that the Israelites destroy almost everyone and everything in Jericho? He was carrying out severe judgment against the wickedness of the Canaanites. This judgment, or ban, usually required that everything be destroyed. Because of their evil practices and intense idolatry, the Canaanites were a stronghold of rebellion against God. This threat to the right kind of living that God required had to be removed. If not, it would affect all Israel like a cancerous growth.

Our bodies belongs to God? Many people say they have the right to do whatever they want with their own bodies. Although they think that this is freedom, they are really enslaved to their own desires. When we become Christians, the Holy Spirit comes to live in us. Therefore, we no longer own our bodies. That God bought us “with a high price” refers to slaves purchased at an auction. Christ’s death freed us from sin but also obligates us to his service. If you live in a building owned by someone else, you try not to violate the building’s rules. Because your body belongs to God, you must not violate his standards for living. 

I believe that God ordered the slaughter of all the people in Jericho because they were too sinful,  they have no regard for or belief in God

By God's grace I am trying to devote myself to God by keeping my body pure and trying to live by His commands. 

Jesus and Paul teaches us that our bodies are temple of God, so we should keep it clean and pure.

(Joshua 6:27) The slaughter of all the people in Jericho is difficult for us to understand. Why do you think God ordered it? In what sense are you “devoted to the Lord” (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). Metaphorically, how does this relate to Jesus’ teaching to deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow him, and Paul’s teaching on the crucified life? (Luke 9:23; Romans 6:6; Galatians 2:20).

God ordered the destruction of the Canaanites for  (1) punishment of gross sin and (2) the importance of the Israelites to be separated from sin so they might continue to worship and live before Yahweh with purity.

We are "devoted to the Lord" in the sense that we are his possession completely.  When we become Christians, the Holy Spirit fills our lives and lives in us.  God owns our body.

Jesus teachings to deny ourselves....means following Jesus by imitating his life and obeying his commands.  We are to deny our selfish desires to do things our way.  We are no longer slaves to our old sinful nature.  We are free to live for Jesus. 

1. God ordered the slaughter of the inhabitants of Jericho because the inhabitants had beliefs that were abominable to God.  They worshipped idols, made sacrifices to their gods, committed adultery.  God does not condone such practices. ‘Thou shall worship no other God but Me’.  They broke all his commandments. If they were allowed to remain and the Israelites intermingled with them, Israel certainly would have incurred God’s wrath because they would have picked up their ungodly behavior.

2. I am trying to be devoted to God in the sense to be like the Apostles who just followed Jesus unconditionally and preached his word.  I feel that I do show devotion for I try to be the person he would like me to be.  I try to keep his commandments although I fail on occasions.  I however will not give up and hope that one day very soon I will be able be filled with that Holy Spirit  and lead that Christian life full of faith leaving everything to Christ, knowing that He will see me through. 

Q4. (Joshua 6:27) 
The slaughter of all the people in Jericho is difficult for us to understand. 
Why do you think God ordered it? 
In what sense are you "devoted to the Lord" (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). 
Metaphorically, how does this relate to Jesus' teaching to deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow Him, and Paul's teaching on the crucified life? (Luke 9:23; Romans 6:6; Galatians 2:20). 

It is only when we realize the moral perversity of the inhabitants of Jericho that we can begin to understand why God ordered the complete destruction of life within the city.
Jericho joined other wicked cities such as Sodom (Genesis 19:4-29), Nineveh (Nahum 3:1), Tyre (Ezekiel 26:17-19), Babylon (Jeremiah 50:23), and even Rome (Revelation 18:10), that have been destroyed.
God hates sin, and because of His righteousness judges sin, but He does it consistently. 
It is not that He only judges the pagan nations, for the Israelites were also harshly judged as they disobeyed God and practiced idolatry. 
God has chosen to involve Himself in our lives, sinful and rebellious as we are. 
He has every right to wipe out the entire human race and start over, or He could even have left us to destroy ourselves.
However, through His love, His grace, and His mercy, He has decided to save some of us.
From the very beginning we see Him entering into communication with the part of His creation that bears His very image.
He walked in the garden with Adam and Eve, promising that One would come who would crush the head of the serpent. 
He entered into a covenant with Abraham – keeping His side of that covenant all through history to this present moment.
By entering our lives, He participates in every aspect of human existence, even offering us salvation. 
As a believer I’m indwelt by the Holy Spirit and ultimately my body is not mine but belongs to the Lord.
At the Cross I was bought at a price - the price of His own precious blood.
I think of how great His love must have been to bear all our sins in His body on the cross!
Therefore, I can no longer think of my body as my own, and it is not for me to use it in any way I desire. 
Rather I must use my body to glorify my Lord and Saviour. 

