JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Trial and Error

• 2 months later...

Q2. (Hebrews 5:14) Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God’s voice?

Hebrews 5:14 (NIV) But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil. Through constant use through prayer and Bible study and training up through discipleship they learn how to discern what voices are which by trial and error and how to avoid making the same mistake again. 

If mistakes are part of the process, how can this be of God at all?

It is of God because God wants us to discern the voices that aren't His and the only way it can be done is through learning which ones aren't His. I am still learning that myself. 

Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God’s voice?

That is just the process of learning how to hear and know what God is telling us.

We are learning to know that it is God talking and not us imagining something.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:20 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Hebrews 5:14) Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God’s voice? If mistakes are part of the process, how can this be of God at all?

1. I certainly have! Because I had to learn to recognize His voice from "what I wanted to hear" and from our enemy's voice, and the well meaning voices (or not well meaning voices) of others. It has taken time and discernment to know it's Him I'm hearing....and I still double check.

2. The mistakes teach us to discern and to test the voices we hear. That training teaches us to KNOW HIM, and His ways, and to desire to spend time in His Presence where we are transformed! It taught me to shut up about it until I am certain I've heard His voice and then only to glorify Him if sharing with others. It has taught me to "triple check" that I've truly heard from him if I feel led to share something for someone else prophetically. The mistakes taught me humility and how much I have to learn.

One huge mistake was when I was a new baby in Christ and was awakened one night thinking we'd left the kitchen light on, so got up to turn it off and was met by a "beautiful angel of light" standing there. I was stunned by the beauty and assumed it was Jesus! I was told a time frame I'd been longing to hear from the Lord, but had not yet heard, so was gullible to those words. "He disappeared" and I went back to bed elated that I'd heard from God and had a visitation from Him!" It wasn't until the "word" didn't come to pass that I knew I'd been lied to! I was embarrassed because I had shared the experience and what I was told, with others. As I got to know the Lord, I realized that the "angels"  words filled me with "**** of the eyes", stirring up feelings of greed!  I'd grown up in an area dominated by cult members whose church started with a "visitation" from what I now know, was this same angel of light! It has helped me to pray for them and their deception, and especially for family members still bound by the cult's deception.  I thank the Lord for this painful lesson in discerning His voice and learning to listen only to His voice and the peace and security which accompanies it!

Q2. (Hebrews 5:14) Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God's voice? If mistakes are part of the process, how can this be of God at all? 

I believe that we make mistakes in judgement concerning whether it is God or nor because sometimes we are not fully mature or sure who is speaking. As the apostle Paul states Satan masquerades as an angel of light. If we are not in tune with what the Word says we will get side tracked and make mistakes. I know years ago I thought it was the voice of God telling me my former supervisor was dead. Of course, I wanted to believe this since she had done a great injustice to me and I was having trouble forgiving her. Later when I was walking past my old workplace and heard her voice I could not believe my ears and hurried past as fast as I could. It was only when I was at a friend’s church and an evangelist prayed over me that I was released from the oppression the enemy put me under. I had let Satan get the better of me because of my anger and resentment I refused to give to God.

This can be God because only He is perfect and we are not. God allows us to learn from our mistakes. He does not brow beat us and tell us to listen to Him or else. King David made many mistakes in the Old Testament and learned from them. We are all humans and we are bound to make mistakes and think it is God speaking when it is not. Especially if we get tired of waiting for Him to answer and take matters into our own hands.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Hebrews 5:14)

Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God’s voice?

Just like everything in life, you learn thru experience.  You may bump your head a few times before you realize the mistakes you make.  

God allows us to make mistakes so we may learn from them.  

Q2. (Hebrews 5:14) Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God's voice? If mistakes are part of the process, how can this be of God at all?

