JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Person or Power?

Q3. (John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13a) Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person? What kinds of functions that we attribute to persons does the Holy Spirit do? Why is it so easy to refer to the Spirit as “it” rather than “Him”?

• 2 months later...
On 7/23/2018 at 1:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13a) Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person? What kinds of functions that we attribute to persons does the Holy Spirit do? Why is it so easy to refer to the Spirit as “it” rather than “Him”?

a. The Bible refers to the Holy Spirit as a He (a person).

b. Teaching, leading, guiding, comforting, speaking, correcting, helping, working, testifying, grieving, tempting, etc.

c. I would not refer to the Spirit as an "it", because when you receive Christ, you receive the person of the Holy Spirit. God is a personal God and  has given to us of His Spirit to dwell in us and help, strengthen and encourage us.  It is easy for a person who is not born again to refer to the person of the Holy Spirit as an "it", not knowing what He does and not knowing what the Bible says about Him.

Q3. (John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13a) Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person?

Jesus promises the Holy Spirit to be sent as Counselor, the   Spirit of truth.  Counselor and Spirit  are use as nouns not adjectives. Impersonal force /force   are not used . Jw uses the word helper and in 16:13 However when that one comes.... not showing respect to the Holy Spirit (really???) So Holy Sipirit  and Counselor are showing a person.

What kinds of functions that we attribute to persons does the Holy Spirit do?

The Holy Spirit appoints missionaries (Acts 13:2; 20:28), He leads and directs workers in their ministry (Acts 8:29; 10:19-20; 16:6-7; 1 Corinthians 2:13), He speaks through the prophets (Acts 1:16; 1 Peter 1:11-12; 2 Peter 1:21), He corrects (John 16:8), He comforts (Acts 9:31), He helps us in our infirmities (Romans 8:26), He teaches (John 14:26; 1 Corinthians 12:3), He guides (John 16:13), He sanctifies (Romans 15:16; 1 Corinthians 6:11), He testifies of Christ (John 15:26), He glorifies Christ (John 16:14), He empowers (Romans 15:13), He searches all things (Romans 11:33-34; 1 Corinthians 2:10-11), He works according to his own will (1 Corinthians 12:11), He dwells with saints (John 14:17), He can be grieved (Ephesians 4:30), He can be resisted (Acts 7:51), and He can be tempted (Acts 5:9).

Why is it so easy to refer to the Spirit as "it" rather than "Him"?

The word Spirit does not show gender identity. The use of "it" would not show a gender idenity.

I believe the Holy Spirit is a Person because H performs many functions attributable to persons, as we have seen from scriptures. In addition to the many functions already pointed out in our study material, I also discovered in Acts 5:3 that Holy Spirit could also be lied to. Who lies to an impersonal force or power(e.g. gravity)?? I believe its so easy to refer to the Holy Spirit as "it" rather than "Him" because the word 'Spirit' defies grammatical gender in most languages(including Greek). Moreover, I personally think of "spirit" as having no relation with either masculinity or femininity. For example, even though I'm male, I strongly believe that my spirit is NOT 'masculine'.?

The Holy Spirit is a person, He has life and a will as seen in 1Corinthians 2:10-11. “these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. 11For who knows a person's thoughts except their own spirit within them? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. He is part of the Holy Trinity: God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit was sent to Jesus’ disciples and believers when Jesus finished his ministry on earth, dying on the cross, and ascending into heaven. The Holy Spirit came to continue comforting, guiding, teaching Jesus’ disciples and all believers. 

The Holy Spirit is near us, helping us, teaching us to follow God, interceding to God the Father for us when we pray. He prompts and moves believers, He gives them nudges.  

It is easy to refer to the Holy Spirit as ‘it’ because we do not see him but He has the attributes of a person since He has personal relationships with believers.  He has insight and intellect.  He performs miracles.  He is Jesus, He is God.

Q3. (John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13a) Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person?

When our Lord referred  to the Comforter, the Holy Spirit , Jesus himself addressed the Spirit as 'HE' ; at least three times that we know about.

In the 18 scriptures that refer to the activities of the Holy Spirit we see such actions as HE teaches, guides , empowers, sanctifies, He dwells and searches and is even grieved. There are more found in Acts, John , 1st Corinthians, Romans and Ephesians .  

Why is it so easy to refer to the Spirit as “it” rather than “Him”?

