JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Spirit Mindset

Q2. (Romans 8:1-9; Isaiah 26:3) What does it mean to “set the mind on the things of the flesh”? What is involved in “setting the mind on the things of the Spirit”? What does it mean to have your mind “stayed” on Jesus? How much of this requires will-power? How much does the Spirit assist us? Can this become a habit as we practice it?

• 2 months later...

a & b. "set mind on" is giving precedence to, valuing, pursuing  -- it is an intentional, driven kind of feeling; not casual.
c. "stayed on Jesus" has a more solid, ongoing, longterm feeling.  "Stay" is remaining in.  With this word I feel not so much a yearning and pursuing but a dwelling in.
d. It is not so much "will power" but a giving up of will to allow the Power of the Holy Spirit to take charge.  This is surrender.
e. My experience is that the Spirit accompanies every moment, if only I pay attention.  There is often an instantaneous benefit of letting go of me and then seeing what the Spirit will yield -- actual noticeable results and it is a surprise (why?) and delight.  I say this even if the result isn't what I thought I wanted, and don't even want in the moment, but value because I know it is the Spirit -- and not my "sinful nature" -- that wrought it.

(Romans 8:1-9; Isaiah 26:3) What does it mean to “set the mind on the things of the flesh”?

To "set the mind on the things of the flesh" mean that one let that themselves be controlled by their lower natures and live only to please themselves.

What is involved in “setting the mind on the things of the Spirit”?

"Setting the mind on the things of the Spirit mean that one lives accordance with the spirit.  

What does it mean to have your mind “stayed” on Jesus?

To have your mind "stayed'" on Jesus mean that you are constantly thinking of him.  Your thoughts will be of Christ.

How much of this requires will-power? How much does the Spirit assist us? Can this become a habit as we practice it?

All of this requires will-power.  As one yield to the Spirit, the Spirit will assist us in everything.  Anything that one practice will become habit.

What does it mean to "set the mind on the things of the flesh"?

To be determined to fulfil my desires even if it doesn’t align with the desire of God. To purse earthly/nature desires instead of spiritual God appeasing desires.

What is involved in "setting the mind on the things of the Spirit"?

Yielding to The Spirit, inclining to receive His Guidance, His Word, His Rebuke, His Love; communication affectionally with Him, abiding with the focus that He approves and blesses.

What does it mean to have your mind "stayed" on Jesus?

He has priority, First Place.  We are not to compartmentalize Him to worship service alone (within a worship facility); we are to follow His guidance us as we live move and have our  being, shopping, working, socializing, parenting, in marriage, in friendships, etc.…  We are to follow His guidance before the storm, during the storm and after the storm. 

How much of this requires will-power?

It requires more of surrendering more so; however it cannot be ignored determination is also required. I have to decide to surrender, to follow, to allow my behavior to demonstrate my belief that I am His. James said something like this faith w/o works isn’t the best demonstration of faith in Christ.

How much does the Spirit assist us?

The Spirit never forsakes, and always assists as the Spirit deems. As for me it is, will I receive and/or accept His assistance. Because He gave us the power of choice I chose to press in or to move at my own accord. My desire is to press in, to press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Can this become a habit as we practice it?

I believe the more we genuinely/sincerely yield to The Spirit’s leading the more we and being transformed, and our minds being renewed more so than continuing to walk unregenerate mind/persona apart from God.

Q2. (Romans 8:1-9; Isaiah 26:3) 

To set the mind on things of the flesh means to obey the impulses of the flesh. That is to live a life gratifying the evil desires of the sinful nature – all the things which satisfy our ungodly self-centredness. It is a mind-set that is hostile to God – hostile to His Name, to His Son, to His Spirit, to His Glory, to His Kingdom, and to His Word. It will not submit to God’s law, since it only wants its own will, own rule, and to be its own master. Its ultimate destiny is death.
To set the mind on the things of the Spirit means living for things that are eternal, and being involved with God’s Word, prayer, worship, Christian service, and to glorify our Lord Jesus Christ. 
It is a life of obedience to His Word, of peace with God, of trying to please Him more and more.
To have our mind stayed on Jesus means leaning on Jesus, to have a constant firm trust in Him all through our life. Keeping our thoughts focused on Him and His Word, and acknowledging Him in everything we do – being always aware of His unchanging love and power. 
To live a Spirit filled life will require will-power, since the Spirit and flesh are at war with each other, in constant conflict, and this will continue all through our life. But we have the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us, this will however involve our desire to listen to His prompting and to obey God’s Word. As we mature as Christians we rid ourselves of evil deeds and immorality – getting rid of the old life and putting on the new nature given by Jesus. When we stumble God is there to forgive us our sins, but we must confess them, dragging them out into the open before God, calling them by name and forsaking them. He promises to forgive and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
This can become a habit. We knowingly sin – God is there to forgive! But it does not work this way, if we a truly a Christian we will find that we start to sin less and less as we become more and more like our Lord Jesus. 

