JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. God's Presence

• 3 months later...

Q11.2     Why is character change directly related to time deliberately spent in God's presence?     

Like taking your vitamins in the morning, every morning, will replenish and nourish your body and what it needs, so it is with the precious time spent in the presence of the Lord. The more time , the more the transition of seeing Christ grow in you. Your heart is for the things HE wants for thats where His daily voice directs us. 

*      Have you noticed a change in the "degree of glory" you're experiencing now compared to a few years ago?     *     Why or why not?        (2 Corinthians 3:18)    

Actually for me the "degree of Glory " was stronger before i married.   Once in a while i get to glimpse it here and there, and those times are precious and sweet. 

Although i would to be there daily, life still manages to get in the way of that quality time i once had.  I  once had the ability to spend four plus hours in prayer  , today that is few and far between. I still pray for that hunger to return and i know someday soon it will.     

"And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit." (2 Corinthians 3:18, ESV)

Why is character change directly related to time deliberately spent in God's presence?

Incidental, spontaneous, deliberate, any time spent before the Lord as we give Him our devotion, our focus, our attention as we contemplate upon Him, meditate on Him, and commune with Him through the Holy Spirit, we are being transformed into His likeness. 

Moses saw the bush, God got His attention, while in His presence God begin ministering to Him, the more time Moses spent with God after this encounter to more he begin to reflect the likeness of God when he didn’t place his desires first.

As we too with open face behold the glory of the Lord, we to can experience from glory to glory, from faith to faith, from strength to strength, from grace to grace by the Spirit of the Lord.

Have you noticed a change in the "degree of glory" you're experiencing now compared to a few years ago?

Yes

Why or why not?

As I’m growing in the Lord, I’ve learned He speaks even if there’s havoc, chaos, adversity; I’ve learned He answers all prayers; I’ve learned He has a permissive will just as He has a divine will.

I’ve learned some with the intent to comfort will share sentiments such as: God will not give you more than you can handle even though God did not say likewise.  As I have moved from glory to glory, hearing His voice, I hear Him say as He did to Elijah 1st Kings 19:7, “Arise and eat; because the journey is too great for thee” I have a way for you; I hear Him remind me to come unto Him (Matthew 11:28); I hear Him remind me to Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you (1st Peter 5:7).

As I’m growing, moving from one degree of glory to another, I’m learning more about “why not me” more so than “why me”; I’m learning what do you want me to do more so than what do I do.   

Q2. (2 Corinthians 3:18) Why is character change directly related to time deliberately spent in God's presence? Have you noticed a change in the "degree of glory" you're experiencing now compared to a few years ago? Why or why not?

Character change only comes when we spend more time with God and meditate on Him and His Word. We can not hope to be like Him if we do not spend time getting to know Him first. The more time we spend with Him and really read His Word and listen to what He says; then the more we will look like Him. The more others will see and notice the change.

Now I have changed how I treat others and how I react to people. I am trying to be more like Him by learning to talk to him more throughout the day and listening more to the Spirit.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 3:18) Why is character change directly related to time deliberately spent in God's presence? Have you noticed a change in the "degree of glory" you're experiencing now compared to a few years ago? Why or why not?

Character change comes as a result of who you spend your time with. If a child grows up on a farm learning about things like hard work, odds are he/she will be a hard worker in life. Not just a farm, but anywhere, or any type of work. The examples could go on forever, but I think what I’m saying is clear. Kids today can sue their parents over things we accepted as part of life, such as punishment proportionate to the offense. The paddle was a common sound in the halls of the school I attended but not surprisingly, the amount of people who went on to have brushes with the law were few. At any rate, a person becomes what their environment dictates, especially at a young age. A person who spends much time in God’s presence will be much easier to get along with than a person whose life is based in crime.

