JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Encouraging Word

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 Cor 12:9b: "Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

God is telling us that it is through His power and His guidance we can do the work for Him and not relying on our own strength and thinking. I may not have all the resources, my health may fail and I would wonder how I can continue but it is Lord who guides me and who gives me the strength to continue. In my weakness, I will yield to the power of Christ so all the glory would be to Him. We need the Power of Christ.

Acts 18:9-10 "9 And the Lord said to Paul a one night in a vision, “Do not be afraid, but go on speaking and do not be silent, 10 for I am with you, and no one will attack you to harm you, for I have many in this city who are my people.”

This is Jesus' ministry. Here we see that Paul, an apostle appointed by Jesus himself, is doing the ministry. Lord Jesus appears in a vision to Paul to encourage him and confirm his ministry here.

We all who confess the name of Jesus are the living testimony to Jesus regardless of our calling and various occupation in this life (preacher, teacher, soldier and etc.) We should not be afraid to testify about our Lord in words and deeds and with our lives.

Acts 23:11 "The following night the Lord stood by him and said, “Take courage, for as you have testified to the facts about me in Jerusalem, so you must testify also in Rome.”

In this passage Bible does not mention vision but says "the Lord stood by Him". It sounds similar to when Jesus appeared to His disciples after His resurrection. Sounds like Jesus appears more clearly to Paul here. It seems to me that Lord is granting Paul greater opportunity (to preach at Rome, the center of civilization of his time) after Paul's testimony in Jerusalem.

As we are faithful and diligent in our testimony, God can lead us to greater opportunities in ministry to Him.

Acts 27:24: "and he said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul; you must stand before Caesar. And behold, God has granted you all those who sail with you.’"

This passage reminds me Proverbs 22:29: "Seest thou a man diligent in his work? He shall stand before kings; ...". Jesus encourages Paul not to fear in the face of the storm. Jesus reminds Paul that Lord has authority over physical world and souls of man. As God sent Moses to Pharaoh, Jesus sends Paul to Ceasar. 

Who is our Ceasar in our lives today that God can send us to for greater testimony for Him? We can rest assured that if He is leading us to that He will orchestrate the circumstances and situations for us. 

Paul knows that when we are weak we depend on God to be our strength. In our weakness God's grace is more than sufficient to carry us in the most trying of circumstances. 

When we know that God has spoken to us, it removes any fear we might have had. 

In my own experience, one word from God erases years of self doubt, negative esteem, and words of discouragement spoken to us by others.

God speaks words of encouragement to us when others tell us things won't work out or we are foolish in taking a step of faith.

I have found with women that many times we run to others for answers instead of going to the Lord. In doing so we often lose out on hearing from God, since we have already decided to take the advice of others.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24) How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting? What do we learn about God that he speaks to Paul in this way?  Paul had already heard from God on the day he was chosen to serve God, so he should not have been surprised to hear from God again.  God was personal to him. This personal God also willing showed Paul His love.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:06 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

,Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24) How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting? What do we learn about God that he speaks to Paul in this way?

1. It's Impossible to know how Paul felt, but I know how I feel when afraid and hurting....too many times to count! God's love and tender voice feels like warm arms surrounding and shielding me, like being covered under His Warm Wing, snuggled close to His breast...even though it's dark under there! God's voice reminds me I only FEEL alone or forgotten, and that He will NEVER LEAVE ME ALONE FOR EVEN ONE SECOND. He reminds me that though it's true that I was abandoned as a child, He is my forever Father, Papa, Abba, Daddy, Savior, Paraclete, Comforter and guide, Who lives on the inside of me and that I'm "tattooed on His hands" and impossible to forget.

2. God isn't a distant God Who lives in isolation in Heaven. He inhabits the entire universe which is His, and yet He desires an intimate, vulnerable, honest relationship with His children...He lives to intercede for us and lives in us, so knows every thought or word before we think or speak it. He knows us better than we know ourselves. He is love. He is comforter and encourager. He knows what we need and need to hear and when we need to hear from Him. He knows the future, so knows when we need to hear about what lies ahead...where He is, in the future. His correction is never punitive or punishing, but is only for training and is always loving.

