JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Tongues, Prophecy, and Praise

Devout Christians differ on their understanding of these things. So please be gentle in your interchanges with each other on the Forum. You can disagree, but it must be expressed in love!

Q3. (Acts 10-11; Acts 19:1-7) The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Does He always come like this initially? What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren’t mentioned? Are they filled with the Spirit also?

• 2 months later...

The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4).

Does He always come like this initially?

I do not believe He does

What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren't mentioned?

I believe the Holy Spirit come upon the Believer at conversion, if He deems the evidence of tongues is of needed, He will ordain the manifestation. Each occasion recorded in Scripture the manifestation was for purpose.  

Jesus is our example and we as Christians are to follow his example.  He was filled with the Holy Spirit, yet there isn’t any scripture that tell us that spoke in divers, unknown/unlearned or other tongues.  Some say that he didn’t speak in divers tongues because he was the last of the Old Testament prophets and that he was among the Jews where it was not necessary.  I can’t find any scripture as to why he didn’t; however He is all power, I’m certain He could have if He had found it necessary.  The argument could be that he was always around those who spoke one or three of the common languages of his time Aramaic, Greek or Hebrew.  And that may well be true; yet and still He is our example to follow 1st Peter 2:21. 

Are they filled with the Spirit also?

I believe they are filled, if they are not filled they do not belong to Him. "Romans 8:9, 1st John 4:13, Ephesians 3:16-17".

Speaking in tongues is only one of the gifts the Holy Spirit gives.  In 1st Corinthians 12, Romans 12 and Ephesians 4, Paul lists many gifts: Wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, prophesy, tongues, teaching, miracles, administration.  All of these are the gifts the Spirit gives, but no one gift is given to all.  In verse 11, Paul says the Holy Spirit decides what gift is best for each person. 

One important thing to remember, these gifts were given so that God's church (His Body) might be built up.  None of the gifts were to be a source of spiritual pride.  They were not for personal glory.  In Acts 2, the gift of tongues was given to the disciples/apostles so that they might witness to people who were visiting Jerusalem who spoke many different languages.  It says that disciples/apostles preached/testified/spoke;  each person heard the message in his/her own language.  What was the result? On that day, 3,000 people were added to the body of Christ, His church.  Without a doubt these New Born / New Joins after leaving this Pentecost setting went back home and/or different areas witnessing / telling all that occurred at this Pentecost. Had the apostles / disciples spoke in tongues that no one could understand how many would have joined the body of Christ on that day? Many would have maintained the assertion they were drunk and perhaps not witness and/or received the blessing of blessings from The Lord 

At this Feast of Weeks or Pentecost, (Leviticus 23:16), fifty days after Jesus’ resurrection; oh what a great harvest of souls and the gift of the Holy Spirit for both Jew and Gentile, who would be brought into the kingdom of God during the Church Age. Matthew 16:18, On this rock (Matthew 16:16 “And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God”; believing in/on Jesus Christ, the Son of living God the Church was established on this day when God poured out His Holy Spirit and 3,000 Jews responded to Peter's great sermon and his first proclamation of the Gospel. God used Peter greatly in the as he proclaimed the Gospel on the day of Pentecost Acts 2:14-47.

Who ultimately determines which spiritual gifts a person shall receive? Who determines who will receive what gift? 1st Corinthians 12:11, 18 [Romans 12:6; Matthew  25:15]  The Holy Spirit not the believer, determines who is given what gift, but all His precious gifts are for the benefit of the church; none are bestowed merely to elevate an individual.  The Apostle Paul compares the church to the human body (verses 12-17).  Just as each part of the body has a specific function, so does each member of the body of Christ will serve in a specific capacity.  The gift and ability that God gives me will complement those He gives my brethren.  We are not all heads!  We are not all tongues!  We all are not fingers!  Yet the unique gift of each member enables the church as a body to function efficiently.

On 7/23/2018 at 8:32 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Devout Christians differ on their understanding of these things. So please be gentle in your interchanges with each other on the Forum. You can disagree, but it must be expressed in love!

Q3. (Acts 10-11; Acts 19:1-7) The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Does He always come like this initially?

