JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Never Give Up

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Ezra 6:1-12) When faced with “insurmountable odds,” why do we give up so easily? What are the characteristics of a disciple who retains a robust faith in the God of amazing breakthroughs and impossible solutions?

1. I was really thinking about this question because I'm one who is easily discouraged! Then I remembered that Perseverance is a fruit of the Spirit...and that it is only cultivated through long, painful trials and testing. Since it takes years to become  woven into a believers life, the "in between" years are vulnerable to discouragement and "a fainting spirit and "weakening knees" that Isaiah speaks about.

I think some of us are more easily discouraged than others based on how we were nurtured (or not, as in my case) in childhood. If children are encouraged and reassured when facing a daunting situation they have more resilience than those who are left on their own to struggle through life. Children who grow up in a Christian home with love and support seem more likely to thrive when challenged in life. I came late to faith, but my Heavenly Father is a wonderful cheerleader, champion and advocate for me! We're facing daunting situations on several fronts right now. Just last night my "knees were weakening" and my spirit was sinking in discouragement (in spite of the hundreds of times He has faithfully delivered us and provided for us!!!). I asked "What would you say to me tonight Papa?" Before I finished the sentence I heard "I am perfecting that which concerns you"  Immediately I was reassured, courage returned, and peace prevailed.

2. I can only imagine what the characteristics are for this question, because though having much faith in many situations, I'm lacking "robust faith" in impossible situations,  but I'm so thankful for the One who holds me up and walks with me in my weaknesses and Who has promised to see me safely Home one day. Jesus is a "weakness magnet"....coming in like a flood to support us with His strength and power. How I thank you Jesus for your faithful love and care and that when I am weak, you are ALWAYS strong and ALWAYS available to uphold me, ALWAYS loving me unconditionally! (I just saw In my minds eye, a picture of a mother cat carrying her kitten in her mouth. That's how I feel sometimes...that He carries me by the scruff of my neck to a safe place. :wub:

Q4. (Ezra 6:1-12) When faced with “insurmountable odds,” why do we give up so easily?

Answer: Because we lack faith in God that He is in control of everything.

What are the characteristics of a disciple who retains a robust faith in the God of amazing breakthroughs and impossible solutions?

Answer: Solid faith and belief that God knows everything that is going on.

I think that the reason that, when faced with “insurmountable odds”, we give up so easily is because we hadn’t gone to God for help. The characteristic of a disciple who retains a robust faith in God in impossible solutions is that he is praying all the time. He will know God’s timing and will act on that time. He also knows that God is with him and will be protecting him.

On 8/15/2017 at 5:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Ezra 6:1-12) When faced with “insurmountable odds,” why do we give up so easily? What are the characteristics of a disciple who retains a robust faith in the God of amazing breakthroughs and impossible solutions?

We give up easily because we are discouraged.  Sometimes it can be seen as lack up faith.  One that retains a robust faith is strong in their belief that the promises of God would come to fruition.  God is in control. 

On 8/15/2017 at 4:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

A disciple that stays close to the Lord, and values his or her relationship with the Lord is a disciple that will continue when others turn away.

Receiving the words of correction as well as word's of encouragement from the Lord, is the mark of a disciple that will endure to the end.

Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, “This is a hard saying; who can understand it?”

When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, “Does this offend you?  What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before?  It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.  But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more. Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”

But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”John 6:60-69

46 minutes ago, blezed said:

We give up easily because we are discouraged.  Sometimes it can be seen as lack up faith.  One that retains a robust faith is strong in their belief that the promises of God would come to fruition.  God is in control. 

I believe like Peter when he was walking on the water to Jesus we take our eyes off of the Master. We start out all faith believing but when things begin to get even more difficult, we take our eyes off of Jesus, we forget His promises and we begin to think about the problem how big our problem is and we forget how big and powerful is the God we serve.

