JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Arrow Prayers

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Nehemiah 2:4) What danger is Nehemiah in? Why does he pray quickly and silently before he answers the king? How does this quick “arrow prayer” relate to the four months of prayer he has just finished?

Nehemiah, at this moment, when he is about to ask the king a favor that could conceivably be seen as a threat and the condemnation of the Kings policy, he is no doubt afraid of losing his head.

Nehemiah is, no doubt, praying for his words to be subtle and wise and to make the King open to his coming request. The god would know off Nehemiah's earlier prayers and these prayers would being too give Nehemiah the strength and courage to face the king.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 5:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Nehemiah 2:4) What danger is Nehemiah in?

The king could dismiss him from service and banish him forever from his presence.  The king could also have him killeded if he thought that Nehemiah was saying he was the reason for Jerusalem ruins.  

Why does he pray quickly and silently before he answers the king?

Nehemiah prayed quickly and silently for God's help in answering the king in a way that the king would not be offended.

How does this quick “arrow prayer” relate to the four months of prayer he has just finished?

This 'arrow prayer' was just a continuation of his four month prayer.  

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Nehemiah 2:4) What danger is Nehemiah in?

He was risking being sent to the dungeon or death, depending on the Kings mood.

Nehemiah had been fasting and praying for 4 months, but this was an arrow prayer for favor with the king in this moment and that his words would communicate what was in his heart in an effective way. Perhaps it was for courage also because he was "very much afraid." (I think it was for all of those things)

How does this quick “arrow prayer” relate to the four months of prayer he has just finished?

It was as if he was saying "Lord, you know every detail of what is going on with my people and you know how this king will receive my request, and how I've cried out to you for four months...here we are....I desperately need your help this moment...NOW!"

Nehemiah is in danger of losing his life or being banned from the king. He prays quickly and silently before he answers because he want to have the courage to answer the question with the right attitude. The “arrow prayer” is like a candle on a cake. He took four months to look for God’s support and this was just topping it off.

Q4. (Nehemiah 2:4) What danger is Nehemiah in? Why does he pray quickly and silently before he answers the king? How does this quick “arrow prayer” relate to the four months of prayer he has just finished?

Kings were known to not retract from rulings they've made. Nehemiah knew this and this could bring a death sentence to him. As mentioned in the lesson, Nehemiah is asking God to give him so much favor that the king will be willing to reverse himself, yet again. That might be embarrassing for the king and make him look weak and inconsistent.

Nehemiah prays quickly and silently, I believe, because he knows that if his own words come out of his mouth, he is but dead. The turnout will be bad. Therefore, he makes sure that what is about to transpire is the will of God. It's like commending himself to God every step of the way.

Quick arrow prayer is a continuation of the four months of prayer Nehemiah had just finished. In other words, For four months, Nehemiah had presented the same request to God and this quick arrow prayer, is kind of saying, "Lord, This is it. I commend myself to you, let not my will but your will be done".

Q4. (Nehemiah 2:4) What danger is Nehemiah in? Why does he pray quickly and silently before he answers the king? How does this quick "arrow prayer" relate to the four months of prayer he has just finished?

Nehemiah is in danger of losing his life if the king were to decide Nehemiah was trying to undermine his decision to put a stop to the construction of the city. At a time when he should be hiding any sad feelings he has, he exposes them on purpose arousing the suspicion of the king. He could have been eliminated for doing such a thing. I see the “arrow prayer” as simply being in continuous communication with his Father to advise & guide him through the situation. Yes, it is a fact that anybody who is in communication with God has shot prayer out like this and I also know for a fact that people often accuse God at such times when He changes the situation for His own purpose. People have the tendency to go on the defense at such times, however, I, myself, and I’m sure many others have been seriously humbled at these times, especially when things quickly work out for better that what we might have petitioned originally. It is times like this we need to be still, trust, and simply believe. That word, believe can be a big word at times, when you’re trying to pray and believe hard. What exactly does that mean? Oops, off track and being an example of what I’m trying to explain, I guess.

Q4. (Nehemiah 2:4) 
What danger is Nehemiah in? 
How does this quick "arrow prayer" relate to the four months of prayer he has just finished?

As a servant he is not allowed to initiate a conversation with the king; never mind mentioning any personal problems. If he did upset the king, he could be punished severely even until death. God must have softened the king’s heart in that when he saw Nehemiah’s sad face, the king initiated the conversation giving Nehemiah an opportunity to state his problem. This is the moment he has been waiting for and as a continuation of his prayer he sends up an arrow prayer. He knows God has given him this chance and he must grab it and be brave enough to take it. 

Q4. (Nehemiah 2:4)

Q. What danger is Nehemiah in?

A. The danger of being punished (even being put to death) for appearing gloomy in the sight of the king when he was not sick

Q. Why does he pray quickly and silently before he answers the king?

A. He needed to quickly consult His father in heaven for wisdom, unction and boldness to ask the king correctly, for his needs.

Q. How does this quick "arrow prayer" relate to the four months of prayer he has just finished?

A. The "arrow prayers"also called 'microwave prayers' by others, were already part of what Nehemiah had been praying for days, weeks and four months. He had always been communing with the Lord Almighty God.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 5:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Nehemiah was in a crucial moment. The king could have dismissed him from service and banish him forever from his presence.  He prayed quickly and silently before he answered the king because he wanted God to intervene. This quick “arrow prayer” related to the four months of prayer he had just finished because it was an extension to the months of prayer. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Nehemiah could be in danger of being banished from his job or the king could decide to kill him. Servants were not allowed to speak unless spoken to, so Nehemiah deliberately looked sad in the hope that the king might ask him why he was downcast. When he explained the king could have taken Nehemiah’s story as an accusation, because the king was partly responsible for the state of Jerusalem. Nehemiah’s arrow prayer was a continuation of his four months of prayer and fasting in preparation for this time of approaching the king. Nehemiah knew he was totally dependent upon God for a good outcome to his request. I am sure his arrow prayer was for God to give him the right words to say what needed to be said to the king, or maybe a simple yet profound”Help me God”!