Q2. (Romans 8:1-9; Isaiah 26:3) What does it mean to "set the mind on the things of the flesh"? What is involved in "setting the mind on the things of the Spirit"? What does it mean to have your mind "stayed" on Jesus? How much of this requires will-power? How much does the Spirit assist us? Can this become a habit as we practice it?

1. We will not walk in perfect peace. We do not belong to God if we don’t have his spirit. We obey the desires of the flesh if our mind is not on God.

2. When the Spirit lives in us we are connected to Christ. We are kept in perfect peace. Living in accordance with the Spirit will help our minds set what the Spirit desires."

3. A mind stayed on Jesus will help us to obey him. Living with our mind stayed on Jesus, on the Spirit, and his power will transform us. Placing our minds on the Spirit will enable our indwelling Spirit to be free from the power of the sinful nature.

4. It’s a complete determination. No waving back and forth.  

5. It will lead and guide us as long as we are willing to obey. We are controlled by the spirit when it dwells inside of us.

6. Yes, that’s what helps us to live free from bondage to the flesh.

A mind set on things of the flesh can only satisfy ones self as that person is living for themselves and for all they can get out of everything.

If we set our minds on things of the Spirit, we allow the Spirit to influence us, guide us, teach us, counsel us, nurture us as we focus on Him, not on our selfish selves.

Keeping our minds on Jesus certainly will produce Godly character as He becomes everything to us. On Christs example and love, we begin to emulate our Saviors in all we do.

It does require some will-power and a strong commitment to what we believe by faith.  Its a conscious decision we make each and everyday to follow Jesus. 

It does become a habit but more than a habit, rather a way of life.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Romans 8:1-9; Isaiah 26:3) What does it mean to “set the mind on the things of the flesh”? What is involved in “setting the mind on the things of the Spirit”? What does it mean to have your mind “stayed” on Jesus? How much of this requires will-power? How much does the Spirit assist us? Can this become a habit as we practice it?

To set your mind on the things of the flesh is to live as the world lives with all it's cares and worry's.

To have your mind set on the desire's of the Spirit.

To think and dwell on Jesus all the day long, to meditate on Jesus.

I do believe it does consider some will power at least at first, to walk and talk and think of Jesus all day long will soon become second nature.

The Spirit will assist us  the stronger the Spirit becomes inside us.

Very much so, it will become your nature just comes naturally.

Q2. (Romans 8:1-9; Isaiah 26:3) What does it mean to "set the mind on the things of the flesh"? What is involved in "setting the mind on the things of the Spirit"? What does it mean to have your mind "stayed" on Jesus? How much of this requires will-power? How much does the Spirit assist us? Can this become a habit as we practice it?

