JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Willing to Obey

• 2 months later...

Q3. (Psalm 32:8-9; John 7:17) Why is a willingness to obey without understanding the reasons for God’s commands so important?

A willingness to obey without understanding is key because God is ultimately in contol of our situations and not us. We truly cannot control people, situations, health or anything else whatsoever. We can only do what He asks of us to do whatever that may be.  For me I have learned that I am not in control of anything including my healthy or my eating disorder. The only thing that I can control is my decision to obey Him.

How does obedience sometimes help us understand God’s workings.

Obedience helps us understands His workings by giving us a glimpse into His character and goodness. It also shows us that He is all powerful and all knowing. It also shows us that He loves us enough to take care of us and our needs. 

(Psalm 32:8-9; John 7:17) Why is a willingness to obey without understanding the reasons for God's commands so important?  because He sees the future and knows what is best for us

How does obedience sometimes help us understand God's workings.When we see the end we see what He knew

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:17 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

,Q3. (Psalm 32:8-9; John 7:17) Why is a willingness to obey without understanding the reasons for God’s commands so important? How does obedience sometimes help us understand God’s workings.

1. When we obey without understanding, we are demonstrating faith in His faithfulness and trust in His wisdom, knowledge, love and sovereignty. That has taken some time for me to learn that what I think the reason might be doesn't matter. What matters is obedience.

2. Understanding sometimes comes afterward when we see "the why" in His command. When I heard "GO NOW" that day alone in the car in the isolated wilderness, I had no understanding of why, but after I obeyed instantly and was safely out of the mans proximity, having looked into the face of evil as we passed, I understood that God was rescuing me from harm or death. Over the years of walking with my Lord, I've learned that when He gives a command it's important and vital to obey or He wouldn't be speaking to me about it!

When I was brand new, however, I  was driving past a house and heard "Stop and tell them that I love them"... it was the house I had just read about in the paper that their teen age son and his older friend had been arrested for the murder of the friends parents and grandfather. There was a car parked in front and I was too embarrassed to stop and said I'll tell them on my way home from the store when they're alone. On the way home there were two cars, so I passed by without stopping. A week later I was miserable thinking about what they must be going through and told the Lord how sorry I was that I disobeyed Him and heard "Call them". After finding their number I called and explained that the Lord had spoken to me to stop and tell them He loves them but I was too embarrassed to stop since they had company. Mrs. Barker said "People stopped and called for a few days, but we're all alone in this now. We needed to hear it more today than last week when others were around" She thanked me profusely for calling.  I learned something that day. Sometimes when we're new and learning and are disobedient we get another chance. I learned also that because He knows everything, He knew I would not obey at once and extended grace to me and to the Barker family to finally say and for them to hear His love for them. (But I don't rely on 2nd chances anymore!)

A willingness to obey without understanding is trust in God.  His ways are not our ways and He can see the whole picture--we just see a small portion of it.

We can see by the results of our obedience.  But we may not even understand then, it is simply trust in God's plans & not my own.

We need to be willing to obey what God tells us to do without knowing everything or understanding why simply because we know that God is sovrieign. He knows the end from the beginning and He knows how it will all turn out. He is in control and we are in His hands. He will only do things that will help us to grow and become stronger. We need to trust Him and believe that He only wants what is best for us. If we understood or knew everything we probably would argue with Him about it. That is why He does not tell us everything because He knows what we would do. We do not need to know everything in order to obey Him. We only need to trust Him and let go of control. We n eed to learn to be submissive and willling. Only when we are obedient and trusting can He bless us and give us more to do. Only then can we have a deeper and more fulfilling relationship with Him.

Obedience helps us understand what God is doing when we see the fruit after it is all done or we see how God worked out our problems afterwards. We cannot fully understand when we are in the midst of it and are overwhelmed. God is the designer and the weaver. He is able to see the finished product or tapestry. He knows how it will all turn out and we need to trust Him.

Why is a willingness to obey without understanding the reasons for God’s commands so important? 

God knows all past, present and future.  He knows and guides us the way He wants us to go.

When God allows us to see the end result.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:17 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Psalm 32:8-9; John 7:17)

Why is a willingness to obey without understanding the reasons for God’s commands so important?