Paul received the hope of god being with him and know his situations.

What I received about God speaking to Paul is that God's grace is the same for all his children. If He did it for Paul, then we can expect him to do it for us.

I also was reminded that it is in our weakness that God show us his power. I was feeling bad(like Peter)when I fell in obedience. I was reminded of my human weakness and that I must stay connect to God to empower me. This lesson was right on time for me. Thank you

How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting?

He is strong when he depends on God. confident, comforted,  encouraged to continue, assurance

What do we learn about God that he speaks to Paul in this way?

He is a loving God.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24) How do you think it felt to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting? 

2 Corinthians 12:9 a My gracious favor is all you need. My power works best in your weakness. (NLT)  From what the Bible says I believe that Paul realized that God was not going to abandon or leave or forsake him at any time during his ministry even during his imprisonment.  

Acts 18:9-10 One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision and told him, "Don't be afraid! Speak out! Don't be silent! For I am with you, and no one will harm you because many people here in this city belong to me." From what the Bible says I believe that God was telling Paul to be brave in whatever circumstance he was in. I also believe God was trying to telling him that no matter what He would always be there for Paul since Paul was his spokesperson. 

Acts 23:11 That night the Lord appeared to Paul and said, "Be encouraged, Paul. Just as you have told the people about Me here in Jerusalem; you must preach the Good News in Rome." I believe as Paul was being shipped off to Rome that he was scared and wondering what God had in mind for him to do there. Here we see God's steadfast love yet again being shown to Paul through God speaking to him quietly and telling him what to do and why. 

Acts 27:24 and He said, "Don't be afraid, Paul, for you will surely stand trial before Caesar! What's more, God in His goodness has granted safety to everyone sailing with you." In this section of Scripture we see God again showing His love to Paul this time through an angel of His to speaking to him directly. I believe this is a sign to Paul about God's provision in his life. 

What do we learn about God that he speaks to Paul in this way? When God speaks to Paul in this way He is telling all of us that He is both loving, caring, involved and not distant when it comes to human beings who believe in Him. 

How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting? I think Paul felt that God loved him enough to speak to him. He knew that God had designated him to speak to the Jews and the    Greeks about Him. I think he felt that God was concerned about his spiritual condition and wanted to comfort him. God knew that Through the many times that God spoke to him Paul knew that God was on his side and would help him. This gave him courage to speak out for the Lord.

What do we learn about God that he speaks to Paul in this way? We learn that God cares about his children. He cares enough to speak to them and encourage them. We learn that he is compassionate and loving. That He knows what we need to hear and when. Because He knows everything about us and is always present.

I think it is encouraging and shows God's love for Him.  I remember how God appeared to him and revealed Himself to him.  He told Paul he had a job to do for Him.  So, the relationship grew and continued.

It's relationship!  He also could count on Him to meet every need. And could trust Him to do it!

On 11/28/2017 at 1:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24)

How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting?

God's encouragement provides assurance to Paul when most needed.  All Paul need to do is depend on Him. 

What do we learn about God that he speaks to Paul in this way?

God is a loving and caring God.  When you have a relationship with Him, He is always there for you.  We learn that God wants Paul to depend on Him.  

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24) How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting? What do we learn about God that he speaks to Paul in this way?

- Paul knows his weakness and fear but God knows Paul and  God walks with him and also Paul prays

and  recognizes Gods voice.

- We believe our God always with us and communication with Him about our Problem

and pray to Him please guide me where ever I am. 

We learn from Paul to hear from Gods voice.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24) How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting? What do we learn about God that he speaks to Paul in this way?

Being of the zealous nature Paul is, I imagine it felt pretty good. The fact that Paul was able to hear his voice and be comforted by it is a feat in itself. I’m sure many people in his situation would be thinking things like “what have I got myself into this time?”, because the normal thing for most to think of at such a time is survival yet Paul is able to maintain a sense of the fact that we will on day die anyway which is something most people don’t and only think of how they want to live yet another day. When God speaks to a person in this way, I’m thinking how encouraging it is to know that come the resurrection, the things we went through will have more than been worth it and here is God himself taking the time to remind us.

