JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Suffering and Glory

• 2 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 2:44 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (2 Corinthians 4:16-18) In what way do our “light, momentary afflictions” achieve for us an “eternal weight of glory”? Suffering can make a person bitter or better. How can suffering work God’s character in your life?

The trials and tribulations we are going through now in this life can't be compared to the glory that shall be revealed in us. It is pittance to the treasures God has for us in the new world,

Suffering does build character in us. Let us choose for it to make us better.

It brings me to our knees, brings me closer to Him where he encourages and strengthens me, gives me understanding and lets me know he loves me and will never leave or forsake me.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 4:16-18)

Q. In what way do our "light, momentary afflictions" achieve for us an "eternal weight of glory"?

A. The magnitude of our future  glory in heaven is permanent and far outweighs the the present suffering now which is temporary.

Q. Suffering can make a person bitter or better. How can suffering work God's character in your life?

A. In suffering if people turn more and more to God and thus beholding His glory, the outcome will spiritual growth

Q3. (2 Corinthians 4:16-18) 
In what way do our "light, momentary afflictions" achieve for us an "eternal weight of glory"? 
Suffering can make a person bitter or better. 
How can suffering work God's character in your life? 

Our light, momentary afflictions may not be so light to us here on earth, but when compared to the eternal glory that lies ahead, they are light indeed. This is the comparison Paul is making in these verses, and he means that the lessons we learn through our afflictions will yield us an eternal weight of glory. It is when we view troubles through the eyes of eternity, our faith in the Lord is increased and we can trust Him fully.

Suffering changes our perspective on the hardships we endure. We mostly think of Christianity as something we do. We pray, read the Word, go to church, sing hymns, tithe, etc., when in reality the life of faith that God designed for us is all about receiving our Lord Jesus into our heart and allowing Him to change our habits, mind-sets, beliefs, interests, and concerns so we become more and more like Him. To achieve this, He strips away all obstacles to our spiritual growth. Suffering makes us fit, strengthening us to cope with hardships, and also supplies the needed parts to make us spiritually mature. Our Lord wants to be Lord of all of our life, not just a part of it, so He removes everything that relies on our self – our self-will and self-sufficiency. We cannot serve two masters – there must be a full dependence on Him.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:44 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (2 Corinthians 4:16-18) In what way do our “light, momentary afflictions” achieve for us an “eternal weight of glory”? Suffering can make a person bitter or better. How can suffering work God’s character in your life?

A.. The more we rely on and cling to and trust Him, the more He is glorified in our short lives. Afflictions are bearable because we know they won't last forever, and that they are part of entering into His suffering, as He promised we would, and that we have all of eternity to look forward to with Him.

B. In my experience the afflictions and trials and testing are one of His main "tools" (as Spurgeon liked to say) to conform us to His image. Patience and Perseverance are the only means that I know of which when borne with the understanding that our Father loves us and is allowing the trial or testing, actually conform us to His image. Afflictions draw our attention to Him, and to His word and our flesh is gradually crucified and loses its' hold on how we think and function. Afflictions cause us to depend on Him rather than ourselves.

Our “light, momentary afflictions” achieve for us “eternal weight of glory” as Christians  fight to proclaim God’s words and are often met with obstacles such as persecution and  non-believers trying to refrain them from getting this accomplished.  For Christ people, these obstacles/afflictions are not insurmountable because of their deep faith in God.  They concentrate not on the distractions, but look internally  with anticipation to sharing Christ’s eternal glory, joy and peace.  They are well aware of Timothy’s words “God will reward those who trust in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior for their sufferings for Jesus’ sake” 2 Timothy 4:6-8   

Suffering causes us to reflect on our relationship with God.  Maybe we should look on our suffering when we exclaim “why me Lord?” not negatively but positively, though difficult for many and recognize how its purpose is to purify our souls and bring us closer to God, especially if we have strayed away.  Suffering shows us God’s mercy, love, forgiveness, healing power and that we are His children and He cares for us.

