JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Gift of Prophecy

• 3 months later...

a. I define it as getting and recognizing God's word -- word to more than just yourself -- and then speaking this word to those for whom it's intended (which takes courage and resilience to rejection and hatred).  Prophecy may be about something to come -- future-telling -- but may be about the present state of people's hearts and souls.  Generally I think the prophecy is given by God and not sought by the prophet. 

b. Because it brings unwelcome news; and because it is so risky to trust a human who claims to speak the will of God... how is one to know?  (that takes the gift of discernment).  Also, under the new Covenant we may all hear directly from God and don't need the mediation of a prophet.

c. He says the prophecies should be weighed carefully; and tested and sifted for the good.  This would be: being open to the fact that someone may indeed be speaking God's revealed word, and then weighing that against what we know of God's nature, against scripture, experience and tradition.

How would you define the gift of prophecy?

I define the gift of prophecy as the ability to “declare the divine will of God” under the influence/guidance of the Holy Spirit; to “speak forth” what thus say and/or said the Lord according to the Lord; to make known the truth of God according to His purpose for His purpose.

The Forthtelling and/or Foretelling; either or under the guidance/anointing/leading of the Holy Spirit.

Why do churches sometimes despise or prohibit prophecy?

Lack of understanding, prejudices/biases, misunderstanding, spiritual abuse/proph-lying/administered carnally

1st Thessalonians 5:16-22 - Rejoice evermore.  Pray without ceasing.  In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.  Quench not the Spirit.  Despise not prophesying. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.  Abstain from all appearance of evil. 

1st Corinthians 14:29-33  … weigh carefully what is said… instructed and encouraged … “that all may learn, and all may be comforted”

What guidelines does Paul give here and in 1st Corinthians 14 to keep prophecy in a congregation healthy?

Prophecy according to God’s purpose!

(1 Thessalonians 5:19-22; 1 Corinthians 14) How would you define the gift of prophecy?

The gift of prophecy is the ability, through the Holy Spirit, of speaking forth the Word of God for the upbuilding of the church.

Sometimes churches despise or prohibit prophecy because of abuse of spiritual gifts, lack of understanding, prejudices.

What guidelines does Paul give here and in 1 Corinthians 14 to keep prophecy in a congregation healthy?

Paul encourages the church not to accept prophetic words without careful discernment.

The gift of prophecy can be used by the Holy Spirit to strengthen and build up the church. I think sometimes people can misunderstand what prophecy is and is about. They either think its fake or its fortune telling, if genuine, is neither. It is done carefully and only through the Spirit and the prophecy will always be in alignment with the Word of God. If its not, then its not for real.

Gift of prophecy is a proclamation from God, through the Holy Spirit, conveyed through a believer.

They do not know whether the prophecy is false or not.

Paul said that we should weigh carefully what is prophesied and should not treat prophesies  with contempt, but test them and avoid anything evil.

QUESTION 3_LESSON 8 (1 Thessalonians 5:19-22; 1 Corinthians 14)

The gift of prophesy is a gift that instructs builds and strengthens those who are recipients of the prophesy.

This happens when some churches have doctrines that despise prophesy and feel threatened by the powerful and instructive message of prophesy which could be in conflict with the direction and teachings of that church.

What guidelines does Paul give here and in 1 Corinthians 14 to keep prophecy in a congregation healthy?

Paul encourages people not to put out the Spirit’s fire. He exhorts the Thessalonians not to treat prophesies with contempt. “Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil.” (1 Thessalonians 5:19-22).  In (1 Corinthians 14) Paul advises the people to follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophesy. In the whole chapter he repeatedly emphasizes the importance of the gift of prophesy and its attribute of being an edifier of the church.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:47 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 5:19-22; 1 Corinthians 14) How would you define the gift of prophecy? Why do churches sometimes despise or prohibit prophecy? What guidelines does Paul give here and in 1 Corinthians 14 to keep prophecy in a congregation healthy?

I think the gift of prophecy is through the Holy Spirit is to show people the way, what will come, to help people the light in the darkness.

I believe they are afraid of what they don't know.

To speak with  discernment and to have two or three prophets  who should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said, be very careful in what you say and do. 

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 5:19-22; 1 Corinthians 14) How would you define the gift of prophecy? Why do churches sometimes despise or prohibit prophecy? What guidelines does Paul give here and in 1 Corinthians 14 to keep prophecy in a congregation healthy?