To have robust faith is to constantly declare the Word of God, reminding ourselves of what the Word says no matter the circumstances. Somedays doubt and fear may want to cripple our faith but even then because we believe Gods Word we still declare "we are more than conquerors " " God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power and love and of a sound mind" . It's standing on Gods Word no matter the circumstances believing that He is faithful and would never give us more than we can bear and that He will bring to pass His promises in our lives.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

A.I believe when some of us are faced with insurmountable odds we lack the faith we need to trust God, when life problems become so cutting we look to other solutions to help solve our issues instead of just trusting God.

B. The characteristic of a disciple who retains robust faith is simply one whom , Trust in the Lord with all their heart and they lean not unto their own understanding, they wait on they for He shall renew their strength. Their faith is strong, because with faith it is impossible to please God, Now faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen. 

It is difficult for me to answer this question for others, however; I make a conscientious effort to not give up easily because I serve a risen Savior who has told me He would supply all of my needs and to walk in FAITH.  

The characteristics of a robust faithful saint is one who is not selfish but is willing to deny themselves, pick up their cross,  and will blindly follow the Messiah until His return.

I know full well what it is to give up...I did. I had been in church for a few years even bringing my family to finally join me. But my faith was weak, my spiritual foundation was weak. Eventually I fell away from God. But God is faithful! When I faced insurmountable odds...everything was stripped from me! He saved me! 

Today....I turn to Him in everything that I do. Even for what I'm going to eat. And when the struggles of life come, I rejoice and simply ask Him "show me Lord what I should do" and He does. Weather it's moving forward, staying still, or letting go. He guides my way.

I think the characteristics of a disciple with robust faith is some one like Paul...it is always on my mind as an example...he was in prison facing persecution, death!, and he said...Phillipians 3:8 I consider it all loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Jesus Christ. For his sake I consider them all garbage that I may gain Christ. Paul continued to 'rejoice' in the Lord at every point of persecution and impossible odds because of what He knew about Christ. He he considered death better!, because then he'd be with Christ, but went on to say, "bit if Christ chooses for me to go on living I will do so sharing the gospel. 

On 9/10/2017 at 11:57 AM, JanMary said:

1. I was really thinking about this question because I'm one who is easily discouraged! Then I remembered that Perseverance is a fruit of the Spirit...and that it is only cultivated through long, painful trials and testing. Since it takes years to become  woven into a believers life, the "in between" years are vulnerable to discouragement and "a fainting spirit and "weakening knees" that Isaiah speaks about.

I think some of us are more easily discouraged than others based on how we were nurtured (or not, as in my case) in childhood. If children are encouraged and reassured when facing a daunting situation they have more resilience than those who are left on their own to struggle through life. Children who grow up in a Christian home with love and support seem more likely to thrive when challenged in life. I came late to faith, but my Heavenly Father is a wonderful cheerleader, champion and advocate for me! We're facing daunting situations on several fronts right now. Just last night my "knees were weakening" and my spirit was sinking in discouragement (in spite of the hundreds of times He has faithfully delivered us and provided for us!!!). I asked "What would you say to me tonight Papa?" Before I finished the sentence I heard "I am perfecting that which concerns you"  Immediately I was reassured, courage returned, and peace prevailed.

2. I can only imagine what the characteristics are for this question, because though having much faith in many situations, I'm lacking "robust faith" in impossible situations,  but I'm so thankful for the One who holds me up and walks with me in my weaknesses and Who has promised to see me safely Home one day. Jesus is a "weakness magnet"....coming in like a flood to support us with His strength and power. How I thank you Jesus for your faithful love and care and that when I am weak, you are ALWAYS strong and ALWAYS available to uphold me, ALWAYS loving me unconditionally! (I just saw In my minds eye, a picture of a mother cat carrying her kitten in her mouth. That's how I feel sometimes...that He carries me by the scruff of my neck to a safe place. 

We forget that God is always there us and answers our prayers.  We forget that our faith is being tested.

One characteristic is to zealously put God first, be steadfast in faith knowing that God will see you through all adversities..  Another is abiding by God’s words, His commamdments and preaching them to everyone.  Another is to show love for all fellowmen.

