JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Prayer and Sensitivity

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus’ prayer life? Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? How does this prepare him for his ministry? Why does Jesus minster through the power of the Spirit instead of in his own power?

• 3 months later...

(Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus’ prayer life?

Going away to pray and listen to his Father.

Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins?

He spends Quiet Time with the Father to hear what he has to say so that he will know what he needs to say and do.

How does this prepare him for his ministry?

It helps him to get ready for what the day may bring.

Why does Jesus minster through the power of the Spirit instead of in his own power?

He recognizes that he can do nothing by himself.

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus’ prayer life? Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? How does this prepare him for his ministry? Why does Jesus minster through the power of the Spirit instead of in his own power?

I see the pattern of Him withdrawing from the crowds into a solitary place to be with the Father and pray.

To know the will of the Father for Him

It helps Him to know what He needs to do next in the ministry He has 

He knows and realizes that He can't do things of His own power. 

What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life?

This is a challenging question for me, mainly because I believe His pattern was to pray w/o ceasing (recurring prayer, not necessarily nonstop talking, more so life communicating; conversing with the Father throughout His life). I feel that He demonstrated a continual attitude of prayer; instantaneous and intimate communication (intimacy) with the Father. He lived in continual God-consciousness, wherein everything He saw and experienced as needed/desired He shared with the Father. His life, as should ours, consisted of  continual prayer/conversations with the Father – all of life’s encounters - success, challenges,  circumstances, situations and/or events become an opportunity to commune with the Father.

He prayed with purpose, according to the Will of God (succinct at times Luke 11:41-42 and/or as needed Luke 6:12), He prayed regularly/routinely Luke 5:16; He prayed intercessory prayers Matthew 19:13; John 17, He prayed with others Luke 9:28; He prayed/communicated with the Father w/o ceasing.

I also agree with ALL that’s written within the lesson (Jesus being quiet (i.e. being in a place of solitude talking, with His Father, Mark 1:33-38), & He also listened, (Luke 4:42; 5:16; 6:12; 9:18, 28b; 11:1; 22:39-41); through communication with the Father learning what to do. The conversations/prayers were monologue; He voiced His needs/concerns; and He also listened. His stepping away from the crowd sets a great example for us!

Why do you think He spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins?

I think He did so as an example for us. I believe He prayed all throughout the day, even so the mornings, perhaps were intentional moments of intimacy, intentional moments with less opportunity for interruptions.  

He was God, He was also a man; being so He did not abuse His divine power. As man He needed time with the Father prior to carrying out the Fathers Will. He sought periods of growth, encouragement, edifying, strengthening, guidance, etc.…

How does this prepare Him for His ministry?

I believe His communicating with the Father prepared Him as met the day, as He met the night. He received that which was needed as He walked according to the Fathers’ instruction, guidance, leading! Hebrews 5:7 During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.

He prayed after monumental crises (John’s beheading); & amplified blessing Matthew 14:23 After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone,

Why does Jesus minster through the power of the Spirit instead of in His own power?

From the lesson: "Jesus doesn't minister on His inherent power as the unique Son of God. Rather, He spends time with the Father to know what the Father is doing. Jesus ministers in the power of the Holy Spirit."

John's Testimony about Jesus: John 3:32-36 [ Verse 34 "For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God; for He gives the Spirit without measure”].

John 5:19 - Therefore Jesus answered and was saying to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner.

John 14:10 - "Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works.    

I think, I believe Jesus ministered through the Power of the Spirit instead of His own to demonstrate to Believers the example that the Father preferred and prefers. Just as in the Book of Beginnings, God said let Us [Genesis 1:26 -  And God said, Let us ...], Jesus lived, moved and had His being in cooperation and coordination with the power of the Holy Spirit within him and the Guidance of The Father. filled with the Spirit.

John 8:27-29 (TPT) - (Even after all of this, they still didn’t realize that He was speaking about His heavenly Father.)

Verse 28 “You will know me as ‘I AM’ after you have lifted me up from the earth as the Son of Man. Then you will realize that I do nothing on my own initiative, but I only speak the truth that the Father has revealed to me.  I am His messenger and He is always with me, for I only do that which delights His heart.”

Jesus was subject to the Father (John 5:30 (TPT) -“Nothing I do is from my own initiative, for as I hear the judgment passed by my Father, I execute judgment. And My judgments will be perfect, because I can do nothing on My own, except to fulfill the desires of My Father who sent Me.)

Jesus did not come to do his own will, but the will of the Father (Luke 22:42 (TPT) - “Father, if you are willing, take this cup of agony away from Me. But no matter what, Your will must be Mine.”)

