JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Greater is He

• 2 months later...

Why does John need to remind us that we have "overcome" the world?

In the context of 1st John chapter 4,

John’s assure those at the hearing of his voice, to the readers of that day and today that they have overcome the false prophets he introduces in verse 1: “Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.”

I think John encourages we fight the fight of fait from victory not for victory. Christ triumphantly overcame wherein stand in His victory; allow His guidance to be the guidance of adherence. 

In the context of this lesson, 1st John4:4, I think John encourage us as we live, move and have our being the Holy Spirit, He is as He said He is and as we abides He continues in power as He has said.

Is the potential power of the Holy Spirit within you less than the power in the Apostle Paul?

No!

What might be the factors that seem to limit our sense of power?

The beautiful gift that God blessed us with; the power of choice. Our ability to reason.

I’d like to say many perhaps will enjoy Mt Carmel in likeness; however at the face of oppositions they fear there boldness diminish by comparison. The Spirit moved mightily upon Elijah as he yield in God’s perfect will; however while in God’s permissive will he yield to his own spirit.

The prince of the air uses that same tactics as he has since being expelled from on high, he will attempt to use whatever means he came to distract/detach our devotion/faith and intimate relations with God, Christ, the Holy Spirit.

(1 John 4:4) Why does John need to remind us that we have “overcome” the world?

It is easy to be frighten by the wickedness of the world and we may feel that evil is much stronger than we are.  John reminds us that that there is someone in our hearts much stronger.

Is the potential power of the Holy Spirit within you less than the power in the Apostle Paul.

No, the Holy Spirit is the same.

Now knowing how to exercise our power.

Through the Holy Spirit and only through the Holy Spirit we overcome the world, sin, doubtfulness, insecurity and a bunch of other things. We do not live as the world does as we have the Spirit in our lives convincing and guiding us. We have assurance of Gods promises through the Holy Spirit. 

The Holy Spirit fills us all the same yet the Spirit does give different gifts in order to glorify God. We cannot have the same gifts but we all have the Holy Spirit. 

I think that we have power in and through the Holy Spirit. Our only sense of limiting our power would be sin and not yielding to the Spirit. 

Because being filled with the Holy Spirit, we have great power given by God .  With this spiritual power, there is nothing that can stop us doing God’s works.

No it is not less but Paul is experienced in using the Holy Spirit indwelling in him.

Some factors might be inexperience, not understanding how to use this power. 

Q4. (1 John 4:4) Why does John need to remind us that we have "overcome" the world? Is the potential power of the Holy Spirit within you less than the power in the Apostle Paul? What might be the factors that seem to limit our sense of power?

I’m glad he did because I sometimes need to be reminded of that. There are times I find myself praying for the strength to overcome things I shouldn’t even have to be concerned with. Fears from the past and the monster that for so long took residence under the be waiting for me to close my eyes and try to wedge their way back in just when I think all is well, and then a verse like this seemingly comes out of thin air and reminds me that all really is well, and that the past is where it belongs—in the past.

Is it a difference in the power received or the gifts we receive? There are many things which would have an effect such as sin, lack of faith, and even the simple fact of not knowing how to tap that source of power within. Here I’m seeing a couple of questions which I really need to do some soul searching over.

Intellectually knowing that the fullness of God’s power dwells in me is different from knowing and trusting this from the heart as the way to live my life. We need this reminder from John because as we struggle with this mortal life, we often forget that Christ in us has overcome the world. That conquering power is always accessible through the Spirit’s presence in us. This power is given in full measure because the Spirit is given in full measure, so glory to God, there is no difference in what I have been given and what the Apostle Paul was given.

I think some primary factors that limit our (my) sense of power might have to start with a lack of knowledge. I was never challenged so specifically before with this bottom-line awareness of the degree of power that is available to me at all times. And we often don't understand how to engage this power. He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world…familiar words, but now I receive them in a deeper way. Some other factors that would limit our sense of power include: lack of faith that this is really true for us as individuals; arrogant trust in our perceived abilities or focus on personal weaknesses instead of on God’s wise and unlimited capability; believing the world’s philosophies and deceptions instead of the truth about who we are in Christ; blindness caused by sin.