On 8/15/2017 at 2:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Forgetting who is in control of the situation & not trusting the One who Is in control of the situation. Some people seem to just naturally go to pieces when feeling threatened and lose sight of the task at hand, forgetting that things are happening somewhere else at the same time, the throne of God. Many things can come to the mind of one who becomes scared or forgets who is running the show and the fact that He is running it for His glory. All to often it is through this method that one finds out that what they are doing is not actually what they should be doing, although that is  different case apart from the question.

A disciple of Christ in retaining a robust faith will first seek God when trouble comes. The problem with that statement is "when trouble comes", which can often be avoided by maintaining constant contact (praying always) with the God of amazing breakthroughs and impossible solutions. That is not to say troubles will not come because one way or another should be expected since Jesus told us troubles would come. It is throught these times God gives us His best. How could one expect a breakthrough or impossible solution if everything was perfect? This requires such a disciple to always be in God's Word and in constant communication with Him and putting Him first in everything throwing ands, ifs, or buts to the ocean to be forever drowned.

On 8/15/2017 at 4:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

When faced with insurmountable odds we usually give up because we simply can not see our goals being accomplished. We forget that God has no obstacles.

The characteristics of a disciple who robust faith in God sees no obstacles before him when doing the Lords will. He trust in the Lord and his faith helps him accomplish the Lord's will.   

If you can march 1,000 miles and not feel tired, you are undefeatable", so says Sun Tzu in the Art of War.  But in times of severe adversity, am I willing to go the distance longer than my adversary.  Christ went the distance and gave His life for us.  When called upon to do the same many of us are unwilling.  It is much easier to “give in.”  As Christians we are called upon to overcome, to endure and to transform a sinful world into the love of God and our neighbor as ourselves.  Do I have the capacity to endure suffering in order to bring this about?  The only way I can truthfully answer this question would be to live through this situation.  One can always “talk the talk” but to “walk the walk” is another story.

The word “disciple” means follower.  In Jesus’ day it was customary for a teacher to travel around while his students literally followed him.  They would ask questions and dialogue as they walked along with him.  Thus, a disciple is one who follows Christ, who walks in His ways and seeks to imitate Him.

I believe we forget that God is who is in control of all things. Things that look unreachable or unachievable to us are very reachable and achievable to God. It is God who closes doors and opens doors. It is He who allows us to go through these trials or barriers sometimes to test our faith in HIm. We tend to do things with our strength and our own ability and in turn it wears us out. So we just give up or say it can't be done.

A disciple with a robust faith is determined. He turns to prayer for God's direction and guidance. He learns from the Master Teacher Jesus. He knows his strength comes from God and that he has been empowered by the Holy Spirit to accomplish God's perfect will. A true disciple perseveres under any type of pressure because he knows in whom he has placed his faith: God Almighty, Creator of all things. If God is for us who can be against us!  

Q4. (Ezra 6:1-12) When faced with "insurmountable odds," why do we give up so easily? What are the characteristics of a disciple who retains a robust faith in the God of amazing breakthroughs and impossible solutions?

A song I like says "...I can't even walk without you (Jesus) holding my hand.". We forget Jesus is watching over our shoulder, ready to support us when we falter. The characteristics of a disciple is just that, robust faith, an unshakable faith. Paul had it, John had it, Peter and James had it. Total surrender to Jesus! 

On 8/16/2017 at 7:20 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Give up easily? Not sure about giving up, as one of my mantras is 'don't quit'. For nearly 10 years I have had circumstances that seemed insurmountable (financial, family, health), even now. I look for a solution (the engineer in me), but at times there seems to be none and I am left to lean fully on God. Two weeks ago I was prostrate on the ground crying out to God, for all seemed hopeless in many areas of my life, but there is hope. God does hear our prayers and answer our prayers. Often, I have found He answers miraculously in the 11th hour; saying, why did you worry? When I looked like drowning on my honeymoon, I quietly called out to Jesus (in my heart, as I was 15ft under in a channel in the Pacific Ocean with a strong rip, not knowing where it could take me. It was like a dream and instantaneous I had a peace and confidence to surface and swim to shore with a strength and endurance I never though I had.