On 7/23/2018 at 1:55 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

He seeks time of prayer and alone time with his Father every early morning.

I think he spends Quiet time with in the Morning because it is the only time when he can get quiet time, before he starts his day.

He goes to the Father for guidance and direction each day, also to share with the Father what is on his heart.

When Jesus walks the earth he is a man,  he shows his disciples (leading by example) to minster through the power of the Spirit. 

Jesus goes to pray constantly. What a wonderful example He set for us. While Christ is God incarnate, He leads by example. Since Jesus is God on earth and He prays to His Father in heaven, how much more do we need to pray? Praying in the morning because He has a lot going on and He has this private time to pray. 

Through His prayer with the Father, Jesus gets wisdom, guidance, and direction that He us to follow.

None of us can do anything unless empowered by the Holy Spirit. Jesus is empowered by the Holy Spirit.

QUESTION 1_LESSON 10. (Mark 1:33-39)

(Mark 1:33-39) tells us how Jesus would rise up very early in the morning whilst it was still dark and find a quiet place to pray. He could even spend the whole night on the mountainside. Occasionally he would be with his disciples and he would move some distance from them to pray. He would only preach or heal the sick after he had gone through his daily routine of finding a quiet place to pray.

He did not want to be disturbed, he required the peace and tranquility that would be conducive to better communication. He wanted to be given guidance by the Father as well as strategies to employ for his ministry. He needed encouragement and support and reassurance from the Father. 

He was like an athlete who exercises each morning before a race. He would be ready for the day ahead. His mind will be focused and his preaching will have been well prepared. He would be able to handle awkward situations from non-believers. He would have been spiritually strengthened to enable him to cast out demons and heal the sick. He would be in a position to reference his discourse with the Father when dealing with the situation on the ground. 

Why does Jesus minster through the power of the Spirit instead of in his own power?        

Jesus was born of an earthly mother and was therefore like one of us. What made him different was the Holy Spirit he was able to draw power from. This was facilitated by his daily devotion and the time he spent communing with the Father. He would get his brief from the Father before he began his ministry on each day. His intertwining with the Father is explained in (John 5:19) "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does."

Jesus showed us the pattern for communion with God the father.  Each day before sunrise he would go to a solitude place to pray alone. That was his way of talking to his father and giving thanks and for receiving his instructions for the day.  He would often tell his disciples that he does nothing on his own but he does only what his father does and say. Jesus came to do the will of God the father and his prayer time was his way of communing with God to receive his instructions on what was to be done for the day. The only power that we have comes from God the father. Jesus knew this and lived his live according to the will and the power of God the father. God's spirit lives in us to do his will, not our will.  We were created in him for good works, to worship and to do his will.  We are nothing except by his will and grace and mercy. He created us for his glory,  all things come of thee o Lord and of Thine own have we given back to Thee.  I find that my day goes better when I start with prayer praise and worship and it does not have to be long and drawn out just grateful and sincere.  But I also just let the spirit led me when I listen and hear him speak. There are days when I spend all day in bible study and on piano singing and worshipping by myself.  then there are days when I share devotion time with a prayer partner by phone and we can spend 2 or 3 hours just praying and praising and reading scripture and singing hymns and just lifting each other up in prayer.  Communing with God each day is our way of receiving instructions just as Jesus did.  For we are here to do the will of God and how do we know what that is unless we talk and commune with Him? Daily!!

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life? Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? How does this prepare him for his ministry? Why does Jesus minister through the power of the Spirit instead of in his own power?

Jesus continually seeks out a quiet place away from the crowds in order to commune with His father. Sometimes He gets up early in the morning in order to spend time with Him. He uses this time to find out what God, His father wants Him to do. During this time he gets more power and strength from God to do the work appointed for him to do. He needs this time in order to hear God speak to Him and to prepare Himself for the day.

This prepares Him for the ministry by allowing Him to find out what God wants Him to do. It allows Him to be empowered by the Holy Spirit to do all that His father wanted. Jesus could do nothing on His own. He needed god working in Him in order to carry out the Father's plans. Because Jesus was human and divine he could not do it in His own power just like we cannot do it in ours. 

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life? Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? How does this prepare him for his ministry? Why does Jesus minster through the power of the Spirit instead of in his own power?

