JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Harmony in the Church

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general I feel that all of these qualities are present in the church I attend. The need is to strengthen what is there. In other words, the bond of unity needs to be stronger. The most important quality mentioned here is affection or love for one another. If we have that, the others will spring from that one major quality. If we have love, we will have harmony, sympathy, compassion and humility. We will be grudge free.

The best way that I can strengthen these qualities in my church is to display them in my own life. Be an example to others.

I feel that these qualities are all very evident in our church. Our church family especially excels when anyone in our church or community (regardless of religious affliation) is having a difficult time due to sickness, loss of a loved one, etc. The support given is amazing. Being in a pastoral charge that has three separate congregations under one church council, I find that we do not as a pastoral charge do things well together. Interesting that as we study this portion of the Scripture, we are being faced with a bleak future for one of the churches and a life span of about ten years for the remaining two. Chairing a meeting several weeks ago we discussed how we can become one and do things together. By showing love and support towards each other I feel we can overcome our proudness and become humble and work towards the good of God's kingdom. We have to realize that the church in our community may not look as it is today, but that the work of God can be fulfilled in a new and more meaningful way. We have to be able to let go of the past and serve God in the way that he is preparing for us. :)

Q1. (3:8-9) Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation? Which are most needed? What can you and your friends do to change the relational climate at your Church so it is more Christ-like?

Having attended this fellowship for only a few months I can offer only a cursory view. This is a very warm and welcoming group. We sense the love of God among them and toward us as we feel very received. I would have to say that this fellowship exhibits harmonious living as the most evident quality. Again it is hard to evaluate any deficiency among them and I really don't want to start looking for faults.

I suppose the adage is true that says you are either part of the solution or part of the problem. If I do detect a perceived lack I should ask God how I might be used to fill that void. 1) I should look at my own walk and determine if the problem is with me. 2) I should go to the pastor and talk frankly with him about my concerns 3) I should pray and find the source of the lack 4) I should walk in love toward everyone in that fellowship and focus more so upon those I have difficulty with. 5) I should invite other brothers and sisters over to my home or out to coffee (we drink lots of coffee in Canada) for fellowship so I can get to know them better. 6) I think home fellowships are helpful to build relationship.

I see basically all the qualities that are evident in my congregation. We have had people to became a part of our congregation because of the love shown.

This is one of the things that drew them along with the word. If I just had to name one that was most needed it might be harmonious in the sense that our older ones might disagree about change. We continue to be compassionate and understanding and they soon come around. We changed the relational climate in our church so it is more Christlike by sticking to the word, living the word of God and continue to show LOVE regardless. LOVE IS THE KEY!

Q1. (3:8-9) Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation? Which are most needed? What can you and your friends do to change the relational climate at your Church so it is more Christ-like?

It varies. The most needed qualities are those of forgiveness and love. Yes, we need to have harmony. However, when even our own church law is broken with impunity, we need to stand up and protest!

An example in my own denomination is the clearing of a practicing homosexual pastor and reinstating her as a pastor in direct contradiction to our Discipline and the words of the Bible against such action! We do need to protest--but going so far as to "stone them" is left to those who have never sinned! Who could that be?? <_<

What can we do to change the relational climate in our own Church? Be more Christ-like. Offer forgiveness and love to those who disagree with you, but do not compromise on what the Bible says God requires! That's hard to do sometimes, but we need to do all only after prayer for guidance and for love for the perpretaters.

What do I notice in my Church that is lacking in harmony? We don't seem to have a well defined cause. Of course the Bible says that it should be The Great Commission. Evangelism. We don't seem, as a body, to get the concept of a 'Lost and Dying World ' . We are still pretty much like "Babies" desiring milk. Bro. Al.

1. Our "human" nature wants to focus on "getting even" rather than keeping our focus on Christ.

2. To repay evil with evil rather than with goodness.

3. Be ready to give an answer....to be looking and listening for what God the Holy Spirit gives me to say, and then to say what is given me.