There are only 2 ways our mind can lean—to the right or the left (I don’t mean as in American politics). There is no in-between ground here. A person’s mind is either focused (leaning) on the things of the world (flesh), or the things of God (the Spirit). James 4:4 states …know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. That tells me, in answering the first question that having your mind set on the things of the world makes one an enemy of God. Having your mind set on the things of the Spirit is a very different life indeed. There are an endless number of ways which would indicate your mind is set on the things of the Spirit. It could be walking alone in the woods and instead of thinking about ways to make ends meet, discussing things of a totally different subject with God, all along trusting Him to take care of things and believing that He is in control of everything. Having your mind “stayed” on Jesus would fall under the same guidelines, knowing all the time that the beating He took was for our healing all the way to His death being paying the price we owe for our sinful lives. It could be a completely different setting like walking down a city sidewalk and instead of wasting that extra couple dollars on lottery tickets in the hopes of getting rich quick (another recipe for disaster) and giving it to a homeless person, no questions asked. Not only “extra” dollars but those ones you might be saving for a “worldly future” (which one day will come to an end regardless), and helping someone in need, never telling them who you are or expecting it to be paid back. To a worldly person it (living in the Spirit) might look boring, but even if you lived the bulk of your life in a worldly way and find yourself living that “boring” life, it would be hard to convince them that it was anything less than the top of top-shelf excitement. In the beginning it takes some will-power to get going and it takes cooperation with the Spirit because you need to constantly ask Him to remove evil thoughts from your mind, put an end to the worldly music that pummels one’s mind, among other things. The best part is that the Spirit will do these things for you and eventually it just becomes a way of life.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. When you set your mind on the things of the flesh, you are living according to your sinful nature, living for yourself, selfish, desiring things that are not pleasing to God.      The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions. Gal. 5:17 (NLT)

b.    1.  Know that you're saved by Jesus dying for your sins, 2. know that He has given you the Holy Spirit to live in you to lead, guide, teach and help you.                         Don't you yourselves know that you are God's temple and that the Spirit of God lives in you? I Cor. 3:16  And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.  Romans 12:2    Set your minds on the things above, not the things on the earth. Col. 3:2

c.  To keep your mind stayed on Jesus is to know he is ever with you,  practicing His presence, staying in His Word and having ongoing communication and fellowship with Him.

d. Our part is to be mindful to practice His Presence, stay in His word and have ongoing communication and fellowship with Him.

e. If we do our part the Holy Spirit will do His part in assisting us to grow and in getting to know Jesus more and more.

f. Yes it will become a good habit as we practice it and will fall more in love with Jesus each and every day.

Q2. (Romans 8:1-9; Isaiah 26:3) What does it mean to "set the mind on the things of the flesh"? What is involved in "setting the mind on the things of the Spirit"? What does it mean to have your mind "stayed" on Jesus? How much of this requires will-power? How much does the Spirit assist us? Can this become a habit as we practice it?

It means that the people who are worldly only think about the things in this world. They think about how to be famous or get rich or enjoying themselves by gorging on food, getting drunk and indulging their passions. They have no interest in God or the Bible and the only time they might go to church is during the holidays.

Whereas, people who are Christians think about God and what He wants them to do. They think about and meditate on verses in the Bible. Their desire is to please God not themselves and to serve Him and others. Their mind is set on heavenly treasures and people who are not godly have their minds set on fleshly or worldly things.

To set your mind on the things of the Spirit you need to spend time with God. You need to spend time reading, studying, and meditating on it and memorizing it. You need to spend time in prayer talking to Him and then listening to what He has to say. You need to let the Spirit guide you and not your old self. This means whenever you feel that old nature creeping back; you need to stomp on it. You need to let the Spirit have control in every area of your life and every day.

Having your mind stayed on Jesus means that you always think about Him. That you depend upon Him and lean on Him for your support and help. It means that you trust Him completely.

I believe that our part is to keep our minds on heavenly things. To stay focused on Jesus and not to let the things of this world get in the way. We need to let the Spirit take complete control of our lives. And we need to put our trust in Him; not ourselves, or anyone else. Then the Spirit can give us the power and strength we need to live for Jesus. He can fill us and allow us to produce spiritual fruit. I believe that this could become a habit if we practice it every day. The more time we spend with God, the better our walk will be.

It means to set your mind on things like alcohol, drugs, sex and food and anything that is focused on the world or self that pleases self. They think about getting rich or being famous or being entitled or doing things that are contrary to the Spirit. They indulge in their passions aka desires and think nothing of it. They say things like there is nothing wrong with having a drink after dinner. They excuse another's behavior even when they know it's wrong or unhealthy. 

To set your mind on the Spirit means to spend time in the Word, study it, pray, and meditate on verses of Scriptures and do what God's word says and also do what God tells them to do even when it don't make sense. You need to be willing to let the Spirit guide and lead you as read the Word. This also means when you feel the old self coming up you need to deal with it accordingly. 

Having your mind on stayed on the Lord is think about Him continually daily in and out without fail. That you always fully rely on God's Son and lean upon Him. You trust Him and know Him and His will for your life. 