To “speak forth” or declare the divine will, to interpret the purposes of God, or to make known in any way the truth of God which is designed to influence people.The gift of prophecy is when you get a direct Word from the Lord to usually give to someone else.

It is because of their prejudices and doctrines. They do not believe God will us a man to speak for him. Some people have abused prophecy.

Do not accept not to accept prophetic words without careful discernment.        "Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said." (1 Corinthians 14:29)

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 5:19-22; 1 Corinthians 14) 

The gift of prophecy is to communicate/explain God’s message to fellow believers, thereby strengthening their faith, encouraging them, and comforting them in their time of need. It is opening the mind of Christ as it is revealed in Scripture – this is done by expository preaching and teaching. FF Bruce puts it well “it is declaring the mind of God in the power of the Spirit.” Since the Bible is complete, we must reject any so-called prophets who claims to have any additional truth, so called “new truths” from God. I agree that we cannot add to or subtract from the Word, but I do feel some have been given a prophetic gift in the remarkable insight, understanding, and application of Scripture that they have. 
Prophecy can be controversial and may cause division in the church. Maybe churches have experienced that prophecy is open to abuse, and instead of strengthening and building up the church, it has resulted in threatening the unity of the church, and for this reason they discourage it, despise it, and even prohibit it. However, for us to discern between false and truth, the Spirit has given some in the church the gift of discernment.  
Paul advises us to test everything by checking this against the Word of God, and accepting what is true while rejecting what is false. We must be careful not to inhibit the work of the Holy Spirit in our churches. To do this we must treat with respect and not contempt any utterances which claim to come from God, and then test it. For example, does it acknowledge Jesus Christ for who He is, and that saving grace is only through Jesus. Do we know the character of the speaker – wolves disguised as sheep abound. We have so many traditions and man-made rules and regulations in our worship that sometimes hinders the Holy Spirit, who always glorifies Jesus Christ. Perhaps it would be better to be open to the Spirit by seeking His guidance, direction, presence, and power. 

On 7/23/2018 at 1:47 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 5:19-22; 1 Corinthians 14) How would you define the gift of prophecy? Why do churches sometimes despise or prohibit prophecy? What guidelines does Paul give here and in 1 Corinthians 14 to keep prophecy in a congregation healthy?

a.  It is a spiritual gift given by God to members of the body of Christ and is one who prophesies speaking to men for their edification, encouragement, and comfort.

b.  The Bible says, despise not prophesyings. Paul encouraged all to prophesy, that is, to speak immediate and up building words from God under the anointing of the Holy Spirit. These words are a kind of revelation. Churches sometimes despise or prohibit prophesy because there have been abuses of spiritual gifts -- and abuses exist! -- causing them to rush to another extreme: despising those spiritual gifts. Paul writes: "Do not put out the Spirit's fire;   do not treat prophecies with contempt.Test everything. Hold on to the good.  Avoid every kind of evil." (1 Thessalonians 5:19-22)

c.  Paul encourages the church not to accept prophetic words without careful discernment.  Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. And if a revelation comes to someone who is seated, the first speaker should hold his peace. For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. The spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. For God is not a God of disorder, but of peace. (1 Corinthians 14:29-33)

To define the gift of prophecy, I would say something to the tune of a revealing of God’s will via the Holy Spirit for the purpose of building up, encouraging, etc., the church. It could be a revealing, or warning of something which will happen sometime in the future.

As to why prophecy is despised or prohibited in some congregations, I would first level the blame at Satan for causing the abuse of such a holy gift. The prophets from old who told the truth were despised for not saying things pleasing to the ears. There are people who will claim they have a word from God when in fact they don’t and are only trying to impress people for their own benefit at the listener’s expense.

Prophecy should be spoken when there is someone to interpret messages and also the act of discernment should be practiced.

Q8.3    How would you define the gift of prophecy?         (1 Thessalonians 5:19-22; 1 Corinthians 14)

Prophecy  is a Divine Word from God , when given by the Holy Spirit, it blesses and guides and redirects the life of the people it is meant for.    

*    Why do churches sometimes despise or prohibit prophecy?