Just as like when a person sees a dove and it flies away they would ask "where did it go ?    But if that dove was their pet bird ( and knowing the gender of such ) they would say " where did HE go ? "    So it is the same when someone has the Holy Spirit dwelling in them , respect and real knowledge says to say HE; sadly those without the comfort of the Holy Spirit will address the Holy Spirit as it ( even some well meaning Christians ). 

"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit (neuter noun), whom (neuter pronoun) the Father will send in my name, He (masculine pronoun) will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." (John 14:26)

"When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit (neuter noun) of truth who (neuter pronoun)  goes out from the Father, He (masculine pronoun) will testify about me." (John 15:26)

"When He (masculine pronoun), the Spirit (neuter noun) of truth, comes, he (no pronoun in Greek) will guide you into all truth." (John 16:13a)

Scripture makes it plain that the Holy Spirit is Person, not an impersonal force or power. The strongest evidence for me is that Jesus was clear in referring to the Spirit as “He”, not “it”. That evidence is supported by the multiple descriptions of the Spirit’s activities on earth that are common to people. He lives with us. He speaks, instructs, guides, corrects, convicts. He relates on an emotional level in ministering to us with comfort and encouragement, and can experience grief when we dishonor the royal law of love with bitterness, anger, malice.

I think perhaps it is easy to refer to the Spirit as “it” rather than “Him” because He is intangible and unseen to us. We can relate to the idea of our Father and the Son. But as Spirit, we struggle to grasp the concept of who He is.

Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person?

The Scriptures identifies Him as a Person; Jesus Himself identifies Him as a Person as He said in John 14:26 "But the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you:"

• The Holy Spirit appoints missionaries (Acts 13:2; 20:28),
  • He leads and directs workers in their ministry (Acts 8:29; 10:19-20; 16:6-7; 1 Corinthians 2:13),
  • He speaks through the prophets (Acts 1:16; 1 Peter 1:11-12; 2 Peter 1:21),
  • He corrects (John 16:8),
  • He comforts (Acts 9:31),
  • He helps us in our infirmities (Romans 8:26),
  • He teaches (John 14:26; 1 Corinthians 12:3),
  • He guides (John 16:13),
  • He sanctifies (Romans 15:16; 1 Corinthians 6:11),
  • He testifies of Christ (John 15:26),
  • He glorifies Christ (John 16:14),
  • He empowers (Romans 15:13),
  • He searches all things (Romans 11:33-34; 1 Corinthians 2:10-11),
  • He works according to his own will (1 Corinthians 12:11),
  • He dwells with saints (John 14:17),
  • He can be grieved (Ephesians 4:30),
  • He can be resisted (Acts 7:51), and
  • He can be tempted (Acts 5:9).

In truth I'm not 100% sure, when conducting a word study I'd feel comfortable saying many do so as they discern the meaning of the word spirit. In some translation spirit is rendered as ghost. The King James renders Holy Ghost 89 times, ----Matthew 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. ---- The King James version/translation is one of the popular versions/translations.

Even though this translation hails "Holy Ghost" a said number of times; and the word spirit having multiple meanings under the umbrella "pneuma" I'm still not 100% sure; I mean God The Father is a Spirit, how often is He referred to as an "it"   

I believe that the Holy Spirit is a Person because of what Jesus taught about him and how the Holy Spirit behaved in the NT times. 

Functions that we attribute to persons includes such description as leads, guides, testify, grieved, comforts, distribute his gifts to us according to his own will etc. All these functions shows that Holy Spirit is a Person and is different from Jesus or God the Father.

It is easy because we cannot see the Holy Spirit and when the Holy Spirit works within us, it seems like a force. 

Q3. (John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13a) Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person? What kinds of functions that we attribute to persons does the Holy Spirit do? Why is it so easy to refer to the Spirit as "it" rather than "Him"?

We believe He is a person because He is a part of the Trinity and does so many things that are functions that a person can do.

The Holy Spirit appoints missionaries (Acts 13:2; 20:28),

He leads and directs workers in their ministry (Acts 8:29; 10:19-20; 16:6-7; 1 Corinthians 2:13),

He speaks through the prophets (Acts 1:16; 1 Peter 1:11-12; 2 Peter 1:21),

He corrects (John 16:8),

He comforts (Acts 9:31),

He helps us in our infirmities (Romans 8:26),

He teaches (John 14:26; 1 Corinthians 12:3),

He guides (John 16:13),

He sanctifies (Romans 15:16; 1 Corinthians 6:11),

He testifies of Christ (John 15:26),

He glorifies Christ (John 16:14),

He empowers (Romans 15:13),

He searches all things (Romans 11:33-34; 1 Corinthians 2:10-11),

He works according to his own will (1 Corinthians 12:11),

He dwells with saints (John 14:17),

He can be grieved (Ephesians 4:30),

He can be resisted (Acts 7:51), and

He can be tempted (Acts 5:9).

