JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Second Birth

• 2 months later...

I don’t think that Nicodemus was already born of the Spirit when he sought out a secret meeting with Jesus. It was undeniable to him that Jesus was a very special & unique Rabbi anointed with the power of God, but he didn’t yet discern that Jesus was Messiah, God come to earth as man to take our penalty of judgment. He didn’t grasp that a spiritual birth was required to enter the Kingdom of God.

I do think the Spirit was at work to draw Nicodemus to Jesus through the “prevenient grace” explained in Lesson 3. He was using all the background of Scripture and knowledge Nicodemus had gained, along with the divinely empowered signs and teaching of Jesus that Nicodemus had witnessed, to drawn this teacher of the Law to full truth and convict him of the inability of keeping Law to bring about salvation. Spiritual life can only be brought forth by the Spirit, not by any works of man.

The first birth can only produce temporal physical life. The second birth of eternal spiritual life can only be experienced through the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit [Titus 3:5]. The natural person of only the first birth has no understanding of the need for rescue from the separation from God caused by their brokenness and sin. The spiritual person of the second birth has the power and presence of the Spirit to give spiritual sight/understanding and establish a personal relationship with God. The first birth results in death. The second birth gives eternal life.

No, he wasn't yet born of the Spirit but there was a heart hunger that was given to him by God to seek. 

In my counseling, I have seen this difference of a person not born of the Spirit vs. a person who is born of the Spirit. Those not born of the Spirit have a difficult time understanding the Biblical things discussed. I had one non-believer client who by our fifth session admitted that he just didn't get it and felt he couldn't continue counseling. On the other side, I have had clients who clearly understand the scriptures and our discussions but the ruling of their heart is still within their soul which is the reason they are in counseling. The revelations that God gives us along our journey help those who are double-minded, ruled by hurt from the past or ruled by a need within their soul that has not been met in their eyes. I had an uncle who unknown to me during his life was a person who was completely changed overnight by the power of the Holy Spirit. I was told at his funeral that he had been an alcoholic and verbally abusive to my aunt but Jesus saved him and he quit drinking, became the uncle that I knew who was full of love and joy and went on to become a pastor. He was the one who brought me to Christ when I was about 12. Though I accepted Christ, I was in bondage to unfulfilled needs within my soul and ultimately the sin that I committed. It wouldn't be until 21 years later when God led me to see my sins for what they were. I became hot for Jesus after this but it wasn't until 2 years later that I was truly set free from the bondage that sin had on me. So, I believed that I didn't believe in Jesus for a long time but in reality I believed in him, I just didn't believe in my own worth. For some of us, it will be instantaneous for others we will be the late bloomers. The fruit of the Spirit needs fertile ground free of weeds and rocks to be able to grow. When I began to truly seek and reach my roots down into the Living Water, everything changed. 

On 7/23/2018 at 1:15 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (John 3:1-8) When Nicodemus came to Jesus, do you think he was already born of the Spirit? What is the difference between people who have experienced the second birth, and those who have only experienced the first birth?

a. No, Nicodemus was not born of the Spirit when he came to Jesus. He was a Pharisee but was curious to know Jesus, seeing the miracles Jesus performed, he knew that God was with him.

b. Difference between people who have experienced:

2nd birth - Access to Salvation, deliverance, healing, relationship with God, understanding of the Word of God, God's love, the Spirit of God lives inside of us as we are the temple of the Holy Ghost, God's presence, help, hope, joy, peace, righteousness, faith, etc., and eternity with God and a new heavenly body free of sickness and disease.

1st birth - Natural, born in sin, original sin of Adam and Eve, sickness and disease, no understanding of the Word of God, addictions, no way out of their mess, etc., and eternity without God.

(John 3:1-8) When Nicodemus came to Jesus, do you think he was already born of the Spirit?

No, Nicodemus was not born of the Spirit.  Nicodemus came to Jesus seeking to be taught more about Him.

What is the difference between people who have experienced the second birth, and those who have only experienced the first birth?

Those that have experience on the first birth cannot see or discern the kingdom unless they are born again.  This birth is a physical birth.  The second birth is a spiritual birth.  You have accepted Jesus as your Savor and believed that He died, was buried and rose again.

Q2. (John 3:1-8) When Nicodemus came to Jesus, do you think he was already born of the Spirit? What is the difference between people who have experienced the second birth, and those who have only experienced the first birth?

1. No because was a pharisee. He asked a question that lets you know he was not born again. The question was, How can a man be born when he is old?' Nicodemus asked. 'Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!' 