People have not changed, for even in the days of our Lord  prophecy was  despised.   Evil does not want to hear what is right and man's flesh , when evil filled, will still today  reject a Word from God.  Even Christians not flowing with the Spirit of God will today reject prophecy.  Sometimes pride gets in the way, they figure if they can not hear from God then no one can.  Sad but true.  Nowhere in the scriptures does it say that the Holy Spirit will stop talking through people , only that in the last days prophecy will be completed in all . It also says that God will pour out His Spirit on all His sons and daughters in these last days.   ( Joel 2:28,29 )   

Joel    2:28    “Then, after doing all those things, I will pour out my Spirit upon all people,  Your sons and daughters will prophesy.  Your old men will dream dreams,  and your young men will see visions.
                                29     In those days I will pour out my Spirit  even on servants—men and women alike.

*    What guidelines does Paul give here and in 1 Corinthians 14 to keep prophecy in a congregation healthy?

1 Cor 14:1    "Let love be your highest goal! But you should also desire the special abilities the Spirit gives—especially the ability to prophesy."

The Holy Spirit is all about LOVE.   He tells them to be open to receive from the Holy Spirit His precious gifts, prophecy being the chief gift. He tells them to stay pure and focus on what is good .  When prophets come test them but do not stifle the Holy Spirit when a true Word is given.  

" 19  Do not stifle the Holy Spirit.  20   Do not scoff at prophecies,21   but test everything that is said.  Hold on to what is good.  22   Stay away from every kind of evil."             1 Thessalonians 5:19-22 

Prophecy is when you tell people a message God has given you. It can either be about the future or from proclaiming something from the Bible. One is called foretelling where you predict future events like Old Testament prophets did. And the other is called forthtelling where you proclaim truth or news (Christianity, 2018). 
I think churches despise or prohibit prophecy because they have seen others abuse the gift. People who are immature in the faith tend to promote themselves and not the Lord. They tend to want to show off or have the stage to themselves. They become proud and arrogant and push others around. I have seen this for myself in a person who was a Pentecostal. Even though she was a mature believer of many years she did not want me or my daughter to usurp her place. She became proud, arrogant, self-centered and tried to promote herself instead of letting God be in charge. People who are humbler and allow others to be used. I think in some churches you see people who want to manipulate others and be in control of things. And they use their gifts to do this; maybe even pretending to hear a message from God and trying to get others to agree with them. They try to tell you that God wants you to do this or that or marry this person; when God never said anything (Warning: Beware of Spiritual Gift Abuse! Part1! n.d). Therefore, I believe some churches disapprove of prophecy because of this.

Paul tells us not to accept prophecy without careful discernment. He tells us that only 2 or 3 prophets should speak at a time. And the others should weigh carefully what is said. In the Old Testament God told Israel that if a prophet spoke in His name and it came true that He was for real and if it did not come true then He was false (Deuteronomy 18:20-22 KJV). 
In I Corinthians 14, Paul states that anyone who prophesies does it to strengthen, encourage and comfort others. And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down the other person should stop speaking) I Corinthians 14: 3, 30, NIV). They ought to be in control of their own spirits and everything needs to be done in order.
https://churchtrainer.com/the-use-and-abuse-of-spiritual-gifts/

The spiritual gift of prophecy is listed among the gifts of the Spirit in 1 Corinthians 12:10 and Romans 12:6. The Greek word translated “prophesying” or “prophecy” in both passages properly means to “speak forth” or declare the divine will, to interpret the purposes of God, or to make known in any way the truth of God which is designed to influence people. Many people misunderstand the gift of prophecy to be the ability to predict the future. While knowing something about the future may sometimes have been an aspect of the gift of prophecy, it was primarily a gift of proclamation (“forth-telling”), not prediction (“fore-telling”).

(Gotquestions.org 2018)

I believe that the reason that churches sometimes prohibit it or despise it is because people can be immature in the faith when they prophecy and can do it when they become proud and become very immature as well which will cause strife and division in the church.

It says that we must not quench the Spirit or reject the gifts of prophecy or prophecies but test all things carefully and abstain from all evil. To do it in order.

https://www.gotquestions.org/gift-of-prophecy.html

Q3. (Thessalonians 5: 19-22; 1 Corinthians 14) How would you define the gift of prophecy? Why do churches sometimes despise or prohibit prophecy? What guidelines does Paul give here and in 1 Corinthians 14 to keep prophecy in a congregation healthy?

3a.  The gift of prophecy means to “speak fort” or declare the divine will, to interpret the purposes of God, or to make know in any way the truth of God which is designed to influence people.

3b. The churches prohibit prophecy in the church because it disrupts the on-going service. or meeting

3c. Paul guidelines come from 1 Corinthians 14: 1; 26-33

To me, the gift of prophecy is similar to the gift of tongues, God gives one the ability to speak his words, sometime on one occasion and sometimes frequently. Many in the church feel it is a bit off- a bit witchy. Others think it is a delusion.

