JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (Zechariah 2:13) Why, in this passage, do you think the prophet calls all mankind to be still before him? In the context of God aroused to protect his people from attack, why is silence appropriate? For the enemy of God, what does silence represent? For the believer, what does silence before God represent?

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2017 at 2:28 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

rQ2. (Zechariah 2:13) Why, in this passage, do you think the prophet calls all mankind to be still before him? In the context of God aroused to protect his people from attack, why is silence appropriate? For the enemy of God, what does silence represent? For the believer, what does silence before God represent?

1. He is a HOLY GOD...stop. Close your mouth. Quiet your minds. Stand in silent AWE and WONDER! There are no words to describe our magnificent and Holy God! He has arisen. Watch now and see that He is on the move.

2. He is the ONLY ONE Who has anything to say. Our speculation is of no value. Watch in silence as our Mighty God moves on our behalf!

3. That awesome and fearful silence just before the storm breaks over their heads. That pause after loud peals of thunder while the seconds pass before lightening strikes It represents their defeat and powerlessness over the King of the Universe.

4. Awe, respect, devotion. A position of openness to Him and to what He has to say or to convey. When He tells me to be still it's to KNOW THAT HE IS GOD. The first time He said that to me, I took that promise from Psalms 46:10 "Let be, and Be still and know that I AM GOD" one phrase at a time to see what He was asking of me.

LET BE: Stop and leave everything that concerns you and that you are thinking and doing. Lay it at MY feet. SURRENDER to ME. .

BE STILL: Cease the chatter and confusion in your mind. Close your eyes and shut out the world around you and FOCUS on ME. Quiet your body to stillness. Listen to what I AM about to say.

AND KNOW: Evaluate: Do you truly believe that I AM  in control of EVERYTHING?  Do you truly TRUST ME? Is there anything hindering you from hearing ME? Acknowledge what you believe!

THAT I AM GOD: I AM SOVEREIGN. I LIVE IN YOU. I AM FOR YOU. I AM YOUR SHIELD AND STRONG TOWER. I HAVE YOUR BACK.  I LOVE YOU. NOTHING CAN TOUCH YOU WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. NOW REST IN ME AND I WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU AND WILL PERFECT THAT WHICH CONCERNS YOU.

On 8/15/2017 at 5:28 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Zechariah 2:13) Why, in this passage, do you think the prophet calls all mankind to be still before him? In the context of God aroused to protect his people from attack, why is silence appropriate? For the enemy of God, what does silence represent? For the believer, what does silence before God represent?

The prophet calls all mankind to be still before God because God is ready to act on behalf of his people.  We need to just be silent and let God do his wondrous works.  For the enemy, silence means he is getting ready to be defeated.  For the believer, silence mean looking to the Lord for help.  

On 8/16/2017 at 7:28 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

all mankind - to be in reverence and awe of our holy God who is about to act for His people.

his people - to be able to listen to God and allow Him to act in our circumstances.

For the enemy of God – in fear of the unexpected hand of God to thwart their evil deeds.

For the believer - worship and reverence to our Holy God and being open to hearing His word for our circumstance.

I think that the prophet calls to be still before God so that God can convey His message to them. In the context of God aroused to protect his people from attack, silence is appropriate because we have got to listen to God especially when we are depending on Him to fix our problems. I would have to thing for the enemy of God silence represents that something terrible is going to happen to them. For believers silence before God represents respect for Him.

On 9/24/2017 at 5:18 AM, JanMary said:

1. He is a HOLY GOD...stop. Close your mouth. Quiet your minds. Stand in silent AWE and WONDER! There are no words to describe our magnificent and Holy God! He has arisen. Watch now and see that He is on the move.

2. He is the ONLY ONE Who has anything to say. Our speculation is of no value. Watch in silence as our Mighty God moves on our behalf!

3. That awesome and fearful silence just before the storm breaks over their heads. That pause after loud peals of thunder while the seconds pass before lightening strikes!

