JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Core Identity

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22

Inspired by God, Luke approached his investigation of Jesus from a doctor's scientific viewpoint. He determined the truth could only be that it was the power of El Elyon that overshadowed Mary as the Holy Spirit of God came upon her to bring about the conception of Jesus. This baby was not conceived in sin [as David noted for himself and humanity, Psalm 51:5]. This baby was conceived of God through the Spirit and was virgin born. This truth was confirmed to Joseph in the dream he was given to assure him that this pregnancy was brought to reality by the direct action of the Holy Spirit. Jesus could only be called the Son of God, not born of any man. At the baptism of Jesus at the start of His earthly ministry around the age of 30, the Spirit again participated in the confirmation of the truth of Jesus' identity. He came down to earth as a dove to anoint Jesus with power, as the Father from heaven audibly declared His love and pleasure in His Son [Acts 10:38].

In thinking of my identity as a disciple of Jesus and child of God, I am reminded of several things. The Spirit is the Helper that first convicted me of sin when I didn’t yet believe in Jesus [John 16:8;13-15] and convinced me that Jesus is Lord [1Cor.12:3]. He is my guide into all truth who takes all that is of Jesus and declares The Way, Truth, and Life to me [John 14:6]. He walks with me to enable me to follow the pattern and way of Jesus’ life [Galatians 5:16,25]. Spiritual gifts specifically apportioned to me for spiritual service and building up the Body of Christ are manifestations of the Spirit in my life [1Cor. 12:7,11; 14:12]. My identity as a disciple is shaped by the Spirit’s ministry of conviction, truth, and guidance.

Also, the Spirit is the seal of my adoption by the Father. He is the guarantor of my identity as a child of Father and of the inheritance that is being held secure until the day of redemption when I am given possession of it [Ephesians 1:5,13-14; 4:30]. The Spirit is the testimony that I belong to God [Romans 8:16]. The presence of the Spirit within me is my assurance that I have a deep, intimate, reciprocal relationship with the Father. [1John 4:13]. I never realized before how closely my core identity truly is linked with the Holy Spirit!

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus' core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth? How does the Holy Spirit establish your core identity as a disciple of Jesus? 

From the very beginning when the angel Gabriel appeared before Mary and informed her that she would conceive a child, and Mary, having never slept with a man questioned this and according to Luke 1:35 the Holy Ghost would come upon her and that the baby would be called the Son of God and not the son of any man, although and interestingly Jesus often referred to Himself as a son of man.

The Holy Spirit establishes my core identity as a disciple because before I came to terms with God and accepted salvation, the Holy Spirit was not with me, but afterwards I began to experience the power that first got me moving on the right track, and as one who helps me to communicate with God, either through vocal prayer or even via thought. There is much more, too much to tell here and I’m not the best at putting things into words but I have seen power go out in the way of healing for people in different ways.

On 7/23/2018 at 8:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus’ core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth?

Answer: First when the Angel inform Mary that she will bore a son thru the power of the Holy Spirit, when God spoke to Joseph about Mary's pregnancy and again thru the power of the Holy Spirit and when Jesus was being baptized, the Holy Spirit descended on Him in the form of a dove and God spoke saying He is His beloved son whom He is pleased.

How does the Holy Spirit establish your core identity as a disciple of Jesus?

Answer: He establish my core identity as disciple of Jesus by dwelling and living in me the moment I accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour and by being my counselor, guide and conviction each moment of my life.

(Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus’ core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth?

The Holy Spirit is the basis of Jesus identity as the Son of God, in his conception and anointing by the Spirit at baptism . 

My core identity as a disciple of Jesus came when I confessed Jesus as my Lord and Savior.  I believed that he died, was buried and rose again taking on my sins.  At that moment, I was born by the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit actively comes upon him or overshadows and covers him. The Holy Spirit is the Father’s Spirit and it is like the Holy Spirit is the sperm that fertilizes the egg making God the father of Jesus. The Holy Spirit is the other half to the equation of how humans are produced. Holy Spirit (Father) + Mary (Virgin) = Son of God. The fact that Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit is how Jesus’ identity formed. His Father is God himself, making him God’s son.