Our part is to keep our minds on Christ and set on Him. To stay focused on the Lord and not on the things of the world. We need to be willing to let the Spirit take complete control of our lives in all areas of our lives. And we need to have our complete trust in Him. Then He will give us the power and anointing and strength we need to do what we need. He can fill us and allow us to have the ability to produce fruit. I know this would become a habit when we choose Him over self. When we choose Him over self and spend time with Him daily our walk will change.  

QUESTION 2: LESSON 7

It means to concentrate or be consumed by what the flesh desires. Those things that give the flesh pleasure.

The Spirit of God lives in you and you will live according to the Spirit’s desires and you are controlled by the Spirit.

It means my mind will be fixed on or fully concentrated on Jesus all the time

It more to do with humbling one’s self and yielding to the desires of the Spirit. What is required is to have the courage to discard the pride in us. We can still be faced with temptation but we will yield to the dictates of the flesh. A certain amount of will power is definitely required in order to shed the old character

The Spirit will assist us by restraining us from sinning and frees us from the shackles of our sinful tendencies. (Galatians 5: 16 – 18)

Walking with the Spirit can become a new way of living, upholding the desires of the Spirit and thereby making the Spirit live in us amicably. This can indeed become a habit.

Q2. (Romans 8:1-9; Isaiah 26: 3) What does it mean to “set the mind on the things of the flesh”? What is involved in “setting the mind on the things of the Spirit”? What does it mean to have your mind “Stayed” on Jesus? How much of this requires will-power? How much does the Spirit assist us? Can this become a habit as we practice it?

2a. To “set the mind on the things of the flesh” means, “Those living according to the flesh, set their minds on the things of the flesh” vs. 5a.

2b. What’s involved in “setting the mind on the things of the Spirit” is how one live. The person according to 5b. “but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit”

2c. To have your mind “stayed” on Jesus involves our will, thought, and our emotion. It also involves a daily:  reading & studying God’s Words, being prayerful and staying connected by walking in the Spirit. The promise is for mankind who meet the condition of keeping the mind stayed on God, at all times and in all thing and in all places according to Isaiah 26:3

2d. It does require will- power, but most of all, it  requires the Holy Spirit dwelling in you.

2e.  The Holy Spirit is essential to connecting us to Christ. If we don’t have the Spirit of Christ we don’t belong to him. This can become a habit as we practice walking in the Spirit.

Q2. (Romans 8:1-9; Isaiah 26:3) What does it mean to “set the mind on the things of the flesh”?

When setting the mind on the things of the Flesh , simply put - they leave God out - and do what they want. The "sinful nature" draws them away.

"Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires." (Romans 8:5)

Realizing that it was what Christ did for us really sets us free, and allows the Holy Spirit to teach us further how to live God's way.

"You ... are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him." (Romans 8:9, ESV)

By taking every thought captive and letting the Spirit of Christ guide your life. 

"You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you." (Isaiah 26:3, ESV) 

Love transcends will-power.  When we realize the love God has for us individually, that overwhelming love will indeed reduce our will-power for sinful things and keep us reaching out for the things of God and eventually God Himself.

How much does the Spirit assist us?   Can this become a habit as we practice it?

As we surrender and welcome the Holy Spirit to guide us it gets easier day by day , even habit forming as we enjoy the peace and love that flows within us.

"... Us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit." (Romans 8:4, ESV)    

7. The Holy Spirit versus the Flesh

Q1. (Romans 7:7-25) What does Paul mean by "the sinful nature" (NIV) or "the flesh" (ESV, KJV)?

ANS:  Q 1: The sinful nature is the life of the Flesh full of selfish desires and temptations. The flesh is powerless to resist sin's temptations; for that we need the power of the Holy Spirit (Romans 7:7-25). In Romans 7:7-25, Paul vividly describes the struggle with the flesh. But because of Jesus Christ we can say like Paul's resounding answer is: "Thanks be to God -- through Jesus Christ our Lord!" (verse 25a).

(a) Is this ever eradicated?

ANS: Q 1: No. The flesh is not eradicated by the Spirit, rather, circumvented as we learn to follow the Spirit.