4. Awe, respect, devotion. A position of openness to Him and to what He has to say or to convey. When He tells me to be still it's to KNOW THAT HE IS GOD. The first time He said that to me, I took that promise from Psalms 46:10 "Let be, and Be still and know that I AM GOD" one phrase at a time to see what He was asking of me.

LET BE: Stop and leave everything that concerns you and that you are thinking and doing. Lay it at MY feet. SURRENDER to ME. .

BE STILL: Cease the chatter and confusion in you mind. Close our eyes and shut out the world around you and FOCUS on ME. Quiet your body to stillness. Listen to what I AM about to say.

AND KNOW: Evaluate: Do you truly believe that I AM  in control of EVERYTHING?  Do you truly TRUST ME? Is there anything hindering you from hearing ME? Acknowledge what you believe!

THAT I AM GOD: I AM SOVEREIGN. I LIVE IN YOU. I AM FOR YOU. I AM YOUR SHIELD AND STRONG TOWER. I HAVE YOUR BACK.  I LOVE YOU. NOTHING CAN TOUCH YOU WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. NOW REST IN ME AND I WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU AND WILL PERFECT THAT WHICH CONCERNS YOU.

Wow, that's a real and powerful way to see the meaning of Ps 46:10 and the CAPSON in the last paragraph is so apt. I will take this to heart each day, printing on a card in my wallet to take out and remember. Thanks again JanMary. 

The silence is to let God fight the fight for you. When God says He is going to do something, it is guaranteed He will do it. You have a choice, you can either let God fight the battle or you can attempt to undertake the task yourself. When I think of what does the silence represent, I think of Jesus with Pontius Pilate. Pilate, curious about what truth was, seems to have gone into a silent state also when he washed his hands because he seems to have known God was about to do something exceedingly powerful. Remaining silent could also mean being put to the sword as has happened to many martyrs for Christ over the centuries, but letting God fight the battle always ends up in being rewarded, even as the exiles were in Jerusalem. I realize that many would wonder what the reward was for being put to death, but one must also remember that no matter how you look at it, your days are already numbered by God. You can either be a brave sheep on the way to the slaughter and receive your reward from God or you could save your life (for a short time, at best), and still have a meeting with destiny and get thrown in the “goat cooker”. Silence before God represents submission. How total that submission is depends on to what degree you would submit to God.  

Why, in this passage, do you think the prophet calls all mankind to be still before him? In the context of God aroused to protect his people from attack, why is silence appropriate? For the enemy of God, what does silence represent? For the believer, what does silence before God represent?

To be still before the Lord is to show reverence, to acknowledge that He is All Sovereign God, our Creator, the Only God, our Lord and Savior. God is about to do something with His people, in HIs people, and for His people. Silence is required in the midst of all the movement going on. People busy in different affairs of their lives. This was a call to a standstill. God wants our complete attention. He wants to reveal Himself to us. How can He do this when our minds are occupied in other things.

For the enemy of God, silence represents defeat. God is about to fight for His people and therefore destruction awaits them. To the enemy, it's a reason to tremble, to run and hide. "Rumors" were that Israel's God fought for them and had defeated previous armies and their kings. No one can stand against Israel's God.

God wants the people to let Him take care of their enemies. Do not worry. Do not fret. Do not be afraid. Take courage. God has your back. Trust God. Do not try to help God. Be still and watch what God is about to do. God will avenge their enemies.

Being silent before God means to allow God to act. We do most of the talking when we come before God in prayer. We don't allow God to answer. Therefore, God says "be still". Stop interrupting me, I am about to give you your breakthrough, but you won't let me. Stop moving. Trust me. Listen to what I have to say. Is there anything impossible for the Lord? Just worship Me! Be obedient, and just do as I say. Be still.

Q2. (Zechariah 2:13) 
Why, in this passage, do you think the prophet calls all mankind to be still before Him? 
In the context of God aroused to protect His people from attack, why is silence appropriate? 
For the enemy of God, what does silence represent? 
For the believer, what does silence before God represent?