Have I noticed a change in the degree of glory I’m experiencing now compared to a few years ago? Before I saw this question, I saw something similar in the week 11 growth assignment and decided to ask my wife. Was that being bold? I knew she would be 100% honest with me. I was like the kid back in school hoping I would get an “A” on the test as the answer came out. Okay, I didn’t get an “A”, but I didn’t totally flunk either. If the highest passing grade was due, it was probably for either because of being brave (or crazy) enough to ask for the answer. Anyway, looking back I can see where I might have made some improvement, but I also know now of the many improvements I could work on. Perhaps over the last 15 years it would be easier to see the progress made. I know for a fact though that nobody but myself is to blame for time not spent with God, either in His Word, one-on-one sessions, doing His work, etc.

As we spend more and more time in His presence, we are being transformed into the person He wants us to be. God is perfect in every way, most holy most high, reign for ever and ever. We take on Christ like character and it does change our thinking and attitude. This growth is a daily process the we choose to do and follow.

I can look back and see a big change in the way was as compared to how I am now. 2 Corinthians 5:17 tells us "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: the old has gone, the new is here."

Character change is important because God is the one who changes you and I and everyone else who is a Christian into a more complete image of a Christian or a little Christ. Yes I have noticed that a great deal through the time I spend with the Lord. I long to spend more time with Him.

QUESTION 2^LESSON 11 (2 Corinthians 3:18)

Why is character change directly related to time deliberately spent in God's presence?

Because character change is like an apprenticeship. It can also be equated to insects in the pupa or chrysalides stage. It takes time for the morphing to be completed. One needs to be guided gently and to be imparted with new knowledge that did not exist in the subject’s realm. Spending quality time with God is like a tennis player spending a lot of time in the courts practicing in the presence of the coach. When we spend time in God’s presence we learn more about his character and get to trust His Word and listen to His instructions to do the right thing.

Have you noticed a change in the "degree of glory" you're experiencing now compared to a few years ago?

Yes, indeed I have noticed changes in my character. I am more patient and do not complain at every turn. I no longer have an urge to meet people in a pub. I am more tolerant and forgiving. I accept that I am not the center but a fringe player where serving is more than being at the high table.

Why or why not?

The changes I mention above are a direct result of my commitment to learn more about the Good News and to take more time in praying and to pray before an assignment whether secular or business. I also realized that all of the successes I attributed to myself were in fact God’s grace and mercy. I now believe I am like a vehicle with no fuel and cannot get anywhere unless I get refilled at the gas station. Jesus, through the Holy Spirit is that gas station where I need re-filling of my spirit by the Spirit of  God.

On 7/23/2018 at 2:00 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (2 Corinthians 3:18) Why is character change directly related to time deliberately spent in God’s presence? Have you noticed a change in the “degree of glory” you’re experiencing now compared to a few years ago? Why or why not?

a. I know that change is directly related to me spending time in God's presence because when I do there is a personal relationship - He knows all about me, He loves me,  He is my Creator, He tells me secrets, things I didn't know, after a time of fellowship and worship, words of life to my Spirit and I fall more in love with Him and wanting to be in His presence and renewing my mind with His Word.  He is changing my character.  Before, I was running away and the enemy was distracting me with other things. (he is a defeated foe)  Now I realize the Holy Spirit is actually living in me and I need to spend time with Him.  God is not superficial and it should not be a quick Hi and Bye. He is deep, loves us and is in us and wants to change us to be more and more like Him - from Glory to Glory!

b.  Yes, I notice a change.  God has talked to me about really Believing. I had gone through some deep attacks in my thinking from the enemy of my soul.  I needed to renew my mind with the Word of God and get into studying the Word, spending more time with other Christians who believe than people who don't believe.  I learned about being a 3 part being Spirit, Soul and Body and how we are fearfully and wonderfully made.  I wanted to know How to Walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh.  In spending time with Him and wanting more of Him and wanting to be rooted and grounded in Him and He is answering me, making the Word more alive to me.  I love it, falling more in love with Him.  Getting to know Jesus, as the song says, ......There is no greater thing!