Answer: I believed it does not happen always. I came to know Christ thru Baptist denomination and there was no teaching or mentioned about this kind of thing "Baptism of the Holy Spirit" nor I spoke tongues in my more than 15 years of being a son of God. WIth that experience I firmly believed that not all new believers who accepted Christ was accompanied by speaking in tongues which signify that they were also baptize by the Holy Spirit. 

What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren’t mentioned?

Answer: I think there was some lapses on these things where people was saved during the New Testament time. It must be that this very important spiritual things must be impart to all new converts and believers. It can also be that it was over-looked by church leaders who are responsible in sharing the good news.

Answer: Definitely they are also filled with the Holy Spirit as what 2 Corinthians said that He put His spirit on us who accepted Him as our Lord and Saviour as a deposit guaranteing what is to come.

Q3. (Acts 10-11; Acts 19:1-7) The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Does He always come like this initially? What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren't mentioned? Are they filled with the Spirit also?

This is really an interesting set of questions. John the Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit from the time he was conceived, and I never saw any mention of him speaking in tongues (Luke 1:15). Luke 1:41 also says something big. “and it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:”. It mentions nothing to her speaking tongues. Then there was Mary in Luke 1:35 “And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee... Did she speak in tongues? Some might say that was still old testament and that tongues began at Pentecost but I see nothing to back that up or support either. Another interesting situation is when Jesus came out of the water and it says the Holy Spirit descended on him like a dove (Luke 3:22). I never saw anything about Jesus speaking in tongues but nobody had the power like He did.

1 Corinthians 12:7-31 appears to answer the question quite clearly and I will go with that. I do not believe one must speak in tongues to be saved. If that is the case, I, for one am in deep trouble. But who is it that speaks to me from within with answers to questions I have? Is it my spirit? Now way. My spirit always wants me to do things the worldly way and if not for the Spirit of God living in me, that is the way I would do things. What the Holy Spirit teaches is way beyond basic right and wrong.

(Acts 10-11; Acts 19:1-7) The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Does He always come like this initially?

No, the Holy Spirit does not always initially come accompanied by speaking in tongues.  Throughout the books of Acts there had been many people that believe in Jesus and nothing is said about them speaking in tongues. 

What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren’t mentioned? Are they filled with the Spirit also?

Nowhere in the New Testament does it teach that speaking in tongues is the only evidence that you have received the Holy Spirit.  So, yes people that are saved and speaking in tongues is not mentioned can be filled with the Spirit also.

No.  On the day of Pentecost it was the first time that Jesus fulfilled His promise to His disciples by filling them with the Holy Spirit to continue His ministry.  He did this by using tongues of fire that sat on the disciples.

No. The Holy Spirit does not come in this way always  I think that this was the only time there was mention of tongues of fire.

Yes, people receive the Holy Spirit without there being tongues of fire resting on them..

QUESTION 3 LESSON 6

The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Does He always come like this initially?

Not always as the experience may differ with each specific event. Where the Spirit wants to convict those in error there is bound to be some drama and also a clear demonstration of the existence of the Holy Spirit. This is essential in order to strengthen those who already believe and to encourage those who are of this world to be convicted and turn a new leaf.

What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren't mentioned? Are they filled with the Spirit also?

There may be a situation where the saved ones have to wait.  in (Acts 8: 15 – 17) We have a situation where the Samaritans were baptized in the name of Jesus Christ but had to wait for Peter and John to come over and lay hands on the new believers who then were filled with the Holy Spirit. It is instructive to note that Peter and John prayed first, as it were to invoke the coming of the Holy Spirit before filling each Samaritan with the Holy Spirit.  

In the case of Paul, Ananias is instructed by the Lord Jesus to go to Paul for the purpose of restoring his sight and filling him with the Holy Spirit. There is no mention of speaking in tongues but the miracle of Paul’s sight being restored is a powerful statement in support of the presence of an awesome power in the form of the Holy Spirit.

It is very interesting that at Ephesus, when Paul baptized about 12 men in the name of Jesus Christ and laid hands on them the Holy Spirit came upon them and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. (Acts 19:1-7)

Q3. (Acts 10-11; Acts 19:1-7) 
The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). 
Does He always come like this initially? 
What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren't mentioned? 

