JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Worship and Spirit Fulness

• 3 months later...

Q11.3             How is singing worship linked to being filled with the Spirit?    *    How is singing worship linked to joy?       (Ephesians 5:18-20)

'Sing unto the Lord a new song'  and do it daily for we have much to be thankful for, even on the worse of days.   Sing out like JOB when at his worst he boasted in the Lord. His heart and ours should be abundtly overflowing with praise. Even for those of us that have not been blessed with a sweet voice , God hears all our Praises as a "sweet incense into His nostrills". I am sure HE blesses us proportionately to our praise. We could sing and dance like David did , where he probably appeared drunk, although with pure joy. 

The Joy of the Lord is our strenght and when we give ourselves to worship, with body and voice , the Holy Spirit fills and refills us  over and over again.  

"18  Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. 19  Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, 20  always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." (Ephesians 5:18-20)

How is singing worship linked to being filled with the Spirit?

I am in agreement with this excerpt from the lesson: “Singing praise is a spiritual act, prompted by the Holy Spirit, a kind of musical "Abba, Father," where the Spirit "testifies with our spirits" once again that we indeed are God's children (Romans 8:15-16)

As we praise the Lord, giving Him honor and glory; as we focus on Him more so than ourselves in a song / hymn we being to reflect upon His majestic, His goodness, His grace, His love our spirits connects with His spirit.  As His anointing is acknowledge a quickening occurs; The Spirit Itself beareth witness with our spirit.     

How is singing worship linked to joy?

Our spirits respond with joy.

Q3. (Ephesians 5:18-20) How is singing worship linked to being filled with the Spirit? How is singing worship linked to joy?

When we sing to the Lord we forget about our problems and the world outside and concentrate on Him. On who He is and what He has done for us. It draws us out of ourselves and into His presence almost. Through the Spirit, we are lifted up and drawn closer to Him. We are able to be filled with wonder and awe all over as we not only sing the choruses but contemplate what they mean to us. It is then that the Spirit can empty us and fill us and we become overwhelmed once again as we consider all that He is and all He has done for us. We become more grateful and full of love for Him.

When we sing songs in worship with other believers it is as if God is suddenly there among us. We almost can feel his presence and we become full of joy at the thought that He loved us enough to die for us and that He wants to be with us. Everything else is forgotten as we sing to Him with our whole hearts and souls.

(Ephesians 5:18-20) How is singing worship linked to being filled with the Spirit? How is singing worship linked to joy?

Singing worship is linked to being filled with the Spirit is a form of worship that allows us to give thanks to God.  Singing will help you to focus more on God and forget what you are going thru.  It is like a refresh energy that you receive to keep on pushing.  When we think of God's goodness it will bring you joy. 

Q3. (Ephesians 5:18-20) How is singing worship linked to being filled with the Spirit? How is singing worship linked to joy?

It draws one’s attention from self, the world and worldly desires and onto the Lord instead. It brings us closer to God by showing us who He is through worship and makes us think less of self and more of others and more of Jesus. We think of caring for the least of these when we worship. When we worship it releases joy in the Lord. Because Nehemiah 8:10 states The Joy of the Lord is my strength. When you have the joy of the Lord you are strong in him and not self. Because you learn to rely on God and not self. When we learn to realize who is really in control of our lives and not ourselves we realize who really cares for us. We are sing to praises to God because we are full of joy unspeakable and gladness. We must do it to please Him not ourselves.

QUESTION 3^LESSON 11. (Ephesians 5:18-20)

After admonishing the Ephesians on the danger of getting drunk on wine, Paul does not leave them in a vacuum. He gives an alternative in the form of getting filled with the Spirit. He goes on to explain how speaking to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs would help in getting them filled with the Spirit. (Ephesians 5:18-19).

When Paul suggested an alternative to drunkenness he implies that the joy the Ephesians realize in drinking and debauchery could be substituted by a purer joy that can be experienced by people filled with the Spirit.  When we praise God with all or hearts, all our minds and all our souls we can spontaneously become aware of God’s presence with us and with that awareness comes joy.

I think back to when I was younger, like early elementary school years of a small church that was across from a back alley behind my grandmother’s place. It was a small place and even though I have never been in it, I think of it almost in a cartoon-like sense. Not that I saw it as a place of entertainment or look upon it in a humorous way but looking back at the place (which has been gone for years), I see in my mind a small, dark red shingled building just a swaying back and forth as the people sang every Sunday morning. I would come to know the pastor a few years later when I started delivering newspapers in the neighborhood and once again, looking back I see in my mind two very Spirit filled people. I wish there was a better answer I could give for the question, but I sat here and looked at it for a long time and this was the only thing that would come to mind that seemed to fit.

