JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Spirit's Voice and Nudges

• 3 months later...

I would say that for me it means learning to be obedient to God and be patient and not jump to conclusions and think He is speaking to me when in fact He is not and it is my desire overriding Him. It also means learning to start with prayer daily and waiting for Him to speak to me. Since He is the one who died for me to live for Him. For the nudges it would be learning to wait on Him to give a go ahead to do something or act upon something. For me to sensitize myself more to it would be to spend more time in prayer and praise and less time on the internet checking my email. 

How would you differentiate between (1) the Spirit's voice and (2) the Spirit nudge or prompting?

As for me this is a difficult question to answer, for me the two are close, near. His voice -the Spirit’s nudging both are guiding influence spoken into my life.

Nonetheless, to answer the question I guess I could differentiate in this sense I hear His voice more acutely as I surrender (when I’m caught up in my right now, or when I like Balaam walk with a fixed mind instead of a transformed mind); (when I study His Word and do not gain understanding, as I rest He speaks to me providing guidance liberally.

I receive nudges from Him in my everyday living (the nudge maybe as I hear a song; see the beauty of/in the day His created glory; viewing life lived out/seeing someone in need; when my walk isn’t vulgar, [closer to ethical/morally sound (self-righteous)], yet lacking (minus Micah 6:6-8; and/or when I’m caught up in my right now).

What can you do to sensitize yourself to His voice and promptings?

Colossians 3:1-4, being that I have been raised up and abide in Christ; daily with His help I strive to mortify my desires differing and not aligning with His, so that I can focus on my relationship with Him as I walk in faith, (John 10:4,14, 27), hearing His voice.

Nudging/prompting - Therefore see that you walk carefully [living life with honor, purpose, and courage; shunning those who tolerate and enable evil], not as the unwise, but as wise [sensible, intelligent, discerning people],

His voice; His nudging/prompting both will align with His Word and His Character, my prayers are to be sensitive to His leading be it His voice and/or His nudging/prompting.

The Father communicates through His Word; He communicates through the Holy Spirit; He communicates through situations, events, and circumstances of our lives; He communicates through the people in our lives (within and beyond our circle of influence), as I press into Him my desire is the hear His voice over all voice that do not align with His. 

How would you differentiate between (1) the Spirit's voice and (2) the Spirit nudge or prompting?

The Spirit's voice speaks to us in words.  The Spirit nudge does not have alot of words but clear directions in what God wants you do do.

I can sensitize myself to His voice and promptings by spending more time with God.  Reading God's word, praising Him, praying to Him are all things that I do to spend more time with God.  But nothing is more important that just being quiet and listen for a word from the Lord.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:57 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. How would you differentiate between (1) the Spirit's voice and (2) the Spirit nudge or prompting? What can you do to sensitize yourself to His voice and promptings?

The Spirit's voice is a small soft voice from inside, the Spirit's nudge or prompting when you feel the need to do something or go somewhere.

I can slow down in my life more, stop worrying about what has to get done and spend more time at the Lord's feet listening and learning, to stop always being in a rush.

The Spirit’s voice is Him speaking to you in words and being a believer, you can hear it.  The Spirit’s nudge is a prompt, a feeling you might get, a guidance to do something.

I have to really find a quiet time to concentrate on His word, pray, obey Him.  Live a life for Him. 

Q3. How would you differentiate between (1) the Spirit's voice and (2) the Spirit nudge or prompting? What can you do to sensitize yourself to His voice and promptings?

I would have to say that in my own life a nudge is when I am directed to give more money than my usual amount to the church or someone else. And His voice is when I have been told to pray for or lay my hands on someone for healing. Like when God told me to go and do it for my daughter. 

I think one of the ways I can be more sensitive is to spend more time in the Word and prayer and more time confessing my sins to Him. If I am not repentant or willing to change then He cannot use me.

QUESTION 3_LESSON 10

The Spirit’s voice can be soft but it will have clear detailed information or instructions to guide you. On the other hand, when the spirit nudges or prompts it’s like hints and not necessary a complete instruction. It will be like getting a few clues to solve a puzzle.