Yes, initially we all are baptized by the Holy Spirit the same way – at conversion when we repent and put our faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. This may be accompanied by the speaking of tongues, prophecy, and/or praise, but this is not a must.
Caesarea and Ephesus were one-off occasions. At Caesarea, this was the first time Gentiles had received the Spirit and the speaking in tongues was to convince the Jews that the Gentiles had received the Spirit. At Ephesus, this was the first time they had heard of the Holy Spirit, having been previously baptized by John, which was a baptism of repentance. Paul tells them about the Spirit and our Lord Jesus, and when they believe, they are baptized in the Spirit. Yes, we can be filled with the Spirit at the same time but we need to surrender our lives to God. We must earnestly seek Him – the more we empty ourselves of self, the more space there is for the Spirit

Q3. (Acts 10-11; Acts 19:1-7) The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Does He always come like this initially? What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren't mentioned? Are they filled with the Spirit also?

No He does not because it is a gift dispersed at will by the Holy Spirit and He chooses to give it when He wills at any time. No He does not because not everyone is given the gift of tongues or prophecy or praise. They are still filled with the Spirit however it is best not point fingers and say they are not saved when in truth they are saved and we are not the judge of who is or isn’t. Just because they aren’t speaking in tongues or prophesying does not mean they are not His. They were claimed as His and in being claimed as His. He chose who get the gifts and who don’t. 

Q3. (Acts 10-11; Acts 19:1-7) The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Does He always come like this initially? What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren't mentioned? Are they filled with the Spirit also?

No, I do not believe that He always comes like that initially because speaking in tounges is a spiritual gift given to some but not others. Even Paul said in I Corinthians 12 that not all are given this gift. Tongues are for unbelievers while prophecy is for believers and benefits them more. I believe that the other times when people are saved without tongues that The Spirit decided who would or would not get the gift and that a person is saved when they accept Jesus and The Spirit enters into them. It says in Romans 10 that all we have to do is declare with our mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in our heart that He was raised from the dead and we are saved. It says nothing in there that we have to speak in tongues. I believe they are filled with the Spirit also.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:32 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Acts 10-11; Acts 19:1-7) The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Does He always come like this initially? What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren’t mentioned? Are they filled with the Spirit also?

No I don't believe he always comes through speaking in tongues, I do believe you have Holy Spirit in you, and some eventually will speak in tongues others won't, but you still are saved through the blood of Jesus.  

6. Baptized with the Holy Spirit

Jerusalem -- Day of Pentecost (Acts 2)

Q1. (Acts 2) What happened at Pentecost that was different than anything that had happened in previous history? 

ANS: Q 1: The disciples of Jesus received the Promise. "All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them." (Acts 2:4, NIV).

Scripture Reference: Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. Acts

a) What word analogies are used to describe this phenomenon? 

ANS: Q1a: We've have six different word analogies that seem to describe the same phenomenon:

Baptize (Acts 1:5), Come upon (Acts 1:8), Filled (Acts 2:4 ), Pour out (Acts 2:17-18, 33), Receive a gift (Acts 2:38),  and Promise (Acts 2:39, cf. 2:33).

b) Are these word analogies essentially used synonymously with others in Acts 2? 

ANS: Q 1b: Yes there are

c) What did the Jews from foreign lands hear and see? 

ANS: Q 1c: They heard people prophesying, and speaking in other tongues. They saw changed men filled with boldness and power.

"Exalted to the right hand of God, [Jesus] has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear." (Acts 2:33)

d) How did Peter interpret what they heard and saw? (Acts 2:14-21).

ANS: Q 1d: Peter interprets it as fulfilling of Joel's prophecy:(Joel 2:28-29):

"In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. 
Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy." (Acts 2:17-18).