Jesus like to get away to spend time with in prayer. It also seems like as though He preferred the mornings. Probably because at the beginning of the day, after some sleep the clutter which gathers in the mind has largely dissipated. Not only that, but it seems as though people chased after Him relentlessly once they started waking and that would have left no time to communicate with His (Our) Father during any other part of the day. The quiet of the morning, in my opinion is the best time of the day anyway. Your senses are as sharp as they are going to get and your ability to hear is at its best. I learned when I was still in school that you could curl up under a tree in the woods just before the sun come up and in time my ears began to be able to distinguish the difference between a chipmunk, squirrel, deer, and by far the easiest, a human walking through fallen leaves in the fall of the year. It was much later in life that I would hear the voice of God on one of them mornings, and it was an unforgettable experience. Even these days, I love the morning and listening to God speak is the most wonderful experience a person could ask for. Especially when you let Him do all the talking. Sometimes it is over a question on something that might be bugging me, and the answer is seldom what I expect to hear. Not that the subject isn’t addressed but the words are often 180 degrees out from what I am expecting but He never puts me to sleep out of boredom, that is for sure.

This would have helped prepare Jesus for the often-long day ahead, which probably more times than not would have carried well into the evening. He had to find out though what to expect, where to go, what to avoid, etc. as He carried out His ministry.  

The fact that Jesus received His power from God via the Holy Spirit is proof that He came to us the way He did in order to live the life of 100% man, totally removed from the Heavenly glory He left behind to bring the salvation He brought. He could not have set the example He did otherwise because if He had come under the power He had before He came, He would not have depended on our Father and the Holy Spirit the way He did. The life He led clearly showed how we can be successful in life if we live the way He lived. It is possible, even 2000 years later to follow His example despite the obstacles and road blocks which often stop us from doing so. What I just said truly tells me that I have a long way to go. I love the encouragement I get taking these online studies, especially now that I have got over the fact that what I read is meant for me all of the time and not for people who come to mind like in the early days of me knowing Jesus. I may have come a long way, but I have a long  way to go.

Jesus always found time to pray to His father for guidance. 

He spends quiet time to commune with His Father to determine what He has to do.

This quiet time enables Jesus to talk with His Father and learn the will of His Father.  Jesus knows that everything He does is dependent on His Father’s will.

Jesus ministers through the Holy Spirit because it keeps him connected to God and enables Him to continue God's work of teaching, healing.

Q10.1       (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life?   

Jesus was and is a Team player.    Jesus sort refuge and direction in His daily prayer life. On many occasions in scripture this is evidenced where we see Him looking to be alone in the flesh yet together in the Spirit. 

*     Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins?     

There is a 'WAR' going on.  A Spiritual war where Jesus is in the enemy territory and constant communications with the 'Home base'  is vital.  Spending time with 'the Father ' is like a direct line to the General who gives out the daily orders to His army.  Jesus knows the Father only has the best in mind for Him yet the mission comes first and the Father General is in charge of 'when' things happen as well as where and with whom the interaction should be with.                            

*    How does this prepare him for his ministry?       

This constant , daily, communications with the Father assures Him that the mission, His Ministry , will go exactly as was planned before he embarked from Heaven. 

*     Why does Jesus minster through the power of the Spirit instead of in his own power?

Part of Jesus mission assignment was to train up recruits to continue on after He departed. Doing things on His own would lead His Disciples to have false pride to think they also could accomplish GOD's work in the Flesh.  By 'Submitting to the Voice and power of the Holy Spirit' , this  allowed Jesus to do the miracle things he did, as well as go through all the suffering unto death as He did. He lead by example that all things would be possible to those working for the Kingdom of GOD;  by praying to the Father and listening to the Holy Spirit and obeying the directions given them ,  seeking GOD daily for best results.  

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) 
Why do you think He spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? 
How does this prepare Him for His ministry? 
Why does Jesus minster through the power of the Spirit instead of in His own power?

