JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Clear Direction

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20) Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? What would he have done if the word weren’t so clear? What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)? What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you’ll be criticized for later? Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience?

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20) Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? This was something new to him and if it had not been clear he may have thought that he imagined the command.

What would he have done if the word weren't so clear? Not bothered with the gentiles.

What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)? He is sure that it is God's will.

What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you'll be criticized for later? Strong faith

Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience? Not so much any more as I have grown in my faith

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:09 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20) Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? What would he have done if the word weren’t so clear? What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)? What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you’ll be criticized for later? Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience?

1. This was the moment of revelation to the first believers that the gospel included the Gentiles.

2. Without a clear command Simon would most likely not have gone with his visitors as he was still "steeped" in the law and the traditions of Judaism, and only the Lord could remove the blinders and reveal the wonderful news that Gentiles (including me) could be born again by the Blood of Jesus!

3. He relied on and related to those criticizing his actions,  the clear directive and command from the Holy Spirit.

4. It takes courage, faith and trust in God's faithfulness in order to obey.

5. In my early years I was given a number of directives that resulted in criticism and retaliation....but I was clueless when I obeyed that criticism would follow. I was just overjoyed to know I was hearing from the Lord and that He was shaping my life and directing my steps. In my later years, because of how He took care of me in those early "events" I've been able to obey, regardless of what may happen as a result. (I decided a long time ago I'd rather face others criticism, disapproval, or anger, rather than disappoint my loving Father.) I also have been able to rejoice over what HE accomplished through the trials. (I've said to those who know what we've been through "I would never want to go through those things again...but I wouldn't want to have missed what the Lord did IN US as a result.)

He had to get a clear understanding of the spirit so that he wouldn't lean to his own understanding. The gentile were not accepted yet to be follower of Christ.

When others have not received confirmation of the spirit. they lean to their own understanding and criticized for what is being done.

The question is " Who will you please, man or God?

We must stand when others don't. We must be obedience to the spirit.

Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? 

So that Simon would know that it is God's will for him to go with them.

What would he have done if the word weren't so clear?

As this was the beginning of the evangelization of the Gentiles all over the known world,  he may not have gone.

What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)?

He explains that the Spirit told him to go with them.

What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you'll be criticized for later?

Strong faith and belief.  You are following God's will and the criticism of others does not matter.

Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience?

Sometimes it is hard, but if I know that God is leading me I will follow.

It was very important.  He would be ministering to Gentiles.  And this time it would involve breaking a Jewish law--that he had grown up with.

He may not have gone at all.

He told them he was Spirit led.  He repeated his vision.

That's where your complete trust in God and His leading comes in.  Criticism comes no matter what.

I try not to.  Much prayer has to follow and trust that God's will will be done.

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20) Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? What would he have done if the word weren't so clear? What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)? What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you'll be criticized for later? Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience?

It was important because Simon as a Jew believed that the Jews and Greeks or Gentiles should be separated and not eat together or do anything together. Because they were not clean like the Jews were and they worshipped idols. God had to make him understand that the Gentiles were included in the plan of salvation and he had no right to call them unclean or unfit.

If the word from God had not been so clear Simon would have refused to go down and go with the visitors and then the man and his family would not have been saved. It takes a strong faith and a deep conviction and belief that this is what God wants you to do. You have to know beyond a doubt that it is in God’s will for you.

I sometimes try to avoid doing things I know He wants to do out of fear of men and what they will say or think.

- Because is important for Simon, he knows Gods direction is very clear for Mission Journey.

- If not clear, he sleep again

- Holy Spirit with him and  he follows them.

- We must have strong faith to our God and taining to hear His voice .

- When God with us, nor fear.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20)

Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors?

So that he could break our of his comfort zone and be obedient to God's directions.

What would he have done if the word weren’t so clear?

He would not have gone with the men.

He tells the story of the vision he had and how the Holy Spirit directed him to go with the Gentiles.

What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you’ll be criticized for later? Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience?

Strong faith and complete trust in God.  I must admit, sometimes I do!

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20) Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? What would he have done if the word weren't so clear? What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)? What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you'll be criticized for later? Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience?