It is so much easier said than done to hold to these principles in every day life with everyday folks isnt it?

When my friend sometimes "gossips" I try to say something nice and change the subject but I admit we do talk and gossip sometimers and back stab.

I think when a church divides into two groups sometimes people get bitter, and that bitterness comes along with a sense of rightness that can not understand Love in the manner these verses mean but like a "baby" (like the other poster said) they fuss and spite one another .

then you get the ones who know it all because they have been in for years and just refuse to see change or progreess..

Keeping the word foremost is what I think will work but then you get such interperations and "I think it means this or that and disagreements forms again.

Well... I guess it is clear why Im doing the internet study ! I have had quite a time trusting groups from some of the trouble I have seen people do in the name of worshipping God . I think I need prayer . :lol:

This is answers to Question1. (3:8-9) I put Question 2 Answers in for Q. 1. Sorry. Was working ahead and got questions mixed up. I'm just learning!!!

1. Affection toward one another.

2. Humility I think is one thing we need to work on.

3. Live in Harmony, and be sympathetic and compassionate, as well as humble.

4. Do not repay evil with evil, or insult with insult...but repay with blessings.

Which of the qualities Peter mentioned in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation? Which are most needed? What can you and your friends do to change the relational climate at your church so it is more Christ like?

Humility and love are evident. Compassion and sympathy to a lesser degree, but not lacking. Harmony is evident also. We are a small group

therefore it is easy to be aware and concerned for others. Most needed?

Harmony would be better if we had more fellowship. We really only see one another at meeting times. Compassion and sympathy depend on ones' ability to feel what the other is going thru. Which in turn depends on what God has taken one self thru.

Love more. Seek Jesus more. Learn how to be more like Him. To be willing to serve others with a loving and caring attitude is key. If you have not love...........then. What is your motivation for doing anything for Christ

if not that He loved us and gave His life that we may be forgiven and be called Children of God. We have no rights, we deserve nothing and yet in Him we have all. Let's share the gift!

At times ,our congregation shows all these qualities but there are times we still struggle with some of them. For example, the last year or so we have been struggling with changing our music format to include chorus along with some hymns. This change

has been a struggle because many don't like change or the music type and even a few has left over this. The pastor and church leaders tell us that the are adding choruses to

reach out to the lost. Now many of us are trying to be united and let God's love work

because our main pupose is to reach the lost for Christ and to be like him fully. We have even seen many of our Senior adults are backing this even though they like the hymns better. To help change our church it will take God's love and us wanting to be more like Christ daily :D

MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL

I AM NOT AFILIATED TO A PARTICULAR CHURCH

INSTEAD I GO TO DIFFERENT CHURCHES IN THE

AREA WHERE I LIVE.

IT IS MY OPINION THAT IN ALL OF THE CHURCHES

THAT I GO, IT SEEMS THAT A SENSE OF HARMONY

AND GOOD WILL PERMEATS THE AMBIANCE; I HAVE

NEVER EVER ENCOUNTER A SITUATION WHERE

THERE IS EVIL AT ANY OF THESE PLACES.

IN THE OTHER HAND WE MUST BE AWARE OF THE

SPIRITUAL WARFARE THAT IS GOING ON IN THE

WORLD AND ONLY BY BEEN UNITED IN PRAYER

WE CAN STAND TOGETHER I PERSONALLY

BELIEVE IN THE BOOK OF REVELATIONS

AND THIS GIVES ME STRENGTH, HOPE AND FILLS

ME WITH FAITH IN THE THINGS THAT ARE UNSEEN

MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU.

From personal experience and observation, glad to say that most qualities are quite evident but the most I would say is LOVE. Since I joined the congregation, my family was overwhelmed with love and care especially from our "cell group". We were also able to grow deeper spiritually through fellowship. Starting this year, our church theme is "Breakthrough and Breakforth". a year whereby all congregation are urged to have a real breakthrough and breakforth in our lifestyle beginning with total commitment. Thus will continue to be focused in our destiny and calling to our city. To be a christ-like church, the congregation needs to have a real breakthrough in their life style first!