(2 Corinthians 3:18) Why is character change directly related to time deliberately spent in God’s presence?

The more time we spend with God, mediate on him, commune with him through the Holy Spirit, we are transformed into his likeness.

Have you noticed a change in the “degree of glory” you’re experiencing now compared to a few years ago? Why or why not?

Yes, I study and read God's word more.  As a result, I have become more humble.  The things that I used to let upset me does not bother me as much anymore.  I witness more to God's people and always ready to give my testimony of God's goodness.

•  

Q2. (2 Corinthians 3:18) 
Why or why not?

God intends that through the ministry of the Holy Spirit we might be made into the image of our Lord Jesus Christ. The Spirit works at transforming us daily into “His likeness” with ever increasing glory. This can be described as an internal transformation of the heart that changes our situation from death to life. As believers we see Jesus with unveiled faces – that is nothing stands between us and the Lord, so this process of sanctification goes on every single day and is directly proportional to the time spent in His presence. This process is never finished in this life: no one can ever say “I’m just like Jesus”. However, the Holy Spirit never ceases in leading us slowly toward the goal of making us more like Christ.
Yes! Praise the Lord! A lot of the rough edges have been smoothed out, but there is still a lot of work that the Spirit has to do. I’m ashamed of what I was. I give Him all the glory for changing me and for all His patience, grace, and mercy shown towards me. It is only through the power of the Holy Spirit that this change is taking place in my life. It is when we start handing over our life and start yielding to the Holy Spirit’s rightful authority, that we submit to Him, and He begins to express the life of Christ through us. This miracle of increasing conformity to Christ works because of my time spent in the presence of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

On 7/23/2018 at 2:00 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (2 Corinthians 3:18) Why is character change directly related to time deliberately spent in God’s presence? Have you noticed a change in the “degree of glory” you’re experiencing now compared to a few years ago? Why or why not?

The more time you spend with the Lord in his Word, Worshipping , Meditating the more you change into who God intended you to be.

Yes, not as much as I was hoping, but I know I need to spend more time in the Word and Meditating on the Word, I also need to let go and let God be God and realize I have a savior who has me.

Q 2. (2 Corinthians 3:18) why is character change directly related to time deliberately spent in God’s presence? Have you noticed a change in the “degree of glory” you’re experiencing now compared to a few years ago? Why not?

2a. Character change is directly noted as one is being transformed by the renewing of their mind. The more we spend in God’s present through His Word, meditation or commune with him via the Holy Spirit, transforms us into his image and His likeness for being in His presence day by day. My time with Him early in the morning is like being on a mountain top surround by peace and tranquility. 

2b. Yes, to a great degree.

2c. I am less disturbed by the changes in our world, knowing that God is in control. I have a measure of understanding of my roll on the stage of life. My spirit seems to be more at peace with those things I cannot change.  Being in his presence have cause me to look at everything different.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2a: A truism: " We become like the people we hang around with.". This is silly but I remember reading that baby ducklings bond with whatever they "see" first when a hatchling. If a turkey walks by at that moment they will follow the turkey as their mother. I've seen ducklings who bonded with a kitten! In the same way, the more time we spend in God's Word, our minds begin to be renewed and aligned with His thoughts. The more time we spend in His Presence, the more we come to understand His great love for us and His total acceptance of us as His sons and daughters. Like a baby duckling, we see "in the mirror" of His Word,  Who God is, and we desire to become like Him, and to follow Him....and so we do, gradually. One day He said "We will be like Him, when we see Him face to face." The transformation will be complete. Our flesh will have been  left behind and our personality, character and spirit will be with Him, ready for our new perfect eternal body.

b. Yes, I have noticed that transformation has been taking place. I had not thought of it, but now that the question has been asked, I do. What an amazing thing to be able to see. How encouraging!