2. The second birth is when you are born again by Christ Jesus dying on the cross. This explains the second birth; Jesus answered, 'I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.'" John (3:3-5) We must be changed spiritually.

The first birth is when we are born physically from our mother’s womb. We were born in sin physically.

No.  He wanted to learn more about Jesus’ teachings.  He saw the miracles Jesus performed and thus recognized that  these came from God, so he showed interest and hunger to learn more about Him from Jesus.

People who have experienced the second birth  are those who are believers who have accepted Jesus as their Savior  and have received the power of the Holy Spirit.

Q2. (John 3:1-8) When Nicodemus came to Jesus, do you think he was already born of the Spirit?
No, I don't believe he was born of the Holy Spirit. I beleive the Holy Spirit reached out to him to guide him in the right direction... towards God. Just like he is doing with all of us.

What is the difference between people who have experienced the second birth, and those who have only experienced the first birth?
I personally do not know. I do know my heart of heart feels very HAPPY???? when I try to read and understad the Bible.

Q2. (John 3:1-8) When Nicodemus came to Jesus, do you think he was already born of the Spirit? What is the difference between people who have experienced the second birth, and those who have only experienced the first birth?

Nicodemus was not born of the Spirit when he came to Jesus otherwise he would have known what Jesus was talking about. And if he had been born of the Spirit he would not have been afraid to come during the day. He was curious about Jesus because of the miracles he had done and he wanted to know how to how to get eternal life. 

The difference between people who have only experienced the first birth and those who have experienced salvation is that they are still blinded by Satan. They do not understand or comprehend spiritual things. They think they are foolish and that ones who do are crazy. They can only understand things that they can see with their own eyes. They do not have the Spirit inside of them to understand spiritual things from the Bible. They cannot understand why people believe in someone or something they cannot see. They are only concerned with the things of this world and either believe that all ways lead to heaven or that once they die that it is the end of the line. Only until they accept Jesus can they understand spiritual things. The Spirit has to open their eyes and soften their heart for them to come.

I tend to think he would not have already been born of the Spirit because he was a strict follower of the law meaning he didn’t know the freedom from the law that being born of the Spirit brings. This I will say though, he knew that Jesus was from God.

Those who have experienced the second birth have an open path to the Kingdom of God whereas those who have only experienced the first birth are still living in the natural world, or only have a sense of what they can physically comprehend.

Q2. (John 3:1-8) When Nicodemus came to Jesus, do you think he was already born of the Spirit? What is the difference between people who have experienced in the second birth, and those who have only experienced the first birth?

No because he could not understand what Jesus was telling him about the second birth either. He was completely confused about it. He didn’t understand the brevity of what it meant. He didn’t understand that the second birth meant baptism in water and Holy Spirit. He didn’t understand the reasoning behind why the second birth was so important to be able to access the Kingdom of God.

The difference is clear we are born of the imperishable seed and of water and of the Holy Spirit. The person who is born of God will choose not to sin continually. Also they will believe in Jesus Christ and become children of God. 
The first birth don’t know God and continually sin and don’t have the baptism of the Holy Spirit and haven’t been baptized. 

On 7/23/2018 at 1:15 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

No,I do not think he was yet born of the Spirit, but he was eager to learn.

The 2nd birth is born into the kingdom of God, the Spirit dwells in you, you are washed clean.

The 1st birth is into this world of sin and I think like Nicodemus there is a real need people feel to know more about God that will lead them to God.

Q2. (John 3:1-8) 
When Nicodemus came to Jesus, do you think he was already born of the Spirit? 

Nicodemus had climbed to the top rung of religious success in Judaism, but Jesus still told him that the only way he would see the Kingdom of God was to be born again. He must have come to realize that all his good works, extensive knowledge, and accomplishments were worthless, and that there was nothing he could do to be born again. He had to be emptied of all his self-confidence and achievements in order to see his need for a Saviour.
People born-again have been changed by the Holy Spirit. They now care for the things of God, even having the need to seek after God. There is now a love for God that was not there before.  It is far from perfect, but it is real – it is the start of their Christian journey. In contrast, those not born-again are indifferent to the things of God – more often they will display an open hostile attitude towards Him. They are not seeking God, rather they are seeking their own happiness, peace of mind, relief from guilt, a meaningful life, and so many other things that we know only God can give them. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!
They are so self-centred, yet they still want all the benefits of God without God Himself. In 1 Cor 2:14 we read that the person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to them, and they cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. The solution to this spiritual deadness and inability to respond only comes when God gives us new life within.