Q1. (3:8-9) Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation?

I think love and compassion are very evident in our church family. When someone is in need, we respond to that need. When someone offers a praise, we rejoice with them.

At one time, we had a few folks in our church who did not exhibit these traits, but they are no longer in church; and the atmosphere is so much better. However, I continue to pray for these folks, that they will find peace in Jesus Christ and have a more loving attitude towards others.

Which are most needed?

A concern for the lost in our community. We pray for them, but sometimes we are not so quick to visit with them and witness to them about Jesus Christ. We have love and compassion for those in church, but we also need to spread that love to those outside the church more than we do.

What can you and your friends do to change the relational climate at your Church so it is more Christ-like?

Share the blessings we have received from Christ with those around us. Have a joyful attitude; let others see Christ in us so they will want to become a part of God's family.

Continue to pray for one another and stay in the Word so we can give our testimony at any time to those who are seeking the joy and peace that we have found in our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Compassion and sympathy would be the strong points of our fellowship.

Where we struggle most are being grudge-free and full of blessing.

It is quite a lot of work, emotionally and spiritually, to not get sucked into petty greviances, taking sides in old debates, and repaying evil with evil. In the past, many groups/individuals have turned bitter or simply withdrawn from the fellowship in order to stay out of the "us versus them" mentality. But Peter calls us to humble service! This involves crossing those imaginary lines that exist between people/groups within the church, finding ways to bless and build them up, and looking for opportunities to serve. All of this is built on a foundation of prayer and the Spirit at work in our hearts and minds.

Q1. (3:8-9) Which of the qualities Peter mentions in 3:8-9 are most evident in your congregation?

My church is a very loving and caring Church and have most, if not all, of the qualities mentioned. We are a very Bible oriented Church with a lot of emphasis placed on Bible Study and reading God

Brotherly love, sympathy and compassion are all very evident in our little church. The people are warm and friendly, but there are many visions about where the church sholud be headed. So, I believe that we are most in need of harmony.

Christ, as the Son of man, knew where he came from, where he was and where he was going. For myself and and band of brothers, we are agreed that by having a co-ordinated bible study-Sunday school-church service, the congregation should be led by the Word, and by the Spirit, in the direction that the Father would have us go.

I have been blessed to find a church that exhibits most, if not all of the mentioned qualities, harmonious, sympathetic, affectionate, compassionate, humble, grudge-free, full of blessing. I have belonged to my church for 1 year now and from the very first time I walked into that church, I felt

I've been at my church only one year, but it seems to be alive and harmonious. If there are any disagreements they're not at the surface. I attend bible study weekly and we have few disagreements and some struggles, but overall it's harmonious. The only way a church can change is God working through us. If my behavior reflects Christ, others may follow. Jesus gently guides us, not forces us, and that's all one can do to lead others up the narrow road.

One mond, compassion for one another, love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteoys, not returning evil for evil. All these qualities are very important but unfortunately these qualities are not shared by the total congregation, which is very very sad. My fellow worshippers can only continue to demonstrate these qualities so the others may see. The other thing we can do is to continue to pray for the ones that do not demonstrate these qualities.

I'm glad we get such "easy" questions ;) . My church is relatively new (planted 4 1/2 years ago), but we already have over 700 adults in attendance at two services each Sunday and will be going to a third Saturday night service this fall. We probably have all the "nice" things Peter mentioned, but also some not-so-nice folks. All we can do is work to develop everyone as best we can, with everyone striving for the qualities listed.

Peter 3:8-9,

The most evident in my church is the love that people shows for one another.They care for each other and are always willing to help and pray.We have an older congreation and we are trying to draw younger people into our church.Some of the older people dont like contempary music.It is good to get away from the old hymnal books at times.There is nothing wrong with them so dont take me the wrong way.The younger people like the worship music of today.We need to reach the younger people in a diffrent way or they will go some where else if we dont do some of the things in church that they like to do.We must all offer the very best to our God.