We sometimes think that because He is the part of the Trinity He is not a person but a power. So we address him as an it.

Q3. (John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13a) Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person? What kinds of functions that we attribute to persons does the Holy Spirit do? Why is it so easy to refer to the Spirit as "it" rather than "Him"?

We believe that the Holy Spirit is a person because He does things that only a person could do. There is evidence in the Bible showing that He is the third person of the Trinity. It is stated in the Nicene Creed as well. The Holy Spirit can be grieved. He glorifies, he appoints missionaries, He leads and directs workers and He comforts and corrects; plus many more things that only a person can do.

It is easy to think that when some passages refer to the Spirit as a neuter pronoun and not male or female. So people tend to think that He is an impersonal force instead. In different languages like German, Spanish and French words have masculine, feminine or neuter pronouns and some people take it to mean that it should be neither he nor she just it. In today's' culture it is considered politically correct to say it instead of he or she. So some have changed the total meaning of verses about the Holy Spirit and made Him impersonal.

I believe the Holy Spirit to be a person because of the way the Bible refers to him as “He” in so many places. Would Jesus have called the Holy Spirit “He” if He wasn’t a male and to be a male you have to be a person, simple as that, at least in my way of thinking. In answering the 2nd question I am copying & pasting the list presented by Dr. Wilson of things the Holy Spirit does, and is susceptible to, in much the same way as people.

• He leads and directs workers in their ministry (Acts 8:29; 10:19-20; 16:6-7; 1 Corinthians 2:13),

There are likely quite a number of reasons as to why most people would refer to the Holy Spirit as “it” rather than “He”, but personally I tend to place the blame on ignorance. Perhaps that is more of an excuse than a reason, at least in some people’s eyes but the fact remains that some, if not most know nothing about the Holy Spirit. I was saved in a church where many of the people spoke in tongues and that was many years back and it is just now I’m having my eyes opened to a lot here. I didn’t stay with that church long, in fact for a long time I left the entire church completely or perhaps my knowledge base and more importantly, what I know deep down inside, or in my heart would be much greater.

Q3. (John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13a) 
Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person? 

Scripture clearly teaches us about the three persons of God: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Since we are made in the image of God, we can expect similar characteristics between God and man. We know the Holy Spirit teaches (John 14:26), He testifies (John 15:26), He guides (John 16:13), He glorifies Christ (John 16:14), He corrects (Acts 9:31), and He performs many more functions. He has insight (1 Corinthians 2:10-11), knowledge (Romans 8:27), and a will (1 Corinthians 12:11). There are many other functions He performs that only a person can accomplish – these include convicting people of sin (John 16:8), doing miracles (Acts 8:39), and guiding humans (John 16:13). We also read that specific actions can be directed against Him – He can be lied to (Acts 5:3), He can be resisted (Acts 7:51), He can be grieved (Ephesians 4:30), He can be blasphemed (Matthew 12:31), and He can be insulted (Hebrews 10:29). Above are all attributes of the personality of a person, proving that God the Holy Spirit is a person and not an “it”. 
Maybe He is sometimes referred to as “it” because we are so complacent about Him; our emphasis is always on the Father and the Son. We do not have fellowship or pray to Him and His role in life is always played down. We tend not to think of Him as God the Holy Spirit, as part of the Trinity, and therefore we can easily refer to Him as it or as an impersonal force. 

On 7/23/2018 at 1:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The bible points to the fact that Holy Spirit is a person

• He can be tempted (Acts 5:9)

I think it is the world we live in that people call the Holy Spirit "it" rather then him, not sure if it's just laziness or not to"offend" anyone.

(John 14:26; 15:26; 16:13a) Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person?

The Holy Spirit is a Person because Jesus speaks of the Holy Spirit as a person.