I think if this were a voice to voice discussion there would be a ton of reasons why the average person is prone to mistakes. Haste—being in a hurry to know you talked to and heard from the most high could be one thing. We live in a society where things not only happen fast but as technology advances we expect results at a faster rate. Not taking the time to verify that it was God’s voice you heard could be another one. This study held a special interest to me because I too have longed to hear God’s voice and one of the things I always promote is listening because we (for the most part) have become a church of doing all the talking and expecting instant results and when it doesn’t happen that way we just move on to the next request. Prayer meetings seem to have become making a list of everybody’s requests and after a few minutes of prayer time the eyeballs search back and forth for the moment everyone is done so we can conclude and move on to the things we have to do. I think listening is just plain uncomfortable for most people. It too, takes practice. I’m no expert on the subject but it is something I have observed. One thing about it though, God is patient with people. He has to be, or I would have disappeared from existence long ago. Most people, unbelievable as it might sound just haven’t been taught that the 10% talking and 90% listening we all talk about is a reality. We talk it like it refers only to everybody else. Problem is, people put God in that little box also and if anything is for sure, it is that we will usually have the last word in. I hope I learn something from what I just said.

It is always part of the learning process.  It needs to be backed up by the Bible.

Our mistakes are lessons God lets us learn in order for us to have a deeper relationship with Him and be able to discern.

Q2. (Hebrews 5:14) Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God’s voice? First of all we tend to want to be our own god so theres that downhill learning curve. The bible is clear that we all stumble, need restoration, rescue & will always fall short of Gods glory. Even as a disciple we have competing voices & influences that serve as interference to what God may or may not be saying. If mistakes are part of the process, how can this be of God at all? God is certainly not intimidated by our limitations & is particularly great & praise worthy in creating beauty from anything or nothing. While He doesnt require a catalyst, He wisely orchestrates life as it is to maximize our participation, His glory & life everlasting.

Through experiences in life, we mature in the physical life and is the same with the spiritual life. We learn from our trials and errors. The results of those errors will better prepare us to recognize God's true voice. We can learn to be more attentive the next time; to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit; to pray and read the bible with discernment; to wait on the Lord and not to act in haste. Being a disciplined Christian is a lifetime process.  God is our Creator. He knows us, inward and outward. For this reason we were given a Helper, a Counselor, because God knew that we would err in our walk with God. Alone we can do nothing. In this learning process, God is drawing us closer to Him until we are totally dependent in Him to the extent that we no longer will follow strange voices but His only.

THOSE Q2. (Hebrews 5:14)

Q. Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God's voice?

A. Because there are other voices that we may mistake them for the voice of God such as those from the world, devil, our desires etc. It takes experience to correctly discern the right voice. This is why we may need to confirm the voice we hear by asking God to confirm to us if what we hear is really from Him.

Q. If mistakes are part of the process, how can this be of God at all?

A. I don't think God wants us to make mistakes. However, He can allow us to learn from our mistakes and lead us to maturity.

Edited by haar

Q2. (Hebrews 5:14) Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God's voice? If mistakes are part of the process, how can this be of God at all? 

1. We learn to discern what is God's voice, and what isn't, by experience. 

2. Mistakes are necessary to the process of learning to recognize God's true voice. Actually, mistakes are a part of maturity.

(Hebrews 5:14) Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God's voice? If mistakes are part of the process, how can this be of God at all?  When I learn something by making a mistake. I do not forget it.  The result didn't come easily

Q2. (Hebrews 5:14) Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God’s voice? If mistakes are part of the process, how can this be of God at all?

Because of many People in the world  of couse many voices similar God's voice too, but we Need many experiences to be better Quality to hear God's voice

2 We first have to study God's word and practice what we read. We  have to be able to discern when we hear the word if it is scripture as in the bible.as we read and study and grow we will be able to understand and grow even greater.

3 if we know the word we will realize  as soon as we do wrong.  All believer should know right from wrong. If not we need to read and mature more  in  God's word.  

Q2. (Hebrews 5:14) 
Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God's voice? 