I can start by improving my relationship with God. This can be achieved by establishing a habit of putting aside a slot for Quiet Time in order to be better placed to listen and get acquainted to God. I can also start a habit of asking myself where I had seen God lately. This will make me alert to what happens around me and be able to see patterns and attributes of events and incidents that point me to God.   

Q10.3      How would you differentiate between (1) the Spirit's voice and (2) the Spirit nudge or prompting?       

As a Believer our ears become more intune the voice of the Spirit, much like a mother can tell the sound of her child crying in the midst of multiple children crying, our spiritual ear gets fine tuned to the still Quiet voice of the HOLY SPIRIT.   The thoughts we hear are clear and precise.    But when we are not focused He has to nudge us and its more of a feeling to do "something".    At that point it is best to call upon the Spirit for more exact directions, and not proceed by what we 'think'  it means .

*     What can you do to sensitize yourself to His voice and promptings?
Refocusing and refreshing our minds on the things of God when we realize we have strayed or wondered. When the things of this world seem to be more important or nothings going right it is a good sign that we have strayed. Find a closet or a 'phone booth' if needed but get away and get with the Holy Spirit and 'listen' ....  listen good. !

Q3. How would you differentiate between (1) the Spirit's voice and (2) the Spirit nudge or prompting? 
What can you do to sensitize yourself to His voice and promptings? 

The primary way God speaks to us is through His Word. Being led by the Holy Spirit involves the desire to hear, the readiness to obey God's Word, and the sensitivity to discern between our feelings and His promptings – are our spiritual ears open or not? This allows us to discern between God’s true voice, and the promptings we will receive, from all the other voices we are exposed to – our own conscience, the flesh, the world, and the devil. However, we need to be often in prayer, and there has to be a willingness in allowing the Holy Spirit to use our thinking, our feelings, and certain circumstances to make His guidance clear. Any of our thoughts, or voices, or promptings we may have must be compared to His Word for approval, for it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart: “For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart” (Hebrews 4:12). If it goes against what Scripture says, then we know it cannot be from God and it must be rejected at once.
We can sensitise ourselves to His voice and His promptings by living each day controlled and guided by the Holy Spirit. We will then find that the words of Christ will be in our mind, the love of Christ will be behind our actions, and the power of Christ will help us control our selfish desires. God does speak to us, but the problem is that we do not always listen or heed His advice – there must be the willingness to obey. We need to be especially attentive to His Word, church sermons, our conscience, certain events, and fellow believers. It is the Holy Spirit that helps us in hearing and understanding our Heavenly Father. Every day He speaks to us, it might be a caution or encouragement, some precept or promise, some invitation or warning, some understanding or even a forbidding.

Q3. How would you differentiate between (1) the Spirit's voice and (2) the Spirit nudge or prompting? What can you do to sensitize yourself to His voice and promptings? 

I would look at a nudge or prompt when I get an impulse to do something, even if it would be in reply to a question. There was a time when I asked God to guide my footsteps (in a physical sense), and as I was walking down a road I suddenly felt an urge to make a deviation from the course I would normally have taken, and as things would go I came upon a yard sale and there was a small glass top dining room table with 4 chairs, which was something I needed at the moment and as things would go the person was having a hard time selling it and all but gave it to me. That, I would classify as a nudge. I find it kind of hard to describe what just what a “nudge” is coming from the Holy Spirit because just like the example I just gave, they are things which just happen, whether or not it requires action on my part.

Hearing the Spirit’s voice, on the other hand is something I experience often, and I think the reason is that I don’t readily understand things as quick as most people and I often find myself asking questions which I believe only God can give me the answer I will understand and am looking for. On the other hand, however I have heard the Spirit’s voice at times telling me in a very direct, matter of fact way with an exclamation mark about something I need to get straightened out before it escalates into a situation which will cause problems with unpleasant results. I won’t go into details on this one too much, but the first time this ever happened to me, I was out in the woods on a cold winter morning hunting and there was a certain something causing me torment and all of a sudden it was like I could hear a voice booming across the mountains telling me to forgive the person involved.

