JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Taking Pleasure

• 1 month later...

When I fail to complete a project that would bring Him glory.  My wrong priorities.

When I take pleasure in Him.

Wrong choices, having no "stick to it" ness, letting small setbacks slow me down or even stop me. 
Bring joy back into our relationship.

Q1. (Haggai 1:8) God wishes to "take pleasure" in the temple, but the people have stopped working on the project. When is God displeased with you? When does he "take pleasure" in you? What is keeping you from serving him deliberately and joyfully?

God is displeased when excuses are made instead of taking responsibility and doing what needs to be done, displeased when we are self centered instead of God centered. God is pleased when we put Him first, both in thought and behavior. The biggest obstacle to pleasing God is living in a secular world. Keeping God first and living according to the scriptures is a very difficult thing to do. The physical world screams to the flesh. Paul tells us we are in a spiritual war so according to Ephesians 6 13-18 we need to put on the whole armor of God. 

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Haggai 1:8) God wishes to “take pleasure” in the temple, but the people have stopped working on the project. When is God displeased with you? When does he “take pleasure” in you? What is keeping you from serving him deliberately and joyfully?

1. Interesting Question. I just asked Him because I have no idea. I am serving Him deliberately and joyfully. My life has been filled with grief and tragedy and sadness. Perhaps that is why He  almost daily speaks words of comfort, love and tenderness to me.

This week as I read my devotions and chapters in John,  and some psalms I wrote down the things he whispered:

I AM: supplying you with one grace upon another, spiritual blessing upon spiritual blessing, favor upon favor, and gift heaped upon gift. (John 1:16)

I AM: always welcoming you to come into My Presence joyfully and confidently.

I AM: Preparing you to receive as much joy and love as you can hold!

I Am: Growing you under the load of your cross. My cross is to lean on, not to stumble you or cast you down.

I Am: Drawing you close to ripen your wisdom, deepen your peace, increase your courage, augment your power in order to increase your service to others.

I AM: Shaping your hard times to be healing times.

I AM: Pleased when even the most routine part of your day becomes an act of worship.

I AM: Perfecting  that which concerns you. (Psalm138:8)

I AM: enlarging you by the binding of sorrows chain.

One day when I felt defeated, He whispered : I AM your biggest fan and cheerleader.   What a wonderful, tender and loving Father He is Who has chosen us and gifted us to His Son Who loves us so much that He gave up Heaven to come down and die for each of us in order to give us back to His Father as His love gift! We are held tightly in His arms in that circle of love.

Q 1. (Haggai 1:8) God wishes to “take pleasure” in the temple, but the people have stopped working on the project.  It is interesting to note that history says for all the magnificence and splendor of Solomon’s Temple it was destroyed, as was several other Temples built after it’s destruction.  So, we are beginning to see that the enduring Temple man is to build is not a material structure, but the temple of the body which Christ came to transform.  From this idea I am reminded of what Paul tells us: “Your body, you know, is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you since you received him from God.  You are not your own property; you have been brought and paid for.  That is why you should use your body for the glory of God.” (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).

When is God displeased with you?    When I fail to listen to His Word.  When I lose the courage to stand up for His laws.  When I fall in line with the material world because it is easier to live that way.

When does he “take pleasure” in you?  When I realized that God truly loves me, and that it is in the little things I do that pleases Him.  If we serve Him out of love, He puts up with all the blunders, sulkiness, frailties etc. that we have.

What is keeping you from serving Him deliberately and joyfully?  Attitude, a lack of Awareness and Trust keep us from serving God.  However, the nearer my soul get to God the more I feel like a sponge pitched into the ocean surrounded by the waters of His love on every side.  The love of God can fill your heart and help you to see the positives in your life.  No matter how bad things are – He wins in the end or so the Bible reassures us.

On 8/15/2017 at 5:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Haggai 1:8) God wishes to “take pleasure” in the temple, but the people have stopped working on the project. When is God displeased with you? When does he “take pleasure” in you? What is keeping you from serving him deliberately and joyfully?

God is displeased with us when we put others or other things first.  When we put God first we formulate the right relationship with him.   He will provide for our deepest needs.  Sometimes I put other things before him.  I convince myself that I am always attending church services, teaching, ushering etc., I can miss service or teaching just this one time.  