No, not at this time.  He was inwardly prepared to receive the spirit but did not yet know ot the Spirit's existence.  Nicodemus was confused about the phrase "born again".  He did not think it possible to be reborn;  he was thinking of the wrong thing.  People who have been reborn understand their need to be in contact with God.  They realize that they are blessed by God and want to please God in their daily lives.  They have been reborn and blessed by the Holy Spirit.  They yearn to be pleasing to God.  Those who are not born again do not long for God's blesing;  they often denoince our Lord and tell others that there is no God.

Q2. (John 3:1-8) When Nicodemus came to Jesus, do you think he was already born of the Spirit? 

Nicodemus was following  the 'Living Water' for as yet he was not born again of the Spirit.  He had seen enough and was 'splashed' enough by all the miracles Jesus had done.  Nicodemus had a pure heart for his God and wanted more than the Law itself could give, he sought the freedom that Jesus portrayed and the super strength that Jesus surely walked in ( not being afraid of the Jewish council or the Romans ), and the Wisdom that Jesus spoke may even have surpassed the wisdom Nicodemus , the great scholar ,may have known at that point. He respected Jesus as a Rabbi and could see Jesus was anointed by God, this too could have intrigued him to seek Jesus out.  ( all the time being quietly pushed by the Holy Spirit , that the Lord may use him soon ).

If you have ever drunk 'pure clean water' you find it really hard to drink city or even most bottled water ever again.   Pure water refreshes in a way you cant express enough to people who have not ever had that pleasure.   So it is the same with the 'second birth'.    When your eyes and ears and heart have been opened to God's revelations you see everything anew and afresh and even see your own sins for what they are (  ooouuch !) , what an eye-opener it can be, especially for those that thought they where living a godly life .  And the experience of experiencing GOD , ( through the HOLY Spirit ) is exciting and humbling for sure. 

There is little or no way to share and explain this to people only born of the first birth ( flesh ) for their heart is still on the things of this world and not of the Kingdom of GOD.

That's why we pray for the Holy Spirit to open their eyes and send other laborers into their lives.  That they may see that the 'Kingdom of GOD'  that Jesus spoke of brings 'Eternal life' and the World system will only lead to death. ( Eternal separation from their Creator, GOD .) 

ANSWER TO WEEK 4 QUESTION 2

When Nicodemus came to Jesus, do you think he was already born of the Spirit?

Nicodemus had not been born again. He was not a believer. He had not repented in order to be cleansed and receive the Spirit. He was unable to understand the spiritual aspect of Christ’s teachings.

People  who have only experienced the first birth will be subject to this world. They cannot ‘see’ the Heavenly Kingdom nor can they live for eternity.  Those who have been born again become completely different from who they were and are able to discern heavenly things and experience the workings of the spirit in them. They are also able to bring others to be born again through the spirit in them which will be like a spring. They will be able to enter heaven as they have been enabled by the Spirit.

What It Means to Be Born Again (John 3:1-8)

ANS. Q 2: No, not yet. He doesn't even understand what is meant by being born again. Nicodemus isn't a full believer yet, but he is a serious inquirer. Nicodemus is also a Pharisee, that is, a strict observer of the law (John 7:50-51). What's more, he is an expert in Jewish law, a scribe, as evidenced by Jesus calling him "Israel's teacher" (John 3:10). "Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish ruling council." (John 3:1). This is the reason why he came to Jesus, to enquire about the issue.
(4 'How can a man be born when he is old?' Nicodemus asked. 'Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!'). He must have heard Jesus preach salvation. Unbelievers can see that such a Kingdom might be present from the signs or miracles that result. This may cause them, like Nicodemus, to search further. 
a) What is the difference between people who have experienced the second birth, and those who have only experienced the first birth?

ANS. Q 2: The difference between people who have experienced the second birth, and those who have only experienced the first birth?
* Is that those who have experienced the second birth can see the kingdom of God; Jesus declared, 'I tell you the truth, no one can see[66] the kingdom of God unless he is born again.' verse 3
* They can enter the kingdom of God; Jesus answered, 'I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.'" John (3:3-5)

The Kingdom of God is hidden from unbelievers.
Unbelievers can see that such a Kingdom might be present from the signs or miracles that result.But unaided, they can't see or discern the Kingdom itself, much less enter it. It is God's prerogative to reveal.

* The Kingdom is spiritually discerned, that is, you can't see it or grasp it spiritually unless you are "born from above," unless God enables you to see it.