Suffering humble us. God said to reign with him that we must suffer with him. We can feed our flesh for a temporary solution but we have to feed our spirt to get eternal glory. Suffering is also how God discipline us to become in his image. He love us too much to leave us the way that we are. All things work together for our good. Suffering doesn't feel good but it is good for us.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 4:16-18) In what way do our “light, momentary afflictions” achieve for us an “eternal weight of glory”? If we just look at our present troubles, we fall into despair. We must see our current problems in the light of our glorious inheritance in heaven. This is the secret of ever-increasing faith!

Suffering can make a person bitter or better. If you truly have Christ it can make you better, because when the suffering and pain here on earth is over, you will never have to experience such suffering again with the eternal life with God.

How can suffering work God’s character in your life? Just fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:18) It brings me Suffering causes us to reflect on our relationship with God.  Maybe we should look on our suffering when we exclaim “why me Lord?” not negatively but positively, though difficult for many and recognize how its purpose is to purify our souls and bring us closer to God, especially if we have strayed away.  Suffering shows us God’s mercy, love, forgiveness, healing power and that we are His children and He cares for us.to our knees, brings me closer to Him where he encourages and strengthens me, gives me understanding and lets me know he loves me and will never leave or forsake me.

On 12/16/2016 at 1:44 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Our present momentary afflictions we suffer will help us to realise that suffering now only reminds us of the eternal glory we will have in eternity with Christ.

Suffering can work God's in us because it reminds us of the suffering on the cross the Lord bore for us. For only a little while we suffer, but later to live with him.  

Q3. (2 Corinthians 4:16-18) In what way do our "light, momentary afflictions" achieve for us an "eternal weight of glory"? Suffering can make a person bitter or better. How can suffering work God's character in your life?

1.  It will achieve for us going to hell. We should not look at our present situation because it will cause us to despair. The long-term glory exceeds the momentary light trouble by so much that the comparison is trivial -- beyond all measure! 

2.  It can make a person better. It helps us to get stronger. "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs all of our problems." (2 Corinthians 4:17)

3.  It can humble us, help us to be patient, get us stronger in God, and be an example to others. It helps our inner man get renewed.

Knowing that our afflictions in this life are temporary, and that God uses all thing to work for good to those who love Him, we can put our trust in His love.  As we suffer, we can either be filled with self-pity-which leads to bitterness, or we can fix our eyes on Him, knowing that our reward for trusting Him will be salvation, which is eternal.  As we suffer and draw closer to Him for His strength, He helps us in our suffering and changes us from glory to glory...IF we trust Him.

Q3.

In lose heart make us believe ourselve and sometimes make us in trouble nobody help. Than come us in suffering time bitter or better.

We think why God did not help, if i prayed many times, we are breaking down.

So in moment like this I will try again to see what God' character gave me in my life to be patient, love, forgive, pray, sing worship him. And suffering change  from my life. Only trust Him.

Q3. (2 Corinthians 4:16-18) In what way do our "light, momentary afflictions" achieve for us an "eternal weight of glory"? Suffering can make a person bitter or better. How can suffering work God's character in your life?

It is easy to lose heart and quit. We all have faced problems in our relationships or in our work that have caused us to think about giving up. Rather than quitting when persecution wore him down, Paul concentrated on the inner strength that came from the Holy Spirit. We should not let fatigue, pain, or criticism force you off the job. Renew your commitment to serving Christ. Don’t forsake your eternal reward because of the intensity of today’s pain. Your very weakness allows the resurrection power of Christ to strengthen you moment by moment.

Our troubles should not diminish our faith or disillusion us. We should realize that there is a purpose in our suffering. Problems and human limitations have several benefits: (1) They remind us of Christ’s suffering for us; (2) they keep us from pride; (3) they cause us to look beyond this brief life; (4) they give us opportunities to prove our faith to others; and (5) they give God the opportunity to demonstrate his power. See your troubles as opportunities!