In this passage, mankind is to be silent and wait in reverence and submission, in awe, and astonishment, at the wonderful work of God that is coming.
Coming will be the destruction of the antichrist; the conversion of the Jews, and the calling of the Gentiles. No one is to dare say one word against any of it. For the unbeliever there is a fear of the consequences of His action – this is not a reverent fear. Unlike as with believers, there is no righteousness and peace, no judgment and mercy, no holiness and love. With us there is a blessedness of being silent and at the same time a waiting upon the Lord.
Our thoughts are away from ourselves, our needs, and our desires, it is focused upon our Heavenly Father. We worship Him in His glory and His love. 
There is complete trust and obedience – not leaning on our own understanding. 

Q2. (Zechariah 2:13) Why, in this passage, do you think the prophet calls all mankind to be still before him? In the context of God aroused to protect his people from attack, why is silence appropriate? For the enemy of God, what does silence represent? For the believer, what does silence before God represent?

1. So that they can listen to God and let him do what he want to do. They had to trust that God will fight their battle.

2. They could interfere if they talked or thought about doing something that could hinder. God wanted to take full control and fight for them.

3. The enemy could be confused and not know what God would do.

4. Be still and let him God what he is going to do. Listen and follow him.

Q2. (Zechariah 2:13)

Q. Why, in this passage, do you think the prophet calls all mankind to be still before him?

A. To remind them to trust in His ability to deliver them and thereby remain in peace without  agitation or fear of defeat or failure to complete their project- the rebuilding of the temple.

Q. In the context of God aroused to protect his people from attack, why is silence appropriate?

A. Because our fear or grumbling will not resolve the challenge. Only in quietness and trust can  people experience the salvation of the Faithful Lord Almighty God.

Q. For the enemy of God, what does silence represent?

A. May be confusion as they (the enemy) would not know the next surprise God and His people are about to spring up with.

Q. For the believer, what does silence before God represent?

A. It means absolute faith in God's ability to deliver/ perform

Q2. (Zechariah 2:13) Why, in this passage, do you think the prophet calls all mankind to be still before him?

Answer: Because the prophet know that the Lord will take care, protect and fight for His people.

In the context of God aroused to protect his people from attack, why is silence appropriate?

Answer: Silence is appropriate because it shows that we entrust to Him our situation and that He will be the one to handle all our misery & will deliver us as well.

For the enemy of God, what does silence represent?

Answer: For the enemy of God it could mean confusion because they do not have any idea what God is planning to do with them.

For the believer, what does silence before God represent?

Answer: For the believer of God it means submission, entrusting & allowing God to do His will and plan for His people. 

the psalmist wrote-Be still, and know that I am God: Psalm 46.10. it is in this silence that we know that God is God.

For the enemy of God silence is ominous for it means our God is near.

On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1.  It is difficult to hear and comprehend when we are noisey.  It is important out of respect, honor, and discipline that we be still when our Heavenly Father is out of HIS holy habitation.

2.  Silence helps us to hear the voice of our Heavenly Father better.  

3.  It's difficult for me to say....

4.  Silence represents reverence, honor, and respect for our Heavenly Father. 

Because  with silence we have power, and we can hear Gods voice, As Christen we Need silence to call the Holy Spirit. but for Enemy have another God silence representation.

Prophet calls all mankind to be still before Him because it is time for God to act, and we are supposed to just stand still and watch what God our Lord does, its like a challange what God does to be seen when we loose our hope in fear.

And when God arouses it is appropriate for people to be silent to see what great things God can do and nothing is impossible to God, silence helps to hear Gods word see what He does to his enemies and jpw He protects us.

For a believer silence means being obeident and fearful honour and respectful towards God the father.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 5:28 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

In this passage, the prophet calls all mankind to be still before him showing that they've put their trust in God.

In the context of God aroused to protect his people from attack,  silence is appropriate in honor of God's presence.  God now moves on behalf of His people.