Q4. (Joshua 6:27) The slaughter of all the people in Jericho is difficult for us to understand. Why do you think God ordered it?: God ordered the slaughter of the people in Jericho because of their sins and detestable rebellion against the Lord. The people were wicked and lived perversely in a way that defiled the whole land. Since God was angree with them, He ordered the land to purge the people out (Lev. 18: 24-26). He equally, warned the people of Isreal about the dangers of getting entangled with that kind of life. For the above reasons, we observe that God did not want to permit any chances with the Isrealites (His people) that is why He strictly gave the order to kill everything living in that city. God is supreme and remains God. There is no one who can question His actions and decisions. The bible makes us to understand that He is the potter and we are the products of His handy work. He decides on which ever shape and the pot has no say.

In what sense are you “devoted to the Lord” (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).?: I have made a decision to follow Jesus Christ and therefore try to devote myself to the Lord by staying true to Him and avoiding getting into sexual sin that would defile my body which actually belongs to the Lord. In doing this I talk to him seeking His help through His Spirit. For it is written, not by might nor by power but by my Spirit says the Lord (Zech. 4:6) 

Metaphorically, how does this relate to Jesus’ teaching to deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow him, and Paul’s teaching on the crucified life? (Luke 9:23; Romans 6:6; Galatians 2:20). In fact, we should step out of our worldly ways and follow the example of Jesus Christ as He illustrated that the son can do nothing of His own but that which He sees His father do (John 5: 19-20). We should in fact turn from our wicked ways, greed, and all other vices of the enemy and copy the life of Jesus Christ.

On 6/10/2016 at 3:52 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Joshua 6:27) The slaughter of all the people in Jericho is difficult for us to understand. Why do you think God ordered it? In what sense are you “devoted to the Lord” (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). Metaphorically, how does this relate to Jesus’ teaching to deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow him, and Paul’s teaching on the crucified life? (Luke 9:23; Romans 6:6; Galatians 2:20).

The slaughter of people in Jericho is difficult. However I have to believe th at they too had a chance to repent and refused. He raised his chosen over the nonbelievers. 

On 6/10/2016 at 2:52 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

God ordered the full slaughter of all the people in Jericho was because their sin had come to it's full measure.

God ordered the full destruction of Jericho because he did not want his people to be contaminated with the sins of the Jericho people.

I am devoted to the Lord by obeying him and doing the ministry he has given me at our congregation.

Metaphorically we are to deny ourselves and follow Christ, to take up and bare our cross. We were purchased with a price and we are his, the Holy Spirit dwells in us to help guide and lead us.

Q4 (Joshua 6:27) The slaughter of all the people in Jericho is difficult for us to understand. Why do you think God ordered it?

It helps me to understand the slaughter when I remember that Jesus was to be born of a certain lineage, undefiled or corrupted by heathen intermarriage, or interference from other religions, or women who might influence the Jewish men and lead them into idolatry...(as happened with Solomon and David and others later on) His lineage remained pure with the addition of the several foreign women, including Rahab who believed and trusted God. His lineage was to be documented and traced back to Adam, so that no imposter could ever claim legitimacy as Messiah.

In what sense are you "devoted to the Lord" (1 Cor 6, 19-20).

I Am His. He is mine. He bought me from my father the devil who previously owns us all until we are redeemed and washed by the precious blood of Jesus, shed at the cross. I am now His dwelling place or tabernacle here this tiny little corner of the earth, where I'm to shine and reflect Him to those who don't yet know Him.

I love that we are "re-gifted"... The Father chose us before the foundation of the world was formed and gave us to Jesus as His love gift. The Holy Spirit wooed us and then introduced us to Jesus Who redeemed us, and gave us back to the Father as His love gift.   (John 14, 15, 17:6 "I have revealed Your very self to those You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours and You gave them to Me. John 17:24: Those You have entrusted to Me as your love gift to Me, for they belong to You"  John 17:17: Sanctify them (Purify, consecrate, separate them for yourself Father, make them holy) by Truth. That they may be one as we are One.

Metaphorically, how does this relate to Jesus' teaching to deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow Him, and Paul's teaching on the crucified life? (Luke 9:23, Romans 6:6, Galatians, 2:20)

Because I am now His, I am to "lose sight of myself and my own interests", and follow Him, conforming wholly to His example of living and if need be, in dying also. I was  crucified with Him, rose with Him, now He lives in and through me and positionally I am seated with Him at the right hand of the Father in Heavenly places.