Q1. (Haggai 1:8) God wishes to "take pleasure" in the temple, but the people have stopped working on the project. When is God displeased with you? When does he "take pleasure" in you? What is keeping you from serving him deliberately and joyfully?

God is displeased with me, when I squander time away due to distractions that need not be, and as a result, that which could easily have been accomplished gets thrown to the wayside and an attempt made to forget about it. Also, when I get in the bickering mood which creates a state of tension among others keeping someone on edge needlessly, when the atmosphere should be cheery and bright.

When does he “take pleasure” in me? Maybe if I made some changes like getting rid of things I can live without, like television, with a possible exception such as the news. Avoiding social media on the internet would also be a good place to recover time carelessly lost by using it in way such as connecting/staying in touch with people and for the promotion of the gospel. If I were to act as I ought to, and quit causing disruptions where I shouldn’t I’m sure God would be more pleased with me.

Things like TV, and not digging to the root of the problem of acting as I do  are the greatest threats to me serving God deliberately and joyfully.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I believe God is displeased when we are disobedient to His will, His ways and His Word. He is pleased when we are quick to obey Him because He knows obedience to His Word brings the blessings. I need to make an effort to serve Him joyfully, like when I first came to know Him as my Lord and Saviour.

God is displeased when people do not do as he wishes or as he dictates. And to the contrary God is pleased when we follow his directions. Often we do not please God deliberately and joyfully because we are slothful and lazy.

God wishes to take pleasure in us, for we are the temple of the Holy Spirit. He takes pleasure when we put God first in our lives over everything else: when we make time to pray, when we take time to read the bible to know and understand His ways and walk in them.  God takes pleasure in us when we surrender our hearts to Him. He takes pleasure in watching us develop into "mature trees" bearing much fruit. Mature disciples. Wholly willing and ready to be used by Him for His honor and glory. God is pleased when we serve Him joyfully not because we feel we have to.  God is pleased when we walk in Faith not knowing what lies ahead but wholly dependent on Him to take us wherever He leads us. 

We displease God when we go against His will and instead put our will before His(disobedience). When we neglect our spiritual life to focus in our physical needs instead.  Christians who's hearts have grown cold because they have stopped reading the bible, have stopped praying, have lost interest in attending worship services(church). It displeases God to see us stagnate, not growing spiritually, not being fruitful, not producing.

Sometimes I am so pressed for time that I miss opportunities to serve God. Whether at helping out at church more, attending prayer meetings, or volunteering at shelters. My prayer time with God at home is  sometimes cut short because I don't wake up early enough to give God His time. I need to work in this area. 

My God is displesed with me because of God wishes not in His plan. But I never give up to serve him deliberately and joyfully.

He knows  me, He has power, He forgives me, and give me new perspective.Amin.

On 8/15/2017 at 4:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

God is displeased with me when I fail or procrastinate doing his will for me, putting it off till later usually the decision I make when I fell I will fail.

The Lord takes pleasure in me when I immediately do what his will for me to do. No procrastination, no deciding that someone else can do it better.

Usually what keeps me from doing the Lord's will is the fact that everyone else wants me to stay put and let someone else do it. But, when I do get the opportunity to do his will I feel immensely joyful that I have accomplished what he wanted me to do,           

Q1. (Haggai 1:8) 
God wishes to "take pleasure" in the temple, but the people have stopped working on the project. 
When is God displeased with you? 
When does He "take pleasure" in you? 
What is keeping you from serving Him deliberately and joyfully? 

Without faith it is impossible to please God. If we reject God’s testimony about His Son Jesus, we are accusing Him of dishonesty – it is the same as calling God a liar. Anyway, the mind-set of the sinner is enmity against God. They are actively hostile to our Lord and want to be in control of their life, and will not bow down to His rule – they are too self-centred for this. There is nothing an unsaved person can do to please God – no good works, no religious ceremonies, no sacrificial activities, absolutely nothing. Nothing can compensate for the lack of faith.

All who call upon the name of Christ for salvation, should have as their goal to please and glorify their Heavenly Father. This entails seeking God by faith, walking in the Spirit, and submitting in obedience to His will. On our own it would be impossible to do. However, God wants us to please Him, and has therefore made this possible to achieve with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in our hearts. It is when we live by His commandments that we show our love for Jesus. Jesus Himself said "If you love me, you will keep my commandments” John 14:15. 