For the enemy of God, silence represents a time to in terror, awaiting the judgment of God.

For the believer, silence before God represent a recognition of His presence.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 4:28 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Zechariah 2:13 calls all mankind to be still (silent) before the Lord. When we become frustrated, giving up or rather from fear or abuse, it is best to trust in the Lord for he will show us the way.

During the time Moses, the Lord commanded the people to be still and witness his great strength and power for there is no other god but the God of heaven and Earth and his people the Israelites. 

For the enemy of God, silence represents his great power.

For the believer silence represents awe, wonder and most of all our trust in him.  

• 3 weeks later...

probably one of God's tougher counsels to "do"--"Be Still!; whether things look ominous or even tougher when they look bright; this is an egocentric comment but for me this lesson has been SO refreshing (both spiritual and day-to-day senses).   Does not make it any easier to "do"(accomplish) but gives great Hope and then Faith it letting it be; when I start or pictures of worldly events start interrupting NOT to panic or get depressed but rather very childlike go back to "tying" to be still.  (even lectio divina process go great to third step "be still")

for enemies, aka today's society spokefolk, God's Silence is just one more "settled science" exhibit that "he" either doesn't care (Allah?) or maybe /probably doesn't exisit.

again tough one, but like Jeremiah in his lamentations and others, God's Silence is some form of deeep deep communion, almost a real foretaste of heaven when all is light-HE conveys to the very still His presence (as much as we can handle) in totally non-empirical fashion (usually, some rare physical manifestations but these are really really rare and not to be sought for according to John of the Cross, and Jesus himself talking about those always looking for signs etc) 

Why, in this passage, do you think the prophet calls all mankind to be still before him? This is because God is ready to act. So often we yammer and complain to God. We fault him for not acting on our behalf according to our own timetable. We act as if we know best and that God is asleep. How foolish. Faith doesn’t need noise.

In the context of God aroused to protect his people from attack, why is silence appropriate? Silence is appropriate because faith doesn’t need noise. Stillness before our awesome God is appropriate. It is promised that “The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent (Exodus 14:14)

For the enemy of God, what does silence represent? Silence represents defeat, panic, frustration and having given up.

For the believer, what does silence before God represent? It represents a trust in God to take care of us and our situation. We can trust Him. FEAR and AWE.

The prophet is calling for silence before God because He is getting ready to act.  Oftentimes we must be still, get out of the way and let God act.  

For the enemy of God silence might represent unknown consequences, looming doom, or a visit from the hour horsemen.  The point being is the unbeliever doesn't know what to expect in any degree regarding God because they have no relationship with Him or knowledge of Him.

For the believer silence before God might represent the expectation of some kind of positive action on God's behalf for the believer(s).

• 2 weeks later...

The prophet calls all mankind to be still before God because His presence is localized in their midst.   Silence is required because God doesn't need our input and mankind needs to focus on God, not our own ego fueled opinions.  

For the believer silence means being still before God to permit the Trinity to fill our being and that we may experience God in a real way.  In reality we must often be still before God.  We talk too much and don't say much.

• 1 year later...

In order to let God take care of them.
To allow us to trust in the Lord.
Silence for the enemy is separation from God. 
Our silence before God is Our Trust in Him

• 1 year later...

The Lord knows exactly what is going on throughout the world and in this passage God has roused Himself from His Holy dwelling, He is coming to bring justice and His wrath on those who deserve it. Zechariah is telling mankind to be still and await what God is going to do. 
Is the context of God being ready to protect His people, nobody needs to say anything God is at hand and He knows exactly what He is doing. Nothing anyone says can add to what He is working out.

Silence from the enemy of God probably represents the fear they feel, when they realise that they are wrong . That God is truly the awesome powerful and great God that they have always denied.

Silence from a believer may be a sign of worship and adoration, of a heart bowed in front of their wonderful, loving Father. A sign of complete trust and respect.