Reference - Be clear, however, that Paul doesn't assert that our "sinful nature" is somehow eradicated. It's still there as part of our fallen, imperfect, and broken being. But God replaces the old "operating system" (the sinful nature, the flesh), with a new "operating system," the Holy Spirit. As we learn to yield more and more to the Holy Spirit, we are freed from our slavery to the "sinful nature."

(b) Can there ever be victory over temptation?

ANS: Q 1: Yes. "What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?" (Romans 7:24)

In Romans 8:2 he declares, "the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death." For now, we've established that the Spirit is in the business of changing us and in giving us victory over sin.

(Scripture  Reference) " 18 I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature [flesh].  For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do -- this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it." (Romans 7:18-20).

Setting Your Mind on the Spirit (Romans 8:1-9).
The Life-Giving Spirit Frees Us from Bondage to the Flesh (Romans 8:9).
Perfect Peace (Isaiah 26:3).

Q2. (Romans 8:1-9; Isaiah 26:3) What does it mean to "set the mind on the things of the flesh"?

ANS. Q 2:  It refers to the way we conduct our lives. It means leaning on our own understanding. Walking in the flesh and not in the Spirit. Controlled by our will power and thoughts. Subjecting ourselves to the things of the world. The way we think, to give careful consideration to something, to set one's mind on, the faculty of fixing one's mind on something, the nature of the mind set.

"Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires;" Romans 8:5

a). What is involved in "setting the mind on the things of the Spirit"?

ANS: Q 2a:  Having the Spirit living in you is what connects us to Christ. That is when you learn to yield to the Spirit, as you begin to focus on the Spirit. It involves walking not according to your senses. Being focused or stayed in Christ. When we begin to understand that
We are not controlled by the flesh! We are controlled by the Spirit since the Spirit himself dwells in us as would a welcome guest in our home. To "set our minds" on the things of the Spirit, rather than the things of the flesh.

Scripture References: walking not according to the flesh but 
according to the Spirit" (Romans 8:4, ESV); but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires." (Romans 8:5).

Walking in the Spirit has to do what you set your mind on (Colossians 3:1-4; 1 John 2:15-17).

It is a process that is activated on our part by walking in the Spirit and on God's part by bringing about change in us by his Spirit. But when we walk in the Spirit, change happens. "Be transformed by the renewing of your mind."  (Romans 12:2b)

b). What does it mean to have your mind "stayed" on Jesus?

ANS: Q 2b: It means having your mind fixed on the things of the Spirit
Placing your life on Christ and practicing the life in the Spirit. It also
refers to the way we conduct our lives. To keep living with your mind stayed on Jesus, on the Spirit. By walking" or living by the Spirit

Scripture Reference: "You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you." (Isaiah 26:3, ESV)

c). How much of this requires will-power?

ANS: Q 2 c : All of it. But as we learn to walk in the Spirit, it becomes a habit, a way of life. More and more we find ourselves walking in the Spirit, rather than in the flesh. And as we walk in the Spirit our character is changed. It's gradual. It doesn't happen overnight. But it does happen.

But as you learn to yield to the Spirit, as you begin to focus on the Spirit in your living, you'll begin to experience in your own life the freedom and salvation that Jesus already secured for you (Philippians 2:12-13).

d). How much does the Spirit assist us?

ANS: Q 2 d: Having the Spirit living in you is what connects us to Christ. We are controlled by the Spirit since the Spirit himself dwells in us as would a welcome guest in our home.

e). Can this become a habit as we practice it?

ANS: Q 2 e: Yes certainly. You keep living with your mind stayed on Jesus, on the Spirit, and his power will transform you. Placing our minds on the Spirit -- enabled by the indwelling Spirit to be free from the power of the sinful nature .Paul calls on us to "set our minds" on the things of the Spirit, rather than the things of the flesh (Romans 8:5; Isaiah 26:3).Paul also uses the metaphor of "walking" or living by the Spirit (Romans 8:4; Galatians 5:16), referring to the way we conduct our lives.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

2a. I think it means, "I'll do what I want, when I want, and how or how often I want.

b.   I think it means to decide to desire to live a live pleasing to God, and to subjugate my will to His desires and purposes for my life, then to pursue Him in a love relationship...His for me, and me for Him above my selfish desires. (I was amazed to learn that He wants an intimate, honest, vulnerable relationship with me.)