I’m thinking the reason it was so important for Simon to get an exquisitely clear command was because of Peter’s traditional Jewish roots. Peter possibly could have interpreted the dream in the natural as an attack by Satan to do something which was supposed to have been wrong. This was a very important command as it was a most historic occasion in the church because it marked the end of the 70 weeks the prophet Daniel prophesied about the word going out to the Jewish people only. Even Jesus, when He first sent the disciples out He told them not to reach out to any but the Jews. Knowing Peter, things could have ended up in confrontation because in the natural it just wouldn’t have made sense to go with the gentiles, to the point of eating with them even. When criticized for his action he explains about the vision and how everything unfolded in a very orderly manner as God would of course had arranged things for this glorious event.

Concerning obeying the spirit, knowing full well there will be confusion takes faith, but I have had things happen to me when the spirit (very loudly) told me to get up and say something and I believe a certain touch of courage comes from God at such times. There have been times I didn’t do what I was supposed to have done and felt a real shame over, but it was just yesterday morning I was told to speak to a gathering about something that I knew was going to be challenged somewhat heavily. I asked my wife who was supposed to be the speaker (it was a weekly prayer meeting our ministry conducts), and she said it was her turn, but she wasn’t prepared and asked me if I would do it for her (she told me I always have something to say, lol). How perfect. God clearly told me to speak about something before returning to the states and he spent the day telling me what needs to be said. I found a verse to go with everything and it didn’t take but a minute it seemed people wanted to take a stick to me. But, God gave me the words, answers to the questions and with one in particular I had to be pretty forceful (the traditions of man vs the Bible had hit a sore spot it seemed). Anyway, like I said, if God wants something put out He gets it done one way or another and if you’re the one chosen I believe he provides extra courage. I say this never having faced what many Christians over the centuries have faced and I pray the God would strengthen me heavily were He to send me to the lion’s den, stake, (you know what I mean).

Sorry for the rant, it just seemed to pour out.

I believe Peter was committed to serving God with his whole heart, what ever the cost. However he had life long training that needed to be corrected before he could serve God to the fullest capacity. I believe we all have things that God wants to change in our lives so that we might be a shining light to the lost so that they might see how much Jesus loves them. And Peter not wanting to offend or sin against God had to hear it plain and clear. This way when he was questioned for his association with the Gentiles he could boldly give an answer.  It takes the fear of God (reverence, respect, & trust in God) to do something you know your own church family will criticize you for doing it.  And you should be ready and willing to ask for forgiveness if you were wrong (be humble not arrogant and most people may not agree with you but they will most likely accept, and respect your decision.  Once I put off telling a church family what I knew God had laid on my heart. It was concerning money & a Holy Spirit lead life.  For two weeks I couldn't eat or sleep and then finally like Peter I told them what God laid on my heart and that I was fighting God by putting off what God want me to say to them.  The miracle, and blessings that followed after the church family accepted the message from God went beyond any ones expectations.  I realized at that point that God is only limited when we set the limits.

Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? Perhaps the visitors would have had a hard time convincing Peter or Peter could have refused them w/out knowing the Lords next steps for him. What would he have done if the word weren’t so clear? Perhaps he would seek God concerning this & delay/interfere w/ other events; curious that the angel & lesson writer referred to him as Simon first. What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)? He confirmed what the Spirit had told him.  What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you’ll be criticized for later? Experienced, confident faith. Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience? I generally get a knot in my stomach & pray. Sometimes I cave but sometimes I obey. Unfortunately, I dont get a clear command other than what is written in scripture. Another curiosity is the meat on the sheet & whether Peter ever ate from the sheet or what was being prepared + the voices' command to Get up, Kill & eat???

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20) Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? Peter was a devout Jew,  they had a tradition that they would not enter the home of a non-Jew, for to enter would somehow contaminate them or make them unclean.

What would he have done if the word weren’t so clear? Peter would have refused to accompany them.

What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)? Relates the Holy Spirit's message to him, along with the experience he had when he went into a trance and saw the mantle descend from heaven with the unclean animals and was commanded to eat.  He simply obeyed the Holy Spirit and after witnessing Cornelius' household get save and be baptized by the Holy Spirit, he added:  "If God gave them the same gift he gave us who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could stand in God’s way".

What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you’ll be criticized for later? An unrelenting, totally persuaded type of faith.

Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience? No. At least I don't think I disobey just because people would be critical of me. I know that the one I live to please is God. I pray that like Peter, I will be sensitive to the Holy Spirit,  to be able to hear His voice more clearly, and to obey and be led by Him.

What would he have done if the word weren't so clear? 
What does he do when he is criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)? 
What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you'll be criticized for later? 

Our Lord wanted to spread the Gospel to the Gentiles. It was therefore important for Peter to get a clear command to overcome his Jewish teaching of separation and to understand what God had taught him in this vision. 
If the word he received was not so clear he would have carried on believing that Gentiles are outcasts, and are not to be associated with. 
When Peter gets back to Jerusalem he is criticized for eating with Gentiles. It was only when he had told them the whole story did they begin to understand and in the end they praised God for what had happened; as we read in Acts 11:18: “When they heard this, they had no further objections and praised God, saying, "So then, even to Gentiles God has granted repentance that leads to life."
Peter’s response to God’s word shows complete faith in the LORD, especially knowing that he will be criticized for it later. It also shows us that the Lord moves us in our growth, preparing us for the next step in becoming more and more like Him. 
I cannot think of a situation when I disobeyed any word I had received from the Lord. However, I admit it will take a special kind of courage, which only comes from the Lord, to not obey a command that will bring any kind of disapproval or even an attack. 

Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? Perhaps the visitors would have had a hard time convincing Peter or Peter could have refused them w/out knowing the Lords next steps for him. What would he have done if the word weren’t so clear? Perhaps he would seek God concerning this & hesitate. What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)? He confirmed what the Spirit had told him.  What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you’ll be criticized for later? Experienced, confident faith. Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience? I generally get a knot in my stomach & pray. Sometimes I cave but sometimes I obey. Unfortunately, I dont get a clear command other than what is written in scripture & that is plenty enough instruction to hear! So in Romans 2 we might realize that having the capacity to judge, maybe big time like me (prayers appreciated), comes with great responsibility. I get & deserve criticism b/c Im not always necessarily walking in the Spirit & honestly cant tell the difference! So I get to work on this judgment stuff; with a goal of doing so only out of love.  im always tempted to impress rather than be quiet, pray or do some variety of justice & mercy. Hallelujah, He cleanses (1 Jn 1:9) So, yeapers, i long for & actively wait for clarity, correction, guidance which I desperately need.

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20) Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? What would he have done if the word weren’t so clear? What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)? Perhaps for Peter if he didn't get a clear command to go he would disobey and choose to not to go. Souls would not have been saved from the Gentile nation as well.  He reconfirms what the Spirit told him about the Gentiles and them needing to be saved. 

What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you’ll be criticized for later? Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience? A very courageous faith that trusts completely in God and His Promises. Yes I have multiple times but I am learning to obey.

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20) Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? What would he have done if the word weren't so clear? What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)? What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you'll be criticized for later? Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience?

1. He needed to be in the direction of God to avoid confusion and trouble. He needed to know that God sent them.

2. He probably would not have been obedient to go with his visitors.

3. He relates that the Spirit told him to go with them.He told them about the vision he had.

4. It takes determination, crazy faith, trusting God and the love of God.

5. No, I do my best not to.

Being a Jew who was now serving the Messiah, Simon was culturally nurtured to believe that Jews had nothing to do with anyone outside of their race.  Additionally, the Romans were their oppressors.  So, the vision prepared Peter to receive the visitors who were not of his race.  

Peter would have rejected them because culturally they were unclean and they would have been despised and rejected by the Jews (now converted followers of Christ).

He recounted his vision and preparation by the Holy Spirit who assured him not to doubt anything.

It takes humility faith and childlike faith to obey the Spirit of God.  If we understand that the approval of God is more important than the disapproval of man, it does not take much, especially when we value His approval.

I had disobeyed not because of fear of criticism, but because of my own self-will.  May God forgive me and help me to move forward with His grace and love.

First Peter doubted himself.After thinking of the vision the Holy Spirit spoke to him telling him to go to the men knowing the Lord showed him it was alright.

If the Holy Spirit had not spoken to Peter I think he would have sent the men away.

