JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Resisting Temptations to Sin

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think non-Christians try to get us to sin with them for a variety of reasons: because for them it is fun or profitable in some way. Or they see it as something everyone else does. It's their way of life and they want us to join or share with them. They feel they have our support or encouragement and that will reinforce their behaviior. I think we are tempted to join in their sins for some of the same reasons they want us to to join - it's fun, profitable, everybody does it etc. We can resist the temptaion by putting Jesus first in our lives, by learning what is acceptable to God and what is not, through continual prayer, by enduring their ridicule and knowing that we will receive God's reward, not man's.

Non-Christians do not believe or have faith. It is mainly fear. They do not want to sin by themeselves, they need company or an audience. We are tempted to do so because we can not handle the evil things that would be said about us. When in fact we should not care. We can resist the temptation by either staying away from non-christians or simply standfast and be strong.

Q2. (4:3-4) Why do non-Christians try to get you to sin with them. Why are we tempted to do so? How can we resist this temptation?

Non-Christians feel condemned by their sins when they see Christians who do not fall for these sins. So, they try to tempt them to sin, in order to feel they are "as good as those Christians think they are!"

Christians sometimes feel tempted to follow them in order to be "accepted" as a member of their group. Even adults. We talk about the peer power for young people, but it occurs in adults as well, unfortunately. And some people succumb, especially those who did the activity--whether drinking to excess or whatever--for they can still remember what they felt about the activity in years past. Satan loves to tempt us with past sins, or by the friends we go around with. We need to be with such people, but only so we can demonstrate a Christian life. If they succeed, and we go along with them, we shame our Lord and cause these souls to dig their graves of sin even deeper!

We can resist temptations--whatever they may be--by the power of the Holy Spirit. We must, in the power of the Lord, order Satan and his demons to leave. The Holy Spirit will drive him away and save us! If we depend on ourselves, we will be lost! :(

I think we can take this a step further and say that some Christians who claim to have faith but not the deeds also would have you sin with them. I have found many opportunities to witness to people trying to pull me into sinful activities. I am always asked at work to buy raffle tickets or go into pools or join groups buying lottery tickets. When recently asked I decided to use this opportunity. I simply said in a nice way, "I am not buying raffle tickets because I consider it gambling. I have taken a stand against gambling and am praying for people caught up in that struggle. I will, however, give you a small donation, but I don't want any tickets." I know the person that tried to sell the tickets to me was taken back, because she considers herself a Christian. It caused her to think about what she was doing. I also told her my future was in God's hands He would provide for me, not a raffle or lottery. People are really hurting and so immune to sin and what it is doing in their lives, that we need to see this as an opportunity, to remind them of God's love. We must lead by example.

God Bless!

2a. (4:3-4) Why do non-Christians try to get you to sin with them.

2a.) "The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it." (John 1:5) "I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray." (1 John 2:26)

2b. (4:3-4) Why are we tempted to do so?

2b.) "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do....I know nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature."(Romans 7:15-20)

2c. (4:3-4)  How can we resist this temptation?

2c.) "...but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.....the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace.."(Romans 8:5-8)

I think non-Christians want us to join them in sin for a couple of reasons. For one, they don't see it as "sin" (and often reject the idea of sin) and think we're just narrow-minded. In some instances, they want to to us stumble and lose our "holier than thou" appearance. We are often tempted to join them because we want to feel a part of a group. Sometimes,we feel we can witness better if we join them in activities that may be questionable (and sometimes we can have a very powerful witness if we are present with them, but not engaging in certain behaviors). Resisting the temptation requires an understanding of our own hearts and an awareness of our own behavior. We cannot rationalize what we are doing, but need to examine our lives closely. Having a strong Christian fellowship (church, small group, accountability group or similar) helps us because we can have other believers look at our lives and share with us in love.

Q2. (4:3-4) Why do non-Christians try to get you to sin with them. Why are we tempted to do so? How can we resist this temptation?

