JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Gifts with Humility

Q4. (1 Peter 4:10-11) If people are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them, what does that say about them? About their sense of self-worth? About their maturity? Their realism? Their humility? What spiritual gifts has God given you, and how are you using them to his glory?

• 3 months later...

If people are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them, what does that say about them?

If a person does this, it is of my opinion he/she is being lead of/by his/her own spirit. Being that we are to serve and reverence the Lord.

It is possible a person is a person is always promoting themselves and pointing to how he/she believes God’s suing them, they are not imitating the example of Christ nor the examples Christ set before us.  He/she are not walking in meekness nor humility.

• He/she may be hook by the prince of the air’s enticement “the pride of life”
  • He/she may desire receive credit or glory for things God does through the gifting and not realize he/she is attempting to take glory belonging to God
  • He/she may desire to feel valued or more important than the honor that God gives or will give them
  • He/she may desire to be seen and heard of men; to be praised of/by man

About their sense of self-worth?

I believe if he/she were to perform a sincere/honest self-assessment, he/she would have at a minimum, an idea as to why they desire to always promote there gifting/themselves. Perhaps their self-worth below the surface is low; however above the surface it is projected as high. (Some people boast self-promote due to low self worth and insecurity; some due to self-centeredness/conceit either or in my thinking lend to a facet of "the pride of life" 

About their maturity?

If a person always promote themselves may he/she abide in Christ even the more as he/she are being sanctified.

Philippians 3:12 -  Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

Colossians 1:28 -  Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

2nd Timothy 3:17 -  That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Their realism?

Their levelheadedness is off centered, if he/she are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them he/she are demonstrating symptoms of self-centeredness.

Their humility?

If he/she are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them the visibility of humility is probably low.

of all my responses regarding probable motives of a self-promoting  person, they are purely speculative; however if a person finds themselves in this state as he/she grow in Christ (abiding and through sanctification he/she mind will transform and be renewed).  

What spiritual gifts has God given you, and how are you using them to his glory?

I think to have the most accurate answer to this question one would have to ask members of the congregation where I fellowship and or my fellow coworkers.

I enjoy teaching opportunities!

If someone is "showboating" themselves saying and pointing out to others how God is using them...He is not. God doesn't operate that way. The person is bragging and doing as they please saying God is using them. As for as their self worth, they are promoting themselves, maturity they have a long way to go, they are not mature and going like this, they will not mature.

God has gifted me and I use those gifts to glorify Him. Teaching, leading are among what I do regularly. Contact my church and they will tell you about my gifts.

QUESTION 4_LESSON 9 (1 Peter 4:10-11)

If people are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them, what does that say about them?

It is very disturbing. It is a sign that they are the ones who somehow earned the right to have those gifts. They do not understand what purpose they have been given the gift for.

They are pompous and conceited and seek attention and self-glory.

About their maturity?

They are very immature and can discredit God as they bungle through their work with self-serving programs.

Their realism?

They miss the point that their gifts are not by merit but are by the grace of God.

Their humility?

They need guidance on humility and "The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves." (Luke 22:25-26) is a lesson for us all.

What spiritual gifts has God given you, and how are you using them to his glory?

In order to give an answer that is not arbitrarily conceived I will refer to the results of my Spiritual Assessment results below, which was part of our Assignment for Lesson 9.

I have elements of leadership and administration and am comfortable with strangers and visitors and am ready to serve when required.

I have served as treasurer of our Parish for nine years and as an elder (warden) for four years. I sing in the church choir and have been invited to oversee the quality control over the construction of a rectory beginning next month. I participate in house group and share the word with members of the group. I am in a committee of an old people association chapter in our neighborhood…non-political and non-denominational.

image.png.73da129dd9418c7a08ccc110834d3d7b.png

On 7/23/2018 at 1:53 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (1 Peter 4:10-11) If people are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them, what does that say about them? About their sense of self-worth? About their maturity? Their realism? Their humility? What spiritual gifts has God given you, and how are you using them to his glory?