In this time it was not even possible for Jews to associate with Gentiles but following the Holy Spirit Peter took the gospel to a Roman and Peter went despite his feelings.

It takes strong faith. If you quote scripture to someone they may reject you. We have to keep on keeping on.

Q. Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors?

A. So that he would not make a mistake of listening to his own faulty human mind 

Q. What would he have done if the word weren't so clear?

A. He probably would have not obeyed the uncertain voice

Q. What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)?

A. He explained that his action was in obedience to a clear and persistent instruction by the Lord himself

Q. What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you'll be criticized for later?

A. It takes cast iron faith which is hard to come by

Q. Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience?

A. I can't recall such circumstance/incidence

On 11/29/2017 at 2:09 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

(Acts 10:19-20) Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors?

So that everything goes according to God's will and not his.

What would he have done if the word weren’t so clear?

He would have made a mistake he would regret.

He remains calm and claims that He wants clear direction from God, and not mankind.

What kind of faith does it take to obey the Spirit and take an action you know you’ll be criticized for later?

Crazy Faith, Faith that is unconditionally strong, and determined to act upon every Direction from GOD, the source of all our ways.

I accept all I do within my self-will as my own disasters, if it was ruined, or events turned out wrongfully. However, I am willing to face cricism and insults for my obedience when I do something that God wants me to, because I do not really care what mankind thinks, rather, I rely on my Eternal Father.. I am willing to forego my reputation for my King

On 28/11/2017 at 8:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

It would be the start of the evangelisation of Gentiles throughout the world. He had just had a vision of the ' unclean food ' and a word from God, so the word that followed was clearly from God. He would have stayed where he was. When criticised he gave them an account of the vision he had had. He was not concerned about going to uncircumcised gentiles. He goes with 6 fellow believers to Caesarea to the house of Cornelius. The faith it takes is that of knowing for sure that the command received has come from God and knowing that it will lead to doing God's will. I don't know that I disobey as I haven't been tested fully up till now with God's Word up till now. I will in future be more discerning and will obey.

It was against the law for a Jew to associate with a Gentile, so he would not have naturally according to society laws go with the men. He would be criticized for this later. A clear instruction to go, leads him to the house of Cornelius.  He is still meditating on the vision, wondering what God is trying to tell him, so being interrupted in this, may have prevented him from going.  There was also violence against believers by Roman soldiers, and Cornelius was a high ranking soldier, this may also have prevented him going.

Criticism is a natural part of ministering.  It is also natural to a walk with the Lord. This is why Jesus said in Matt 5:10-11 " Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me."  It think to walk with the Lord and not expect insult and criticism is a bit naive.  Faith is being convinced of something, with no doubt.  And yet, that faith can be as small as a mustard seed.  The question really is, what have you become convinced of, that you will stick to your conviction, even when people call you a fool and say unkind things about you.

Criticism for obedience is the strategy of the enemy.  He does not want us to obey, so he will do whatever he can to undermine the obedience of the saints.  Not obey, half obey, obey to 90%.  All of it is still disobedience. If the saints disobey, the work of the Master is hampered.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Acts 10:19-20) Why was it important for Simon to get a very clear command from the Spirit to go with his visitors? It is very clear otherwise he would not have agreed to go with them because they were Gentiles, who were uncircumcised, with whom they never used to mingle (interact).

What would he have done if the word weren't so clear? He would have prayed about it, to seek clarity.

What does he do when criticized for taking this action (Acts 11:2, 12)? He explains to them what might have transpired.

Do you disobey when you know you might face criticism for obedience? No, I do not disobey.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.      First he saw the vision of the animals he believed were unclean on a sheet taken up to heaven. Peter kept thinking on the vision.  The Spirit gave him exact direction telling him about the three visitors coming to see him and that the Spirit had sent them and that he was to go to Cornelius’ home to bring God’s message of salvation to the Gentiles.

b.      If it was not so clear he might not have gone.

c.       The circumcised believers criticized Peter for eating with uncircumcised men, but Peter explained to them about the vision and how God led him to go to Cornelius’ house to bring the message of salvation to the Gentiles.

d.      Strong, unshakeable faith and really knowing that the Holy Spirit spoke to you.

e.   No, you obey knowing that the God of the Universe spoke to you and then it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.