JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Go to Jerusalem

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn’t been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem? Would you have tried to dissuade him? It’s comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger? What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path?

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn't been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem?  Well, think about Jonah. When God wants something done, it gets done.

Would you have tried to dissuade him? Yes, if I had feared for his life.

It's comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger? It takes a great deal of maturity, but it also causes growth.

What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path? We miss opportunity and reward.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:08 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Paul might have followed his own plan, and Gods plan would have been thwarted....temporarily, because I believe Paul knew the Lords voice and God would have prevailed...but It's sad to think if Paul had not been obedient to go to Jerusalem, so much of our Bible written there would be missing!

2. In my early walk I can see me thinking I knew best if someone was headed for pain or trouble. Now that I've been through many trials, losses, testing's and much trouble I would feel compassion for Paul but would keep my mouth shut knowing that It's pain, sorrow and testing which produces faith, perseverance and the fulfillment of God's plans and purposes and the building or our character. (Romans 8:28, and then v.29: that we be conformed to the image of Christ.)

3. If there is a choice to be made, I would say it takes some years of maturity and trust in God. We were not created to seek out pain or discomfort, or to enjoy hardship, so it's only through submission to God's authority that we would choose His will over our comfort.

4. To choose the easy path when there has been a directive, indicates  that we are in rebellion, which never turns out well.  Gods tests are not pass or fail..they are do overs....we just keep being tested until we arrive at His place for us.  About the hard path, which I have been on, the Lord spoke to me this morning: "I'm training you in perseverance, faith and trust in order that your life brings Me glory. The "hedge" around you is for protection and preparation, and though it may feel like it, is not a prison cell." (That was both comforting and reassuring to be reminded that His purposes are being accomplished...and that at the end of this trial He will be glorified...which is also my hearts desire for my life.)

If we are sure of God's instruction, then we will not follow it or listen to others.

Paul was sold out for Christ and he had made up his mind to do whatever it took to please God.

When we choose to do the easy way, then we usually have to take that test over (like Jonah) Every test on this journey is design to develop and teach us.

Paul would not have gone because he would have feared eminent danger, imprisonment and hurt. 

If i were in the situation, having lived the reality of seeing the inhumane torture and persecution  of y fellow man, I would have tried to dissuade him like his friends did, because I would also have thought that God would not have sent him into direct danger. However, from the outside and with knowledge of the testimonies of God's work ,, I can look at the bigger picture and think otherwise.

It takes a level of maturity indicative of an intimate relationship with God to harness that kind of blind trust. Often , the easy way does not help us to grow stronger, plus we can lose great opportunities in Ministry.

What would have happened if Paul hadn't been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem?

He would not have gone and God's will would not have succeeded.

Would you have tried to dissuade him?

If I knew Paul was following God's will I would not have dissuaded him.

It's comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger?

If you believe with all your heart that God is leading you into danger (whether mature or not) you will follow. The power of God is great and He can ease any fears you may have.

What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path?

Then you are following you own path and not God's. 

On 1/20/2018 at 9:32 AM, LaVerne said:

Well, think about Jonah. When God wants something done, it gets done.

God bless all.

If he hadn't been sure, God would have confirmed it again to him.

Sure.  I would be concerned about his safety as a friend.

It takes a high level of maturity to continue on a path that might lead to hardship and danger.  But the assurance of knowing you were in God's perfect will strengthens you.  I think about those ministering in closed countries and the joy they have in suffering for Christ.

Taking the easy way, we miss out on the blessings God has for us.

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn't been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem? Would you have tried to dissuade him? It's comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger? What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path? If Paul had not been sure of his instructions he might have been persuaded not to go to Jerusalem. Then many people would not have been reached for the Lord. And afterwards Paul would have felt very bad knowing that he missed out on what God wanted for him to do. Yes, I might have been one of them trying to dissuade him; knowing what was in store for him. We are all guilty of wanting the easy way out.

It takes a very strong mature Christian to be able to go where you know you might be in danger. It takes a person who is into the meat of the Word and who knows the Lord as well as Moses knew God. Someone who is as the apostle John called a young man or a father. One who is strong in the faith and had overcome the wicked one or the devil. A new believer does not have the strength to do it like a more mature saint has. A more mature older saint has tried and found out that God is faithful and will help him or her.