* The Kingdom is spiritually entered, that is, you can't enter into the Kingdom, which is a synonym for inheriting eternal life, unless you are changed spiritually.

* Salvation is costly. So costly that it can only be received as a gift.

Those who have only experienced the first birth, are blind, they can't inherit, discern or see the kingdom of God even if they can see signs and wonders.

Q 2. (John 3:1-8) When Nicodemus came to Jesus, do you think he was already born of the Spirit? What is the difference between people who have experienced the second birth, and those who have only experienced the first birth?

1.No. When Nicodemus came to Jesus, he was not already born of the Spirit. The Holy Spirit had not come yet.

2. The different between the second birth experience and first birth experience:

a. People second birth experience, experience the baptizing of the water and the Holy Spirit. They experience, repentant, a change from death to life, salvation, and now able to enter the kingdom of God and have eternal life.

b, People first birth is born into sin, condemn to death, in need of a sin barer;  a separated  from the creator.

• 2 weeks later...

Nicodemus was not born of the Spirit when he came to Jesus in this scripture for the Spirit had not yet been sent.  Nicodemus was a believer but still had a lot of questions and had a lot to understand and accept before he could be accepted spiritually by God.  The difference between the two births is that the second birth is spiritual which is required for eternal life.

Q 2. (John 3:1-8) When Nicodemus came to Jesus, do you think he was already born of the Spirit? What is the difference between people who have experienced the second birth, and those who have only experienced the first birth?

Q-When Nicodemus came to Jesus, do you think he was already born of the Spirit?

No .Only Jesus Christ was anointed of Holy Spirit at the time ,Jesus was preparing his disciples for the same .

People born-again have been changed by the Holy Spirit. They now care for the things of God, having the need to seek after God. There is now a love for God that was not there before. But Nicodemus was a seeker and he came to the right place ,being drawn by the Father .

Q-The difference between people who have experienced the second birth, and those who have only experienced the first birth?

Born of water and spirit .....A believer in Christ seeks higher communion or relationship with God the ,It is a Free Gift .I find some mystery in that it is indeed special and predestines ,though humility and seeking teachable mind set can be an asset that we seek and see the Creator ..

Men ought to love God for He first loved us .

The First is a natural Birth into flesh and  physical form in this material world ,,Carnal and natural man ,

The Second is the Spiritual and Permanent Birth ,into Life eternal and Salvation Promise of Good Hope  to be with Christ (Heaven),

Edited by KenBoy
addition

• 2 weeks later...

When Nicodemus came to Jesus he was not already born again, but he was a serious enquirer about the things of God.

Those who have experienced the second birth can discern and are ready to enter the kingdom of God.  

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:15 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. a and b.  No, I don't. Jesus tells us we are not truly born again unless we are born of the Spirit. Nicodemus was a seeker...attracted to Jesus because of His powerful words and the miracles he witnessed. He was being "drawn" by the Father Who had chosen and called him before the foundation of the world was formed.

(This is so wonderful and thrills me:  He showed me how the Holy Trinity is involved in our salvation: The Father chose us and called us then gave us to Jesus as His love gift, before the foundation of the world was formed (Ephesians 1:4,5; John 17:24). In the fullness of time we were born (first birth) into the exact time and place of His choosing (Acts:17:26) Then  Holy Spirit stirs our spirits and softens our hearts, (Acts 17:27) as He did with Nicodemus...He then introduces us to Jesus (John 3:16-18). When we choose Him and say "Yes" to His free gift of salvation, grace, and eternal life, Jesus redeems us with His precious shed blood (buys us back from Satan to whom we belonged  since our birth into a sinful fallen world) Holy Spirit now indwells us, (We were the "walking dead"...until our dead spirit was reborn.) Next, Jesus gives us back to His (and our Father), as His love gift. (John 17:6) This tickles me: We have been re-gifted!...totally filled, surrounded, accepted and loved by our Holy, Mighty, Powerful and Tender Triune God....before we were even conceived in our mother's womb!

• 1 month later...

No, I don’t think that Nicodemus was already born of the Spirit otherwise he would not have been asking about it. People who experience the second birth are spiritually saved and those that have experience the first birth and doomed to hell unless that are saved by the Spirit.

Q2. (John 3:1-8)

Q. When Nicodemus came to Jesus, do you think he was already born of the Spirit? 

A. I am not very sure. he might have not been born again that is why he had to sneak to see Jesus in the Night

Q. What is the difference between people who have experienced the second birth, and those who have only experienced the first birth? 

A. People who have experienced the second birth are those who will enter the kingdom of God.