Singing liked to joy is talked about in the Bible, especially in the Old Testament, and even more so in the life of King David. David quite often sang, and even danced in the Spirit. It is not uncommon for a person to sing when joy overtakes the mind on the worldly side of the fence. I really wish Christians would come to life with singing in the same way that people do at a rock concert. Of course, it would probably be deemed as “politically incorrect” or a song leader to rally a congregation to life with holy hands lifted to God, carrying on and really living it up in the same way I have seen many rock singers do. To act like that in the meeting place of the church would no doubt draw heavy fire in the same way did from his wife Michal in 2nd Samuel 6:16. Maybe that was why it seemed so hard to answer these questions at first. I’m not saying its like that everywhere, only in about 99.99% of worship settings today. Actually, maybe not that high. I have seen, though I never attended concerts with Christian Rock bands performing, and I could see things as they were meant to be, at-least in my eyes. I have heard countless pastors complain about how Christian rock just isn’t what God intended. In their eyes it should be the same songs that have been played for the past 100 years with guitars and Marshall amps having no place in the church. I’m sure that before electricity became available the world over, a Hammond organ would have been viewed as evil and having no place in the church.

Not sure how I got so far off subject and I apologize for the rant. I was going to start over again but the song would have remained the same.

Thank you so much Pastor Ralph for this course.

Thank you also for the forum. I learn so much from reading other people’s posts.

Q3. (Ephesians 5:18-20) 

Spirit-filled believers have a song of joy in their hearts and are full of thanksgiving. As we focus on the goodness of God and His mercies toward us, we are filled with an attitude of joy and thankfulness to God, which we want to share with others. One way of doing this is to sing to His glory. Music has always been an important part of our worship in praise of the Lord, and since we can regard it as speaking directly to God, the words should be spoken with solemnity and awe.  
The spirit-filled worship is a joyful celebration of God’s mighty deeds. It is through worship that we are transformed, and it’s the influence of Holy Spirit that causes us to sing praises, make music, and give thanks to the Lord. The unbeliever fills their lives with wine and pleasures of the world, but the believer is happy when they allow God to fill them with His Spirit – this produces lasting joy.
When filled with the Holy Spirit we give thanks to God our Father in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. 

On 7/23/2018 at 2:01 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

It draws you closer to God, the only thing you think, know and feel is God.

It sets you free, I feel happy, it makes you forget everything and puts me before the Lord.

On 7/23/2018 at 2:01 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.  Because when you are filled with the Spirit you can't help but sing praises to the Lord for His goodness, mercy and love and for all He is and all He has done.         The Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are His children and what better to give Him thanks and praise.

b.  Singing praises and worship to Him brings us joy, peace and comfort and thrills our very being.  Loving especially, when He brings songs of remembrance to our hearts for exactly what we need at that particular time. 

3a. Singing worship is linked to being filled with the Spirit, similar to a person being drunk with wine is control by alcohol, just as a Spirit filled Christian is controlled by the Holy Spirit. My morning devotion and study is with music and it set the tone as I look into His word, oh the joy that fills my soul.

1. Singing praise is a spiritual act, prompted by the Holy Spirit, a kind of musical "Abba, Father," where the Spirit "testifies with our spirits."  Singing worship has a way of bringing us into a renewed sense of God's presence. We think about what we are singing and the words gets into our heart which helps us to worship God. We think about how good God is and what he has done for us.

As we worship and sing we can sense afresh the Spirit's fullness and joy. The Spirit transforms us through worship. We keep our mind on God and look at the goodness of being saved. That brings us joy and we are able to serve him joyful

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:01 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3a: Worship may involve our whole being....We use our arms raised in worship, our hands clapping in worship, our feet and body in worship and dance, and our voice speaking praise and worship as well as singing, as the Psalms and Paul admonish us to practice. When we are filled with the Holy Spirit, worship becomes a natural outflow of our love and gratitude to our Lord, for choosing, calling, saving us and dwelling inside us in personal relationship and intimacy with Him.

b. Singing in worship is an outflow of our joy of being His own beloved daughter or son. I saw the sweetest example of this when we purchased a cute bird feeder, much like a house, with 6 open sides and a pointed roof. A few days after the birds discovered there was a variety of seeds in it, one we named Chirpy flew to the little knob at the peak of the roof, pushed out his chest, looked all around then up to the sky and sang the most joyful and beautiful song!!!! I said, There is a perfect example of rejoicing in song and  praise to the Lord! (I want to remember that "picture" when I'm struggling to praise in the midst of pain and hardship! Praise is not only commanded in Scripture, but it's medicine for our sin damaged souls! It not only pleases Him, it lifts us up as well, and changes our perspective on our circumstances!)