That is not how God wants us to be, we are to be humble not puffed up on ourselves.

That it is all about you and not God.

That they need to grow in the Word.

As a whole I don't know, I love teaching children, helping people, I love to see people happy.

Having seen and witnessed this myself personally at one church; I would have to say that the person is full of pride and haughty and has totally forgotten who has given them those gifts. They fail to realize that their gifts are empowered by the Holy Spirit and not them and they just as easily be taken from them or they could be put on the shelf for a season due to pride.

Their self-worth is not in Christ but in self and what they do. 

They are not as mature as they should be. They are quite immature in their faith when they boast like that.

They need to grow in the Word and also realize who is in charge of their lives. 

They are not humble but proud.

My gifts are evangelism, tongues, faith, craftsmanship, intercession/prayer, healing and compassion and artistic expression and knowledge. 

I am in full time ministry right now for some of these gifts and working with other beliefs to evangelize them and bring them to Christ. I pray in tongues and I have prayed for healing for various members of my pastor's congregation to be healed and also to grow closer to Christ. 

Edited by Godswriter
wanted to add more

It says that they are full of pride and are arrogant. It says that they have lost sight of their true purpose in life and why they have those gifts. They have forgotten that it is for God’s glory, not theirs. It is to praise Him and edify others and bring others to full salvation. It is not to laud it over others and say that you are better. Like a former friend of ours who is an Apostolic woman and she bragged that the pastor liked her poems better than mine because they talked about oneness. She lost sight of her purpose and was self-promoting her chapbooks of poetry by giving away free copies to people in the church and to visitors.

It says that they think they are better than others who are keeping in the background or who have not found a place yet. It shows that although they know the Bible they have fallen away and are not fully mature. It says that they do not see themselves as God sees them. They think that they are indispensable and are too proud to be used.

God has given me the gift of tongues and I use it to pray over my daughter when she is in pain and God takes away her pain for a while. I use it whenever I see a full moon and realize what my daughter is fighting against in her ministry for God. I pray then for God to take away the witch’s power and that they would come to Him. I use it sometimes when I cannot find the words to say to God; to express myself.

I also have the gifts of helps, and I have used it in the past to help at funerals in our church by bringing food. I have used it to help the church prepare for special events in the past. I have used it to help cook at a Bible camp, years ago as well.

I also have the gift of serving others by cooking for them or helping in some other way.

I have the gift of creative craftsmanship. I write poems and sometimes read them in our church to encourage and inspire others. I have written a skit in the past for a mother and daughter banquet as well. I sometimes wrote little poems inside cards for people I know to cheer them up.

Lastly, I have the gift of giving even though I do not have much money. There are times that the Spirit moves me to give more to my church or to give to another organization.

Q4. (1 Peter 4:10-11) 
About their maturity? 
Their realism? 
Their humility? 

What spiritual gifts has God given you, and how are you using them to His glory?
These gifts are meant to serve the Lord and others, but definitely not to focus on ourselves. Unfortunately, there are some of us using these gifts for self-fulfilment. If we are always promoting ourselves, we are looking for places of honour in Christ’s kingdom, very much like the sons of Zebedee (Matthew 20:20-28), putting the focus on ourselves instead of on our Lord Jesus. Jesus came to serve and calls us to serve in His name – not ours. It’s all about glorifying God and Jesus Christ. It is in humble service that we discover the gifts we have and the great gifts that we might be given. They are used not by human power but by the strength God supplies (Philippians 4:13) - they are totally dependent on the Holy Spirit. When people promote themselves they over emphasise their importance and self-worth, and do not come across as humble servants or even mature Christians. They our out of touch with reality and should be facing reality in focusing on things above and storing things up in heaven.
God has given me the spiritual gift of service and a little administration. Church treasurer for many years, elder, serving communion, greeting guests, counting offerings, serving tea, cleaning up, Bible study, and car guard. Being over 80 years old I have served many ways in the church, but recently I have really scaled down, and currently only act as a car guard once a month. 