To sensitize one’s self to His voice and promptings, I would suggest claiming a space as a prayer closet. It doesn’t necessarily have an actual closet or private room or secluded place out in the middle of the woods, but anywhere you can meet with God one-on-one privately. It could mean getting up early in the morning while everyone else is sleeping or the exact opposite. Whatever works for you is perfect. The main thing is that you can ask God questions, tell Him what’s going on in your life, pretty much a time and place where you can discuss anything. God is your father, and like the caring father he is, He is interested in what is going on with you and wants to hear it from you. I remember a pastor once telling how he would sit down and even ask God to have a seat on the couch with him (a courtesy I would be willing to bet not many people offer), and just have a conversation. Of course, it must be remembered that if you’re going to have a conversation with anyone you need to listen as well as talk. Imagine going to school and presenting the answers to your teacher ahead of any questions you might have for them.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:57 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.  As I am in prayer in the morning thanking God for being able to move, hear, see, (the things we take for granted) and thanking Him for who He is , the Spirit gives me words of praise for worshiping Him and it just flows until I start thinking up words myself.

b.  The Spirit nudges and prompts me when I start to say something I shouldn't.  In my giving - when I try to give a smaller amount and there is a bigger bill in my purse.  In giving dessert to someone - to give them the bigger piece.  Little things that keep me from being selfish.

c.  Be more filled up with more of Him,  than what self wants and tuning into His frequency.

Q 3. How would you differentiate between (1) the Spirit’s voice and (2) the Spirit nudge or prompting? What can you do to sensitize yourself to His voice and promptings?

3 a. The Spirit’s voice is often quiet and soft such as 1 King 19:11-12, I have heard his voice in directing me of what to do, in a life death situation. At the time not  thinking but knowing how to react

3 b. A Spiritual nudge or prompting is an awareness to do, or go not knowing why, I have experienced this on several occasion, not realizing I was being nudged by the Holy Spirit. All are in agreement, in one voice, the Holy Spirit.

3 c I found that focusing on God’s word and spending quality time in His presence, early in the morning with songs, prayer and praise helps me to sensitize myself to His voice. His word, and pray set my pace for the day. This class also, have made me more aware to listen to His voice.

Lesson 10.
God's Voice and God's Nudges.
God's Voice (Words).
The Spirit's Nudges (Acts 8:26-38)
Where Have You Seen God Lately?

Q3. How would you differentiate between
(1) the Spirit's voice: and
(2) the Spirit nudge or prompting?

ANS: Q 3:1 The Holy Spirit voice is mostly in words. It might be soft and calm or quiet. It may guide, it may be comforting and it can also bring rebuke. In the Bible, the Spirit sometimes speaks to believers in words -- sentences with content -- such as instructions e.g. to Ananias (Acts 9:10-19), comfort to Paul regarding his "thorn in the flesh" (2 Corinthians 12:9), and instructions to Samuel on how to anoint David king (1 Samuel 16:1-2

Q 3:2 Sprit Nudges - Not a lot of words are given. Not much deep content, but with clear direction. But "prompting" you to do something, in articulate leadings, that consist usually of brief instructions.

a). What can you do to sensitize yourself to His voice and promptings?

ANS: Q 3 a: Be certain you have heard correctly. As we become aware of what God is doing, we become aware of his nudges. Eventually, we recognize the Spirit's nudges and act on them as second nature. But to begin with, we need to be sensitized to where God is working around us. So to begin your sensitization process, ask: God when he doesn't tell us everything that will happen. But he will often tell us the next step. It's a nudge, a prompting. When we obey that, he gives us another nudge. Soon we are in place to see God do something marvelous.

1.  I can hear his voice speaking to me. The way he nudges or prompts is to direct me clearly or fix things whereas I can only do what he wants me to do. Knowing that he is guiding me and giving me an unction to do something.