1. Why do non-Christians try to get you to sin with them? a) They are doing what comes naturally to them, Eph. 2:2,3 fulfilling the lusts of the flesh and mind. It does not and cannot occur to them that there is anything else. That is why its so strange that you're such a dud to them. Actually they may just be trying to include you in their fun. The Bible says even the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel. They do not understand. b)Christians are "...to them an evident token of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that of God." Phil 1:28 We are "...a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish" This is conviction upon them. How can they get it to stop? Railing, mocking, getting the Christian to fall? c) As stated in Eph 2:2 the devil is at work in them and his work will they do. His desire is to destroy the works of God. He hates God's children and will use his own to entice them to sin against God that he might bring accusation against them and bring them into bondage.

2. Why are we tempted to do so? a) We are tempted only by that which the devil can draw upon.Jas 1:14. This is why we are admonished in many places to mortify, put off, put to death, despise, crucify the sin nature. Hold no affinity to it for it is not your friend. We are further told to put on Christ, to walk in the newness of life, to walk step by step in the Spirit and we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. b)We need to have our thinking rearranged and understand the hope of His calling. It is because of the lack of knowledge that God's people wander aimlessly and are destroyed. It is through the ignorance that is in them that they are alienated from the life of God. Eph 4:18. This only comes through a washing of the mind by the word Eph 5:26 Yes we need to have our brains washed! We need to have our minds renewed through which we will be transformed Rom 12:2 Because as we think in our hearts, so we are! c)There is a lot of pressure upon the Christian to conform to this world. We are constantly bombarded with the world's message. The fear of man will also bring a snare upon us if we will let it. Taking a stand for Christ comes with a cost that is sometimes painful to pay. 2 Timothy 3:12 "Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution."

3. How can we resist? a) Jas 1:5 We need to pray for wisdom because first of all we need to recognize temptation when it comes upon us. b)This would necessitate of course that we study the Word of God so we might be able to devide between truth and error Heb 4:12. By it also we are able to prepare ourselves with the armour of God. We cannot make our warfare in our own strength but every thought must be brought into agreement with the Word of God so that we can pull down the arguments of the enemy. We must be aware that it is not flesh and blood that we are battling here.Eph6:12 c) We can resist simply by refusing to cave in to our desires or the pressures upon us Hebrews 12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin. We must "... Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong." 1 Cor 16:3 Resist the devil and fight that good fight. For "... [if] thou faint in the day of adversity, thy strength [is] small." Prov 24:10 Refuse steadfastly to give in and every place upon which the soles of our feet tread is ours. However... "Now the just shall live by faith: but if [any man] draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him." Heb 10:38

Non-Christians try to get us to sin because they are seeking aproval. Satan can use them to influence others to fall. This encourages victory for the Enemy, because he is looking for numbers. Through this influence, Satan is able to reach multitudes. We are tempted because we are seeking acceptance as well. When I see this doublemindedness creeping into my life, I bind the enemy who comes to steel, kill and destroy, and loose the Holy Spirit to intercede on my behalf. We must to always be aware of Satan's work and cast him out of our lives every time we see the appearance of evil. "We must resist the devil and He will flee,"

says our Lord Jesus.

Satan is on his job. Trying to get the Christians to sin. There are weak Christians who let Non Christians talk them in to doing things they are not support to be doing. I do not care how you call it Sin is Sin. Non - Christians do not know who Jesus is. They have never tried Him, because if they did know Him they would get out of SIN. He died for our sins. We that know Him know who He is, and we been washed by the blood of the Lamb.

NONE CHRISTIANS ARE NOT AWARE OF

GODS GRACE NOR THE WAY OF THE LIGHT

SO TO THEM IT BECOMES NATURAL TO BE

INVOLVED IN THE THINGS OF THE WORLD

WE KNOW WHAT THE THINGS OF THE WORLD

ARE, WE ARE NOT NAIVE, BUT WE ALSO KNOW

THAT CHRISTIANS HAVE BEEN SAVED BY GODS

GRACE AND THE MAXIMUM SACRIFICE OF JESUS

ON THE CROSS, THESE THINGS ARE NOT SOMETHING

TO TAKE LIGHT INSTEAD IS SOMETHING TO APPRECIATE

TO VENERATE, TO HONOR AND TO FOLLOW TO THE END.