I have been involved with it several times. Before we were married an, American with the gift came to our church. I don't recall his name, but he was a very good looking man with grey hair and beard. When he put his hands on our heads his face fell and in a voice full of sorrow said" I am not going to say much, but David and Julia will face a very severe test" . Four years later our baby girl died of cancer.

Her mother, not surprisingly, lost her mind for a while.  She prophesied that the television was watching us , which was rubbish at the time, but has now been discovered to be true.

She used to say that I drove my mini car to a car park, where I had a big car which I drove to my office where I had a secretary, and I flew off all over the world. This was raving of course - I was a humble claims investigator. Three years latent by a blatant exercise of God's power I changed jobs and all these things happened.

Next it was my turn. Julia decided she wanted another baby-a son-and despite my misgivings- she was 39 at the time which was late in those days,  we went ahead. All went well until her first clinic, when she came home in an awful state, grey and perspiring. She told me that they were worried about spina bifida and mongolism. There would be a blood test for the former, but for the latter an amniotic fluid test which could trigger an abortion

Having thought it through I explained that mongol children by and large could have a happy life, so she should refuse that test. It didn't seem to make any difference so, as I usually did when angry or frustrated, I went to the paddock and attacked some poor innocent logs with my huge axe.

Suddenly knowledge flooded into my mind. I knew we were to have a son who would be perfectly healthy and that his name was Daniel. This was news to me because until then I had been determined that if we had a boy I would name him Niall after my great ancestor. I decided to keep quiet about this, as if we had a cross-eyed girl I would look a right idiot.

Suddenly again my mind was filled with the knowledge that the message was for Julia, so I told her. She didn't know what to make of it, but she was very pleased, as she didn't like the name Niall, and she knows that I never normally change my mind.

The great day came and a little nurse shoved a bundle into my arms, and as she bustled off said"Congratulations, its a daughter"

Undisturbed, I opened the wrappings to ensure that it was, indeed Daniel.

The last time was when, having lost everything, we came to Wales. In the church we attended was a beautiful woman who prophesied almost every week about someone in the congregation, without naming them or I suppose knowing who she was talking about. I know she was genuine because frequently the messages were medicine from the Lord for my troubled soul.

Having heard this evidence I trust all readers will be convinced that prophecy can be genuine and still happens today.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:47 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3a. I believe the gift of prophecy is speaking the inspired word of God for the purpose of building up and encouraging the body of Christ or a particular individual. It may or may not be in tongues but if so, the interpretation will also be given...by that individual or someone else who is present.

b. I think to deny prophecy is based upon fear. For instance, one church we attended years ago, would not permit the gifts to operate because the pastor was afraid things would get out of hand and he'd lose control of the service. Others have been taught in some denominations that the gifts were only for olden Bible days, so they are discounted as unnecessary or fraudulent.

c. Paul urges the gifts be tested (by the Spirit) and to use discernment. ( Does the prophecy agree with scripture? Does it correct or encourage? and so on.)

I've received some wonderful prophecies over the years, especially during stressful times or times of great discouragement. One that comes to mind  was about 15 years ago while under a fierce demonic attack which had lasted for weeks and I was worn out! The attack was against my mind...and was constant. One night I started to write my obituary, convinced that symptoms I was experiencing were the same as a sibling who was stricken with polio, and that I would die. My husband was in a similar frame of mind and said a number of times each day, "It's too late for us"... The following Sunday we dragged ourselves to church and I went forward for prayer and stood in front of a woman I didn't know and who had no idea who I was. I just stood there, not knowing what to even say I needed. She started to pray...then stopped and said "you've been believing lies!" Then she prayed in tongues for a minute and said "You are not going to get sick, your life is not going to be cut short, and it's not too late for you!".....then she prayed for me and said this is interesting:"I've been believing similar lies!"  I went back to my seat and wrote the date and what she prayed for me. How I thank God for her and her obedience to speak what she heard! 

I have not been sick...even with flu, It has not "been too late for us"....and I'll be 76 on Christmas day! Gods' other promises to me are still lined up waiting for His timing for them to be fulfilled.

• 1 month later...

The way I define prophecy is if what the person is telling me about something to happen and it comes true, that is a prophet. I think that churches sometimes despise or prohibit prophecy is because it is hard to differentiate from what is true and not and they don’t want the congregation to be led astray. The guidelines of prophecy is that only two or three should prophecy and the others are to weigh carefully what was said.