2.  As we spend quiet time with God our relationship with him deepens. We get to know him better which helps us to be more sensitive to him. 

• 2 weeks later...

In the Bible, the Spirit sometimes speaks to believers in words,sentences with content -- such as instructions to Ananias (Acts 9:10-19), comfort to Paul regarding his "thorn in the flesh" (2 Corinthians 12:9), and instructions to Samuel on how to anoint David king (1 Samuel 16:1-2).

God also leads us through nudges, in articulate leadings, that consist usually of brief instructions. We see this in Philip's ministry to the Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 8:26-27) and Paul's Second Missionary Journey (Acts 16:6-10).

To be sensitive to hearing God's voice I must tune myself to hearing in quiet time.  It is all about relationship. As we spend time with God our relationship with him deepens. We get to know him better, so we're more sensitive to him. Our devotional time ought to include some time when we're silent before him. Sometimes during those times, thoughts will begin to form in our minds, perhaps actual words from God.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:57 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3a. I've found His promptings to be more subtle, more like an impression. When I was driving and was lost (I have a terrible sense of direction!) and I asked Him for help, there was just a nudge to turn right at the next corner and then the next left when I was approaching a cross street and after driving in circles He led me home.

Recently, one day after seeing a homeless man I'd noticed before and had been praying for him as I'd seen him pushing his grocery cart of belongings, I felt a nudge to stop and chat with him. He was very ill with a large wound on his hand oozing green pus. We chatted and introduced ourselves and he allowed me to pray with him for healing and to affirm God's love for him. Several weeks later when I saw him again he stuck out his hand and it was 99% healed.

Another fun example was in Carmel walking on the beach after a lovely weekend and was looking for a special shell or little rock to remind me of the blessing of being there. But there was not a shell or rock to be found as the tide was in. I felt a nudge to look up and noticed two men walking toward me and as we passed each other, one man reached out and without a word, put something in my hand. I smiled and said "Thank you!" as he kept walking away and I continued on my way.  It was a 1 1/2"  rough red heart shaped rock with a small hole worn in it and when I turned it over there was a small hole in the other side. I immediately thought of Jesus and the spear plunged into his heart on the cross after He died. With tears I said Thank You, Papa, for this beautiful token and reminder that I'm in Your heart and  that You live in mine....always listening for my voice! And thank you for that man who felt nudged to give me the treasure he'd found!

I've only heard His audible voice one time...when I'd told Him I'd love to hear Him say my name..(I'm almost never called by my name....usually nicknames. My name means "God is gracious")  Much later having forgotten I'd asked, one morning as I was opening my eyes from sleep I heard His voice say my name! The most beautiful Sound!!!! Gentle and beautiful! 

I've "heard" His command voice  in my spirit one time when I was in grave danger and had no idea! I was alone in a wilderness area several miles away from any population, in my car in the winter reading my Bible, praying and writing about my troubled thoughts in my journal. There was no one around for miles and I felt perfectly safe in my car! In my spirit I "heard" GO NOW! it was urgent but not scary! I dropped my pen and journal, started the car and circled the large parking area toward the only entrance/exit which was a narrow short driveway. As I was in that short confined space I passed a man in a black car coming in. I looked over and was looking into the eyes of sheer evil....2 feet away! The hair on the back of my neck literally stood on end! Shaking then, I drove quickly away realizing If I hadn't obeyed that very moment, I would have been trapped and no one would have heard my cries for help. I said "Lord! What evil did you just save me from????"  Only He knows! How I thank Him for speaking, warning and protecting  us.

Most often I "hear" His quiet voice in my mind teaching me, reassuring me, correcting me, giving me direction or scripture I need to hear or as I listen to someone speaking, He may give me the sense that what I'm hearing is meant for me from His heart.

I think the key to being sensitive to His voice it to understand and know that He is always speaking, always trying to make Himself known to our world, and to practice His Presence in our daily walk so that we're always listening for Him. 