The pattern we see is one of seeking a quiet place free from distraction. In this passage of Scripture, Jesus even makes an extra effort by getting up early to be alone with the Father. Even though Jesus was the Son of God, He knew the importance of solitary prayer time. He didn’t do anything on His own initiative but instead lived in total dependence upon the Father, acting only on the instructions God communicated to Him. He spends this Quiet Time to obtain the strength and guidance needed for the task ahead. Jesus had a mission to fulfil and only His death on the Cross would accomplish Salvation. To achieve this, He needed to remain focused on the task ahead, and He did this by being in constant touch with the Father. The disciples felt Jesus was making a mistake by slipping away quietly to a lonely place to pray. They wanted Him to make full use of the great opportunity the recent publicity had brought them. Of course, at this time, they did not know Jesus’ ultimate purpose was to be a Saviour and not a miracle-worker. Jesus had the power to do anything by Himself, but although He is fully equal to God He, as man here on earth, is not independent from God. He was so vitally linked to God the Father and therefore could not act independently. Jesus is fully God, however, when He came down to dwell among us, He voluntarily laid aside certain divine powers. That is why He could say that He can do nothing by Himself. This was for Him to be totally dependent on the Father while here on earth. This He did, for we always notice that Jesus acted in harmony and subordination to the Father’s will. Jesus said, “Whatever the Father does the Son also does” (5:19) confirming His divinity. Only someone who is equal to the Father could do everything He does. Also in John 10:30 Jesus also said “I and the Father Are One”. Since they are one in being, that is, one eternal God, to see Christ act is to see God act. Jesus is not only equal to God (Philippians 2:6), He is God (John 10:38; 12:45), as the visible image of the invisible God He is the exact representation of God. 

On 7/23/2018 at 1:55 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.  He would arise early and go to a private place where he could be alone with the Father, who he was totally dependent upon.

b.  He was a man.  He needed strength for the day and needed to hear from God the Father. especially with all the peoples needs.   He was a man dependent on hearing from God and working in partnership with God to heal an deliver.  An example of what we should be doing.  Without me you can do nothing. He was fully God and fully man but only did what he saw the Father doing.  

c.  Spending time in fellowship and prayer prepared him for ministry. 

d.  He had no power as a man in the flesh but the power to heal an deliver comes from the power of the Holy Spirit.

Q 1. (Mark 1: 33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus’ prayer life? Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? How does this prepare him for his ministry? Why does Jesus minister through the power of the Spirit instead of in his own power?

Q a. The pattern we see emerging in Jesus ‘prayer life is the same throughout the Old Testament and New Testament, to find a quiet place to pray and listen to His Father.

Q b. It was the best time for him to be alone, as people sought after him for healing and casting out demons.

Q c. A pattern of praying prepared him for his ministry for Jesus stated “..the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.”(John 5:19)

Q d. Jesus minister through the power of the Spirit because of the oneness he had with his Father to know what to do.

LESSON 10. Listening for the Holy Spirit's Voice.
God's Voice as a Bible Pattern.
Jesus Prays in a Solitary Place (Mark 1:33-38).
The Son Can Do Nothing by Himself (John 5:19).

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life?

ANS: Q 1:1 Jesus prays in a solitary place. He has a quiet time. It is his characteristic pattern.

Mark 1: 35 Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.

"At daybreak Jesus went out to a solitary place...." (Luke 4:42)
"Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed." (Luke 5:16)
He practices Listening for God's voice which is a Bible pattern that we see throughout the Old and New Testaments. Jesus demonstrated before his disciples a pattern of getting away to a solitary place to talk to his Father (Mark 1:33-38). It was there he learned what to say and do (Luke 4:42; 5:16; 6:12; 9:18, 28b; 11:1; 22:39-41).

a). Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins?

ANS: Q 1 a: To commune with God, to listen for God's whispers so that he might be ready for the day he brings to us. To receive marching orders for the day. Jesus has a relationship with God therefore he makes time to fellowship with him. To listen, hear and see. He totally depends upon him. Rather, he spends time with the Father to know what the Father is doing. 

"I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees[210] his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does." (John 5:19)

b). How does this prepare him for his ministry?

ANS: Q 1 b: It helps him to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit since Jesus ministers in the power of the Holy Spirit. Listening to his Father was the lifeline for his life and ministry.

c). Why does Jesus minster through the power of the Spirit instead of in his own power?

ANS: Q 1 ? The Holy Spirit provides the channel for God's communications to him. We see this by examining Jesus' own patterns. Jesus became man and therefore cannot do alone without the help of God Holy Spirit.

(Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life? Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? How does this prepare him for his ministry? Why does Jesus minster through the power of the Spirit instead of in his own power?

1. Jesus prays in a solitary place.

2. Going away to pray and listen to God is a vital pattern and to know what the father’s will is. He was also an example to the disciples, letting them know to pray in solitary.

3. He is able to listen to the father and know what is to be done that day.

4. He can do nothing by himself, but with the help of the father. He spends time with the Father to know what the Father is doing and then do what the father does.

The pattern that Jesus teaches us to stay connected to the Father for his will to be done.

He spent quiet time with the Father so that he wouldn't get distracted on what the day will bring.

Jesus prepare for his ministry by seeking the Father first.

