JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Confirming vs. Testing

Q1. ((Judges 6:36-38; Psalm 95:7-10) Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief? What is the difference between Gideon’s seeking confirmation, and “testing God” in a way that displeases God? Does God mind if we ask for confirmation? When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation?

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:19 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. ((Judges 6:36-38; Psalm 95:7-10)

Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief?

No, Gideon wanted to be certain that he got the message right.

What is the difference between Gideon’s seeking confirmation, and “testing God” in a way that displeases God?

Gideon's is seeking confirmation in order to establish his faith so that he might lead God's people.  "Testing God" can be seen as attempts by unbelievers to demand things of God. 

Does God mind if we ask for confirmation? When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation?

No, I do not believe God minds.  However, it is the way we ask for confirmation.  If we demand confirmation in order for us to follow what God has asked of us, God might get upset.  That can be considered testing God.

Q1. ((Judges 6:36-38; Psalm 95:7-10) Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief?

No Gideon was looking for a sign because of the fact he was scared and his tribe was the smallest of the tribes of Israel and he needed to know that God really wanted him to rescue the Israelites from the Midianites.

What is the difference between Gideon’s seeking confirmation, and “testing God” in a way that displeases God

The difference is Gideon is looking for the Lord to let him know that He really wants something done and that really is God speaking to him about saving the Israelites. Testing God is demanding your own way or complaining about things that don't go your way or request a sign from the Lord on the basis that you don't believe in Him

Does God mind if we ask for confirmation? When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation?

No not unless you ask amiss and ask for what you don't need. He might be upset when we ask in unbelief or demand a sign from Him.

No.  Gideon asks for a sign to make sure it is God talking to him.

What is the difference between Gideon’s seeking confirmation, and “testing God” in a way that displeases God?

Gideon is asking for confirmation and is not demanding miracles.

Does God mind if we ask for confirmation?

No.  God knows those that are learning.

When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation?

When we demand it.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:19 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. ((Judges 6:36-38; Psalm 95:7-10) Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief? What is the difference between Gideon’s seeking confirmation, and “testing God” in a way that displeases God? Does God mind if we ask for confirmation? When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation?

1. Gideon asked for a sign, I believe as confirmation, since God's voice was new to him and what he was told was unfathomable to Gideon!

2. The difference, in my opinion, is that confirmation is reassurance that we did hear His voice. Testing God, is unbelief and demanding He prove something!

3. No, I don't believe He minds. In fact He did this for me this morning. One of my brothers received Christ last Friday night after a conversation we had following his renouncing the cult he had been in. Sometime Sat or Sun he suffered a massive stroke and sat paralyzed, unable to speak or call for help in a recliner until Monday afternoon! (Three years ago after open heart surgery he died and his then wife wanted to disconnect life support since he'd thrown a blood clot. I prayed and asked the Lord if this was his time to go, and heard "Pat will live and not die, but will declare the wonders and glories of God".) I called, and she relented and left him on life support. In the morning the Lord brought him back to life. During the 3 1/2 months he was in the hospital, he died a second time after aspirating food into his lungs! The Lord brought him back a second time from life support and a tracheotomy. He was then told he would not be able to talk because of the way the trache had to be done. (He must have a voice to declare the wonders and glories of God...and he got his voice back and was back to a normal life on Friday, free from the cult and the abusive wife and painful marriage of 12 years as a new babe in Christ!)

When he was brought into the emergency on Monday  they said he would not survive this stroke and in front of him discussed doing no life saving means. That night I reminded the Lord of what He said about Pat declaring His wonders and glories, and He spoke again that Pat would be healed. It's been a week and through dozens of praying friends, church prayer teams, and family he has shown steady improvement. Last night his Blood pressure shot up again, is paralyzed on his right side, and was not looking good. I faltered ....and in fear forgot everything the Lord had said, when I heard "they've done medically all that can be done, he's going to be moved to a care facility. I cried in despair! I forgot that the Lord said last week, "Fear Not, for I Am with you, Be not dismayed (I WAS paralyzed with fear) for I Am your God. I will strengthen you, I will uphold you and Pat with My Righteous Right Hand!" Isaiah 41:10. 

