JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Spirit Testifies

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To “testify” is to affirm what you know through what you’ve seen, heard, or experienced. The Holy Spirit affirms truth, and Jesus is Truth. Everything that Jesus taught came from the Father, and the Spirit confirms all that Jesus said as true.

The apostles were first-hand eyewitnesses to the things Jesus did and taught.  However, we are witnesses to the things He does in our own lives and the things He teaches us through the Spirit.  I can give personal testimony to the fact that He is a real presence in my life and my relationship with Him has transformed my life.  I am still so very imperfect but definitely changed, with entirely different perspectives, motives, desires, direction in ways that aren’t natural to human nature.  I know that my turning point of faith was a specific time when I came “face-to-face” with the portrait of Him in the Scriptures, seeing who He really is and what He has really done for meI have experienced His power and wisdom, been held steady by His peace and comfort, encouraged by His hope and joy.  Jesus is exactly who He said He is: The Lord who died for my sins as my Savior and was raised from death to defeat the eternal penalty for those sins as my Redeemer.  And I am exactly who He says I am: a treasured and beloved child of the Father, who has the secure hope of heaven and union with Christ for all eternity, and is sealed to that promise by the Spirit living within me.  "So help me God!"

Q2. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to "testify"?
To testify means you explaining what you have seen or heard about a specific person or event.

In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus?

The Spirit presents Christ's case for him before the believers and the world.[33]

Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus?
No

Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses?
Yes

On 7/23/2018 at 1:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to “testify”? In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus? Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses?

a. To tell and witness what we believe.

b. The Holy Spirit testifies about Jesus by reminding us of the Word of God and bringing truth to life in us by giving us revelation, wisdom and revealing Jesus to us.

c. Yes I know that I know that Christ came into my life when I surrendered to Him.  I received the witness of the Spirit and that my life changed.  I am a new creation in Christ Jesus.  God is my Father and the Holy Spirit my Helper.

d. The Apostles had Jesus in the flesh to lead and guide them on earth and that would make them first-hand witnesses,  and later Jesus sent them another helper, the Holy Spirit, after His Ascension. I was not around when Jesus was in the flesh,  but He made salvation available to all who would receive Him and gives us His Holy Spirit to teach, lead and guide us.  So I guess that would make us first-hand witnesses also because He lives in us and you can't get any closer than that and the Holy Spirit reveals Jesus to us, His wonder and His love and of the ongoing treasure He is.

It means to talk about the things God has done for us and proclaim them to the world.
He proclaims the life, death, and resurrection of our Lord as well as any teachings of the Lord.

Yes I  can because of Him I am serving him in a ministry position and I am bringing people to Him.

The Apostles were the ones who were with Him 24/7 and were able to witness miracles and see Jesus teaching the multitudes as well.  They were there when Jesus was crucified and rose from the dead.

What does it mean to "testify"?

give evidence as a witness; to declare/pronounce; to confirm or attest something on the basis of personal knowledge or belief, bear witness, be a witness, offer testimony

Isaiah 59:12 -  For our transgressions are multiplied before thee, and our sins testify against us: for our transgressions are with us; and as for our iniquities, we know them;

John 3:11 -  Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.

Revelation 22:16 -  I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Yes, when I (we) live out the Word of God adhering to the Holy Spirit I (we) testify of Christ’s life, His teaching, His death, His burial and His resurrection.

Even though we are not eyewitnesses of the historical Jesus, we too must bear witness of what Jesus has done in our lives. The personal knowledge I have of Jesus is via the Holy Spirit; the Holy Spirit has shown me example after example of the historical Jesus overcoming. In turn when I yield and abide I too overcome. 

The apostles were first-hand witnesses; however there were others during the ministerial years Christ graced the earth. I’d like to say the apostles, the Mary’s, Martha, Lazarus, etc..; and others were intimate witnesses (those at the Lord’s Supper, the Upper Room, etc..). There were other witnesses that were not intimate but yet witnesses the 70 disciples, Zacchaeus, John the Baptizer, the Samaritan Woman at the well, several Samaritans, etc.…

Q2. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to "testify"? In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus? Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses? 

Testify means to offer testimony, or evidence in support of someone or something based on personal knowledge or something one has personally witnessed. The Spirit testifies about Jesus in that He tells us about Jesus and helps us to understand things which Jesus taught while He was here on Earth. Personally, I can testify from personal knowledge about Jesus by telling other people things that Jesus has done for me, even though I have never physically saw Him or heard His voice. The apostles were first-hand witnesses because both in the physical sense because they actually lived with Him and talked & listened to Him, as well as receiving the Holy Spirit.

Q2. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to “testify”? In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus? Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses?

To tell of something or someone you know to be the truth.

The Spirit tells the world the Truth, the Life and the Way.

Yes, Jesus Is Lord, my Hope my ever present help in trouble.