Hebrews 2:12 was a life changing verse for me when I received revelation about it's meaning pertaining to corporate worship and praise: For He (Jesus) says, "I will declare Your (the Father's) Name to My brethren in the midst of the worshipping congregation. I (Jesus) will sing hymns of praise to You (the Father). Ps 22:22

When I understood that Jesus in me praises His (and my Father) through my voice in corporate worship, all hesitancy vanished regarding my weak or scratchy voice! That matters not! But that I allow Him to worship the Father through my mind, spirit and body, gave singing in church a whole new wonderful meaning!

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Ephesians 5:18-20)

Q. How is singing worship linked to being filled with the Spirit? How is singing worship linked to joy?

A. Singing ignites in us some joy and raises our emotion on higher ground.

This is even more so when we are filled with Holy Spirit,, He helps us to sing worship songs to God. This makes us more aware of God's presence and this brings joy to us.

• 2 months later...

We become like the one we worship. If we worship the Lord, we are being changed into His likeness. Bible says at the presence of the Lord there is fullness of joy and at His right hand there are pleasures forever more. When we worship Him, we become more aware of His presence and this presence brings us joy. This awareness is brought about by the Holy Spirit in us and when we are filled with the Spirit of God worship will be our natural response. We were made to worship Him and that’s our purpose and we fulfill that purpose when we worship Him. He is not only the audience of our worship, but it is only through Him that we are able to worship Him.

When we sing to Him, He becomes the focus of our attention. We tend to gaze at the Lord and glance at the situations around. He becomes our focus, our priority. When that happens everything else will become shadows in the light of Him. His joy fills our heart like new wine and renews us and refreshes us. The joy of the Lord becomes our strength.

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2018 at 10:01 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Paul said to not lift up spirits by drinking water, but rather by filling ourselves with the Spirit. And by worshiping God, we are being changed spiritually and God begins working in our lives. 

Singing worship is linked to joy because our spirits get lifted when we praise God. In heaven, there is continuous worship as well as joy everlasting.

• 8 months later...

Q3. (Ephesians 5:18-20) How is singing worship linked to being filled with the Spirit?

A drunk person is influence by wine, that’s reckless but a person filled with the Spirit can worship in singing, is being influence by the Holy Spirit.

God is a spirit, and when we worship, we must worship in spirit and truth. The Joy of the Lord is our salvation.  I rise early to give praise, with Music and have found the Holy Spirit fill my very soul with joy.

The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; Therefore, my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song I will praise Him. Psalm 28:7 (NKJV)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

God created us in a way that music affects us at an emotional level as well as spiritual level. Singing worship has a way of bringing us into a renewed sense of God's presence. The Spirit transform us through worship.

The Apostle Paul suggests that as we worship we can sense afresh the Spirit's fullness and joy. Singing worship is linked to being filled with the Spirit and Christian joy.

• 4 weeks later...

Because it stirs up The Holy Spirit inside us, as we sing His praises, it brings us closer to Abba. We submit and surrender to Him as we sing His praises.

We feel joy in the presence of the Lord, and praising and worshiping Him brings us into His presence.

Love and Blessings to you all.. xx

• 7 months later...

I'm not much of a singer, but i can say that when I make mosaics, sculpt or paint, I feel a zen-like presence of the Lord, a peace deep within. Perhaps this is what singing does to most people?

(I loved Uncle Dave's story above about the little church alive with singing that he heard as a child.)

• 1 year later...

Q3. When we are Spirit filled we want to worship and praise God and for many of us to sing helps and draws us nearer to God. I have found that as I draw closer to God I just want to sing and tell Him how much I love Him. Words of songs so often express my feelings so much better than I do. 
The closer we draw to God and the more He occupies our whole being the happier we become and joy fills our hearts as nothing else can.