Where have I seen Him lately? Just this week after praying for the means to go to a pilates class, knowing it's expensive and was impossible! One of my brothers who has always sent $50.00 for my birthday (it's on Christmas and he thinks I get cheated!)….I opened my card and there was a check for $1,000.00! He lives across the country and I hadn't mentioned my prayer or desire to anyone! Only God could have nudged him to do that! I'm filled with gratitude, wonder and praise!

• 1 month later...

I seem to get the Spirit’s nudging or prompting most of the time but I don’t know about the Spirit’s voice. There has been times when a person has advised me and I am thinking that this is the Spirit speaking through them. I think you can sensitize yourself to His voice and promptings by doing what He is telling you to do.

Q3.

Q. How would you differentiate between (1) the Spirit's voice and (2) the Spirit nudge or prompting?

A. The Spirit nudge is a prompting that may come in bits of instructions or answers while the spirit voice is a clear audible communication from God that conveys information/ directive

Q. What can you do to sensitize yourself to His voice and promptings

A. Create time for a closer relationship with Him through quality quiet time involving reading/ meditation and listening to him to give me a nudge or speak clearly.

• 2 months later...

The Spirit’s voice is in words making the thoughts and impressions very clear as to what He wants to do through me. His nudges or promptings do not give a complete picture but just the word or thought or impression, to take the step at that point of time. When obedience is followed by me, then He reveals another step to take.

By spending time with Him and learning to distinguish His voice among the chatter of many voices that come bombarding at me. Spending quiet time with Him is the most essential thing to do. Also we need to be spending time in the word, for the His voice will never contradict His word.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:57 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The difference between the Spirit's voice and the Spirit nudging you is that He can talk directly to you with words, such as when you're reading the Word and you get a revelation or when you actually hear His voice. The Spirit nudges you by pushing you in the direction He wants you to walk in. We can sensitize ourselves to the Spirit's voice and promptings by building a closer relationship with Him and expecting to hear from Him.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. How would you differentiate between (1) the Spirit's voice and (2) the Spirit nudge or prompting? What can you do to sensitize yourself to His voice and promptings?

Spirit’s voice is audible voice in words. Scripture records many occasions where God speaks audibly. While the nudge or prompting is not much words or details, only giving clear direction. To be sensitive to God’s voice and nudgings or promptings, you have to be aware of God’s work around you. Once you begin to understand what God is working out, you will be able to understand these voice or nudges to follow the direction of the Spirit. The more you become sensitive to these voices and nudges, more you will be able to follow the leading of the Holy Spirit and see the work of God around you. To listen and obey will lead to next step to hear God’s voice or nudges. God reveals His direction step by step and as we hear and obey Him, we are led by His Spirit step by step in His direction.

• 7 months later...

Q3. How would you differentiate between (1) the Spirit's voice and (2) the Spirit nudge or prompting?

We see clear example in both Old and New Testament. God spoke to Moses on Mount Sinai and also Abraham, (Genesis 15-18,) Issacs (Genesis 26:2) and Jacob. (Genesis 35:1) in the New Testament He spoke to Paul, Ananias in Acts 9:10-19.

"God also leads us through nudges, in articulate leading, that consist usually of brief instructions. You see this in Philip's ministry to the Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 8:26-27) and Paul's Second Missionary Journey (Acts 16:6-10)".

I find that my quiet time in reading and studying His word,helps me to be  sensitize both to his voice and nudge  

• 10 months later...

A Spirit voice is often small but instructive when in dire need or direct communication with God, my spirit in touch with the Spirit.

A nudge is a by product or when one is in practiced permanent relationship with God. It is like "an invisible switch or sensor". In case of danger it stops one from doing something but in need or task to be done directs you. Nudging is an action in a relationship. More of conscience or debate within self. I had similar experience, a speech in me to be delivered at a funeral of a friend but failed to obey it because I was not in the programme. Those nominated failed to arrive but still could not take the chance because of doubt in me has now taken over.