Yes they were the first because Jesus breathed the Holy Spirit on them, it wasn't till after Jesus's resurrection that they received. But they saw first hand living with Jesus the spirit within.

(John 15:26-27) What does it mean to “testify”?

To confirm something on the basis of personal knowledge.

The Holy Spirit teaches you what to say.

Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus? Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses?

Yes, we were not eyewitnesses but we must bare witness to what Jesus has done in our life.  The apostles were the only first-hand witnesses.

Q2. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to “testify”?

To Testify is to share what an individual knows as being an eye-witness , with first hand knowledge of a particular situation .

Through the Gifts of Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding the Holy Spirit Today testifies, to those willing to listen, about the Truth of Jesus Christ.

Through reading the Holy scriptures the initial picture of Jesus was introduced to me but after receiving the Holy Spirit the truth of Jesus came into my life and now my walk is a witness of how Jesus has changed me , that's something that people can see and when i share about it that Joy is personal. 

The apostles and the 5 thousand that were fed and many others were first hand witnesses. The lady with the issue of blood was most definitely a witness too and willingly testified about Jesus.  * I also believe Jesus has shown Himself to many others during these two thousand years, just like Paul at Damascus, they also can be called first hand witnesses. 

The Holy Spirit is our comforter, guide, helper and He reveals the truth. The Holy Spirit validates everything spoken and done by God the Father and Jesus. The Holy Spirit being a part of the Trinity, works within us for Gods perfect will to be done on earth.

To "testify" means to provide evidence for someone or something, or to make an assertion offering first-hand authentication of a fact. The Holy Spirit testifies about Jesus, by making known or revealing the truth about the Son of God to the believer. My testimony, from personal knowledge about Jesus only makes sense if it is corroborated or authenticated by Holy Spirit. So we could say that any present day disciple of Jesus can testify in the power of the Holy Ghost, and his/her testimony would be as substantial as that of the 'first-hand-witness' disciple.

To testify is to talk about some first- hand, personal experience, something you lived through, saw.

The Spirit testifies about Jesus by reminding Jesus’ disciples what He taught them while He was with them.  They were to continue the work they had started knowing that He was with them, not in body, but in their hearts through the Holy Spirit.  He would continue to guide them, provide for them, protect them, comfort them.

Yes, once one has committed oneself to the Lord and Savior, One can testify about one’s personal knowledge of Jesus. 

No, the apostles were not the only first-hand witnesses.  Jesus had many devout followers.  He performed many miracles and the recipients of these can also testify about the love, humility and power of Jesus.

Q2. (John 15:26-27) 

To testify is to tell others about the truth, our relationship, and our experiences with the Heavenly Father, the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. We are to be bold with the truth of the gospel message, specifically about our fellowship and union with Jesus. 
The Spirit reveals the truth about Jesus. His presence in us helps us to understand and interpret God’s Word. He teaches us the truth about who Jesus is, His deity and incarnation, His being the Messiah, His suffering and death, His resurrection and ascension, His exaltation at the right hand of God, and His role as the judge of all. He gives glory to Jesus in all things (John 16:14).
In order to have fellowship with Jesus we have to obey Him. Jesus said if you love me you will obey me (John 14:23). He also said that to obey is to testify to the reality of our Heavenly Father. I’m ashamed to say that in my early Christian life I was afraid to mention Jesus’ name. I think it was mainly because of my limited knowledge and the fear that I would be asked questions about my faith that I could not answer. Today it’s different! I will stand up for Jesus, knowing that the power of the Holy Spirit is always available to me. I now rely on the Spirit to give me courage to not be ashamed to testify about my personal faith in Jesus. The Scriptures are vital in the process by which the Spirit gives and strengthens our faith. I must say there is so much hostility today in our lost world towards Jesus. As an example, I see it in nearly every film where the name of Jesus is used in vain. Paul was an excellent example of the way an apostles proclaimed the truth. God Himself gave him the right to testify – allowing him to speak with authority.

Q2. (John 15:26-27) What does it mean to "testify"? In what way does the Spirit testify about Jesus? Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus? Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses?

1. To make a statement based on personal knowledge in support of a fact. Bear witness to what you have seen or heard. 

2. The Spirit represents Jesus and makes Jesus' teaching clear. The Spirit will remind us of what Jesus taught and how he lived according to the father’s word.  

3. Yes!

4. I believe they were because they walked and talked with as he taught them. He lead, guided, and became a witness of how to live holy while in the flesh.

"Testify" means to bear witness of, to be reminded of. The Spirit testify about Jesus by reminding the disciples about what Jesus has taught them and also enabling the disciples to bear witness of what they know about Jesus. That is why after Peter and the rest of the disciples had the Pentecost experience of being baptized by the Holy Spirit, they were bold to testify for Jesus before the religious leaders, so much so that they acknowledged that these simple folks were with Jesus. (Acts 4:13).

