JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Send the Spirit

• 1 month later...

Who sends the Holy Spirit? The Father or Jesus? Does it matter?

In the Book of Beginnings:

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness

Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us,

Being 3 in 1, my simple answer would be The Lord.

The Father or Jesus?

In my opinion, be it the Holy Spirit being sent by The Father or Jesus kinda depends on purpose/function and the intent of His will regarding the occasion the Holy Spirit is being sent. 

Does it matter?

It could be said it matters to God and if it matters to God it should matter to us. We are to adhere to the Spirits leading(s)!

The 3 Persons of the Trinity always act together in unity of purpose and plan, although in differing roles. I think when Christ atoned our sins in heaven, He essentially represented to the Father “I have completed what is necessary to dispatch the Spirit to live within Our people of faith. In agreement with Our promise, please send Him now”.

Jesus was the first Helper/Advocate [based on John 14:16]. He dwelt with the people, but had to leave us in order to fulfill His mission of redemption. His physical presence on earth could not provide the widespread outpouring of power into individuals throughout the ages that was needed for us to be saved and righteously live out our faith [ref. John 14:7-14]. Christ the Servant [Isaiah 42:1] is now seated next to the Father, still under His self-imposed limitations on His divine attributes. The Spirit is the second Helper/Advocate sent to dwell within believers and be with us forever. The Spirit proceeds/comes forth from the presence of the Father [John 15:26]. The Father gives the final word on timing and execution of the unified plan according His will [ref. Zechariah 14:7; Mark 13:32]. Since they all are acting together as One, it doesn’t matter whether we say the Spirit was sent by the Father or by Jesus.

Who sends the Holy Spirit?

Jesus promises to send the Holy Spirit to believers after he goes to be with the Father. 

The Father or Jesus? Does it matter?

It does not matter as the Father and Jesus works closely together. 

To me I have to say that it depends on the purpose for what it being sent. Sometimes it will be the Lord and sometimes it will be Jesus. It does matter because when we are His disciples we must do His will at all times. 

Who sends the Holy Spirit?

God the Father sends the Holy Spirit. This has been consistent in the scripture including the Old Testament.

The Father or Jesus?

The scripture below confirms that the Father sends the Holy Spirit

But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, John 14:26

Does it matter?

It does not matter because Jesus is in the Father and the Father is in Him. There is unison. No conflict. The scripture below illustrates the relationship of Jesus and God the Father.

Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. John 14:10

On 7/23/2018 at 1:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. Who sends the Holy Spirit? The Father or Jesus? Does it matter?

a & b. John 14:16-17  And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.  3:16 16John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

c. It does not matter because  Father, Son and the Holy Ghost are the three in one, in unity and all agree and work together.

According to John 14:16-17 and 26, it is the Father who sends the Holy Spirit. Is it important? Yes, and I say this because Jesus relies on His Father just as much as He does the Spirit, and though I’m not really certain with this answer and might have to modify it in the future as I learn more.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The Father send's the Holy Spirit through Jesus. Yes it does matter, we need Jesus to receive the Holy Spirit through God.

I believe it is the Father who sends the spirit when we are born again.   I believe this is when our spirit is born and the Father sends his Spirit to indwell us.  

Matthew 3:11  "I baptize with water, for repentance. But after me will  come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. 

I do believe the Holy Spirit gives gifts to God's people to help them and for the Church.  God does seem to use many ways and means to do his work.  I find it fascinating and awesome that God loves us so much that he sent his Son to die for us, and blesses us with his word!!!

To me it does not matter who does what.  What matters to me is asking Jesus into my heart and life,, confessing my sin and receiving God's forgiveness. Salvation is what matters most!!  Life and Death depend on what you choose. 

God our heavenly Father is the one who sends the Holy Spirit. Speaking of it mattering, everything is done according to Gods perfect will....and it does matter as their does seem to be some subordination within the Trinity. Each person of the Trinity has a purpose and carries out their purpose and function perfectly. 

Q4. Who sends the Holy Spirit? 
The Father or Jesus? 
Does it matter?

The Trinity is One God existing in three Persons – the Father is God, Jesus is God, and the Holy Spirit is God. However, each member of the Trinity, although coeternal and coequal, have different tasks making them subordinate within the Trinity – the Holy Spirit is subordinate to the Father and the Son, and the Son is subordinate to the Father. For example, in our salvation all 3 are involved. The Father chose us (Eph 1:4), the Son died for us (Rom 5:6-10), and the Holy Spirit sets us apart for God’s service (2 Th 2:13). In John 14:26 we read that the Holy Spirit is sent by the Father and in the name of the Son. In John 15:26 we read that it is Jesus who sends the Spirit from the Father. Just as we are taught that Jesus was sent by the Father (John 6:29; 8:29, 42), we are taught that the Holy Spirit in turn is sent by Jesus. This subordination of the Holy Spirit can be clearly seen in Romans 8:9: “You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ”. Here are two names for the Spirit, “the Spirit of God” and “the Spirit of Christ”. We are also taught that the work of the Holy Spirit is to glorify Christ (John 16:14), and similarly Jesus sought not His glory but the glory of the Father. To me I don’t think it matters who sends the Holy Spirit. They all work in unison, both the Father and the Son are responsible for sending the Holy Spirit. 

Interestingly, I came across a controversy relating to this question of “Who sends the Holy Spirit”, which resulted in a permanent split between the Eastern and Western churches in 1054. (Moody Handbook of Theology). 