The Holy Spirit appoints missionaries (Acts 13:2; 20:28), He leads and directs workers in their ministry (Acts 8:29; 10:19-20; 16:6-7; 1 Corinthians 2:13), He speaks through the prophets (Acts 1:16; 1 Peter 1:11-12; 2 Peter 1:21), He corrects (John 16:8), He comforts (Acts 9:31), He helps us in our infirmities (Romans 8:26), He teaches (John 14:26; 1 Corinthians 12:3), He guides (John 16:13), He sanctifies (Romans 15:16; 1 Corinthians 6:11), He testifies of Christ (John 15:26), He glorifies Christ (John 16:14), He empowers (Romans 15:13), He searches all things (Romans 11:33-34; 1 Corinthians 2:10-11) He works according to his own will (1 Corinthians 12:11), He dwells with saints (John 14:17), He can be grieved (Ephesians 4:30), He can be resisted (Acts 7:51), and He can be tempted (Acts 5:9).

Because we cannot see the Holy Spirit.

a.      The scriptures also support our evident that the Holy Spirit function as a person.

b.      All of the function outline by Dr. Wilson are scripture based that attribute to the Holy Spirit function and person hood of the Holy Spirit. To                  name a few: Lead,guide, (John16:13a); direct, teach, (14:26) and  sanctifies. (Romans 15:16) 

c.       For so many, it’s due to habit, or  a lack of understanding of God’s Words, and listening to others instead of studying for self. I was filled with the              Holy Spirit with the gift of speaking in tongues. I still speak occasionally in this heavenly langue in my pray time. I am still learning and                      being enlighten through your teaching on the Holy Spirit.   

Our belief that the Holy Spirit is a Person is derived from the Scripture. The way the Holy Spirit is addressed in numerous texts of the Bible is very clearly pointing to a Person, a conscious Being.  The operative verbs associated with the Holy Spirit in the Holy Bible reflect a Person.

In (John 16:7), Jesus says, “Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you, but if I go, I will send him to you.” The ‘Counselor’ and ‘him’ are associated with persons. Comforting, helping, teaching, correcting and testifying are attributes of a person.

The Holy Spirit has attributes of a person, including the following: - helps, guides, comforts, corrects, teaches, dwells, works, grieves, searches and empowers.

Where Spirit is described in Greek the word in not masculine or feminine but neuter. If the word is thus left in the neuter state, it becomes easy and natural to refer to the Spirit as “it” rather than “Him”

Jesus promised the disciples that the Holy Spirit would help them remember what he had been teaching them. This promise ensures the validity of the New Testament. The disciples were eyewitnesses of Jesus’ life and teachings, and the Holy Spirit helped them remember without taking away their individual perspectives.

We are confident that the Gospels are accurate records of what Jesus taught and did. The Holy Spirit can help us in the same way. When we study the Bible, we can trust him to plant truth in our mind, convince do God’s will, and reminded when we stray from it.

The Holy Spirit guides us is the truth about Christ. The Spirit also helps us through patient practice to discern right from wrong.

Jesus said the Holy Spirit would tell disciples “about the future”—the nature of their mission, the opposition they would face, and the final outcome of their efforts. They didn’t fully understand these promises until the Holy Spirit came after Jesus’ death and resurrection. Then the Holy Spirit revealed truths to the disciples that they written down in the books.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

- Because we believe and say our Father in heaven  outomatically  is a Person in Holy Spirit.

- He appoints, guides, helps, corrects, comforts, teachs, leads, empowers, cares, covers, testifies and more….

I think we can use as spiritual Background to call Holy Spirit.

I believe it is a common mistake that we speak of the Holy Spirit as "it", not that we actual believe it is. God is a spirit and the Holy Spirit and Jesus are as God. We believe God to be real so his spirit is real also.  They "live" in us and with us.  We can feel their presence.  They are not objects, and  "it" implies that they are.  Idol gods are objects, "its". The body is an object but the spirit brings it to life, gives it action, and when the spirit leaves the body, "it", the body is dead.  "it" moves no more. no more action.  The Spirit is active in our lives... when we say "it" we are just identifying who we are referring to, not God or Jesus, but the Spirit. so we say "it" when we should say "He".  But if we say "He" we may get misunderstood believing that we meant God or Jesus, so we say "it" meaning we are speaking of the Spirit, not that we believe the Spirit to be an "it".  Confusing... lololo.  Are there many who believe that the Spirit is not a person?  I know I am one who used to refer to the Spirit as "it", but I always knew and understood Him to be a person as God.

Q-Why do we believe that the Holy Spirit is not an impersonal force or power, but a Person?

when He says _-I will send him from the Father .John 15(26-27) The ‘Counselor’ and ‘him’ are associated with persons. Comforting, helping, teaching, correcting and testifying are attributes of a person.