My new identity is in Christ because he has sent the Holy Spirit to dwell inside of my temple. Jesus is holy because the Holy Spirit was part of him. We have been made holy too because the Holy Spirit is a part of us. The Holy Spirit does not come to live within anyone until they have proclaimed Jesus as their Savior and King.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus’ core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth? How does the Holy Spirit establish your core identity as a disciple of Jesus?

a. Mary - The Holy Ghost overshadowing Mary and telling her that the child being born unto her is the Son of God,   Joseph - The angel of the Lord appearing unto Joseph in a dream  telling him not to fear because the child Mary conceived is of the Holy Ghost.   in Jesus Baptism - The Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus and a voice from heaven said, this is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased.

b. The Witness of the Spirit and that my body is The Temple of the Holy Ghost, Christ in me, the Hope of Glory, Greater is He that is in me, than he that is in the world, I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me, I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless, I live, yet not I, but Christ lives in me and the life that I now live in the flesh, I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus' core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth? How does the Holy Spirit establish your core identity as a disciple of Jesus?

The Holy Spirit comes upon Mary before Jesus was born and covers her. The Holy Spirit has power that comes from God Himself and this same power is seen in Jesus later in His life. Jesus is set apart from before birth as being holy and sacred. Through the Holy Spirit, Jesus has a relationship with God; where He is the Son and God is His father and Mary his mother. When He is baptized the Holy Spirit descended on Him and God spoke to Him in a clear voice saying that Jesus was His Son and that He loved and delighted in Him.

The Holy Spirit establishes my identity as a believer by indwelling me. He is the one who drew me to Jesus and He is the one who helps me understand the scriptures. He is the one who teaches me and helps me remember verses or anything spiritual. He is the one who guides me and tells me of things God wants me to know. I am sealed by the Holy Spirit unto the day that I see Jesus. He is the one who grieves when I sin against God and refuse to repent or when I ignore what He wants God wants me to do. Without the Holy Spirit, I could not live a holy life.

In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus' core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth?

The Holy Spirit (Luke 4:18-19) actively establishes Jesus core identity as He does not walk in carnality as most men, He adhered to the Leading of the Holy Spirit as the Spirit leads.

The angel Gabriel and also the fulfillment of prophecy actively acknowledge/demonstrate Christ core identity as well.   

By faith and faithfulness

On 7/24/2018 at 5:05 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus’ core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth? How does the Holy Spirit establish your core identity as a disciple of Jesus?

The Holy Spirit continues to move through Ezekiel prophesy from the old testament and manifests himself in the gospel of Mathew and Luke establishing Jesus core identity as the son of God. 

The Holy Spirit establishes myself as a disciple of Jesus after being baptised in the spirit.

When Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist in the River Jordan, the Spirit came to him in the form of a dove.  A voice from the heavens proclaimed "This is my Son, in whom I am well pleased,"   This was the voice of God sending the Holy Spirit upon Jesus, his son.  Jesus was blessed by the Holy Spirit as he began his ministry.  

How does the Holy Spirit establish your core identity as a disciple of Jesus

I am filled with the Holy Spirit - the Spirit lives within me guarding me against disasters of the flesh.  Through the spirit and through prayer I van be in contact with God the Father and God the Son.  The Holy Spirit, the third part of the Trinity, can lead me into the presence of God,  It is through the Spirit that I can submit my prayers to God.

The Holy Spirit brings validity to everything in the Scriptures. The Spirit worked in and through Christ, from His conception to His glorious triumphant resurrection. Jesus demonstrated who He was through the Holy Spirit as He did not act alone.

The Holy Spirit lead me to accept Christ as my personal Savior. The Spirit is alive in me and is my guide and comforter. I live by faith while I yield daily to the Holy Spirits authority in my life.

The Spirit establishes Jesus' identity as the Son of God before the Messiah was even born. Luke 1:35 the Spirit will come upon you and the power of the MOst High will overshadow you. Early on, we see that The Holy Spirit packs power and gives that power to those who receive the Spirit.

while the Spirit was within him from birth, Jesus submitted to Baptism in the Spirit, modeling for us the way to receive the Holy Spirit....the Holy Spirit descended on in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: "you are my son , whom I love: with you, I am well pleased." Luke 3:21-22.  This verbal declaration from God establishes Jesus as God's son for all the world to hear and see!

Through our own baptism in the Spirit, we are established as disciples of Jesus and as children of God!!

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus’ core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth?