This morning I said Lord, I'm afraid they will just "warehouse and forget him". I'm far away and can do nothing but pray. Will you reassure me that He's in your hand completely and that I really heard from you!  He led me to Psalm 41 and read "The Lord will protect him and keep him alive; he shall be called Blessed in the land and will not be delivered to the will of his enemies! (Satan!) The LORD will sustain, refresh, and strengthen him on his bed of languishing....You O Lord will turn, change, and transform all his illness. An evil disease, they say, is poured out upon him and cleaves fast to him; and now that he is bedfast, he will not rise again.! (This is what the doctors spoke over him believing he would not live through the night,  in his hearing!) By this I know that You favor (Pat) and delight in him because his enemy does not triumph over him."

I felt no rebuke for asking....only Our Fathers loving arms holding me and comforting me...as He reminded me "I AM SOVEREIGN OVER ALL", and His reassurance that no matter how hopeless this looks, He is going to raise Pat up to newness of life IN HIM! He WILL YET DECLARE THE WONDERS AND GLORIES OF GOD! 

4. Demanding he give "Signs" to prove He is God, I believe would greatly displease Him!

Note: It's been several weeks since I answered this Question:  After the time in the care center, the Lord called Pat home to heaven. We are sad and missing him but rejoicing that the Lord intervened after the heart surgeries, or he'd have died without salvation had his wife removed him from life support, either of the times he died. So now he is in Heaven and we will be reunited one day! Because he left her, our family will be spared the indignity and pain of her cult's funeral, since she is no longer in control of his life. And God did raise Pat up to newness of life IN HIM...however short it was in his time here.

Q1. ((Judges 6:36-38; Psalm 95:7-10) Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief? What is the difference between Gideon's seeking confirmation, and "testing God" in a way that displeases God? Does God mind if we ask for confirmation? When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation?

No in this instance Gideon is asking for a sign because he wants to make sure it is God speaking to him. He wants to make sure God really wants him to do this. Gideon wants confirmation that what he is about to do has approval from God. Gideon is more fearful than anything else here. That is why he tears the idols down at night instead of during the day. Gideon knows what God can do through people and he wants to make sure he has it right.

The difference between Gideon’s seeking and testing is that Gideon is a believer and the ones who tested God were not. They just wanted to God to provide for them in the desert, yet they failed to put their trust in Him. The Israelites and the Pharisees were just mocking God and Jesus. They both were shown many miracles and still failed to believe.

God does not mind if we ask for confirmation if we are not doing it for our own selfish desires. If we do not think of Him as a genie in a bottle and want Him to grant us favors all the time. Instead if we are asking directions on what He wants us to do or which way we should go next.

Go would be upset with us if we asked Him to show us by giving us more possessions or things. If we were constantly asking Him for more than we already have so we could use it on ourselves. Then He would be displeased or upset with us for not putting Him first.

Q1. ((Judges 6:36-38; Psalm 95:7-10) Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief? What is the difference between Gideon's seeking confirmation, and "testing God" in a way that displeases God? Does God mind if we ask for confirmation? When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation?

Not because of unbelief but rather assurance. We’re talking about a man gathering thousands to go to war—a very serious thing whether it be in Gideon’s time or today. Testing God, would be like demanding God do something like the Northern Lights appearing in the desert on demand but what Gideon did was something unobtrusive and just making sure he wasn’t being deceived. Even the second thing Gideon asked. It is written in God’s Word about testing the spirits in 1 John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. God might be upset about asking for a confirmation if it were something like requesting some kind of concession before obedience.