On 7/23/2018 at 1:32 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. & b.  No I do not believe that it all happens at the same time.   I experienced God being a personal God and meeting me at my need.  It was my needing the Lord  in my life, so I called out to Him in surrender and know that the Holy Spirit came into my life at the moment I surrendered. Just words of praise came from my mouth the next morning as I awoke  and I sensed His presence.   I did not speak in tongues initially.  I learned that there was more and that the God's Spirit in me desired me to speak in a heavenly language.  I said, there has got to be more.  I wanted to walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh, so started searching into Romans 7-8. and learned that we are 3 part beings - We are spirit, we have a soul and we live in a physical body.   For God is Spirit, so those who worship him must worship in spirit and in truth."  John 4:24  I did have some words but eventually got more and the words changed over time, I believe that was according to the need.   But God has revealed it to us by the Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. I Cor. 2:10   In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know how we ought to pray, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans too deep for words. Romans 8:26   It was by reaching out in faith and believing God and then the words came.

c.  I believe you can have the Spirit of God in you but in order to be filled with the Spirit you need to communicate in the Spirit and an ongoing of being filled with the Word of God for the renewing of your mind.

Some may speak in tongues. There is a denomination that believes that if you speak in tongues, that is the sign you  are baptized in the Holy Spirit. Interestingly, God the Father may use any method and not just one type of event to baptize and fill with the Holy Spirit. I think ones sincerity and obedient prayerful life will manifest the Holy Spirit in that person.

Thr Holy Spirit does not always inspire people he "fills" with the gift of speaking in tongues.  It is quite possible to be filled with the Holy Spiritn without having the gift of speaking in tongues.  It is normal to be filled with the Holy Spirit without expriencing speaking in tongues.  The person who is filled with the Holy Spirit is as filled as one who speaks in tongues after the Holy Spirit has entered him.  Speaking in tongues does not lessen the degree of fulfillment experienced;  the Spirit in-dwells people to the fullest.

Q3. (Acts 10-11; Acts 19:1-7) The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Does He always come like this initially? What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren't mentioned? Are they filled with the Spirit also?

1. No

2. Perhaps tongues came later, but they repented, got baptized, and were waiting to receive the Holy Spirit.

3. It is a possibility, but I spoke in tongues and didn't know it when I received the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit was promised to every believer but every believer will not have the same gifts of the Spirit.  Speaking in tongues means speaking a different language or dialect.  1 Corinthians 14:27-28 says that  if any one speaks in tongue, there should be an interpreter and if there is no interpreter to keep quiet.  The Holy Spirit leads and guides us in all things Holy and he determines what gifts to give to whom.  We may not all speak in tongues but have other gifts of the Spirit.

The disciples were given the gift of tongues in Acts at Pentecost to prophesy and witness to those who came from different parts of the country who gathered to worship annually. This was promised to them when Jesus returned to the Father so that they would be able to continue in the work that Jesus trained them to do.  They spoke in tongues and everyone there where able to understand in the language they spoke. At this particular time the Holy Spirit was given to the disciples to speak to the people, and those who heard the word and believed and where saved, God added to His church.  Each time the Holy Spirit visited, it was different for each one.(it refers to the visit, not the Spirit).  The gift of tongues may not have been needed each time because those gathered may have been able to understand what was being said.

Edited by Paula Price
continue with same thought on subject

Q3. (Acts 10-11); Acts 19:1-17) The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Does He always come like this initially? What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren’t mentioned? Are they filled with the Spirit also?

Q3a. No

Q3b. Yes, they are saved, the scriptures tell us in Acts 16:30-36, where the jailer ask Paul and Silas what must they do to be saved? The answer “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and his house….and was baptized he and all his straightway.”

Q3c. Yes, they are.  

This is a difficult one. We hear in the Scriptures of salvation and the filling of the Spirit coming as a package. However, in my experience this does not happen.

My conclusion is that today we receive a portion of the Spirit - like a pilot light if you like,but then, sooner or later, either spontaneously or at a waiting meeting, you receive the full filling, accompanied by tongues. Once you have had this experience you will want to be often filled.

We need to remember that this is not the be-all end- all, but opens the door to us to seek the gifts of the Holy Spirit which are vital for today.

Imagine the impact of your message if you could begin it by healing someone!

This still does occur, but my prayer is that the Lord will pour out His Spirit on so many that it will happen frequently everywhere.