Our ultimate hope when we are experiencing terrible illness, persecution, or pain is the realization that this life is not all there is—there is life after death! Knowing that we will live forever with God in a place without sin and suffering can help us live above the pain that we face in this life.

• 2 weeks later...

Light and momentary afflictions will bring us great dispair and troublesome moments but will give eternal weight of glory if we bear them till the end.

Suffering will make a person better not bitter because firstly it will teach us how keep ourself humble without pride, as Jesus has suffered for our sins and never retialated we should also learn that, these troubles are only momentary and temperory but our aim is eternal life where there is peace and everlasting happiness, and these sufferings make us to be strong in faith.

When suffering happen in our lives it brings us close to God as the pain will make us remember God, as we have seen the life of JOB how with  the initial  sufferings he was tested and was testified as a humble servent of God who did not curse for his fufferings, as Christ whent through the sufferings to the eternal kingdom to be on the right hand side of the heavenly father, we also keep Christ's sufferings before us and treat all the sufferings we face as minor and simple compared what Jesus has faced here for us. Sufferings change our lifes perception before God and makes us eligilbe to lead a life without suffering eternally, like parable of the rich man in the hell with his throat dry with thirst, on the other hand we see Lazar who suffered here on the earth is now having peace in the presence of the Lord in paradise.

The afflictions causes us to turn to Christ as we are unable to do anything about the situation. 

Suffering work God's character in my life as I yield to him the problem and trust in him.

• 3 weeks later...

I like to think that our “light, momentary afflictions” brings me closer to God. This achieves for us an “eternal weight of glory” because we know that this affliction isn’t going to last long and we have something better to look forward to. Suffering can work God’s character in my life because when I suffer I want to get closer to God therefore or I try to do the things that God wants me to.

• 1 month later...

AFFLICTIONS ACHIEVE ETERNAL WEIGHT OF GLORY: looking at problems from the perspective of having received what is promised (glory more than troubles), an abundance of more of God (seeking Him)

SUFFERING WORKS GOD'S CHARACTER: being changed as Christ suffered - share with Him (have fellowship), pain forces us to look up thereby growing us up is the result;being transformed by His grace within us as we go through situations; see suffering as a stepping stone in the process of being changed and challenged;

• 2 months later...
On 12/16/2016 at 11:44 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Our afflict actions are minor and it is something that in faith we need to give it to God.  In the long run w will be with our father in heaven and all,our afflictions will be healed.  Suffering can make or break us.  While we are suffering, turn it to God.  He is the only one that can see us through our suffering.  He is our steady source of comfort.  Turn to him and listen to what he has to say.

• 11 months later...
On 12/16/2016 at 1:44 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

They build our spirit’s stronger and stronger in the Lord.  When we are afflicted by something, we should turn to God and pray to Him.  When we pray to God, then He can work His miracles in us or through us.  Suffering is something that everyone goes through, and it’s not fun at all, some can’t handle it.  Some people will become bitter at God blaming Him, while the wise people will learn from their suffering and grow in faith.  While suffering is not fun at all, it builds our souls stronger in the Lord.  God doesn’t necessarily want us to suffer, it’s just a part of life.  We will either grow stronger in faith or reject the Lord which is the wrong thing to do.

• 4 years later...

When we do  not focus on our light, momentary afflictions but fix our eyes our Jesus we will the achieve eternal weight of glory. Our problem as people is that we do not understand that all these things that we go through are temporary but only the Word of God is permanent and eternal. We need to be attentive to what God says in His Word to that momentary afflictions will definitely pass.

If we put our faith in God, we will understand His character that before the foundations of the world, God never destined us to go through sufferings and that He still has good intentions about our lives. God cares for us that is why He says in His Word "all who are heavily laden, come to Me and I will give your rest." God still cares and loves us such that He did not want us to perish but have everlasting life by giving us His begotten Son.