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 5:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

God is displeased with me when I stop focusing on HIM and making HIM a priority in my life.   It is important I stay focused on Matthew 6:33.

God takes pleasure in me when I allow HIM to order my daily steps in HIS WORDS and not get distracted by day to day busyness.   

There are days I get caught up in my own personal nonsense or vanities.  I call it nonsense/vanities, because Ecclesiastes reminds us that most of our day to day busyness ends up being wasted time and effort.  

Q1. (Haggai 1:8) God wishes to “take pleasure” in the temple, but the people have stopped working on the project. When is God displeased with you?

Answer: When I commit sin against Him, when I only thought about myself, when I do something immoral which displeases Him.

When does he “take pleasure” in you?

Answer: When I put priority on Him, when I thought of Him & obey His will rather than to give pleasure to myself & my immorality.

What is keeping you from serving him deliberately and joyfully?

Answer: My selfishness, my sin, inequities & transgressions.

Q1. (Haggai 1:8)

Q. God wishes to "take pleasure" in the temple, but the people have stopped working on the project. When is God displeased with you?

A. Whenever I do not obey Him, by failure to do what pleases Him.

Q. When does he "take pleasure" in you?

A. Whenever I obey Him and do what He wants done.

Q. What is keeping you from serving him deliberately and joyfully?

A. sloppiness only.

Q1. (Haggai 1:8) God wishes to "take pleasure" in the temple, but the people have stopped working on the project. When is God displeased with you? When does he "take pleasure" in you? What is keeping you from serving him deliberately and joyfully?

1.When I hear him and do not obey.When I say things that are not the nicest.

2.When I am reading (studying) his word, praying, fasting, and helping others.He likes it when I praise and worship him.

3.Nothing because I am learning how to talk in a nicer way and say nicer things that will help someone else.Nothing because he gives me strength to go on.

• 2 weeks later...

God takes pleasure in the temple but people have stopped working on the project and they first built beautiful homes for themselves to live, leaving Gods home in rubles. Here our Lord is reminding us that are we also like the Israelis of that day, He wants us to built God's home that is Temple first before we give priorities to other things in our live this temple what he wants us to built for Him is in our heart, pure and sacred, if we do this then he will be pleased with us and takes pleasure in us. But I am  keeping  myself busy with my daily chores, with my selfishness which lead to  sinful thoughts and activities,  which do not please Him,  these deliberately done activities are not allowing me to joyfully serve Him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 2:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

God displeased with with me when I knowingly disobeys His commandments.  God “take pleasure” in me when I  am obeying His Word, when I walk in the Spirit and when my worship is in spirit and in truth; no fluff, but genuinely from the heart.  There is no excuse for me not serving God deliberately and joyfully.  I can make a decision to serve God with my whole heart, mind and spirit; regardless of what is happening around me. It's my choice.  Praise the Lord!

• 4 weeks later...

I think/feel God is displeased when I am "pharisee to the Pharisees"in that I use the same rhetorical devices, nit-picking (splinters) BUT do it with a cold heart e.g not really concerned with their welfare, especially eternal, but rather more egotistically wanting to be "right".  It then starts a downward spiral where I continue to "re-play" the scene or argument and start actively (or at least in my imagination) doing harm, wanting to call out the other or taking my own interpretation of selected Scripture verses to justify shunning them as fragments of Paul and John admonition to avoid non-believers within the congregation--justify on-going withdrawal, avoidance under the "avoiding Evil" rubric.

also when I get impatient that God doesn't seem to need me to do anything for Him, and either get discouraged and start slacking off both during my prayer time (talking to Him) and study (Bible, related readings when I am listening to Him); after awhile get antsy and follow my own counsel, not being patient enough even when I keep hearing the soft. gentle voice "BE Still and Know that I am God" so get Pelegian like plunging forward which despite my self confidence (delusion?) does not end well from my perspective which is kind of a lack of Faith and Hope that God turns all things to Good.

Generally speaking and as Scripture teaches, God is pleased or displeased with me according to the way I live out my faith.  Nothing keeps me from serving him deliberately and joyfully.