Q3. (Acts 10-11); Acts 19:1-17) The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Does He always come like this initially?

The Speaking of Tongues is a special gift of the Holy Spirit.  This gift is not always blessed upon new believers at first. To have or have not Tongues , we are all the same in GOD's eye.  GOD blesses all HIS children with different gifts and Speaking in Tongues is just that - a special gift.  I believe any hungry heart will receive this gift if their intention is to be a blessing to the body of Christ. Tongues as a gift is a prayer language with GOD to reach places our human mind can not phantom , but our spirit man can.

What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren’t mentioned? Are they filled with the Spirit also?

There were many miracles and things Yeshua ( Jesus ) did that were not recorded , for instance it is never mentioned of Jesus speaking in tongues, but that does not say HE did not; however if it did then all believers would seek it as proof. The real proof of the Holy Spirit living within a person is their walk and lifestyle. If and when needed speaking in tongues as a prayer language will be granted by God to all and any who seek it. Prayer is the number one thing on God's heart for us , it is our special time with HIM and that pleases HIM the most.

Ask in prayer, not what GOD can do for you , ask what you can do for GOD to strengthen the church, and if tongues is needed GOD will provide.

1 Cor 14:     12"Since you are so eager to have the special abilities the Spirit gives, seek those that will strengthen the whole church.

13 So anyone who speaks in tongues should pray also for the ability to interpret what has been said. 14 For if I pray in tongues, my spirit is praying, but I don’t understand what I am saying."

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:32 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

3 a. I believe He comes into us according to our ability to yield ourselves to Him or perhaps to the degree of hunger we have for Him. Some have had teaching about the Holy Spirit before they receive Jesus and some have not. Paul asked some believers in Corinth "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed on Jesus the Christ? And they said "No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit." Act 19:2. I believe Paul is saying the Holy Spirit is in you....but have you been baptized into Him?

b. Tongues and Speaking in various unknown tongues is listed as a gift. Acts 12) The same Holy Spirit fills each of us. The gifts are distributed to us as He chooses. It's unclear to me whether Acts 12:10 and 12:28 are speaking of tongues in general, or the ability to speak in various kinds of tongues. My prayer language changes from time to time and I don't know the significance of that. Some believers have one sentence they repeat over and over again. Whatever it means doesn't matter to me...I just know that once I read that tongues are for our "edification: improvement, instruction, enlightenment, spiritual uplifting", I desperately wanted that gift. I'm also grateful that when I don't know what to pray or how to pray, tongues take my prayer right into the Lord's ear, bypassing my understanding, perfected in His own language. Sometimes I weep and had no idea I was sad, and realize I'm praying for something close to His heart, but without a clue!.  Paul said in Romans 8: Holy Spirit interprets our prayers and intercedes for us to the Father...so either tongues or in our own language He knows what we are trying to say and says it perfectly for us.

Sadly, the evil one uses the subject of tongues to divide many in the Body of Christ and that should not be so. When I received the Baptism in the Holy Spirit and the gift of tongues  I was told "Do not come to Bible Study and mention tongues in the group!" I could not imagine why but did ask and was told it can be divisive, in that some become dogmatic about the gift, and a few demean those who don't have the gift of tongues. How very sad is that!

The initial reception of the Holy Spirit is often accompanied by speaking in tongues and/or prophecy and/or praise.

The Book of Acts does not record speaking in tongues every time some person or group receives the Spirit. In normal cases, people are expected to receive the Holy Spirit when they first believe in Jesus.  

Q3. (Acts 10-11; Acts 19:1-7) The Holy Spirit comes upon new believers in both Caesarea and Ephesus accompanied by speaking in tongues (and prophecy and praise) like on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:4).

Does He always come like this initially? What about the times when people are saved in the New Testament but tongues aren't mentioned? Are they filled with the Spirit also?

- The manifestations involving people speaking in tongues (foreign languages) and prophesying  were special events where the Spirit fell on them in power as a sign. 

- People are often saved and receive the Holy Spirit without manifesting the gifts of tongues and prophecy; not do they exhibit ecstatic praise. 

- The Holy Spirit is at work in all believers at all times.