When we choose the easy way we forego some of the blessings and gifts that God could have given us. We miss out on opportunities to witness for Him and on drawing closer to Him. We miss out on becoming stronger, closer, and more like Him. And we miss out on any

rewards or fruit we would have gotten from our efforts. We really miss out on being fully blessed and more fruitful when we opt out of something we think is too hard for us.

1   PAUL WOULD NOT HAVE GONE TO JERUSALEM BUT FOLLOWED HIS OWN HEAD.

.2. PROBARLY BEAUSE SELF TELLS US WE ARE RIGHT AND MAYBE WE DID NOT HEAR FROM GOD.

3.  ONE HAS TO HAVE EXTREME MATURITY IN BELIEVING THAT GOD KNOWS WHAT IS BEST FOR US AND HE WILL NOT LEAD US IN A WRONG DIRECTION.   

4.  WE MISS OUT ON KNOWNING THE ONLY TRUE GOD AND MISS ALL THE BLESSINGS HE HAS INSTORE FOR US.

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn't been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem?   Being “unclear-unsure” of a direction given to us by God will lead to a life of uncertainty.  Always questioning decision making, feeling of being uncertain or uneasy/unsettled in our spirit. 

Would you have tried to dissuade him? I most likely would have spoke about the reality of the dangers within the journey, and leaned towards safety of not going. But over the years i have strongly developed the belief, (as many probably do) if we follow what we believe is Gods “voice” what’s meant to be will be. (Good or bad in the eyes of a believer.)

It's comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger? I believe it requires a certain level of maturity,  and definetly would create  growth as a Christian.

What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path? Choosing the easier path may lead to an uneasiness that will keep you searching and possibly never content with clearly hearing the voice of God. 

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn’t been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem? Would you have tried to dissuade him? It’s comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger? What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path?

- Paul is a man, he following his mind and confusing of missionary Journey

- We hear sometimes ourselve and make mistake too, but try to learn with Gods voice be better life.

- I believe Gods direction is sure not danger because of His love.

- God knows us and has plan in our life. I believe in Psalm 23,3-4

On 11/28/2017 at 1:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14)

What would have happened if Paul hadn’t been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem?

Paul would have allowed the flesh to take over.  The flesh would have kept him from going to Jerusalem.

In my earlier walk with Christ, I would have tried to dissuade him.  Now that I have matured more in my spiritual walk with Christ I believe I would not have.

It’s comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger?

Great level!

What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path?

We do not have the trust in God that we proclaim. 

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn't been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem? Would you have tried to dissuade him? It's comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger? What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path?

If he wasn’t sure of his instructions, he could have been on his way to Jerusalem to face disaster God did not have in mind for him. Would I have tried to dissuade him? That’s a question worth much thought. For sure I would have wanted him to be 100% sure that’s what God wanted him to do and at that point I may have just looked at him with awe and admiration for the courage of the spirit. In all truth it would only take a child-like maturity to head into hardship and danger, especially after having been there but at the same time doubt likes to put it’s 2 cents worth in at times like this and this is where the maturity would pay off. When we choose a way we decide on because of less bumps in the road? Well, look what happened to Jonah? He had to lay in the (no doubt) smelly belly of a fish for a season. It can get harder when we try to take the easy road.

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn’t been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem?  He would have been persuaded by his fellowmen to avoid going to Jerusalem.

Would you have tried to dissuade him? I probably wouldn't because if he was determined and convinced that it was the Holy Spirit giving him directions, then who am I to put a stop to God's calling. I would definitely  be very concerned for his safety, pray for him, and let God's will be done. 

It’s comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger? You would have to be very mature spiritually, in sinc with God, aligned with His Spirit to be able to listen and distinguish God's voice from your own and be willing to to obey HIs commands at all costs.

What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path? We could be losing out on a spiritual blessing from God. God might be wanting to move us to another level spiritually(growth).