I tend to view a person who is into self-promotion as an insecure person. The light we should seek after in this life is not the “lime” light. There are people in the spotlight whose mission is genuine but at the same time there are those whose mission is simply self-glorification rather than glorifying God, which is of Satan. Self-glorification is pride and denies humility in one’s life. Gifts of the Spirit are not for self-edification. They are for building a bigger church (by bigger church, I’m talking about membership of God’s kingdom—not a building with expensive stained glass, etc.) and the church glorifying God.

I would think that faith, generosity, and mercy might be high on the list concerning spiritual gifts in my life. I say that because of my concern, especially for homeless people with an ever-increasing population living in the streets. A couple dollars here and there to people begging between the lanes, or clothing, food, whatever will not break anybody. Too often I hear how God blesses a cheerful giver but how can He bless one who withholds? One must trust the Word of God before it comes alive. I believe gifts can be abused, as I think I might have done with music. I couldn’t grasp the gravity of a pastor years back who talked to me about “playing for the Lord”. I was too interested in performing for “me”, and when I hit a point in life that as a result, I lost everything I realized how clever Satan was. I have since moved on and recovered from that down time and sponsor a youth Bible teaching ministry with my wife. The ministry is located in the Philippines. I know I can do much more for the Kingdom and slowly getting my “chops” back together for future use.

I downloaded the survey in a .pdf format and even though I have not "taken the test", as one might say, I have looked at it and have given thought to putting it into a program where one can click in the answers and get instant results after I complete the one I'm writing now. Answers would not be recorded anywhere but could be used as a progress meter.

Q9.4   If people are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them, what does that say about them?     About their sense of self-worth?                 About their maturity?       Their realism?        Their humility?              (1 Peter 4:10-11)

I am reminded of Simon the sorcerer  who, seeing the Disciples do such great things in Jesus name , asked if he could 'buy' such a gifting from them. He already had his fame established but wanted more. He wanted something else that he did not currently have. Unfortunately for him, and many people today as well, they look at it from the  'flesh' point of view.  Also sadly for him, he sort the glory of the gift and not the true giver of the gift, GOD.  So today we still see people using a GOD given gift and boasting about it yet the glory they keep for themselves and humility goes by the wayside.  They are their own god and their need for the Holy Spirit is unthought of.  They may even seem to pray to the Holy Spirit but their spirit says 'hey I got this'. A true maturity , a true renewing of the mind through the Holy Spirit has not been accomplished.  * and if perchance they once truly had it and backslid , well as GOD offered Cain another chance to redeem himself , we too are always welcomed back into GOD's grace through true humility and repentance or as GOD said to Cain ' sin lies at the door and its desire is for you '.  In this case the enemy will use 'PRIDE ' ..... so beware..... and heed the advice given to Simon :  

Acts 8:21   "You have neither part nor portion in this matter, for your heart is not right in the sight of God.  22  Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you.  23 For I see that you are poisoned by bitterness and bound by iniquity.”

*     What spiritual gifts has God given you, and how are you using them to his glory?

Teaching   and  helps are the two main gifts given to me to date.  I have also seen God heal people through my praying for them at times but that is not the norm.  Lately teaching and writing about the things of GOD are what currently drive my heart .      

"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen."        (1 Peter 4:10-11)

Q4. (1 Peter 4:10-11) If people are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them, what does that say about them? About their sense of self-worth? About their maturity? Their realism? Their humility? What spiritual gifts has God given you, and how are you using them to his glory?