Q-What kinds of functions that we attribute to persons does the Holy Spirit do?

I am copying & pasting the list presented by Dr. Wilson of things the Holy Spirit does.

Q-Why is it so easy to refer to the Spirit as "it" rather than "Him"?

Let me thank Pastor Wilson for this question as this lesson has made me aware of Holy Spirit as a person though I believed Trinity  in all my days of Faith  and believed that the Spirit of God remains with us as one of His Promises .

I understand that people use the term it due to  shallow understanding and not giving attention in seeking the nature of Holy Spirit.

May be in the mind  of some individuals ,there is some image of formlessness  or vapor or dove  due to the use of  word  spirit  or ghost etc  OR  may be not attributing any gender due to conditioning of political correctness from older times ..Indeed it is a personal name and He .............

The Holy Spirit is as God and Jesus.  They form a trinity. The Holy spirit acts, teaches, leads, guides.  I think we call him, "it" not because we believe him not to be real but because we are trying to make  known that we are speaking of him rather than of Jesus or God at the time and if we say him the person we are speaking to may not know which "him we are referring to.  but if we say or call him "it" we are speaking of the Spirit and not of God or Jesus.

There is solid biblical evidence that points to a conclusion that the Holy Spirit is a distinct Person in his own right and performs functions we attribute to personhood.

These are functions we attribute to persons, not to impersonal forces. John sees the Holy Spirit as a Person, sent by the Father to replace Jesus' physical presence to be the Paraclete with his disciples.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q 3a. I believe He is a Person because the Bible declares this truth and because I have a personal relationship with Him (interactive). We can't have a relationship with a "force"...like the wind or a hurricane or gravity. Those affect us and we see or feel results, but with which we can have no relationship.

3b. A wonderful complete list is given in the notes, but some of the ones which are so personal and practical to me are:  Holy Spirit changes and renews my mind, He loves me in fellowship/friendship with His special "hugs" when He makes His Presence known but always draws my attention to Jesus. He delivers and protects me,  helps and assists me (He's shown me how to do things which I've never learned but need to be able to do or to know)  He guides with "nudges" "set ups" "checks in my spirit",  and teaches me giving me understanding of the Scriptures and hunger to read them. He trains me and convicts me of sin without shaming me,  He gives me wisdom and understanding in my interaction with others. He has a sense of humor... I've heard Him chuckle! He has given me a special prayer language and ministry gifts for equipping in ministry. He draws my eyes to things which delight me, which I'd have missed otherwise. His still small voice, and His "emergency" voice which I've heard and obeyed, but which didn't frighten me and saved my life! He gives peace in the storms of life, and has the ability to make me feel special  in that He's never too busy for me. He remembers and reminds me when I've forgotten something and cares about the silly things I care about...like leading me to a library book which I've never heard of but which is exactly what I've been wanting to read and puts something in my path I've prayed for then forgotten,  and never expected to find....then suddenly it's free or on sale and one time was on the sidewalk!  He initiates inner healing when I am ready to face the past, and comforts me as He walks me through the process. He makes life interesting....I'm never bored because He is so creative and intelligent yet never overwhelming with His power and might...He is always Gentle and a Gentleman. When I remember to ask Him to "order my steps" I'm amazed at what happens when I just thought I was running an errand and am given the privilege of sharing Christ with another customer or neighbor  or who needs prayer during a phone call. (He once  led me to not hang up on an obscene phone caller, then led me through a conversation with the young man, who was bored and Kicked out of school, and  who accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior before we ended the conversation!) He reassures me when I'm frightened and reminds me that I'm not all alone with no resources and with no one to help me, as I was growing up and whispers: "I AM with you, I AM in you, I AM for you!"  He is dedicated to setting me free from the fears which were shackles preventing me from enjoying life! He has been described as a Fatherly Nursemaid to the Hebrews in the wilderness....and since I've been in the wilderness waiting for promises yet to be fulfilled for just about as long as they wandered, that's Who He is to this broken, often lost, needy "patient", His child.

3c. I thought before I met Him that He was an "It"  because He was described as "the" like an object and because of ignorance that we are meant to have a personal relationship with Him just as we do with our Father and our Jesus. Oh How I love Him back for His constant Presence with and in me and for being my every minute, on call, every day Helper to live this difficult and often painful  and lonely life.