JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Shecaniah's Solution

Q4. (Ezra 10:2-4) Do you think Shecaniah’s solution to the people’s sin of intermarriage was from God? Can you think of any other examples in the Bible of prophetic “words of wisdom” directing God’s people at crisis points? How do the people respond to Schecaniah’s radical solution? How does Ezra implement it?

• 1 month later...

Q4.. (Ezra 10:2-4) Do you think Shecaniah’s solution to the people’s sin of intermarriage was from God? Can you think of any other examples in the Bible of prophetic “words of wisdom” directing God’s people at crisis points? How do the people respond to Schecaniah’s radical solution? How does Ezra implement it?

no, I do not  Shecaniah’s solution to end intermarriage was from God for it seems to be very uncaring when one considers the children of the marriage. Maybe this is the proper solution but I cannot help but think of the harm that will come to the children and also to the wives. 

It seemed  as  though the Moses quite often was directed by God at certain crisis points.

The men all seem to think it is great.

Ezra  tells the people- make confession to the Lord. Separate yourselves from the peoples of the land and from your four and your   foreign  wives.

Edited by WinstonY

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:38 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Ezra 10:2-4) Do you think Shecaniah’s solution to the people’s sin of intermarriage was from God?

I think it was, given that "there gathered to Ezra a very great assembly of men, women, and children: for the people wept bitterly". Schecaniah's solution was based on the fact that they were in a precarious situation, had angered God and they felt such guilt that they were unable to stand before the Lord and feared being destroyed as a people, as well as that Ezra was praying, weeping, and making a corporate confession and repentance when Schecaniah came forward with the solution. Harsh, but for their sin and times they lived in it seems a  just consequence rather than the alternative of shared guilt and shame for all concerned and sweeping it under the rug would have been seen as approval. It proved right in the long run, seeing the disastrous end of King Solomon and others later who also disobeyed the Lord in the matter of marrying heathen wives.

Can you think of any other examples in the Bible of prophetic “words of wisdom” directing God’s people at crisis points?

I'm thinking of one  when Moses was overwhelmed by the weight he carried in trying to counsel and settle all of the complaints and needs of the nation, when his father in law, Jethro, stepped forward with the solution of him sharing the load of settling disputes by establishing a hierarchy of judges to hear the cases according to their seriousness. Jethro feared Moses would wear himself out seeing that he was spending from sun up to sun down working alone in judging.

I was thinking how much we need each other in the body of Christ, and how many times when overwhelmed and unable to think straight a friend or family member has made a suggestion that is the perfect solution to whatever I was "stuck" on or I've been given one for someone else.

How do the people respond to Schecaniah’s radical solution?

The people made a covenant with God and said "Let it be done according to the law." Then to Ezra: Arise for it is your duty and we are with you. Be strong and brave and do it!"

How does Ezra implement it?

Ezra fasted and continued to pray, then the guilty were charged to come to Jerusalem within 3 days or forfeit their property. Ezra told them to confess and to separate themselves from the foreign heathen wives. The people responded "As you have said, so we must do". They did so then offered sacrifices in repentance for their sin and waywardness.

I think so.  It is pretty radical--but then repentance always is.

David and Abigail in 1st Samuel comes to mind.  She is married to Nabal who foolishly confronted David and his men when they asked for food & water.  To avoid Nabal & Abigail's death, Abigail brought food and apologized for her husband's brazen words (though she had done nothing wrong) and blessed David. 10 days later, Nabal died leaving Abigail free to marry David.    I Samuel 25 

By the time Shecaniah spoke a solution, the peoples' hearts were ready for a radical suggestion to repent from their wrong actions. The revived people agreed.

Ezra made the leading priests and Leviites take an oath that they would put that plan into action and so they wouldn't change their minds.

On 8/15/2017 at 5:38 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Ezra 10:2-4) Do you think Shecaniah’s solution to the people’s sin of intermarriage was from God?