How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting? Absolutely amazing! So very assuring & privileged What do we learn about God that he speaks to Paul in this way? God shows Paul that He is very personal, caring, in control, encouraging, perfectly directive, involved & comforting.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24) How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting? What do we learn about God that he speaks to Paul in this way?

I believe this brought great comfort and reassurance to his spirit. Paul regains courage, feels empowered, and is eager to continue the mission God had assigned him.

We learn that God loves and cares for each of us personally. He is faithful in his promises. Reminds us that He is in total control of all things, and though we may experience hardships in our lives, God is always there, guiding us through His Spirit, comforting us when we hurt, lifting us up to continue the course set before us.  

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24) 
What do we learn about God that He speaks to Paul in this way?

I know how I would feel after receiving the same encouragement from my Heavenly Father – totally committed and motivated! Like Paul, whenever I find myself going through a rough patch, that is the time to spend some extra time in the Word; and it is then that God speaks (through His Word) to me. In Paul’s case, God gave him a promise: “My grace is sufficient for you.” It was possible for God’s grace to go to work in Paul’s life once he accepted his affliction. This then enabled Paul to experience the power of Jesus in his life – transforming weakness into strength. It was this weakness that gave him the courage and hope needed. Paul recognised his limitations and started to depend more and more on God for his effectiveness rather than on his own energy or effort. Here we notice that our limitations not only help develop our Christian character, but also deepen our worship – in admitting them we affirm God’s strength in our life.
We learn that He is a loving and caring Heavenly Father, full of mercy and grace. Always there to lend a helping hand and always ready to personally praise us for a job well done. This reminds me of Hebrews 4:16 that we can approach the throne of grace with confidence (Hebrews 4:16), and that if we ask anything according to his will, He hears us (1 John 5:14). 

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24) How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting? What do we learn about God that he speaks to Paul in this way?

1. It feels good, he knows that he is not alone, God loves, cares and will protect him. He feels like he is in God’s hand. Paul got the sense of not giving up on God and received a closer walk with God.

2. We learn that if God protected, encouraged, and let Paul know that he is there, he will do it for us. We learn that we can trust God. When we trust God, we do not have fear. We learn that when we are in a distraction, God will rescue us.

I think Paul felt encouraged, comforted and strengthened in his weaknesses, hurt or when he was afraid knowing the fact that God spoke to him directly concerning these situations. 

God is concerned about us in our various state and emotions.  He gives us the assurance we need if we will allow Him to. 

Q2. (2 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24)

1. How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting?

A) I think that it does Paul good to know that God was personally encouraging him even though Paul was told that he would be bound and this was from the Holy Spirit, and still God was with him thru his decision.

2. What do we learn about God that he speaks to Paul in this way?

A) It tells me that God is personally involved with us, and that He's not just sitting up in heaven watching everything and hoping; He is an active and very involved God.

Paul feels assured and courageous to know that he has the support of God himself in carrying out his will. This confidence builds his faith so he can be comforted even through the persecutions and trial. He knows now that when He is weak and cannot do it by himself, that God is strong and he can rely on His strength. Paul is profoundly moved and begins to exult in his weakness.

God is telling us that it is through His power and His guidance we can do the work for Him and  not relying on our own strength thinking we may not have all the resources, health may be failing etc

Q2. (1 Corinthians 12:9a; Acts 18:9-10; 23:11; 27:24)

Q. How do you think it feels to Paul for God to personally encourage him when he is afraid and hurting?

A. Paul felt encouraged when he was afraid and God encouraged him that He would be with him to protect and deliver him from his enemies. When he was hurting due to the thorn in his flesh, God told  him that His grace was sufficient for him. This encouraged him knowing that God will always be there for/ with him.

Q. What do we learn about God that he speaks to Paul in this way?

A. God is loving and available to comfort us at our time of needs ,words of comfort.