The Holy Spirit as Son of God as Jesus came to earth, and the Holy Spirit active in establishing as an angle of th Lord  or the  holy spirit descended like a bird.

I know as Christen for the first time the holy spirit came from water in my baptism last many year  ago. And I believe the Holy Spirit active in me.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

When Jesus was conceived as God as his father and Mary as his Mother. 

God's voice when Jesus is baptized and filled with the Holy Spirit.

Primary identity as children of God, comes through being born by the Holy Spirit.

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) 
In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus' core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth? 

Jesus’ virgin birth was brought about by the Holy Spirit. The powerful presence of the Holy Spirit came to rest upon Mary and she was able to bear a child who will be the Son of God. The angel Gabriel makes it very clear to Mary that her conception will be the result of divine, not human, action. She is told that the Holy Spirit will bring about the wonder in Mary’s womb by exerting His divine power (Luke 1:35). An angel of the Lord later confirms this when Joseph is told that Mary’s pregnancy is a miracle of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 1:20).
Jesus was baptised, identifying Himself with sinners though He was not a sinner, this resulted in Him being anointed with the Spirit, and as the Holy Spirit descended on Him, the Father was heard to say: “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased (Luke 3:22). This confirmed Jesus as the Son of God, the Messiah. The anointing of the Holy Spirit empowered Jesus for His ministry, and was necessary because of Jesus’ humanity and also to demonstrate the unity of the Trinity. After His baptism, Jesus began His ministry of teaching and performing miracles.
The moment I put my trust in my Saviour the Lord Jesus Christ, I was indwelt by the Holy Spirit, and I entered into a spiritual union with Christ. This is a permanent union, I became a new creature, old things had passed away and all things had become new, my spiritual life had begun (2 Cor 5:17). I now belonged to Jesus as His disciple. He saved me because of His mercy and grace, and not because of anything that I might have done. God washed me by the power of the Holy Spirit, giving me a new birth and a fresh beginning (Titus 3:5). 

First of all the birth of Jesus was the immaculate conception meaning that it was the union between human flesh and divine union for one reason only to save us from our sins. Second when Jesus was baptized by his cousin John the Baptist it signified the beginning of His ministry by the landing of white dove on His head which was Holy Spirit and His Father spoke to Him; He said that He was well pleased with His son. 
The Holy Spirit seals us for the next world we are to be a part of which is heaven. He causes us to understand the Word of God as we read it and also to repent when we are sinning. 

In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus’ core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth?

The strategy of the Holy Spirit was to inform all the key players fully so that they would understanding what was happening and where it was emanating from.

Here the angel comes with the news to Mary of her pending conception. She cannot comprehend this. The angel in explaining, in Luke 1:35 introduces the role that the Holy Spirit would play in effecting the conception. The power that would cover her would be from the Most High. At that same time Mary is informed of the identity of the child she would carry in her womb… “the Son of God.”

The next person visited is Joseph, whose lineage is of the Royal House of Israel. Joseph has found out that Mary is with child and he is contemplating what move to take. This is when in Matthew 1:20, an angel of the lord appears to Joseph in a dream. He is reminded that he is son of David. He is also informed of who is responsible for the conception – the Holy Spirit. This again emphasis the identity of Jesus.

At his baptism, Luke 3:21-22 Jesus was amongst others who were also being baptized. In the presence of all the people who were present, they witnessed a physical presence of what looked like a dove descending upon Jesus. This was the Holy Spirit which prepared everyone present for the message, “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.” There is no doubt here about the link with the Almighty.

By the process of being born again through repentance as in Joel 2:12 “Even now,” declares the Lord,
    “return to me with all your heart,  with fasting and weeping and mourning.”  We then become a new creation through the Holy Spirit and can effectively be the children (disciples) of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

Jesus’ core identity as the Son of God was revealed first to Mary by an angel then to Joseph in a dream.   The Holy Spirit descending on Jesus in the form of a dove, a symbol of peace and God’s voice proclaiming Jesus as His son at his baptism by John also identified Jesus as God’s son.