Lesson 5

1 Gideon believed. . H e didn't have enough faith or needed more encouragement to do what the Lord wanted him to do.

2 Gideon should have done what the Lord told him to do the first time. He should have prayed again and listen for what the Lord told him. I think when we have to ask for signs we are testing God. When we do it over and over this displeases God. When we ask the Lord for what we want we need to listen for his answer and not ask for signs.

3 I myself don't ask for signs but I don't think it displeases God it we ask again. After this I think it is very displeases God because if we believe we don't even have to ask the second time

4 I think even if we ask for signs it displeases God we should have enough love and faith to know God will bring us through. I think when asking for a fleece it becomes a substitute for 

God wisdom that comes from bible study and prayer.

God knew Gideon believed, it was Gideon's confidence in himself to hear God's voice.  A person decisions or actions that will affect others must not be taken lightly.  We should always know for sure that God is doing the talking, it could have had severe consequences for Gideon and his men w/o God leading and blessing them.  The difference in conformation from God & testing God, would be like asking for something or telling God to do something.  Testing God is what Satin tried to do to Jesus.  Don't get me wrong, there are times when on the outside we are showing anger at God when bad things happen to good people (children are small people), when God sees the heart with all the pain.  The bible tells us to know for sure God is talking and if needed seek counsel.  If we keep asking for more signs or making excuses that could be a problem, like little children saying "why" or "what for", I think you get my drift.

Q1. ((Judges 6:36-38; Psalm 95:7-10) Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief? I think Gideon was being cautious & had revealed insecurities from the beginning about himself rather than God. in recognition of the battle at hand it was wise of him to be careful & certain. His faith needed strengthening/encouragement. What is the difference between Gideon’s seeking confirmation, and “testing God” in a way that displeases God? perhaps the difference is one that only God would discern b/c it is in our hearts. Unlike moses (ex 4:10-14), Gideon isnt backing out of the responsibility. Does God mind if we ask for confirmation? His loving kindness is pretty terrific & instructions on seeking Him fervently abound in scripture so I doubt He would mind especially when we are open to His plans instead of our own. When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation? The normal routes of selfish gain, pride, power or disbelief God has no use for the prayers of the people who won’t listen to Him.” Proverbs 28:9 MSG

Gideon was unsure and needed confirmation.

Gideon was honestly seeking confirmation from God re: the battle, "testing God" is demanding that God prove Himself--because of their disbelief.

No, He is ok with confirmation.  Most times however, they are confirmations in a small way.

God knows the hearts of those who are seeking to enlarge themselves--coming from unbelief.

Q1. ((Judges 6:36-38; Psalm 95:7-10) Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief? No. He wants to be certain it is God speaking to him.

What is the difference between Gideon’s seeking confirmation, and “testing God” in a way that displeases God? Testing God is disbelieving. It's demanding God to prove himself; to manifest Himself if He really(sarcastically said) is God All Powerful like He says He is. On the other hand, testing God is seeking confirmation that what we have heard or seen is God speaking to us and not ourselves wanting it to be God.

Does God mind if we ask for confirmation? No. God does not mind. So as long as we are sincere in our asking. God weighs the hearts and knows whether we are really just confused and are needing more instruction from Him, or whether we just don't like what He is asking us to do and just want to hear a different answer(probably wanting to do things our own way). I believe this latter action would upset God.

Q1.  (Judges 6:36-38; Psalm 95:7-10) Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief? What is the difference between Gideon's seeking confirmation, and "testing God" in a way that displeases God? Does God mind if we ask for confirmation? When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation?

1. No, he believes, but he wants a confirmation to be sure.

2. The testing of God are attempts by unbelievers to demand things of God, or to manipulate God into proving himself. 

But Gideon is asking for God to do a minor miracle to help him anchor his full faith in the Lord. Gideon wants to believe.

3. It probably is okay for us to ask God for confirmation the few times. I do not recommend demanding a particular confirmation is the best thing to do.  