In today’s fast moving world, we are continually bombarded with news. Much of it is not always true. Combined with our own thoughts and the thoughts of others we need to be able to distinguish all this from the voice of God. This may not be easy, and there is a learning curve involved in which we will bump our heads every now and then. Mistakes are part of growing up. We have to be able to discern truth from untruth if we are to grow from infant believers to mature believers. We must train our conscience, our senses, our mind, and our body to distinguish good from evil. At the same time, we must learn how to tell the difference between a correct use of Scripture and a mistaken one? This is only achieved with perseverance and an honest desire to know God better.
Fortunately, the Lord has left us His inspired Word to help us. In 2 Timothy 3:16-17 we read: “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work”. We should read it, meditate on it, and apply it to our life, because it is our safeguard against false teaching and our source of guidance for how we should live. As we mature in God’s truth we will become more confident in being able to discern God’s voice. But then again only if we belong to Him and have been saved by His grace through faith in the Lord Jesus, will we hear His voice. The bottom line is: the more time we spend intimately with God and His Word, the easier it is to recognize His voice and His leading in our lives. 

We will make mistakes, just as we fell down when learning to walk. It takes practice. And there are many false voices we might hear that are not God speaking to us. These mistakes are because of our programming as we grow up and influences in our lives. We need to be discerning and we will learn sometimes through embarassment, when it is God speaking

Many years ago an old gentleman told me to learn from other peoples mistakes and hopefully you won't suffer from making the same mistakes.  Freewill leaves room for mistakes, we are not perfect and trying to do the right thing (such as listening to God's voice) and making mistakes is not failure: failure is not trying at all.  If we run into a brick wall, we get up and start over.  God knows we are not perfect, He created us to work towards perfection with Him working in us and through us.  My mistakes help me stay close to God, I need him every day.

Q2. (Hebrews 5:14) Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God's voice? Because such mistakes are necessary to the process of learning to recognize God’s true voice. We learn to discern what is God’s voice, and what isn’t by experience. A learning process involves mistakes for experience.

If mistakes are part of the process, how can this be of God at all? Because it helps one to distinguish the good from evil.

• 2 weeks later...

I think being human, being in the world, having an enemy and not perfect, means mistakes will be made in the learning process.
I personally believe in learning from your mistakes.  The Principle: obedience is better than avoiding mistakes.
If I think God is speaking to me, I tend to obey anyway and then know if it was Him or not.  I have learnt by trial and error.  Over time however, as I have matured, I have also learnt to take into account scripture, my conscience, what my spirit says, what I would personally want that would taint it and the wise counsel of good friends who are believers (that themselves hear from God). I have also come to believe that God reveals all things to us by the Holy Spirit and that events and people, will confirm what the Spirit has already told me in my heart, what I have become convinced of by my time in His presence.
Rarely He will give me one word and then confirm it with Words from Scripture.  Journal ling, often helps me to discern the voice of God more clearly.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.) We all make mistakes and we all learn by experience...trial and error, that is how we grow in discerning God's voice.

b.) God loves us and knows we will make mistakes. He wants us to mature and grow and to be able to discern His voice   Does a little child know how to walk as soon as they are born,?  They make mistakes and it is all a part of training and learning.

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 12:20 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Because we all make mistakes, it’s part of human nature.  But we learn by making mistakes and we become wiser at least some of us do.  Sometimes we aren’t sure it’s God’s voice we’re hearing and we just go about our business.  God understands that man is not perfect except Jesus Christ, and it’s a learning process to hear God speak.

• 7 months later...

Q2. (Hebrews 5:14) Why will a person have to make mistakes in the process of learning to discern God’s voice?

Even though we are born from above, the thinking patterns of the old nature has not been completely wiped out. That's why we are told to be transformed by the renewing of our mind, then we'll be able to discern His good and perfect will for us. But since renewing is a process, mistakes are inevitable to discerning God's voice. 

A baby does not become grown up immediately. It is the same way with spiritual maturity. It takes time. Our God is a patient Father, who still embraces us in the process of mistakes we make, knowing that we are weak, not wicked. A weak person is still learning and making mistakes and learning from the mistakes whereas a wicked person may be someone who has closed his heart toward God.