Q4. (1 John 4:4) 
Is the potential power of the Holy Spirit within you less than the power in the Apostle Paul?

The ultimate victory is ours – won by Jesus at the Cross. We might not think so when we see all the evil in this world. John reminds us not to despair for our Lord is stronger than Satan who is presently in charge here on earth. However, in the end our Lord will be victorious – of this we can be certain. Our battle is against demonic forces, fallen angels, and evil spirits - all who wield tremendous power. (Ephesians 6:12). We have been given the power we need to win against this onslaught. We must remember it is the Lord Jesus Christ who has overcome the world (John 16:33).  We have this immense spiritual power available to us – the same power that Paul had – to be used for service, fellowship, and witness - the same Holy Spirit that acts against the forces of evil. This is achieved as we yield control of our lives to Him, and control of our minds to the Word (Col 3:16). If our relationship with our Lord is hindered by any means – perhaps, our unforgiven sin, or our disobedience, or even our pride, then we will have this sense of limited power. 

On 7/23/2018 at 1:23 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (1 John 4:4) Why does John need to remind us that we have “overcome” the world? Is the potential power of the Holy Spirit within you less than the power in the Apostle Paul. What might be the factors that seem to limit our sense of power?

I think sometimes we get so wrapped up in this world and it's worry's and cares we forget in the mist of our trouble we have someone who is greater, who will help us through.

No, we all have the same power of the Holy Spirit,.

We need to grow, we need to keep his Word in our hearts and in our mouths.We need to keep our faith and believe.

Q4. (1 John 4:4) Why does John need to remind us that we have "overcome" the world? Is the potential power of the Holy Spirit within you less than the power in the Apostle Paul. What might be the factors that seem to limit our sense of power?

John needs to remind us because sometimes we forget we have this power within us to overcome the world.  We try to do things on our own and become defeated. I think that every Christian has the same power as the Apostle Paul had but does not know how to unleash it. We try to do things in our own power or strength and fail. Some of the things that might limit us are the failure to spend enough time alone with God to be strong enough to do it. We often let other things take the place of the most important thing we can do for our spiritual journey. We think we can get by on our own and we fall down all the time. Stubbornness and pride keep us from harnessing the one thing that will help us; also pathy and indifference towards spiritual things will stop us in our tracks. Lastly, sin in all its ugliness will keep us from ever coming to our full potential in Christ.

Q4. (1 John 4:4) Why does John need to remind us that we have "overcome" the world? Is the potential power of the Holy Spirit within you less than the power in the Apostle Paul. What might be the factors that seem to limit our sense of power?

I believe the reasons that John needs to remind us that we have overcome the world is because we sometimes let things take the place of God and there are times we think that we can do things on our own and we don’t need God’s help to do things at all. No it is the same as the Apostle Paul’s actually. The factors that may limit our sense of power would be not enough time with God, idolatry, pride, and any sin in general that pulls us away from God.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:23 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (1 John 4:4) Why does John need to remind us that we have “overcome” the world? Is the potential power of the Holy Spirit within you less than the power in the Apostle Paul. What might be the factors that seem to limit our sense of power?

a. So many times, if we are not in the Word, we think we have to overcome the world in ourselves.  We need to stay in the Word and say what God says about us in the Word.  If we get it in our heart, it will be there when we need it.

b. No it is not less, It is the same.  We have the same Holy Spirit.  We have the same potential power.  Only difference is, He believed it and stepped out in faith.

c. What limits our sense of power is our unbelief and fear of people.  Talking to me. So, getting into this Bible Study and getting to know what is mine and what God has made available to me and acting on it will make me an overcomer.