The Holy Spirit is God with us guiding us on our journey as his chosen children

Back in Genesis a Redeemer / Messiah was Promised.  In Luke and Matthew we see the fulfillment of that promise.  A Virgin birth was always the first test, so Mary was not so shocked at the concept more likely honored that it was her being chosen, so she gladly received the gift from the Holy Spirit.   Joseph had to put his pride aside and believe as well that the Holy Spirit ( God's blessings) was with them.   When it was time to start His ministry Jesus followed the rules. *( a person wishing to be Rabbi in those days had to be 30 years of age to start );  so it seems on that special day that the Father attended that graduating ceremony for His Son Jesus '  baptism ,  with the Holy Spirit descending and the Father proclaiming  from heaven :  " You are my Son, whom I love I am well pleased ".  It does not get much better than that.   Sadly only those touched  by the Spirit would have heard and understood, otherwise that entire group would have started following Him immediately, then his desert walk would never have been the same. And so it is today , only those with ears to hear and eyes to see truly can call Jesus ( Yeshua )  their LORD. 

No one can say 'JESUS is LORD '  except through the Holy Spirit.  (  1 Corinthians 12:3 )   When Jesus left HE TOLD US TO WAIT for the Comforter , the Holy Spirit. I was walking as a Christian for a while never understanding the HOLY Spirit's role.  One day about three years into my walk i was introduced to understanding HIS  role in my life. Once i invited Him into my life my total understanding of who Jesus really is became crystal clear and so did His WORD.  It is through the constant workings of the Holy Spirit that we can be " sold out to Jesus' on a daily basis.  Calling it just a core seems an understatement to me , His essence is everywhere.   

"Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit."    (  1 Corinthians 12:3 )

Q1. (Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus' core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth? How does the Holy Spirit establish your core identity as a disciple of Jesus?

1. The angel Gabriel told Mary: "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, 
and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. 
So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God." (Luke 1:35)

The child will be holy, Greek hagios, "dedicated to God, holy, sacred."[10]

Jesus' identity is also confirmed by God's voice when Jesus is baptized and filled with the Holy Spirit. God said, voice came from heaven: 'You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.'" (Luke 3:21-22).

2. Our primary identity as children of God, comes through being born by the Holy Spirit. 

From Luke 1:35 and Matt 1:20, I see that the Holy Spirit Himself was the fertilizing power responsible for the conception of the holy Son of God, Jesus Christ, in the womb of Mary. Anyone who merely sees Jesus as Joseph's son is in great error about the true identity of Christ. I think this fact may have been the main cause of the gross unbelief that plagued majority of the Jews at the time (John 6:42).

As disciples of Jesus, we have received 'power' to become sons of God since we received and believed in Jesus; making us no longer born of the will of flesh and blood, but of God (John 1:12-13). And this is accomplished again by the Holy Spirit, who is the Spirit of Christ, sent of God into our hearts crying "Abba Father" (Gal 4:6).

On 9/16/2018 at 11:21 AM, blezed said:

(Luke 1:35; Matthew 1:20; Luke 3:21-22) In what ways is the Holy Spirit active in establishing Jesus’ core identity as Son of God as Jesus came to earth?

The Holy Spirit is the basis of Jesus identity as the Son of God, in his conception and anointing by the Spirit at baptism . 

My core identity as a disciple of Jesus came when I confessed Jesus as my Lord and Savior.  I believed that he died, was buried and rose again taking on my sins.  At that moment, I was born by the Holy Spirit.

I like this - "My core identity as a disciple of Jesus came when I confessed Jesus as my Lord and Savior.  I believed that he died, was buried and rose again taking on my sins.  At that moment, I was born by the Holy Spirit."

On 7/23/2018 at 12:05 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

When the angel Gabriel informs Mary that the Holy Ghost will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you.  That Holy thing shall be called the Son of God.  When Jesus was being Baptized by John the Baptist, the Holy Ghost in the shape of a dove was upon Him and God spoke and said you are my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.  The Holy Ghost is a great and powerful ally when we are battling sin.  The Holy Ghost leads us and keeps us safe from evil.  When Jesus Christ was tempted by the devil, He was full of the Holy Ghost.  Our Lord Jesus Christ had to be full of the Holy Ghost to rebuke Satan and the great temptations he offered Jesus.  After Jesus Christ had been tempted by Satan, angels came and ministered to Him because it probably took a lot out of Him.  The devil is by no means powerless, that’s a trick he’s very smart and cunning.  He knows what’s in man and the desires of people, for don’t forget that one third of the angels followed Satan and are now demons.