He minister through the spirit since the spirit know the thought of the Father and not to learn on his own understanding. He is teaching us to inmate him so we can know the will of the Father. Jesus was all God and all human but he demonstrating his human side .

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life?

We see that Jesus spends quiet and lone time with his father on a regular basis.  Going away to pray and listen to his Father is a vital pattern in Jesus' life.

Jesus spends quiet time with the Father to seek Gods will for his ministry and Gods plans for the day.

It helps him to seek God's will and revelation of God's plans for his life.

God the Holy Spirit connects Jesus to the Father during his earthly ministry as the son of man.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:55 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

He Q1. (Mark 1:33-39) What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus’ prayer life? Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins? How does this prepare him for his ministry? Why does Jesus minster through the power of the Spirit instead of in his own power?

Q1a. I see Him going out early in the morning alone before daylight to a deserted place to pray. V.35. 

1b. My experience has been that is the best time to be alone, to be quiet, to listen without distractions. A fresh start to a new day before all of the needs and noise press in. He is our example and I'm so grateful to Him for teaching me to do the same. This is the time I usually hear Him speaking to my heart when I'm the most teachable! I ask for His agenda for the day and to lead me to where He wants me to go. 

1c. He opened His heart and mind to His Father to seek His will and plan for that day, rather than relying on his own wisdom. He was/is always in submission to His Father. I love the verse in Psalm 37:23 "The steps of a good man are directed and established by the Lord when He delights in his way (and He busies Himself with his every step."  George Mueller wrote beside that verse in his Bible..."and his stops"....I've written the same in mine, because the stops are also His way of leading and caring for us.

1d. Jesus was/is an obedient Son...and knew that His purpose on earth was to accomplish the complete will of His Father while here. Surrender to His Father empowered Him to do all that He accomplished, from His first steps until His last breath was breathed out on the Cross.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 12:55 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

It is becoming more difficult for Jesus to pray to His Father uninterrupted because of all the multitude of people seeking Him.  Yet, He still goes away from crowds to a mountain or other desolate places.  Because Jesus Christ is finishing the work that God sent Him to finish.  God gives Jesus power to work all the miracles for the day and what to speak to the people for the day.  Because it’s the Holy Ghost that has God’s plan for Jesus Christ to work.

• 1 month later...

I see that Jesus is always trying to get away to pray in silence so that he can do the Fathers work. I think that he spends quiet time with the Father before the day begins because he wants to know what the Father has planned for the day. Jesus ministers through the power of the Holy Spirit because he knows he need all the help that he can get.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Mark 1:33-39)

Q. What pattern do you see emerging in Jesus' prayer life?

A. He creates time to be alone to communicate with the Father

Q. Why do you think he spends Quiet Time with the Father before the day begins?

A. He wants absolute uninterrupted/ undisturbed communication with Him. He also is teaching us same principle.

Q. How does this prepare him for his ministry?

A. This enables Him to hear from the Father what to do and when to do it.

Q. Why does Jesus minister through the power of the Spirit instead of in his own power?

A. He wants to ensure that whatever he does is divinely given to him from above as He depended on God for every thing He does while here on earth

• 2 months later...

Jesus enjoyed His times with His Father and He often withdrew from the busyness of life to spend time with the Father. Nothing would deter Him from making that divine appointment very early each day of His earthly ministry. He often withdrew into a solitary place so that He could spend His quiet time before any distractions sweeps in. He knew the important of being with the Father.

Jesus was very busy indeed, during His time of ministry. In that short 3 ½ years He impacted many people. But His compassion for the people did not supersede nor override God’s plan for His life. He sought that from His Father each day so that what He needed to do each day was chartered out to Him beforehand. All these were communicated to Him during the time He spent with His Father. Because He was in so much sync with the Father, He accomplished everything that was intended for Him to do. There was no wasted moments, no wasted hours, and no wasted years. All was carried out according to His perfect plan.

Jesus was fully God, but He emptied Himself of His divine characteristics while on earth and lived with the limitations of a human being. So He needed the power of the Holy Spirit to do all things as required by the Father. There was no insubordination to the Father, He was completely surrendered to the will of the Father. To do His will and to be completely surrendered was possible through the Holy Spirit who revealed the mind of the Father to Him continually.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:55 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Jesus always makes sure He sets aside time to spend time with God the Father and pray to Him. He spends Quiet Time with the Father so that the Father can rely to Him the work for the day and Jesus can carry it out. This prepares Him for ministry because He is in constant communication with the Father and the Father and work through Him. Since Jesus came to Earth as a man, He needs to minister through the power of the Spirit.