c. Why? I would say it's due to the amount of time I have spent with Him every morning for 46 years......always at least several hours as I soak in His Word, talk to Him about everything under the sun, have learned to listen and ask His opinion about things...and He answers, quite often with a Bible verse which is the perfect answer.  An odd thing started happening some years ago. I'd be at the store or someplace in public, and not knowing a soul, but having spent time with our Father, people would look at me and smile...at times someone walking by would stop and turn suddenly and look back at me and smile. One day a young woman was walking by, suddenly stopped and said "Oh my!" so I stopped to see what was the matter. She said nothing is the matter, but as I passed you I could see a bright light shining around you! Amazing! Very beautiful!"  Then I remembered that I'd prayed that people would see Him in me! He must be shining through this 76 year old face!

• 1 month later...

We will probably always change our character when we hang out with someone for a long time. So being in God’s presence should change our character. I do see the “degree of glory” that I enjoy in myself as compared to a few years ago because I am becoming older. I have also changed the people that I hang out with.

Q2. (2 Corinthians 3:18)

Q. Why is character change directly related to time deliberately spent in God's presence?

A. The more we spend time relating with the Lord God Almighty in fellowship that include worship, meditation on Who  He is, we are transformed into His likeness in character and attitude

Q. Have you noticed a change in the "degree of glory" you're experiencing now compared to a few years ago? Why or why not?

A. Yes. My attitude and character is gradually being transformed to Christ likeness as I spend more time with Him studying His word and meditating in in His word.

• 2 months later...

We are not changed by striving, following a program or a procedure, practicing certain rules, but by a Person – Jesus Christ. Bible says as we behold Him we shall be changed into His likeness. The more we behold Him, the more we are being transformed. The word used for changed is metamorphoo, from which we get our English word metamorphosis. The most common understanding of metamorphosis is that of a butterfly. From egg to larva to pupa to butterfly – each phase is different from the other and has no resemblance to the final stage i.e. butterfly. Similarly we are being transformed now as we behold Him and it will be completed when we see Him face to face for then we shall be like Him. When we spend time with Him it is like looking into the mirror. In the light of the beauty of Him, our flaws become very evident. But the more we spend with Him it becomes all about Him and as John the Baptist said He must increase and I must decrease, will be the attitude of the motto of our life. So this happens as we spend time in His presence.

Yes there is definitely a change compared to years ago, but still a long way to go. I am still a work in progress, being molded in the hands of the Potter.

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2018 at 10:00 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Character change directly related to time deliberately spent in God’s presence because the more time you spend with Him, the more you are transformed to be like Him. In the beginning, man was created in God's image but due to Adam's sin, he died spiritually. So when we become born again, our spirit comes alive and then when we spend time with God, we're changed into his likeness.

Yes, I have noticed a change because I am learning more when I read the word.

• 8 months later...

Q2. (2 Corinthians 3:18) Why is character change directly related to time deliberately spent in God's presence?

Character change is directly related to the time one deliberately spent in God’s presence as it is impossible to spend time in His word and prayer without being transforms into His image.  

Yes, I have, yet not enough

Why or why not?
I feel I have a better understanding of His God's word and I now,  see so many things in a different light than before. 

• 10 months later...

Where there is the Spirit there is Liberty, glory of our Lord. We undergo transformation ourselves as we become the Creation God made before without sin and repent from that sin. Our character changes as we become new.

Over the last few weeks, doing the course, I have learnt and seen the fruits of Time with God. Prayers answered and able to reflect on own actions. My anger is almost gone and able to foster relationship.

• 1 month later...

Time spent in God's presence brings us into an experience of His glory. This process transforms us into the same image from one degree to another. As we worship before the Lord, meditating on Him, singing to Him, speaking to Him, drinking Him in through the word and the Spirit we are tramsformed into His likeness.