We do not see the whole picture, God does.  To obey without seeing the who picture is putting your trust in God.

We will never know what God is doing for our life unless we obey and trust him.

Why is a willingness to obey without understanding the reasons for God's commands so important? 

How does obedience sometimes help us understand God's workings?
We need to trust God instead of us remaining in control – we seem to forget He knows best, and is the source of all wisdom. He is all knowing and sees everything past, present and future. There must be complete surrender of our stubborn will to the point where we desire God’s will. It is only when we get to know Jesus well that we will be able to trust our Heavenly Father and want to do His will. The better we know Him the more will we find our will and desire to be in harmony with His. This ultimately leads to our loving and obeying our Lord and Saviour more and more. We may have spent a lifetime studying Scripture but still have no desire to do God’s will. The rebellious, carnal-minded person cannot discern the things of the Spirit, because the worldly-minded person has no desire to do God’s will. A good example of this were the Jewish rulers. In John 7:17 there is a promise if we are sincere in seeking the truth – God will reveal it to them.
Walking in obedience helps us in understanding God. His ways, will always be proved to be the best for our wellbeing - no true believer of Christ will ever perish, our eternal security is secure. We hear His voice day by day and obey His Word. The Lord Jesus knows each of us each by name, and as true sheep not one will be lost through an oversight or carelessness on His part. We must obey Him, first by exercising saving faith in Him, then by walking with Him in obedience.

Why is a willingness to obey without understanding the reasons for God’s commands so important? Obedience is stated by Jesus to be proof of my love for Him. (John 14:15) It is a reasonable response to His authority over my life & gives Him due respect & appreciation for who He is. Father values it so greatly that He attaches generous promises (peace, joy, blessings, etc) with it & negative consequences when we dont!  (deception, shame, burdened, etc)  How does obedience sometimes help us understand God’s workings. In retrospect we may learn about more of His ways, sovereignty & love. It can be a relief to know that He is in control of the outcome & that I could be a part of divine plans!

1 It is God's way or no way. Lots of people think they don't need our Lord but he is in command. We will learn the hard way to trust Jesus he loves us but he will bring us to him sometimes using discipline and punishment. We are not in control our Lord Jesus is our commander.

2 Our Lord died for our sins he did it because he loved us so much. because of this who would not want to be obedient to him. He loves us so much that we can start a new day with a new start by asking for forgiveness and be obedient.  One of the commandment is we should love him with all our heart and if we we will be obedient and ask for his love he will love us in return. If we want eternal life we will trust and obey for there is no other way, Praise the Living Lord.

Mess up posting this post

Q3. (Psalm 32:8-9; John 7:17) Why is a willingness to obey without understanding the reasons for God’s commands so important? How does obedience sometimes help us understand God’s workings?

Only when we do obey what God shows us will we find out what he is planning to do through us.   Our willingness demonstrates our trust in God and it is also.

I believe that if we obey God, it allows Him to reveal more to us.  Our willingness to obey helps us to develop a receptive heart.  Obedience shows trust and God will reveal more to us when we trust and seek to understand him.  We will come to understand that God has a greater purpose in everything. 

Q3. (Psalm 32:8-9; John 7:17) Why is a willingness to obey without understanding the reasons for God's commands so important? How does obedience sometimes help us understand God's workings?

1. Willingness to obey is an important part of being receptive to God's voice and trusting him.

2. We will know when we obey what God shows us, that we will find out what he plans to do through us. We will never know if we resist.

Q3. (Psalm 32:8-9; John 7:17) Why is a willingness to obey without understanding the reasons for God's commands so important? How does obedience sometimes help us understand God's workings.

We could never come close to understanding exactly what God is doing and if it even pertains to what we are supposed to do. It could be part of helping someone we don’t know or have never even met & might never do so. On the other hand, it is only proper because we also never know how another person may have been assigned to do something which has a good effect of us, and it could be someone we may never have met and possibly never will. In other words, we have no idea what all is going on in the world we live in or what is to take place. Sometimes we begin to figure some things out if we do as we are supposed to which we might never have figured out otherwise. Either way, obedience is important because it proves who really loves God (John 14:15  If ye love me, keep my commandments.). 