Characteristics? A heart for God and people. Humble to be a chosen son of God. Always listening and teachable. Eager desire to grow to be more like Jesus. 

Q4. (Ezra 6:1-12) 
When faced with "insurmountable odds," why do we give up so easily? 
What are the characteristics of a disciple who retains a robust faith in the God of amazing breakthroughs and impossible solutions? 

For most of my life my anchor in life has been Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths”. Whenever I have faced difficulties or have had to make important decisions, I always turn to Him for guidance and assurance. I bring it all to the Lord in prayer, acknowledging Him and trusting Him fully for a breakthrough and for the correct solution to any problem. The bottom line for getting through life’s difficulties and impossible solutions is to trust and obey. It is an eternal combination that always makes us a winner. 

We must also admit our inadequacy - leaning not on our own understanding. Of course, as far as my limited understanding goes, any answer or decision has been well researched. It is then for us to wait upon the Lord. To wait on the Lord is vital, and is a very blessed time for serious introspection. We know that whenever we ask in accordance with His will, He hears us, and if He hears us whatever we ask, He will answer us. We can thus with certainty say we will receive divine guidance and/or help. We must never under estimate the power of prayer.

His wisdom is given to those who look to Him, lean on Him, rely on Him. The more we depend on our Father for instruction, strength, hope, and guidance, the more abundantly He confers on us His divine wisdom. We cannot receive wisdom from God apart from a relationship with Him.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Because of  tiredness, weariness and unbelief. We begin to doubt the promises of God, we feel all alone in our pain and struggles, we sometimes think God has abandoned us or will not come through, so we resort to our own human efforts and plans, which only makes it worse. One with robust faith is one who trust the Lord no matter how impossible or desperate the circumstance appear. He walks by faith in Christ and not by sight. And faith pleases God. Faith is much more powerful than sight. Anyone can say what they see, but it takes faith to call those things that are not as though they already are.

We give so easily because our faith is not rooted firmly in Christ. Our foundations may not be strong and we are like the seeds who fell on the stone that the wind blows away. We are discouraged as we fear failure and rejection.

Faith has to overcome the fear, if we yearn to be as disciples who retain a robust faith  we must have a prayerful walk with God facing all odds with the strength and trust that God will control and take care of the situation. We should be able to persevere in difficult situations.

I know because of  I walked alone with my mind to follow my Emotion but not way out.

The characteristics of our Faith go with Holy Spirit in every Situation, our God promises us to safe and never leave us alone. We make better our relationship with Lord, open our problem and give Him praise, so we can see our impossble solution, Amin.

Why are we discouraged  when facing ?

We do not persevere  enough to wait and see what God is doing. It indicates that we may not have our faith in God but with our ability  .We look at the outside circumstances  and logical see we can do nothing .I have found myself in this position rather often where I forget what God has promised  .

Characteristics of a disciple  who retains faith despite  insurmountable  odds 

I'm encouraged  by 

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28 NKJV

Nothing catches God with surprise  .As long as I'm in right standing with God ,He make everything (including insurmountable odds)  work for good. 

Having faith that God can do what men cannot do. 

But He said, “The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.” Luke 18:27 NKJV

Not being weary  of doing good 

And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.
Galatians 6:9 NKJV

Having faith in our God and know what He can do 

Those who do wickedly against the covenant he shall corrupt with flattery; but the people who know their God shall be strong, and carry out great  exploits.
Daniel 11:32 NKJV

Q4. (Ezra 6:1-12)

Q. When faced with "insurmountable odds," why do we give up so easily?

A. Lack of faith in the Lord God Almighty. We often forget the mighty acts done by God for us in the past, otherwise, we would know that He would overcome the odds for us. 

Q. What are the characteristics of a disciple who retains a robust faith in the God of amazing breakthroughs and impossible solutions?

A. He has strong sustainable faith in the Lord God Almighty for deliverance and victory over the enemy.