1. Some people fall in love with power and become tin-pot dictators in a congregation. They have pride.

2. They are not committed and truthfully interested in God’s work or will.

3. They have not matured and have no desire.

4. The are phoney, false, and more on the antichrist side. They have no zeal for God’s will.

5. It is lacking because they are raised up with pride.

6. He has given me the gift of helping others. I help others that are in need of food, clothing, and encouragement.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:53 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. Prideful, looking for glory for themselves, they may be hurting and looking for love. They need to know how much God loves them and to trust Him.

b. Self worth:  Romans 12:3  Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but think of yourself with sober judgment, according to the measure of faith God has given you.

c. Maturity:  They need to submit to God James 4:7 Resist the devil, and he will flee and grow in a relationship with Christ .

d. Realism:  They are not being real, they are putting up a front and hurting inside.

e. Humility:  They need to  humble themselves - 1 Peter 5:6  therefore, under God’s mighty hand, so that in due time He may exalt you.

f.   The gifts of helps and encouragement. Different ministries of helps in our Church and Encouraging others in the Body of Christ and getting to know Jesus more and more.

4a. It says to me the following: A desire to show how strong and dedicated they are. Subconscious, insecurities and or they are still a babe in Christ. Need less they have not read about exalting self.

4b. The person who talk about self a lot, could be seeking and asking for help,; we that are strong, are to come aside them until they are strong. They need help. 

4c. Their maturity, realism and humility will grow and develop as thy discover their gift or gifts  and allow the Holy Spirit to lead guide and direct.

My spiritual gifts are in healing, (a nurse for over 40 years); teaching;(Sunday School, Christian education 60 years), Singing in school choir to church all my life till now, and Nursing Home and rehabilitation ministry. I have a torn in my flesh, but God Grace is sacrificing. I can't do anything of myself, i depend on Holy Spirit. 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:53 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4a. I believe it shows they are dysfunctional and immature in their emotional and spiritual development, emotionally wounded and have low self esteem.

Pride seems most often to be an over compensation for insecurity. We are called the "walking wounded" and have been "called out" for shooting our wounded rather than helping to heal one another. My hope is that we pray for those who boast or glorify themselves in their gifting. (I've been healing for years from wounding and abuse....so I recognize my own wounds in others who haven't yet been set free, and thank the Lord for wiser, more kind, mature believers who came along side me rather than to judge or ostracize me....love healed me from the fear and insecurity of using my gifts, rather than pride, but both are hindrance from the flesh and make the gifts "null and void".

b. The gift which is most prevalent is evangelism....but I also have been gifted with encouragement-exhortation. Those often work together. The gift of mercy has come "late to the party" after years of nearly constant trials and tribulation. That gift often functions first now, then leads into the others. I'm a writer and the motivation is to be to encourage others in their faith, and to "make Him known." When I took a "test" for the gifts early on, the only obvious one was evangelism, the others have come along in stages. The main question in helping me determine my gifts was "What is your motivation or passion?" My answer just flew out! "To encourage others to know Christ and to empower them to become all they have been created to be."  

• 1 month later...

Q4. (1 Peter 4:10-11)

Q. If people are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them, what does that say about them?

A. They are taking the glory for themselves instead of ascribing it to God.

Q.  their sense of self-worth? About their maturity?

A. They are immature and consider themselves very important and special.

Q.Their realism?

A. Not realistic.

Q. Their humility?

A. Proud, not humble.

Q. What spiritual gifts has God given you, and how are you using them to his glory?

A. I think God has given the spiritual gifts of teaching, wisdom, administration (some people tell me that). 

I use these in church, work place and at home.

• 1 month later...

When Jesus ministered on earth, we always see the response of the people as that they marveled and glorified God. Jesus said that the Holy Spirit will not speak of Himself, but will speak what He hears and will glorify Jesus. Father says that they vexed His Spirit and that He was grieved. We see the persons in the Godhead speaking of giving glory to the other. But when people promote themselves they are not imitating the example given. Rather than promoting God, they are in a marketing or promotion gimmick that’s seen in the secular world of promoting themselves. They place their worth in themselves and not in God. They have become prideful and lack maturity. They are rather interested in advancing their own kingdom rather than God’s kingdom. Sadly this is the reality that we often see in today’s world and I am really baffled by the longsuffering and patience of God who loves them and will bring them around for His glory.