Q. Why is a willingness to obey without understanding the reasons for God's commands so important?

A. It is that important because your act of obedience is by faith/ trust in the Lord God Almighty who has the power and ability to do what he promises and to see us through whatever  he is taking us through.

Q. How does obedience sometimes help us understand God's workings.

A. By obeying God, we can see the result/ fruit of the obedience and then understand who God is and what he is doing doing in our lives.

Q3. (Psalm 32:8-9; John 7:17) Why is a willingness to obey without understanding the reasons for God’s commands so important? How does obedience sometimes help us understand God’s workings.

- Because of our relationship with Christ very good, we believe His wort and know His power make us strong. Only trust His promises.

Our God always working so we only believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Psalm 32:8-9; John 7:17) Why is a willingness to obey without understanding the reasons for God's commands so important? It is important to being receptive to God’s voice a willingness to obey is a willing and submissive spirit. When we become familiar with the Bible, we know the kinds of commands that God would never give, and thus discern that it is not God’s voice telling us that. God sees what we cannot see and counsel us with his eye upon us. If we listen, God is our wise counselor. He seeks to speak to us in counsel. He desires a more mature relationship based on trust rather than force if we fight him, we cannot serve him.

How does obedience sometimes help us understand God's workings? When we do obey what God shows us will we find out what he is planning to do through us. When we resist, we will never know.

On 11/28/2017 at 8:17 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Psalm 32:8-9; John 7:17) Why is a willingness to obey without understanding the reasons for God’s commands so important? How does obedience sometimes help us understand God’s workings.

Obedience is by definition: 1)To do it 2) immediately 3) to the full requirement 4) with a good attitude, 5) no questions asked.  This is how we want our kids to obey.  Instead they may take their time to do it, at their convenience, when they feel like it.  They may do a half job, or a 95% job, but never actually do it all.  They may do another job, a preferred job but not what you asked.  They may do it, but with a grudging heart, an angered heart etc that questions your heart and motivation.  Finally we may get a hundred and one questions, but they have still not obey and did it.

Obedience is in all aspects of obedience and has to be based on a knowledge, love and trust of the person giving the instruction.  A servant is slightly different to a child, in the sense that a parent may listen to the child express their emotions, but a servant would never think of expressing their opinion or emotion, or delaying following an instruction.  A servant would lose their job if they didn't do exactly what was asked.  So it is interesting that the word is servant, not child as a servant recognises the authority he is working under.  A servant gives up their own rights in service of the Master.  A servant works all the time in the interest of the Master.  A servant is willing to serve until death.A servant trusts that the Master will act in his interest by his position and authority as Master.  Why, because He is the Master and thus has endeavors greater than the servant may understand and the servant has put himself in service of the Master.

Which is why, just serving the Master as required, without seeing the full picture, because I love Him and submitted to serving Him for the rest of my life.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason that it we are to obey God’s commands so important without understanding is because we don’t have the big picture. We know that God only wants the good for us and if we don’t do what He wants then we will never get that good. We can see that if we are obedient we will understand God’s working because we will be able to see the good that He wanted for us.

Why is a willingness to obey without understanding the reasons for God's commands so important?

God has a larger plan that we generally cannot see. He is all knowing – Father knows best.

How does obedience sometimes help us understand God's workings.

I often question, is that the still voice of God, or is that just my own conscience? Last Sunday at church there was an alter call only part way into the service, basically asking who wants more trust in God, following an example of our trust in our equipment when we sky dive (say). Surely we can trust God who made us, if we can trust the sky diving equipment made by someone we don’t know?  We will never know what God is doing unless you obey. I eventually obeyed the call, but it took a bit of inner convincing and I was blessed with a wonderful prophecy, giving me hope for blessings in my latter years.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:17 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.)  We don't need to know, we just need to obey.  Trusting God that He knows what is best for us, and watches over us.  When we don't obey, nothing happens.

b.) When we obey, we can see a miracle and also know that we have obeyed God and not feel condemned. After the obedience, we can see God was in it all along.

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 12:17 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Because God knows what He is doing, if He prevents you from something He might be saying I have something better for you. God sees the whole picture and has everyone’s salvation worked out as well as damnation to those that will not obey Him.    God loves and expects obedience to Him, then He can pour out His Spirit into us.