What would have happened if Paul hadn't been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem? 
It's comforting to receive encouraging words. 
What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger? 

In every city Paul visited he was told by the Holy Spirit that he had to go to Jerusalem. Although he did not know exactly what the turn of events would be in Jerusalem, he did know that he would be facing hardships and perhaps even prison. I don’t think it was ever an option for Paul not to go to Jerusalem. He had to obey our LORD - it was an inner compulsion, which he was apparently unable to throw off. 
What would I have done? Would I have tried to dissuade Paul? I suppose without a clear message from my Lord, in all honesty, I would have been concerned about his safety, and in all probability would have tried to prevent him from going on to Jerusalem. On the other hand, to receive encouraging words do make our choices easier and give us greater courage. 
To obey instructions that might lead to hardships and danger, shows total commitment and maturity. All Paul wanted to do was to obey God and to please Him, even if this meant he would be called upon to offer up his life. I remember what he wrote in Philippians 1:21: “For to me, to live is Christ, to die is gain”. No sacrifice was too great for the One who died for him. His only concern was that he completed the task he had received from the Lord Jesus, and this was to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.
It is so much easier to choose the easy way. We might easily be dissuaded from following the Lord because of wrong guidance from friends and family. Also, the concern for our own safety or comfort can keep us from pressing ahead to follow the Holy Spirit’s guidance in difficult circumstances. It is easy to equate being in the Lord’s will when everything is working out happily, but much harder when things are not going our way. 

On 1/22/2018 at 11:36 AM, Catbird said:

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn't been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem?   Being “unclear-unsure” of a direction given to us by God will lead to a life of uncertainty.  Always questioning decision making, feeling of being uncertain or uneasy/unsettled in our spirit. 

Would you have tried to dissuade him? I most likely would have spoke about the reality of the dangers within the journey, and leaned towards safety of not going. But over the years i have strongly developed the belief, (as many probably do) if we follow what we believe is Gods “voice” what’s meant to be will be. (Good or bad in the eyes of a believer.)

It's comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger? I believe it requires a certain level of maturity,  and definetly would create  growth as a Christian.

What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path? Choosing the easier path may lead to an uneasiness that will keep you searching and possibly never content with clearly hearing the voice of God. 

discontentment-ugh! great input!

What would have happened if Paul hadn’t been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem? He may have listened to the Tyre disciples who through the Spirit urged Paul not to go on to Jerusalem (Act 21:4) or evangelist Philip & company in Caesarea, missing his assignment in Jerusalem & ultimately not stayed on track to finish his unique race (Acts 20:24) & erroneously considering his well-being & life before his call as a “chosen instrument to proclaim My name to the Gentiles & their kings & to the people of Israel.” Acts 9:15. Although I suspect that Father would have directed Paul right where he needed to be, The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.” Proverbs 16:9 Would you have tried to dissuade him? It’s comforting to receive encouraging words. I doubt I would have directly but I may have agreed with others! What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger? A great deal of courage & trust could be presumed to face known risk. Certainly a super convinced faith in Gods plan & high devotion to it no matter what. What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path? Hmm, I suppose we might have regrets but we wouldnt know that we took the wrong way necessarily. Ripple effects or the butterfly effect would have consequences.

Paul knew he had to fullfill his mission. The Holy Spirit showed Paul that he would suffer. His strong character was a good example to some who also suffer for Christ.

No Paul had already been told by the Holy Spirit to go. Paul thought life was worth nothing unless used for  Gods work.   There was work to be done in Jerusalem.  What Paul put in to God's work was more important than what he got out of it.

We are humans and I think we would take the easy way. It takes a fully faithful person to take the hard way. Paul was the greatest missionary that ever lived. We all need to focus on the task that God has given us to do.

We need to stay in the Spirit to do whatever God leads us to do. read his word daily, pray listen for God to tell us what to do.

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn’t been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem? Paul may have felt guilt for missing out on a God's given opportunity to serve God and bring souls to Christ. He would have gone elsewhere and followed the advice of the people of Tyre instead of listening to God's voice and heeding it. 