WE NEED TO REMEMBER THAT GOD HAS GIVEN US A FREE

WILL AND WE MUST TURN OUR WILL AND OUR LIVES OVER

TO HIS CARE. MY WILL IN MY HANDS IS HUMAN AND FINITE

MY WILL IN GODS HANDS IS DIVINE AND INFINITE.

SOMETIMES OUR FAITH NEEDS TO BE TESTED

BUT GOD WILL NEVER GIVE US SOMETHING THAT

WE CANNOT HANDLE, HE BROUGHT ME TO IT

HE WILL SEE ME THROUGH IT.

WE CAN RESIST TEMPTATION BY FINDING REFUGE

IN THE WORD OF GOD.

MAY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU.

Q2. (4:3-4) Why do non-Christians try to get you to sin with them.

The Non-Christian does not understand the concept of sin, and they see nothing wrong with going out and having some fun. They try to get their Christian friends to join them because to them, their way is the only way to have fun.

Why are we tempted to do so?

Everyone wants to be liked, and to have a large circle of friends. We are sometimes tempted to join in their

(4:3-4) Why do non-Christians try to get you to sin with them. Why are we tempted to do so? How can we resist this temptation?

Non-Christians just don't look at life the way Christians do. We as Christians know that there is so much more to life than just partying and doing sinful acts. We can have good, clean fun and serve our Lord at the same time.

But, when we cross that line and join in with the non-Christians in their style of living, then that really hurts our testimony and the cause of Christianity altogether.

I think we are tempted at times to sin because we are not living as closely to Christ as we should. Maybe we feel we are over-burdened with responsibilities in the church, home, community, etc., and no one seems to appreciate all our work. Then, along comes a "friend" who entices us to take part in some things we know are not Christlike, but we are too weak to turn it down. These "friends" make us feel important and temporarily show us a good time.

We can resist this temptation by letting these "friends" know our priorities have changed since becoming a Christian and we want to live a life that is faithful to Christ. If we lose their friendship, then so be it.

We must not have a "holier than thou" attitude with them, but we should do all that we can to show them how Christ has changed our life and how He can change theirs, too, if they will only accept Him as their Lord and Saviour.

:angry: There are two types of non-christians.

1. Those who realise that you are a committed christian and intentionall try to get you to sin.

2. Those who do not know Jesus and who are not aware that it is a sin.

In the first case we have to stand steadfast and softly but firmly reject the offer of the non-christian,

In the second case it is an opportunity for us to witness for Jesus Christ.

Acts 1:8 "You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses

in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria and to the ends of the earth."

3. Sometimes we often fail and commit sin in small things like:

- being discurteous to telemarketer.

- when we have to wait for a long time to get a service representative on phone

- fourway or twoway traffic stop.

- do not giveup our seat for an elderly person in train or bus.

- built in racial discrimination

- not returning the carts to station at super stores.

_ not minding going late to church or a prayer meeting, when you can help it.

"THEY KNOW THAT YOU ARE MINE BY YOUR ACTIONS"

When Non Christians try to get Christians to sin, I wonder how strong the christian has made their views known. I can imagine that the Non Christian would feel better about the sin they are taking part in if the christian goes along with it. It would then make them feel ok about what they are doing. The bible tells us not to cause someone to stumble and myself try to get in those situations. This is not perfectly, but most people know where my husband and I stand and we stand firm. When one tries to be like non christians just to belong then they are with the wrong crowd. Find a church or fellow christians to associate with to be built up. To resist this temptation I would suggest reading the scriptures, fellowship with other believers and go to christian functions. Stand firm in what you believe, know what you believe, and why you believe.

Non-christians might be struggling with a certain sin and feeling bad about it. There are times when misery loves misery. Then there maybe times when they want to prove you aren't who you say you are or claim to be. We have to be careful how we walk before our non-christian friends.

We are tempted to do so because we all like to be a part of the group, maybe do not like having to stand alone. We might be ridiculed if we don't go along. We can be called those christian names you know.