4. Asking spontaneous tests of God shows selfishness and manifestations of unbelief. Preferably let God confirm his direction to you in any way he wants to.

Q. Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief?

A. I personally think he had some little doubt because if he was very convinced that God was in all the plan, he wouldn't have asked for the signs. I however do not believe he wanted to test God.

Q. What is the difference between Gideon's seeking confirmation, and "testing God" in a way that displeases God?

A.  testing God is a mark of total disbelief as against seeking God's confirmation to eradicate some little doubt. 

Q. Does God mind if we ask for confirmation?

A. I don't think so

Q. When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation?

A. When the intention is to discredit Him and continue in unbelief even if He does the thing we ask to be done

What is the difference between Gideon's seeking confirmation, and "testing God" in a way that displeases God? 
Does God mind if we ask for confirmation? 
When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation?

No, not because of his unbelief, but rather because he wanted confirmation of what he thought God had told him. Gideon wanted to be really sure that he had heard correctly, and that the plan to strike down the Midianites was not an illusion or a wishful thought. He and his men were not used to war, and he must have wondered if he was following God’s call.
Gideon was a believer and was not “testing God” as such, but wanted confirmation about the instructions he had received. However, he had the angel visit him, which was confirmed by the fire consuming his offering, and also God had helped him in forming an army. All of this should have been enough to convince Gideon of the authenticity of God’s message. But still Gideon wanted to be certain that he heard correctly, so he asks for confirmation, and hits upon the idea of the fleece. His situation was a desperate one that had huge implications, but normally I would be very hesitant to question our Lord. 
No, I don’t think God minds if we ask for confirmation. God knows our mind and if it is genuinely based on our trusting Him as our Heavenly Father, I’m sure He will not mind. In this way we are made more aware of our weaknesses and how much more we are to depend on Him and not ourselves. He knows how readily we lean on our own imagined resources and think that we can cope without total reliance on Him. For our own good He allows us to be fully aware of our weaknesses. 
God would be upset if we are asking Him to prove Himself rather than by faith asking for confirmation. 

((Judges 6:36-38; Psalm 95:7-10) Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief? What is the difference between Gideon's seeking confirmation, and "testing God" in a way that displeases God? Does God mind if we ask for confirmation? When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation?  It all depends on the state of my heart. God cannot be fooled by words - He knows my heart.

- No, but Gideon seeking confirmation and make communication with God.

- Gideon  is a believer, he did not testing God.

- Sure. Because God will us learn from our mistake to believe Him.

Gideon sought confirmation because he needed the assurance that it was God who gave the instruction to him. I believe because of his background and his perspective on himself, Gideon wanted to be sure that he was the person God had chosen for the task.   Even Gideon's approach was a demonstration of humility. 

The difference between seeking confirmation and testing God is that the latter seeks for God to prove Himself for who He is.  This is the result of a sinful, unbelieving heart.  Even if God does anything, that heart will not believe God.  It is tantamount to manipulating God, trying to "tie Gods hand behind His back."  However, seeking confirmation is seeking God's assurance in order not to step out of line with God or to put ourselves in a place where we might sin against God.  I believe the difference between Gideon and the Israelites in the wilderness is that Gideon, because of his self-perception, wanted God's assurance.  The Israelites, on the other hand, saw God's miracles so should have trusted God, but became discontent and unbelieving heart tested God.

I don't believe God has an issue with us seek confirmation especially as we mature in Him.  It is when we begin to doubt His love and goodness that God might become upset with us.  Lack of trusting in God's goodness is a sign of unbelief.  As Christian, if we have gone down the road of "testing God,' we need to repent and trust in God's goodness and plenteous mercy. 