c.  I think it means to wake up in the morning asking Him to order my thoughts and my steps, then to spend time with Him talking over the day and how He would like me to spend my time, then soaking in His Word for inspiration and guidance. When I do this and my mind wanders to places and spaces, I ask Him to help me focus on Him, and to look for the treasures He placed along my day before I awoke to remind me of His love and care.

d. I gave up on will power years ago....it doesn't serve me (or HIM) well. As I've fallen in love with my Father, and have learned and experienced how much He loves me, I just ask for a "reboot to my thoughts" so that I'm aware of Him again, and go on through the day in freedom.

e. Holy Spirit gets all the credit,  since I've asked Him to control my thoughts and my actions, and submitted my plans and dreams to Him. It was a happy day when I moved beyond "I should" or "I need to" , to the delight of relaxing and knowing He's holding my hand as we move through the day together. He's my Shepherd rather than the harsh task master I first thought, as my parents were. Zeph 3:17 is true! He sings and dances over me/us! "The Lord your God is in the midst of you! A Mighty One, Who saves. He will rejoice over you with joy! He will rest in silent satisfaction and in His love He will be silent and make no mention of past sins or even recall them. He will exult over you with singing."

f. I think it's a process as we learn to walk with Him and to bask in His love. Perhaps it begins as a habit. Spending time with Him when I wake up every morning and focusing on Him and His Word, started out as a habit for me...like an appointment I needed to keep....but has become my joy and my purpose for waking up in the morning......more like "going on a date with my beloved" and knowing He's waiting for me...loves to listen to me...makes time for me...approves of me...delights in me as loving Fathers do....I don't want to ever miss that time with Him.

Q2. (Romans 8:1-9; Isaiah 26:3) What does it mean to "set the mind on the things of the flesh"?

Set the mind on the things of the flesh  means to give careful consideration to our sinful nature that caters to our own desires and is wide open to Satan's influence

yielding to the Spirit,  beginning to focus on the Spirit in my living

It means to live a life surrendered and in obedience to Jesus.  Jesus, the Word of God!!  We are willingly obedient to do everything Jesus has asked us to do, pray and stay connected to him at all times.

How much of this requires will-power? How much does the Spirit assist us? Can this become a habit as we practice it?

We have to make a willful choice for our minds to stay focused on Jesus and God the Holy Spirit will assist us as we yield to him and are sensitive to hearing his soft voice speaking to us and directing our paths.  Yes and as we practice, obedience becomes a habit and we will enjoy victory over flesh with the help of God the Holy Spirit.

• 1 month later...

The meaning to “set the mind on the things of the flesh” is to try to conform to this world. We would have to want all the fancy clothes, houses, and try to be above our neighbor. To “set our minds on this things of the Spirit” is to not be selfish and to be content with what we have. We will have the fruits of the spirit. To have our minds stayed on Jesus is to think what Jesus would do in the situation that you are in. This requires all the will power can put into it and then only with help of Spirit can this be accomplished. The more we keep our minds on Jesus the easier the habit will be.

Q2. (Romans 8:1-9; Isaiah 26:3)

Q. What does it mean to "set the mind on the things of the flesh"?

A. To have your mind generally thinking and dwelling on earthly or worldly things

Q. What is involved in "setting the mind on the things of the Spirit"?

A. It is to believe in Christ and be controlled by the Holy Spirit and thus having your mind dwelling mainly on the things that are godly and divine in nature

Q. What does it mean to have your mind "stayed" on Jesus?

A. To have Jesus be your centre and be controlled by His Spirit and thus think and act on heavenly things/ ways/ acts

Q. How much of this requires will-power?

A. Even though we surrender our lives to Jesus, He does not force us to do things but rather allow us to provide the willingness to allow His Holy Spirit to guide us in the path of righteousness 

Q. How much does the Spirit assist us?

A. As much we allow him to take charge of us.

Q. Can this become a habit as we practice it?

A. Yes

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 1:42 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

To set the mind on the things of the flesh is to be constantly thinking about things that satisfy our sinful desires, probably even relishing in those thoughts.

To set the mind on the things of the Spirit is to be constantly thinking about things that please God and about God Himself.

To have the mind stayed on Jesus is to become constantly aware of Jesus' presence and desires. I think it's just another terminology for minding the things of the Spirit.