Yes, I do think his solution was from God.  If not, Ezra would not have followed thru on Shecaniah's suggestion.

Can you think of any other examples in the Bible of prophetic “words of wisdom” directing God’s people at crisis points?

Moses was used many times but the one that comes to mind is the crossing of the Red Sea.  The people began to complain but Moses faith led him to listen to God and not man. 

How do the people respond to Shecaniah’s radical solution? How does Ezra implement it? 

The people were in agreement with what Shecaniah said.  Ezra put the leader's under oath to carry out what had been suggested.  

I do think that Shecaniah’s solution to the people’s sin of intermarriage was from God. The people were following other gods and it was probably their spouses that were encouraging them to do so. The book of Kings is full of prophetic “words of wisdom” directing God’s people at a crisis point. The people seem to accept Shecaniah’s radical solution and Ezra implements it by having the people say an oath to carry it out.

Q4. (Ezra 10:2-4)

Q. Do you think Shecaniah's solution to the people's sin of intermarriage was from God?

A. He could have heard from God and may be not. There were cases where God Himself told some prophets that they claimed and said "thus said the Lord..." when He did not send them.

Q. Can you think of any other examples in the Bible of prophetic "words of wisdom" directing God's people at crisis points?

A. Cannot think of any for now.

Q. How do the people respond to Schecaniah's radical solution?

A. They agreed with the suggestion by Schecaniah

Q. How does Ezra implement it?

A. He called the Spiritual leaders to take an oath that the decision would be Implemented. 

Q4. (Ezra 10:2-4) Do you think Shecaniah's solution to the people's sin of intermarriage was from God? Can you think of any other examples in the Bible of prophetic "words of wisdom" directing God's people at crisis points? How do the people respond to Schecaniah's radical solution? How does Ezra implement it?

I have thought long and hard on this question and still not 100% sure for what I think about this. God hates divorce, yet He allows it in the O.T. because of the people’s attitudes of whining and complaining when things didn’t go exactly as they wanted, even in marriages, but Jesus said that He allowed it because of that reason. I’m not a Bible expert but have yet to see where God would recommend or command divorce. The reasons behind this question always brings up another question in me and that is why couldn’t they have taught their wives about God and demanded that Yahweh only be worshipped under their roof. It seems hard to believe God would just abandon women and children like that but then again He had no sympathy for them when Joshua took the people in to conquer the promised land.

There were times when Samuel had words for Saul or Nathan for King David.

They people responded by agreeing to the solution proposed by Schecaniah and I can’t help but wonder if, in some of the cases that it wasn’t just an easy way out of a marriage they weren’t happy with.

Ezra had them take an oath that they would do exactly that.

I believe Shecaniah was moved in the Spirit when he proposed that God's people do away with the sin amidst them. God's solution to many of His people's afflictions was to rid themselves of the SIN within them. The people responded positively to Shecaniah's suggestion. They agreed. To this, Ezra immediately the put the leading priests and Levites and all Israel under oath to do what had been suggested before they changed their minds. Oaths were meant to be taken very seriously in those times. You couldn't back out of it.

God used many prophets to advise His people when in crisis.

Q4. (Ezra 10:2-4) 
Do you think Shecaniah's solution to the people's sin of intermarriage was from God? 
Can you think of any other examples in the Bible of prophetic "words of wisdom" directing God's people at crisis points? 
How do the people respond to Schecaniah's radical solution? 
How does Ezra implement it?

No. Since God is against divorce I doubt Shecaniah’s solution came from Him. However, at the time it was probably the only practical solution to their disobedience of inter marriage. About directing people at crisis points - two come to mind. Crossing the Red Sea (Exodus 14), where the Lord directed the people when escape seemed impossible. The Golden Calf (Exodus 32), where the compassion of God toward His people who needed punishment, and the power of one man’s intercession is shown. The people responded favourably, except for a few dissenters. To implement this drastic action, Ezra used an oath to hold the people to their commitment. 