Q4. (1 John 4:4) Why does John need to remind us that we have "overcome" the world? Is the potential power of the Holy Spirit within you less than the power in the Apostle Paul. What might be the factors that seem to limit our sense of power?

1.  He wants us to remember that the one who is in us is greater than the one who is in the world." (1 John 4:4) 

2.  No, it’s the same power, but it depends on our faith to use it.  

3.  Faith, unbelief in God and not believing we have power over Satan, demons, principalities, and powers in the spiritual realms (Ephesians 6:10-18).  

QUESTION 4 LESSON 5

John reminds us that we have “overcome” the world so that we are not misled by spirits that are not from God which spread falsehoods.

There is no difference at all in the potential power in as compared to the power in the Apostle Paul.

One of the limiting factors that comes to mind is How? If I were given an Earthmover today, it would lie idle despite the fact that I have seen others put it to great use and profit. I do not have a clue as to where to start and what to do and how to interpret what will be taking place. The Spirit is working passively without any input from me. The communication channel from me to the Source is not working optimally. To use an IT analogy, we may have the web with loads of information but if my device has not obtained the bundles and the service provider with the connectivity nothing will download to my device. There are skills to be learnt there must be infrastructure in my set up with licenses secured to operate.

Ephesians 6:13 – 18 has the factors that can unlock the sense of power through the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the readiness from the gospel of peace, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation, the sword of the Spirit, praying in the Sprint and praying for others. 

Q4. (1 John 4:4) Why does John need to remind us that we have “overcome” the world? Is the potential power of the Holy Spirit within you less than the power in the Apostle Paul? What might be the factors that seem to limit our sense of power?

1. John like most teacher wanted to make sure that we know that we have the full power of the trinity dwelling in us. And the proof is the evident of the Holy Spirit

2. The power of the Holy Spirit within me is the same as in the Apostle Paul.

3. A factors that might limit our sense of power is not understanding how to exercise the gifts or power within us.

Q4. (1 John 4:4) Why does John need to remind us that we have “overcome” the world?

The world back then as it is today, has evil lurking at every turn.  We need to be reminded that when trouble shows its ugly head that we are overcomers by the power of the Holy Spirit within us.  

Is the potential power of the Holy Spirit within you less than the power in the Apostle Paul. What might be the factors that seem to limit our sense of power?

The Holy Spirit being the same from the beginning does not change but what does change is our awareness of just how great He is , esp within us. With our tongues ,ready in season and out , we are armed with the Holy Scriptures of Truth , powered by the Holy Spirit within us.  Our only limitation is our ourselves.  God has done His part, He is watching as we do ours.  As our Faith and Trust in HIM increases so proportionately does that sense of power, Amen to that.    

"You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." (1 John 4:4)

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 12:23 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q 4(1 John 4:4) Why does John need to remind us that we have “overcome” the world?

.a. John reminds us that we are to live in Christ (Love Christ and obey the commandments. ,We need to stay in the Word and say what God says about us in the Word.  If we get it in our heart, it will be there when we need it.

John assures us the He who lives in us is greater than the world with its evil chaotic methods .So we are winners through the Holy Spirit .,This Holy Spirit is immensely powerful ,greater than the evil ones ,Hence we overcome the world by having a spiritual point of view as we discern the world and make choices that does not grieve the Holy Spirit.

.b .Is the potential power of the Holy Spirit within you less than the power in the Apostle Paul. What might be the factors that seem to limit our sense of power?

I personally believe that the power of Holy Spirit is the same as that of New Testament era .

The factors that minimize our power are many -Not thirsty enough ,Engagement with the world ,Lack of prayer life ,Acts that grieve the Holy Spirit ,Willful disobedience ,

Explore  the bible to be spiritually strong as in Ephesians 6 ...

Lack of prayer life is the greatest obstacle ,and lack of personal relationship with Christ .