We can resist this type of temptation when we submit to God, and resist satan. He will flee! This is one of his tactics. We have to learn how to recognize his cunning ways.

Fear, jealousy, conviction, ignorance, greed, the influence of the devil... these are all reasons why un-believers work so hard to convince us to sin with them.

We are tempted to do so for a equally long list of reasons. Perhaps it's easier to just give in. Maybe we are afraid to stand up for Christ. Often we are engaged in a spiritual battle unaware - unless we go through life preparing for battle, by drawing close to our Lord, we will be blindsided every time.

Ultimately, our strength must come from God. We must practice turning to Him, everywhere and in every way. If we wait until we are tempted, it is often too late.

1. Mixing in with non-Christians sins gives them the "proof" that you aren't any better than they are.

2. We don't want to be picked on as "holier than thou", or a "goody goody" person and we don't want them to think we are judging their actions.

3. If we live our life in sin, the Bible is quite clear that we will have to give an accounting to God for our actions and we will be judged for those unforgiven sins.

Another reason, or two, that we all are tempted to sin: We are born with a sin nature. We sin by birth and by choice. It is more difficult to quit doing something that we've grown accustomed to doing, than to have never started it in the first place. Therefore, our memory works against us. A little different question would be: How and why would anyone want to quit sinning? I believe the answer is GOD! And HE has wisely introduced enough pain and suffering into the equation to get our attention. Jesus says: I am not willing to lose any ... that The Father has given me. God has not given everyone to Jesus, nor Jesus to everyone. Each of us has to make our own choice; but still Jesus is not willing to lose any! :D How can we resist temptation? I can't, HE can, so let HIM. Quit fighting it. Practise the Presence of GOD.

Non Christians try to get you to sin with them as they feel it will bring you down to their 'level.' We are tempted so as not to be different, to be one of the crowd, etc. The resistance to temptation can be shown by refusing to go with them, by not participating, by being able to speak out that you don't go along with them. I have no difficulty with just not participating or saying "I'm sorry, but I just don't like that 'or I won't be there'. I know many times I have been called a 'goody goody' or eventually not asked to attend their gatherings. I am just not comfortable being in these situations.

They don't want to feel bad or quilty about what they're going to or want to do. We're tempted because it appeals to our fleshly desires. If we focus on Christ and His love for us we can overcome the temptation by remaining obedient to our loving God. We also know that if we sow in the flesh we reap in the flesh. There will be negative consequences to our sinful actions.

For several reasons, non-Christians want us to be sinners also. First, because it allows them to rationalize that being a Christian isn't that great a thing. Second, it gives some people great pleasure to see the failures of others.

We have a built in urge to be accepted by a group. We are, therefore, tempted to join in with the group. If the group are regular sinners, we will most likely sin regularly ourselves.We can help to aviod this situation by associating with others that are trying to please the Father, and live Christlike lives. We must also pray without ceasing for the Holy Spirit to protect us by helping us put on the full armor of God(Eph 6:10-12)

Why do non-Christians try to get you to sin with them?

Many of them don't think they are doing anything wrong so they invite their Chistians friends to take part in their fun. Many of them of really no concept of sin and therefore they think everyone should like what they do.

Why are we tempted to do so?

Christians are tempted to join them because they want to be accept into the group

or they don't want to lose them as a friend. Good old peer pressure it is always there

trying to get us to go along with the crowd . These are just tricks or lies that come from

Satan.

How do we resist temptation?

We resist temptation by putting Jesus first in our lives and we should listen to the Holy Spirit for his leading in these areas and not worried about what our friends think.

If they are a true friend they will accept us like we are.

If a non-Christian can get a Christian to sin with them, the non-Christian won't feel that the Christian is judging them. The non-Christian may not think what they are doing is wrong.

Christians are tempted to do so because the non-Christian may be a friend that the Christian may not want to be estranged from. The Christian may feel pressure to go along so he or she won't be ostracized.

We can resist that sort of temptation by keeping our focus on our real friend, Jesus Christ, the only who really loves us. We need to think of the longer term on how bad we will feel after we sin.