From my own experience, I know this requires will-power. Moreover, the fact that Paul tells the Christians to do it in Romans logically implies that there is something they must exert to do about it.

However, both my experience and theology also tells me that I will fail if the Holy Spirit is not in this. So I conclude that it is a combination of my will-power choosing this and the Spirit assisting me.

I can't tell how much of each one, but perhaps it is an illogical question. When I ask how much of A and how much of B, I'm assuming A and B work independently of each other. But if A and B work interactively to enhance each other, such a question would be unanswerable. It is like asking what percent of a successful surgery is due to a surgeon's skill and what percent due to his surgical instruments. It's an unanswerable question because it is pointless to ask this way.

I suppose we can practise keeping our minds on Jesus until it becomes a habit. Perhaps this is akin to what Brother Lawrence wrote about practising the presence of God, where he is, and whatever he is doing, even if he's doing kitchen chores. We can practise keeping our minds on Jesus the same way.

On 7/23/2018 at 12:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

What does it mean to “set the mind on the things of the flesh”?

Self righteous .choices and thoughts .acts that follow a person by ones own carnal mind and ways .Godless .

To believe that God sending His son Jesu Christ in the likeness of sinful flesh ,and he was condemned to take away the sin of the earth ,Died and rose and live again ,and Christ send the Holy Spirit ,the person who is with us and leads us in every work ,thought and deeds ,So it is unselfishness ,not I who live but Christ in Me ,being crucified with Christ in the flesh.

Believe in Christ and stay in  Obedience .humility and surrender enable the Grace to abound in us ,

We hand over our WIll in obedience to the WIll of God ,to obey and wait on Christ .

Abundantly ,fully

Yes indeed ,Walk not carnal ways ,but spiritual way though it is narrow at times ,Spirit delivers us from the snares and rewards of sin which is hell and separation from our maker ,

• 4 weeks later...

Things of the flesh are our sinful worldly desires.

We must lean on the Spirit and trust he will guide and provide.

We must let go of worldly things and be intentional about this.

Of course it will take will power in the beginning as our flesh is weak. It is a mind-set we must strive for- to be in this world but not of this world.  We must let go of our will and be willing to surrender our lives so the Holy Soirit can lead.  We can not have 2 Gods.  We must chose between ourselves being our God our Jesus Christ.  

This is to be a way of life!!

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus says that the Gentiles are more concerned with the things of here and now. What to eat? Where to go? What to be clothed with etc. But in Matthew 6:33 He says, seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you. God knows that we need these things to live in this material realm and if we set our minds on the things of God, He will add to us what we need. It doesn’t mean that our wants will be fulfilled. We think living in the flesh is committing heinous crimes or living in blatant sin. But to set the mind on the things of the flesh is in reality, to give priority to the things of the material realm. And that will ultimately result in death.

Romans 14:17 says that the kingdom of God is not meat and drink, but righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Ghost. God created us to have fellowship with Him. But this was severed because of the Fall in the Garden of Eden, and we allowed our fleshly tendencies to take over or have supremacy over the things of God. When we set our mind on the things of the Spirit, we will strive to do all to please Him. To be available to Him when He wants. Do what He wants us to do. We will be in tune with the Holy Spirit in us and thus have fellowship and communion with God Himself. And that is to set the mind on the things of the Spirit.

To have our minds stayed on Jesus means that our desires are aligned to what He wants for our lives. We fix our eyes on Jesus and when we do that, all the things that surround us become shadows in the light of Him. He becomes our focus. Pleasing Him becomes our priority and longing of our hearts.

Without the Spirit, living this life is impossible for us. It is the Spirit who helps us in our infirmities. By natural tendencies, we are more prone to living in the flesh and not in the Spirit. For there is a pull of the flesh, the world system and satan tempting us to live according to the flesh. I do not think that mere will power will enable us to live in the Spirit.

The Spirit within us is like the source of pure water from which we can draw from to quench our thirst. But we should not allow the dirt of the world to cut off the water source, or fill it up with dirt. The source would still be there but because of the dirt we will not be able to draw from the source. So as we allow the source open, for us to draw from and not allow the dirt from closing in, we will live according to the Spirit. As we practice doing it, it should become and habit and a joy.