May I say ,Help me Oh Lord to look to you  and be filled with the spirit of Christ.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:23 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4 a: I think it is due to the constant barrage of enemy attacks which try to dissuade us into believing we have been overcome! That he is more powerful than the Holy Spirit who fills us.

b. No, the same Holy Spirit who indwelt the Apostle Paul, lives in each of us. (Paul never doubted God's love and security even though he was constantly facing death, persecution, ship wrecks, scourging "40 stripes less one", left for dead after being stoned, public humiliation and questions about his validity as an Apostle,  legal trials without support, going hungry, 3 days and nights adrift in the sea.....The same Holy Spirit Who sustained and empowered Paul will do so for us....no matter what! He is faithful and has no favorites!

c. I think limiting factors might be unbelief, fear, apathy, the flesh (preferring to try to "do it on our own" , presuming one is truly born again. Also teaching that is in error...that "those gifts" were for then and are no longer needed today." Ignorance of scripture is another.  In the Gospels some new believers were asked if they had been baptized in the Holy Spirit...and they answered, we didn't know there is a Holy Spirit." Also, "refusal to surrender" to the Lord.

John reminds us so that we are encouraged and not feel weak and defeated.

No, the same power of the Holy Spirit that is in Apostle Paul is in me.

Not exercising this power, not having proper knowledge and not spending enough time in prayer, sometimes unbelief too

• 1 month later...

Q4. (1 John 4:4)

Q. Why does John need to remind us that we have "overcome" the world?

A. Because many of us are not aware that we have such power in us as a result of the Spirit of the Trinity living in us consequently, we go about in fear of the power of darkness.

Help us Lord ever to remember that He [You] that is in us is greater that he that is in the world.  

Q. Is the potential power of the Holy Spirit within you less than the power in the Apostle Paul. What might be the factors that seem to limit our sense of power?

A. No. It is ignorance that leads to living in fear and doubt and thus not being able to exercise the power that is available to us through the Holy Spirit of God.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 1:23 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Perhaps it's because many Christians do not realize the presence and power of the Holy Spirit in them, that John has to remind them this.

Theologically, the power of the Spirit in me is the same as that in Paul, because we believe in the same Christ.

Yet in practice, we may feel limited in power because:

a) we don't understand or believe in the presence and power of the Spirit.

b) we have sinned, but not confessed and reconciled to God, so that the sin and its attendant guilt causes blockage to the Holy Spirit.

c) the devil has deceived us and aroused fear in our hearts concerning his power.

• 4 weeks later...

Even though we are born again, and the Spirit of God resides in us, there are degrees of carnality still in us. So we need constant reminders from the word of God that we are overcomers in Him. We are more than conquerors in Christ. Just as Christ overcame the world, we too can overcome the world, because the same Spirit that dwelt in Christ dwells in us.7

Because it is the same Spirit that is given to both Paul and us and that too in the same measure, there is no difference between what Paul or what I have been given.

Some of the factors may be carnality, fear, pride, lack of trust, lack of knowledge, lack of faith, lack of growth, wrong doctrinal teaching etc.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:23 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

John needs to remind us that we have "overcome" the world because sometimes we are not aware of the Spirit living in us and we succumb to the world. So John reminds us and tells us that "greater is He who is in us than he who is in the world." Which means through Christ we can overcome Satan.

No, it is not. The power of the Holy Spirit is the same, but the Apostle Paul exercised his spiritual gifts. 

There are many factors such as jealously, unbelief, fear, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

John reminds us that we have overcome the world not by any virtue of us, but by the One who lives in us. He that is in us is greater than he that is in the world. Those who are with us are more than those against us, the power of the Holy Spirit in us is the same power that rose Jesus from the dead. He is in us to overcome the power of enemy that wars against the body of Christ. Many times we do not believe His word and His Spirit, and we live in natural realm. When we have this revelation, we live in the Spirit realm and overcome the principalities and powers of darkness - spiritual warfare. The Spirit in Paul and in us is the same Spirit.