Gideon believes that God has spoken to him but wants re-assurance of what God is saying. He is not ' testing ' God but wants to be sure. The difference is one of belief. If one doesn't believe and asks God for a sign, one is testing God. It's a subtle difference. Confirmation is acceptable to God, but not repeated once God has reacted.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. ((Judges 6:36-38; Psalm 95:7-10) Does Gideon ask for a sign because of his unbelief? No, he asked for God to do a minor miracle to help him anchor his full faith in the Lord. He just wanted to confirm that it was God sending him. He wanted to believe. His request was in order to establish his faith so that he might lead God’s people. It was not an unbelieving testing to get God to do miracles or demands for him to meet his selfish needs.

What is the difference between Gideon's seeking confirmation, and "testing God" in a way that displeases God? Seeking confirmation is for help in God’s work while testing God is for personal benefit. Testing of God we see in the Bible are attempts by unbelievers to demand things of God, or to manipulate God into somehow proving himself unless you do this, I won’t believe! Gideon was asking for a miracle to help him anchor his full faith in the Lord. Gideon wanted to believe. This was not for selfish desires needs. He anchored his full faith in God.

Does God mind if we ask for confirmation? God does not mind if we ask for confirmation.

When might God be upset with us for asking for confirmation? When we demand God to meet our selfish needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Gideon is clarifying what He understands from the Lord, that it will be by "his hand."  I think he wants to make sure he understands this correctly, being only a farmer.  I think he has already decided to be obedient, he just wants to make sure it is him, being of the smallest clan.

The danger of putting out fleeces is that people often use them in a decision making process, rather than doing the hard work of entering into God's presence and seeking out the Lord's council during the decision making process.  A quick fix, instantaneous answer method.  Rather than a diligent seeking after God's heart, his word and spending time in prayer.

Gideon seems to already know what God's will is, he just needs confirmation.  He is not using the fleece to find out what God's will is, He already knows that.

Instead of using the fleece to establish faith, he already has faith which is strengthened to do the work.

I think our hearts make all the difference to God.  If we doubt, question or demand from Him, our hearts give us away.  But if our hearts are in an attitude to obey whatever He asks and we seek the Lord for confirmation and strengthening in faith, I don't think the Lord would ever mind.

• 2 weeks later...

No, Gideon dose not ask for a sign because of his unbelief. The difference between Gideon’s seeking confirmation and “testing God” is that he was already a believer and he was going to follow God’s instructions and just wanted to make sure that he was hearing and interpreting correctly. God doesn’t mind if we ask for confirmation because we need to make sure that it was from God and not from on own selfish believes. God might be upset when we ask for a test because we don’t believe in him.

1. a.) No, not because of unbelief, he just wanted to be assured with a confirmation that he was hearing from God.

b.) Gideon's request is in order to establish his faith so that he might lead God's people. Gideon's request is not an unbelieving testing to get God to do miracles or demands     for him to meet Gideon's selfish needs.

c.)It is okay for us to ask God for a confirmation if we are not absolutely sure,. But we are not to test God or command a confirmation, but we should definitely know by the Holy Spirit living inside us.

d.) When we are asking for confirmation in unbelief, demanding God to prove Himself.

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 12:19 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I wouldn’t say his unbelief, I would say he isn’t quite sure that he is the one that will save Israel.  Gideon is just confirming with God that he is the one who will save Israel.  Testing God in a way that displeases him calls to mind God’s first choice Saul to be the first king of Israel 1 Samuel Chapters 10,11,1213,14,15, Samuel anoints Saul to be king of Israel and Judah under the direction of God.  The story of Saul doesn’t end well for him, he is instructed to kill all of the Amalekites the Lord of hosts says to him utterly destroy all that they have, and don’t spare; slay both men and women, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ***.  But Saul didn’t do as God told him he spared the best of the animals to sacrifice to God, and spared the king of the Amalekites Agag.  That made God mad and He was sorry that He chose Saul to be king.  Later on Saul ends up killing himself by falling on his sword.  God doesn’t mind if we ask for confirmation, he knows we need encouragement.  If you keep asking for confirmation that could anger God because you’re questioning His Omniscience.