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 5:19-22; 1 Corinthians 14) 

Q. How would you define the gift of prophecy?

A. Having the spiritual ability to hear a message from God and convey to the target person/ people./ church The message can be a warning or an instruction.

Q. Why do churches sometimes despise or prohibit prophecy?

A. Because they think and / or believe that there are no more prophets in this era.

Q. What guidelines does Paul give here and in 1 Corinthians 14 to keep prophecy in a congregation healthy?

A. Paul admonished the church of the need for orderliness in administration of spiritual gifts and the need to evaluate every prophesy before accepting and applying it.

• 1 month later...

QUESTION 3_LESSON 8 (1 Thessalonians 5:19-22; 1 Corinthians 14) How would you define the gift of prophecy?     The gift of prophesy is intelligible speech, and is translatable. Vs. 22 It is for believers and if an unbeliever comes in he is convicted and judge by all- his secrets are revealed and was a result he worships and proclaims "God is among you" A prophet knows things and shares things only God would know. Therefore it is a gift that instructs builds and strengthens those who are recipients of the prophesy.

Why do churches sometimes despise or prohibit prophecy? I believe prophesy may make them feel threatened by the instructive message of prophesy which could be in conflict with the direction and teachings of that church.

What guidelines does Paul give here and in 1 Corinthians 14 to keep prophecy in a congregation healthy? Paul encourages people not to put out the Spirit’s fire. He says “Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil.” (1 Thessalonians 5:19-22).  In (1 Corinthians 14) Paul advises the people to follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophesy.

• 2 weeks later...

Gift of prophecy help in guiding the church. They are given to edify, exhort and comfort the church. So prophets have a guiding ministry. Biblical prophecy is more forth telling rather than foretelling, in that they speak the heart of God and reveal the mind of God.  

Even though there is genuine use of prophetic gifts, many a time, they have been abused in the Church. Also there may be a lack of understanding on prophetic gifts. Moreover bias and prejudice towards prophecy may also prohibit the manifestation of the gift in the church.

The guidelines Paul gives is to weigh carefully what is been said. Don’t be gullible and just accept what comes our way. But pay careful attention to what is been spoken. Use discernment and discretion based on the Word of God, yet be a people who will not despise spiritual gifts but eagerly desire them. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:47 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

(1 Thessalonians 5:19-22)"Do not quench the Spirit. Do not treat prophecies with contempt, but test them all; hold on to what is good, reject every kind of evil." The gift of the prophecy is a gift that strengthens and upholds the church. It is the ability to hear messages directly from God and pass it forward as an instruction or warning.

The instructions God would have given might have been contradictory to what the church teaches and therefore the church feels intimidated and begins to despise prophecy.

(1 Corinthians 14:1) “Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy.” Paul says we need to earnestly seek after spiritual gifts and continuously love everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

The gift of prophecy empowers one to speak words under the anointing of the Holy Spirit that edifies, exhorts and comforts the body of Christ. Prophecy must fulfill at least any one or all of the above. Paul  encourages everyone to prophesy so that all may learn or all may be edified. The gift of prophecy is an utterance influenced by the Holy Spirit. It is important to note that while ministering in this gift, it is a thin line between operating in the Spirit and in flesh. This is a danger. Also one should not grieve or quench the Spirit and the working of the Spirit due to our prejudices and doctrines. This may prohibit or hinder prophecy in churches today. Many times, prophecy also gives direction to a believer or church or the body of Christ. To keep this gift of prophecy healthy in churches today, the minister must operate under the anointing of the Holy Spirit only and not in flesh or for personal gains. The words of prophecy must edify, exhort and comfort the body of Christ. Churxh must always discern prophecy. Always there is confirmation to the prophecy by two or three in a congregation. Test the Spirit and hold onto every good and always resist the evil. The utterance of prophecy is always in the line of The word of God.

• 8 months later...

Q3. (1 Thessalonians 5:19-22; 1 Corinthians 14) How would you define the gift of prophecy?

I would define prophecy as a spiritual gift that brings forth divine revelation, to build up, edify and bring comfort to the body of Christ.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

some prohibit prophecy because they are cessationist and others may be  due to their lack of knowledge of this gift

The guidelines Paul gives are found in 1 Corinthians 14:29-33
29  Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. 30  But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent.31  For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged.32  And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
33  For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints