JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Spirit and Messiah

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God promises the Messiah to come up from the stump of Jesse. He promises that he will bear fruit and the Spirit will rest on him. It will be the Spirit of wisdom, understanding, counsel, power, knowledge and fear of the Lord. God promises through the Messiah justice will be brought to the nations. God promises that the Messiah will bring good news to the poor and proclaim freedom to the captives. He promises the Messiah will proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God. He promises the Messiah will comfort all who mourn.

Jesus is the fulfillment of these promises. His life, ministry, death and resurrection all fulfill these promises. And the gift of the Holy Spirit is that one promise that truly helps us receive all these.

On 7/23/2018 at 8:02 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Isaiah 11:1-2; 42:1; 61:1-2) What promises does God make through Isaiah the prophet concerning the Holy Spirit and the Messiah?

Answer: That the Holy Spirit will come upon the promised Messiah, the descendant of David. That He will put His spirit on Him and will bring justice to the nations.

How were these fulfilled?

Answer:  A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; from his roots a Branch will bear fruit. The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him -- the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD." (Isaiah 11:1-2)

Although we read this from a 21st century perspective we must keep in mind what the prophet was saying both to his present day readers and our today present day readers. Isaiah was anointed by the Spirit of God to speak to the people seeking a Messiah and as he spoke the Spirit guided his words to reflect the plan of God. Just think! Isaiah was privileged to say that one day the true Messiah would come to  bring hope to a people languishing in their sin filled world. This Messiah would not just be a man but a man anointed with the Spirit of God but he would come from the line of Jesse. As they read this what glorious hope that would bring to the people who had lost their king and kingdom and although that had happened God's promises were still in force. He promised a Messiah and this is how they would recognize him: He would be wise beyond all understanding and we saw how he confounded the priests even at age 12 in the temple. He would have a spiritual discernment and understanding beyond his years and even the people in Nazareth said, isn't this the carpenter's son - how did he become so wise.We saw it as he answered the fools who came asking Jesus questions such as whose wife in eternity would she be ...Jesus wisely said, you don't know the scriptures. He counseled and offered wisdom to those in need as we see the woman at the well. He would quote the prophets of old before the council and they could not refute him. 

All of these passages in Isaiah must have been such an encouragement to this prophet as he wrote, that although he would never see it happen he could be certain that God is a promise-keeper and a covenant keeping God. 

So the question is this for me and for us: When we read this and then the NT where the Messiah came,  do we equate those promises and see how they were fulfilled? It gives me great hope to know that what God planned in eternity past truly came to be. It means that His Word is true and I can trust Him and it. It stands as a guide to those who come saying I am the Messiah and it gives me a way to discern truth from error, Heb 5:14. I can know that these are the false Messiahs that Jesus warned about who could some seeking to turn us away from the truth. It reminds me to use these as a way to prove Jesus is the promised Messiah when speaking to others about Him. 

What promises does God make through Isaiah the prophet concerning the Holy Spirit and the Messiah?

That the Holy Spirit will come upon the promised Messiah, "A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; from his roots a Branch will bear fruit."

How were these fulfilled? According to His Will; according to His manifestation in active action; According to His FAITHFULLNESS; according to His Spirit drawing and being received. In shorth these promises were fulfilled by God Himself through Christ Jesus (in the capacity of Christ).

Taking a passage of Scripture out of context: 1 Corinthians 2:11-13

Verse  12 (NKJV) Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.

(NLV) We have not received the spirit of the world. God has given us His Holy Spirit that we may know about the things given to us by Him.

What promises does God make through Isaiah the prophet concerning the Holy Spirit and the Messiah? How were these fulfilled?

"he will bring justice to the nations" & " the Spirit of the knowledge and fear of the Lord" & "and the day of vengeance of our God"

Wow! I have never noticed the connection between the filling of the Spirit in Jesus, and the judgement(possibly a dual mention of AD 70 & the Final Judgement)

On 7/24/2018 at 5:02 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Isaiah 11:1-2; 42:1; 61:1-2) What promises does God make through Isaiah the prophet concerning the Holy Spirit and the Messiah? How were these fulfilled?

God promises and prophecise through Isaiah that he will put his 7 Spirit (Spirit of the Lord, spirit of wisdom and understanding, spirit of council and might, spirit of knowledge and fear of the Lord) on the messiah, Jesus Christ.

This was fulfilled in the New Testament when the 7 Spirits of God was manifested and revealed through the life of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

I would like to go back further and interestingly note that the holy spirit in Genesis 1...."And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters," is the same spirit that prophesied through Isaiah and revealed himself in the New Testament through the life of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. 

The holy spirit is the link and the operating agent between the old Testament and new Testament allowing God's will to be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Q3. (Isaiah 11:1-2; 42:1; 61:1-2) What promises does God make through Isaiah the prophet concerning the Holy Spirit and the Messiah? How were these fulfilled?

That the Spirit will rest on Him and that He will have wisdom, understanding, counsel, power and knowledge through the Spirit. That the fear of the Lord will be upon Him. That He will bring justice to the world. He will bring good news to the poor; the broken hearted will be bound, captives will hear that they have been freed, prisoners freed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the day of vengeance and to comfort those who mourn.

All these were fulfilled when Jesus came down to earth. He was filled with wisdom beyond his years and He understood men’s hearts. He knew what they were thinking, and He knew what they really needed. He gave Godly advice to people to help them come to God. He had power because He was God’s Son and all power and authority was His. He was feared by the demons and the devil because they knew who He was. He was feared by the Pharisees because they saw His miracles and knew the people thought he was a prophet.

He brought justice to the world by setting up the true faith and building His kingdom through His followers. That Jew and Gentile would all come to Him and be saved. He was to be a light to them (Matthew Henry Commentary, 2018).

The good news was that man did not need to be saved and go to heaven through works or sacrifices but through Jesus’s death on the cross. That if they accepted this gift they would be saved and not perish. He healed the ones whose hearts were broken by telling them that they could lay their worries and problems on Him and He would take care of them. That He was the Good Shepherd and would lay down His life for them and lead them and give them what they needed. He proclaimed freedom for people who were spiritually, physically, emotionally, and mentally bound and imprisoned. He touched people and healed the sick and cast out demons and freed people from the demon’s bondage. He gave them hope and consolation and liberty. And when he comes back the3 second time he will exact vengeance on the ones who denied Him and turned away from Him. He will punish the evil doers and send Satan and his demons to the pit.

Through Isaiah, God makes the following promises:

·         That descendant of Jesse (David) would be born

·         The Holy Spirit will be upon this descendant

·         The attributes of the Holy Spirit will be

o   Wisdom and understanding,

o   Counsel and power,

o   Knowledge and the fear of the Lord.

·         The Holy Spirit would be upon his chosen servant who will bring justice to the nations

·         The Holy Spirit would be upon an anointed one of the Lord who would

o   Preach good news to the poor

o   Bind up the brokenhearted

o   Proclaim freedom for those in bondage

o   Release from darkness for captives

o   Proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor,

o   The day of vengeance of our God and

o   To comfort all who mourn.

We find the fulfillment of the promises of God through Isaiah in the New Testament.

In Matthew and Luke, the genealogy of Christ resonates with the prophesy of Isaiah 11: 1-2 thus fulfilling what was promised as Jesus was a descendant of David.

In Matthew 3:17 and Mark 1:11 we find the fulfilment of Isaiah’s prophesy when Jesus is Baptized. A voice from heaven is heard echoing the very words in Isaiah.

In Matthew 12:15 we find Jesus preaching and healing just as it had been stated in Isaiah 61:1-2.

God makes clear that the Messiah will descend from Jesse and "from his roots a Branch will bear fruit and God's Spirit will rest on him.. He is to be rich in wisdom, understanding, knowledge and will possess the Spirit of counsel and power and the fear of the Lord.  The Messiah, in human form, but with the gift of God's Spirit, is perfectly equipped to experience temptation in a carnal world without succumbing to it. Through the Spirit, He follows God's perfect plan to the letter and because of this, we are saved by grace. Jesus, overcame the human condition. My question is how do we get there?? What has to be happen for us to be able to follow God's perfect plan for our own lives? Does God give the same measure of the Spirit to all believers in the New Covenant? Are we missing out on God's best because we grieve the Holy Spirit in daily life? Or does He give different measures of Spiritual blessings according to purpose and need? What are we missing for the Spirit to nest fully in us? I think the fear of the Lord is key... in modern culture many people don't know God, much less fear Him. How can you love someone you do  not know? What is a healthy fear of the Lord? I used to be really afraid of God in the Old Testament until I spent time exploring our (the body Of Christ's) Hebrew roots. I no longer think He is angry all the time and I know He loves us. But how do we show reverential Fear? Does anyone have a good definition? Sorry for the Soliloquy

God promised that via the earthly bloodline of Jesus to trace back to Jesse, the father of King David. It was promised that the Spirit of the Lord would rest upon him, that is, the Spirit of

Ø  Wisdom

Ø  Understanding

Ø  Counsel

Ø  Power

Ø  Knowledge

Ø  Fear of the LORD

Although the genealogy of Jesus can be traced back as far as Abraham according to the book of Matthew, the promise made by the prophet Isaiah begins with Jesse and ends with Joseph, who was married to Mary who conceived Jesus via the Holy Spirit. In Matthew 3:16 we see “And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:”

One promise was that the Holy Spirit would indwell in the Messiah who was going to be a descendent of the house of  David.   The Holy Spirit will cause Jesus to bring justice to all.  He was going to be our comforter, redeemer, healer, and counselor.  He will spread the word of God to all.

These were fulfilled by Jesus being born in the form of man and dying on the cross for our redemption.

Q3. (Isaiah 11:1-2; 42:1; 61:1-2) 
What promises does God make through Isaiah the prophet concerning the Holy Spirit and the Messiah? 

Isaiah referred more to the Holy Spirit than any other OT prophet. He predicted that the fullness of the Holy Spirit would rest on the Messiah, our Lord Jesus Christ - the “shoot” that will come up from the “stump of Jesse”. Our Lord will be a tiny shoot from the forgotten stump of Jesse (King David’s father), and that the Spirit of God would rest on this shoot. That is, the Holy Spirit would empower the Messiah, and His work would be characterised by wisdom, understanding, counsel, power, knowledge, and the fear of the LORD. All these attributes were clearly seen in our Lord Jesus during His stay on earth. Together they depict the perfect ruler who will be controlled by the Spirit of God. Remembering that earlier God had promised in 2 Samuel 7:16 that a descendant of David would rule forever. 
These promises were fulfilled by Jesus Himself when at the appropriate time, He revealed His identity to the priests and religious leaders, He did so by reading the prophecy of Isaiah 61 and then claiming to be its fulfillment (Luke 4:18-21). He announced that He was the One who would preach the gospel to the poor, release the captives, and give sight to the blind. He didn’t use the word “Messiah,” nor did He have to. All Israel knew that Isaiah’s words applied to God’s “Anointed One.” Jesus came in the power of the Holy Spirit, He lived in the power of the Holy Spirit, and He died and rose again in the power of the Holy Spirit. He taught us what it means to be fully dependant on the power of the Spirit!

God said "A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse"  meaning that the Messiah will come from the line of Jesse - he will be a direct descendant, which he was via David.

The Messiah will be God's chosen one - God will put His Spirit on Him. The Messiah WAS anointed by God. God's Spirit did come on Him. The Messiah did do what was promised. 

(Isaiah 11:1-2; 42:1; 61:1-2) What promises does God make through Isaiah the prophet concerning the Holy Spirit and the Messiah?

The promise that the Holy Spirit will come upon the Messiah, descendant of David

Jesus was the fulfillment of this prophecy.

God promises to give Jesus wisdom, understanding, the ability to counsel, power, knowledge and the fear of the LORD. Jesus later quotes Isaiah and says that the LORD has anointed Him to bring good news to the poor; to bind up those with broken hearts, to proclaim liberty to the captives, to open the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim both the year of the LORD's favor and the day of vengeance of our God; and to comfort all who mourn. Jesus actually saw himself as the fulfillment of the prophecy.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:02 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him -- 
the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, 
the Spirit of counsel and of power, 
the Spirit of knowledge 
and of the fear of the LORD

A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; 
from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.

Q3. (Isaiah 11:1-2; 42:1; 61:1-2) What promises does God make through Isaiah the prophet concerning the Holy Spirit and the Messiah? How were these fulfilled?