• 3 weeks later...

Q4. (Ezra 10:2-4) Do you think Shecaniah's solution to the people's sin of intermarriage was from God? Can you think of any other examples in the Bible of prophetic "words of wisdom" directing God's people at crisis points? How do the people respond to Schecaniah's radical solution? How does Ezra implement it?

1. No, I do not. He seems to be unconcerned about the wives and children’s feelings. God is not in agreement with divorce.

2. Not at the present time.

3. They agreed.

4. Ezra put the leader's under oath to carry out what had been suggested.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 5:38 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Ezra 10:2-4) Do you think Shecaniah’s solution to the people’s sin of intermarriage was from God? Can you think of any other examples in the Bible of prophetic “words of wisdom” directing God’s people at crisis points? How do the people respond to Schecaniah’s radical solution? How does Ezra implement it?

I think Shecaniah’s solution to the people’s sin of intermarriage was as a result of him believing and walking in obedience to God' commands. 

When presented, the people respond to Schecaniah’s radical solution favorable, except for a few.  Ezra implement it not immediately but over a period of time.

• 2 weeks later...

I think so God's Spirit leading his repentant people Forward.

The Holy Spirit moves one of the assembly to offer a solution to the community's problem of intermarriage (Ezra 10:2-4). When we seek God together, he can bring his answer through any who are open to his voice -- and we must be humble enough to receive it.

Do you think Shecaniah's solution to the people's sin of intermarriage was from God? Yes, this solution was from God. This was the word of wisdom. Now let us make a covenant before our God to send away all these women and their children, in accordance with the counsel of my Lord and of those who fear the commands of our God. Let it be done according to the Law.” This was God’s spirit leading his repentant forwards.”

Can you think of any other examples in the Bible of prophetic "words of wisdom" directing God's people at crisis points?

How do the people respond to Schecaniah's radical solution? The people acknowledged that they had sinned and that they must do what has been commanded. The main agreed loudly: “You are right! We must do as you say.” Only 4 opposed the idea/the proposal.

How does Ezra implement it? He took this radical counsel as from the Lord, and puts the leaders under the oath to carry out this decision lest they change their minds later. Ezra rose up and put the leading Priests and Levites and all Israel under oath to do what had been suggested and they took the oath (Ezra 10:5)

• 1 month later...

4. (Ezra 10:2-4) Do you think Shecaniah’s solution to the people’s sin of intermarriage was from God? Can you think of any other examples in the Bible of prophetic “words of wisdom” directing God’s people at crisis points? How do the people respond to Schecaniah’s radical solution? How does Ezra implement it?

I think Shecaniah  was under conviction and was afraid of God's judgment on Israel so he came up with a solution.  It was adopted and the people took an oath to go along with the solution.  I don't see words of wisdom in this event.  I see a radical knee jerk reaction by frightened people to appease God.  What became of the abandoned wives and children of these guys?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes this directive was from God. It seems very drastic but again I think that because my finite mind can not grasp just how holy God is and just how grave their sin was. I tend to think of those poor women abandon by their husbands with their children. What future did those women have ? What support did they have? Would any of their own men want to marry them afterwards? And the Israelite men are free to take new brides from their own people! 
They should have at least provide for them. They should be punished for obeying such a wise and obvious command from God. I can bear witness to the difficulties of being in a marriage with a non Christian, and I am blessed with a man who has not objected very often to my way of life. I was married before I was a believer. 
In Exodus 14v13 Moses says to the people as they stand by the Red Sea not knowing what to do “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you ; you need only to be still.”

The people respond to Shecaniah’s solution by agreeing to it there were only four men who objected. Shecaniah said that all foreign wives were to be sent away with their children. Ezra organised a team and listened to each case individually and didn’t rush the process. He continued to pray and grieve for the sin of the people.