I recently developed such a deep hunger and thirst to seek the Lord by communing with Him, praising and worshiping Him, reading the word and speaking to Him. I am yet to discover what He has in store for me, Halleluja !

• 4 weeks later...

When we spend time with Abba, He sees and knows our dedication and our love towards Him, He knows that it is our hearts desire to please Him, therefore He gives us all that we need to please Him, a change in character.

As we read Abbas word we learn how He wants us to live, we strive to do what is pleasing to Him, and when we fail, we repent.

When we approach Abba with a sincere heart, telling Him our concerns issues, problems, He really does answer us, He moves the mountains that block our path, He comforts us, and give us peace, we actually see Him at work. We grow in faith as we spend more time in His presence, because the more time we spend in His presence the more we are blessed with His Glory and Power.

Yes I have.

Why or why not?

My faith has grown, in knowing that God is in control of everything, even when bad things happen I know that God has a plan.

Last night I was verbally abused by text, and voice notes by an ex boyfriend, who claims to know God, because I have changed, because I am not the person I was before, the person he knew. He is still hurt after many years because I had to end the relationship. The environment was not right, Spirit told me to leave, so I left.

The tears I cried last night, were not tears of hurt, but tears of compassion for the pain and the suffering he is still going through, I cant change it, I can only pray for him to truly seek and know Our Awesome Creator, for Fathers Will to be done. All the way through I showed, kindness, gentleness, love, even offering to send him money when he said he was running low on electric, it did not matter what I said, the abuse from his own selfish desires, his untamed emotions kept coming, one was wishing someone would slit my throat. I have so much faith in My Father, not only for my protection, faith even when it comes to the time and manner of my death, that it will be His will.

Psalm 24 :1 says, “The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it”. Therefore, it holds then that everything that happens in heaven or on earth is subject to God's commands. He is in charge of all things. Nothing can take place without Him sanctioning it.

Love and Blessings to you all.. xx

• 7 months later...

I particularly enjoyed reading the responses for this question. It's delightful that so many people perceive themselves as growing in character, that they are not today what they were months or years ago -- transformation has occurred!

I do think that character change is directly proportional to time spent in His presence, but then again, most things in life get better when time and effort is put into them. I guess I'm saying I'm not surprised that people grow in faith and character when they prioritize their quiet time. But, if I spent two, four or six hours in prayer and study, would my spiritual growth would double or triple accordingly?  I don't think so. Time needs to pass as well as the time to practice what has been learned. Testing from God happens, too. I need to study, wait and practice what I learn from Him and then endure His tests.

Personally, I've been through four years(!) deepening relationship with God as I am slowly deal with anguish, despair and suffering. I can say that my character has changed, perhaps substantially, though I dip into hopelessness and despair occasionally. I would love to feel His presence, hear His audible voice, and have a peaceful, confident faith that this time will end.

My fear is that God is good to many, but not to all: some people were born and died in captivity; the godly apostles all died gruesome deaths, etc. There's no guarantee that a better character will yield a more fulfilling, joy-filled life.

My other fear is that once character has been developed, God will test it in ways severe and overwhelming. I fear growing in Him because ... this sounds horrible ... because of He may force me to endure more of what I've already been through

• 1 year later...

Q2.Character change is a very slow gradual change as we spend more time in the presence of God. As we get to know Him through His word we realise that the things of God are the only things worth pursuing. As we do this we are changing more and more into the likeness of God. We realise that being in His presence is where true contentment and happiness is to be found. Unfortunately the mundane things of this world can often get in the way and reduce that precious time in the Lord’s presence. It has to be a priority in our lives otherwise character change will not take place.

I have seen changes in my character over the years, but feel I have delayed the process by not spending enough time with God. I have never spent four hours in prayer. So often I seem to get to a point of not knowing what to say, or all my prayers seem to be requests or my mind wanders. So although I have seen changes, I have a long way to go. I praise and thank God for His patience with me, and His faithfulness towards me.