1. The Holy Spirit will come upon the promised Messiah, the descendant of David.

"1  A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; 
from his roots a Branch will bear fruit. 
2  The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him -- 
the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, 
the Spirit of counsel and of power, 
the Spirit of knowledge 
and of the fear of the LORD." (Isaiah 11:1-2)

2. Jesus reads: " The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, 
because the LORD has anointed me 
to bring good news to the poor; 
he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, 
to proclaim liberty to the captives, 
and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; 
 to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor, 
and the day of vengeance of our God; 
to comfort all who mourn." (Isaiah 61:1-2) 

On 7/23/2018 at 1:02 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.Promises:   Isaiah 11:1-2 The royal line of David[a] will be cut off, chopped down like a tree; but from the stump will grow a Shoot—yes, a new Branch* from the old root. And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the Spirit of wisdom, understanding, counsel, and might; the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord.   Isaiah 42:1 My servant, my chosen one, in whom I delight. I have put my Spirit upon him, he will reveal justice to the nations of the world.

b. Fullfillment: Jesus  - Luke 4:18The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,19To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. 20And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

The promise God made was that there will be a shoot from the stomp of Jesse and the spirit of the Lord will rest upon Him (Jesus Christ ). He will have the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the lord.

In the New Testament God sent Jesus to fulfill the prophecy.

The promises God made through Isaiah was that the prophecy would be fulfilled through the lineage of Jesse, referred to as a stem of Jesse and a Branch shall grow out of his roots. The Holy Spirit would rest upon him (The Anointing)  wisdom, understanding, the spirit of power, knowledge and the fear of the LORD . The Messiah.  The prophesy was fulfilled, Jesus Christ who with righteousness would " smite the oppressors of the earth with the rod of his mouth,and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked one". Judgement.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:02 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Isaiah 11:1-2; 42:1; 61:1-2) What promises does God make through Isaiah the prophet concerning the Holy Spirit and the Messiah?

God said clearly in the bible About Holy spirit Comes upon Prophet of Isaiah.

We know that God is king of Glory, He has power of  Holy spirit. He prepared  Holy People for us to tell the way to Salvation.

From Holy spirit to Holy People Story   for next Generations as Children of God.

Prophet Isaiah wrote About God gives Justice, to preach good News to the poor, to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives, release from Darkness for the Prisoners, to proclaim the zear of the Lords favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn.

Through prophecy, Yahweh revealed a time to come when the Holy Spirit would empower His Anointed One to usher in the year of the LORD’s favor. I understand this to parallel the Year of Jubilee decreed by God for His chosen people as a time of restoration and freedom from bondage [Leviticus 25].

Isaiah was one of the prophets who was given this message. He was shown that the Messiah would come through Jesse [the lineage of the Israelites] and would be anointed with the presence of the Spirit to give wisdom, understanding, counsel, strength, knowledge, and a reverent awe of the LORD. By the Spirit of God, Messiah would be Yahweh’s chosen servant who would bring justice to the nations of the earth and deliver the good news of a covenant of peace between God and man through salvation. He would heal mankind’s brokenness, secure liberation from slavery to sin, and open the spiritual prison doors that separate man from God. By the Spirit, Messiah would declare the LORD’s year of favor toward all who respond to Yahweh with mourning over their sin. This “year”, an extended period of God’s patience as He offers mercy, was contrasted with His “day” of vengeance when He will take quick action against all who reject that mercy. Prophecy promises that when Messiah comes to fully manifest the freedom of His people, it will also be the time for the eternal destruction of all His foes [2Thessalonians 1:7-9].

These prophecies given to Isaiah are all fulfilled in Jesus the Christ, the Messiah promised by God. Luke 4:21 records that Jesus made this clear in His declaration that Today this Scripture [Isaiah 61:1-2] has been fulfilled in your hearing. Jesus physically came to earth through Jewish lineage. He was anointed with the Holy Spirit on the day of His baptism. His ministry was to deliver the gospel message of peace between God and man through forgiveness of sin. He secured this peace and liberation from bondage to sin when He became the final sacrificial atonement offering on the cross. His resurrection has guaranteed our hope of deliverance and the ultimate final defeat of all enemies of holy God [including satan!].

1. One promise God made to Isaiah concerning the Messiah is the Holy Spirit would be upon the Messiah whose lineage runs through the generational line of Jesse.

2. Jesus made the proclamation, as recorded in Luke 14:16-21, that He was the fulfillment of prophesy in Isaiah 6:1-2.