I believe God has given me the gift of teaching. I enjoy it and love to be used by God to impart spiritual truths for the advancement of the Kingdom of God.

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:53 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

People that promote themselves instead of God are not interested in giving God all the glory, but rather want the glory for themselves. It shows that they have not furthered in spiritual development and they are very proud and not humble people.

God has given me the gift of tongues and encouragement and I use it in areas of my life.

• 5 weeks later...

As we understand that every gifts from God and must be used to glorify His name and not for our benefits. When one begins to promote  themselves and to pointing how God is using them, it shows that they are not recognizing the work of the Holy Spirit and trying to take the glory that is due His name. The works of the Spirit has brought pride instead of humility and self boast instead of boasting in Him. Such give more worth to self than to God, using God’s name to promote self. Also shows lack of character as the person is only in need of power and not live in the character of God. Will feel content when others praise him displaying lack of maturity. This is misrepresentation of God’s leading and is not a good example to the body of Christ. It also portrays lack of humility as the person is not accepting the work and the power of the Holy Spirit.

Spiritual gifts - 

In the walk with God and being involved in ministry, has seen God use me with His spiritual gifts at different occasions for His glory.

Spirit of wisdom and knowledge at use when involved in worship team,  bible study and prayer times. Seen gift of faith to see power of God work through situation which were seemingly impossible by human. Only faith in Him and His power could do that. Seen gift of prophecy during worship leading and exhortation, to bring words which are line with the word preached during service. Discerning of Spirit has been very frequent even during my work as well as in ministry, to discern between good and evil, Spirit of God and spirit of error. Even in the early days of my walk with God in 1993, remember God enabling me with discerning of Spirit to stay away from false teachers and teachings. Am so glad to see in every occasion to see Spirit of God move and use the gifts to ensure His leading and purpose is fulfilled to glorify His name. I recognize each time and thank God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit for His communion and wondrous and marvelous work displayed. Continue in this even today to glorify His name.

• 7 months later...

Q4. (1 Peter 4:10-11) If people are always promoting themselves and pointing to how God is using them, what does that say about them?

It says, they are being prideful, (Proverb 16:18 “Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall”) promoting themselves instead of the one giving the gift. Wanting and needing to be seen by man.

It’s possible that a person that talks about themselves could me seeking help or, learning how to grow in Christ. Pete gave this warning, “14 as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance;15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 1 Peter 1:14-15 (NKJV)

About their maturity?

It’s definite a sign a lack of immaturity and a need to grow in Grace and the knowledge of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ. Therefore, when we submit to God and resist Satan, he will flee from us. James 4:7

Their realism?

It says their practice possibly in the pass is in need of adjustment with the following:2  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. Romans 12:-2 (NKJV)

Their humility?

There is a need to have a lower view of one’s own importance.

I believe I have several gifts that function in. Teaching, speaking in tongues, service, singing, praying for the sick .I serve on the alter call ministry

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

People who always promote themselves and point to how God is using them in my opinion do not probably understand their calling and the whole message of why Jesus left His divinity and came down to this earth, His death and the resurrection.

They may have personality/ Character issues they do not acknowledge or simply would'nt address.

They may not have the mind of Christ.

They do not live their lives in alignment with what the Bible teaches about the will and purpose of God. 

They do not understand that the gifts are not for self promotion or self exaltation.

They lack spiritual understanding and spiritual maturity.

They could be people with low self esteem, unreslistic and prideful. They could be people who are self appointed into a position in the church, not appointed by God.

The scriptures clearly teaches us that we are servants of others and stewards of God's property. We do not own any gifts, we receive them so that we are empowered and equipped to build God's church, so that God's plan and purpose for the body of Christ will be fulfilled on earth. 

We should never take the glory for ourselves but rather always give the glory to God. And like Peter said" so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory and the power forever and ever Amen.( 1 Peter 4: 11b )