Q4. (Joshua 6:27) The slaughter of all the people in Jericho is difficult for us to understand. Why do you think God ordered it? In what sense are you “devoted to the Lord” (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). Metaphorically, how does this relate to Jesus’ teaching to deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow him, and Paul’s teaching on the crucified life? (Luke 9:23; Romans 6:6; Galatians 2:20

wrath and judgement are always hard for us to understand when we exclusively emphasize God's love and grace, but not His justice and judgement.  Jericho had seven days to repent.  Thyey were "tightly closed up."  People today who resist the gospel also stand in danger of judgement because the have rejected Jesus.  The Israelites needed that which was devoted to sin, become devoted to the Lord, even as we need to do the same.  This is the meaning of the mentioned passages and what we need to do ourselves.

God ordered it because they refused to worship God. 

I am His because He purchased me--at a very high price.

Deny self.  Not slaves to sin anymore.  My body belongs to Him and is the temple of the Holy Spirit.

God ordered the slaughter of all the people in Jericho because these people are Idol worshipers and if they are made to live, later days they may corrupt the Israelis with sinful customs and their other gods. Here in 1 cor 6:19-20, Our heart are the temple of God and we are supposed to glorify God with our bodies. We are made to glorify God in what ever we do every day by carrying our cross i.e, by bearing shame, fear, famine, lack of clothing hunger for the sake of Christ and the spread of Gospel. We should not spoil and make our body unclean because the Holy spirit lives inside it, otherwise it will leave us. We are always reminded to lead and live holy life because to live with holy  God one should be Holy in all aspects including body.

God's people (Israel) were set aside by God to live in purity unto the Lord.  Outsiders would influence the Israelite's to live in ways that God forbade, such as worshiping idols.  Due to sin - God destroyed Jericho.

We are to die to ourselves and live in submission - set apart for God.  We are to let Him who lives in us to take over our lives. Get out of His way so that His work can be accomplished through us - following in trust by His power.

The struggle and buffetings we experience in life are ours alone until we surrender our lives to the Lord.

Q4. (Joshua 6:27) The slaughter of all the people in Jericho is

difficult for us to understand. Why do you think God ordered it?

In what sense are you "devoted to the Lord" (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). Metaphorically, how does this relate to Jesus' teaching to deny

ourselves and take up our cross and follow him, and Paul's teaching

on the crucified life? (Luke 9:23; Romans 6:6; Galatians 2:20).

1. Jericho was full of sin.

2. My body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in me,

which I have of God, and are not my own.  

I was bought with a price: therefore I should glorify God in

my body, and in my spirit, which is God's.

3. If I am to follow God, I must put away my feelings,

concerns, and be obedient to God all the way. Be ready to

accept what is coming every day whether good or bad to

live for God.

I should die out to sin and live for God. My sinful body

is to be destroyed in order to die out for God.

The holy ghost lives in side of me. The life I now live in

the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me,

and gave himself for me on the cross.

Q4. (Joshua 6:27) The slaughter of all the people in Jericho is difficult for us to understand. Why do you think God ordered it? In what sense are you "devoted to the Lord" (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). Metaphorically, how does this relate to Jesus' teaching to deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow him, and Paul's teaching on the crucified life? (Luke 9:23; Romans 6:6; Galatians 2:20).

To get rid the idolatrous town so that the would not pollute the children of God

I am the Lord's child dedicated and set apart for Him and for His service

To deny ourselves is to regard ourselves completely for the Lord to obey and to worship Him whatever the circumstances whether convenient or not

On 6/10/2016 at 0:52 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

God ordered it the slaughter of the people of Jericho as punishment for sin.

I am “devoted to the Lord” in the sense that I know that I am not my owner.  I have been bought with a price so priceless that to disown it brings damnation. 

Metaphorically, this relate to Jesus’ teaching to deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow him, and Paul’s teaching on the crucified life because Jesus paid the price, sacrifice His life so that I can come under the umbrella of redeemed, washed in the Blood, sins forgiven, a child of God.

God is a loving God, but He also tells us repeatedly we must obey and He is a jealous God.  God calls us to turn away from sin and seek His will for our lives, and he forgives us when we ask, but when we fail to repent and turn from our sin God does hold us accountable as well.  I believe God looks out for the well-being of all as well.  By this, He knows we are weak and that sin will tempt us to lose focus and lose sight of His love and plans for us. 

I must confess my devotion needs more consistency.   I know I am only strong through Christ working through my weakness, but I am bad at not always having God as my first priority as should be.  I'll do really well and then fall horribly short, I've tried to take up a concept I learned in a women's Bible Study "imperfect progress" and "allowing God to chisel me. "  Though as with everything--easier said than applied at times.

We must constantly remind ourselves that God is our first priority and He's ours and we are His.  It's usually more than a daily choice to put God in His place as our top priority--we are horrible about wanting God's attention but not allowing Him our attention so we can follow His plan.  I pray for God to use me and allow me to be a light and then fight feelings of inadequacy when I get called upon or asked to support someone in their journey.  Taking up our cross is a constant battle, setting baggage at the cross is easy---leaving it there is not so.

God demand that the Israelites destroy almost everyone and everything in Jericho. He was carrying out severe judgment against the wickedness of the Canaanites. This judgment, or ban, usually required that everything be destroyed. Because of their evil practices and intense idolatry, the Canaanites were a stronghold of rebellion against God. This threat to the right kind of living that God required had to be removed. If not, it would affect all Israel like a cancerous growth (as it did in the sad story told in the book of Judges). A few people and some items in Jericho were not destroyed, but these were special cases. Rahab and her household were saved because she had faith in God and because she helped the Israelite spies. The silver and gold and articles of bronze and iron were kept, not to enrich the people, but to beautify the Tabernacle and its services. God’s purpose in all this was to keep the people’s faith and religion uncontaminated. He did not want the plunder to remind Israel of Canaanite practices. God also wants us to be pure. He wants us to clean up our behavior when we begin a new life with him. We must not let the desire for personal gain distract us from our spiritual purpose. We must also reject any objects that are reminders of a life of rebellion against God.

• 2 weeks later...

All descendants of Noah, viz. his sons would know that God flooded the Earth because of the sins and sinfulness of the people, they would know who God is and how to worship Him properly and righteously , but that did not stop them from creating their own gods and worshipping them from of the top of their head what they think is right. Think about corruption in your country, nation, city or district or maybe gang activity. What happens? The rich gets richer and the poor gets oppressed and poorer. The situation reaches wher those in power does anything and any kind of thing without being punished. Think about that happening for four hundred years without repentance. Micah 7:2,3 would later give us a clue to what that is like, A three-fold cord of iniquity between the rich, the ruler and the judges exist. Not an honest man in sight. God knew that that was the situation In times of Abraham for  the Armorites and allowed them four hundred years to repent and they did not. Knowing that he had a covenant with Noah not to flood the Earth like he did he had to resort to other method to punish iniquity. We must keep in mind God's plan of salvation via the Jews and he could not allow them to live amidst such temptation lest they be tempted to sin likewise. Figuratively God even challenged the Earth which had become defiled by what was going on and the Earth had to respond by spitting out the cause, the inhabitants, from the land.

In Christ, I belong to Him and I am devoted to him . I am a steward to all that he has given me so that I can use them to his glory and according to His will." God has given us His word  which is all that pertains to life and godliness and to be truly be in Christ and safe in Christ,  we have to give up all that we were before, our culture, our traditions and get this, our blackness, our whiteness, our yellowness, our redness. We must be able to recognize ourself only through our Christianity and our Christness.

• 5 years later...

God ordered the slaughter of all people in Jericho because of the sins they committed. If they lived they would influence the people of Israel to sin like they did.

I'm devoted to the Lord with all my heart. I know that my body is the temple of God and I respect it. The fact that Jesus Christ died for our sins on the cross make me realize that we were bought with a very high price and need to do all that is pleasing to Him.

To deny ourselves means we must put aside our selfish desires and live according to His Word. We belong to Christ and we must live to serve His purpose. The power of sin over us died with Christ on the cross and we should always avoid sinful desires that keep us from following Jesus.

• 6 months later...

Q4. (Joshua 6:27)The slaughter of all the people in Jericho is difficult for us to understand.

Why do you think God ordered it?

In what sense are you "devoted to the Lord" (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).

Metaphorically, how does this relate to Jesus' teaching to deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow him, and Paul's teaching on the crucified life? (Luke 9:23; Romans 6:6; Galatians 2:20).

It was sin that made God have the people of the land be destroyed. God did not want them to be a snare to the children of Israel and have them serve the same gods and live the same immoral lifestyle.

I was bought with a price. I also lived in a 'city of sin' which needed to be destroyed and God sent His Son, Who redeemed me. Now my life belongs to Him. In fact my life is a temple of the Holy Spirit, Who dwells within me.  My life is not my own , it is 'devoted to the Lord'.

The life I live is to be the way God would have it to be. His choices are to be my choices.  Deny selfish wishes.