I believe that the Father sends the Holy Spirit and Jesus is the one who requests that God send Him down. The Father and Jesus work together and do everything together. By the wording, we see that Jesus asks for the Spirit. The Father is the one who sends the Spirit and He lets the Spirit, land upon Jesus when He is baptized. Jesus asks and then His request is answered. No, it does not matter since they are one and agree.

Q4. Who sends the Holy Spirit?    The Father or Jesus?

Discipline  is the Key in the Kingdom.  God the Father, Jesus ( Yeshua ) the Son  and the Holy Spirit act as one and they act in a set order.  Jesus waits upon the Father, and intercedes for Us . I believe this is where the decision is made as to whom is to be Blessed with the Holy Spirit.  Jesus says that those whom the Father has given Him can  not be taken from Him ( John 6:39;  10:29 ), with this it would seem that it is God the Father who sends the Holy Spirit to those that Jesus requests. 

Does it matter ( who sends the Holy Spirit ) ?

In this context , with discipline and order in mind, i would say it is the Father who gives the Command to send the Holy Spirit , to those agreed upon.  Just as a Lieutenant hears the needs of his soldiers He must also request from His General for the major supplies needed , then he administers the request.   ( discipline  and order ! )    

* Note : A good general, that knows his staff, will also give them permission to make major decisions on their own.                                                                                                                 Jesus may have Grace ( in this sense ) to send the Holy Spirit to whom He wills yet it is still under the Father's authority.                                                                                     

* * ( Submission to 'our' authority would also be a subtle lesson for us ( as disciples ) to learn from this example.   Wait upon the LORD for His peace through His Spirit before we act on anything , amen. )

This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day.
My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand.

1.The scripture support that, The Father sends the Holy spirit. (John 14:26; john 1:33;)

2.The Father or Jesus? I feel that Both Jesus and the Father are involved when we note the following scriptures, John 15:26 "But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me. John 16:7 (NKJV)
Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.”

3. Does it Matter? I really don’t think it matter because the scripture t us , “I and My Father are one." John 10:30

On 7/23/2018 at 12:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Both can send the Holy Ghost because of the unity of the Holy Trinity.  God sent the Holy Ghost to Jesus Christ when He was on earth, for times He would really need it, like when the devil tempted Jesus.  The Bible says Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost was led into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.  Jesus promised His disciples that He would not leave them comfort less He would send the comforter the Holy Ghost to them.  I don’t think it matters if God or Jesus sends the Holy Ghost to you, because the Holy Ghost does not change, nor does God or Jesus for they are Holy and there is no sin in anywhere  in the Holy Trinity.

On 7/23/2018 at 12:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The Holy Spirit comes from the Ascended Christ as he is seated with the the Father Yahweh .In Gospel the Promise is that Messiah will Baptize with Holy Spirit.

In tune with the verses,I and my Father are One ,The authority on Holy Spirit originates and stays with the Omnipotent One .

We benefit form looking into the importance if it matters  who sends the Holy Spirit to be taught that the trinity is an awe inspiring  Majestic Entity .We  are then enlightened to understand how Awesome is our God ,His Plans for mankind and His Blessings for us .Thus His  Promises are Ever  Fruitful,Never Void ,

Power from the Holy Spirit is not limited to strength beyond the ordinary. That power also involves courage, boldness, confidence, insight, ability, and authority. The disciples needed all these gifts to fulfill their mission. If we believe in Jesus Christ as your Savior, we will experience the power of the Holy Spirit in your lives.

Sending the Spirit in John's Gospel

Q4. Who sends the Holy Spirit?

This promise of the Holy Spirit in the disciples introduces a final theme: Jesus will pass on the Holy Spirit to believers after he goes to be with the Father.

Jesus will baptize his followers with the Holy Spirit -- that is, immerse them in the Spirit. But in doing so he works closely with the Father.

John was the first to reveal this baptism. First, John the Baptist tells us that the Messiah will baptize with the Holy Spirit. This promise is contained in all four Gospels.

"I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire." (Matthew 3:11).

"I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." (Mark 1:8).

"He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire." (Luke 3:16).

"The one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit." (John 1:33).

Late in his ministry, Jesus specified that this baptism with the Spirit would occur in Jerusalem shortly after his resurrection.

"I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high." (Luke 24:49)

"On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: 'Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.'" (Acts 1:4-5)

"You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." (Acts 1:8)

a) The Father or Jesus?

Ans. Q 4a: Both Jesus Christ and the Father will send the Holy Spirit.
They agree in everything they do. (Let us make men in our image).

The Father is involved, but Jesus is involved too -- "I will ask the Father" (John 14:16), "in my name" (John 14:26), "I will send you from the Father" (John 15:26). You get the idea that Jesus is using his words carefully here

Here, however, I want you to see that Jesus promises to send the Spirit. In Luke, Jesus says: "If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" (Luke 11:13).

" 38 'Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.' 39 By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified." (John 7:38-39).

"And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever -- the Spirit of truth." (John 14:16-17a).

"The Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." (John 14:26).

"When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me." (John 15:26).

Finally in the upper room after Jesus' resurrection, we read:
"And with that he breathed on them and said, 'Receive the Holy Spirit.'" (John 20:22).

b) Does it matter?

Ans. Q 4b: Yes certainly. It matters who sends us the Holy Spirit. It has to be the Father through Jesus Christ. So that we can question those who don't know Him but performing miracles.