Yes, I can testify from my personal knowledge and experience about Jesus. I do not think only the apostle were the only first-hand witnesses because I also experience Jesus through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

To testify means to affirm or attest to something based on your own personal knowledge or belief. The Spirit testifies about Jesus by presenting Christ to the disciples and the world. He reminds them of who Jesus and what He did. He reminds them of the words He said to them and helps them understand or interpret the message to others. I can testify about Jesus because He has saved me and I can tell others what He has done for me in my life. The apostles were first-hand witnesses along with 500 others who saw Jesus ascend to the Father, but we are all called to be witnesses.

a. The word “testify” means to witness of what you have experience

b. The Spirit testify about Jesus by reminding us what Jesus taught (John: 14:26b)

c. Yes, my personal knowledge about Jesus is from the Word of God and the Holy Spirit.

d. No, the apostles were not the only first-hand witnesses, there were other disciples, women and children  pulse a multitude of other people. Although I were not an eye  wittiness, I have a responsibility to witness to other on how He bought salvation into my life. 

To testify is to bear witness, to be a witness, to give testimony, to confirm, to have personal knowledge which you can stand up and defend

One of the ways the Spirit testifies about Jesus is by being on hand to remind or crystalize what Jesus had taught the disciples.

The other way is where the Spirit presents Jesus Christ’s case for him before the believers and nonbelievers.

In (Luke 12:11b -12) we are presented with a third way where it is stated that, “for the Holy Spirit will teach you at the time what you should say.” This scenario would occur when the disciples or believers were arraigned before the courts on various charges about their faith.

Through being a convert of the faith I am able (from formal teaching I have received and from reading the bible) to stand up and testify about Christ to my fellow men. In our case here we used to have ancestral worship and we have people who still do this. I can testify that Christ is qualified to be my intercessor as he was without blemish. My ancestor could have been a murderer or some evil doer and I can convince people that such an intercessor would never be able to stand before God the creator to intercede for me. Besides, the scriptures teach us that Christ rose from the dead, and none of my fore bearers have this qualification,

The apostles were indeed first-hand witnesses but in (Luke 1:2-4)  we find the author confirming that there were first-hand witnesses but he, Luke carefully investigated everything before writing the account that is the Gospel of St Luke, In Acts 1:8 we read of Jesus’s promise to his disciples that they would receive power of the Holy Spirit  and that they would be his witnesses throughout the whole world. It is obvious that the witnessing would be handed down to generations of believers if the entire world was to be covered. In Romans 1:5 – 6 Paul is explaining how through Jesus and for Jesus’s name he received grace and apostleship to call (witness) people among all the Gentiles…And you also are among those who are called to belong to Jesus Christ. The witnessing is therefore privy to the faithfully who have received the Holy Spirit.

On 7/23/2018 at 8:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Answer: To testify means to witness or to confirm or to attest something on the basis of personal knowledge and belief.

Answer: The Spirit testifies about Jesus by confirming or attesting and reminding the disciples what Jesus has told when He is still with them.

Answer: Yes, by the grace of God I can testify from my personal knowledge about the Lord Jesus.

Answer: I believed that every believer who accepted the Lord Jesus and has an indwelling of the Holy Spirit are all first hand witnesses.

To testify is to bear witness, to be a witness, to give testimony, to confirm, to have personal knowledge which you can stand up and defend

Jesus offers hope. The Holy Spirit gives strength to endure the unreasonable hatred and evil in our world and the hostility many have toward Christ. This is especially comforting for those facing persecution.

Jesus uses two names for the Holy Spirit—”Counselor” and “Spirit of truth.” The word Counselor conveys the helping, encouraging, and strengthening work of the Spirit. Spirit of truth points to the teaching, illuminating, and reminding work of the Spirit. The Holy Spirit ministers to both the head and the heart, and both dimensions are important.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

- I think tertify is something Special happend in my life Maybe good or bad and

someone Special help me to find the way.

- It is the Experience with Jesus because of believe,love and hope, to make somebody happy 

to tell the People.

Can you testify from personal knowledge about Jesus? Or were the apostles the only first-hand witnesses?

- Yes I can testify from my personal Knowledge About Jesus in my life as my experience of Him.

- Because of that I say no,not only the apostles the first-Hand witnesses but John 15,27 and Mark12,30 said clearly so I believe my experience must be the first-Hand witness.

To testify means to tell. the Spirit testified to Jesus being the son of God. the Apostles were actual witness to Jesus and his work as he lived walked and taught among them while on earth.

We have chosen to believe and accept their witness as truth and that Jesus is the son of God.  When we confess this or testify to this, we are saved and we are to be witnesses to how He works in our lives.  When we live our lives according to God's purpose and walk in his word and obey his commandments, The Holy Spirit lives within us to teach us and strengthen us in our walk.  We are to testify of God's goodness in our lives so that others will believe and be saved.