Would you have tried to dissuade him?No because God told him where he needed to go and he couldn't persuaded otherwise

It’s comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger?It takes a great deal of maturity to receive direction that might lead hardship and danger. It also takes a great deal of courage as well. 

What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path?We miss out on God given opportunities to do things that God wants to do. Nor do we have faith to claim the promises in the word of God that are for us. 

Q3. (Acts 19:21; 20:22-24; 21:12-14) What would have happened if Paul hadn't been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem? Would you have tried to dissuade him? It's comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger? What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path?

1. He would have been hindered by the flesh.He probably would not have finished the task of testifying the gospel of God's grace.

2. No! God’s will must be done and trials are a part of doing his will.

3. It takes trust and determination to do God's  will. Know that Jesus went through hardship of trials and did not quit. The holy ghost is a comforter and will lead, guide, and protect us. We must have faith in God which means to trust him in every way. We must be a person that don’t cease from praying and reading the word alone with fasting.

4. We have failed to put our trust in God. We must repent and get back up with determination to do God’s will.

He might have been swayed by the people because he knew they loved him and meant him well.  However, this would have prevented him from accomplishing God's mission for his life. 

I possibly would because no one wants anyone they love to suffer any kind of harm. 

I think it takes a level of maturity which where one would have completely abandoned his or her desires in order to fulfill God's will for his or her life.  It is one that realizes that his or her life is not his or her own but a gift from God to be used for His glory. 

When we choose the easy way, we might feel comfortable like Jonah, but in the end, it will catch u on us or we might suffer the dis-ease of being out of God's will.

Paul would not have gone because he would have feared eminent danger, imprisonment and hurt. Gods will would be fulfilled through someone else.

I would have tried to dissuade him like his friends did, because i would also have thought that God would not have sent Him into direct danger. However, from the outside, I can look at the bigger picture and think otherwise.

It takes a level of  maturity indicative of an intimate relationship with God to harness that kind of blind trust. Often, the easy way does not help us to grow stronger plus we  may lose great opportunities in ministry.

Q. What would have happened if Paul hadn't been sure of his instructions from the Holy Spirit to go to Jerusalem?

A. He would have aborted his trip to Jerusalem by yielding to the pressure by the people and his colleagues but he resisted them and yielded to the Lord's voice through the Holy Spirit

Q. Would you have tried to dissuade him?

A. I probably would have unless if otherwise I hear also clearly from the Holy Spirit that he should go to Jerusalem

Q. It's comforting to receive encouraging words. What level of maturity does it take to receive a direction that might lead us into hardship and danger?

A. It takes maturity, grace faith and total dependence in God to yield to encouragement that prompts me to obey the small voice that instructs me to go somewhere or do something that will land me into trouble. The immature and fearful one will likely refuse to obey the direction knowing fully that it will lead to trouble.

Q. What happens when we choose the easy way, when God leads us on a difficult path?

A. We fail to obey Him and thus loose our reward

On 11/29/2017 at 2:08 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Paul would have cancelled the trip to Jerusalem and perhaps missed out on the bigger plans God had from that point.

I would have tried to dissuade Paul if I knew his life was at stake, unless I get clear reasoning from God on His missions or plans. Otherwise, yeah, I could have dissuaded Paul.

It takes a lot of reasoning and courage to take up any decisions that involves risks, but it takes a whole lot of wisdom to accept the hard way, when God directs us towards that way, and the courage to accept the route, may be even bigger. It gets a whole lot easier when we accept all storms knowing HE is present along with us, as He executed His Plans. Even if it means hardship.

If we were to choose the easy way out, events may turn out to be the opposite or even disastrous from what God intended from the start. But then again, God has a way to turn things around, even if we chickened out. Knowing mankind, at times we are afraid to  place our feet down in the mud. It takes a whole lot of courage to brace that fact.

On 28/11/2017 at 8:08 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

He would probably never have got to Rome as the Holy Spirit had commanded him. If I had known he was in great danger I would have tried to dissuade him, but Paul was resolute. Only when we are sure of the Holy Spirit directing us must we listen and be obedient. God has a plan for us and His plans are always good plans. We need to choose His way and not the easy way..........